An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158615 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Bittersweet by Pandora
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All characters belong to JK Rowling.

Again, many thanks to my beta ObsidianEmbrace, who somehow manages to find the time to help me with my story, and still write brilliant stories herself!

Severus Snape was not a man to allow his iron-clad emotions to run amok, but he was experiencing great difficulty in controlling his spiralling anger...and shock. The little fool had used Severus' Horcrux, to return him from the Veil! The bloody Ambassador for the side of the Light--had dabbled in Dark Magic! He thought incredulously. Severus nursed his Scotch, and allowed his thoughts to wander...

He had been dealt an incredible blow when Albus had first informed him that none other than The Boy-Who-Lived, was his son. Severus had, of course, experienced a succession of emotions when he had been told that Lily had kept her pregnancy from him. Severus' initial reaction had been blinding fury towards the Headmaster for his betrayal. Then...Severus' anger had turned to hurt; how could Lily have...not only kept the secret of her pregnancy from him, but then... married Severus' sworn enemy--and allowed said man to raise Severus' son! It still, to this day, gobsmacked him how Potter could have intended to raise Severus' bastard child.

Severus raised himself gingerly from the sofa, and went to stand before the hearth. He added another log to the fire, and stared into the flickering flames; the warmth enveloping him like a warm blanket. Severus' body was still adjusting to his new status of living-being, and he was having great difficulty in maintaining his body temperature at an acceptable level.

The chill clung to his bones, and he felt as if he were immersed in a tub of ice water. How is it possible, he thought to himself, that less than 72 hours ago, he had laid dying upon the cold, hard cement floor of the Shrieking Shack...staring into Potter's eyes...Lily's eyes? Now...he was faced with an uncertain future, an unwanted future. He had not been afraid to die, because he had been looking forward to seeing Lily again. He had foolishly hoped that she would have forgiven him in death, for what she had not in life. He had fantasized that she would have pronounced him redeemed for his sins, because he had martyred himself for the cause;What a childish, whimsical notion, he admonished himself.

Severus was left wondering where he went from here. Potter was correct about one thing.. If the Dark Lord were truly vanquished, as Potter had claimed, then he was finally master of his own fate. He would no longer be bound by guilt and servitude to two masters, albeit that the Headmaster was not as harsh a taskmaster as the Dark Lord. For once in his life, Severus would not forced to account for his every move--he was a free man...

Severus knew that he had been rather harsh with Potter, but the boy had deserved it! Severus knew better than anyone, the price to be paid for succumbing to the allure of Dark Magic. It had beckoned him, with it's mystery and power...but slowly...the Dark Magic had consumed him, tainted his soul, until he could no longer distinguish between right or wrong. He had been only a couple of years younger than Potter. Grown men have become ravaged by the evils of Dark Magic; a boy Potter's age would not have the maturity, or the discipline to resist its pull towards the Dark side..

Severus downed the last of his Scotch, intending to rest his weary body and mind. Severus lay his aching head upon the pillow, and closed his eyes. Severus was suddenly struck with the realisation that he would have to decide what to do with his future. He really had no desire to teach those dunderheads. Though...there were many of his Slytherins who could use his guidance and support, as many of them had lost their parents, friends and family--while in the Dark Lord's service. But Severus also knew that there would be some who would feel betrayed by him, and what of those in the Order? Would they question his loyalty as well?

As Severus had not witnessed the final battle, nor the subsequent defeat of the Dark Lord, he was quite uncertain how the other teachers, and Order Members would greet him. Had they been convinced of his treachery; would they attack first, and ask questions later? He could always ask Potter for an account of how events unfolded, he supposed, but considering the clear hatred the boy had displayed earlier towards him, it was not a viable option. He was aware, though he would not admit it--but, under the influence of Veritaserum--that he was wholly responsible for provoking Potter's wrath.

But--damn it! The boy had acted foolishly...impulsively! Merlin, if Potter was, in fact, his son, then where the hell did he get this rash, irresponsible nature from? Certainly, Lily had been a Gryffindor, but she had never displayed the reckless, rule-breaking behaviour that her counterparts had engaged in. She was brave, yes but never did she rush headlong into danger without a thought for the consequences like Potter...his son, did!

For years...Severus had been rescuing the idiot-boy from himself. As a Slytherin, he never quite understood the Gryffindor's fascination with tempting fate--it was like the boy believed that he had earned another notch in his belt, each time he cheated death! In addition...matters were exacerbated when the Headmaster would encourage, or turn a blind eye to Potter's little escapades. Giving a child of eleven an invisibility cloak, encouraging him to return to the past, with the aid of a time-turner, and allow him to wander the Forbidden Forest at night, whilst a werewolf roamed free. Allowing a mere child of fourteen to participate in the Triwizard tournament with the excuse that he was bound by the rules of the tournament. Yes...Albus Dumbledore had placed his prodigy in harm's way more often than Severus cared to count.

Severus allowed himself to relax by occluding his thoughts of Potter, and of the heavy burdens he faced in the future. Severus fell into a restless sleep, and his nightmares consisted of his own murder; Nagini's fangs sinking slowly, and deeply into his neck, and a slow-motion, play-by-play of the events of the night he had murdered Dumbledore. Severus woke up in a cold sweat, with beads of perspiration running down his face. A calming draught would be in order. No matter that Dumbledore had beseeched Severus to murder him--to die on his own terms--Severus could not assuage his own guilt.

Finally Severus was permitted relief to rest his tormented mind. With the early morning, light would come...another day--another day of reliving the horror of his own death, and the conflicting feelings of his unexpected rebirth....and another day of answering those questions which Severus would have preferred to remain in the deep recesses of his mind...

-----

"Give Snape some time Harry--he's had a terrible shock," Hermione said consolingly.

Harry looked at her doubtfully, and jumped up from the couch angrily. "You heard him Hermione. He wants nothing to do with me," Harry said furiously. Disappointment washed over him once again, and he was having difficulty controlling his smouldering temper. It would take little to ignite the flames. What had he been thinking? How could he have ever entertained the idea that Snape would display undying gratitude towards him, for giving him a second chance?

Was Snape right? Had Harry been hoping for some sort of father and son relationship? Had he actually thought that Snape would be so overjoyed that Harry had used his Horcrux to return him from the Veil, that he would overlook the animosity that had defined their relationship over the past six years? How could I have been so naive? Harry wondered.

"You saw how mad he was at me Hermione," Harry pointed out. "Mad", was an understatement.

"No offence Harry, but Snape had every reason to be angry with you." She raised her hand to stop Harry's protests. "I warned you also, of the dangers of experimenting with Dark Magic." Hermione directed a stern look at Harry. "You took an awful risk Harry, and we still don't know if there are any delayed effects from Rebounding Magic."

"OK--maybe...but he was still a right bastard about the whole thing!" Harry grumbled.

"Humph...did you honestly think that Snape could ever be anything, but...mate," Ron inquired sarcastically.

"Yeah...I actually did," Harry said seriously. His opinion of Snape had improved drastically after viewing Snape's memories in the Pensieve. If truth be told, Harry's opinion of Snape had actually begun to change in his fifth year. After viewing his father’s...James’ treatment of Snape, and his mother's subsequent snubbing of Snape's apology, Harry had actually been quite disappointed in both James and his mum. James' behaviour was inexcusable, and atrocious, but his mum's refusal to accept Snape's apology for calling her a "Mudblood", also left Harry with bitter taste on his tongue. Harry had always wondered if maybe Lily's repudiation of Snape, had driven the professor further into Voldemort's fold. If his mum had shown some compassion and forgiveness towards Snape, and had not snubbed him for James--then perhaps Snape would have been less inclined to yield to the temptation of Dark Magic.

"Harry...like I said, Snape has just received a terrible shock,” Hermione went on. “He just needs time to come to terms with all that has happened. He experienced a violent and painful death, was returned from the Veil by none other than his estranged son, and by means of Dark Magic no less...and then finds out that the cruel, evil Master that he has served all of his adult life, has been vanquished." She looked at Harry sympathetically. "With time, he will come to realise the gift that you have given him, Harry," Hermione said gently.

Harry looked at her sceptically. "Yeah, and pigs’ll fly Hermione," Harry said sarcastically. "Snape is an ingrate and if I never have to speak to him again, I'll be happy. I can't believe that he's my father!" Harry said disgustingly. After the Final Battle, Harry had felt a strange desire to return to the Pensieve. He had wanted to see his parents again, or at least whom he had thought his parents were...and feel their warmth...their love

He had imagined that they would have been proud of him. He had known, of course, that they could not communicate with him, but, strangely enough, he had known that just seeing them would be enough. He had decided that it would be the last time that he would allow himself to wallow in memories...that he had to let go of the past...

"Neither can I mate!" Ron agreed.

Hermione glared at Ron, and shifted her intense gaze to Harry. "All I'm saying Harry, is--don't shut yourself off, and don't burn any bridges with your father. You both have said some very cruel things to each other, but they were said in anger, and I really don't think that Professor Snape meant what he said, anymore than you did, Harry."

"That's where you're wrong Hermione," said Harry icily. "I meant every word that I said--and if I never have to lay my eyes again on my father," he spit the word out distastefully, "I'll die a happy man."

With that Harry stormed out of the Common Room...just wanting to be alone...

----

Harry sat on the ledge of the Astronomy tower, gazing into the midnight sky that was speckled with glittering stars. He briskly rubbed his arms to warm himself; the bitter cold night air penetrated his thin t-shirt. I should have worn a jumper, he thought belatedly. He closed his eyes and sucked in a deep breath of the tangy, crisp air. How did everything go so wrong? I can't believe that I actually thought that Snape would be grateful to me for bringing him back from the Veil. He had been so certain that that was what Snape had wanted; that Snape himself had planned for his return because he had not wanted to die. How could he have misread the signs?

All the work...all the planning had been for naught. How could I have done something so incredibly stupid, he chastised himself. Snape must really think I'm a fool, he thought angrily. I should have known better than to think that Snape would ever consider me anything but a student who he had loathed for the past six years. But...Snape loved my mum, he reasoned--how could he feel nothing for me? How could he just ignore the fact that I'm his flesh and blood--that I'm Lily's son, the woman that he had loved deeply?

Another feeling began to join the resentment--rejection. Harry was used to feeling unwanted--he had spent his whole life feeling like he didn't belong. As if he was on the outside looking in, Harry wished that he could use a time-turner and undo the damage that he had done. Obviously, Snape had not wanted this, and Harry knew that he had made a huge error in judgement by bringing Snape back from the dead.

And he had used Dark Magic....Hermione had warned him of the dangers, but he hadn’t listened. Suddenly, a thrill of fear overtook him; what if Snape was right? What if I turn Dark? What if I can't control this growing anger that I feel is going to explode inside me soon? What is this strange desire that I have to wreak revenge, to hurt Snape like he's hurt me? I've got to stop thinking like this, he thought. No good can come of it. I've got to get on with my life, and think about my future. The school would re-open in a few days, and the students would return. Ginny would return...

Ginny...he hadn't considered her reaction to all this! She had remained with her parents at the Burrow, as they were having a difficult time coming to terms with Fred's death. What would she say when she found out that...not only was Snape Harry's father, but that Harry had used Dark Magic to return him from the Veil! He briefly considered not telling her--after all, it's not like Snape and he would suddenly announce their relationship to the world! Not bloody likely, he thought scathingly. But...as briefly as he entertained this thought, he rejected it. He did not want to start a relationship with Ginny...with lies and secrets. No--he would gather his Gryffindor courage, and tell her the truth. Merlin help him...

---

Severus opened his eyes and looked around the room in confusion; it took him several moments to realise where he was. As Severus cautiously lifted his aching body from the bed, a searing, excruciating pain shot through his head. He clenched his eyes shut for a few seconds. He was hit suddenly with the harsh reality of his situation. He had remembered lying on the floor of the Shrieking Shack thinking that it was over...that he could finally rest. The last few months before he had “died”, had been the most difficult of his life. He had felt like he was living someone else's life, as though he was an actor performing a part. An actor playing his final curtain call.

Now Severus must face his future...and make peace with the past. But though Severus had faced many hardships in the past, no matter how often he had faced the Dark Lord with bravery, Severus' stomach was churning wildly at the prospect of deciding his future. He could face what he was familiar with; he had been living on the edge for so long, that the prospect of normalcy seemed foreign to him. How did one cope with quiet and peace, when one was used to chaos and conflict?

He knew that there were many decisions to be made—like what to do with his life; his career to be more precise. Severus was really not inclined to return to teaching, as he had neither the patience nor the talent to impart knowledge on lazy, attention-deficient children who had no desire to learn. No...he would rather be tortured with the Cruciatius Curse, than to endure the likes of Neville Longbottom for even one more term. So what to do? He was a Potions Master, after all; perhaps he could procure a post at St. Mungos, or any of the other prestigious Wizarding Hospitals across Europe. Yes...he could perhaps even flee England altogether, for Germany or Russia, where a Potions Master with his distinguished credentials would be in great demand.

There was the small matter however...that before his unfortunate demise, he had been a wanted fugitive, sought after by every Auror and Ministry official in England, that had not been under the Imperius Curse. So, before he could make any life-changing decisions, he must ascertain his legal status within the Wizarding community. Again, he was faced with the dilemma of how to proceed... Perhaps the best course of action, would be to see if Dumbledore's portrait could enlighten him as to the events leading up to the defeat of the Dark Lord, and whether Severus' innocence had indeed been established since. Yes...a visit to the Headmaster would be first on his agenda.

---

“Severus!” Dumbledore exclaimed in shock. “Harry told me that you were ...gone...murdered by Nagini...I-I-don't understand.” Dumbledore twirled his beard and stared at Severus with dazed eyes.

“Yes...well, it would seem that my son had other ideas.” Severus sneered.

“Harry?” Dumbledore, asked in confusion, “I don't understand...what do you mean?” Dumbledore said with a puzzled expression.

Severus suddenly realised that he had placed himself in an awkward position by insinuating that he had indeed been deceased. Now...he had to decide whether to admit to Dumbledore his shameful, youthful indiscretions. Severus decided that at this point, he had no other choice but to relieve his burdened conscience.

“Albus...” Severus lowered his eyes in shame, and continued in a whisper-like voice... “While in the Dark Lord's service, the Dark Lord insisted that each of his followers create a Horcrux to assure our immortality.” Severus said hesitatingly. He looked up to see the disappointment, and shock in Dumbledore's gaze.

Mercifully, Dumbledore didn't ask Severus the dreaded question, didn't make him elaborate on whose blood was shed to create the Horcrux. Severus could never rid his mind, no matter how skilled an Occlumens he was, of the blood curdling screams of the children... the blood on his hands...Severus desperately attempted to push those horrific images out of his mind, but the Occlumency would only grant him a respite, for a time…

“Potter somehow discovered that not only am I his father, but that I had created a Horcrux. He decided for reasons that I have yet to comprehend, to implement Dark Magic to return me from the dead.” Dumbledore's jaw dropped. “Yes Albus...Harry Potter, Defender of the Light, Defeater of the most evil of Dark Wizards, Saviour of the Wizarding world, dabbled in Dark Magic so that he could be reunited with his estranged father.” Severus' tone dripped with sarcasm.

Dumbledore shook his head in disbelief. “Harry came to see me, as well Severus. He was quite upset with me for not revealing that you were his father. He had gone back into the Pensieve to view your memories, and it was obvious that he felt he had been cheated. Perhaps he was trying to recapture what he felt he had missed.”

Severus looked at Dumbledore, pain mirrored in his obsidian eyes. “Some things cannot be recaptured, Albus. You know that better than anyone,” he said bitterly.

Severus again felt the pang of regret and sorrow rise up from the deepest recesses of his mind. Severus was nothing if not pragmatic though, and years of discipline and conditioning would not allow him to wallow in self-pity. The past could not be changed, and he had accepted long ago that his destiny was to make amends for the sins of his past.

Severus had come to terms long ago, with the reality that the woman he had loved...had loved another...and that the chid that was his...he could not acknowledge. Severus also understood that the man before him was responsible for many of the sacrifices that he had had to make. However, Albus had also given him a precious gift in return...self-respect, and forgiveness...and for that Severus had pledged his undying loyalty to his mentor. Severus had never quite forgiven himself, unfortunately, and the lingering guilt over his part, albeit unintentionally, in Lily's death, would cling to his soul for the rest of his days...

“On to other matters Albus,” Severus said impatiently. “I need to know who is aware of my innocence, that is...other than yourself and Potter”

Dumbledore pondered his answer, and looked at Severus thoughtfully. “The Order members are all aware of course, as are the members of the faculty.” Dumbledore related the events leading up to and including Harry's final battle with Voldemort, and Harry's insistence that Severus had played a key role in his defeat of Voldemort.

Severus was taken aback. Frankly, he had not expected Potter to defend him so heartily after their mutual hatred for the past six years. Even after Albus had revealed their familial relationship, Severus had not relented in his resentment of Potter. This continued display of animosity towards the boy, had been due...partly out of necessity, and partly out of habit. He could not have shown even an ounce of pity for Potter, lest the Dark Lord become suspicious. As well, whether deserved or not, Potter had reminded him of James, both in his appearance and his demeanour.

Severus knew on a certain level that it was not fair to compare Potter to James, as he now knew that James was not Potter's father, however, the heart sometimes overrules logic, and Severus had not been able to readjust his mindset towards the boy. He had consoled his conscience by convincing himself that he had had no recourse but to display outright hostility towards the boy to appease The Dark Lord, and protect Potter.

“While Harry has vouched for your innocence Severus, there are some at the Ministry who are not convinced, and might require further proof. Perhaps agreeing to being interrogated while under the influence of Veritaserum, would sway the Ministry. Harry has already given his testimony, and the memories that you provided Harry with could also substantiate your claim of innocence.”

“There is also the matter of explaining my sudden return from the dead, Albus,” Severus pointed out. “I assume that it is common knowledge that the Dark Lord murdered me through the use of Nagini?” Severus inquired solemnly.

“Yes, when Harry told me, I then informed the remaining members of the Order, some of the faculty, and I had no choice but to alert the Ministry, since they were under the impression that as you were missing...your guilt was implied. But since we hadn't recovered your body as of yet, a story could easily be concocted along the lines of you had not having actually died, but were in a deep coma, and that you were nursed back to health, or something similar.”

Snape looked at the Dumbledore sceptically, but nodded his head in affirmation. “Very well then Albus, I will leave the explanations to the Ministry, and the others, in your capable hands before I make my presence known. After all...I wouldn't want to give anyone a shock when I nonchalantly reappear from the Veil,” Snape said scathingly.

“Yes...perhaps it is best that you keep a low profile until I have alerted all concerned, particularly the Ministry, and smooth the way for your return.” Dumbledore directed a sympathetic look at Severus before saying, “The Ministry may very well arrest you Severus, and ask questions later. Some members of the Wizenmagot, in particular, may not be so inclined to believe your innocence. They have been very reluctant in the past to believe that you were working for me as a spy, and were not a loyal follower of Voldemort. Hopefully since Shacklebolt is now acting as temporary Minister of Magic...he can smooth things over.”

“I realize that Albus; Potter has placed me in a very difficult position with his idiocy,” Severus said angrily.

“Now Severus, I'm sure the boy only had the best intentions at heart,” Dumbledore said, trying to placate the younger man.

“The road to hell is paved with good intentions Albus,” Severus sneered, “and I seriously doubt that the boy took a second to think about the insanity of his actions. I am hard pushed to believe that Potter is my son, when every step of the way, he acts before stopping to consider the danger that he is placing himself and everyone else in. He has never had any regard for the rules, and you certainly have not seen fit to control his reckless behaviour, in fact... you have only encouraged it,” Snape said with resentment.”

Dumbledore directed his startlingly blue gaze at Severus and said, “Give the boy a chance Severus; now that Voldemort is no longer a threat, perhaps you can finally take the time to get to know your son,” Dumbledore said soothingly.

“It is too late for that Albus...you have seen to that.” Severus turned an intense gaze at Dumbledore. “Potter and I both, harbour too much resentment and hostility to ever pursue a father and son relationship. There is no turning back Albus,” Snape said bitterly. “By keeping our relationship from us for so long, you have allowed us to foster an intense dislike to each other. That hatred cannot be erased with the sweep of a wand...just because you will it so, Albus,” Snape sneered.

“I am so sorry Severus, that I have placed both you and Harry in such a situation. It was not my intention to hurt either one of you,” Dumbledore said sadly. “I only wanted to protect you, and I truly regret any pain that I have caused you both.”

“As I said before Albus, the past cannot be changed, and I have no desire to revisit this conversation again in the future,” Snape said firmly. “Advise the Ministry, and whomever else you believe should know of my unfortunate return the Veil, and we will deal with the aftermath of this revelation, in whatever fashion we find necessary at that point in time.” Severus twirled around to make his exit, when his heart stopped at the sight before him...

McGonagall stood in the doorway, her pinched face, as white as a blanket of freshly fallen snow. Her dropped jaw and rigid frame, indicated to Severus that she had overheard at least some of their conversation. "Minvera...how long have you been standing there?" Severus asked cautiously.

"Long enough," she answered bluntly.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693