An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158615 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Mending Fences by Pandora
Author's Notes:
All characters and universe belongs to J.K Rowling.

Special thanks my wonderful beta ObsidianEmbrace. What would I do without you Tabitha?

And of course, thank you Kristeh. I really appreciate your encouragement.

Ginny felt prickling on the back of her neck. Her head snapped around and her stomach plunged when she saw Harry standing in the doorway, staring at her.

"Hi Ginny," Harry whispered.

Ginny looked at Harry, wide-eyed. "Hi Harry."

"I was wondering-" Harry started nervously, fiddling with the straps on his book bag, "-if we could.. uh, talk."

Ginny remained quiet for a moment, and Harry thought,with a twinge of disappointment, that she was going to refuse.

Finally...she nodded.

Harry motioned for them to sit down on the couch.

Oh Merlin, she smelled so sweet, and he wanted to reach out and touch her silky hair--but of course... he couldn't. It was simply torture.

Harry wasn't quite sure how to bring up the subject that was on both of their minds.

"Ron thinks that you and Hermione ratted us out to my father and McGonagall," he finally blurted out.

Ginny's face flushed.

"Don't blame Ginny, Harry. I'm the one that convinced her that we should inform McGonagall."

Harry and Ginny both rose from their seats; Hermione was standing in the doorway, regret clouding her expression.

"You were the one?" Harry asked, disappointed in Hermione, but relieved that it wasn't Ginny's idea to tell.

Hermione nodded slowly. "I'm sorry Harry," she said miserably.

Harrry looked up at her, disappointment and hurt reflected in his eyes. "But why?"

"Because she's a back-stabbing traitor, that's why," Ron said with an angry scowl, as he came up behind Hermione, making her jump out the of way.

Hermione looked crestfallen. "Ron, that's not true!"

"Oh really?" he asked sarcastically, crossing his arms and glaring down at her. "What the hell would you call it?" he bit back, his voice rising angrily.

Hermione looked at Harry apologetically. "I'm sorry Harry, but I was only trying to protect you and Ron--I was worried about you, and-"

"Like hell you were," Ron growled. "You were doing what you do best--sticking your nose where it doesn't belong."

Hermione's face crumpled. "I'm a Prefect, and so are you for that matter."

"Oh, and you were just fulfilling your duties," Ron sneered. "Even if it meant betraying your best friend and your boyfriend," Ron said in disgust.

Hermione's face flushed in anger. "Maybe it's about time that you took your duties a little more seriously, Ronald."

Ron scoffed. "Well, you know what Hermione? McGonagall can take her damned Prefect badge and shove it up her-"

"Ron!" Ginny said, shocked. "Hermione's right you know; there weren't only seventh years here-"

"I don't care who the hell was here. She-" He pointed angrily at Hermione, "-ran to McGonagall and Snape, and ratted on us. I don't care what her reasons are. And if you're my bloody sister, how can you be siding with her?"

"You know what Ron? I'm not going waste my time, trying to explain this to you. When you get your head out of your arse, and start acting your age, you'll realise that I was really left with no choice. I'm a Prefect, and I'm responsible for the younger students and I take that seriously. If you don't or, can't accept that, then that's your problem, not mine."

Hermione looked at Harry apologetically. "I'm sorry if I got you in trouble with McGonagall and your father Harry--I really am, but you didn't look well, and I was worried about you, not to mention some of the younger students were dangerously inebriated. I really didn't mean-" She stopped, swiping at a few stray tears that rolled down her cheeks.

"Anyway, I'm really sorry," she croaked, before running out the door.

"Ron, why don't you go after her, and stop being so damned bull-headed," Ginny said through gritted teeth.

"No, I won't," Ron said, his face set in a stubborn scowl. "You're not the one who got a Howler from Mum, in front of everyone. You're not the one who's probably going to spend the Christmas holidays, de-gnoming the garden, and scrubbing the floors."

"Yeah, well," Ginny said, with her hands on her hips, "I'm also not the one who had a wild party, got pissed and got high on Muggle Drugs," she countered angrily.

Harry's face flushed. Put like that, it really put into perspective how foolish he'd been.

"Oh yeah that's right," Ron sneered contemptuously, "You're the good child...who never gets into trouble."

"Oh, go shove it, Ron."

"You know, I've had enough of this," Ron said angrily, turning on his heel to leave. He stopped abruptly. "Oh Harry, your father's looking for you, and he looks pissed."

Oh crap, Harry thought.

Harry was sure that his face was the colour of the Gryffindor reds that adorned the room.

Harry looked at Ginny. "Uh-I'm not supposed to be here," he admitted to Ginny in a small voice. "I'd better go."

Ginny looked at him shyly. "Okay...I'll see you at dinner?"

Harry's heart leapt. It seemed that Ginny wasn't angry at him any longer.

"I'll be down in a minute, Ron."

Ron awarded his sister with a hateful glare, nodded at Harry, and stomped off.

Harry looked at Ginny anxiously. "I was just wondering if you're--uh, you know, still angry with me?" Harry asked in a shaky voice.

Ginny looked at him with soft eyes. "Harry, I never really was angry at you. Well...maybe a little that you allowed yourself to lose control like that, but-" She smiled. "-you know that I could never stay angry at you for long."

She came over, and awkwardly took his hands in hers.

Harry felt a tingle of excitement spread through his body. When Ginny leaned up towards him on her tippy-toes, and brushed her soft lips against his, he felt like fireworks exploded.

"You'd better go Harry," she whispered softly in his ear.

Harry's stomach clenched. "Yeah, Severus is going to kill me for being here."

"How much trouble did you get in?" Ginny asked worriedly. Even though she had not technically opened her mouth to McGonagall, she'd still felt tremendously guilty for having allowed Hermione to talk her into accompanying her to advise McGonagall of the pandemonium taking place in the Gryffindor Common Room. And when she saw Snape's expression after being informed that his son was involved in a wild party, and was presently drunk and high on Muggle drugs...well, Ginny had begun to regret allowing Hermione to convince her that it was in Harry and Ron's best interest to inform the professors. Snape had looked positively livid, and she was worried about his temper with Harry, especially considering their past history.

He grimaced. "Loads! You know...the usual lecture about how irresponsible I was... and the dangers of drinking." He rolled his eyes.

"He's right young man," Ginny wagged a finger playfully at him.

"Yeah, I know, and trust me...I won't be doing that again. I was as sick as a dog the next day," Harry said sheepishly.

"Yeah well, don't tell Ron," Ginny lowered her voice, "or he'll get all smug, but I had a bottle of firewhiskey too. And to be honest with you, it tasted horrible."

Harry grinned. "Yeah, well it's an acquired taste."

"I don't think that I'll be trying that again anytime soon," she said with a grimace.

Harry smiled down at her, and boldly put his arm around her shoulders. He sighed in relief, when she didn't recoil, and actually leaned closer into him; resting her head on his shoulder.

"C'mon let's go, before my father flays me alive. I was supposed to meet him in our quarters before dinner, and I'm not really allowed up here."

"Oh," she said in understanding. "So, you're grounded then?"

Harry blushed. "Yeah, till Christmas."

"Oh, I'm sorry Harry," she said, regretfully.

"It's not your fault Ginny."

Ginny's expression clouded over. "If you mean that it's Hermione's fault-"

"No, that's not what I meant," Harry explained quickly. "I take full responsibility for my actions. I shouldn't have been so irresponsible. And it's my own fault that I got in trouble with my father... that's all I meant."

"I hope that you can forgive Hermione, Harry. She really was in a bad position. I mean, think about it. You're a Prefect, and your job is to help your fellow students make sure that they are safe and happy, and it is your responsibility to report any rules being broken, and you walk into a wild party, where there are not only seventh years, but third to fifth year students as well--getting drunk and high on Muggle drugs. What would you do?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't honestly know." He was having a hard time letting go of his disappointment, but he wasn't as furious as Ron was. He did understand Hermione's predicament though.

"Maybe you could talk to Ron?" Ginny asked hopefully, as they walked down the corridors, Harry's arms still possessively around Ginny's slender shoulders.

Harry turned his head slightly and cocked an eyebrow at her. "You actually think that Ron's going to listen to me?"

Ginny sighed. "No, I suppose not. He never was one to listen to reason. I mean, if anything really bad had happened to you, or to one of the younger students, he would have been in even more trouble, and felt bloody awful about it afterwards."

"Well, I think that Ron just needs some time to come to that conclusion on his own." Harry said wisely. "Those two are always fighting."

"Yeah, but this is a little more serious, isn't it? I mean- Ron's taking this as though Hermione's betrayed him. If you had seen her face Harry, when she saw you and Ron drinking, and the little kids falling over each other drunk...and the chaos, what with the loud music, drinking--the drugs..." her voice trailed off.

"It was all really out of control, and-"

Ginny stopped suddenly. "She was really scared Harry. She was scared that someone was going to get hurt, and she was scared that it was getting out of hand. You know Hermione, Harry...she doesn't like when things are out of control. Her sense of order and responsibility wouldn't allow her conscience to ignore the danger," she said earnestly.

Harry bit his lip. "I know Ginny, but as you pointed out, Ron is really stubborn." He sighed. "I'll try talking to him, but I'm not making any promises."

Ginny huffed. "Yeah, it's just like my idiot brother to find someone really good for him, only for him to screw it up because of his stupid pride."

"Yeah, he can be really-"

Harry stopped suddenly at the bottom of the winding staircase, and his stomach churned at the sight of Severus standing at the bottom, his lips in a thin line. He pinned Harry with his cold dark eyes.

Ginny squeezed Harry's arm lightly when he drew back instinctively as Severus stalked over to them.

He narrowed his eyes at Harry, and turned to address Ginny. "If you'll excuse us, Miss Weasley, I'd like to have a word with my son."

Ginny looked worriedly at Harry.

"I'll see you at dinner Ginny," Harry said as he nodded.

Harry noticed that a few students, mainly Slytherins, who had noticed how angry their Head of House was, and about to berate their most hated fellow student, had gathered around to watch the show.

Severus turned around and fixed them with a fearsome look. "Be off, the lot of you, or you'll be scrubbing cauldrons till curfew."

They scowled, but knew better than to argue with the prickly man.

When he was sure that they would not be overheard, Severus turned his attention to Harry. He folded his arms across his chest and narrowed his eyes.

"Care to explain what you were doing in Gryffindor Tower, when you were strictly prohibited to do so?" he demanded coldly.

Harry twisted his fingers around the strap of his book bag which was beginning to get very heavy. He had planned on ditching it before he went to dinner, but had never got a chance before he went to speak with Ginny.

"I'm sorry, but I really needed to talk to Ginny," Harry said apologetically.

"You could have spoken with her at dinner, which is the only time that you are allowed to have contact with your friends."

"I needed to speak with her privately. We had a bit of an argument and-"

"Your love life is not my concern," he sneered.

Harry scowled at him.

"And unless, you'd like to eat all your meals in our quarters, I suggest that you adhere to the restrictions I have placed on you from now on," he said sternly.

"Fine," Harry snapped.

"I really suggest you watch your tone, Harry." Severus said in a dangerous voice.

"Sorry, but I really did need to talk to Ginny about something privately. I promise, it won't happen again."

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. "Very well, Harry. Let's go eat."

Despite his severe look, Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. "Wait for me after dinner, and we'll walk down to our quarters together."

Harry nodded.

He sat down next to Ginny in the Great Hall, and Ron scowled. Harry noticed that Hermione was missing.

"Where's Hermione?" Harry whispered to Ginny.

Ginny's eyes crinkled in concern. "Crying up in her dorm, and I can't get her to come down."

"I don't know what to do," Ginny said anxiously.

"I'll try to talk to Ron, but I don't know if I'll be able to get to talk to him alone."

The meal passed in relative silence, as Ron refused to speak with Ginny, and Harry felt as though he was in the middle of world war three, and was sitting there with his little white flag, waving it around.

Ginny leant over to Harry, just as pudding was being served. "Listen, I'm going to check up on Hermione. Why don't you-" she nodded in Ron's direction, "-try to knock some sense into my stubborn brother's hard head?"

Harry nodded. "I'll try…"

"Yeah, just do your best then," she sighed as she rose from her seat. "I'll see you later, uh-oh..." Her face crumpled in disappointment. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

Harry realised suddenly too, that between his detention that evening, and his restrictions, that he and Ginny would not be able to spend much time together in the next few weeks.

Not really wanting to let her go, Harry pulled Ginny down by her arm, almost making her fall into his lap. Harry's face flushed, but he pulled her closer and kissed her soundly.

Ron glared at him, but Seamus and Neville smirked.

"Bye Harry," Ginny said breathlessly. She grabbed his collar, pulled him forward--and kissed him again.

Harry was barely aware of the other boys at the table cheering them on, as he watched Ginny smile mischievously at him and saunter off. All he could think of was the feel of her lips on his, and the curve of her hips, her long, shapely legs, and the way her skirt hugged her-

"Harry," a deep voice invaded his lustful thoughts.

Harry felt as though his face was on fire when he looked up into his father's smirking face.

"Are you ready?" Severus inquired smoothly, but the amusement was apparent in his voice.

"Yeah." He said a quick goodbye to Ron, who scowled in return. Yeah, Ron was really going to listen to him...right.

"So, should I be expecting some red-headed grandchildren soon?" Severus drawled.

Harry's jaw dropped, and he gaped at his father.

"Wh-what?" Harry managed to spit out.

"Well, the way you and Miss Weasley were melted into each other."

"You don't have to worry about that anytime soon," Harry said, wanting the floor to open up, and swallow him whole.

"I'm relieved to hear that. I'm just getting used to fatherhood. I don't think that I'm ready to be a grandfather yet."

"Can we drop this subject...please." The last thing that Harry wanted to discuss with his father, was his sex life, even though he and Ginny hadn't gotten that far yet. Mind you, it was getting harder and harder to resist...

"Very well, but I don't suppose I have to remind you of the wisdom of exercising caution."

'No Severus," Harry mumbled.

Harry flopped down on the couch, the instant that they arrived in their quarters, but not before he plopped his bag on the floor. He closed his eyes for a moment, and felt the weariness course through his body.

Normally, his routine was, after finishing his dinner, hurrying through his assignments before he had detention each evening. Although it was McGonagall who had originally assigned the detentions, they were alternately supervised by Snape, McGonagall herself, and sometimes Professor Sprout. Of course, Snape's detentions were the worse, having to dice up all sorts of squirmy ingredients for potions, and scrub cauldrons, but McGonagall's were fast becoming a second runner up--having to dust and polish all the trophies in the display cabinets on the third floor, scrubbing down the Prefect's and Head Boy's lavatories, but the worst one yet, was having to set up a table in the main hall, and hand out colourful, moving pamphlets, explaining the school's rules and policies on drinking and drugs, and the consequences of violating such rules.

Harry and the other students who were involved in the party, were the target of many a sneer and taunt, as they were held up as a example of the dangers of partaking in alcohol and Muggle drugs, and it was as embarrassing as hell.

"Harry."

Harry, who had an arm draped over his eyes, to block out the harsh light, moved his arm slightly, to see Severus standing over him.

"Don't you think that you should start on your assignments before your detention?" he suggested.

"Yeah," Harry said grudgingly as he pulled his weary body up.

Both Harry and Snape set themselves up at the kitchen table. Harry to do his homework, and Severus so that he could grade papers. It was his turn to supervise detention this evening, and he wanted to finish the grading before, so that he wouldn't be up too late.

As had become the routine, Harry grabbed a shortbread biscuit off the plate that Severus had placed in the middle of the table, and sipped at his tea.

He stopped for a moment, and studied Severus as he furiously scribbled in red on a piece of parchment. Harry couldn't help but think of how comfortable he and Severus had become with each other. It felt good to sit there and do his homework, while Severus graded his papers. They always had tea and biscuits, and just enjoyed each other's presence, even if they both remained quiet--each concentrating on their work.

If anyone had told Harry a few months ago, that he would be enjoying Severus Snape's company, if would have laughed in their face.

"Severus, I was just wondering...uh, about, well...if there will still be a Quidditch game this weekend."

Severus lifted his gaze from the parchment, and stilled his quill. He narrowed his eyes at Harry.

"You surely don't expect to be allowed to play Quidditch, after your appalling behavior?"

Harry felt a flash of irritation. "I wasn't asking for me."

He cocked an eyebrow. "I see."

"Well, you know Ron was wondering..."

"Well, Mr. Weasley will have to ask Minerva-- it's not my decision. However, Minerva is well aware of my views on the matter."

Harry tried to push aside his annoyance. He had guessed, after all, that he probably wouldn't have been allowed to play Quiddtich, but to hear Severus sound so smug about it, rather irked him.

Harry changed the subject, not wanting to get into an argument.

"Uh, I was just wondering about Christmas--are we still going to Spinner's End?" Harry asked, nibbling on a biscuit.

Severus leant his elbows on the table and clasped his hands together. "As a matter of fact, I was wondering if you'd like to go see the house this weekend."

Harry's face lit up. "Sure."

"Dont' forget Harry, the place is rather in a deteriorated state."

"Yeah, I remember, but it'll be fun to fix it up."

Severus smirked at him. "I don't know if fun is exactly the word I'd use. Don't forget the house is in a Muggle neighbourhood, so magic must be kept to a minimum, especially if we are working on the outside of the house. It might be rather tedious work."

"That's okay, it's not like I'm not used to hard work."

Harry blushed under Severus' intense look.

"Uh-I mean, I'm used to doing things the Muggle way," he explained quickly.

Severus stared at him, over his teacup for a moment, then nodded. "I believe that we are still due to have a little discussion about your relatives."

Harry stared down at his parchment.

"Another time Harry," Severus said soothingly.

Harry looked up gratefully. He nodded.

"So, we can leave Friday night after your detention, or early Saturday morning if you prefer."

"Either is fine by me," Harry said agreeably.

He looked at Harry thoughtfully. "Well... perhaps Saturday morning is best after all, since I've not set up sleeping arrangements yet. The rooms are rather dusty. I could perhaps engage the use of a House Elf."

Harry's eyes widened. Hermione would not like that at all.

"But again, as we're in a Muggle neighbourhood, I'd really prefer to avoid that. I have some rather curious neighbours, who seem to feel it their duty to pop in at the most inopportune moments."

Harry chuckled. "Yeah, I could just imagine their expressions, if a House Elf dressed in a tea cosy, answered the door."

One side of Snape's lips quirked. "Yes, it could rather pose a problem."

"That's all right. I'm looking forward to fixing the place up the Muggle way anyway. I can even paint," Harry said excitedly.

Severus rolled his eyes. "Gryffindors."

Harry smiled. "Yeah well...I think that we balance each other out. You know...my Gryffindor recklessness, your Slytherin cunning."

Severus rolled his eyes. He pointed to Harry's unfinished schoolwork. "Finish your homework Harry," Severus said firmly. "We don't have much time before we have to leave. We'll discuss the details later."

Harry sighed. He looked down at his homework. He really wasn't in the mood to write this Transfiguration essay that was due tomorrow. If he was staying in the tower, he would have waited until midnight as usual, and finished it off at about three o'clock in the morning, as usual. Of course, Severus would never tolerate that.

After another hour of quiet concentration, Harry was just putting the final touches to his essay when Severus announced that it was time to go.

Harry groaned when he saw the sight that awaited him and his friends.

Severus swept past Harry in a sweep of flowing black robes, motioning for Harry to take a seat, and went to stand in front of his desk, crossing his arms against his chest, fixing his cold black eyes sternly on his errant students.

"As you can see, you have instructions on the board, and your ingredients before you."

Harry sat beside Ron and they exchanged mortified looks at the sight that awaited them. Spread out before them were an assortment of creepy, slimy ingredients for them to chop.

"You will work in silence," he instructed, giving a stern glare to Harry and Ron, who had already started whispering about the Hermione situation, as Harry had put it.

Harry clamped his mouth in frustration. He didn't know how he was going to be able to talk to Ron alone about this. Unless of course, he followed him into the loo, which wasn't exactly the best circumstances to have a serious conversation.

--------

Harry woke up Saturday morning, a flutter of excitement in his stomach.

Harry wasn't quite so sure why he was so excited to visit Spinner's End. After all, the way that Severus had described it, it sounded rather run-down and dreary, but the image in his mind of having a real home, other than Hogwarts with his new father, was so appealing.

It seemed as though, his life was finally taking a turn for the better. He finally had the one thing in his life, that he'd always wanted--a family and a home.

"So, Severus, how are we getting there?"

Severus felt an unfamiliar feeling wash over him. Harry seemed to be so excited, and he was bringing his son home for the first time. He did wish that he had something better to offer Harry, than a broken-down, dilapidated shack. On the other hand...this was a chance to work together, and as Harry would have some input on how the house was decorated, it wouldn't simply be his home, it would be their home.

"Well, we can't Floo there, since, first of all, the house hasn't been cleared by the International Floo Authority because the house is in a Muggle area, and even if it were, the fireplace has not been in use since last summer, and the flue needs to be cleared out."

Harry looked at him in confusion. "So, how are we going to get there then? Portkey?"

"That is perhaps the best idea. Although I suppose that we could Apparate to a secure location and then walk to Spinners End from there," he said thoughtfully.

Harry looked down. "I actually never had a chance to get my license. I mean... I left to go look for Horcruxes, right after I turned seventeen."

Severus looked surprised. "Well, we'll have to rectify that."

Harry nodded eagerly. "Yeah, it would be really handy to have. So, I guess we'll stick with the Portkey for now then."

"Yes, that would be best."

Harry scrunched his face. "Just promise me one thing?"

Severus looked curiously at his son. "And that would be?"

"Please don't make us use some old stinky sock or shoe that smells like gourmet cheese, that I can't pronounce the name of?"

Severus smirked at him. "I'm making no promises."

He put his arm around his son's shoulders."Come, let's go eat breakfast and then be on our way."

Severus and Harry ignored the nasty glares that they received from some of the more resistant Slytherins as they walked amiably to the Great Hall.

Ron greeted Harry with a sullen look as he took his usual place beside Ginny. Hermione's eyes were red and tired-looking, and her face was as pale as alabaster.

Harry tried to draw Ron into the conversation several times, but he was having none of it. He glowered at Ginny, sent hateful glares at Hermione, and tried to ignore Harry's attempts to draw him into the conversation.

Finally...Harry gave up. He vacillated between wanting to eat slowly so that he would have more time with Ginny before he had to leave, and wanting to scoff his meal down quickly, so that he could be on his way. Harry knew that he was probably acting like a little child, but he was really excited to spend the night in their house. At the Dursleys, he never felt welcome, and although the Weasleys had always made Harry feel at home, Harry had always had that little hollow feeling in his heart, that yearned for his own family, his own home...some place that he really belonged.

Severus had already warned him that the house was not beautiful and in disrepair, but Harry could care less. He really didn't care what it looked like; he cared only that for once, he didn't have to pretend that the Weasleys were his family, or that the Dursleys really cared about him, and considered him a son. No...Harry didn't have to pretend any longer.

Ginny! He hadn't had the chance to speak with Ginny about his plans to go to Spinner's End with Severus. Well, he wouldn't have been able to see her all weekend anyway had he stayed at Hogwarts, so although he would miss her at meals, it wasn't like he'd be deprived of her presence too much.

Harry addressed both Ron and Ginny, or rather he tried to get Ron's attention. "I' won't be seeing you at all this weekend, because Severus has an old house in a Muggle neighbourhood, and he's taking me up there, and we're going to fix it up. So maybe you both can come visit there at Christmas," Harry said hopefully.

Ron glared at him. "Oh, and when would that be Harry?" He turned to throw a nasty look at Hermione, who flushed, and put her head down. "When I'm busy scrubbing the floors?" he said sarcastically. "Or...maybe when I'm hanging knickers outside on the bloody clothesline," he growled.

Harry sighed. "Right."

"Oh, and I guess that since you're not going to be here this weekend, you don't have to serve detention either," Ron said resentfully.

"Oh, never fear Mr. Weasley," a silky voice drawled behind them.

Harry looked up to see Severus smirking at him.

"I quite assure you that Harry will not be getting off scot-free this weekend."

Harry's looked up in horror. "What do you mean by that?"

Severus' lips quirked. "Well, I had to assure Minerva that you wouldn't be enjoying yourself, while your classmates were spending time performing monotonous and tedious tasks."

Harry's shoulders slumped.

Severus squeezed Harry's shoulder. "Just think of it as father and son bonding. You get to have a personal, private detention with me."

Harry groaned. "And that's supposed to make me feel better?"

"You mean it doesn't? I'm insulted."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"Time to go Harry."

Harry nodded. "Yeah okay." He leaned over and quickly kissed Ginny, who blushed under Severus' scrutiny.

"I guess that I'll see you...what? Tomorrow night? Will you be home for supper?"

Harry looked up at Severus.

Severus nodded. "I rather think that we'll be home for dinner tomorrow night." He smirked at Harry. "That is...if we ever leave."

Harry flushed. He rose reluctantly, but not before giving Ginny one last quick kiss. Merlin, how he loved her.

"Bye Ron."

"Bye," Ron said grudgingly.

Harry looked over to Hermione and nodded.

"Bye Harry," she said quietly. "Enjoy your weekend."

"Thanks Hermione."

--------

Harry took one last look back up at the castle, as they stood at the Iron Gates. He couldn't help it, he was as excited as a little child going to the fair for the first time.

Harry smiled up at Severus, who looked down at him in amusement. It was strange to see Severus dressed in Muggle clothing. He didn't look quite as menacing, dressed in simple black pants and a crisp white shirt, but of course...he'd never tell Severus that.

"Harry...grab it," Severus said impatiently.

The smile froze on Harry's face.

Harry scowled at his father, and pinched his nose. He clutched on to the old boot in disgust, and suddenly his belly-button felt as though it was turned inside out.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693