An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158617 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Conflict and Manipulation by Pandora
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

Many thanks to my beta ObsidianEmbrace, who somehow always seems to know just the right word or phrase that I'm looking for!

Severus stood stock still...he stared at Minerva with glazed eyes, wishing that the floor would open up and swallow him whole!

“So...Minerva--you overheard that Potter is my-” Snape hesitated. He pressed his fingers against his throbbing temple. This was not happening, he thought mournfully.

“Yes Severus....I did, and I must say that this comes as quite a shock." Indeed, McGonagall's pale face had drained of what little colour she had left.. "Although.... not as much of a shock as seeing you standing here before me...Albus had told us that you were dead!" she whispered. "I don't understand...how can you be Harry's father? What about James? And Harry knows about this? Oh, the poor dear; he must have been devastated".

Severus' head was spinning with her incessant questioning. She rattled on and on in her thick Scottish accent. He couldn't get a word in edgewise. "And what is this nonsense about a Horcrux?” Minerva inquired sternly.

Well so much for hoping that Minerva hadn't heard the whole conversation, Severus thought morosely. “Albus, would you care to do the explanations; I have some work to do if I'm to be prepared for interrogation by the Ministry.” Severus nodded to McGonagall, “Minerva, I ask that you do not reveal the news that I'm Potter's father, nor any other part of the conversation that you have overheard.”

“Of course Severus, but...we do have many matters to discuss when your innocence is established.”

Severus narrowed his eyes and looked at her suspiciously. He wondered what matters she was referring to. He had his suspicions, of course, but if she expected to be able to dissuade him of his plans to leave, in favour of teaching at Hogwarts, then she would be sorely disappointed. He had made up his mind, and when Severus Snape made a decision, he would remain firm in his resolve to adhere to it.

“Goodbye Minerva,” Snape said resolutely.

---

Harry remained at the Astronomy Tower, until exhaustion overcame him. He made his way back to the dorm, and flopped down on his bed. He could hear giggling coming from Ron's bed--the curtains were drawn. Harry shot up suddenly, his face heating up when he realized that Hermione was in Ron's bed. Mortified, he grabbed his pillow and blanket, and went to sleep on the sofa in the Common Room.

Staring at the flames hungrily licking the logs in the fireplace, Harry's mind wandered to thoughts of Ginny. Thinking of Ron and Hermione in Ron's bed, gave Harry a yearning to touch her soft skin, and kiss her tender lips. Tomorrow...he would finally see her.. It felt like a lifetime since he had held her in his arms; and although seeing her at Fred's funeral, would not be the most opportune moment to discuss their future, he couldn't dampen the thrill of excitement at the prospect of seeing her again..

He had been forced to set her free, for her own protection, but now that they were free from the wrath of Voldemort, they could freely declare their love. But would Ginny still want him? She had been devastated when he explained to her that they could not continue to see each other, and a little angry with him that he had taken off to search for Horcruxes.. Although...perhaps the anger was really because she was sick with worry about the danger that Harry, Ron and Hermione were putting themselves into.

Harry desperately hoped that Ginny hadn't decided to cut him loose, because frankly he wasn't quite sure if he could cope with any more heartache after the whole ordeal with Snape. It was going to be hard enough to deal with Fred's funeral, but...the day after was Tonks and Remus' funeral.

Harry just wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to feel anymore.

He felt elated, of course, because he was finally free from the evil monster who had stolen everything and everyone in his life that he had cherished.. He had made many errors in the fight against Voldemort, but he knew that even though letting Ginny go was the most difficult decision that he had ever had to make, it had been the right one. She was safe, and even if she never spoke to him again, Harry could at least revel in the fact that for once, he had taken the time to think about the consequences of his choices, and had not rushed blindly forward, putting others, and himself in danger.

Harry snapped back to reality as he wondered if this numbness that he was experiencing was normal. Voldemort was vanquished--Harry was, for the first time in seventeen years, free to live his life as he chose...and not be guided by circumstances. So why didn't he feel satisfied with the way his life had turned out; maybe there was something wrong with him? Why couldn't he just feel happy, why did he have to overanalyse everything? So what if Snape had rejected him? So what if his own father hated him? It wasn't like he wasn't used to being the target of Snape's ire, after all. So why did Harry feel as though a dagger was being slowly and painfully twisted into his heart, and shattering it to pieces...

Soon classes would resume, and he would be able to focus on his studies, Harry comforted himself. Yes...Harry desperately needed a distraction—to feel that his life had a purpose, and to allow himself to push the more painful memories beneath the surface of his conscious. Occlumency would really come in handy right about now, he thought ironically.

---

Severus disciplined his mind to tame his erratic emotions from erupting out of control. Albus, with McGonagall's help, had arranged a meeting in The Headmaster's office, with the temporary Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and two burley-looking Aurors, to interrogate him and administer the Veritaserum. Severus was immensely relieved that Kingsley Shacklebolt, who had been a member of the Order, was now acting as temporary Minister of Magic, since Scrimgeour had died. Seated at Dumbledore's desk, was a court stenographer, who reminded Severus of Rita Skeeter, with her Quick-Quotes Quill poised in mid-air, ready to record the details of the impending interrogation.

“Ah Severus my boy, please have a seat,” greeted Dumbledore cordially. He turned his gaze towards Shacklebolt and the two Aurors. “Why don't we get started Minister, so we can put this matter to rest...once and for all,” Dumbledore's portrait said wearily.

"Yes, of course Albus," Shacklebolt agreed..... He motioned for Severus to sit down. Severus realised that there would be many at the Ministry who would not be as easy as Shacklebolt to convince of his innocence, and that if they had their way...by the end of the day, Severus would be calling a cell in Azkaban, his new home..

"I am certain that Severus' innocence will be firmly established here today...once and for all," Dumbledore said with certainty. Dumbledore directed a pointed glance at the two Aurors, who did not look convinced. "Not only is Severus willingly subjecting himself to interrogation while under the influence of Veritaserum, we also have a Pensieve containing vital memories of myself and Severus, discussing strategic plans concerning Severus' spying duties"

"I am certain that Severus' testimony will be sufficient Albus," Shacklebolt said confidently.

"That may be so Minister, but I would feel more secure, if there were no more room for doubt about Severus' innocence.."

"Of course Albus," Shacklebolt agreed. "Let us proceed then." He then retrieved a phial from his robe pocket.

The tall, dark man uncorked the phial containing the clear liquid. He glanced at Severus apologetically, and proceeded to pour two drops of the Serum on Severus' tongue. Severus was enormously grateful that he had mastered the art of Occlumency so proficiently, because he could barely restrain himself from flinching when Shacklebolt moved towards him with the offending potion. The scene evoked painful memories for Severus...memories of a similar scene following Lily's death, where Severus' innocence had been also questioned. Severus had been so wracked with pain and guilt, that he had thought that he might willingly offer his soul to a Dementor...to end the agony of a world without Lily.

Severus felt his tongue loosen, and he swallowed his rising panic. He abhorred the feeling of not being in complete control of his emotions, but knew that it was pointless to fight against the potion's effects, and now, his deepest thoughts would be plain for all to see; his life would be an open book...

Shacklebolt began with simple questions. "What is your name? How old are you?" But then...the questions grew progressively more purposeful. "Were you ever a faithful follower of You Know Who? Is it true that you were a spy for the Light?" Shacklebolt pumped out the questions in staccato fashion, until the effects of the serum began to diminish, and Severus slowly regained complete control of his faculties. Finally, Shacklebolt ended the questioning, and proceeded to enter the Pensieve, to view Snape's memories...

---

When Shacklebolt exited the Pensieve, he looked as though it took considerable effort not to be ill. There were some very unpleasant, to put it mildly, memories of Voldemort's illicit activities, in which Snape had not participated directly but had provided valuable information to Dumbledore. In all the years that Shacklebolt had been an Auror, he had never hardened his heart to the pain and suffering he had witnessed.

"Well... Severus, I think that all is in order here. I am quite confident, that with Mr. Potter's affidavit swearing your loyalty, as well as the testimony witnessed here, that you will be cleared of all charges... I must, of course present the evidence to the Wizengamot, but I don't forsee any contest to my testimony. You will be owled official documentation shortly, validating your innocence." Shacklebolt turned to direct his gaze at Dumbledore's portrait. "I will be speaking with you soon Albus," Shacklebolt said as he stepped towards the Floo. The Aurors and the Court Stenographer proceeded to follow suit, but before grabbing a handful of Floo powder, Shacklebolt directed a knowing look at Snape, and said, "We'll be in touch." He then entered the fireplace with the others. With a hiss of a crackling log, and the lick of flames, they were swept up the Floo.

"That went rather smoothly, don't you think Severus?" Albus asked happily.

Severus threw Albus a filthy look, "Yes Albus, there is nothing more I would rather be doing than having someone administer a foul tasting potion, rip my mind apart and expose my deepest thoughts and feelings for all the world to view. Because of course, you know what a demonstrative person I am," Severus said sarcastically. He turned towards the door, and said over his shoulder, "It has been a pleasure Headmaster, but I think that I'll retire to my quarters and contemplate my future. Good evening Albus." As Severus exited the office, he was waylaid instantly by Minerva. His heart sank...Severus was definitely not in the frame of mind to deal with this.......not after the humiliation he’d just been subjected to.

"Severus, I was wondering if I could have brief word with you," Minerva appealed to him.

"I'm rather tired Minerva. This whole ordeal has been rather taxing. Perhaps another time." Severus attempted to pass by her, but she blocked his path, and put her hand on his chest to stop his movement.

"Severus, I realise that you have been through a lot, but it is imperative that I speak with you," she pleaded.....

"Very well...but please make it brief," Severus reluctantly conceded.

"Of course, Severus. Let's go to my office then."

They made their way to Minerva's office and she motioned for him to have a seat.

"I don't know if you're aware Severus, but the school will reopen in a few days. I am left with a dilemma however... Several professors have opted to leave, including Horace. I tried to persuade him to remain, but he was adamant that he had informed Albus that he would only remain for a year, and after the final battle, he was weary and wished to retire. So I was wondering if you would agree to teach both Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts, at least until I find a replacement for Horace. As well....” She looked at him hesitatingly “...I need a Deputy Headmaster, and there is no other professor who has the qualifications. As Head of House, and having been a Headmaster yourself, albeit for only a brief period of time, you are the most obvious choice."

Severus' jaw dropped. Not only did she expect him to return to teach his former post of Potions, and well as Defence, she wanted him to take on even more responsibilities? Severus shook his head firmly. "No Minerva, I do not wish to return to teaching, and I have made other plans."

McGonagall's expression hardened. "I am quite sure that you are under contract for at least the next five years Severus. I do believe that you owe it to your Slytherins, as well, not to abandon them. Not to mention your obligations to Harry." She looked at him sternly. "You have shirked your duties to him for the past two years Severus. You have tormented the poor boy mercilessly; it is about time that you made it up to him. Where would we all be if it weren't for him? You would be six feet under, and the rest of us would be under the control of an evil megalomaniac. No Severus...I will not allow you to inflict anymore pain on that boy. He needs someone. He is all alone now that his relatives have gone. They were re-located...for their own protection, because on Harry's seventeenth birthday, the blood wards would fall. Not that they were fit guardians anyway," she said disgustingly. Minerva had always had her suspicions about the Dursleys’ treatment of Harry, and had pleaded with Albus on many occasions to remove the boy from their care. But Albus had remained firm in his resolve to keep Harry there, on the premise that he needed the blood wards to keep him safe.

Severus looked at her strangely at this statement about his son's guardians. He--as well, had had some suspicions about their treatment of Potter, after viewing his memories during Occlumency lessons, but he had been too bitter and furious at Potter for having invaded his memories...to question it.

"He has no home Severus. He is only seventeen. He still needs guidance. Albus is but a portrait…Sirius and Remus are dead. Who else does he have?"

"I am far from a suitable father Minerva, and I have no interest in playing daddy to Harry Potter," Severus said disgustedly, taking no time to consider her words.

Severus felt warm, and he began to experience a suffocating feeling of being on unfamiliar territory. It was absurd. He just could not imagine himself as a father. Even after Albus had informed him, Severus was able to continue pretending that their genetic relationship didn't exist.. After all...the news didn't really change anything.......did it? Severus still had to act as though Potter was an enemy to him. After five years of loathing the boy, it was not a difficult feat. As time passed...Severus had managed to push the knowledge completely to the back of his mind.

Eventually, Severus had convinced himself that Albus had been wrong, and that the brat really was Potter's son, after all. It did not matter that Albus had provided proof of paternity, by way of a blood test administered to both Harry and Severus, without their knowledge. Albus knew that one day, he would need the evidence, because he knew that Severus was a very stubborn man, and would refuse to see the truth. Albus had, of course, hoped that the day would never come that he would have to reveal their familial relationship. It really didn't fit in with his plans, but he needed the proof, just in case...

"Severus!" Minerva admonished firmly. "He is your son!"

"I refuse to discuss my private business with you Minvera. The discussion is closed." Severus said in a steely voice. "You leave me no choice to return to my former position as Professor. I will agree to teach both Potions and Defence against the Dark Arts for the time being, until you find a suitable replacement. But as far as being Deputy Headmaster...I have no interest in-"

McGonagall interrupted, "You will have more authority Severus, and, as well--an increase in salary. There is some minimal paperwork that I need your help with, but other than that, your duties will not be substantially increased. As well...I am quite sure that the appointment of the position will serve to inspire confidence of our faith in your loyalty and innocence, within the wizarding community."

She should have been in Slytherin, Severus thought disdainfully. She had manipulated him quite thoroughly, he realised with panic. "Very well Minerva, I will agree to all your terms. However...you will agree to keep out of my private affairs. As well, you will find a replacement for the Potions position. I doubt that I will have the time to continue teaching both subjects, continue with my duties as Head of House, and assume the responsibilities attached to being Deputy Headmaster."

"Of course Severus.....as I said though, the position is mostly as figurehead, and does not require a lot of extra work. I do appreciate the help though, as I am rather exhausted from all the work that was required to repair the extensive damage to the Castle. Take the next couple of days to rest Severus, and we will discuss further, your new responsibilities...at a later date."

Severus lifted himself up wearily from the sofa. "Goodbye Minerva, we will speak soon," he said with a curt nod of farewell.

Upon departing Minerva's office, Severus couldn't help wondering what the hell he had gotten himself into. All his well-thought out plans for the future had just been discarded like rubbish. Furthermore, Severus had a sickening feeling that Minerva had not exhausted her efforts to reunite him with his estranged son...

To be continued...
End Notes:
Note: Due to Lesley's keen observations of an oversight on my part, I have decided to make some changes to Chapter 3, and include these changes in Chapter 4. I would like to keep this story as true to Canon as possible, and that is why I have decided make these alterations.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693