An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158637 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
One Step Forward...Two Backwards by Pandora
Author's Notes:
All Characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

Many thanks, as usual, to my beta ObsidianEmbrace for her invaluable help and support.

Horace sputtered on his hot tea, scorching the roof of his mouth with the scalding liquid.  Severus Snape was not known for practical jokes. He wasn't one to spin unlikely tales, so why on earth was the man spewing such ridiculous nonsense? The Saviour of the Light had used a Horcrux to bring his estranged father back from the Veil? Pobbycock! Ridiculous! Never in a million years.

However, the serious expression etched on Severus' harsh features, told Horace otherwise. It couldn't possibly be. Oh Merlin...the man was speaking the truth! The colour drained from Horace's face.

Horace stared with unseeing eyes at the two wizards before him. He took a deep breath and tried to still his shattered nerves. The last time he had dealt with the issue of Horcruxes had been when Tom Riddle had tricked him into revealing the finer points of creating one. He had only realised his grave error, when Dumbledore had revealed how Tom had splintered his soul numerous times through acts of immense cruelty and murderous intent.

Severus' milky-white pallor accentuated the fine lines of worry and anxiety on his already-harsh features, givng him the aura of a man on the edge of losing control. Horace knew that it was unheard of for Severus to loosen his grip on his iron-clad emotions. With a pang of regret, Horace reflected that Severus had not always been so apparantly devoid of empathy and human emotion. Severus had been a wide-eyed, shy young boy when he first began at Hogwarts. Horace had attempted to take the boy under his wing, and shield him from the harsh realities of the real world, but alas, it was not within Horace's power to protect the boy from the cold cruel world. He had seen how the boy was taunted mercilessly by the elder Potter and Black, and how this relentless harrassment had enventually driven Severus into the Dark Lord's circle.

What a shame that such potential had gone to waste, Horace had thought. The boy was brilliant in Defence and Potions, was an outstanding student, and could have had the world at his feet. It was not often that Horace had encountered such talent and intelligence in one so young, and he had had high hopes for the young Slyterhin. Severus had attained his Masters in Potions shortly after graduation, having served as an apprentice with Horace during his last two years at Hogwarts, making Severus one of the youngest ever to attain the level of Potions Master, but alas, the boy had followed the path of Darkness, and Horace had lost his protege to the allure of the Dark Arts. The Dark Lord had taken full advantage of Severus' skill in Potions, and it broke Horace's heart that such talent had gone to the pursuit of evil. Horace had known, the minute Severus had sought the company of the likes of McNair, Avery and Lucius Malfoy-- that it was a lost cause.

It was of course with much joy that Horace discovered that Severus had had an ephipany and turned his life around; sacrificing his freedom and laying his life on the line to become a spy for the Light after James and Lily Potter's deaths. Severus had become a fine, brave man and Horace was pleased that both Harry and Severus now had each other.

“Horace,” Severus snapped impatiently. He'd been asking the man a question for a full minute, and had the impression that he had not heard a word that Severus said.

Horace snapped back to reality at the harsh tone. “Wha-what? Oh yes, I'm sorry Severus,” Horace stammered,as he placed the teacup, with shaky hands, back onto the saucer.

“Would you mind repeating your question Severus? I'm afraid that this is all a bit much to take in,” Horace said apologetically.

Severus attempted to subdue his rising impatience. It wouldn't do, afterall, to alienate the man that he was about to ask a favour of.

Severus studied the elder wizard and with a jolt realised that Horace was not as young or as healthy as he had once been. Of course, Severus realised that the man had received rather shocking news, and it was obvious that Horace was weighing Severus' words very carefully to judge whether he should accept at face value, the information being offered to him. Severus knew that the man had already suffered great disappointment at the choices that Severus had made through the years. At one time, Severus had looked up to Horace with great reverence and respect, both for the man's talents and patience in teaching Severus all he knew. It must have been extremely frustrating and disappointing for the man, Severus realised with a pang of regret, when Severus had become so enamoured with the Dark Arts, and had thrown away the opportunities that Slughorn had offered him.

Although Albus had taken the man's place as mentor, after the Potters’ death, Slughorn had been Severus’ one stabilizing influence during his early years at Hogwarts. Albus had frequently ignored the taunting and bullying by the Marauders, and had consistently ignored the young Slytherin's pain and suffering. It had taken many years for Severus to forgive Albus for his failure to protect him and failure to ackowledge how cruelly his precious Gryffindors had treated Severus. Severus' return to Hogwarts had been a learning experience for both Albus and himself. Albus had begun to take the time to really know Severus Snape the man, not Severus Snape the Death Eater, and as a consequence had began to respect the side of the man that few were allowed to see. Albus had pointed out to Severus on many occasions that it was a pity indeed that Severus hid behind his facade of cool severity, and didn't allow others to see the truly remarkable man beneath.

Severus also came to respect Albus Dumbledore, as a great, powerful Wizard, whose insight and knowledge had become a lifeline for Severus. Yes, the man enjoyed being in control and could be hopelessly manipulative at times, but he was inherantly a good man, and he had taught Severus what he needed to survive, and had taught his son as well. Perhaps now was the time for all of them to put past grievances behind them, and enjoy their freedom that they had worked so hard to attain. Yes... Albus Dumbledore had changed Severus' life in many ways; and although he was working through his resentement, on the whole Dumbledore had forced Severus to become the man he was meant to be. Could he be the father he was meant to be now?

Horace, on the other hand, had been his salvation throughout his years at Hogwarts. Horace had fostered his interest in Potions, had taught him Defence Against the Dark Arts, and Duelling Tactics, well beyond the syllabus of seventh year. The result was that by the time Severus had graduated, he was proficient enough in Potions to obtain his Master in the Discipline, and his expert skill in Defence and Dueling had resulted in Severus winning several Dueling competitions througout Britain and the rest of Europe.

It had been little wonder that the Dark Lord wished to recruit the young Snape. What a formidible weapon Severus would make against the Light. Here was an angry, bitter young man, with skill and intelligence beyond his years. It had not been hard for the Dark Lord to poison his thoughts, Severus thought bitterly. He had been ripe for the picking. Severus wished desperately that he could do things differently; take a different path, but he had learnt many years ago, that wallowing in self-pity and agonizing over past mistakes, only crippled your ability to control your emotions and resulted in stagnation and prevented you from doing what you needed to do. No, Severus could not change the past, but he was damned sure that he would be in full control of his future.

Severus turned his attention back to Horace's pale face. Oh Merlin, Severus was wondering if the man were not in shock.

“Horace,” Severus repeated yet again, more forcefully.

Harry leant forward in his chair. “Professor? Are you alright?” he asked anxiously.

Horace pressed his fingers into his forehead. “Yes, I'm fine. I'm just...rather overwhelmed, I must admit.”

“Would you like me to pour you some more tea, sir?” Harry offered politely.

“I'm afraid that I rather need something a little more potent than that my boy,” Horace said in a wobbily voice.

Harry glanced at Severus worriedly. Severus motioned to the liquor cabinet behind Harry, and nodded at Harry, to grant Horace's request.

Harry searched in the cabinet for the most potent brand of firewhiskey he could find and poured a large quantity into a glass. Horace grabbed at the glass greedily. He downed the alcohol as quickly as a thirsty man in the desert, and allowed the warmth to spread to his numb, cold limbs, and befuddled brain.

Now, he could process what Severus had just told him. Severus was murdered by Voldemort's very large snake. Harry used Severus' Horcrux to bring Severus back from the Veil. The backlash from the Dark magic infiltrated Harry's mind. On second thought... Horace motioned to Harry to pour him another glass of firewhiskey. Harry jumped up quickly to comply.

When Horace appeared to be more stable, Severus directed the conversation once again to the matter at hand, well... at least he intended to!

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. He turned to Harry. “Would you please pour me a glass as well, Potter?” He needed some fortification as well.

Harry lifted an eyebrow at his father. Severus pointed to the liquor cabinet.

Now that both men were nursing their liquid courage, Severus brought the conversation back under control.

“Minerva has authorized me to request your return to Hogwarts to once again fill the post of Potions Professor.”

Horace's eyes widened in surprise. He shook his head. “Severus, I appreciate the offer, but I-”

Severus interuppted quickly, to soothe the man's concerns. “Let me reassure you, Horace—you need not consider it a permanent position. I am presently teaching both Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts, and I've recently been awarded the position of Deputy Headmaster.”

Horace was gobsmacked. It was no wonder the man looked positively peaked. Well, more than usual. He was working his fingers to the bone, and with Harry's situation, the man must have little time to work on a solution—not to mention foster a relationship with his newfound son.

Severus sensed the change in Horace's attitude, and took full advantage of his obvious sympathy to Severus' dilemma.

“If you could return until such time as Minerva finds a replacement, Horace, it would not only put us in close proximity-- to perhaps come up with a solution to Harry's problem, but with Harry's unstable mood swings, he is both a danger to himself and others; he requires constant supervision.”

Harry felt his face heat up in embarassment. Honestly, Harry thought. He would be so relieved when he could reclaim control of his life; move back to the Tower, have a normal relationship with Ginny, and not feel like a bloody child who needed a babysitter. It was becoming quite tiresome to have to rely on Severus and his friends to prevent him from doing something stupid. He just wanted his life back; It wasn't fair. He had never been in control of his own destiny--not since he was born. Harry felt a stab of bitter resentment. Voldemort had not only stole his pa-, James, Lily and Severus from him, he had stolen his childhood, and now that he was an adult, Voldemort was still pulling the strings from beyond the grave.

Severus could see the fleeting emotions appear on Harry's face. If they were to have any sort of chance to just be father and son, then a solution had to be found, and as quickly as possibly. All gloves were off now; his son was first and foremost his priority, and Severus would use whatever means at his disposal to bring back some sense of normacly to their lives. Or perhaps normalcy was not the correct term, Severus thought acerbically. Their lives had never been normal in the generally accepted sense of the word. No, Severus vowed, their lives would be better than what they had become accustomed to. If he had to move heaven and earth to make it happen.

Horace sighed. And then.. Severus watched him as he massaged his temples with his fingertips, and Severus wondered if he was thinking about the last battle--it had taken its toll on all of them. But finally, Horace nodded--albeit reluctantly.

"Very well Severus. But-” Horace lifted a finger. “-I will stay only until Harry is well again, and Minerva is able to find a replacement.” Horace downed another shot of firewhiskey.. “Is that agreeable Severus?” He swiveled his head to look at Harry. “Harry?”

Harry had mixed feelings about the whole thing. While he felt like they were taking control of the situation, and that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, he wasn't so sure how he felt about Slughorn returning to Hogwarts to teach Potions. This would be a very debasing experience, to be sure. It won’t take long for Slughorn to realise that I’m a fraud, Harry thought bitterly. Without Severus' book, could he possibly brew a potion without blowing up the classroom? His mother and father were naturally skilled at Potions, why then couldn't Harry brew a potion to save his life? On the other hand, he had peformed quite well during his Owls, without Severus breathing down his neck. Maybe there was hope yet.

“That is quite agreeable, Horace.” Severus gave a pointed look at Harry, who also nodded in agreement. “We both appreciate your help more than you can know, Horace,” Severus said stiffly.

“Once I get settled in Severus, we'll discuss a strategy for reversing the effects of Dark Magic on Harry.” At Harry's distressed look, Horace took pity on him. “Don't worry my boy, we'll get you back to normal . Your father and Albus Dumbledore are two of the most brilliant wizards I've had the pleasure to know; you are in excellent hands. And I, of course, will do everything in my power; utilize the knowledge to the best of my abilities to give you back control of your mind.”

Harry shivered. It scared the hell out of him to realise that he didn't have control of his mind—that he was at the mercy of evil forces, and his decisions were based on false judgement. It did boost his morale somewhat to know that he could rely on his father for support and protection, but Harry still felt extremely vulnerable. But Harry told himself that it would be over soon, and that Dumbledore, Severus and Slughorn were experts in their fields and wouldn`t rest until he was cured.

Horace patted Harry on the shoulder. “It 's going to be alright my boy. You'll see.”

Harry looked at Horace doubtfully. He wished with all his heart that he could believe what the man was saying, and he did trust Snape's assertion that he would do everything in his power to help Harry overcome this possession of Dark Magic, but that didn't mean that Harry felt any less vulnerable, or any less terrified of the lack of control of his mind which he was experiencing..

Noticing Harry's continued agitation, despite Horace's soothing words of concern, Severus felt an almost overwhelming desire to comfort his son, and reassure him that it was not a hopeless cause. Severus found himself raising his arm and stiffly placing it on Harry's shoulders.

Harry looked up in surprise, when he felt the weight of Snape's hand on his shoulder. He held back a smile, as he noticed how rigidly the man was holding himself. At the same time, Harry appreciated the effort and thought that it must have taken a great deal for the reserved man to offer physical comfort.

Severus ignored the startled looks of both Horace and Harry, and swallowed down the impulse to remove his arm. He had to keep reminding himself that this was son, Lily's son, and the boy had given unselfishly of himself to give a second chance to a man, who had treated him so cruelly for so many years. Severus knew that the least that he could do was make an attempt to change his mindset towards the boy, and treat him as a son deserves to be treated by his father.

It wasn't easy though. Severus had not allowed himself to feel any kind of emotion, whether it be joy or sorrow, for many years. Anger was probably the only emotion that he allowed himself to display; and even that he held under strict control. It was not often that he allowed his anger spiral to the point of snapping his tightly-controlled rein on his temper. Severus had always held firm to the notion that allowing yourself to wallow in self-pity, or allowing anger to escalate could only mar your judgement, and could very well be the difference between life and death.

In the Dark Lord's circle, Severus had had to maintain a consistent aura of strength and self-control. The Dark Lord had no pity for cowards, and even less for those who wore their emotions on their sleeve. His self-discipline had served Severus well during his Death Eater years, and having no emotional ties had been a necessity. He could not have afforded to allow himself to care about anyone; least of all his own son—Harry Potter.

And Severus had to remind himself constantly that he was no longer enslaved to that madman.

The very behaviour that had saved Severus' life on numerous occasions, was not appropriate in a relationship with his son. Severus wasn't certain though, that it would be that easy to allow himself to develop a healthy relationship with his son. Could he realistically be what Harry needed? He had reached a certain level of pride in having reached the level of trust that Harry had obviously placed in him. Severus was terrified of betraying that trust—of letting his son down.

They said their goodbyes to Horace after the older man assured Harry and Severus that they would be seeing each other shortly.

Harry felt his first glimmer of hope in quite awhile as they walked out of Horace’s door. Severus held his hand on Harry's shoulder until they were halfway down the walk-way, when he pulled it abruptly away, as though he had touched a hot cauldron.

Harry smothered a laugh. His father probably figured that he had reached his quota for physical display of emotion for the next decade!

----

Draco's stomach roiled with anxiety. What the hell did Snape want anyway? Did Snape know? Had he guessed at the dangerous game that the young Slytherin had been playing? The man did seem to have the reputation of somehow discovering your most closely guarded secrets. Many a Slytherin had made the mistake of thinking they had pulled the wool over their Head of House's eyes, only to discover the error of their ways... the hard way.

Panic rose like bile as Draco forced himself to knock on the door to Snape's office. He pushed down the anxiety, telling himself that he was grossly overacting. Even if the man suspected his involvement with news leaks, he didn't have any proof—did he?

“Enter,” a deep voice resounded from within Snape's office.

Draco’s grip on the handle faltered as his moist palm made contact with the metal; his heart pounded against his chest. Honestly! Draco admonished himself; he had faced the Dark Lord with less trepidation. What was it about Snape that was so intimidating? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the man could made even Adams quake in his shoes?

Could it be that Snape looked so very tall and threatening in his flowing black robes, that made him resemble a giant vampire bat? Could it be those obsidian eyes that bore a hole right through to your very soul? The man was as graceful and deadly as a black panther. It was all those reasons combined that made Severus a formidable opponent, and whatever the reason for the man's menacing aura, Draco knew that Severus Snape was not a man you wanted as your enemy.

As Draco closed the door behind him, his attention was caught by the newspaper spread out on the desk before him. Even though the newspaper was facing the other way, Draco had no trouble recognizing it as the Daily Prophet.

The one with the headline that read:

HARRY POTTER: THE NEW DARK LORD?

Draco blanched.

Severus sat behind his desk, with his hands folded, and fixed the young Slytherin with a piercing look.

Draco held his arms rigidly by his side, and waited anxiously for Severus to speak first.

If Severus had had any doubts about Draco's guilt, they were immediately dispelled by Draco's behaviour. The boy was obviously looking everywhere but at the newspaper on Severus' desk. The boy was unable to even look directly at him, Severus thought with malicious pleasure. This was too easy. It was like taking candy from a baby. Did this foolish boy really believe that he could outsmart him? He was as arrogant as Lucius if he thought that he was infallible. But studying the boy now, Draco looked anything but confident or arrogant. He looked guilt-ridden and ill-at-ease

“Is something the matter, Mr. Malfoy?” Severus inquired smoothly.

“Uh… no, sir,” Draco stammered nervously, avoiding eye-contact with Severus.

“Sit,” Severus ordered curtly.

Draco quickly complied, trying to keep his glance off of the newspaper, and its glaring headline.

Severus suddenly turned the newspaper around to face Draco, not taking his eyes off the squirming Slytherin.

Draco jerked back instinctively, pressing his back into the hard rungs of the chairr, and his eyes widened in fear when he noticed Severus' cold black eyes pinning him with an accusing glare.

Severus leant forward slightly. “Tell me Mr. Malfoy,” he began slowly, “have you happened to peruse the daily Prophet today, by any chance?”

Draco swallowed the lump in his throat, and attempted to paste an innocent look on his transparent features.

“No sir, I don't read such trash,” he said haughtily.

Severus narrowed his eyes. “Is that so?” he asked disbelievingly.

“Yes sir, I have better things to do than waste my money or my time reading such obvious nonsense,” he said disdainfully; all the while, hoping that Snape was buying his story.

“Really, Mr. Malfoy?” Severus rose from his seat, grabbed the newspaper and shoved it in front of Draco's face.

Draco's Adam's apple bobbed up and down, and his eyes grew wide with fear.

“So you know nothing about the rumours that Mr. Potter is the next Dark Lord?” Severus sneered. Or who might have been the anonymous informant from within the walls of Hogwarts?" He quoted.

“Well...I had heard rumours of course sir, but I know nothing about the story,” he denied vehemently.

Severus walked around to his desk, and pulled out another newspaper from the top drawer. He unfolded it and once again shoved the newspaper in front of Draco's face.

It was the earlier edition of the newspaper where Draco had leaked the story about Potter being Severus' son. Draco licked his lips nervously and tried to dampen his rising panic. Oh Merlin! He knows! Draco felt cornered, and wondered how the hell he was going to extricate himself out of this situation. He had become quite adept throughout the years, of weaseling himself out of sticky situations, but he had an inkling that it was not going to be so easy to convince his irate Head of House that he had nothing to do with the leaks. It was very difficult to lie to the man. Not only had Snape made it abundantly clear in his first year at Hogwarts, that lying would not be tolerated within Slytherin House, but the man had an uncanny knack for knowing when you were lying, and forcing the truth from your traitorous lips.

“Curious, isn't it?” Severus traced his thin lips with a long pale finger. “Once again, a story appears in the Daily Prophet, based on the information given by an anonymous source within Hogwarts.”

“Yes, that is odd, sir,” Draco laughed nervously. “Perhaps the House Elves?”

Severus' expression grew stormy. “This is not a laughing matter, Mr. Malfoy.”

“I'm sorry, sir.” Draco's face flushed with the reprimand.

Severus' patience snapped. “I will not play games with you, Mr. Malfoy.”

Severus leant in closer to the boy, and placed both hands on the back of the chair, on either side of Draco’s head.

“I have anonymous sources at Hogwarts as well, Mr. Malfoy,” Severus said in a silky voice. “And do you know what they tell me?”

Draco gulped nervously. “N-no Sir,” he stammered.

Severus removed his hands from the back of the chair. Draco breathed a sigh of relief, but it was short-lived.

“They tell me, Mr. Malfoy, that you've been skulking about...hiding in the shadows.” He paused a moment. “Eavesdropping.” Draco paled. “More specifically, you've been spotted eavesdropping at the door to my office, and the Headmistress' office.”

Draco scrambled to think up a believable lie, but came up short, so he manipulated the truth somewhat.

“Well, I wouldn't call it eavesdropping exactly, sir,” Draco hedged.

Severus raised an eyebrow at the boy's impertinence. “And what would you call it, Mr. Malfoy?”

“I was coming to see you sir, and when I heard that you were with someone, I left right away--I swear, sir.” Draco lied smoothly. “As for eavesdropping on Professor McGonagall… I have no idea what you mean.”

Severus clenched his teeth. “I'm losing my patience with you, Mr. Malfoy. I'm giving you one last chance to tell the truth, or suffer the consequences. And trust me Mr. Malfoy, they won't be pleasant.”

Severus came closer to the quivering boy. Draco knew that his options were limited. Either way, he was in trouble and he knew it.

“Mr. Malfoy—I believe you know how I feel about lying, and how I deal with liers. While I would be displeased...to put it mildly-- should I discover that you were responsible for planting these stories, it would pale in comparison to my reaction to discovering that you had told me a bold-faced lie.”

Severus leant on his desk and crossed his arms; staring down at the white-faced boy before him. Severus still believed that Draco wasn't a lost cause, despite his error in judgement. He would not be soft on the boy, but he did understand what Draco must be feeling, but it wouldn't do to be too lenient with him either.

“You have one last chance to come clean, Mr. Malfoy...Draco,” Severus added softly.

Draco's eyes met Severus. It had been a long time since Severus had called him Draco.

“Trust me Draco, the consequences will be much more severe if I find that you've lied to me.”

“I will ask you one more time, Draco. Were you, or were you not responsbile for these leaks to the Daily Prophet?”

Draco lowered his eyes. “Yes, sir...I was.”

----

Harry's hand froze in mid-air as he was about to knock on the door to Severus ' office.

He shook his head. Had he just heard what he thought he had?

Malfoy was responsible for those stories? Six-and-a-half years of crap he'd endured from that git, and now this? Fury overwhelmed Harry, and before he could stop to think about his actions, he stormed off back down to Severus' quarters to look for his wand. He'd teach that little ferret a lesson and he didn't care if he ended up in Azkaban for it!

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693