An Old Man's Meddling by Severitus
Past Featured StorySummary: It all starts when Harry misses the train, and his worst enemy has to take him home. Sometimes all it takes is truth to end hatred.....
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 31155 Read: 48659 Published: 29 Jan 2005 Updated: 14 Mar 2007
What in the....?! by Severitus

It was absolutely, positively the most hideous thing Harry had ever seen. And judging by the way Hagrid was pacing back and forth beside the kitchen table where the thing lay, Harry was pretty sure he'd never seen its like either. Dumbledore had come to fetch Harry late in the afternoon, having somehow or another convinced Poppy to let him go. Now, Harry, Snape, and Hagrid stood in Hagrid's hut, all eyes focused the monstrous carcass splayed on the table. Even dead the thing was frightening, Harry noted. The eyes that had formerly been filled with hellish fire were now empty black sockets, as if indeed its eyes actually /had/ been made of flame. The body was perhaps the worst, all five feet of it seemed to resemble no one creature, and yet many at the same time. It was a mismatched creation, as if nature had been unable to decide on one single species, and had instead taken a piece of each. The head resembled some repulsive cross between a lizard and a goblin, angled and hairless, with that horrible, wicked grin still baring fangs even in death. Its body was harder to place, for while its back was a sleek skin of spine-ridged scales, its spindly legs were coated with coarse fur, and a mangy, lion-like mane sprouted from just above the shoulders. Harry shivered slightly, remembering the sight of the ghostly eyes floating toward him through the air, and the feel of the wickedly hooked talons tearing into his skin.

"Any luck, Hagrid?" Dumbledore asked, setting his cup of tea on the table next to the beast. Snape was leaning in a nearby corner, staring at the creature with a mix of disgust and confusion. Hagrid stopped his pacing and leaned one hand on the table, scratching his bearded chin thoughtfully.

"I'm sorry ta say I've never seen nothin' like it." he said, "Though I do recognize /parts/ o' it, if that's a help." he said, then sat down heavily in the wooden chair across the table from Dumbledore.

"Parts of it?" Snape asked, lifting his gaze from the creature, one eyebrow raised at the gamekeeper.

"Yeah. That face is pure cave-gremlin, don't have any o' those in this part o' the country. And those scales are just like a dragons. The rest o' it looks like a common critter, a lion's mane, lizard tail, and those claws....some sort of diggin' thing, can't place it exactly." Hagrid said, brows furrowed in concentration.

"Then it must be the result of some sort of magical fusion.....though I've honestly never heard of anything this drastic before. The exchange of one or two features between species, yes, but not an entirely new creature...." Dumbledore said thoughtfully, and Hagrid grunted in reply.

"Seems so. What do ya think, Professor Snape? This is somethin' a potion would do, innit?" Hagrid said, turning to face the Potions Master. He remained silent for a moment, his eyes focused sharply on the dead creature.

"Yes," he said, standing away from the wall to get a closer look at the carcass, "Several complex potions are required for an inter-species fusion, but as Albus already said, it has never been used to such a degree. Something, and someone, very powerful would be required to create something like this. It's far beyond even my capabilities as a Potions Master."

"Could it be Voldemort?" Harry said, and instantly all eyes in the room turned on him, Hagrid cringing slightly.

"Why do you say that, Harry? Do you have reason to believe that it was him?" Dumbledore said, the serious tone of his voice making Harry slightly nervous. Slowly, he nodded, raising one hand to lightly trace the lightning bolt scar.

"My scar woke me up when the creature came into my room. I'd felt something earlier in the day too, something to do with the forest near here. I think the thing must have been hiding out here before it snuck into the castle." he said, casting a guilty gaze down toward the table top.

"And you thought it wise not to mention this?!" Snape snapped angrily, eyes flashing. Harry sunk lower in his chair, and was extremely grateful when Dumbledore spoke up, obviously to avoid adding to Snape's fury.

"Why don't you tell us exactly what happened, you mentioned something about the forest?" he said, leaning toward his young student. In the corner, Snape slumped back against the wall once again, arms crossed in frustration.

And so Harry told them about his scar burning when he'd glanced at the particular stand of trees, and he told them about hearing the creature in his room, the floating eyes, and finally the attack and rescue. Snape spoke briefly as well, taking up at the point at which Harry had passed out. When the tale was complete, the tea cups were empty and the sun was flaring orange as it began to dip beneath the treetops.

Dumbledore and Hagrid both wore expressions of worry and slight apprehension, but Snape simply seemed to be angrier than before.

"So he knows Harry's here, then...." Hagrid mumbled, nervously playing with the teacup that he held in his palms. Dumbledore nodded.

"It seems so, but it doesn't seem as if Hogwarts' warding spells will do much good if he's recruiting creatures like these. The spells weren't designed to keep out animals. We'll have to make some adjustments....." Dumbledore said, then sighed heavily as he rose from his chair. He looked as if he was going to say something more, but a sharp intake of breath from Snape stopped him shortly. The man had stiffened, his facial features momentarily frozen in a mix of slight fear, pain, and surprise. Harry noted with curiosity that he was clutching one forearm in a claw-like grip, his jaws clenched tightly. Snape's eyes snapped up to meet Dumbledore's concerned gaze, and the older wizard immediately joined the younger in the corner, where they shared a few brief, whispered words. Snape then nodded grimly, and dashed quickly out the door without a glance behind. The Headmaster's face seemed pained about something as he stared at the closed door, his eyes swirling with a mix of emotions as he waged some inner war. When he turned back to the table, he looked tired and a little sad, the blue of his eyes dulled slightly.

"What's going on?" Harry asked, eyes wide and body tense with concern.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that Harry, not yet anyway. I'm sure you'll find out for yourself soon enough." he said, and raised a hand at Harry's waiting protest, "I'll not say a word. Let's return to the castle now, I'm sure Poppy will be furious with me for keeping you away so long."

After their thanks and goodbyes had been given, Harry trudged out the door after the Headmaster, glancing around to see if Professor Snape was still in sight. The man was long disappeared though, and Harry sighed heavily in defeat. After the previous nights ordeal, he was even more confused by Snape than before. Every time he thought he had the man figured out, /something/ happened and his assumptions were thrown out the window. For example, he knew that the professor had rescued him the first time in order to pay a debt to his father, and his rescue from the Dursley's had been at Dumbledore's request; but now Snape had saved him a second time, and without any apparent reason. And then there was the hospital wing, where Snape had (he assumed) kept a diligent watch over him in the night, and then again in the morning (from the shadows, no less). As much as he tried, Harry just couldn't figure Snape out. One minute he was the vicious, nasty, and thoroughly cruel Potions Master Harry was familiar with, and the next he was almost---protective, in way. The night Snape had rescued Harry from the Dursleys, he hadn't bothered to lend Harry a hand, even though he'd been limping painfully about, and even after he'd passed out, Snape had just tossed him over his shoulder like an old piece of luggage. But last night---last night Snape hadn't wasted a second in obliterating the monster and rushing Harry to the hospital wing, and Harry remembered quite clearly his own shock when his Professor had so carefully picked him up and carried him out of the room. After last night, Harry wasn't entirely sure of how to think of Snape anymore, he couldn't hate the man after he'd saved his life, and yet he couldn't bring himself to like the man after being yelled at all afternoon.

Another confusing thought plagued him then, one that he'd been mulling over for days and found it impossible to answer. Why /had/ Dumbledore sent Snape to rescue him? And why of all places had he made them /live/ together? It was obvious that Snape would be a good defense should Voldemort decide to attack (Snape was formidable enough that Harry was sure even You-Know-Who would pause to consider his chances), but wouldn't McGonagall or Dumbledore himself have been protection enough? And back to the Dursleys....Dumbledore never had explained why he'd sent Snape to bring him back to the school. Had Voldemort been sighted near Privet Drive? Or had Dumbledore changed his mind, and had simply decided to heed Harry's request to stay at school for the summer? Harry doubted both options, and so, as they were nearing the main entry to the castle, he decided to ask outright.

"Professor Dumbledore? Can I ask you something?" he asked, and the older wizard stopped and turned to him, smiling slightly.

"Of course, Harry. Though depending on the question, I can't guarantee an answer." he said, his arms folded idly behind his back.

"Why did you decide to let me stay here for the summer?" Harry said, fidgeting slightly under the Headmaster's kind gaze. The old man laughed lightly, reaching a hand up to adjust his half-moon glasses.

"I didn't send for you Harry, I had no hand in the matter." he said, smiling even brighter than normal. Harry thought he caught a mischievous gleam in the man's eye, but he wasn't sure what to make of it. Blinking in confusion, Harry unconsciously reached up to adjust his own glasses, his eyebrows knitted together in thought.

"But I thought you sent Snape to bring me back....." Harry said after a moment, and turned to watch the Headmaster with blatant confusion. At the mention of Snape's name, he thought he saw a brief flicker of pain and concern flash across the wizard's features, but it was quickly replaced by an amused smile.

"/Professor/ Snape, Harry." Dumbledore reminded him, "And no, I did not send Severus to fetch you. I only asked him to take you home." Dumbledore laughed at the expression of pure disbelief on his student's face, and put a hand on his shoulder, leading him toward the waiting doorway, "Come on then, I must get you back or Poppy will have my head." Harry allowed himself to be led through the doorway and back up to the hospital wing, all the while one thought playing over and over in his head.

Snape had brought him back.........

----------------------------------------------------------

"Dad! You're home!" Ginny Weasley exclaimed as she dashed from the living room, already dressed in her nightclothes. Mr. Weasley dropped his suitcase and lifted her into a fierce hug, stroking a hand through her mane of wild hair.

"Isn't this a bit late for little girls to still be awake?" he teased as he returned her to her feet, though his eyes were tired and his smile didn't reach them.

"I'm not /that/ little, dad!" she said, ending on a yawn. Ron and Mrs. Weasley appeared in the doorway, the former approaching and claiming her own embrace from the man.

"Off to bed with you now Ginny, I'll see you in the morning." Mr. Weasley said, and she obeyed after a quick goodnight was said to both parents. Ron stayed near the living room doorway, smiling at his father.

"You're home awfully late, did something happen at work?" Mrs. Weasley asked, taking his coat and hanging it on a hook near the door. His face was lightly strained as he reached down toward his suitcase, as if he was reluctant to speak. Mrs. Weasley turned to Ron, her face worried.

"Ron, maybe you better wait upstairs...." she began, but her husband shook his head.

"No, he'll want to hear. I've heard about several things today, and one concerns a friend of his." Mr. Weasley said, and Ron's eyes instantly widened. He rushed to his father's side, worry now etched on his own face.

"What? What's happened?" he asked eagerly.

"Nothing too serious, don't worry." he said quickly, then ran a hand through his hair and continued, "A great number of council and ministry members were attacked recently in their own homes. Two died as a result, and several were severely injured. All were attacked by a type of monster no one has ever seen before, and each one is vastly different than the others. It's as if dozens of new monster species have suddenly popped up out of nowhere......" he paused to rub a hand across his tired eyes, and his wife and son waited patiently.

"Harry was attacked too, Ron. One of those monsters broke into Hogwarts last night." Mr. Weasley continued, and Ron instantly paled.

"You don't mean.....is he....?" Ron stammered, his hands latched onto his father's robes. Mr. Weasley put a hand on his son's shoulder and smiled reassuringly.

"He was injured pretty badly, but he's going to be fine." he said, and Ron instantly sighed in relief, wiping a hand across his brow. "However, the Ministry of Magic is /very/ concerned with the fact that a monster like that could even get inside of Hogwarts, a virtual magical fortress. I've been asked along with some others to go over there tomorrow to help cast another shielding spell."

"Can I come? Please, Dad, just to see how Harry is doing?" Ron pleaded, and his father laughed slightly. He'd been expecting the question.

"Yes, you can come. I took the liberty of calling your friend Hermione and invited her along too, we're going to pick her up on the way." he said, and though Mrs. Weasley was giving him a funny look, probably concerned about taking two children along on a business trip, she smiled nonetheless.

"Poor Harry, that child is always getting in such messes....." Mrs. Weasley muttered, heading back toward the living room. Ron and Mr. Weasley silently agreed, Harry was only two years into his Hogwarts education and already he'd fought Voldemort twice, and it didn't seem as if he'd be getting a break anytime soon.

"We'll be leaving at noon." Mr. Weasley said, and Ron nodded. He then turned and dashed upstairs to scrounge up something to give Harry as a get- well gift.

------------------------------------------

Hagrid trudged slowly through the dark trees, humming lightly under his breath. Fang was just ahead of him, sniffing the various plants and objects that littered the ground. Dumbledore had asked him to monitor the area, hunt down any monsters that may have been lurking about. So far he hadn't seen or heard any, but then again, he hadn't heard anything /else/ either. Any experienced woodsman knew that dead silence was not a good sign, for it usually suggested the presence of a predator, or something worse.

"Smell anything, boy?" Hagrid asked, and the dog cast him a despairing gaze, whining slightly. They continued on through the forest, the flickering lantern not casting nearly enough light to set Hagrid's mind at ease. A nervous rumble from Fang caused Hagrid to stop in his tracks, one hand unconsciously reaching toward the umbrella clipped to his belt. Fang was standing in the path just ahead, and was slowly backing away from a particular bush ahead of him.

"Easy boy, looks like you found somethin'." Hagrid said, and took a step back when the eyes suddenly appeared between the branches. It was possibly one of the most eerie sights he'd ever seen, the pair of twin flames blinking at him calmly from within the bush. Then they drifted forward out of the shadow, accompanied by a loud, threatening hiss.

The creature that emerged was twice as large as the carcass that still lay on Hagrid's kitchen table, and aside from the eyes and claws, they looked nothing alike. This monster was mostly covered in coarse brown fur, with a face that looked something like a deer's, and more like a demon's. A spiked, raccoon-like tail swished angrily behind its vaguely canine body, and it bared a mouthful of teeth far too large and sharp to conceal behind its lips. Hagrid was thankful when it didn't attack immediately, it gave him the moment required to work out a suitable plan. When if finally leapt a moment later, mouth gaping and eyes flaring brightly, Hagrid was ready. His hand darted quickly toward the ground, and grasped a thick, fallen tree branch firmly in his fist. Then he brought the wood quickly up from the ground, and it connected solidly with the creature's jaw. As the beast fell hissing to the ground, Hagrid whipped the branch around again, and viciously slammed it flatly on top of its skull. It fell over on its side a second later, unconscious.

"Well, that wasn't too bad, was it boy?" Hagrid asked Fang, while playfully tossing the branch in the air. The dog cocked its head to the side, as if to say (you call /that/ not bad?!). A loud roar suddenly echoed from far off in the forest, and the dog instantly hid behind its master's leg, shivering with his tail tucked between his legs. Hagrid reached down and scratched the dog behind the ears, his grip tightening on the tree branch.

"Looks like its gonna be a long night, don' it boy?" he said, and stared off into the waiting darkness.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=149