Forbidden Flight by Snapegirl
Summary: A 5-year-old Harry gets a new broom for his birthday and takes it on an unsupervised forbidden flight through the neighborhood. Master Healer Snape is not amused. A short story set in the NA universe
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 15038 Read: 24358 Published: 06 Oct 2008 Updated: 10 Oct 2008
Scared Stiff by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Sirius must face his dreaded nemesis--needles. Can Harry help him overcome his fear?

A fluffy funny chapter!

Thanks for all the reviews and hope you all enjoy it!

After supper that night, Severus took Harry back to the three elderly neighbors whom he had pranked and had his son tell them he was sorry and would never do anything like that again. He also offered to do any small chores they would like for a half-an-hour over the weekend.

Maura Alder, who turned out to be a very nice lady, agreed to have Harry come and weed her front walk and help her hang up her laundry. Mr. Pritchard allowed Harry to come and feed and walk Max, who didn't get enough exercise, since Mr. Pritchard was over a hundred and had trouble keeping up with the active young dog. Even Mr. Spinner, the terror of the neighborhood children for his temper and his dislike of obnoxious and disrespectful youngsters, agreed to have Harry come and help him tidy up his house, once Harry had told him that he was awful sorry and hadn't actually thrown a dungbomb at all, and how Severus had spanked him really hard and grounded him and taken away his broom.

"Humph, well, you deserved it, boy, and I'm glad t'see there're still parents nowadays who care enough t'punish their kids properly, ‘stead of makin' excuses and whatnot and letting their kids run wild."

"Yes, sir. Uh, what will I be doing for you, sir?"

"Y'know how to dust? And wash dishes and that sort o' thing?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, sir. And I can make my own bed and set the table by myself too."

"Oh, y'can, can you? I might just add that t'the list, then," Spinner said, then winked at Severus to show he was only teasing.

"I'll bring him by on the weekend, around eleven o'clock in the morning, if that's agreeable with you, Arnold?"

"Aye, it is. I'll make ‘im work a bit so's he learns his lesson, Healer Snape." Spinner promised.

"Fair enough, we'll see you this weekend," the Healer said, then he took Harry home and gave him a bath and put him to bed.

The two days and the weekend that followed were some of the longest days of Harry's young life. About the only good thing he could say about them was that after the weekend of doing chores for the neighbors, he was so tired that he was happy he could go to sleep at seven-thirty instead of eight-thirty, and he had also discovered that the three wizards were not the odd ogres the other children thought they were.

Mrs. Alder was very sweet and enjoyed baking and making salads, she sent some cranberry-orange scones and a Waldorf salad home with Harry that night for supper and dessert. Mr. Pritchard enjoyed gardening and showed Harry his prize-winning Queen's Yellow Phoenix roses-a bright yellow rose with a flame-orange phoenix imprint inside it. He gave Harry one to show Severus. And Mr. Spinner, for all of his gruff manner, collected the most unusual specimens of rocks, magical and ordinary, and let Harry see and hold some of them. And his two dogs, General and Captain, were not mean at all once you fed them a dog biscuit.

On Sunday night, Sirius and Remus visited, continuing a long-standing tradition of having dinner with Severus, Harry, and Lily, when she was alive. That night, Severus cooked a simple meal of roasted chicken, buttered noodles, broccoli, and rolls.

Of course, Sirius asked Harry how he liked his broomstick, and Harry promptly told him everything that had happened since his birthday.

"Sev, you actually spanked him?" Sirius demanded, knowing full well of his friend's aversion to such punishment. "You didn't use a slipper, did you?"

"Of course not! I gave him six smacks with my hand. I'm not like your mother and father, Sirius. Or James's either."

"But it really hurt, Uncle Siri," Harry chimed in, trying to get some sympathy. "I couldn't sit down for like the whole weekend and I cried forever. And Dad spanked me right in front of all those other kids and I was really upset."

"Sev, you didn't!" gasped the Auror. He knew quite well Harry was exaggerating the severity of his punishment, but he decided to play along. "Aww, you poor thing! C'mere, kid, and let me see if there are any marks." He picked up Harry and pretended to inspect his bottom.

"Sirius, for the love of Merlin!" Remus sighed.

Severus scowled. "You're unbelievable, Black! You ought to know that I'd never hit him that hard."

"Sure I do, but you didn't really spank the poor kid in public, did you?"

"Uh . . .yes, I did. Unintentionally. I forgot the other children were there, I was so angry with him I didn't think. I felt bad afterwards, but what's done is done."

Sirius hugged his favorite nephew and said, "You've got a pretty strict dad there, Harry, but he loves you, y'know."

"I know." Harry gave Severus a sweet smile. "He was afraid I'd get lost and then all of you would miss me forever." Then he heaved a martyred sigh. " ‘Cept I wish I could fly my broom now. Two weeks is forever!"

All the adult wizards chuckled at that. "Well, scamp, once you get your broom back, you'll really appreciate it," Remus remarked. "Like I did mine after my dad took mine away once."

Harry nodded. "Yup. Getting my broom taken away was like a really bad thing. The worst! Well, b'sides the spanking."

Sirius grimaced. "Oh, I can think of a few things worse than that, but not many."

"Like what?" Harry asked, puzzled.

"Like needles," replied the Animagus with a shudder.

Harry cocked his head. "You're afraid of needles, Padfoot? Like Stevie Perkins?"

"Who's that?"

"A kid my age that Dad says is terrible to give shots to. He bit Dad three times already, til he put him in a Body Bind."

"Oh. Can't say I blame him," Sirius said feelingly.

"But Padfoot, needles don't really hurt that bad. Dad makes sure and he puts a salve on to make the sting go away after. I don't even cry when Dad gives me them."

Sirius shuddered. "Please, Harry! I hate them! They're an evil invention."

"But why?"

"Because when I was a kid, around thirteen, I had just learned how to change forms, and I became a dog and was, uh, running around during the summer, near Diagon Alley and some man the Muggles call a dog catcher snatched me up in some net and brought me to a place called a pound."

"Really? That's like jail for dogs."

"Yeah, tell me about it."

"How come you didn't just change back to a person?"

"Uh, because I was too nervous and how would I explain doing magic like that? Nobody knew I was an Animagus then except my friends, not even my parents or my little brother. So I was stuck in that dog prison and while I was there they had a Muggle vet come and examine me. It was awful. He shoved the most horrid potions down my throat and gave me ten needles . . .ten . . .in my bum and my neck and even stuck one in my paw! And that one he taped there."

"That one was an IV," Severus put in. "It probably contained some antibiotics and vitamins."

"I don't care what it contained, it hurt like a bitch!" Sirius cried. "I tried to bite it out, but then he tied my mouth shut."

"Watch your mouth, Siri," Remus scolded, jerking his head at Harry.

"Oops. Sorry. Harry, don't ever repeat what I just said."

"I won't. I don't wanna eat soap." Harry told him. "How'd you escape?"

"Uh, I didn't. I had to wait till someone adopted me," Sirius admitted. "Which happened quite soon afterwards, ‘cause I know how to make them beg, ‘specially the ladies."

"He was in there for maybe a day and a few hours," chuckled Remus. "Until some little girl thought he was too cute to resist, and took him home."

"Actually we never made it to her house," Sirius grinned. "I slipped my way out of her hold on me and ran away. And by then I was desperate and managed to transform back into a boy. I was tired and feeling sick to my stomach and I still hurt from all those bloody shots. And that's why I hate needles and I'm not getting one on Tuesday."

That's what YOU think, Severus snorted softly. He would have to check Sirius's chart, but from what he recalled, he thought Sirius needed boosters of pyromantic flu and another of dragon pox, since the original vaccine had not been as strong when it was first invented and in order to ensure that he didn't catch the disease, Severus had to give him a repeat vaccination, as he did to any who had been born in that year. Severus had to repeat the vaccinations himself, though his partner Healer Morgan, gave him the shots. Still, he knew better than to mention that to Sirius, though he did whisper in Remus's ear that he should keep an eye on Sirius the day of his appointment.

* * * * * *

 

On Tuesday, Sirius came to work the same as usual, Flooing into the Auror department and tried to make time run backwards, with a spell of his own invention, but it failed. He worked on a few cases, but couldn't concentrate and kept thinking about the trip to the Healer's. Finally, after he had written the wrong name five times on his incident report sheet, and imagining Severus torturing him with dozens of shiny long needles, he couldn't take it any more. He stuffed his paperwork back in his desk and headed outside, pretending he was going for a breath of fresh air.

Remus lifted his head from his desk and demanded, "Where are you going, Sirius? Your lunch isn't until another half-an-hour."

"Out for a breather. It's too stuffy in there," he replied nonchalantly.

Remus merely nodded.

Sirius hid a smile and then proceeded to walk out the door. But just before he could Apparate, a hand gripped his arm.

"And just where are you off to, Black?" demanded his boss, Auror Captain Mad-Eye Moody.

"Off to, sir?" Sirius asked, doing his level best to act all innocent. "Nowhere, sir."

"No? Then why were you trying to Apparate, hmm?" Moody frowned hard at Sirius, who winced. Moody's glares were almost as bad as Snape's.

"Forgot a file back at my house, sir."

"And you were going to get it, huh?" said Moody suspiciously. "You're a terrible liar, Black."

"Me? Sir, I don't understand . . ."

"Oh, I think you do. You were planning on doing a runner, skipping out on your annual physical, weren't you?"

"I . . .I don't need one. I'm perfectly healthy."

"Department requirements, Black. Everyone gets one every year, no exceptions." Moody said firmly, still keeping tight hold of Sirius's elbow. "You're not up to date with your vaccinations."

"So what? Who needs ‘em."

"You do. Come on, Black, surely you can't be afraid of a little needle?" Moody began. "I've seen you take a Cutting Curse and a partial Cruciatus without so much as a whimper."

"That's different." Sirius insisted stubbornly. "They didn't hurt like shots do."

Moody stared at him. "Black, pull yourself together and quit acting like a ninny. You're twenty-five, for Merlin's sake! Now march yourself back inside and get back to work. You've got another half-an-hour before your appointment with Healer Snape."

"No! No, please, sir. I'd rather get demoted."

"Black, stop it! You're nuts." And with that, Moody steered the panicky Sirius back inside, where he instructed Remus to keep an eye on the other wizard.

Remus handed Sirius a butterbeer, into which he'd placed a Calming Draught, and while the Auror was drinking, snitched his wand out of his holder. Sirius didn't even know it was gone. Remus waited for the Calming Draught to take effect, then led the now-quiet Sirius to a fireplace and Flooed to Snape's office with his friend.

Sirius remained calm enough until the receptionist called, "Mr. Black, Master Healer Snape will see you now."

Sirius backed up, and would have run away had not Remus grabbed his shoulder. "Oh no you don't. Get in there, Siri."

"I'm not sick! I don't need Sev to tell me what I already know."

"Quit making an ass of yourself, Sirius! There are little kids watching," Remus hissed.

"Mummy, that man's a'scared of the Healer just like me," said a little girl loudly, and all the parents bit their lips to keep from laughing.

Sirius subsided then and allowed himself to be led into the exam room. Remus stepped out and guarded the door, until a medi-witch entered with a tray of potions and two needles, which she set up on the counter, followed by Severus and Harry.

Sirius took one glance at the needles arrayed upon the tray and yelped, "Sev, you never said there'd be two of them!" he started to try climbing the wall, but the walls were smooth. "I can't do this! If you try to come over here, I'll hex you good!" threatened the desperate wizard. He groped around for his wand. "Where the bloody hell's my wand?"

"Remus has it," Severus answered. "Calm down, Sirius."

"Moony, you traitor!"

"Relax, Sirius," Severus ordered, speaking in an even soothing tone. "These vaccinations aren't for you, they're for Harry. He's due for them as well."

"They're not mine?" Sirius relaxed a fraction.

No, but the next ones are, thought the Healer, biting back a smirk. "No. I thought it might help if you watched me give the vaccinations to someone, so you can see it really doesn't hurt and you don't have to be afraid. Harry volunteered."

"Sev, you're evil! Making a kid go through that." Sirius shuddered.

"It's not so bad, Padfoot." Harry said calmly. "It only stings for a second."

"That's what you think!"

Harry shook his head. "I'll be okay." He looked at his father.

"Go ahead, Harry. Show your uncle how it's done."

Harry quickly removed his jeans and underwear, then leaned over the exam table, his bottom bared.

Sirius winced and trembled.

Severus quickly filled a needle with the vaccine and approached his son.

"Harry, run, I'll hold him until you escape," Sirius urged.

"Padfoot, I'm okay." Harry reassured.

"You won't be in a minute." Sirius said, wanting to howl.

But Harry didn't even twitch when Snape swabbed his bottom and inserted the needle. It was over in seconds and the only sound Harry made was a soft, "Ouch!" There were no tears, no hysterics. Severus rubbed some salve on the place where the needle had gone in.

"Good job, Harry! Not too bad, right?" Severus praised. "Hold still, son." He reached for the second vaccine.

Harry remained frozen, and Severus gave him the second shot. "Owwie! Dad, that stung a lot."

"I know. It's more concentrated." Again he rubbed on salve and Harry stood up, fixed his clothes, and turned around. "Do I get a chocolate frog now, Dad?"

"Yes, two for being a model patient."

Harry beamed. Then he turned to peer at Sirius, who looked like he was about to hyperventilate. "See, that wasn't too bad."

He accepted two chocolate frogs from Severus. Then he ate one. "Thanks, Dad."

Severus sent the test results for Harry down to the lab, the turned to Sirius and said. "Your turn, Mr. Black."

Sirius shook his head. "No . . no way . . .stay away from me, Snape! Before I . . .I change into a dog and . . .and bite you!"

"Sirius, Merlin help you," Severus sighed, drawing his wand. "I had hoped I wouldn't need to do this. Don't you feel ashamed, that a five-year-old took that better than you?"

Sirius flushed, for he did feel ashamed. "Please, Sev . . .why can't you just use a potion?"

"Potions are ineffective. Vaccinations are surer. Sirius, come here and try and act your age, please."

But the Auror was rooted to the spot, staring in fascinated dread at the three needles lined up on the new tray the medi-witch had brought. "Not three! Lord, Snape, this is your revenge isn't it, for me buying that broom for Harry? I'm sorry! I'll return it. Right now!"

"Padfoot, you're being ridiculous. Of course I'd never revenge myself on a patient."

"And his too," he leveled a finger at Harry. "‘Cause flying the broom got him spanked, right?"

"Huh?" Harry looked puzzled.

"Ignore him, scamp. Fear makes him babble nonsense." Severus said, pulling on another set of white physician's gloves.

Harry stepped forward at his father's nod, and said, "C'mon, Padfoot. It's okay." He took Sirius's hand and led him over to the table. "Bottoms up, Padfoot." He giggled.

"That's not funny, damn it!" Sirius snapped. Sweat was dripping into his eyes. He turned and looked at Severus. "Do I have to? I mean, nobody really dies any more of these diseases, so why the hell do we need these shots anyway? I had ‘em already and I don't care if the bloody thing is wearing off, so can't we just-"

"Drop them, Sirius." Severus ordered, interrupting the other's babbled excuses.

"I . . okay . . just give me a second." he fumbled with the button on his trousers.

"D'you need some help?" Harry inquired artlessly.

"No!" Sirius cried, feeling himself blush even redder. Black, you coward! A five-year-old is braver than you! He scolded himself. He managed at last to undo everything. "I hate this! I really really hate this, Snape!"

"A minute, Siri. Just one minute," Severus soothed, then pointed his wand and caused the Auror's trousers and shorts to fall down.

Siirus gritted his teeth, shivering. "I hate you, Sev! You're evil and horrible and a greasy-"

"Git with no sense of humor, yes, I know," Severus finished dryly. "Lean over, please."

Sirius froze. All he could think of was the horrible place where he'd been trapped as a dog and the antiseptic smell and the way the vet's hand had grabbed him and held him down and stuck him with all those sharp burning needles. No! No! Please!

Abruptly, Severus spun around, looking as if he were about to leave. "Fine, Padfoot. You win. I won't give you any vaccinations."

Sirius relaxed. "You won't? Thanks a lot, you're the best-hey!" The next instant, he felt Severus's hand on the small of his back, pushing him forward. "Why you sneaky, snarky, miserable Slytherin bastard!"

"Exactly. Be still." Snape ordered, holding his patient down firmly. "If you move about when I insert the needle, it could break," he warned. "And that will really hurt."

Sirius cursed Severus roundly in his head, his teeth clenched.

"Harry, talk to him." Snape ordered, for being tense would only cause the injection to hurt more.

"‘Kay, Dad. Hey, Padfoot, is it true my other dad once pranked an aunt of his by making her stink?"

"Yeah, James was mad at her ‘cause she said Severus was a half-Mudblood and not fit to associate with the rest of us-ye-oow!" he yelped, though he barely felt the needle go in, Severus was too quick.

"One down. Good job." Severus murmured. He dabbed on some salve. "Keep talking to him, Harry."

He waited until Harry had engaged the Auror in another conversation before he gave Sirius the second shot.

That time, the Auror merely grunted, though it hurt more than the first one. But the sting was soon gone when Severus applied the salve.

"Very good. Last one."

"Sev, you're a sadist," muttered his friend. "And if I had my wand I'd hex you to the dark side of the moon-Oww, damn it!"

"Done. That was the worst," the Healer said, erasing the sting with his magic salve again. He clapped his friend on the shoulder. "See, you survived."

"I'd better not have an allergic reaction to these damn things, Severus," grumbled the Auror.

"If you do, call me. Now quit mooning me, Padfoot, and get dressed. My medi-witches have seen too many bare arses to be interested in yours," he joked lightly.

"Think so?"

"Black, do you want another needle?" threatened the Healer.

At that, Sirius pulled up his clothing, giving his friend a glare as he did so. "You're a riot, Snape."

"Now you get a chocolate frog, Uncle Sirius!" announced Harry. "Maybe even three of ‘em."

"Can I have three shots of firewhiskey instead?"

"Sirius!" scolded Snape.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"Never mind." Severus shoved the bowl of candy at the Auror. "Take one. It'll calm you down."

Sirius took a chocolate frog and ate it. The smooth silky chocolate did make him feel better.

Then Severus completed the rest of his exam.

Remus stuck his head in. "Need any help, Sev? Or did you knock him out with a club?"

"Ha ha, very funny, Moony." Sirius grumbled. "I can't wait to see you get your vaccinations."

"Already had ‘em, yesterday," said the werewolf smugly.

"You're in good health, Sirius," Severus said, writing on his patient's chart with a green quill. "And just think, you're done with vaccinations forever-"

"Thank Merlin!" Sirius heaved a vast sigh of relief.

"Unless we invent a new one," added Severus wickedly.

"Do that, Snape, and I'm moving to Antarctica. All the germs freeze over there and nobody gets sick."

"That's ‘cause only penguins live there, Padfoot," Harry put in. "But what if you catch a penguin disease?"

For some reason, that question made all the adults burst out laughing.

Harry eyed them, trying to figure out what was so funny. Grown-ups were so weird sometimes!

"Sirius, you might want to go and take a short nap before returning to work," Severus said then. "Those vaccinations can make you tired and muddleheaded for a while."

Sirius eyed Lupin, who was his senior. "Think Moody will let me have the day off?"

"For what?"

"Post traumatic stress disorder."

"I'm not even going to answer that one," the werewolf groaned. "Go take a nap, Padfoot."

The End.
End Notes:
Well, what did you think? Like it?

This story will be ending in one more chapter.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1676