An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158636 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Cruel To Be Kind by Pandora
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All characters belong to J.K. Rowling of course!

Thank you ObsidianEmbrace for betaing this chapter, and for the benefit of learning from your experience and talent.

The next few days passed in a blur for Harry. Fred’s, Remus’ and Tonk's funerals had been predictably difficult, but having Ginny by his side throughout the traumatic events, gave him the strength and courage to trudge onward. Harry realised forlornly that things were not about to get any easier either, as today the school was reopening, and he would have to face Snape again. He had somehow managed to avoid the man during the past few days, but now that classes were about to begin, that luxury would end.

Harry was again reminded of just how alone in the world he was. If not for Ginny, Ron and Hermione, Harry wasn't quite sure that he would be able to hold it together. That feeling of being alone in the desert without water, returned and Harry tried to keep the image of Ginny fresh in his mind to spur him on. He donned his school robes and went to meet the Hogwarts Express. Ron and Hermione had stayed behind at the Burrow after the funeral and decided to all take the train together. Harry, of course had been invited to stay, but he had declined as he knew that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had a full house already, and needed their privacy right now.

In all honesty, Harry needed some space right now to deal with his own problems, and frankly the solemn atmosphere of the Burrow, was too oppressive for him to handle. The only drawback of remaining at the castle, was the constant effort of avoiding Snape. Harry was not looking forward to having to see Snape in class. Harry wasn't quite sure how Snape would behave either. Oh...he knew that the man would be detestable to him;that was one constant he could rely upon, but the nature of that taunting was what had Harry worried. Harry was just grateful that only a handful of people knew of his relationship with Snape.

Of course Harry had been relieved when he had seen in the Daily Prophet that Snape had been cleared of all charges. No matter how livid he was with the man, he would not have wished for Snape to be still thought of as a murderer and traitor. Whether Snape appreciated Harry's gratitude or not, the fact remained that Harry would not have been able to defeat Voldemort without Snape's help. If Harry were truthful with himself, he would admit that despite Snape's anger, he still did not regret what he had done. His only regret was having been so naive in thinking that Snape would actually look upon him as a son, and be grateful for returning him from the Veil.

----

Severus woke up the next morning feeling as though a wild herd of hippogriffs had trampled over his head. Severus was quite unaccustomed to this physical reaction, to what would be referred to, if it were anyone else, as nerves. The fluttering in the pit of his stomach, the sweaty palms, and the rapidly beating heart, were foreign to the usually stoic Severus Snape. He had never thought that he could be so intimidated by mere children, but the thought of facing those dunderheads again, was making the unflappable Severus Snape quake in his black boots. Not because he feared them, per se, but because he knew that there were those whose parents were on the side of the light, who would still question his loyalty, regardless that he had been exonerated from all guilt by the Ministry. Students from his own house, would be well-divided as well. There would be those students whose friends and loved-ones had perished in the battle, and would be quick to blame Severus for his betrayal. Of course, there were those Slytherins whose parents had been enslaved and manipulated by the Dark Lord, and had been just as relieved as those on the side of the light, when he had been defeated.

Severus was certain that Draco at least had learned a valuable lesson from this whole ordeal, and if at least one of his Slytherins were saved from a Dark future, then all this pain and suffering had been well worth it. From what Dumbledore had explained to Severus, Naricissa had been instrumental in assuring the Dark Lord's downfall. It was due to her subterfuge that Potter had been able to fool the Dark Lord into thinking that he had successfully murdered him, thus enabling Potter to have the benefit of surprise when he suddenly returned from the dead to face the Dark Lord, in their last duel to the death. Potter had spoken on her behalf to the Ministry, and she had been granted leniency due to her betrayal of the Dark Lord. She had escaped the fate of her husband, who had been sentenced to five years in Azkaban, which in actuality was rather a mild sentence, considering how deep his involvement in the Dark Lord's circle had been. Knowing how soft Potter is, he probably pleaded for leniency on Lucius' behalf as well, Severus thought acidly.

There was no escaping the reality that managing his Slytherins would not be an easy feat either. There would be a battle of loyalties, within his own house as well, of that he was sure. It would take much discipline and patience to reunite his house, and Severus would have to change his own past behaviour to ensure that. Severus no longer gave a fig about loss of house points, or incurring favour with the children of Death Eaters to please the Dark Lord. No, Severus was going to have to find a delicate balance between disciplinarian, and mentor with his Slytherins. Having allowed them much license to do as they pleased in the past, it would be quite a shock for them when Severus put his foot down and no longer allowed them to run wild. He would, of course, make it be known that he was there for them, and he would fight tooth and nail to assure that they were not discriminated against by the other Houses, due simply to their House affiliation, but gone were the days where he would show them favour in class.

Yes, it would be quite a rude awakening for his Slytherins, when he actually deducted House points from them for the first time. On second thought...perhaps there were other ways to punish them without taking points from Slytherin. Well...maybe showing a little favour towards my Slytherins wouldn't hurt, he justified to himself.

Severus donned his long black teaching robes, and reluctantly made his way to the Great Hall. He felt as though he was on his way to the gallows.

---

As Harry entered the Great Hall, the buzz of conversation around him, ceased and all eyes were pinned on him. He hadn't considered the general reaction of the student body to his presence. He had been too consumed with his own feelings of inadequacy and shame concerning Snape to give a thought to what life after Voldemort would be like. Ginny, whose hand Harry had been holding, squeezed his as a show of support, and the two sat beside Ron and Hermione at the Gryffindor table. Harry's first impression upon entering the Great Hall, had been that the tables were smaller, and there were fewer students. The most remarkable difference however was the atmosphere at the Slytherin table. Draco was sitting alone looking apathetic and uncomfortable, and the rest of the Sytherins were divided into groups. There were some who awarded Harry with an appreciative smile, and others who glared at him spitefully. Harry felt shivers down his spine, when he realized that they looked as though they wanted to murder him. He hadn't stopped to consider that maybe life after Voldemort's defeat wouldn't be so peaceful, after all.

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry caught sight of Snape entering the Great Hall with a sweep of his black robes. He really does look like a giant bat, Harry thought maliciously. Their eyes locked and Harry couldn't help shuddering as the cold obsidian eyes bore into his. How could I have ever imagined this man to be capable of human emotion? Harry thought bitterly. He had been certain that Snape's behaviour during the past two years had been an act. Harry had fooled himself into believing that once Snape had discovered that he was Harry's father that he had only reluctantly continued to be a complete git towards him. Harry had been so certain that because Snape had been so deeply in love with his mum, that he would have been overjoyed to have discovered that their union had produced a child, even if that child was Harry. Harry pulled his eyes away from that hurtful stare, and spent the rest of the meal attempting to absorb the conversation around him.

Hermione and Ginny exchanged worried glances, and attempted to draw Harry into the conversation. Eventually they gave up their futile attempts. Hermione's heart was heavy with guilt. She had agreed to this whole scheme because Harry had seemed so certain that Snape would have wanted to return from the Veil, and that is why he had created the Horcrux to begin with. Hermione had also suspected at the time, that Harry had been feeling vulnerable and lonely, and although he would never have admitted it, he had been hoping that Snape would be able to provide him with the family that Harry had always been denied growing up. She knew that Harry had always kept his feelings close to his heart; ironically he shared this trait with his father.

While Harry had never outright admitted to having been abused or neglected by the Dursleys, Hermione knew of at least one incident where Harry's uncle had starved him, and put bars on his window. Harry had never seemed anxious to return home for the holidays, like the majority of the other students, and very rarely spoke of his life away from Hogwarts. Typical behaviour of a child who had been abused, she had concluded.

Now...Hermione was worried about her best friend, who had been like the brother she had always yearned for. She was determined to help Harry through this ordeal, and maybe, just maybe, there was a way to convince Snape that he should give his son a chance; that he owed Harry for all the misery that he had put him through. Hermione sighed; she peeked a look at the reserved Potions master, and examined his harsh features, looking for a trace...any trace of compassion in those lines and crevices. Convincing this stern man to open his heart, and let Harry in would be a daunting task indeed, she thought sadly.

----

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please." McGonagall 's voice echoed loudly throughout the Great Hall. All eyes turned to the tartan-clad witch expectantly. "I would like to welcome everyone back to Hogwarts, and also thank all the students and staff who have helped with the restoration of the Castle. We have all been through a terrible ordeal, but we have our freedom due to the courage and determination of Harry Potter." There were a few snickers from the Slytherin table, but the majority of the Slytherins and students from the other Houses began clapping profusely, and McGonagall looked fondly at Harry, whose face flushed with embarrassment. "I must say also, that I am very proud of each and every one of you for joining together, regardless of what House you may belong to, to protect the castle and defend your fellow students and teachers against the threat of Voldemort. We will be having a celebration to honour Mr. Potter, and every one of you who have so courageously defended Hogwart's honour.” McGonagall declared proudly. “I will give further details at a later date”.

McGonagall lowered her voice, and fought to maintain her usual reserved demeanor. “I would also like to extend condolences to all those who have lost loved ones," she said solemnly. "They will forever be remembered for giving their lives to protect our freedom and our future.”

Harry exchanged glances with the others at the Gryffindor table and he knew that they were thinking of Fred and Colin, among others who had fought so bravely, without thought to their own safety. If it hadn't been for Ginny and his closest friends, Harry thought that his heart might break with grief and heartache. He swallowed the lump in his throat, and again clasped Ginny's hand, as though their shared strength would envelope them both. Ginny squeezed Harry's hand, and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Before your schedules are handed out, I have a few announcements to make. There are several notable changes to the teaching staff. Professor Slughorn has sadly decided to retire, thereby leaving the Potions class without an instructor.” McGonagall paused hesitantly. She knew that the news she was about to impart would not be well received, but she was determined to show her faith in Severus by giving him this responsibility. “However, Professor Snape has graciously agreed to fill the post temporarily, as well as continuing to teach Defence Against the Dark Arts.” There was a smattering of applause, mostly from the Slytherin table, but it was apparent that the general consensus was of displeasure at this unwelcome news.

Harry stared at McGonagall in shock. She could not possibly be serious about this. What the hell was she playing at? He thought dazedly. Harry's hands were becoming moist and he licked his parched lips. How the hell was he going to face this man day in and day out? Having to deal with Snape for one class was bad enough, but Harry couldn't fathom how he would manage to endure their forced interaction twice a day. It wasn't as though Harry would be able to drop either of those classes either...not if he wanted to be an Auror, that is. These two disciplines were absolute prerequisites for entry into the Auror program at the Ministry.

Harry's day was not about to get any better, because McGonagall was not finished dropping her little bombshells.

“As well, Professor Snape has accepted my invitation to become my deputy Headmaster. With his experience as Headmaster and many years as Potions master, and Professor at Hogwarts, his experience will be invaluable. Please join me in congratulating Professor Snape,” McGonagall said hopefully.

Oh no...no...no...no! This must be a nightmare from which he will surely wake up from, very soon, Harry thought anxiously.

There were many shocked expressions and dropped jaws throughout the Great Hall. Hermione composed herself rather quickly, and began clapping. Draco and a few other Slytherins followed suit, and soon most everyone was clapping, albeit reluctantly. Harry, on the other hand just shook his head dazedly, and kept repeating to himself over and over again that this was just an hallucination, and it was not real. Unfortunately, that little part of Harry's brain that was firmly entrenched in reality, would not accept that explanation, and was causing Harry to tremble uncontrollably and his vision to tunnel. Ron slapped him on the back to stop him from hyperventilating.

“Are you alright mate?” Ron asked concernedly. His friend's face was devoid of colour, and Ron was worried that Harry would slump to the floor in a faint! How much bad news could a chap take in one day? Ron asked himself morosely.

“I'll be alright if you just tell me that McGonagall didn't just announce that Snape was going to be Deputy Headmaster,” Harry said shakily.

“I wish I could Harry, believe me...I wish I could,” Ron said dejectedly.

Snape looked quite smug after this announcement, and Harry shivered at the implications of what a Snape with more power at his disposal could mean for him.

“One more item on the agenda ladies and gentlemen,” McGonagall interrupted the belly-aching and protests that the last announcement had produced. McGonagall had a sneaking suspicion that the next disclosure would not elicit a better response. “Since this term had been interrupted, and we lost several weeks due to renovations on the castle, we must find a way to make up for any missed schoolwork,” McGonagall said firmly.

As expected, this little bit of good news only further added to the whining and lamentingwhich had ensued with the previous shocking revelations.

“Silence!” She interrupted in a loud, firm voice.

The students reluctantly quieted down, and looked at the Headmistress forlornly. They were quite certain that anything that would come out of the stern witch's mouth from this point onward, would not be news that would be welcome at all.

“As I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted,” she said in a hard tone, “for the next several weeks, the professors in each class will be proceeding at an accelerated pace, just until such time as each instructor feels that the students are up-to-date with the required curriculum. I realise that this news is unpleasant, but you must understand that your professors want you to be prepared for whatever exams pertain to your year. This preparation is particularly important for O.W.L., and N.E.W.T. level students. I'm sure that I can count on your understanding in this matter. As well...there are several students who have not been present at all during this term.” Here McGonagall directed a pointed glance at Harry, Ron and Hermione. “Therefore, any such student is welcome to come to myself or Professor Snape and we will arrange additional tutoring for those subjects that the student is having difficulty with.”

Ron and Harry exchanged looks. They both knew that for the next several weeks, they would be inundated with studies, leaving them little time for extracurricular activities such as Quidditch, and romance! Hermione, of course, would need no such help in catching up with her schoolwork, and looked indignant that Professor McGonagall would entertain such a thought!

“Please remember that all members of the staff are always at your disposal, no matter the problem, to make this transition as easy as possible. Now please proceed to the Main Hall, where your year Prefects will be handing out your schedules. I wish you all a safe and happy term.” McGonagall said with finality.

As the students and staff slowly started to exit the Great Hall, but Harry hung back... wanting a word with McGonagall.

“Go on ahead of me,” he nodded to Ginny Ron and Hermione. “I need to speak with McGonagall.”

“Are you alright Harry?” Ginny touched his arm lightly, and looked at him worriedly. She knew that he must be in shock over McGonagall's news. Merlin, was this McGonagall's idea of a joke? Ginny knew that Snape was innocent, but making him Deputy Headmaster? Why on earth would McGonagall do such a thing?

“Yeah, I'm alright Gin,” Harry said wearily. “I just need to clear up a few things with McGonagall...that's all. I'll see you later.” Harry wanted desperately to pull Ginny into his arms, but since they were still in a public place, he restrained himself reluctantly. He settled for a quick peck, but when his lips briefly touched hers, it was torture not to prolong the kiss into a long passionate one. He sighed as he watched her leave, and was determined to catch up with her later, and make up for lost opportunity!

Harry managed to waylay McGonagall before she slipped out the back door. He had wanted to wait until Snape was out of sight, and when he saw the billow of black robes glide out the door, he pounced on her immediately.

“Uh...Professor—Can I have a word with you,” Harry asked hesitantly.

“Of course Mr. Potter. What can I do for you?” McGonagall looked at Harry expectantly.

“Well, it's about...uh...I mean...uh, it's about Professor Snape,” Harry blurted out nervously. He wasn't quite sure how he was going to approach the subject uppermost in his mind. Should he tell her about his relationship with Snape, or did Dumbledore inform her already? What would be her motive for making Snape Deputy Headmaster? Harry was quite sure that she would not appreciate him questioning her decision.

McGonagall interrupted his musings. “Mr. Potter, you are going to be late for class, and I will be as well. I'll save you the trouble however, as I'm quite certain I know what is on your mind. I'll cut to the chase; I know that Professor Snape is your father. I also realise that you may be questioning my decision to make your father Deputy Headmaster.”

“Please do not call him my father Professor,” Harry said through gritted teeth. “He has made it quite clear that he doesn't want anything to do with me. Uh...Professor, was it Professor Dumbledore who told you about Snape?

McGonagall looked at him sternly. “It is Professor Snape, Potter. He deserves your respect. He is now Deputy Headmaster of this school, your Professor, as well as your father!” She admonished him firmly. “I overheard Professor Dumbledore and Professor Snape speaking, and that is how I found out about your familial relationship, Potter.” She looked at him sadly. “I know that things are a little strained between the two of you Mr. Potter, but give him some time; he'll come round eventually.”

“No Professor! No disrespect intended...but I think that you're way off on this. He hates me just as much as he always has, and I don't understand,” Harry said sadly. “I thought that he loved my mum. I'm his son-” Harry choked on his tears. “I don't think he'll ever change his mind.”

McGonagall looked at Harry sympathetically, and then did something rather out of character for the cool and composed witch. She put one hand on Harry's shoulder and gently lifted his chin with her other hand. “Do you trust me, Potter?” she asked softly, as she looked deeply into Harry's sad emerald eyes.

Harry looked at her in confusion. “Wh-a-at do you mean Professor?” Harry asked hesitatingly.

“Mr. Potter, your father is not a demonstrative man. He was a spy for many years and has not lived an easy life. He has seen horrors that few of us can even imagine. Your father is a strong, brave man, but he is not a man who shows weakness. He has been conditioned to keep his emotions at bay, and to keep his secrets close to his chest. This is what has kept him alive...what has kept him sane. Trust me to know I'm doing, Potter. I'm working on your father, but I need you to bear with me, and don't fight against me.”

“But Professor, why did you have to make him Deputy Headmaster?” Harry whined. “He's going to be on my case even more now. He'll abuse his power!”

“Mr. Potter, you will simply have to stay out of trouble for once in your life, and you'll have nothing to worry about,” she said with a touch of humour. “Now, be off with you, or you will be late for class,” McGonagall said sternly.

“But Professor, I-” Harry pleaded.

“Mr. Potter, go to class, now!” McGonagall said in a hard voice.

“Yes M'am,” Harry said dejectedly.

Harry caught up to Hermione and Ron as they were standing in line to receive their schedules.

“Harry, where have you been?” Hermione asked worriedly. “First class starts in fifteen minutes. We'll have to rush down to the dungeons pretty quickly now,” she scolded him.

“What did you say?” Harry squeaked. “The dungeons? Our first class is Potions? NO! Can this day get any worse?” he complained.

As Harry was handed his schedule, his heart sunk as he saw that Hermione had indeed been correct that his first class was double potions with the Slytherins. Harry was beginning to wonder if maybe dabbling in Dark Magic had somehow cursed him.

“Well goodbye mate,” Ron said, slapping Harry on the back. “You should've dropped Potions while you had the chance, like me!

Harry glared at him. Hermione glared at him. Ron's smile dropped, and he sheepishly waved goodbye, and left Hermione and Harry staring after him.

They looked at each other solemnly, and Hermione said, “It won't be so bad Harry, cheer up.”

“Whatever you say Hermione,” Harry said skeptically.

Harry and Hermione rushed down to the dungeons breathlessly in an attempt to be on time. Of course, fate was not on their side.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693