An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158615 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Sudden Clarity by Pandora
Author's Notes:
As usual, all characters and Harry Potter universe belong to J.K. Rowling.

Many thanks to my beta ObsidianEmbrace (A.K.A., EDQ, A.K.A., Tabby, A.K.A., Pokey) who still managed to proofread my story, despite being sore from all the pokes she endured as a result of her slow progress on her last chapter. But of course, it was worth the wait!

“Oh crap, it's past curfew. Snape's going to kill me,” Harry groaned, as he jumped up off the couch in the Gryffindor common room, where he had been cuddling up with Ginny. “I'd better run,” he said, giving Ginny a quick peck on her lips.

“Uh Harry, don't you think you're forgetting one minor detail?” Ginny called him back. “You need one of us to escort you down to Snape's quarters.”

“Oh right.” Harry smirked at Ginny. “I'd ask you to come with me, but I'm afraid you might hex my father.”

“You're father is not at the top of my list of favourite people right now,” she growled. Ginny spread her fingers in front of her. “I think I broke a fingernail.”

“Hey, you got off easy Gin,” Harry pointed out. “He kept me past curfew in my first few detentions, and you don't want to know the things that he made me do!” Harry shuddered at the memory.

“Yeah, well at least you got off the rest of your detentions,” she complained.

Harry scoffed. “So what! I have to live with the man!”

“Ok, you win,” Ginny laughed.

“Yeah, it'll be like having a never-ending detention,” Harry groaned. “You should have seen him in class today. He was on my arse the whole time. I thought maybe that since everyone knows that I'm his son, that maybe he'd back off a bit, but no,” he ground out, “if anything he's even worse! Nothing I do is ever good enough for the git. He nitpicks at every bloody thing I do,” Harry said bitterly.

Ginny looked at him thoughtfully. “You know Harry... strangely enough--Snape is acting like a lot of parents do. My mom is constantly after me too.” She rolled her eyes. ”My grades are never good enough, I need to act like a lady,” she spit the word out distastefully. “Those clothes make you look like a tart.” Ginny huffed. “It never ends,” she groused. She lifted the corners of her mouth teasingly. “The only thing she approves of, by the way,” Ginny wrapped her arms around him, “is dating you.”

“Well, your mom has good taste,” Harry chuckled.

“Harry!” A shrill voice interrupted their banter. Hermione pursed her lips disapprovingly at Harry and Ginny. “What on earth are you still doing here?” Hermione admonished him. “Snape is going to be furious with you and with us too.” She worried her lip.”It's well past curfew.”

“Calm down Hermione, it's not that much past curfew,” Harry rolled his eyes. His friend always had a tendency to over exaggerate things. Honestly! The girl was going to give herself an ulcer, if she didn't quit worrying.

“Harry!” Hermione stomped her foot impatiently. “It's already a half-hour past curfew, and by the time you get to the dungeons it will be forty-five minutes past,” she huffed. “May I remind you that your father is the same man who took fifty points off Gryffindor, and threw us out of his classroom, just for being fifteen minutes late,” she lectured.

Harry rolled his eyes at her melodramatic speech. “Hermione, that was different. He was still quite upset with me for bringing him back from the Veil. He might be mad, but it's not like he's going to kick me out of his quarters or anything,” he pointed out reasonably.

“Nevertheless,” she said primly, “I think that you're fooling yourself if you don't think that he's going to be seriously pissed off that you've missed curfew.” She turned to Ginny. “Give me Harry's wand please.” She held out her hand, and glared at Harry. “I'll walk him down to the dungeons.” She frowned. “And hope that Snape doesn't flay me alive for bringing him back late.”

Harry sighed. “Relax Hermione. Trust me; Snape knows damned well that I'm at fault, not you. You're not my bloody keeper and neither is he.”

Hermione gave up. It was pointless trying to argue that maybe Snape was trying his best here to accommodate Harry, and he was not being so unreasonable as to expect Harry to be back to his quarters before curfew. If Harry was staying in the Tower, he'd be expected to return to the Common Room before curfew; why would he believe that because he was staying with Snape, he would receive special privileges? But when it came to Snape, Harry had tunnel-vision. Of course, considering the treatment that Snape had doled out for the past six and a half years, she supposed that she couldn't blame Harry for always seeing the worst in the man, even when he was genuinely trying to make an effort.

Harry's wand in hand, Hermione grabbed his arm and tugged on it.

“Just a second,” Harry said, annoyed. He gave Ginny another quick kiss, and looked at her helplessly as Hermione yanked his arm hard, and tried to drag him out the door.

“Honestly Harry, you are just asking for trouble,” Hermione grumbled. Now it will look as though I'm irresponsible too, Hermione worried to herself.

Harry rolled his eyes at her. “Will you relax? I'm not that late, and if Snape's mad... it’s gonna be at me, not you.”

Hermione was skeptical. “I think that you're wrong. I think that he's going to be really irritated with me, and furious with you.”

Harry knew that she was right and was beginning to regret having been so nonchalant about following Snape's orders. He was dreading returning to his quarters now.

“Well, what's the worst he can do anyway? Assign another detention? Take away points? Story of my life,” Harry said bitterly.

Hermione gave Harry an exasperated look. “Harry, you really must take this seriously. I know that Snape has made a lot of mistakes in the past, and he's not the easiest person to get along with, but he is trying to make an effort to help and protect you, and you're treating the whole thing like it's just a game,” she pointed out crossly.

Harry hung his head ashamedly. “You're right Hermione, and I know that he's been making an effort; I really do. I should have been more careful about being back by curfew,” he said sheepishly. He looked at her worriedly. “What do you think he'll do to me?”

Hex you of course!” Ginny interjected sarcastically.

At Harry's horrified look, Ginny smiled. “Relax, I'm sure that Snape will only take about a million points off Gryffindor, and assign you a long detention while performing the most gruesome tasks.”

“Oh, that makes me feel so much better.”

Honestly! Hermione thought incredulously. How could these two have such a cavalier attitude over such a serious situation?

Hermione glared at them both. “Harry!” She pointed at the door angrily. “Out... Now!”

----

Harry and Hermione came to a halt in front of the door to Snape's quarters, and before they could knock, it was flung open by a very irate-looking Snape.

Harry gulped. Ooh...this was a bad idea. Yup... a very bad idea.

Severus pointed a long finger. “In,” he hissed.

“Just let me explain-” Harry began.

“I don't care to hear your explanations,” Snape growled. “Get in...Now!”

Harry slid by him, looking back anxiously. He really didn't want Snape to lay into Hermione, for something that was his fault.

“Sir,” Hermione began nervously. “I-”

“Hand me Mr. Potter's wand, Miss Granger,” Snape said in a dangerously calm voice.

Uh... yes of course sir,” Hermione stammered, as she handed Snape the wand with shaking hands.

Hermione looked up at him expectantly. Was he not going to give her hell...or yell at her?

“Just a moment, Miss Granger,” Snape said curtly, when Hermione turned to leave. He retrieved a parchment and quill, scribbled something on it, and handed it to her.

“Sir?” Hermione looked up in confusion.

“Since my errant son,” Snape turned back to glare at Harry, “has placed you in the position of wandering the halls alone after curfew, I think that it's prudent for you to have a note from me, should you be stopped by another professor.”

Hermione’s eyes widened in surprise. “Thank you, sir. I'm sorry that Harry's late. I promise it won't happen again,” she promised fervently.

Snape's features hardened. “No, it won't,” he said ominously.

“Uh... goodnight Harry...sir.” Hermione bit her lip. The man looked seriously pissed off and she was rather reluctant to leave Harry alone with him.

Snape nodded and then slammed the door in her face.

Well, that settles that. Hermione looked back at the closed door and wondered with trepidation how her friend would fare.

--

Harry instinctively took a step backwards when, after slamming the door, Severus turned around to fix Harry with his cold black eyes.

“Twenty-five points from Gryffindor,” Severus began in a voice taut with anger. “And you are confined to my quarters tomorrow night. Obviously you can't be trusted to respect curfew. And the next time you are late, you will be forbidden to visit the Tower for a week,” he threatened.

Harry would have protested, but judging by the ill-concealed fury emanating from the man, Harry figured he'd better not test the man's patience again tonight. Harry would have rather got a detention, and then at least he'd still be able to see Ginny when she was serving her detention; even if they were performing some disgusting task while doing so.

Severus was rather surprised that Potter didn't protest his punishment. The boy probably wisely decided that he was getting off rather easy, and had better not further aggravate Severus' waning patience tonight. Honestly, he wanted to throttle the boy. How is it that one small, messy-haired teenager could cause him to lose the iron-clad control that he had always had on his emotions? There had never been anyone who so tested his resolve, as much as the boy standing before him.

“Did you at least manage to complete any of your homework this evening, or did your little girlfriend occupy all of your attention,” Snape asked snidely.

Harry was not Snape's son for nothing. His nostrils flared, and eyes flashed in anger. “That's none of your bloody business Sn-”

Snape took a step forward.

Harry put his arms up in the air. “I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'll do my homework now,” he offered reluctantly.

“As it's almost midnight, you will catch up on your homework tomorrow night. Perhaps without any distractions,” Snape sneered, “you might accomplish something.”

Harry glared at him.

Severus pointed towards the couch. “Now get to bed. You have classes tomorrow, and I’ll not be pleased if you can't get out of bed in the morning.”

“Fine,” Harry yawned. It was late, and while Snape's potions had cleared up the worst symptoms of his over-consumption of alcohol, his body was still weary from the abuse that he'd subjected it to.

Harry went to the loo to wash up and change into his pyjamas. When he came out of the bathroom, Snape had once again made up the couch for him to sleep on, and was extinguishing the lanterns.

Severus looked up as Harry came out of the bathroom. His heart lurched with that strange emotion again, that he couldn't quite pinpoint. Harry looked so much younger than his seventeen years, standing there barefoot in his baggy pyjamas, and mussed-up hair...he looked about thirteen. Severus was hit with a pang of regret of having missed seeing his son grow up. Severus pretended to be straightening up, but couldn't help once again glancing over as Harry took his glasses off, placed them by the night side table, and climbed onto the couch, pulling the covers up. Severus was struck again by the thought that without those damned glasses he didn't look at all like a Potter. Severus swallowed the lump in his throat. He would never get to read his son bedtime stories...tuck him in. He hadn't seen him take his first step, or speak his first words. Damn you Lily...Albus. Damn me too, for putting them in the position that they felt the need to protect my son from me.

“Goodnight, sir,” Harry mumbled sleepily.

“Goodnight Harry,” Severus whispered.

Severus was thankful that Harry was almost asleep, and wouldn't notice how fragile his emotions were at the moment. Severus missed Lily with all his heart. He'd never stopped loving her, as much as he'd tried to convince himself otherwise. He knew now, that Potter was really her second choice, but it didn't erase the pain and regret he experienced, every time he thought about the mess he'd made of his life. The mistakes, and there were many, haunted him day in and day out. It was his fault that he'd lost Lily, his fault that he missed out on seeing his son grow up. Worst of all, it was his fault that Lily was dead. How could he ever forgive himself? How could his son ever forgive him? Severus was responsible for Harry having grown up without a mother...without a father.

Yes... it was damned lucky that his son was asleep right now, because surely Harry would call Severus a hypocrite for the lecture that he had delivered to the boy only the night before, when Severus himself proceeded to drown his troubles in fire whiskey, and staggered drunk to his bed, several hours later.

----

Harry noticed the next morning that his father was even more irritable than usual and his eyes were shadowed with dark circles. His face was drawn, and his obsidian eyes were in stark contrast to his milky-white complexion.

“Let's go Potter,” Severus snapped. “We haven't got all day.”

“I'm coming, I'm coming, don't get your knickers in a twist,” Harry grumbled.

Severus spun around angrily, eyes flashing. “What did you just say to me?”

Harry licked his lips nervously. “Uh…nothing. I was just joking.”

“In case you haven't noticed, Potter, I'm not exactly in the mood for joking,” he growled.

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled.

Harry glanced up to see Snape staring at him with the same unreadable expression, that he had caught him at several times this morning. When Harry would catch him, Snape would suddenly scowl and turn away. What the hell was going through his father's mind? And why was his father studying him when he thought Harry wasn't looking? Harry shivered.

He hadn't had another episode since he'd been brought to Snape's quarters except for the brief incident with Draco, and Harry couldn't help worry that maybe that was why Snape was examining him so closely. Maybe he expected Harry to explode at any minute. Harry shook these negative thoughts away, and finished straightening his robes.

“Are you quite finished primping?”

Harry gritted his teeth. The man was so frustrating. Snape had proven that he had a heart under that layer of prickly thorns, by housing Harry, taking care of him, and protecting him. Harry had even caught Snape with an ever-so-brief look of worry on his face, but in the next moment, he could cut you down to size with his biting insults.

Harry felt a pang of regret that he had never known the man that his mother had; the man who was capable of deep love and caring. Was there a chance at all, after all these years, that Snape would ever truly care about him as much as he had Harry's mum? Harry wished desperately that things had been different. That he had grown up knowing his father. Would Snape have been a different man today, if not for circumstance? Would he still be the same bitter, cruel man, incapable of showing emotion? Harry knew in his heart that his father would be a different man today, basking in his mother's love. Maybe he would still be cool and reserved, but he wouldn't be bitter, and vengeful; Harry was certain of it.

----

“You look like you're still in one piece,” Ron sniggered.

“Sod off,” Harry replied, playfully smacking him on the shoulder.

It was quite hilarious really, Harry thought, how Ginny and Hermione looked relieved to see that he was unscathed. Honestly…did they really believe that Snape was so evil, that he would actually hex his own son?

Ginny smirked at Harry. “So--what did the old bat do to you? Give you detention?” she asked mischievously. “Maybe we can hold hands while we gut frogs,” she added with a sparkle in her eyes.

Harry squirmed. He really didn't want to tell Ginny that he wouldn't be able to see her tonight. “I didn't get detention, Gin.”

Ginny's eyes widened in surprise. “You didn't? You mean Snape let you off?” she asked incredulously.

Hermione and Ron exchanged shocked glances.

Harry fidgeted. “Uh...not exactly,” he hedged.

Ginny scrunched her face in confusion. “Well, what then?”

Harry sighed. “Well, uh...I can't see you guys tonight.” Damn, he felt like an idiot; he was an adult now for goodness sake, and he felt like a little kid whose dad had grounded him.

Ron chuckled. “Why? Did Snape ground you or something?”

“Sod off,” Harry exclaimed angrily, as he slammed his glass of pumpkin juice down hard on the table, sending it spraying in all directions. He stood up suddenly, and knocked his chair violently backwards, hitting a seventh year Slytherin behind him.

“Watch it, Potter,” said the angry Slytherin as he stood up and loomed menacingly over Harry.

Harry didn't quite care at that moment if the Slytherin was built like a rugby player; with shoulders a mile wide, and was at least a foot taller than Harry. He wasn't coherent enough at the moment to consider the consequences of his actions. Harry gave the boy a hard shove in the chest and the Slytherin was taken off guard. He lost his balance, and was sent crashing backwards into the table behind him.

Harry didn't have time to escape before the red-faced Slytherin recovered, and grabbed Harry by the collar lifting him up on his toes.

The last thing Harry remembered before passing out from the blinding pain, was a meaty fist making contact with his nose.

“Harry!” Ginny went rushing to his side. “You big bully!” She glared at the Slytherin

“Hey, you're kind of cute. Why don't you dump that little twerp, and date a real man,” he smirked.

“A real man?” she retorted; her face flushed. “You think you're a real man?” Ginny marched over to him, and poked his chest with her finger. “He is ten times the man that you are,” she said through gritted teeth. Oh lord he's big, she thought, when his face turned purple.

Suddenly, the Slytherin's face transformed from a deep shade of mauve to chalky-white.

Pro-fe-ss-sor Sna-a-pe,” the boy stammered nervously

Severus had swept over silently, and now stood with his arms crossed menacingly, pinning the quaking boy with a deadly glare.

“Is he conscious, Miss Weasley?” Severus demanded in a dangerously calm voice

Severus could barely contain his anger. He had witnessed the whole episode from the Head table, and saw that Potter was about to do something foolish and Severus was hoping to diffuse the situation, before it could escalate. Severus wasn't prepared though for the fury that washed over him when Adams had punched Potter. He wanted nothing more than to rip the Slytherin's throat out. Severus suppressed the temptation, as he had no wish to end up in Azkaban.

“Just barely,” she said, glaring at the Slytherin.

“Ginny?” Harry asked groggily. “W-wh-at happened?” Harry tried to lift his head, but the throbbing in his head intensified, and he felt as though his nose was on fire.

Severus laid a hand on Harry's shoulder, gently preventing him from rising further. “Don't get up, Potter. You most likely have a concussion from hitting your head on the floor.”

“Severus,” Minerva asked breathlessly as she came rushing over, “is Harry alright?” Her face was lined with worry

“I need to have Poppy examine him. I believe that he might have a concussion, as well as a broken nose,” he answered, directing his cold, dark eyes toward the squirming Slytherin.

“You bring him to Poppy, Severus. I'll handle Mr. Adams here,” she assured him.

Severus nodded. “Thank you Minerva. I'd like a few words with Mr. Adams first, however,” Severus replied menacingly.

Severus turned his attention to the nervous Slytherin. “Mr. Adams, if you ever again, lay a finger on my son,” he hissed vehemently, “you will regret it.”

Ginny, Hermione and Ron stared in shock at the irate Potions Master. The man was apoplectic, and they did not envy the target of his ire. What was more shocking was the fact that the man was livid because one of his Slytherins had hit Harry. Harry Potter! The same boy that the man had tormented for the past six years. The same man who just a few days prior, had rejected his son, and continued to treat him harshly.

Severus moved in a little closer, until his face was within inches of the trembling boy. “Do I make myself clear?”

The boy's eyes widened in fear. His Head of House was known for his volatile temper; not a man to be trifled with. He had never before, however, directed that temper towards one of his own house. And, definitely not to defend a Gryffindor!

Yes—si-sir,” the boy whispered.

“After the Headmistress issues your punishment, Mr. Adams, rest assured that I will be adding onto it,” Severus promised darkly.

“My office. Now Mr. Adams,” Minerva ordered harshly.

The boy lowered his eyes and obeyed the Headmistress, following her with his head down in embarrassment.

Severus turned his attention to Harry. His pale face was marred with caked blood around his swollen nose, and dark shadows under his eyes. “Potter?” Severus shook the boy lightly. Harry groaned in pain, and stared at Severus with glazed eyes.

Severus wasn't quite certain if the boy was even aware of Severus' presence. He didn't seem to be fully conscious. Severus brushed aside Harry's fringe, just as the boy's eyelids fluttered, then closed. He was unconscious. Severus' stomach churched with anxiety, and he felt a flutter of fear.

“It's going to be alright, Potter. Poppy will take care of you,” he assured the unconscious boy gently.

It was surreal, Ginny thought. Severus Snape stroking Harry Potter's hair, and whispering gentle assurances that he would take care of him. She shook her head. She glanced at Hermione and Ron, and knew by the dazed expressions on their faces that they were thinking the same thing.

Suddenly the man became brusque once more. He ordered the students who had congregated around Harry, gawking and staring at him, to move on to their classes. Actually, he bellowed at them; sending the scared students scattering in all directions, to avoid the volatile Potions Master's wrath. The first years looked as though they were going to wet their trousers!

Since Severus' class was the first period for Hermione, he allowed her to accompany him with Harry to the infirmary, and ordered Ginny and Ron on to their classes. Of course Ginny protested vehemently, but Severus was firm, and she glared at him mutinously, before turning on her heel, and stomping off to class. Ron had wanted to stay as well, but had a better sense of self-preservation than his sister, and reluctantly obeyed the still-furious looking Snape, and went off to class as well.

--

Severus gently levitated Harry onto the nearest bed. Poppy rushed over as soon as she saw Harry, and immediately began fussing over him.

Oh my ...what happened to him this time,” she asked, horrified when she saw his bloody, swollen nose.

“He picked a fight with a brick wall with legs, who introduced Harry to his fist,” Severus spit out. “He also fell backwards and smashed his head.”

Poppy performed a few diagnostic spells, and confirmed what Severus had already suspected. “He has a broken septum, and a severe concussion.”

“Is he going to be alright?” Hermione asked anxiously.

“He'll be fine Miss Granger, but we'll keep him here a couple of days to be certain.” She turned her attention to Severus. “Severus, I'll give Mr. Potter a dose of painkilling potion, and attempt to heal his nose, but I'm concerned that he's not regained consciousness,” she said anxiously. “It could be a sign of swelling in the brain. I have some potions to reduce the swelling, but they are not usually very effective,” she said worriedly.

“I'll see what I have in my personal stores. I have recently perfected a new formulation that has had encouraging results with brain injury patients at St. Mungo’s. Some of the patients that have regained consciousness had been in a coma for more than a year,” he assured her.

Severus turned his attention to Hermione. “Miss Granger, you will stay with Mr. Potter, while I check?”

“Of course, sir, but-” Hermione looked pleadingly at Severus. “-uh, Ginny and Ron should be here as well; Harry would want them here. Besides--I doubt whether they will get much work done anyhow. Please, could…” Hermione trailed off when she saw Severus' hard stare. What was the point in pleading with the cold man anyways?”

Severus stared at her for several more seconds. “Very well Miss Granger,” he finally said.

Hermione's eyes widened in surprise. She had not expected him to agree. Frankly, Snape was full of surprises today. He had reacted every bit the protective father today when faced with Harry's aggressor. Not that Hermione hadn't seen the man furious before, but this was different; it was difficult to explain. He had been outraged that someone had dared hurt Harry; his son. Snape had not been successful at hiding his worry over Harry's condition, either. She had not believed the man capable of such outward emotion. Hermione never thought that she would believe that Harry was lucky to have Snape as a father, but she had seen a side of Severus Snape today that she was certain that few had ever witnessed. Perhaps Harry's ill-advised plan to bring Snape back from the Veil, hadn't been such a mistake after all.

“I will inform their professors that they have permission to leave class,” Severus glanced at Poppy, “I'll be back shortly.”

“I've spelled some pain-relief potions directly into his stomach, to make him more comfortable, and mended his septum as best I could. The rest will have to heal the Muggle way. It would be too dangerous to ply him with too many potions while he remains unconscious,” She explained.

Severus nodded, and swept out of the hospital wing, leaving behind a gob smacked Hermione.

----

Draco moved aside quickly, so as not to be pancaked by the slamming door. He scowled as he watched Severus hurry off to the dungeons.

Draco, once again, had been eavesdropping at the doors to the hospital, and was enraged at what he had heard. When he had seen Potter receive a well-deserved beating, he had rejoiced. When he had seen Severus take Potter's side against a Slytherin, however, Draco was livid. What the hell had gone wrong with his plan? As far as he was concerned, it had been foolproof. Potter and Severus had never gotten along, and Draco had been certain that nothing would have changed that. Even the discovery of their newfound relationship.

In fact, everything pointed to business as usual. Severus didn't seem to show any favourtism towards Potter in class; he didn’t show nearly as much favourtism towards his own house as he had in the past, either. In fact, Severus seemed just as hard on Potter as usual; it hadn't seemed as though their relationship had changed anything. So why did Severus suddenly seem worried sick about the little snot just now, and why did he look as though he had wanted to use Adams as a potion's ingredient?

Then there was Potter's strange behaviour of late. Potter had always seemed annoyingly noble in the past. The only time he had ever lost his temper, in fact, was to defend someone he had believed to be in danger or persecuted by another. It was quite nauseating to see Potter over the years rush to defend every whipped puppy he came upon. Lately, Potter seemed different though. It seemed to Draco that Potter's temper was hanging by a thread, and it took little to provoke it. After all, the idiot had been stupid enough to pick a fight with the biggest student at Hogwarts. Draco had thought that even the simple-minded Potter had more brains than that!

Damn, I just know that there's more to this than meets the eye, Draco thought to himself. Potter's mood swings; his friends sticking to him like glue. What was more, Draco discovered that Potter wasn't staying in Gryffindor Tower either. He'd bet any money that he was staying with Severus, but why? What the hell were they all hiding? Maybe a little more digging was in order, and a little more eavesdropping. I'm not finished with you yet, Potter, Draco fumed inwardly.

-----

Severus hurried to his lab, retrieved several phials of potions, including the one he hoped would snap Potter back to consciousness, and took a deep breath to calm his frazzled nerves. Was this what it was like to be a father? He wasn't quite certain that he liked the feeling of constant worry, and sense of heavy responsibility that came along with it. His son was seventeen for goodness sake, a young man, and still Severus felt this overwhelming protectiveness and fear. Merlin knows how he would have handled the role years ago, when Potter was younger, and constantly placing himself in danger.

Of course, Severus told himself that he would never have tolerated that sort of behaviour had he known that he was the boy's father. Certainly, he would never have given his permission for his son to compete in the Triwizard Tournament, had he had the power to veto it. He had always believed that the Headmaster could have put a stop to that nonsense. Imagine placing a fourteen-year-old child in such danger. Even when he had hated the boy, he had been incensed that Dumbledore had not protected him better, and had instead, encouraged the child to risk his life at every turn. Even when Severus had discovered the relationship between the two of them, he had not been allowed to acknowledge the boy, nor had he been allowed the authority to prevent Potter from rushing headlong into danger at every turn.

Now the boy was a man, and Severus wanted desperately to turn back time and recapture every moment he had missed with his son. While that was not possible, Severus made a vow to himself, that if Potter...when Potter, Severus corrected himself, regained consciousness, that he would not let the boy out of his sight; if only to protect him from himself. His first priority would be to find a way to reverse the effects of the Dark Magic. Severus was struck with an ominous thought. What if Potter's condition were made more fragile by the fact that his mind was being controlled by Dark forces? If that were the case, then he needed to find a way to revive Potter quickly; before the damage was too severe.

First he had to attend to Potter's condition. After that, Severus decided that he would pay Dumbledore's portrait a visit, and see if the Headmaster had any insight on Potter's problem.

----

Ginny turned the corner, and in her haste to see Harry, she bumped into Ron coming from the other direction, who, likewise, was walking at a brisk pace, and not paying attention to where he was going. Had Harry's condition not been so serious, they might have had a good laugh at the hilarity of the situation. They rubbed their tender foreheads and exchanged surprised looks.

Ginny raised her eyebrows. “Snape let you out of class as well?” She asked incredulously.

Ron nodded his head. “Yeah, who would have thought that Snape had a heart!”

Ginny looked thoughtful. “I'm beginning to wonder if someone's confunded the man. He certainly isn't acting like himself.”

Ron and Ginny didn't waste any more time analyzing the behaviour of their Professor. They were too concerned about Harry's condition, to ponder further.

Brother and sister were quite surprised however, to find the Professor sitting by Harry's bed, a look of grave concern upon his harsh features. Hermione was vacillating between worry over Harry and utter shock at how much concern the normally, cold, reserved man before her, was exhibiting towards Harry.

Poppy was once again performing diagnostic spells, after having administered Severus' potions. She sighed, “There is a slight improvement Severus, but his heart rate is still erratic.”

“That is normal Poppy. It takes a little time to show improvement; time will tell how effective the treatment will be,” he assured her. “However, if he's showing improvement already; however slight, then that is a positive sign,” he added confidently.

Inwardly however, Severus was far from feeling confident. He worried about the influence the Dark Magic was having on Potter's swelled brain, and he would certainly feel better once the boy regained consciousness. Severus knew that Potter had fallen hard on the ancient stone floor of the castle, but should the concussion be so grave? Severus had examined the wound himself, before Poppy had healed it, and there had been a nasty, deep cut on the back of his head. The region surrounding the cut was extremely swollen as well; yes Severus supposed it was possible for Potter to have sustained some swelling in the area that protects the brain. Severus assured himself again, that his potion had had amazing results in the past, and would revive his son as well.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693