Fate's sense of irony by Cicci Green
Summary: What if Dudley was a wizard? And went to Hogwarts? Things aren't looking too good for Harry Potter, or for Severus Snape. AU, of course.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Violence
Prompts: Dudley Goes to Hogwarts
Challenges: Dudley Goes to Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 12351 Read: 68469 Published: 02 Jun 2008 Updated: 27 Sep 2010
Fit in by Cicci Green
Author's Notes:
Fast update, yay.

I meant to skip directly to a scene with Snape, but instead we got some angst, and some Dudley.
It was hard to write for some reason, but I hope it turned out okay.

Professor Snape's eyes were so black they made Harry think of a newly digged grave. The man did nothing, just stood there and stared at Harry, unblinking, unwavering and unsettling. It seemed to Harry as if time had slowed down, and as if a day went by with every breath he took. Still nothing happened. No one moved. Harry was quite sure if the proverbial pin dropped, he would have been able to hear it.

Looking into his professor's eyes, Harry felt he couldn't stand it. Snape was looking at him as if he carried a dangerous virus. Freak, the eyes whispered, just like he heard other voices said many times before. Freaky little misfit. Don't even try, because you can't do anything right. Freak. Freak! Killer.

Shock rushed Harry's veins and he felt weak and light-headed. He had to GET OUT! Suddenly Snape broke the eye-contact and Harry suddenly felt like himself again. The magnitude of what he had done began to descend on him. He had tripped Professor Snape. There was no telling what the man would do to him now. At least chop him up and put him in some nasty potion. Or...

”Potter!” Snape snarled. ”My office. Seven. Be there, or I swear you will not live to see the next day. The rest of you worthless idiots, out now!”

Harry ran.

He had not been this scared since the last time Dudley's gang cornered him to give him a 'good-bye present'. He still had bruises from that occasion.

Harry didn't even look where he was going, he vaguely noticed other students staring at him as he barged down the hallways, desperate to get away from the oppressing dungeons. He just wanted to fit in. That all he asked for. It couldn't be that difficult. And he hadn't meant to trip Snape, he hadn't really.

It just happened. He just didn't want Neville to get in trouble. He was so terrified of Snape already, Harry wanted him to have a break. And he hadn't really meant to diffuse Snape's anger by tripping him. He knew it was a bad idea But some idiotic part of his brain had reacted without thinking and now he was left with the consequences. Maybe he really was bad. Yes, that must be it.

Suddenly he was outside, down by the lake. Harry had always liked water. He couldn't swim, the Dursleys had never wanted to spend money for him to learn. But sometimes, when he was younger and had wanted time alone, he'd try to find a body of water. Around half an hour's walk from Privet Drive was a park with a little brook. Harry had spent many afternoons just watching the ripples in the ever-moving water, imagining himself being carried away with it to some place far away. The lake at Hogwarts had been a blessing.

Harry sat down, close to the shore, but not too close. The threat of being pulled down by the giant squid made him careful.

He was scared. Scared shitless, to be honest. He cursed himself in every language he could think of, then started making up insults. He dubbed himself every demeaning title Uncle Vernon had ever used and every swear Dudley had heard from adult movies.

He should not have got in trouble. He just wanted to do well. He just wanted to fit in.

Harry didn't know how long he sat there, just staring at the lake, without seeing it. He was almost falling asleep when he was pushed forwards, and landed with his nose first on the group.

”Got into trouble already, Potter?” Dudley sneered. ”My mum and dad were right, it didn't take long. But even I thought you'd last longer than a couple of weeks.”

He nudged Harry with his boot for emphasis. Harry sat up, his face carefully blank.

”Aren't you gonna do something, freak?” His fist caught Harry on the upper arm, and Harry realized Dudley wasn't hitting especially hard. Afraid he'd get caught, maybe?

”I forgot. You can't really do worse than this.” Hit. ”Snape's going to eat you alive.” Slap. ”And just wait until dad hears what you did.” Punch.

In a sing-song voice, he continued. ”Just think what he'll do to you, freak.” Thwack.

Anger like he hadn't experienced in a long while pulsed through Harry. All the injustice and emotions of the days were just too much. He just wanted to fit in! That's all he was asking for. And Dudley had to be here, to ruin everything. He took away away being a wizard from Harry just like he'd taken his favorite foods or the few couple of toys Harry had ever owned.

He wanted revenge. So he punched back, for the first time in a very long time.

To be continued...
End Notes:
As always, thanks for your reviews and your support.

Brownies with whipped cream for everyone that reviews!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1579