Filling the Void by lyra
Summary: Sometimes getting what you want is terrifying. Can Severus and Harry manage after the roller coaster that was first year?

Sequel to Reading the Signs.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: Going Through the Motions
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 37315 Read: 104157 Published: 07 Jul 2008 Updated: 14 Feb 2011
Chapter 15 by lyra
Author's Notes:
Seven months? Really? Yeah, I'm not even going to pretend to have a decent excuse for that. Insanity. Hopefully some of you are still reading.

Last time on Filling the Void – Harry confessed to living in his cupboard, and Severus used logic to convince Harry that he was not a freak. It may have even worked.

HSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHS

He didn't want to go.

In fact, the very idea was like something out of his nightmares.

And yet, here he was, trudging through the crowds in Diagon Alley carrying various packages while Harry walked ahead with his friends.

The things this idiot child had brought into his life without him even realizing it.

That morning when Harry was preparing to head to the Alley to do his pre-term shopping, Severus made one simple mistake. He told Harry that he would drop him at the Weasley's at 9:30. And it hadn't even been the hurt look on the boy's face to clue him in. Oh no, it had taken more than that.

"What do you mean, you're going to drop me off? Aren't you coming?"

Severus could not mistake the slight note of panic in Harry's voice. And he had to admit that he was a little taken off guard by the question.

"I. . .did not realize you wanted me to accompany you. I thought you would want to be alone with your friends."

"I just. . ." Harry began, "all the other parents go. I thought you would come too, but if you don't want to. . ."

"It is not a matter of whether I want to or not, Harry. I simply did not realize you wished for me to accompany you."

"Well, yeah. I do. That is, if you don't have other things you have to do."

Of course he had other things to do. He always had other things to do. It could not be said that Severus was a man who allowed himself much idle time, even if it was simply reading the latest apothecary journals. Still...

"Nothing that can't wait. I shall just need a few extra moments to prepare myself for the outing."

As he left the room he did not miss that infernal happy smile the boy always wore when he got his way. He endeavoured not to feel too self-satisfied at the thought that he had put it there.

Still, he could not help but notice the slight look of surprise on Molly Weasley's face as he informed her that rather than dropping Harry off at the Burrow the two of them would meet the others at the Leaky Cauldron in one hour. He scowled back at her as surprise turned into what he could only assume was condescension.

"I'm so glad you'll be joining us Severus! It's always an interesting trip, and there's nothing quite like the joy of being involved in our children's schooling. Especially considering they are away from us much of the time while they're at Hogwart's. Of course, that doesn't apply to you, now does it? Even so, I'm sure it's important to you to..."

"Yes, yes, very. Clearly that's why I'm coming along. Now if you don't mind, Harry and I have much to finish up before we meet you."

"Oh, of course! We'll see you at the Leaky Cauldron then!"

Of course, Severus thought with a sigh.

HSHSHSHSHSHSHSHS

Things went south rather quickly. Almost as soon as they had all gathered, as a matter of fact. Just as all parties were about to set off to their shopping Harry pulled him up short with a hearty

"But aren't we going to Gringott's?"

"Why would we be going to Gringott's?"

"Well I've got to get my money!"

"If there is something you wish to purchase we can discuss it. If I agree, we can take it out of your allowance."

"What do you mean if there's something I 'wish to purchase'? Of course there's something I wish to purchase. There's a whole ruddy list of stuff right here! How can there be anything to discuss?"

"You made a list of frivolities you wish to purchase on this outing? While I might agree to one treat or toy, an entire list is right out of the -"

That's when he actually looked at the list.

Oh. The school list. Of course it was.

"I do not intend for you to buy your own school supplies, Harry. I may be frugal, but that is pushing the limit even for myself."

"What do you mean I won't be buying them? That is what you mean, isn't it?"

"Yes, that's what I mean. I believe your parents left you that money so that you would have something to carry into adulthood. Not so that you had to use it one basic robes and school text books."

"But then how am I supposed to get them? I can't go without obviously!"

"Are you really this dense or are you being deliberately obtuse?"

Before he could take back his last statement, and take it back he wished he could, seeing the boy flinch like that, Arthur Weasley decided to step in. Of course he did, the bloody do-gooder.

"Harry my boy. I think what Professor Snape is trying to say is that you're in his care, and he will be buying your supplies."

"Yes, that is it exactly." He was briefly grateful to the man for stepping in after all, but he would not admit that. There was only so far he could go, after all.

He noticed that the rest of their party was watching them and over-hearing the exchange. It made Severus incredibly uncomfortable. Not only for himself and his inability to explain even the simplest ideas to his charge, but for the looks of pity they all seemed to get on their face once they understood that Harry didn't get it. He simply didn't have a concept for what Severus was giving him, and therefore could not comprehend. So of course it made them all pathetic and weepy.

Pulling Harry by the arm he took the boy aside a few feet in order to give them both some privacy. "That is what I was trying to tell you - I do not wish for you to drain your gringott's vault for basic needs that should have previously been provided by the Dursleys. Harry, you should not have to pay for your own school things."

"Well neither should you!"

That took Severus aback. He thought that Harry would readily accept his offer. Most children would prefer not to spend their own money if they could avoid it. But no, of course Harry would not be like all the other children he'd ever encountered. He should have expected this.

"And why should I not be the one to buy your supplies?"

Harry blushed. "Well, it's not like you're really...I mean, I wouldn't have it any other way, but...you know that it's different, not the same, and you shouldn't have to pay for my stuff like a real dad would."

Well then.

Severus had no idea two little words could sting quite as much as they did, and 'real dad' packed quite the wallop. No, he was not going to allow it to affect him, however. Harry had not meant to be hurtful with his words, and in the end Severus chose to see what the boy was trying to get at. Harry had a point, after all.

He couldn't resist a small barb, however. "Perhaps you should look up the words 'biological' and 'real' when we get home and you can tell me what the difference is. Regardless of my status or relationship with you Harry, the fact of the matter is I am at the least acting as your guardian, and as such it is my job to take care of your needs. One of those needs is school supplies. The matter is closed to further discussion, and I hope to hear nothing further about it."

"Well, thank you. I appreciate it."

"I never imaged otherwise. You are ridiculously grateful for everything."

Harry scowled, and that was the reaction Severus was hoping to see. The boy got too emotional and maudlin for his own good, far too often. "Well would you rather I not be grateful at all?"

"I imagine you could try it and find out, but i wouldn't recommend it. For your sake."

With a roll of his eyes Harry turned back to his friends. It would appear that this year was going to start off differently than last year, that was for sure.

HSHSHSHSHSHSHS

It was a long bloody day, that was certain. Harry was distressed to find out that he did not need new robes, that the old ones had turned out to be slightly too large last year and while he had grown a bit, it was not more than five centimetres and the old robes would continue to be sufficient.

Madame Malkin did not make the same mistake as the last time they had visited her shop, and that was a significant relief to Severus. In fact he thought she was a little reluctant to serve them, and the entire encounter was awkward. Perhaps if only tantrums and bad news were to happen when they went robe shopping Severus would leave the boy at home in the future. If they kept going on this way they'd be run out of the store before Harry reached fifth year.

They lingered at the apothecary longer than usual. The children picked up the basic potions items they needed from their lists but Snape made a point to provide a suggestion of an extra ingredient for each of them. Something that would assist them overcome their weaknesses or capitalize on their strengths.

None of this was cheating, that much he was sure of, and he did not feel bad about his assistance. It would be no different than the advice any wizarding parent with a working knowledge of potions would give to their child. So what if he happened to extend that advice beyond Harry to his frends? Granger's parents would obviously be of no help to her in that area, and the Weasleys, despite their pureblood status and own strengths in wizarding were not, by any means, potions experts.

Harry deserved whatever advantage Severus' years of solitude and study could provide him. Besides, he was just filling in for what Lily would have done. While the senior Potter was moderately adept at potions, Lily had been extremely talented in the discipline and would have been helping her son and his friends in the very manner Severus was if she was here.

The very thought stopped Severus in his tracks, and he could not stop the choking feeling in his throat as he thought of her, here in this very store, shopping with her son. Would she have had more children? Would she have chosen to give Harry an owl, or would he have had some other familiar? Would she have allowed him on the Quidditch team as a tiny first year? No doubt a row with her husband would have arisen about that topic. But then, if she was here, perhaps Harry would not have been such a tiny first year...

He would gladly risk knowing that he would never be a part of her life, of either of their lives, just to have her back. To give mother and son the simple act of school preparation.

He was startled out of his moment by the sound of Molly Weasly replacing a glass stirring rod on one of the shelves. She looked at him with a small smile. He hoped that she was not about to start one of her inane, lengthy conversations about wizarding housekeeping or some such.

But no.

That was not at all what happened. As she walked by, Severus felt her hand grasp his and squeeze. Very quickly. If he hadn't been paying attention he might not have noticed. And then quietly she whispered to him,

"She is here Severus. With you and Harry. She is." And just as quickly she moved on, leaving him struggling to maintain his composure.

Indeed she is, he thought as he looked at Harry laughing with his friends. Indeed she is.

HSHSHSHSHSHSHS

One of their last stops was Flourish and Botts, to pick up the needed text books for the year. Saving the heaviest for last was an efficient choice. The list of books was ridiculous, that much he knew. For their Defense Against the Dark Arts alone there were multiple books, all by that dunderhead Gilderoy Lockheart. What had possessed Albus to hire the man was beyond him.

Needless to say he'd tried to talk the headmaster put of it, to no avail. Albus' main argument was that the curse on the job made it difficult to hire anyone, that few wizards were willing to take on the post.

"Are you going blind in your old age? I am standing right in front of you!"

"You know I cannot give you the position, precisely because of the problems with the job. No one ever manages to stay in the position more than one single school year. I simply cannot risk losing you. And now that you have other obligations, I am surprised that you are still seeking to obtain it. Certainly you wouldn't want to be leaving the school so soon, with Harry here and under your care?"

"All the other children live here without their parents. That is the point of a boarding school, Albus."

"Interesting choice of words, Severus. Very interesting indeed. Regardless, I suspect that were I to offer you the Defense position you may no longer find it so appealing now that your circumstances have changed. And I cannot risk a delay to fill the position while you are struggling with the meaning of your new role in Harry's life. It simply is not meant to be at this time."

"Be that that as it may, Albus, Gilderoy Lockhart? Really?"

"There is nothing to be done. And if his books are to be believed he is quite the skilled wizard when it comes to the dark arts."

"Oh of course. *If* his books tare to be believed. Which everyone with even a pea brain knows is not the case. I find it difficult to understand your actions, installing a simpleton fraud to teach our children, to teach Harry, how to defend themselves against the worst type of magic out there."

"Fear not, Severus, I have the utmost faith that Harry will acquire all the instruction he requires."

Now, standing in the bookstore watching the idiot in front of him who was this year's Defense teacher, Severus could only hope that Albus was once again speaking in riddles. Because Lockheart was ridiculous. The women and girls in their party had found their way closer to the man, and Severus tried not to feel ill as they all swooned over the man. Ridiculous.

Harry and Ron were hanging back slightly, making the kinds of disgusted faces that only twelve year old boys are capable of. Severus was almost impressed. What happened next though, made every muscle in his body freeze while at the same time move into a state that was ready to spring into action.

"Why it's Harry Potter!" came the simpering voice from the front of the store.

Before Snape really had a chance to register the action, Lockheart had taken hold of Harry and pulled him to the front of the store, an arm wrapped around the boy's shoulder. Harry, for his part, couldn't possibly have looked more uncomfortable than he did at that moment. It took every ounce of self-control Snape had not to snap the other wizards hands off, but he decided not to make a scene. Let the boy have some autonomy, see how he handles the situation. Severus would not be able to save him from every awkward scene and moment in his life. It was best to see how he handled things in a relatively innocuous situation as soon as possible.

While Lockheart stood there like a ninny, getting his picture taking and offering Harry a 'gift' of the books he needed for his classes, Harry's eyes were scanning the crowd. Severus knew they were looking for him, and not willing to torture the boy too much further, he stepped out of the shadows where he had been trying to maintain some sense of invisibility.

As soon as his movement registered, Harry's eyes snapped to his, the pleading there was crystal clear. But still, Severus did not move. Until Harry made the sign for 'please' and 'help' from the front of the room. He was helpless in the face of that clear request for assistance. In fact, Severus could have sworn he moved so fast that he flew.

He knew he'd reached the boy when a sound went up from the gathered crowd. He wasn't quite sure whether it was simply people angry at him for ruining their photographs, or general lack of appreciation for his mere presence, but neither did he care. His focus was elsewhere.

"Why it's Severus Snape! Renowned Potions Master!" Lockheart was attempting to save the situation, that much was clear, but there would be no saving it. His moment exploiting Harry was about to come to a very abrupt end.

As he approached Lockheart, Severus first removed the man's hand from Harry's shoulder. Frankly he was rather impressed with his self-control. No fingers were broken in the removal, after all. After moving Harry off to the side and pushing him towards the Weasleys he turned towards the narcissistic fool and stated, loudly and with intent, "If you touch my child again you will find yourself begging for the mercy of death."

And with one simple statement, Flourish and Botts erupted. Snape found himself surrounded by reporters and on-lookers, all shouting questions at him. The most frequent of which contained the words "Harry" and "son". Right. He hadn't quite intended to make an announcement, but there was nothing to be done about it now.

And to add fuel to the fire, as he stood there trapped he spotted Harry, the Grangers and the Weasleys at the back of the store in conversation with Lucius Malfoy. With one final glance at the crowd surrounding him, Severus raised himself to his full height and shouted "ENOUGH!"

As the audience fell into stunned silence, he added, "Do let me pass. Now."

With his freedom gained, he stalked over to his companions, drawing his wand as he walked. Lucius Malfoy did not see it coming until it was pointing at him square between the eyes.

"Step away from him now, Malfoy."

"Now really Severus, I did not know you cared so much. We were simply conversing."

"Continue to defy my wishes and it will be your last conversation."

The pause before Lucius Malfoy gathered his son and stepped away seemed to go on forever. But once he finally did, Malfoy placed his well-known look of haughty condescension on his face.

"I don't take threats lightly, Severus. Especially not from you. You'll pay for this."

"I am quivering with anticipation, Lucius." He waited until the man was out of the store before he lowered his wand. Even then, he did not re-sheath it. Turning quickly to Molly and Arthur he asked,

"Would you be so kind to take Harry's purchases to the Burrow for us to collect later this evening?"

"Certainly, Severus."

"Say goodbye to your friends, Harry."

"But we were going to go - "

"Say goodbye."

"Uh, I guess I'm going. Talk to you later guys."

And with that, Severus pulled the boy against his chest and apparated them both away.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1607