Harry Potter and the Potions Professor by Kristeh
Past Featured StorySummary: HBP Alternative Universe. Harry acquires a surprising new ally as he struggles to overcome his grief and accept the burden of the Prophecy.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 87032 Read: 238232 Published: 01 Sep 2007 Updated: 04 Jun 2008
Chapter 25 by Kristeh
Author's Notes:
Hi, everyone! I have to say thank you again for voting for "HP and the Potions Professor" to be a Featured Story! I still can't believe it. There are so many wonderful stories here; it's an incredible honor, and I'm so very happy, and humbled, too. Thank you!

Here is the next chapter. Sorry it's taken a little while...I was working on my new story, "Slave Child", and from now on, I'll probably alternate between the two.

There's not much Harry and Severus interaction in this one, but there is Trio and Severus interaction. I wanted to show Severus, Ron, and Hermione beginning to establish a better relationship, too. I hope you'll enjoy it.

If you remember, Hermione had just informed the boys that she would have to leave Hogwarts...

Harry and Ron stared at her in speechless amazement for a long moment. Harry was sure he must have misunderstood; it was impossible to imagine Hermione not being at school.

"Leaving?" Ron finally managed to sputter. "Is this a joke? You can't leave, Hermione!"

She took a deep shuddery breath and swiped at her face with the back of her hand. Ron pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

"Th...Thank you, Ron," she sniffed as she dried her eyes. "I don't want to leave, you know," she continued. "I love Hogwarts. I...I love both of you. You're the best friends I've ever had. We're like a family. But I just don't have any choice."

"Is it your parents?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. Her eyes filled with tears once more, and she hastily dabbed at them with Ron's handkerchief. Ron slipped an arm around her shoulders and the three of them leaned back against the sofa, sitting side by side, with Hermione in the middle.

"I've never told my parents about Voldemort or Death Eaters or about how some wizards are so prejudiced against Muggles and Muggle-borns," she began. Her voice trembled at first, but gained strength as she went on.

"And I've always felt guilty because normally I'm very honest with Mum and Dad. But I knew that if they thought I was in danger, they'd make me leave school and not have any contact with the wizarding world at all. And I just couldn't bear that."

She looked over at Harry. "You aren't the only one who never had friends before coming here, Harry. No one ever beat me up or picked on me really, but no one ever liked me or wanted to be my friend, either."

She smiled a small, sad smile. "I can't blame them. I know I can be a know-it-all prat."

"You are not!" Ron said fiercely, scowling at the imaginary children who had slighted Hermione. He seemed to have conveniently forgotten that he had often called her a know-it-all prat in the first years of their friendship, even if it had (usually) been done in affection.

Hermione squeezed his hand. "Mum and Dad love me, of course, very much. But they both work long hours, and when I was growing up, I spent a lot of time by myself or with babysitters. I used to imagine that I had brothers and sisters just so I would have someone to play with and talk to. Pathetic, isn't it?"

"If you think that's pathetic, then you don't even want to know all the things I used to pretend to get by at the Dursleys," Harry told her.

She squeezed his hand, too. "Both my parents are only children, and all my grandparents are dead, so it was always just the three of us. Mum and Dad are solitary people, too, although they don't seem to mind it. Maybe because they have each other. But the point is, that on the weekends, they were more likely to take me to the museum or the theatre, instead of having people come over. So I really never learned how to make friends."

"Anyway, I was awfully lonely a lot of the time. I was so excited when I got my Hogwarts letter, because it was a chance to start over in a brand new place." She suddenly looked a little shy and almost embarrassed. "I wanted to make friends with you two, that day on the train, and later on in Charms class, Ron. But since I didn't really know how, I went about it wrong. You know, I've always been grateful to that mountain troll."

"We are, too," Harry said. Ron didn't say anything, but he did hold Hermione a little closer.

"Well, I'm taking forever to say it, but I wanted you to understand why I didn't tell Mum and Dad about all the things that have happened. I couldn't tell them, because even though I love my parents, I felt like I would just die if I had to leave Hogwarts and my friends here, especially the two of you."

"We understand," Harry remarked.

Ron nodded. "Yeah, completely. I mean, I could write a book about all the things I've never told my parents, Hermione."

Hermione smiled again, but then it faded as she said, "But now it's different. We're not just having adventures at school. There's a war going on, and a lot of people are being killed, especially Muggles and Muggle-borns."

"For several weeks now, I've been thinking that I ought to try to get my parents to go into hiding. But that's such a huge, drastic step, the only way I could convince them would be if I told them everything. And once they understand how dangerous things are right now, they'll whisk me away with them."

"I've kept putting it off, because I just can't bear to leave. But today I realised I can't put it off any longer. Tomorrow it might be Professor McGonagall coming to tell me that my parents are dead."

Tears began rolling down Hermione's cheeks again, and she leaned against Ron who held her close. Harry held her hand and tried to think of some way to solve this dilemma. They couldn't let Hermione go...she was one of them. They were a trio, and they would all be devastated without one another.

But they had to find a way to protect her parents, too. Hermione hadn't said it...she probably hadn't wanted to make him feel guilty...but Harry knew that the Grangers were in particular danger. Not only were they Muggles, but their daughter was Harry Potter's best friend. Those two facts made them a very inviting target for Voldemort.

He couldn't help but remember this past summer, when he'd thought that it would be better if he stopped being friends with Ron and Hermione because being close to him put them in danger. For the first time in a long while, he wondered if he'd made the right decision in not following through on that.

But really, it was already too late for that. Even if he had broken things off, it probably wouldn't have mattered by that point. Everyone knew about the Golden Trio. To protect his friends, he should have cut them out of his life years ago. But years ago, he hadn't realised how bad things would get.

Hermione glanced over and saw his face. "Harry, I know what you're thinking, and don't. Just don't. It isn't your fault that there are some sick, crazy people out there. I love you and Ron, and I'll never regret being friends with you."

The three of them hugged one another tightly, and Harry thought again that there just had to be a way to protect the Grangers and still keep Hermione at Hogwarts. He was thinking of possible scenarios, each one more fantastic than the last, when Hermione pulled away with a sigh.

"I better go speak with McGonagall about going home. Harry, I'm sorry, but I just couldn't live with myself if something happened to Mum and Dad, and I could have prevented it. Ron, will you come with me?"

"Sure," Ron said heavily. "But what if McGonagall won't let you go?"

"Then I'll sneak into Hogsmeade and find a way to Floo to the Leaky Cauldron. Once I'm in London, I can take a bus to their office," Hermione replied immediately. Obviously she'd given her plans some thought.

"I wish Dumbledore were here," Ron muttered. "Maybe he could think of something else we could do."

Harry sat up straight. Dumbledore wasn't there, and none of them knew when he would return. But there was someone else who might be able to help.

"Hermione, tell Severus about your parents." Harry grabbed her hand. "He'd help us, I know he would. And maybe he could think of a way for you to stay at Hogwarts and still protect your parents."

"Tell Professor Snape?" Hermione sounded a little doubtful.

"Yeah, Harry's right!" Ron pounced on the idea like Crookshanks with a mouse, and in spite of the seriousness of the situation, Harry almost laughed. Only the prospect of losing Hermione could have made Ron so desperate that he would be eager to go to Severus Snape for help.

Hermione looked at the closed door to Severus' office a little nervously. "All right," she finally agreed. "But only if you both come with me."

"Hang on, I'll get him." Harry went to knock on the door. "Hey, Severus, could you come out here? Please? We need to talk to you. We've got a big problem."

Severus opened the door and looked at Harry, then beyond him to where Ron and Hermone were sitting on the sofa, watching him anxiously. If he were surprised at Harry's request, he didn't show it, but only nodded.

"Very well." He came into the living room and sat down in a chair across from the sofa. Harry went to perch on the ottoman before the chair and began explaining Hermione's problem.

After a few sentences, she took over, though she stared down at her clasped hands as she talked, not looking up at Severus until the end.

"And so Harry thought that you might be able to think of some way for me to stay at school, but for my parents to be safe, too." Hermione's dark eyes were filled with both fear and hope as she finally looked Severus in the face.

The professor was quiet for a long while. The three kids waited, hardly daring to breathe as Severus considered the situation.

"I have to say, Miss Granger, that under almost any other circumstances, I would agree with your parents, that it is their right and their duty to protect you, even if it is by taking you out of school and into hiding."

Harry stared at him with a sinking feeling while Ron started to exclaim indignantly when Severus silenced him with a glare and went on.

"However, in this case, something is telling me that we need you here, Miss Granger, that in some way or another you will have a vital part to play in winning the war. Therefore, we must find a way to safeguard your parents while keeping you here at Hogwarts."

Severus frowned in thought. "I believe the best option would be to alter your parents' memories and then place them under a Compulsion Charm."

"A Compulsion Charm? Isn't that sort of similar to the Imperius Curse?" Hermione asked in a timid voice.

Severus nodded. "Yes, it is. You would have to understand that what I am suggesting is not strictly legal, or ethical, under most circumstances. But a Compulsion Charm is not an Unforgivable. It's not quite as bad as the Imperius Curse. The Wizangamot has made exceptions for extenuating circumstances, and I believe our situation qualifies. After all, we would not be performing this Charm in order to harm someone, but to protect them from a very real threat."

"What exactly would we do, sir?" Hermione asked.

"Your parents must be persuaded to go into hiding. At the same time, they must be persuaded to allow you to remain at school, where you are essentially in training to fight a war. This is the crux of the problem, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well," Severus shrugged. "We need to alter your parents' memories. We must make them believe they are entirely different people...people who have no daughter to worry about. Then we plant a compulsion in their minds, such as a burning desire to relocate to Australia. I imagine that they would be safe enough there."

"Brilliant," Ron breathed, and there was look of admiration on his face.

Severus arched an eyebrow at him. "Thank you, Mr. Weasley," he said dryly. Then he turned his attention back to Hermione and he was perfectly serious.

"There are risks involved, Miss Granger, and you must be aware of them. First, as I said, Compulsion Charms are controversial, and should anyone ever discover our plan, it is possible that you could find yourself in some legal trouble. I believe we would be considered innocent because of the situation, but there is a chance we would not be."

"Also, and this is likely to be more crucial to you, I cannot promise that your parents' original memories could be restored. Normally, they can be, but not always."

There was silence while Hermione bit her lip, looking troubled, and Ron and Harry watched her sympathetically.

"Why don't you take a few days and think it over?" Severus suggested.

Hermione looked him right in the eye. "Professor Snape, do you think my parents are in danger?"

Severus slowly nodded. "Yes."

"Then my decision's made," Hermione said. Then she looked uncharacteristically helpless. "But I don't know how to do either one of those Charms. Could you teach me, sir? Please?"

"I could, but they are both quite difficult to master. Since time is of the essence, I should probably go with you and perform them myself," Severus told her.

"Why don't we all go?" Ron suggested. "Harry and I could be there for moral support." He looked at Severus. "If that's all right."

Severus shrugged and Harry nodded.

"Should we just go now?" Hermione asked uncertainly.

Severus shrugged again. "That's up to you, Miss Granger, but if it were me, I wouldn't waste any time."

"All right, then," Hermione stood up. "I'm ready. How are we going to London, sir?"

"We'll walk out past the gates and Apparate," Severus also stood. "Why don't we all fetch our cloaks? It's cold outside."

Ron and Hermione Flooed off to Gryffindor Tower and returned a few minutes later with their cloaks. Then they all Flooed up to the Great Hall and walked outside.

It was growing bitter cold and the four of them hurried in silence past the school gates to a point where they could Apparate. Once there, Severus cast a Muffliato spell around them, even though no one else was in sight.

"Everyone join hands," he instructed.

Harry reached for Severus', while holding onto Hermione with his other. Ron took her other hand.

"Your address, Miss Granger?"

Hermione told him, and an instant later Harry felt that sickening, squeezing crush that he'd felt when Dumbledore had taken him to the Burrow by Side-Along Apparition. An instant later it was over and they were standing in a neat, spotlessly clean living room done in soft pastel colors.

A family portrait hung over the mantel, showing a younger Hermione, a tall handsome man with a pleasant face and thick, graying brown hair, and an attractive woman who looked exactly as Hermione would look in her forties.

Hermione's eyes filled with tears as she stared up at it, and she held tightly onto Ron's and Harry's hands.

Severus conjured bags out of the air and handed one to each of them. "We must clear the house of any trace of you, Miss Granger." He gestured towards the portrait. "Family portraits, photo albums, old books or toys. Put everything in these bags."

They went to work, moving through the house room by room. It was a two-story brick townhouse, and everything was neat, well-ordered, and lovely. It was exactly the kind of house Harry could imagine Hermione growing up in. He noticed that Ron seemed to be especially quiet and when the two of them were alone in the kitchen, Ron stepped close and said quietly, "I guess the Burrow doesn't really compare to this, does it?"

Harry gave him a look of exasperation. "Ron, your house is great. I love it, and so does Hermione. It's not like this, but it doesn't have to be. We love the Burrow because your family is there and you guys love one another, and you make everybody feel welcome and happy. And if I ever hear you putting the Burrow down again, I may have to punch you. Now, quit worrying about stupid stuff and just be there for Hermione."

Ron stared at him for a second like he didn't know how to respond. Then he gave Harry a light slap on the back and the corners of his mouth turned up. "Yeah, you're right. Thanks, mate."

Just then they heard Hermione calling their names from upstairs and hurried to join her. She stood in the doorway of the first room on the left of the hall.

"Would you guys like to see my room?" She asked. "It may be the last time I'll ever be in it."

They nodded and Ron took her hand again as they went into a bedroom done in pale blue and yellow. The bed, desk, night table, and wardrobe were of polished cherry wood, and there was a floral print comforter on the bed and matching curtains at the windows. Several pictures hung on the walls. One was an Impressionist seaside scene in swirly light colours, but the others were photos of Hermione, Ron, and Harry that had been taken at Hogwarts. It was a little odd to see himself smiling and waving from the walls, Harry thought.

The bookshelves were organised, but crammed with books, predictably, and a small rocking chair sat in one corner with a stuffed white kitten sitting in it.

Hermione smiled and walked over to touch her fingers to the toy. "Miss Kitty. Not a very original name, I know, but I was only five when I got her. She was always my favorite toy."

"It's a beautiful room, Hermione," Ron said, coming over to place a hand on her shoulder.

They helped put all of Hermione's belongings in the bags and then went through the house one last time, double-checking to be sure they'd gotten everything. Then Severus flicked his wand and the bags shrank until they were small enough to easily fit in a pocket. By then it was time for the Grangers to return home from work.

"How do you want to do this?" Severus asked Hermione. "Would you like a minute alone to speak with them first?"

She hesitated, but finally shook her head, still looking torn. "I'd have to try to pretend everything's all right, and I'd probably just start crying and then they'd ask a bunch of questions. It'll be better if we just go ahead and stupefy them."

That's what they did. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Severus hid in the kitchen when the Grangers came in. Severus surreptitiously peered through the doorway and aimed his wand at them. A moment later, both Hermione's parents lay peacefully sleeping on the floor.

"Can we move them, please?" Hermione choked. "I don't like seeing them lying on the floor like that."

So Ron and Harry levitated the Grangers back to their bedroom and arranged them so they were side-by-side on the bed. Severus stepped close to each one in turn and placed his wand at their temples. He murmured the incantations, and then looked at Hermione, hovering in the doorway.

"It's done."

Hermione slowly walked over to the bed and leaned over to kiss her mother and father on the forehead.

"Mum, Dad, I'm so sorry. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but I'm just trying to keep you safe. I hope you would understand. I'll see you again, I promise. I love you."

She turned and flung herself into Ron's arms. He held her and patted her back. Harry wanted to go to them, too, but something told him that maybe Ron and Hermione should have this moment alone. He walked over to where Severus was waiting, looking a bit awkward.

"Thank you," Harry said softly.

Severus placed an arm around his shoulders. "You're welcome."

After a while, Hermione calmed down. She took one last long look at her parents and then went over to Harry and Severus.

"I'm ready."

Severus walked back to the bed and waved his wand in a circular motion over the Grangers. "They should wake within the next fifteen minutes. They'll believe they are Wendall and Monica Wilkins, a childless couple with an urgent desire to move to Sydney, Australia."

They Apparated back outside the Hogwarts school gates, and retraced their steps back through the Great Hall to Floo down to Severus' and Harry's rooms. They had missed dinner, so Severus ordered some shepherd's pie from the kitchens and Ron and Hermione ate with Harry and the professor. They were all quiet, and every once in a while, Hermione's eyes would fill with tears again.

But before she and Ron left to go back to their dormitory, Hermione turned to Severus. "Professor Snape, I believe that you've saved my parents' lives. Thank you."

She threw her arms around him, and then jumped back and Flooed away, leaving Severus, as well as Harry and Ron, staring after her in shock.

Severus kept track of the Grangers and ten days later, he informed Hermione that her parents had sold their townhouse and left for Australia.

Two days after that, they learned that Death Eaters had come in the night, destroyed the Grangers' former home, and killed the Muggle neighbors who lived on either side.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1398