An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158617 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Safe Haven by Pandora
Author's Notes:
Many thanks to my beta, EDQ (She knows what it stands for!) A.K.A. ObsidianEmbrace for again waving her magic wand and improving my story!

"Potter! Potter! Potter!"

Who's annoyingly familiar voice was disturbing his sleep? Harry opened his eyelid a fraction of an inch and shut it up tight again, when through his blurred vision and blinding headache, he found a tight-lipped, menacing, giant bat-like creature was looming over him.

"Ugh- Snape" Harry groaned. Last night's events rushing back to Harry with sickening reality. He put the pillow over his head and attempted to block out the ever-increasingly volatile Potions master's screeching voice. "Leave me alone, I feel like I've been run over by a herd of hippogriffs."

"Potter if you don't get up this instant, there will be a repeat performance of your ice-cold shower last night." Snape threatened ominously.

"Why can't you just leave me alone to die in peace, Snape?" Harry complained through gritted teeth. Not quite trusting Snape not to follow through on his threat, Harry forced his tired body to sit up.

He peered at Severus through droopy eyes. He put a hand through his already mussed-up hair. "What time is it anyway?" he asked, noticing that the moonlight was filtering in through the small dungeon windows.

Snape smirked. "It is five thirty, and it is time you got your lazy arse out of bed."

Harry glared at him. "Five thirty! No way I'm getting up now, Snape." And with that Harry crawled back under the covers and pulled them up over his head.

Harry suddenly heard what suspiciously sounded like the swish of a wand and dripping water. He pulled the covers down enough to peer at Snape and noticed him glancing towards the bathroom, with an evil smirk on his face.

Throwing back the covers, Harry jumped to his feet with lightening-quick speed.

"Fine. I'm up," he replied grumpily. "But why do we have to get up so early?" Harry whined.

"Because I have classes to teach, and you have classes to attend," Severus replied impatiently.

Harry's eyes widened. "You have got to be kidding, Snape. I'm not going to classes today. I feel like I'm going to puke, my eyes burn like hell and my head feels as though someone's going wild on the bongo drums. There's no bloody way I'm sitting in class and listening to the likes of you drone on and on about how I've melted my cauldron and I'm nothing but an incompetent dunderhead and-"

Snape's narrowed his eyes, and grabbed Harry by the collar, his eyes flashing dangerously.

"If I won't tolerate your disrespect in class Potter, then I will certainly not tolerate it in my private quarters. And while we are on the subject of respect," he said menacingly, "if you refer to me as Snape one more time, I'll reverse the effects of the potions I've given you and I'll make certain that the symptoms from your little drinking spree, that you've experienced thus far, will seem like a walk in the park in comparison." Severus lifted Harry up on his feet and leant in a little closer. "Are we clear on that, Potter?" he asked in a menacingly calm voice.

Harry gulped. When this was all over, he was definitely going to look into some body building potions, and he was going to start lifting bar-bells, Harry decided. He was thoroughly fed up of everyone being bigger and taller than him and tired of being pushed around and bullied, as a result.

"Yes sir," he said through gritted teeth.

Snape surprised Harry though. "You need not call me sir when we are alone, or in my quarters. You may call me Severus."

Harry gaped at him.

"However," he continued, dropping Harry on his feet, “during school hours and in class, you will refer to me as Professor or sir. Understood?"

Harry nodded. Yeah right. Harry just couldn't imagine calling Snape, Severus!

"Now...go eat your breakfast--then get washed up and dressed. We have a long day ahead of us and we need to meet with Minerva before classes begin."

"But how am I supposed to go to class without a wand Sna-" The glare that Severus awarded Harry could have frozen a river. "Uh, Se-Severus?"

"That is something we will be discussing with Minerva," Severus said impatiently. "Now move it Potter; we haven't got all day," he snapped.

"If I can't call you Snape, how come you get to call me Potter?" Harry blurted out without thinking.

Harry froze as he watched Snape's lips thin.

"Harry." The words felt foreign on his lips, but Severus supposed that since everyone knew that the boy was his son, perhaps it was time to drop the Potter when referring to Harry. Frankly, Severus wished that he could forget the name Potter altogether.

"Very well then, Harry it is." Severus agreed reluctantly. "However, I reserve the right to revert to Potter, when I'm seriously pissed off with you. Of course, that is ninety-nine percent of the time," he jeered.

"Alright," Harry shot back. "But does that mean that if I'm seriously pissed off with you, that I can call you Snape?"

Snape glared at Harry.

Uh, maybe not.

"Enough fooling around Pot-Harry," Snape snarled. He pointed to the table laden with food. "Eat.”

Harry's stomach revolted. All he could manage to force down was a couple bites of toast, and a few swigs of pumpkin juice.

Severus eyed Harry's empty plate. "You eat enough to feed a bird." He went to spoon some eggs onto Harry's plate.

Harry held up one hand, and waved the eggs away with the other.

"No, please. I can't eat anymore," Harry groaned. "I'll eat breakfast later in the Great Hall if I'm hungry." Right now, the thought of food made his stomach churn, and the thought of going to classes seemed as inviting as drinking another round of fire whiskey.

"Please Sn-uh, Severus, can't I just skip classes for today? I really don't think I can manage...feeling this way."

"You will attend classes. There is no way I am leaving you down here on your own all day, unsupervised," Snape said firmly.

Harry glared at him angrily. "I'm not a bloody child. I don't need a babysitter."

Severus wanted nothing more to shake his idiot son till his teeth rattled. "Has all that alcohol that you've consumed, pickled your brains, Potter?" Snape spat furiously.

Harry clenched his teeth "Go. To. Hell. Snape. I'm going up to Gryffindor Tower, and I'm going back to bed." Harry stood up angrily, and turned to leave.

Severus' hand whipped out and grabbed Harry by his pyjama top.

"You. Are. Not. Going anywhere." Severus shoved Harry back down into the chair.

Harry attempted to get back up, but Severus kept a firm grip on him, forcing Harry to remain seated.

Severus took a deep breath, and tried to keep his temper at bay. How on earth were they going to make this work? How was he supposed to deal with this mule-headed boy without reverting to murder?

"Have you forgotten the minute fact that you are being controlled by Dark Magic, boy?" Snape bellowed. He was beginning to seriously lose patience with this pig-headed Gryffindor, who just happened to be the fruit of his loins!

"You have ten minutes to get a shower, and get dressed, or I will drag you out of here in your pyjamas," Severus threatened menacingly. He yanked Harry up out of his seat by his collar, and pointed towards the bathroom. He let go suddenly, and Harry almost lost his balance.

Harry cursed the fact that he had been stupid enough to lose track of his wand, because he would seriously use it to curse the ugly git, into oblivion. He stomped all the way to the bathroom.

Harry took the fastest shower in history, dressed as quickly as his alcohol-addled brain would allow him to and presented himself, in just under the allotted ten minutes, before Snape, who was holding a stop watch and tapping his booted foot impatiently.

Snape looked down in disgust at the haphazard fashion in which Harry had dressed himself. Harry's robes were in disarray and his tie was on crooked. His hair was sticking up in its usual stubborn way, and his shirt was buttoned in the wrong holes.

"Honestly, you'd think that you would have learned to dress yourself properly, a long time ago," Snape jeered.

"Yeah well, at least I know that black is not one of the three basic colour groups," Harry shot back.

Harry thought he detected a slight lift of the corner of Snape's mouth at that rejoinder, but he couldn't be certain.

Harry drew back instinctively when Severus lifted his wand.

Severus lifted an eyebrow. "Do you think that I dragged you back here from Grimmauld Place, plied you with Potions and coffee to sober you up from your little drinking spree, only to hex you?" he asked caustically. "Really Potter, you must learn not to be so jumpy."

With a flick of his wand, Harry's clothes fell into place, his shirt buttoned up, and even his hair smoothed back obediently.

Harry's jaw dropped in surprise. How positively considerate of the man. Snape, considerate? Perhaps not. He was Slytherin after all. He would have wanted to save himself time, rather than wait for Harry to force his fumbling fingers, to obey his scrambled brain's commands.

Severus reached into his pocket and pulled out a phial of a familiar-looking potion. He held it out to Harry.

Harry looked up questioningly.

"Can't have you going to class with a hangover, can we, Potter? This should clear your head so you'll be able to perform at your usual remedial level of competence," Severus explained acerbically.

Harry debated whether he needed the relief for his overloaded brain, or the satisfaction of seeing droplets of potion dripping off Snape's overly large nose. Ultimately, Harry decided that he really didn't care to die at seventeen.

Harry popped off the cork and downed the potion, pinching his nose, so that he wouldn't be able to taste the vile-tasting liquid.

Snape rolled his eyes. "If you are quite finished, Potter."

Harry made a face. "Ugh, yeah. Thanks for the potion; I feel better already," he admitted reluctantly.

"Yes well, don't make a habit of it, because I 'm warning you that if you are so foolish as to allow yourself to lose control and drink to excess in this way again, a hangover will be the least of your worries," Snape threatened ominously.

Harry bristled. "I'm an adult and I'm getting really tired of you treating me like a child," Harry replied angrily.

"Really?" Snape asked scornfully. "And you consider it mature, do you, to drink so excessively that you pass out, lose track of your wand, and drown your system with toxic poison," Snape inquired. "You are a wizard, a powerful wizard; a wizard who is at the mercy of Dark forces which you have little control over. Add alcohol to the mix, and you are placing yourself in serious jeopardy. You cannot afford to do something so foolish again. I will not allow you to," Snape said firmly.

Harry clenched his fists, until his knuckles turned white. "You gave up the right to tell me what to do a long time ago, Snape. When you rejected me as your son," Harry spat. Harry knew that Snape was right, but it just irritated the hell out of him when Snape tried to order him around constantly. Who the hell did he think he was, anyway?

Severus felt his heart twist painfully. He knew that Pot-Harry was right. He had not been there for him. He had never been there for him. He had failed the boy, as he had failed Lily. What right did he have to give his son advice, when he had made so many bad decisions in his life?

But on the other hand, this wasn't about the past. It wasn't about who was right. It was about helping his son get through this ordeal, and it was imperative that he remain strong, and keep focused. Severus' first priority had to be to do what was best for his son, regardless if his methods were unorthodox; regardless if his son hated him even more as a result. But on the other hand, if he were too forceful then Harry would rebel, and would fight Severus' efforts to help him. Severus had to strike a delicate balance between firm, and respectful of the fact that his son was not a child, but a young man; a young adult. But it was difficult to look at Harry, and accept this reality. The boy looked so young, and inexperienced.

Severus knew on one level, that Potter had managed to scrape by in many situations over the years. The blasted boy had placed himself in incredible danger throughout the years, and Albus had encouraged it. While Severus knew that Po-Harry, (damn, he just couldn't get used to calling the boy, Harry) was quite talented in Defence, even though Severus had refused to openly acknowledge it, he also knew that Harry was very vulnerable now.

It was actually dangerous for him to defend himself, lest he lose control and kill someone. Also, in the condition that Harry was in at the moment, he was incapable of differentiating between implied and real threat. He had a tendency to overreact, to take exception with every innocent word that might be uttered. Very much like he was doing now. Oh, Severus knew that he was being rather controlling with the boy, but Harry was not hearing Severus' message. He just didn't seem aware of the dangers that he was placing himself in.

"Po-Harry, I'm not going to stand here all day trying to convince you that it's in your best interest to do what I say. I'm not going to sugar-coat the truth, just so that you can fool yourself into thinking that you don't have a problem." Severus hardened his voice. "You keep saying that you're an adult now. You keep saying that you're no longer a child—well, act like an adult and realise that you have tried to do this on your own, and you were unsuccessful. Part of being an adult Ha-Harry, is acknowledging when you need help, placing your trust in someone who has more experience than you.”

Harry sighed wearily. "I understand that, but why do have to be so bloody bossy? Would it be so hard for you to say please or thank you once in awhile?"

Severus stared at the boy in disbelief. "If you think for one minute Potter, that I'm going to end every sentence with please and thank you, and other such ridiculous pleasantries, you are seriously mistaken. Now, enough of this nonsense. We are due to meet with Minerva, and I refuse to stand here and waste time arguing with you about etiquette," Severus said impatiently. He pointed towards the door. "Now move it," he ordered tersely.

Harry gritted his teeth and glared at Severus for a moment. "Bloody git," he muttered under his breath.

Severus lifted an eyebrow.. "What was that, Potter?" Severus demanded in a silky voice.

"Uh, nothing," Harry replied quickly.

----

Harry was elated when he walked into McGonagall's office and found Ron, Hermione and Ginny seated around McGonagall's desk. They jumped up when they noticed Harry and Severus at the door.

"Harry, I'm so glad to see you, mate," Ron said relieved.

"Oh Harry, please don't ever do that again," Hermione whispered. "We thought something had happened to you," she said anxiously.

Ginny quickly came over and hugged Harry. "I was so worried about you. Why did you take off like that?" she admonished lightly. She brushed his fringe aside, and kissed his forehead. "Anything could have happened."

Harry blushed at Ginny's fussing. "I'm sorry Ginny," Harry looked at her ashamedly. "I just haven't been myself."

Severus rolled his eyes. He had not agreed to have Potter's friends here for this meeting, but Minerva was convinced that the boy needed their help.

"If you two are quite finished," Severus snapped, “we have a lot to discuss, before breakfast commences, and classes begin."

Harry and Ginny glared at him. Harry took Ginny's hand and led her to the seat behind him.

"Now Minerva, would you like to begin, since it was your bright idea to surround me with Gryffindors," Snape said irritably.

Minerva chuckled. "Well, Severus, you'd had better get used to it because you've got a Gryffindor son."

Severus narrowed his eyes at her. "Well, I don't have to like it, do I?"

"No, I don't imagine that you do Severus," Minerva said amusedly.

"Now Harry," Minerva began in a business-like manner, "although we do have an idea what the problem is. That is.... your mood swings are most likely the result of the Dark Magic that saturated your magical core, while performing the ritual that you used to bring your father back from the Veil." Minerva paused in thought. "Residual magic, if you will," she explained.

"As I have already explained to you Ha-Harry, the level of Dark Magic that you've implemented was at such a high level," Severus said disapprovingly, "that the leftover magic, had no where to go after being used for the spell, so it was absorbed back into your system."

"So how do we get rid of it; get it out of my system?”

Minerva and Severus exchanged glances.

"I've been researching just that," Severus began slowly. "But so far I've not found a permanent solution."

Harry panicked. "What? You mean I have to stay this way?"

"Calm down, Potter," Severus hissed. "There are several exercises we can employ to keep the Dark Magic at bay, until we can find a more permanent solution. As well, as much as it pains me to even suggest it, perhaps learning Occlumency would strengthen your mind, and prevent the Dark Magic from further invading your thoughts, and controlling your mind."

"Occlumency?" Harry asked disbelievingly. "No way! I'm not studying Occlumency again. Especially not with you.”

Severus was incensed. What was wrong with the pig-headed boy? He was determined to fight Severus' efforts to help him, every step of the way. Severus tried to remember that Harry was not in his right mind at the moment, and couldn't possibly comprehend the extent of the danger he was in, so Severus attempted to temper his next snide remark, with a touch of patience...as much patience as a man such as Severus Snape could muster.

"Potter! Would you get your head out of your arse? You are being controlled by Dark Magic. Has that concept not penetrated that thick skull of yours?" Severus bellowed. "Either you want my help or not. It's about time you grew up, Potter, as I've had enough of your nonsense, I-"

Ginny jumped to Harry's defence. "You have a hell of a nerve Professor. You've made Harry's life hell, you made those Occlumency lessons a nightmare, and now you blame him? You-"

Ginny took a step backwards, because obviously she had gone too far, and the man looked as though he were about to murder her.

Severus' features were taut with anger. "And you Miss Weasley, have just earned yourself detention with me until the end of term, and fifty points from Gryffindor for your insolence."

Harry jumped up from his seat; his fists clenched furiously. "Leave her alone, Sna-"

Snape sent him a warning glare, and Harry who was beginning to learn just how far he could push Snape before he was risking life and limb; judged by the menacing stance, and the murderous glare on his father's face, that he should just shut up and sit down again.

"Fine, I'll learn Occlumency," Harry agreed reluctantly.

Minerva, who had been silent during the confrontation, finally found her voice. "Severus, breakfast is about to begin, and we've not resolved anything," she said irritably. She sent a pointed glare to them all, and motioned them towards their seats. "All of you sit back down, and let's see if we can come up with a plan so that Harry can attend classes without placing himself or others in danger; that is, if all of you can hold your temper for five minutes," she admonished sternly.

Severus drew a deep breath. Minerva was right, he thought ashamedly. It was as if he could not be in the same room as his son for five minutes, without losing his temper. How he was supposed to suppress the desire to throttle his son every time the boy blurted out a stupid comment, Severus didn't know, but he had to try.

Harry was tired and irritable and the day had only begun. He had made a promise to himself earlier that he would trust his father, and heed his advice, but it was harder than he had ever imagined. The man made him want to scream. With every order and biting insult that the man hurled at him, Harry wanted to throw a nasty hex at the greasy git. Well... if he had had his wand, that is.

Harry glared at this father. "Hey! How am I supposed to attend classes if I don't have a wand?"

Minerva intervened. This meeting was fast spiraling out of control, and they hadn’t even addressed the fine points of the plan to aid Harry in attending his classes, and ridding his system of Dark Magic.

"You will have your wand for classes Harry, and Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley will be there to help you should you begin to feel out of control. Miss Granger is in all of your classes, therefore she will be able to keep an eye on you and-" Harry took exception to the phrase "keep an eye on you", and at his glare, Minerva rephrased her wording. "Help you, should you feel the need arise," she corrected.

"Enough of this mollycoddling, Minerva," Severus retorted impatiently. "Stop trying to gloss over the truth." Severus fixed his cool black gaze on Harry. "You cannot be trusted to be alone right now. We've been through this before. Now...We will proceed like this for the time-being, making sure that Po-Harry is never alone, and supervised at all times."

Harry thought he knew the answer to this question, but asked it anyway. "Can I stay in the Tower with my friends?"

Severus lifted his eyebrow. "What do you think Potter?”

Harry sighed. "And just where will I be staying?" he inquired, again knowing the unwanted answer.

Severus glared at his son. Why the hell did the boy insist on asking such inane questions?

"How long do I have to stay with you?" Harry whined pitifully.

"Until you grow wings," Severus drawled sarcastically. "How the hell long do you think you idiot-boy?" he snapped.

Ginny bit her lip to refrain from slapping the man. She was in enough trouble as it was, and McGonagall's warning look to control her temper, had little effect on dampening her rising fury with this man. Poor Harry! Why did Snape of all people have to be his father? Why couldn't it have been someone calm and controlled? Someone who treated Harry with respect and patience.

That's the least that Harry deserved after all the pain he had suffered, wasn't it? Ginny knew though, that as much as she detested the man, that Snape was the only one who could truly help Harry, and as ill-tempered as the man was, when he promised to stand by Harry and find a way to rid Harry of the Dark Magic that had tainted his soul, then Ginny knew that at least he could be trusted to do so. He may be a git. He may be an arse hole, but Severus Snape never broke a promise, and was a strong, and powerful wizard. Also the man was well-versed in the intricacies of Dark Magic, and was very talented in Defence. Yes, Ginny held back her inclination to hex the man, and did so for Harry's sake.

"As well, I will continue to research how to reverse the effects of the Dark Magic," Severus continued thoughtfully. "Perhaps Miss Granger will agree to help in this quest."

All heads turned in shock at this unexpected request.

"Uh- of course sir. Anything I can do to help Harry," Hermione stuttered.

"Good. Now I think that we should terminate this meeting and proceed to the Great Hall for breakfast,” Severus concluded.

Ginny, took Harry's hand and began to lead him out the door.

"Oh, and Miss Weasley," Severus drawled.

Ginny swirled around.

"Don't forget your detention with me this evening. Potions classroom, directly after dinner," he said smugly.

Ginny gritted her teeth. What a git.

Ginny turned to leave again, clamping her lips shut; not quite trusting herself not tell the horrid man, where he could stuff it.

"Oh, and Miss Weasley, wear old clothes. You wouldn't want to ruin your good ones when you're dicing flobberworms, and disemboweling frogs.”

Ooh, Ginny gritted her teeth. How she hated this man.

"Oh, and Potter, I do believe that you still owe me a few detentions as well," Severus added.

Harry gaped at him. "Hey, I shouldn't be held responsible for my actions. I was under the influence of Dark Magic, don't forget," Harry said indignantly.

Severus narrowed his eyes at Harry. "So, you were. Very well then, Potter, I will suspend your detentions," he allowed. "However-" he narrowed his eyes, "-don't think I will accept that as an excuse in the future. You are on notice, Potter, that I expect you to be on time for class, keep a respectful face, keep up with your assignments, and allow your friends to keep you out of trouble. You have a certain responsibility here as well."

"Now be off, before I change my mind," he added maleovantly. "Oh, and Potter. You will return to my quarters before curfew, is that clear?"

"Yes sir," Harry agreed. Harry was quite anxious to be away from his father's continuous watch. It was becoming quite tiresome. Even if he knew that it was for his own good.

Ginny squeezed Harry's hand in a rather painful grip, and dragged him out the door.

Ron and Hermione looked over expectantly.

"We'll meet you in the Great Hall," Harry said, nodding to them.

Hermione looked hesitant. "It's okay, Hermione," Harry assured her. "Ginny will take good care of me." Harry winked.

"He'll be fine, Hermione." Ron sent a knowing look at her.

"But Professor Snape said we're to keep an eye on him at all times." She objected.

"I'm perfectly capable of watching over Harry," Ginny huffed.

Ron dragged a still reluctant Hermione off in the direction of the Great Hall.

----

Ginny looked at Harry regretfully. "I'm sorry, Harry. I know that he's your father and everything, but he makes me so angry," she huffed in exasperation.

"Hey don't hold back on my account," Harry assured her." It's not like he could win any father of the year awards. I know that."

"Let's stop talking about Snape, and start talking about us," Harry said teasingly.

For some strange reason, Harry felt suddenly light-hearted; he felt more in control than he had in days. Harry was reluctant to admit it, but he felt a certain amount of security now that Snape had taken charge. Harry wasn't sure why he felt safe; but he did. Even if his father was a git, Harry felt a certain amount of calm knowing that he wasn't alone in this. For once in his life, Harry felt that he had an adult who he could rely on. However strange it was, Harry knew that Snape wouldn't let him down; Snape wouldn't relent until he found a solution to this problem Despite all of the past animosity between them, Harry sensed that Snape, in his own twisted way, was trying to make up for past mistakes, and was attempting to forge a relationship with Harry; albeit a dysfunctional one!

Harry grabbed Ginny and kissed her hungrily. "You know, Ginny, I've already eaten, I'm not really very hungry. Well, at least not for food," he added playfully.

"Harry," Ginny looked mildly shocked. "We've got classes!"

"Aw, you're no fun," he joked. "Maybe after classes?" He played with a lock of her silky hair.

"I've got detention with your dear father, remember?"

"Oh, yeah," Harry replied guiltily. "I'm sorry about that Gin. I know that you were just trying to defend me."

"Aw, it's ok Harry. I guess I really shouldn't have spoken to a professor like that, and I've never done it before, but I just can't get past the way that he's treated you all these years. And he acts so high and mighty now, like he just has the right to order you around, and you're supposed to obey his every command," she fumed.

"Ginny, it's fine. It really is," Harry consoled her. "I appreciate you defending me, but as much of a wanker as Snape can be at times, he was there for me when I needed him. He found me at Grimauld Place ... ok so he threw me over his shoulder like a bloody sack of potatoes, but he gave me coffee and potions to sober me up; never mind that the git threw me in an ice-cold shower, oh and took my wand away, so I wouldn't harm myself, or anyone else. Speaking of wands, who has mine? Hey he didn't give me my wand back," Harry realised suddenly. "How the hell am I supposed to go to class without a wand, you bloody, sodding ugly bat? “Oh... and he promised that he would protect me and stand by my side. But then again, he also threatened to put me in a full body-bind. But he's taking the time to research this Dark Magic thing so I can get better, and-"

"Whoa, Harry, slow down. What on earth are you going on about?" Ginny stared at him in confusion. "First of all, what do you mean, he sobered you up?" She narrowed her eyes at him accusingly.

"Uh well...I got kinda got plastered at Grimmauld Place," Harry admitted sheepishly. "I was depressed, and scared of what was happening to me. I sorta passed out, lost track of my wand, and then Snape showed up. He was really furious that I got so drunk."

"No offence, but I actually don't blame him, Harry," Ginny said disapprovingly. "It really isn't safe for you to more out of control of your actions, than you already are," she said sternly.

"I know. That's what Snape said too. Believe it or not Ginny, but he actually looked worried about me." At Ginny's disbelieving look, Harry took her hands in his. "I know that he was a git to you just now Ginny, but I trust him. I know that he's going to find a solution to this mess. I mean if he really didn't give a damn, why would he be taking the time to research this Dark Magic, and let me stay in his quarters? I mean Snape is a man who values his privacy. He can't really enjoy having me there underfoot," Harry said with conviction.

It suddenly occurred to Harry that he was actually defending Snape. He, Harry Potter was taking Snape's side; defending him staunchly to his girlfriend, and believing with all his heart, everything that he was saying.

"I suppose you're right," Ginny admitted reluctantly. "Don't get me wrong. I am glad that you have someone now, Harry, and I hope that you're right about him You'd better be right about him. Cause if he hurts you, I'm gonna box his ears."

Harry chuckled. It felt good to laugh. Like a release. Then a wave of fear washed over him. He knew that this euphoria was only temporary. It was only a matter of time before his mind was haunted with Dark thoughts once more. Harry did believe what he had told Ginny. He did trust Snape, but there was that little niggle of worry, at the back of his mind, that trusting Snape wouldn't be enough. That this Dark Magic would continue to grow and fester, until he had lost his soul or his mind; whichever came first.

Harry tried to push his negative thoughts to the back of his mind. He knew that these insecurities were all part of the Dark Magic that was invading his mind, and attempting to force him to doubt himself, and believe that everyone was against him. Harry knew that that wasn't true. No, he had his friends, he had his girlfriend, and McGonagall. Most of all though, he had a father now.

Snape might not be concerned about Harry's feelings, but it was beginning to be obvious, at least to Harry, that Snape cared about his welfare. Oh, the man would never admit it, of course, but in his gruff, nasty way, it was plain to see. It might not be clear to anyone else, but Harry had learnt through all the neglect and abuse he had suffered at the hands of the Dursleys, to recognize small gestures of kindness or caring. Although no one would ever accuse Snape of being kind, Harry could see that the man was genuinely trying to make an effort. Of course with Snape acting like a git to everyone, it was a hard to convince anyone else.

"C'mon Gin, you'd better go eat breakfast, and I've got potions right away with Snape--first period." Despite his somewhat positive outlook on the future, it did still seem like there were many obstacles to overcome before he was himself again. Suddenly depression overwhelmed him once more, and as much as Harry attempted to put on a brave face for Ginny, she immediately sensed the sudden shift in Harry's mood.

Ginny squeezed his hand. "It'll be alright Harry, you'll see," she said gently.

"Yeah, I know," Harry said with a confidence that he didn't feel.

----

After breakfast, Hermione and Harry made their way to Potions reluctantly. Hermione yanked Harry back before they stepped through the door.

"Your wand," she whispered, and handed it to him discreetly. Harry put it in his robe pocket, feeling decidedly more secure.

As they were about to enter the classroom, Draco came barreling around the corner, and shoved hard into Harry, almost knocking him over.

Fury rose up in Harry, as quickly and as dangerously as lava flowing from a volcano. Without a thought to the consequences, Harry whipped his wand out of his pocket, and would have hexed Malfoy, weren't it for Hermione's quick thinking.

"Harry!" Hermione said in horror, while firmly restraining Harry's arm.

Harry immediately snapped out of his trance. He still felt an enormous desire to curse the prat though, and with his control hanging by a thread, if it hadn't been for Hermione, Harry would have done so.

"Is there a problem here?" Snape's deep voice interrupted.

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. This was going to be a lot harder than she had envisioned. Once the Dark Magic had completely taken control of Harry, it was a difficult feat to pull Harry out of it.

"Yes, and he's right there," Harry ground out, pointing an accusing finger towards Malfoy. "He shoved into me on purpose."

"Is that so, Mr. Malfoy?" Severus inquired smoothly.

Draco glared at Harry. "Of course not sir, I simply lost my balance and knocked into Potter by accident."

"That's bull and you know it Malfoy," Harry said furiously.

"That's enough, both of you," Snape snapped. "Take your seats, or you'll both be serving detention with me this evening."

When Harry remained in the doorway, itching to curse the smug look off Malfoy's face, Snape snapped out, "Now!" He grabbed Harry's arm firmly and none-too-gently yanked him into the classroom.

Severus was seriously beginning to question his judgement in allowing Harry to attend classes. It didn't appear that the boy was able to maintain periods of lucidity longer than an hour. How the hell were they going to figure out how to reverse the effects of the Dark Magic?

Now...Severus knew that he was quite knowledgeable in the Dark Arts, and prided himself as being an expert in Defence. It was not a matter of ego either; it was simply fact. However, Severus began to have doubts about his ability to solve his son's problem alone. Perhaps it was time to admit that he needed help. Definitely not something that Severus Snape enjoyed doing. He was used to knowing what to do, and how to do it. But right now, Severus felt completely at a loss as to how to proceed.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693