An Uncertain Future by Pandora
Summary: After the final battle, Harry goes back into Snape's memories. What he finds, shocks him and turns what should have been his happiest days, into a living hell.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Shacklebolt, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity
Prompts: Post-DH Sevitus
Challenges: Post-DH Sevitus
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 157605 Read: 158634 Published: 27 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2012
Downward Spiral by Pandora
Author's Notes:
All Characters belong to the most esteemed J.K. Rowling.

Thanks again to my beta ObsidianEmbrace for all her hard work.

By the time Harry finished writing all five-hundred lines, his hand was cramped and he was wishing with all his heart that he was an orphan again!

Harry resisted the urge to throw the parchment in Snape's face, when he informed the professor that he was finished with his lines.

“You may leave Potter, but you will report to my Potions classroom immediately after dinner tommorrow night. I'm sure that I can cook up something productive for you to do,” Snape added nastily.

Harry just glared at Snape and stalked out of the office.

----

Harry glanced at his watch. It was five minutes until curfew. The bloody git probably timed it purposely so that I would get caught out after curfew, so he could add on a few more detentions, Harry thought bitterly.

Harry hurried up the charmed staircase, taking two stairs at a time. He arrived breathlessly in the Common Room, and was instantly greeted by Hermione, Ron and Ginny; they were all looking at Harry with concern.

Ginny took in Harry's bleary eyes and dark circles. “Have you been with Snape all this time?” She asked, worriedly.

“Yeah,” he grunted.

“Oh Harry-” Hermione began.

Harry glared at Hermione. “Save the lecture Hermione. I really can't deal with it right now.”

Hermione looked at Harry apologetically. “I'm sorry, but what happened with Snape?”

“The bloody git gave me detention until the end of term, that's what!” Harry said furiously.

“Oh, I'm so sorry Harry,” Ginny said sympathetically and took his hand, leading him to sit on the couch before the fire.

The flames from the fire flickered, illuminating Ginny's pretty face in a warm glow. Harry put his arms around Ginny and pulled her close to him on the couch. Behind him, Ron and Hermione took their cue and discreetly wandered off. Ginny and Harry had the Common Room to themselves, surprisingly enough and they took advantage of it. Harry wished desperately that they were anywhere but at Hogwarts right now.

Harry gazed into Ginny's eyes. “I'm sorry I acted like an arse earlier. I was really out of line. I've just been a little irritable over this whole Snape thing.”

Ginny brushed Harry's fringe away from his eyes, and softly cupped his face. “I love you Harry.”

Harry's eyes widened. They had never come right out and said the words, but each knew that there was an intangible force drawing the two of them together; as if an invisible magnet made it impossible for them to be apart--but love? Well...they had never admitted out loud that their feelings ran that deeply.

Harry swallowed the lump in his throat. “I-I-uh...love you too,” he finally spit out. He looked at Ginny shyly. Harry didn't know why it was so hard to say those particular words to someone. Maybe it was because he had never had anyone to say them to. He had certainly never had anyone say it to him. Oh...he was sure that his pa-uh...well at least his mum, maybe even James had said it to him. James would have to have loved him to die for him...wouldn't he have? But aside from them, no one had said it to him that he could remember.

The Dursleys had said it to Dudley numerous times, but never to Harry. But surely what he felt for Ginny was love? At least that’s what he thought it was when you had to be with someone every waking minute and couldn't live without them. Yeah...if the goosebumps, sweaty palms, rapid heartbeat, and other body parts that reacted of their own volition at her mere presence and touch, were anything to go by. Harry gently wrapped his arms over Ginny's shoulders and they lay down beside each other on the couch, simply basking in the warmth of the fire.

They fell asleep that way, and woke with the early morning light softly bathing the room. Ginny was the first to wake, and gently shook Harry awake. He opened his eyes groggily; a little confused about where he was, but when Ginny handed Harry his glasses that had somehow fallen off his face onto the floor, and his eyes focused on Ginny, he was quite delighted to discover Ginny snuggled up next to him. Harry leaned forward and gently kissed her sweet lips.

The Common Room was quiet due to the early hour. Harry figured that it must have been only about five o'clock in the morning. Harry and Ginny knew though, that very soon that the room would be inundated with students getting ready for the day's classes. As neither wished to be discovered in a comprimising situation, Harry and Ginny gave in to one last passionate display of lust and hastily jumped up off the couch and righted their clothes. They exchanged a look of regret and Ginny bent down to retrieve the bookbag that she had carelessly thrown to the floor the night before and swung it over her shoulder.

She grabbed a shocked Harry by the collar and kissed him soundly. “Gotta go back to my dorm, before everyone wonders where I've been and then I'd have some explaining to do.” She winked at Harry and sauntered off...swinging her hips provocatively as she went.

Harry stood, open-mouthed at Ginny's departing figure. Well...a certain part of her figure!

----

Harry just knew that he was still blushing when he entered the great hall. He made a show of acting as though he hadn't seen Ginny since last night, but as Ron knew darned well that Harry had never made it to his bed last night, he gave Harry a knowing look and grinned.

Harry rolled his eyes, gave Ginny a peck on the lips and took his seat quickly, so as not to attract more attention than was necessary. Harry had already noticed that he was the object of many stares and whispers and rather thought that it was odd that so many people cared that he was giving his girlfriend a kiss.

Hermione, who was perusing the Daily Prophet, suddenly looked up, the colour draining from her face. “Oh no. Oh no..no...no. I can't believe this!”

Ron leaned over, glanced at the newspaper and began choking on his eggs.

Ginny and Harry looked at each other in concern. “What is it Hermione? What's wrong?” Harry probed.

“Oh Harry! I don't know how they found out, but-” Hermione hesitated.

Harry's stomach flip-flopped. “Found out what?” he asked, with a sinking feeling.

“They found out that-” Hermione looked at Harry regretfully, “they found out that Snape is your father.”

“What?” Harry snatched the paper away from a startled Hermione.

At that moment, Harry wished more than anything that the floor would open up and swallow him whole. There...on the front page of the Daily Prophet...for all the world to see, in living motion was a picture of Harry, shortly after Voldemort's defeat, and a rather seedy looking picture of Snape with an angry expression on his face. Harry thought they captured the essence of the man quite well. What was most shocking...were the headlines:

FORMER DEATHEATER TURNED SPY – HARRY POTTER'S FATHER? – by Rita Skeeter.

An anonymous source at Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardy has confirmed that SeverusSnape is Harry Potter's father. Professor Snape was recently cleared of all charges of conspiracy and Death Eater activity. Ironically, it was Harry Potter who testified on Professor Snape's behalf.

The same source has also informed us that the relationship between the Saviour of the Wizarding World and his father is strained and volatile. Mr. Potter and his estranged father have never been onthe best of terms and it would seem that their familial relationship has not changed this. Or is it all an act?

Mr. Potter...or is it now Mr. Snape? Did staunchly defend his father against allegations that he had betrayed and murdered Albus Dumbledore. The source goes on to say....

Harry groaned and put his head in his hands. This just can't be happening! Can this day get any worse?

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw a flash of black swoop over him, felt a strong hand fist the back of his robes and then he was being dragged, out the door and down the corridor.

If Harry had had the presence of mind, or even the capacity to look back, he would have seen every student and staff alike, staring after him with a look of utter shock on their faces.

-----

Between screaming obscenities at his captor and having said captor drag him bodily down the hall, into his office and plonking him forcefully into a chair, Harry was attempting to make sense of it all.

“Just what the hell did you think you were doing?” A loud furious voice jolted Harry to attention.

Harry directed a hateful look at Snape. “What the hell are you on about Snape?”

Severus' eyes flashed dangerously. “I. Told. You. To. NEVER. Refer. To. Me. That. Way.”

“What the hell are you on about, sir?” Harry said through gritted teeth.

Snape leaned closer, putting an arm on either side of the chair. He was so close that Harry could feel Snape's hot breath on his cheek.

“You know damned well what I'm talking about, Potter,” Snape hissed.

“Enlighten me...why don't you, Professor,” Harry snapped back.

“You just couldn't wait to run to Skeeter, could you?” Snape lifted himself up to his full height. “ What? You couldn't get what you wanted, so you thought you could get revenge? Thought you could humiliate me?” Severus ranted.

Harry stared at Snape in shock.

“It wasn't enough that you experimented with Dark Magic to bring me back from the dead, without a thought as to what I might have wanted.” Snape narrowed his eyes and glared at Harry. “No. You had to go announce to the whole damned world that I'm your-”

Harry jerked himself out of the chair, clenching his fists tightly. “Are you out of your bloody mind?” he screeched. “Do you honestly think that I'd want the whole damned world to know that you're my father? You've made it perfectly clear how you feel about me; why would I want everyone to know that my git of a father doesn't want me?”

Harry's voice caught in his throat.

“I think that my mother would be ashamed of you. James was more of a father to me than you'll ever be.”

With those departing words, Harry turned, and slipped silently out the door.

My mother would be ashamed of you...Lily would be ashamed of you.

Severus stood in the same spot, staring at the closed door...long after Harry had left.

--

Harry made his way hasitly up to the Common Room to grab his bookbag. How he was going to get through this day... Harry had no idea.

He was breathless by the time he caught up to Hermione.

Hermione studied Harry's pale face anxiously. “Harry, are you all right?”

“Yeah, I'm fine,”Harry snapped impatiently; he was still fuming over Snape's accusations.

“Did Snape hurt you?” Hermione asked anxiously.

Harry looked at her in surprise. “No, of course not. Snape may be a git, but I don't think that he would ever really hurt me.”

Hermione sighed in relief. “Oh, it's just with the way that he dragged you off and all and he seemed so angry-”

“Hermione, can we please just drop it?”

Hermone shot a worried glance at her friend. “Alright...let's get to class,” she agreed reluctanly.

Harry kept his head down as they walked into Potions class. Harry had no desire whatsoever to see Snape and attempted to make himself invisible. Of course with Snape that was a useless ploy.

“What do you know? Mr. Potter and Miss Granger have actually decided to grace us with their presence and on time for once.” Snape sneered.

Harry lifted his head up and glared at Snape.

Harry noticed that most of the class was darting glances between Snape and himself. Harry could hear snatches of “His father? Snape is Potter's father?.”

Snape, of course, put an end to it immediately. “Silence,” he bellowed. “The bell has rung, has it not? I will not tolerate mindless chatter when my class is in session. You will now hand in your homework assignments from yesterday. Anyone that has failed to complete the assignment, will serve detention with me this evening,” Snape said maleovantly.

Harry was seething. The prat knew damned well that Harry and Hermione weren't in class yesterday, because the git had bloody well thrown them out!

Snape stood before Harry, crossing his arms and looking down his hooked nose disdainfully at him. . “Well,Potter?” he demanded, holding out his hand expectantly. “Have you completed your assignment?

“You know damned well I didn't Snape, since you threw us out of class yesterday,” Harry said through gritted teeth. Harry could see Hermione next to him vigourosly shaking her head. He ignored her.

Snape swooped down on Harry so quickly that Harry jerked back violently, hitting his head against the back of his chair.

“I warned you about respect,” Snape hissed. He loomed over Harry menacingly.

Oh...I do apologise, sir,” Harry replied in a sickeningly sweet drawl. “I didn't do my assignment because you saw fit to throw me out of class, deduct a hundred points from Gryffindor, and basically act like a bloody wanker, sir.”

Harry knew he had gone too far when he noticed the vein in Snape's temple pulsing.

“Stay after class, Potter. You and I are going to have another little chat,” Snape said in a low, dangerous voice. He gave Harry one last warning glance and continued gathering up the homework assignments.

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. She had escaped the public humiliation that she knew would have been forthcoming, had not Snape been so preoccupied demeaning Harry. She did, however, feel a twinge of guilt at escaping Snape's wrath, while her friend had been berated so mercilessly. She did realise though that Snape would discover at some point that she had not completed her assignment, therefore she would earn her first zero ever, and probably a detention.

Malfoy watched the whole exchange between Severus and Potter with barely concealed glee. Not only had Skeeter paid him fifty galleons for the scoop about Potter, but Draco himself had escaped blame and his little plan had driven Potter and Severus even further apart. Draco had been especially pleased when he had discovered that Severus blamed Potter for the leak about their relationship. After Severus had dragged Potter by the scruff of his neck to his office, Draco had slipped out of the Great Hall silently, taking advantage of the fact that everyone one was preoccupied with all the commotion that was going on. Draco was quite surprised and delighted to find that Severus had forgone his usual paranoia and had neglected to put a privacy spell on the doors and walls of his office. Draco had overheard every last tidbit of their insightful conversation.

All traces of guilt had been erased the minute that Draco had realised that he had gotten away with his little scheme. He spent the rest of the class planning his next move in driving Prince Pottie away from Hogwarts.

Harry, on the other hand, spent the rest of the class plotting his revenge on his dear Daddy. He would make the greasy git pay, Harry thought maliciously. If Snape ever washed his hair I could switch his shampoo for green hair dye, or I could find out what spell James used to make him hang upside down from a tree, lower the git's trousers and let him swing in the wind in his yellowed underpants, Harry fumed inwardly.

Harry slowly grew more anxious as the class went on. He watched Snape stalk around the classroom, his black robes billowing behind him. He could hear Snape drone on ...lecturing, admonishing, sneering and insulting quivering students. This was his father, Harry thought--his flesh and blood. The man whom his mother had obviously loved deeply. Harry continued to study the man, and listen to his silky voice grow further and further away until the only voice Harry could hear was the one in his head.

He hates you, he never wanted you, because you're worthless. He cares more for his Slytherins than his own son. Chills ran down Harry's spine. What the hell? Where were these unbidden thoughts coming from again? Harry felt as if he were hearing someone else's thoughts. It was positively creepy! It reminded Harry of when Voldemort had intruded upon his thoughts and had attempted to plant false memories.

But these weren't untruths he was hearing, were they? It was all true. His mother and James had lied to him... they had left him all alone. Dumbledore had abandoned him to the Durlseys...hadn't he? With not a thought to how he would be treated. Had Dumbledore ever come to check on him? Had he never suspected the extent of the abuse that Harry had been subjected to, or had he coldheartedly abandoned the young child that he was, to a bleak future of abuse and neglect at the hands of the people who were supposed to protect and love him? Ironic it was, that the supposed blood wards built on love and sacrifice that were designed to protect Harry from forces beyond the walls of the little house on Privet Drive, could not save Harry from the evils that emanated from within those walls.

“Potter, if you are quite finished daydreaming-'' Snape startled Harry out of his tortured thoughts.

Harry looked up to an extremely irritated-looking Snape looming over him. Snape peered down into Harry's cauldron with a disgusted look at Harry's potion, which had begun bubbling over, and was a decidedly not the proper consistency nor thecolour the instructions had called for.

Harry hastily began stirring the offending concoction, and lowered the heat on the flame...but to no avail. The potion was ruined, and Snape looked livid. He was probably thinking how his son had definitely not inherited his skills in potions, Harry thought bitterly.

With a swish of his wand, Snape vanished the contents of Harry's cauldron, and smugly announced- “Zero, for the day's work Potter.” Snape leaned a little closer. “My...my...my Potter,” Snape drawled, “I do believe that those exceptional Potionmaking skills that you shamelessly flaunted last year, have suddenly derserted you?” Snape smirked. “Hmmm...could it be that this year's Potion's Manual, is not quite as...shall we say... informative as the one from last year?”

Harry's face heated up with embarassment. Most of the class, however, was more interested in the interplay between Snape and Harry, and even those who paid attention to Snape's reference to the Half Blood Prince's Potion's Manual, didn't understand the jibe. Hermione did, of course, and was mortified on Harry's behalf. Even though she had thoroughly disapproved of Harry's illicit use of the Half-Blood Prince’s Potion's manual, Hermione was furious that Snape was using Harry's lack of judgement to publicly humiliate him..

Harry gritted his teeth in frustration, and fought back the urge to throttle the man. Of course, Harry wouldn't have stood a chance against the larger, more experienced wizard, but it satisfied his desire for exacting revenge against his father-- to imagine his hands wrapped around the greasy git's scrawny throat!

Harry's sigh of relief, at the bell ringing to signal the end of class, was cut short when a cold voice halted his attempt to rise from his seat.

“Where do you think you're going, Potter?” Snape fixed Harry with an icy glare. “I do believe that we need to finish our earlier conversation about respect.

Hermione looked at Harry sympathetically and reluctanly left him to Snape.

Draco let his Slytherin mates advance, pretended to drop his books and took his sweet time to gather them up, so that he could evesdrop on Harry and Snape once again.

Snape crossed his arms and glared at Harry. “So Potter...here we are again. Having the same conversation that we've had for the past six years,” Snape said softly. “Your flagrant disregard for authority, your disrepect and your determination to flout the rules.”

Harry's face turned red with the effort to seal his lips. He pressed his lips together and gripped the side of the desk tightly until his knuckles ached.

Snape began to slowly pace the classroom. “Since you are already serving detention with me until the end of term, I have decided to to overlook your most recent bout of insolence.”

Harry's jaw dropped. Snape letting him off? No....he must have misunderstood. Snape never overlooked an opportunity to punish his favourite scapegoat.

Snape halted in mid-stride and turned to glare at Harry. “However,” he began forbiddingly, “keep in mind that should the need arise to have this conversation again, I will be forced to place you on restriction. This includes being prohibited from participating in Quidditch, and revoking your Hogsmeade priviledges.” Snape stoppped before Harry and put both hands on his desk. “Is that clear, Mr. Potter?

Harry wanted desperately to spit in the git's face, but managed to control his rising temper. Of course, his bleeding tongue was the casualty.

“Yeah,” Harry spit out finally.

Snape raised his eyebrow menacingly.

“Yes sir,” Harry said reluctantly.

Snape looked as though he was gloating. He must be thinking that he's beaten Harry Potter into submission, Harry thought resentfully.

“Now be off. I do believe that you have Transfiguration next.” Snape smirked at Harry. “We wouldn't want you to be late, now would we?” Snape said maliciously.

It was as if Harry had no control of his own actions anymore and definitely not his mouth. “Well at least McGonagall wouldn't throw me out of class or deduct fifty points,” Harry sneered.

Snape shot him a warning glance.

Harry flung open the door and scurried out before his big trap could get him into any more trouble.

Draco was thrown on his arse with the force of the door.

Harry glared at the blond boy. “What the hell were you doing, Malfoy?” He asked suspiciously.

Draco recovered quickly, and rose to his feet. “I came to see Professor Snape,” Draco snickered, “or should I say your Daddy.”

Harry's anger got the better of his common sense and he threw a punch at Malfoy, leaving a stunned Draco nursing a soon-to-be black eye.

Ah...revenge is so sweet, Harry thought blissfully. This must have been how Hermione felt in third year, when she had punched Malfoy's smug face.

“What is the meaning of this?” a silky voice demanded behind him.

Oh Merlin...Snape! Just what I don't need right now, Harry thought miserably.

Draco looked up at Snape, his hand cupped over his eye. “Potter hit me sir...for no reason!” He whined pitifully.

Harry rolled his eyes.

Snape glared at Harry. “Is this true,Mr. Potter?”

“The little ferret was evesdropping on our conversation, and he-” Harry began angrily.

Did you...or did you not hit Mr. Malfoy, Mr. Potter?” Snape demanded forcefully.

“Yes, but-,” Harry said through gritted teeth.

“That's yes sir to you,” Snape warned, giving Harry his fiercest glare.

Yes sir,” Harry said wearily. He just didn't have any more fight left in him. It was a losing battle anyway.

“Report to Madame Pomfrey Draco.” Snape turned to fix Harry with his cold black gaze. “I'll deal with you later. Get to class...now,” he ordered coldly.

Snape watched the two go to their respective destinations.

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. Remind me again why I'm teaching these snot-nosed brats, Snape thought wretchedly. Oh...right...it's all Minerva's fault!

----

Minerva shot Harry an irritated look as Harry attempted to unobtrusively enter the classroom, ten minutes after the bell had already rung.

“You are late, Mr. Potter,” Minerva said, stating the obvious. “Ten points from Gryffindor for your tardiness.”

Harry gnashed his teeth in frustration. Not bloody well her too, he thought angrily. Of course the way that she had been acting of late, Harry realised that he should have expected this.

“Snape, the bloo-, uh- Snape kept me after class, Professor,” Harry explained with a clenched jaw.

“That's Professor Snape to you, Mr. Potter,” she flashed a annoyed look at him, “and just why did Professor Snape keep you after class?” McGonagall raised her eyebrow.

Uh-no reason Professor, the greasy-, uh- Professor Snape just wanted to discuss my potion with me ma'am,” Harry lied smoothly.

McGonagall looked at Harry disbelievingly and pointed to his desk. “Sit Potter, you've already disrupted the class enough,” she snapped.

Of course, the Slytherins were whispering and snickering amongst themselves. Some threw him nasty looks. Obviously, word spread quickly that he had punched Malfoy, Harry thought with sickening realisation. Of course, foolish Gryffindor bravery wouldn't allow him to show a flicker of fear. He glared at the Slytherins with a cocky look that said, you want to take me on... go for it. I'll make mince-meat out of you!

Harry took a seat beside Ron and Hermione. Ron looked at Harry sympathetically and Hermione huffed in exasperation. Honestly, she thought, what was wrong with Harry lately? Skipping classes, talking back to teachers...lying! Her worry was growing steadily with each passing day and Hermione decided that perhaps it was time to talk to McGongall about her suspicions.

The rest of the class passed in a blur for Harry. He couldn't quite get the whole ordeal with Malfoy and Snape off of his mind. One thing was for sure, Harry did not regret punching Malfoy. Harry was not usually a vindictive person, but it was as though six years of enduring Malfoy's snobbish, malicious taunts and harrassment had culminated in that one gratifying punch to the prat's smug face.

Harry had a strong hunch that Malfoy was somehow responsible for the leak to the Prophet, and a whole new wave of fury coursed through Harry at this thought. His now fisted hand just itched to wallop the bloody prat again...till he begged for mercy. Harry thought back to the Secumtempra that he had cursed Malfoy with last year and as much as he had regretted using such a dark spell on the Slytherin at the time, Harry was now contemplating what other hexes he could throw at his nemesis, without being sent to Azkaban, or being expelled! Of course, Harry was steadily reaching the point where anger and frustration were beginning to overule his sense of good judgement and reasoning and he knew that he was reaching his boiling point... and that could only mean trouble.

“Mr. Potter--stay behind,” McGonagall ordered crisply.

Harry groaned. He did not need another lecture; he was quite certain that he was going to get one already from Hermione, if her pursed lips and disapproving expression, were anything to go by.

Ron gave him a supporting pat on the arm, Hermione gave him an admonishing look, before they took their leave.

McGonagall motioned for Harry to sit back down.

“I'm going to be late for Defence, Professor,” Harry began, attempting futilely to delay the reprimand that he knew was forthcoming.

“As I'm aware of your recent lack of regard for time restraints Mr. Potter,” McGonagall narrowed her eyes, “and of your total lack of respect and disregard for your Professors' authority, I would advise you to take your seat, seal your flapping lips and listen to what I have to say.”

Harry flopped into his seat and steeled himself for the proper dressing down he knew McGonagall was about to deliver.

McGonagall fixed Harry with a severe expression.

“I don't know what's come over you lately Potter,” she said in a hard voice, “but your list of trangressions grows by the minute and I must say that the disrespectful behaviour that you have been displaying recently, is most unbecoming for the Saviour of the Wizarding World.”

Harry flinched at the tone of disapproval and disappointment. He knew that he had been out of control lately, but he just couldn't pinpoint the root of the problem. Not that he didn't have reason enough to be totally barmy with all that he had had to cope with in recent weeks, but Harry had dealt with worse in the past and had not gone totally mental—so what had changed?

“Mr Potter!” McGonagall said sharply, “I expect an explanation—a truthful explanation of what transpired with your father to make you late for class.

The word father grated on Harry's already raw nerves. He would never consider that man his father. James Potter was his father, not Severus bloody Snape. As far as Harry was concerned the man didn't deserve the title of father, and deserved the respect that went along with the title, even less.

Harry sucked in a deep breath. “Sn-” Harry rolled his eyes, at McGonagall's disapproving expression at Harry's reluctance to refer to his father with, in McGonagall's opinion, his proper title. “Professor Snape,” Harry began again, “kept me after class.” Harry decided to be vague. No sense in offering McGonagall more ammunition for her reprimand.

McGonagall tapped her foot impatiently. “And just why did Professor Snape feel the need to keep you after class, Mr. Potter?”

Harry should have known that evasion was a useless ploy with the stern professor. “I ruined my potion, and we-,” Harry hesitated, “-we had...words.”

McGonagall eyed Harry suspiciously. “What kind of words?”

Harry sighed. “We argued...as usual, Harry said bitterly.

McGonagall's expression softened somewhat. “Potter, I know that it seems impossible right now that you and your father could ever have a normal relationship, but-”

Harry snorted. “No offence Professor, but Snape and I will sooner have a father and son relationship, than Malfoy’ll marry a muggle.”

McGonagall looked momentarily stunned at Harry's analogy, but she chose to ignore it.

“I really need to get to class Professor,” Harry said abruptly. He really had no desire to continue this conversation and since Defence with Snape was his next class, he really didn’t want to further aggrivate the man. Besides, Harry really wanted to escape McGonagall’s observant eyes, before he had to admit what he had done to Malfoy. Harry knew that he would have to face the music eventually, as no doubt, Snape would inform McGonagall at the earliest opportunity of Harry's agressive response to Malfoy's taunting, but...better later than sooner, he supposed.

“Very well,” McGonagall reluctantly agreed. “But we will continue this conversation later and you will be more forthcoming Mr. Potter,” she sternly threatened.

Harry avoided her eyes. “Yes Ma'am. Uh- Professor, do you think that maybe you could write a note for me. I really don't want to walk in late to Sn-uh-Professor Snape's class.” That was an understatement. If Harry didn't value his life, he would skip Snape's class again. Not only did Harry not want to face Snape after their earlier confrontation, but he wasn't sure if he trusted himself with Malfoy either. He still felt the desire to hex the ferret into the next universe.

“Yes, of course,” McGonagall agreed reluctantly. She had an inkling that there was more to this story than met the eye, and Minerva decided that she would get to the bottom of it. She would have a word with Severus later, because Harry was not going to be cooperative where Severus was concerned. That much was obvious. Of course...Severus' account of the constant battle of the wills between the two, would be predjudiced, at best. Minerva sighed in exasperation, scribbled the note for Harry and pondered the situation between the two hard-headed wizards. Minerva was begininng to doubt that the two stubborn men, would ever reconcile their differences.

As much as Minerva was frustrated with Severus’ inaction with building a relationship with his son, Minerva realised that Harry was not helping matters. What was wrong with the boy lately? The sort of behaviour that Potter was exhibiting of late, was just not what Minerva had been used to seeing from him over the past six and a half years. Minerva realised that he had had a lot to deal with lately, but that wouldn’t explain the transformation in Potter’s personality. Potter had always been respectful...well at least to anyone other than Severus, and he had always been considerate of other’s feelings, and honesty...well the boy had oozed with it. So where were these qualities lately that she had always so admired in the young Gryffindor? I must speak to Severus, she decided. Perhaps there was another explanation for Potter’s moodiness, but the niggling thought that came to the forefront of Minerva’s mind, unsettled her.

Almost as if he’s been affected by something dark…

Minerva pushed the ludicrous thought away and began tidying the room to prepare for her next class.

----

Harry slipped into Defence class as unobtrusively as possible. Of course, with Snape burning a hole in him with icy obsidian glare, it wasn’t very unobtrusive at all.

Harry sat down quickly, hoping to avoid another direct confrontation with his dear father. Obviously the giant bat had the same desire, because other than the hateful look that he had awarded Harry with when he walked in the door, the dark man decided to ignore Harry's presence. That was just fine with Harry.

Malfoy, on the other hand was glaring at Harry hatefully.. His eye was swollen and the pale skin was marred with a black and yellow bruise just beginning to form. Harry knew damned well that Madame Pomfrey could have easily healed it, and Harry was certain that the git had just wanted to exaggerate his injury to gain sympathy, and provoke Snape's wrath towards Harry. Harry glared back, and sent a silent message to Malfoy that far from being intimidated by Malfoy, or even Snape, that the black eye that Harry had given him, was only the tip of the iceberg, should Malfoy continue to provoke him

Snape, as intuitive as ever, noticed the interplay between the two boys and shot a warning glance at Harry. Harry's bravado deflated and he wisely heeded Snape's silent warning to control his temper. At least for the time-being.

“Everyone, rise from your seats and stand against the wall,” Snape instructed. With a swish of his wand the desks and chairs flew to the other end of the room. He motioned for the students to move to the middle of the classroom.

“We will be practicing non-verbal spells once more and I wish you once again to divide into pairs.” As the students made to move towards the partner of their choice, Snape's deep voice halted their movements. “We will try a different approach this time. You will partner with someone from a House other than your own.” There was a collective groan from the students, but if Snape's menacing glare wasn't enough to silence their protests, his dangerously quiet “Enough!” was sufficient to make even the bravest student freeze in their tracks. Snape awarded them one more fierce warning look before continuing his lecture. “By working with a partner that you are not familiar with, and cannot easily anticipate their next move, it will force you to react as in an actual life and death situation.”

Snape swept his eyes around the room, trying to decide what partnerships would best reinforce the lesson he wished to impart upon his students. Of course, it would be foolish to partner Malfoy and Potter; they would most likely hex each other into oblivion.

“ Hmmm..” .Snape contemplated. Finally, he announced, using his wand to point with, ”Zabini and Potter...Malfoy—Granger, Weasley and...Parkinson...” Snape continued his pacing and picking partners, carefully weighing his choices.

The students however, looked at each other hesitatingly. None of them were too pleased with the partners that were chosen for them.

“Well...what are you waiting for?” Snape asked angrily. “Move. NOW!” he commanded harshly.

The students hastily obeyed the command and scrambled to divide into the partnerships they were ordered to.

Blaise and Harry glared at each other with hostility. Before Harry had a chance to prepare himself, Zabini threw a jelly-leg curse at Harry. But unbeknownst to Blaise, Harry had been practicing non-verbal spells since last year, and along with his superb Defence skills, Harry easily blocked the hex. Blaise was no match for Harry, who had been defending himself against the threat of mortal danger since he was a baby! Blaise threw a malevolent look at Harry, and attempted again and again to best the young Gryffindor...to no avail.

Severus was impressed despite himself. As infuriatingly cocky and arrogant as Potter was, Severus felt a flash of something he couldn't quite define the source of. Pride? Came the unbidden thought. NO! Definitely not! He would not admit that he was impressed by Potter's skill, he barely could admit that the boy was his own flesh and blood. Nonetheless, Severus couldn’t deny the surge of satisfaction he felt, nor could he hide the smirk that appeared on his face when Potter blocked a particularly vicious hex and sent it back, throwing Zabini back into the wall and landing the furious Slytherin on his arse.

As the class progressed, and it was Harry's turn to hex Zabini, it was clear that the Slytherin was slowly becoming enraged that he was unable to block Harry's hexes.

“Just wait Potter,” Blaise said through gritted teeth. His face was flushed with rage, and he clenched his fists in anger. “One day when you're least expecting it,” he threatened under his breath.

Malfoy, who was standing next to them, turned his head at Zabini's threat, and added one of his own. In between blocking Hermione's expert hexes, he threatened in a low smooth voice, so that Snape wouldn't hear, “Yeah, one day when Daddy won't be there to protect you.”

Severus, who had been inconspicuously studying his son’s actions since the beginning of class, noticed with concern, although he told himself it was out of worry for his Slytherins, that Potter’s demeanour was becoming rather agressive, and it appeared that his control was weakening As often in the past as he had accused Potter of being spoiled or arrogant; Severus had to admit to himself that the boy had never been malicious.

Yes, the boy had exhibited signs of Severus’ own volatile temper, but it had always been Potter’s sense of Gryffidor nobility that landed him into trouble. However, Severus had for some time now, been seeing a gradual change in the boy’s temperment. Severus’ intuition told him that something just wasn’t right. Potter’s eyes were glazed and unfocused, and he was holding himself rigid, clenching his fists; obviously the boy was becoming more and more enraged. Something clicked in the back of Severus’ mind, reminding him of another time and place. There was definitely something off with Potter; of that Severus was certain.

Harry felt his head spinning...he could feel the blood rushing to his face. Once again, Harry was powerless to fight against the forces that seemed to have taken control of him lately. He is just like Lucius. He is just like Belatrix. They killed Sirius. They've all taken everything away from you. He deserves to pay for what he's done to you.

It was as though it was someone else's arm that pointed his wand at Malfoy. It was surely someone else's lips that formed the words...”Cruc-”

But with lightning speed and a flick of his wand, Harry's wand flew into Severus' upheld hand.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Things are getting hot now. Will Harry explode soon?

Next chapter the cauldron bubbles over....


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1693