Impalpable by Ria Rose
Summary: A summer road trip through Muggle America comes to a halt when the car that Ron, Hermione, and Harry have purchased breaks down. Walking to the nearest gas station, Harry encounters the last person he thought he ever wanted to see…and his 1987 Camaro. But there’s a side to Severus Snape that no one knows about: a free riding rebel that would rather don older rock tees than robes and still breaks rules wherever he can. Little do they know it, but the Golden Trio is in for one hell of a summer. - Summer after sixth Year - Non-HBP and DH compliant
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 56172 Read: 45973 Published: 26 Jun 2008 Updated: 14 Jul 2011
Accidently on Purpose by Ria Rose
Author's Notes:
Edited on 3/24/18

All errors belong to moi.

 

"Hey, Sev?" Lucy asked; she was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for him sometime later, watching as he slowly made his way back onto the first floor. "We're gonna do a Wal-Mart run for the rest of the stuff for the fourth, you in?"

Snape shook his head, "I'll pass, Luce. Harry is sick and..." He glared at her knowing smirk. "What?!"

"Nothing! There’s leftovers in the kitchen and," she answered in a sing song voice, "we'll take the other two and...We'll see you two later. BYE!" With a skip, she left the house, ushering Ron and Hermione into her car. Jena sat in the front and flipped him off as they sped away, Ron hastily putting his seatbelt on as they did so. Snape narrowed his eyes. Something was up.

"We're gonna go up to Bellfare and pick up some gas for the grill." Snape turned to see Georgie pocketing his wallet and Baylor digging his keys out. "You take care of that kid, got it?" Lightbulb. They were all leaving on purpose.

"I know, I know, you'll break my fucking legs if I don't." He said instead of outing their plans. It wasn’t worth the aggravation, when Georgie got an idea in his head, there really was no turning him back. The old man could be even more stubborn than the professor, and THAT was saying something.

"Good boy. Remind me and I’ll give you a doggie bone later!" Georgie grinned and lead Baylor out. In the doorway, Snape barked as he watched them leave. Upstairs, a teen was asleep and the new revelations his professor had learned about him were throwing him completely off. He cringed. His own stupidity, for years past, weighted on him like a wet and soggy clothing. Snape groaned and made his way back up the steps to check on the boy. He was asleep when he cracked open the door, curled on his side and still clutching his stomach. So, he made his way out to the back patio where he sat at the table and nursed a single beer, chain smoking and mulling over everything that had transpired within the last 24 hours. It was ridiculous. How could his perception have been so damn wrong? And, for that matter, how the hell and they altered so damn drastically over the course of one day?

He could just see the headmaster and his deputy smirking in that way that could only say: I told you so.

“Oh, shut up, you two.” He spoke aloud, swiftly finishing the butt of his now warm beer with a grimace. He would never waste it; that was a high sin in Georgie’s house.

Back in the house, he filled a red solo cup with some leftover macaroni salad and munched thoughtfully. A few potions would perk the boy right up, and maybe they could get out and actually do something. He had wanted to wait to see if the boy would feel better on his own, but really, who was he kidding? This was boring as all hell and with the rest of the nuisances gone for the foreseeable future, why not take advantage of it?

Harry Potter was different, very different, than he had originally thought. So, maybe he should take this opportunity to get to know him better?

A plan in mind, he made his way into the bathroom and opened Georgie's Wizard spaced cabinet. Snape dug through his personal stores of potions, each was labeled in his own handwriting, as he, himself, was solely responsible for keeping the older Wizard stocked.

Taking what he needed from the cabinet, Snape walked down the hallway and eased himself quietly into the guestroom. He placed the vials on the nightstand next to the Harry's bed and took out his wand. It looked as they the boy most definitely was feeling worse. Well. That just would not do.

Snape frowned at this, but still did not want to wake the boy just yet. He had only fallen asleep a little over an hour prior, but, if they were to make him feel better, it would have to be done. He could go back to sleep as soon as he had taken his potions, if he wanted to. Unless, of course, Severus Snape could grow balls enough to ask the boy about his life with the Dursley's. Or open his mouth and ask if Harry wanted to do something with just the two of them, and damn it all, why did the fear of rejection scare him still?

Take the plunge, you old fool!

"Potter," Snape lightly tapped the boy's shoulder. "Harry? Wake up; I need to give you some potions.

"Professor?" Harry blinked up at him and searched the nightstand for his glasses, nearly knocking over some of the vials in the process. Snape bit back a snide remark, steadied the vials, and handed Harry his glasses.

"Here, for your fever." The potion was a dark red; it looked, to Harry, almost like blood and his stomach churned at the thought.

"I thought we were going to wait until later, to see if I felt better?"

"I was going to, I only brought these out just in case, but you looked worse, so, it was enough to worry me."

Harry stared up at his professor. ‘Did he just say that he was worried?' he thought.

Snape saw the reaction to his words written all over the boy's face and inwardly groaned. He couldn't believe that he had just admitted out loud that he was worried about the brat. "Well, you know, figuratively speaking." It was a bad cover up, but at least it was something.

Harry, though, thankfully let it slide. He sat up slowly, moving a pillow behind his back as he leaned against the headboard. Snape handed him the vial and Harry took the potion quickly, grimacing at the taste.

"This is for your stomach." The light blue potion didn't taste any better but Harry drank it anyway. He felt the contents of the vial spread down his throat and chest and warm his belly pleasantly. The sick feeling went away almost instantly. He blinked in surprise; he really loved magic!

"Thank you, sir."

Snape nodded and sat on the edge of his bed. "We need to talk about what you told me before, or rather, what was implied. But," he said when Harry moved to interrupt, "if you'd rather sleep for a bit, you may. We will be talking though." He hardened his voice enough to let his student know that he was serious.

Harry sighed. "Might as well get it over with."

"How very Gryffindor of you, Mr. Potter."

Harry shrugged, "I try." There was a slight cheekiness under his tone and Snape he was actually glad to hear it. If anything, the boy had plenty of fight left in him.

Losing the sternness in his voice Snape said, "What did your relatives allow you to eat?"

Looking down at his hands, Harry tried to fight the urge to lie. What did it matter now? If everyone knew the truth, it would do nothing. Within just a few weeks, Harry would be 17-years-old and an adult, by Wizarding standards. He could shout the truth to the world and still his uncle could do him no harm. Not any longer, anyway. Harry had no intent of returning to Privet Drive at all this summer. On the 31st, the wards would fall and Voldemort would most likely descend upon the house in full rampage. But Harry failed to find himself caring. His aunt and uncle had been warned and they could do with that what they will.

They could no longer hurt him.

Harry could enjoy his summer with his two best friends and come autumn he could leave his innocence behind like a pair of swim trunks. He would defeat the Dark Lord--of this he was determined!--and he would most likely come to his own death as well.

At least if he told Snape the truth, the whole truth also, someone would know his story. And maybe his professor would tell others and the world would know.

And maybe then, those who were also abused would finally have a voice.

Harry raised his head slowly. He looked into Snape's eyes and spoke in a low, steady voice. "I was fed only when I completed all of my chores and that was barely ever. My uncle's list of things for me to accomplish was long and nearly impossible. But when I did finish my duties, I was allowed to eat from the leftovers of the meal I, myself, had cooked. On the occasions in which I failed to complete the multitude of chores, I was sent to my cupboard, and later my small room, without any food. My aunt, I believe, took some pity on me and would allow me a sandwich and juice. And if my uncle had left for work and there was still breakfast leftover in the mornings, I was allotted to eat my fill." He tilted his chin up, never breaking eye contact with the potions master in an effort to show him that he was strong, regardless of his past.

The effect was not lost on Snape, as he was speechless for several moments after the boy had spoken. Finally, when he had regained some sense, he said, "Why did you never tell anyone? You could have been removed from their...care...and would not have had to suffer as you did."

"You cannot be brave, Professor Snape, if you have only had good things happen to you."

"They could have killed you!"

"Obviously I had quite the will to live since I'm still alive. And anyway, I said enough without saying more than once. No one ever listened to me. I learned at a young age that to survive you can count on no one but yourself." There was defiance in the boy's eyes. He was daring Snape to combat what he had just spoken. But the older Wizard did not argue. These were truths that he knew all too well.

"Did they ever hit you?"

"Yes."

"How often?"

"Often enough." Harry answered simply.

"Potter, answer the question."

"My relatives found no trouble in locking me in a cupboard and starving me. Answer your own damn question."

The response was so unlike what Snape had expected that he found himself standing and stepping back from the bed. "They beat you?"

"No, THEY did not. My uncle, however, did." He paused, “Though when he catch me, which wasn’t very often,” Harry started, rather proudly, “Dudley had a mean punch, But as I said, I’m fast. Too fast for him!”

Something flashed in Snape's eyes that Harry had so often seen in his own. It was anger unlike any other that resided only within those who had been abused such as he had been. And Harry understood. He tilted his head, contemplating this new revelation.

"You were beaten also." It wasn't a question; it was statement, said like a fact in a monotone voice that held no room for confusion. Snape nodded. "Well, then you should have seen the signs, given that you knew of them all too well yourself. But as I stated before, Professor, you only see what you want to see."

"I want to see the truth."

"Then see it!"

There was a long silence that stretched between the two Wizards. At length, Snape spoke, "I will not ask for forgiveness on my past actions, but perhaps I can make it up to you?"

"I'm listening."

"If you want, the three of you may stay with me through the duration of the summer, and I promise I will make it interesting. I will not tell Professor Dumbledore where you are, as I had planned to when you would have left my care."

Harry jolted and snapped at Snape, "I thought you said you wouldn't tell!"

"I wasn't going to tell him WHERE you were EXACTLY, just that you were on a road trip and safe. Do not think news of your disappearance hadn't reached my ears. My plan was to ease everyone's worries. I don't think you three realized what you have done by just up and vanishing to America."

"Hermione's parents knew."

"Well, that's just great for HER parents, given that they are not part of our world!"

Harry fell silent, upon reflection it became shockingly clear just how rash and foolish their decision to go on the trip without telling anybody was. His voice was quiet when he again spoke, "I'm sorry. We didn't think."

"No, it's obvious that you did not. But, that aside, I would have done the same thing in your shoes."

"What? You?"

Snape raised an eyebrow and said, "Have you learned nothing of me since yesterday afternoon? I thought it was clear that who I am at Hogwarts is a polar opposite of who I really am." He grinned, "I can better prove it, when we travel down to my home after the 4th of July barbecue."

"How?"

"You'll see. For now, how are you feeling?"

Harry smirked and looked rather impressed with himself and the potions, "Much better, actually."

"Good! Then would you like to actually DO something this afternoon instead of stay in bed?"

Harry paused and thought for a moment, "But what if I feel sick again?"

"I highly doubt that you will. I'll carry a pepper-up-potion just in case."

"And the others...?"

"...Most likely planned this. They are all gone, at some store or another." Snape threw his hands up, letting Harry know what his friends did was out of his hands.

"So, you never hated me?" Harry asked as he stood up, stretching.

"Well, I did...dislike...you for a great while. You've since then distorted my vision of your life, so I can't REALLY find a way to dislike you. And...You aren't your father." He took a deep breath, "I had no right to judge you for what your appearance represented to me."

"Wait," Harry grinned, "was that an apology?"

"You will not hear the word ‘sorry' out of my mouth, so yes. Now, hush up." With a flick of his wand, Snape transfigured Harry's clothes back to normal.

Harry looked down at his clothing as they changed and then back up at his professor, "You apologized yesterday. I heard the words ‘I'm sorry,' I think, twice? Was it?"

Snape chuckled, "Lapse in judgment, I assure you."

"Oh? Was that all?"

"Momentary. A fleeting flash in which I seemed to have been replaced by a doppelganger, very wicked, indeed." When Snape laughed, his entire face changed, this was something Harry was beginning to notice. The hard contours of his features softened and his persona became brighter. It was amazing, Harry thought, how such a small thing such as laughter could change one's visage so drastically.

"So, where are we going, Professor?"

"First, we are to get you a proper, non-greasy, healthy, but tasty lunch. As well as myself, since I have not yet eaten, well, save for a cup of macaroni salad some time ago And a beer. So, breakfast of champions. Then, I was thinking we could drive up to the lake and possibly go swimming. It's a tourist spot; there are little shops and such. And the best Italian Ice place I've ever been to." Thinking, he added, "And you may call me Severus. I see no reason to continuously refer to me as Professor or Sir."

Harry raised his eyebrows but said nothing in reference to his professor's name, instead, he asked, "Why don't we apparate? We can side-along, can't we?"

Snape huffed, "Driving is so much more fun!" He grinned and jiggled his keys in his pocket, "Something about breaking speeding laws and then obliviating cops is just...invigorating!" Well, when he put it like that!

True to his word Snape made sure that Harry's lunch was healthy and not too heavy on his stomach. They each had salads at a Greek Café with lemonade and pita bread. When they were back on the road and headed north, Harry rolled his window down and let the wind caress his face. It felt almost as good as flying.

A little over 15 minutes later, they stopped again to buy Harry a bathing suit. Snape showed more of his mischievous side by buying Harry several vintage rock tees, pointing out that the young Wizard could not be seen with him in public unless properly dressed.

They ended up spending more than an hour in the store, Harry buying a multitude of jeans and tees that the professor approved of as ‘rock' enough. He was even witness to Snape shopping for himself, and when they left the store, Harry donned some of his new clothes. He wore new blue jeans with a red t-shirt sporting a black Aerosmith logo. He had never even heard of the band, but Snape had assured him that they were pretty much close to godliness. Not for the first time Harry wondered just how much of himself the professor hid at Hogwarts.

It was near 4:30 by the time they reached the lake. The banks were still packed by locals and tourists, easily separated by the varied degrees of tanning. "I'm not one for lake swimming, usually. So you can have your fun in the water. I may take a dip or so, but I will most definitely enjoy the shops," Snape paused and grinned, "They have the coolest shit. And you tell anyone that I used the word ‘cool,' I will chop you into little pieces and feed you to the squid at Hogwarts."

Harry laughed, "I want to look in the shops first."

Snape nodded, "This is my favorite," he said, leading him into an smoke-laced building. It was filled with the most bizarre items Harry had ever seen. There was a wall of incense, housing different scents as well as holders that ranged from the standard piece of wood to a three foot tall elephant that held the incense stick in its trunk. The floor of the store was filled with 4-way racks, Z-racks, and tables, all piled with the oddest clothing. He poked through some of the racks before turning to face a wall lined with glassed shelves. Figures of Muggle ideas of Wizards, Faeries, Dragons, and every other sort of creature thought to be myth were places sporadically with handwritten signs stating, "DO NOT TOUCH! DRAGONS BITE!" and "UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE GIVEN CAFFEINE AND A WHISTLE!"

Another shelf housed handmade instruments. Harry picked up one of the drums. The painting on the base showed an evil looking man that was closely related to the image of Satan blowing fire from his mouth onto a charred man with wings. He nearly dropped the item in his haste to put it down.

Snape was chatting up an attendant who stood behind a glass counter filled with jewelry. In the professor's hands was large wooden fat man. When he caught Harry's eyes, he put the statue on the counter, turned it to face Harry, winked, and pointed at it. "Buddha. What do you think?"

"What are you going to do with that? You're not a Buddhist?! THAT requires being KIND."

Snape laughed and shook his head, "No, but he's cool looking isn't he? I thought I'd put it in my classroom and really give the students a roll."

"You have a sick, twisted, sense of humor, do you know that?"

"If I was really sick, I'd hang those over my desk." He gestured to a bundle of realistic, fake shrunken heads hanging from the ceiling.

"You would too, I know you would."

"I am highly contemplating it."

"You should, man," the attendant said. His voice was lazy and he had blonde dreads hanging passed his shoulders. "Scare those kids, man, it would be fucking hysterical!"

Snape winked at Harry, "I'm already anticipating the first years," he turned back to the employee, "I'll take three. And Buddha. And one of those brown leather bags with the Native American designs on them, yes, that one behind the counter," the man handed it to him, "Oh, and the incense I handed you before. And..." Snape tapped his chin, looking around the store. "That Wizard figure, he looks like someone I know." Again, he grinned and winked at Harry. The figurine was brought over and the teen started to laugh right when he saw it. It was a white bearded Wizard in an obscene blue pointed hat with berries on it in blue dress robes littered with stars. He was kneeling over a tree stump, pointing his wand, his other hand on his hip. "Look, Harry," Snape said with an impish glean in his eyes, "it's Professor Dumbledore."

"Oh, he's gonna kill you! I'm gonna tell, I am! You're making fun of the headmaster!" Harry poked at the purple wand in the hand of the figurine, adding an extra jab to the star on top of it. "It's ridiculous!" But he couldn't help but laugh, the ceramic Wizard was just so absurd!

"I'm going to give it to him. He'll put it in his office; I know he will. Hey, Revo, What do you got to interest a 16-year-old?"

"Revo?" Harry asked.

"My parents were hippies." He nodded and grinned. "Revolution Rain Ross."

"Wait, that's your NAME? Like real name?"

"It's on my birth certificate, little man. Anyway, interesting for a kid who's 16 and thinks Revolution is weirder than Severus... Hmmm..."

"My name is most certainly not more bizarre then Revolution!" Snape said, crossing his arms and raising one sardonic eyebrow,

Revo ignored him, "Been coming in here for years, telling me I'm the odd one." He said to Harry, sotto voice, then, brightly, he asked, "What are you into?"

Harry smirked, "Magic."

"That's awesome little man, come with me!" He led Harry to the back of the store. "Okay, so these candles represent different things with each color. And they're supposed to heighten those emotions if you light them. And this is a journal for spells and such." He handed Harry a worn leather bound book. The front was engraved with a silver quarter moon. "I dunno, little man, there's loads of stuff here dealing with magic, we even have cauldrons."

Peering closer, Harry examined the black caldron and shook his head. "Not the standard thickness." He heard Snape snort behind him. "I like the journal though. And, even if they're crock, I wanna get those candles."

Revo smiled and took down a package of the thick candles. "Will this be together?"

"No," Harry said just as Snape was saying "Yes". Harry glared.

"I will be paying." Snape said smoothly.

"You paid for lunch. And my shirts."

"How observant, Potter. Revo?" The blonde nodded and snatched the journal from Harry's hand. He began ringing everything up.

"Pain in the arse." Harry muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"That's what I thought."

After looking through some of the other little shops, including a used CD store in which Harry had the employees aid in his musical expansion (much to Snape's dismay, the boy seemed to like that new crap better the [Hmph!] good music HE listened too.) they finally made their way toward the water.

Snape laid out a blanket, sat, kicked his shoes off and watched a volleyball game going on about 10 yards from them. Harry sat on his other side and opened the CDs he had just bought.

"I need a CD player. Can we stop somewhere so I can get one?"

Snape disdainfully eyed the album in his hand. "If you insist."

"Problem, Professor?"

"I'm sorry, what's my name?"

Harry had been having issues with this all day. "Revolution?"

"Cheeky brat."

"Severus Snape, git of the dungeons."

"Charming," Snape grinned, "And you, Harry Potter, Boy-Who-Wouldn't-Bloody-Die."

"Yeah, something like that."

"Let me see that," Snape said, taking the album from his hands. "What type of band name is My Chemical Romance, anyway?"

"The type that is on the same list as Guns ‘N Roses."

Snape gasped, "You bite your tongue!"

"No way, that would hurt and then I couldn't tease you."

He was answered with a grunt. "'Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.' Are they joking?"

"'Appetite for Destruction' much?"

Another grunt, "And then, of course, we have the stunning follow up called "The Black Parade.' How brooding." Sifting through the other CDs Harry bought, Snape snorted out their names. "Linkin Park? All American Rejects? 30 Seconds to Mars, SUM 41? Blink-182? Harry honestly, I've tried, within the past 24 hours, to instill in you good music and you come out with...what? The Killers? What IS that?"

"I heard some of the songs in the store and I liked them!"

"Good Charlotte? Where do they come up with these names?!"

Harry coughed and, to Snape, it sounded suspiciously like 'AC/DC'.

"All right! Truce! I get it; band names are ridiculous all around the board. I thought you liked the stuff I played in my car?"

"Never said I didn't." Slipping off his shirt and jeans and leaving himself only in his swim shorts, Harry kicked sand on Snape and ran off to the water.

"Brat!" The professor yelled, wiping sand off his jeans.

In no time, it seemed, Harry was involved in a water game with some of the other Muggle teens at the lake. Every second or so, he heard a yell of ‘MARCO!' followed by giggles and several voices, including Harry's, answering back, ‘POLO!'

Stretching, the potions master laid back and closed his eyes, enjoying the feel of the sun on his face. It was nearing six and he knew that the lifeguards were off duty at seven. In the meantime, he relaxed and occasionally strained his ears to hear Harry's voice to make sure he was okay.

Closing his eyes, Snape allowed himself to drift.


"What the hell is your problem?!"

"Get off of me!"

"Someone call the cops, this is ridiculous! Let him go!"

There was that familiar and odd feeling in between being awake and asleep that Snape felt. His chest felt light and he winced as he was roughly pulled from the latter. Blinking, he groaned as the voices grew louder. One was gruff and drunk sounding, another distressed, and another accusing. There were other voices, mostly echoes of the third and it wasn't until the second voice pleaded to be released again that the professor realized that it belonged to Harry.

He shot up quickly, standing and sending sand everywhere. "Harry?" he called out. Though still foggy from his nap, the sensation a horrible panic was rising up within him.

"Severus!"

It was coming from down by the water and Snape was sprinting towards the scene before he could fully comprehend it. A Muggle man who was taller than Snape was and much more muscled had Harry's right arm in his grip. The teen was grimacing and struggling to free himself while several onlookers, mostly female, or too young to help, looked on. One woman was yelling at the man loudly.

"What the hell is going on?" Snape snapped, as soon as he became close enough. The man who held Harry turned to face him.

"None of your damned business, Asshole!"

The smell of alcohol accosted Snape's senses. Oh, perfect. He took a moment to regain his ground. "Let him go. Now."

"I have an idea, you fucking Brit, go back to your own country. And take your stupid accent with you!"

Was that supposed to be an insult? "If that's the case, I'll take him as well, because if you haven't noticed, he's also British, you bloody imbecile."

"He's a lot cuter than you."

Snape felt vomit rise in his throat. "You are drunk, and you do not want to get into it with me. Let. Him. Go."

"I don't want to get into you, but I wouldn't mind getting into him!" the laugh that he gave after saying that made Snape feel even more sick. He glanced at Harry's terror-stricken face; the boy was struggling more frantically when the words left the drunk's mouth.

"I'm calling the cops!" the woman yelled, "I'm calling them, now," she had her cell phone out, "unless you let him go!"

The man only deepened his drunken grin and grabbed Harry's other arm, causing the boy to yell out in pain. "Severus, help!" His green eyes were wide with fear and pleading.

Snape had had enough. He lunged toward the man, hoping to have him release Harry in order to defend himself. But the potions professor grabbed only air as he fell and hit the sand and the familiar ‘crack!' that sounded made his heart drop.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well, Harry just can't stay out of trouble can he? But will this be the final push Severus needs to admit that Harry has won him over?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1588