Depression Cure by Snapegirl
Summary: Severus agrees to take Harry to McDonalds in London as a way to snap him out of his depression over losing his magic and certain truths are revealed . . .
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Pomfrey
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Neglect
Prompts: McDonalds Challenge
Challenges: McDonalds Challenge
Series: Hidden Away
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4543 Read: 5791 Published: 01 Aug 2008 Updated: 01 Aug 2008
Story Notes:

This is in answer to the McDonalds challenge by Elise Malfoy.

 Banner by the awesome artist slytherensangel26!! Check out my other stories to see more of her work! It's the best.

depressioncure.jpg picture by aristasnape

1. Depression Cure by Snapegirl

Depression Cure by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
This takes place inbetween chapters 3 and 4 of Hide Yourself Away.

I had to write this, it was nagging me.

"Are you sure this is wise, Albus?" Poppy queried, pushing a lock of her dark hair back beneath her starched white med-witch's cap. "I mean, Harry's mental state is very fragile now, he's just learned of his magic's loss, and I don't think it's a good idea for him to venture outside of the castle. I'd prefer him to remain here, where I can monitor him."

Albus gave her a beseeching look from beneath his half-moon spectacles. "Nonsense, Poppy. I know his magic's loss has hit him quite hard, but staying mewed up in the infirmary is hardly going to do him any good. All he'll do is dwell on his loss. The boy needs to get out, go somewhere interesting and fun, to help him forget his . . .um, loss."

Poppy gave the Headmaster an exasperated look. Honestly, Albus might be a brilliant wizard, but when it came to understanding sorrow and loss, he was as dense as a post. "Albus, Harry's lost his magic, not a Quidditch match or a broom. He's not going to just "get over" it in a week, or forget about it."

"I know, my dear, but all I'm suggesting is that he needs a change of scenery to, uh, cheer him up. A trip into Muggle London might be just the thing."

Poppy frowned. "What do you mean? Where would he go?"

Albus rubbed his hands together, looking like a boy up to some grand prank. His blue eyes were twinkling like mad. "McDonald's, Poppy."

"Mc-what? What's that?"

"It's a Muggle fast food restaurant," interjected Severus, stepping out of the fireplace to check up on Poppy's newest patient. After the horrendously emotional tantrum Potter had pulled on the medi-witch two days ago, Severus wasn't sure if she needed his help to deal with the distraught teenager, and so he had Flooed here as soon as he was finished preparing his new curriculum.

He cast a swift glance over at the bed, where Potter was sleeping soundly. Not that Snape was surprised, he'd brewed an extra-strength Sleeping Draft just for the boy. Potter should sleep until at least mid-morning and it was only nine o'clock now.

He looked questioningly at the Headmaster and Pomfrey, raising a single eyebrow. "Why are you discussing McDonalds, of all places?"

"Because Albus thinks Harry needs to go on an outing," put in Poppy, frowning.

Severus just stared at Dumbledore, wondering if the old wizard had finally cracked. "And you want to take Potter to McDonalds? Do you even know where it is? Or what one looks like?"

"Er . . .no, I've never been to the Muggle side of London, Severus, but I've heard Muggles talking about going there. They seem to love it, especially the children. They eat the strangest kinds of food there . . .things like Quarter Pounders and Big Macs and French fries and Chicken McNuggets . . ."

"Yes, yes, but you'd stand out like a sore thumb there, Albus," Severus felt compelled to point out, trying to spare his Headmaster some embarrassment. "People who go there don't wear purple robes and pointed hats with stars and moons on them. Nor striped rainbow socks."

"Yes, well, I wasn't planning on taking Harry there myself," Albus said, and something about the twinkle in his eyes disturbed Snape profoundly.

Why is he looking at me like that? Oh, surely not . . .

"I was thinking you could take him, Severus," Albus announced, looking pleased as a cat with a bowlful of cream or Filch with a student out of bed after curfew. "Since you were raised mostly Muggle and are familiar with their customs, you would be the ideal guardian for Harry."

Snape backed away. "Albus, no, you aren't serious. Potter and I . . .we don't get on at all. He's a little brat, just like his damn father . . ."

"Now, Severus. Harry is not at all like James, I think he has more of Lily in him myself, personality wise. You'd see that if you spent more time with him. Poppy told me how you managed to calm him down two days ago . . .you seem to have struck a kind of rapport with him, Severus, and it would do you good to get out of your dungeon once in awhile too. Consider it a kind of day off, if you will."

"Albus, you don't want me to escort the boy anywhere, he cannot stand me." Severus objected desperately. "And I'm brewing a most delicate Wolfsbane Potion for Remus Lupin, I need to watch it carefully . . ."

"Oh, come now, Severus! I can watch your potion for what, an hour? And Harry is probably very grateful for your assistance, though he will never admit it. I think this is just the thing to get him over his depression." The blue eyes sharpened, and then the Headmaster said shrewdly, "If you won't do it as a favor for me, Severus, would you do it for Lily? After all, Harry is her son too, and once you were good friends with her . . ."

Severus froze. Then he ground out, "That is low even for you, old man! You know what she meant to me." He flung a hand through his hair. "Very well. I will do it in memory of Lily and what we once shared. I have Muggle money in my quarters." He turned to Poppy. "Have Potter up and dressed at quarter to one, we'll Apparate past the gates and hopefully this crazy scheme works, Albus." He shook his head. "This has to be the craziest depression cure I've ever heard of. Where's that bruise balm, Poppy? Potter will be needing it, and as long as I'm down here, I might as well apply it."

"It's where you put it yesterday morning, dear," Poppy told him, hiding a smile. Snape would never admit it, but he was very concerned over Lily's son. "In the cabinet beside Harry's bed."

"Right. Thank you." He spun about, his black robe billowing, and strode over to the cabinet and fetched the container of salve from inside. Then he gently drew back the covers from the sleeping boy and vanished his clothing, so he could apply the magical balm to the vicious-looking bruises and cuts that marred the boy's back, bottom, and thighs, his legacy of torture at the hands of the Death Eaters.

As he did so, he wondered how he was going to get through the afternoon without losing his temper with the smug brat. Surely Potter would put up a fuss about going to McDonalds, it was probably not exclusive enough for his taste, Severus thought acidly, though his hands were gentle as they rubbed the icy salve into Harry's welts. I would have killed for a meal at McDonalds when I was growing up. It would have been paradise to eat out instead of always eating meals alone at home or with my drunken bully of a father.

Ironic, that now he was finally getting to go to there, he was doing so with James Potter's brat, of all people. God really does have a wicked sense of humor, the Potions Master thought with a sigh.

* * * * * *

"Snape is taking me to McDonalds?" Harry repeated dazedly, rubbing his eyes and feeling as if he'd just awoken in a parallel universe.

"Yes, dear. And it's Professor Snape, Harry," Poppy reminded him with a touch of sternness. "He is your elder and deserving of your respect, especially after what he's done for you."

"Yes, ma'am," Harry sighed. He supposed Poppy was right, after all Snape had rescued him from the Death Eaters and he'd even . . .comforted him after Harry had gone to pieces when he had learned of his shattered magic. He flinched upon thinking about it, and quickly shoved the awful truth to the back of his mind. He didn't really feel like going anywhere except back to sleep, where he could lose himself in dreams, dreams where he was still a wizard who could wield his magic and not some . . . he didn't even know what to call himself now. Maybe they'd invent a word to describe his condition-magically deprived, magicless wonder, The Boy Who Lived Without Magic.

Harry punched his pillow when Poppy wasn't looking, wishing he dared indulge in another temper tantrum and throw the vials of Sleeping Draft against the wall as he'd done two days ago. It felt good to smash and break things, now that he was broken all to pieces inside. Then he recalled who had come when he'd gone hysterical last time, and Harry quickly abandoned that line of thinking. No way did he want Snape in here to witness another meltdown. Besides, if you break anymore of his potions, he might just use you for ingredients next time, Harry cautioned himself.

"Do I really have to go, Madam Pomfrey?" he asked. "I, uh, I'm not really hungry."

But Poppy would have none of his reluctance. "I'm afraid you do, dear. Headmaster's orders. He thinks it would do you a world of good to get out of the castle, you've been brooding too much in here, and since Professor Snape is the only wizard in the castle who knows Muggle customs and is familiar with the Muggle side of London, he will escort you to this, er. . .McDonalds establishment."

Harry's jaw dropped. "Sn-Professor Snape knows Muggle customs? But . . .he's Head of Slytherin and they're all purebloods there."

"Of course they aren't, Harry!" the medi-witch seemed amused. "I'm from Slytherin, you know, and I most assuredly am not a pureblood philosophist. And neither is Professor Snape. He's a half-blood, his mother was a witch and his father a Muggle, and he was raised mostly Muggle."

"He was?" Harry squeaked. "You were in Slytherin too? But . . .but you're, uh, nice," he blurted, then wanted to stick his foot in his mouth. Sometimes he was so stupid!

But Poppy seemed amused rather than insulted. "You know, Mr. Potter, we Serpents aren't all nasty and evil, like You-Know-Who, nor stuck up and arrogant, like Mr. Malfoy. We have an unjust reputation, but we are not all of a piece. Did you never read your Greek myths? In Greek mythology, the serpent was the wise counselor, the keeper of secrets, and also of healing arts. The priests and priestesses of Apollo kept serpents in their temples and revered them and protected them. That is why Muggle doctors have the snake as a symbol on their medical texts and such. I prefer to think of myself as such, rather than the venomous cobra most people imagine us to be."

Harry blushed violently, now he felt even more stupid and ashamed. "Sorry, ma'am. I never . . .I mean most people think . . .never mind. I'll shut up now. Uh . . .where are my clothes, ma'am?" He was still wearing his hospital pajamas.

"Here, Harry. I'll leave you to get changed behind the curtain," Pomfrey said, pulling the curtains about Harry's cubicle and handing him his clothes before departing.

Harry dressed quickly, resolved to keep his mouth shut for once when he was around Snape. He was sure that if he'd said that when the professor was about, Severus would have drawn and quartered him with his eyes and taken strips off his hide with his razor tongue as well. Plus, he was still embarrassed as hell about falling apart on Snape that way, even if he had a good reason for doing so.

Wonderful! I finally get to go to McDonalds, and guess who I get to bring along-my least favorite teacher! This is typical of my luck. The only thing worse than this is if I had to get dragged along with Aunt Petunia and Dudley and wait in the car and watch Dudders pig out through the window, like I did when I was five.

He bent and tied the lace on his trainer, wondering if he'd even be able to eat with the greasy git of the dungeons watching him like a hawk.

* * * * * *

 

"Come along, Potter," Snape said briskly, eyeing the boy up and down as if afraid he would start blubbering any minute. "This was Professor Dumbledore's idea, not mine, but I have agreed and I don't want to waste a whole day, I have potions to brew . . ."

"Yes, sir." Harry answered dutifully. Like he wanted to spend a whole day with the Potions Master.

They walked down the corridor and out of the school, all the way to the gates, until Severus halted once they were outside them and ordered, "Take my arm, Potter. I shall Apparate us toLondon, a block away from the nearest McDonalds. And I will tell you once and only once, you will use proper table manners and refrain from any embarrassing scenes while you are with me, have I made myself perfectly clear? Because if you cause a scene, you will have detention with me for the rest of the year, doing the worst jobs I can think up."

Harry gulped. "Understood, sir," he replied, though another part of him wanted to snap, How old do you think I am, Professor? Three? And who has proper table manners at McDonalds? It's not like it's Westminster Palace. But he managed to keep his tongue under control, for once, and took the Potion Master's arm.

Severus concentrated and in a minute they vanished from Hogwarts and reappeared in a deserted alley a block away from the golden arches.

Harry felt slightly sick, but he would rather be switched than admit that to the dour Potions Master, and so he said nothing and followed Snape down the street. Severus was dressed in Muggle clothes, a pair of black trousers and a soft gray shirt and casual black loafers. He had even tied back his hair, so it was not in his eyes.

Looking at Snape now, Harry could almost see that he was not his nemesis, but a normal person. It was a very odd feeling.

The McDonalds was crowded, there were several families in there with what seemed like hordes of screaming hyper children and Severus felt as if he'd walked into a nightmare. Oh, Albus, you are going to pay for this! Just what I needed, ha! He waited on line, keeping an eagle eye on Potter, who was studying the large menu above the counter as if he'd never seen it before. Don't be ridiculous, Severus, of course Potter's been here before, his relatives were well-off middle class, not dirt poor like you were.

He eyed the menu himself, not quite sure what to choose. In front of them, a harried mother with three kids was yelling at her three-year-old to stop picking his nose and her other child to quit knocking the straws off the condiment bar.

Severus was appalled at the children's behavior, he wouldn't have dared behave so horridly in public, Tobias would have stripped the skin off his bum, and Eileen wouldn't have tolerated it either. If they were mine, I'd be giving them the scolding of their bratty lives and maybe a smack too, the Potions Master thought darkly, as the oldest, a seven-year-old girl, started a quarrel with the five-year-old over what kind of toy came with the Happy Meal.

"Brianna, if you don't stop it this instant . . .!" her mother warned. "Neither of you will be getting any Happy Meal toys at all."

At that dire threat, the kids stopped arguing.

Severus heaved a sigh of relief. He'd come close to snapping at the brats to knock it the hell off.

The mother turned around and said, half-apologetically, "It's been one of those days, you know?" she eyed him and Harry knowingly. "You're lucky your son's grown up enough to behave himself. I can't wait till mine are that age."

Before the Potions Master could correct her horrible mistake-imagine Potter as his son! Merlin, he'd commit himself-the woman had turned back around and was giving her order to the blond girl behind the counter.

Severus quickly turned to Harry and asked in a low voice, "Have you decided what you want to order, P-Harry?" He made a snap decision to call the boy by his given name while among the Muggles, lest people think there was something strange about them.

Harry blinked, startled, then said, "Uh, yes, sir. I . . .um . . .want a # 8 Extra Value Meal, that's the chicken nuggets and fries with a Coke."

"I know what it is, I can read," the professor said testily. "Go get us a table, before we end up eating on the floor."

Harry quickly departed to find a table, luckily one had just opened up and he snagged it before anybody else noticed. The smells from the next table were mouthwatering and suddenly Harry was starving. Funny, but he couldn't remember being this hungry in the infirmary, despite the excellent food Madam Pomfrey had served. Since his magic had been . . .stolen, he hadn't had much of an appetite.

Severus finished ordering and glanced about to see where Potter had gone. He soon spotted the skinny figure sitting at a table near the window. He was licking his lips and Severus resolved to speak to Poppy about the boy's eating habits, he really was too thin, one would think he rarely ate during the summer. But Severus knew that the Muggles Albus had placed him with could afford to feed twelve boys with the stipend the Headmaster was paying them, so there was no excuse for Potter to look like a starvling waif, the way Severus had when he was young. Unless the boy had an eating disorder...? He'd have to question Poppy when they returned to Hogwarts, because no matter if Potter was a carbon copy of his father, he was still Severus's student, and he had a duty to report any possible suspicion of addictive behavior to the medi-witch. And Lily would have wanted you to keep an eye on her son, whispered his conscience.

Harry looked up from contemplating the view of the street and the cars and people going by to see Snape heading over to their table carrying a tray. On it was Harry's chicken nugget meal and . . .the Gryffindor's eyes nearly fell out of his head. A Big Mac. And fries and what looked like an iced tea.

"What's the matter . . .Harry?" Snape demanded, remembering just in time to call the brat by his first name. "Surely you've seen food before? You needn't act like this is your first time eating here."

Harry flushed, he hated the way Snape seemed able to read him like a book. "Uh . . . thanks, Professor." he reached out and took his box of chicken nuggets and his fries and Coke off the tray. The fries were crispy and so hot they burned his tongue. He savored the salty delicious taste.

Severus opened his own box with the Big Mac inside and stared at it. He hadn't expected it to be so . . .big. When he'd asked the woman behind the counter what was the best sandwich here, she had recommended this one, and so Severus had ordered it. It looked as if it had three hamburgers and three buns and a bunch of lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on it.

He sniffed it experimentally.

It smelled heavenly, and he hadn't eaten anything all day, he'd been too busy brewing the Wolfsbane for Remus.

The Potions Master picked up the Big Mac and bit into it, chewed slowly, and swallowed.

It tasted as good as it smelled.

He took another bite. There were pickles on it as well and some kind of creamy orange sauce too.

He felt eyes on him and flicked a glance across the table to find Potter watching him raptly, a chicken nugget dangling forgotten from his hand.

"What's wrong with you, boy?" hissed Severus irritably. "One would think you never saw a person eating before? What's the problem? Have I grown an extra eye? Well? Why are you acting like an imbecile all of a sudden?"

Harry blinked, then went red. He hadn't realized he was staring, it was just so . . .weird to see Snape actually eating normal Muggle food and seeming to enjoy it too. "Uh . . .nothing, sir. How's your, uh, Big Mac, sir?"

"It is surprisingly good," the Potions Master admitted quietly. "Better than I expected. But surely you know that, having eaten one yourself at one time."

"Yeah, right," Harry muttered, then ate the nugget he was holding. It tasted great too. Because I always came here with my fat cousin Dudley and got to watch him eat through the window while I was left in the car like a dog, he thought bitterly, unaware that his treacherous tongue had spoken his thoughts aloud until he saw Snape set down his half-eaten Big Mac and stare at him.

"Excuse me? What did you just say?"

"What? I said . . . why are you looking at me that way, sir?"

"How would you expect me to look after you just admitted to me that your relatives starved you and treated you worse than an animal?" Severus demanded, his voice low and sharp. "Rumors to the contrary, I do not enjoy hurting or abusing my students, nor would I ever permit anyone else to do so. How long have your relatives been treating you that way, Harry?"

Harry promptly ate some more fries, refusing to answer. Snape had no right to pry into his personal life, he wasn't his Head of House, nor anything like a friend, and Harry wasn't going to discuss this here, of all places.

"Harry! Answer me," hissed the Potions Master.

"No," came the defiant whisper.

Severus ground his teeth together. Damn the boy and his stubbornness. Where did he get it from? Lily had never been like that, nor James either. "P-Harry, I assure you, you aren't the first case of abuse I've discovered. I know the signs. No one knows them better. Now, we can continue this discussion at school, if you'd prefer, but one way or another, we will be discussing it."

Harry bit into another nugget angrily. So much for enjoying his first meal ever at McDonalds. "Fine, sir! Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to enjoy the rest of my lunch, considering it's my first time eating here."

Snape nodded, not wanting to quarrel in public. "Yours and mine both," he muttered, and returned to eating his Big Mac.

Harry gasped. Surely he had heard that wrong? Snape had never eaten at McDonalds either? He wondered what kind of life the professor had had growing up, if he had never eaten in this most popular restaurant? I know the signs. No one knows them better. Snape's earlier words echoed in his head. Did that mean what he thought it did? That Snape knew the signs because he'd lived through them too?

Harry shook his head. Yeah, sure. Severus Snape, an abused child? Get real, Potter. The man's just trying to get you to talk to him, and he'll use whatever he has to in order to do that. Well, it ain't gonna work. I'm not telling him anything.

He dipped his third nugget in the barbecue sauce the girl had given him and found it tasted wonderful. He stole glances at Snape all throughout the rest of the meal, fighting the urge to start laughing at the way Snape was savoring his Big Mac. Really, Harry could almost believe that muttered comment, with how the professor was eating.

But at last they had finished their entire meal and Harry found himself strangely reluctant to leave. It had been . . .nice, eating here, and not having to worry about kids whispering about him behind his back and the food was great, no wonder Dudley had loved coming here. Then he recalled another thing McDonalds served.

"Sir? Could I, uh, maybe get some ice cream? Unless you think it's too expensive?"

Snape looked rather amused. "I think I can afford it. Wait here."

He returned five minutes later with a small vanilla cone with sprinkles on it and a small paper bag. He handed the cone to Harry. "Here. This was the only flavor they had."

"Thanks." Harry licked the ice cream and sighed in bliss.

Severus sat back down, content to wait until Harry had finished his ice cream before Apparating them back to school. Where they would then have a pointed discussion about the boy's relatives.

Harry ate slowly, but the ice cream was gone all too soon, and he stood up and took the trash to the garbage bin. Then Severus accompanied him outside and down the street. Harry wondered what was in the bag in the Potion Master's hand, but didn't want to risk another question.

Severus took Harry's arm and Apparated away, returning to Hogwarts in a flash of blue light.

He escorted Harry back to the infirmary, then went to find Poppy. Then he recalled the bag in his hand. He turned around. "Potter. Here. You can eat it for supper. Just ask Madam Pomfrey to cast a warming charm upon it."

Harry took the bag the professor held out to him. He opened it. Inside was a Big Mac.

Before Harry could thank him, or say anything more, Snape was striding off into Pomfrey's office and disappearing inside like a shadowy winged falcon.

Harry carefully placed the bag upon his nightstand and took off his trainers and went to lay down on his bed. For some reason he was sleepy again and though he wanted to remain awake to ponder the new revelations about his Potions Master, his eyes were shutting.

An hour later, Snape left Poppy's office, the discussion having taken longer than expected. He was just going to go over to Potter's bed and try and make the stubborn child speak about his home life when he noticed the boy was sleeping. Severus's normally stern face softened a bit as he gazed at the peacefully sleeping thirteen-year-old.

Ah, well. There's always tomorrow. Or the next day. He can't escape me, seeing as he's going to be staying here the rest of the summer, and I can always tease the answers out of him later, when I've got more time.

Then the Potions Master turned and walked out of the infirmary and back to his lab, where he hoped the Wolfsbane was still simmering gently and Albus had not forgotten to stir it ten times counterclockwise.

The End.
End Notes:
So how did you like this little bit of backstory?

I've adjusted my storyline in Hide Yourself Away to reflect this little one-shot.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1632