A Pair of Phoenixes by Kristeh
Summary: Harry has defeated Voldemort, but at a high cost to himself.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 20041 Read: 28653 Published: 29 Dec 2008 Updated: 26 Jun 2009
Chapter 4 by Kristeh
Author's Notes:
Here's chapter 4. Hope you enjoy it!

But Harry didn't get any better once they were back at home either.

For the next week Severus neglected his preparations for the imminently approaching school year and continued to devote himself to Harry day and night. Of course he had been teaching more than fifteen years now so he knew the routines and the lessons he taught at the beginning of the term, but there were countless other little details that normally took up much of his time...taking inventory of ingredients, attending staff meetings, brewing medicinal potions for the infirmary.

None of that seemed to matter at all now though.

In the mornings he bathed and dressed Harry for the day and then took him out to the parlour. Poppy had brought a wheelchair down to their dungeon rooms the day after they'd left the infirmary. Severus hated it...hated the open acknowledgment of Harry's catatonic state and the foreboding sense that he might have a long recovery that the wheelchair seemed to represent...but as Harry would not walk on his own the only other choices were for Severus to carry him in his arms or levitate him. Severus reluctantly had to admit that the wheelchair was more practical.

Ron and Hermione continued to practically live with them and Harry's two friends usually arrived soon after breakfast and stayed long into the evening.

Ron and Severus played chess, though they both would have been disgraced by their tactics at any other time. But then neither of them made any pretense of truly concentrating on the game. They simply played to pass the time and in the vain hope that they might interest Harry in their matches. They wheeled his chair beside the board and spoke to him often while they played, trying to elicit some comment or advice, to no avail.

Hermione brought books, of course, and sometimes she would read a passage aloud or tell them about something interesting she had learned. But Harry never seemed to hear her either.

The sky was cloudy, but it didn't rain and it was warm so they went outside for a couple of hours after lunch, wheeling Harry around the lake and down to the Quidditch pitch.

"You've got to get better, mate, so we can play again." Ron told him. "Fred and George and some of the others have started an amateur league. They meet a couple times a month on the weekends. It's pretty informal, but it's a lot of fun. You'd love it."

Severus and Hermione tried to tempt Harry out of his depression by telling him again about all the interesting sights they could see and things they could do now that the war was over and it was safe for them to go about. Hermione in particular had done a fair bit of traveling with her parents and she had many photographs and tales to tell about it all.

Albus and Poppy came every day to check on Harry and to visit with him, or attempt to visit with him at least. Minerva McGonagall, Filius Flitwick, and Pomona Sprout came to see Harry, too. They tried to hide it, but Severus could tell they were shaken by the boy's condition.

They questioned Severus anxiously, but they didn't know about the slavery spell so Severus couldn't tell them very much, even if he had been so inclined. It occurred to him that at one time, not very long ago, he would have bristled at their perceived interference, but now he recognised that they were simply concerned for Harry. In any case, he didn't have the energy to be indignant or angry about anything these days. He was too worried about Harry, too focused on caring for him to fret over anything else.

Hagrid demanded to see Harry too, so Severus, Ron, and Hermione went by the groundskeeper's cottage during their afternoon walks. But Severus wouldn't call those visits a success. Hagrid was so distressed that he sobbed aloud and Harry remained locked away in his own mind, far away and lost from everyone.

By the end of the week Severus was coming to terms with the fact that he had some difficult decisions to make and that he would have to make them soon. It was the end of August. The new school year would begin in a few days and there was no way that Severus was going to leave Harry's side for hours at a time to teach class and to run Slytherin House. Even if Ron and Hermione stayed with Harry...and they couldn't just put their own lives on hold forever...Severus wasn't willing to do that. Harry needed him and Severus was going to be there for him.

Harry was his top priority now, his child, and Severus would do whatever was necessary to help him.

And actually, those decisions weren't so difficult after all.

***

He discussed his plans with Ron and Hermione first, one evening after dinner when he'd mixed a sleeping potion along with Harry's nutritive one. Sure enough, a few minutes after he'd spelled it into Harry's system, the boy's eyes closed and soon after his breathing slowed slightly and deepened, and his head bowed against his chest as he fell into a deep sleep.

Ron and Hermione noticed at once. They all kept a close watch over Harry.

"Well, I suppose we ought to be going," Hermione said and she and Ron stood up from the table in the little dining alcove.

But Severus held out a hand to stop them. "Actually, if you don't mind, I need to discuss something with you; something that I hope will help Harry."

"Of course." Hermione and Ron spoke together.

"Let me get him settled first." Severus also stood and moved behind the wheelchair. "Then we can talk in the parlour."

So he took Harry back to his bedroom, transfigured his clothes into pyjamas and tucked him into bed. Then Severus re-joined the other two. Ron and Hermione were sitting side by side on the sofa so Severus sat down in an armchair facing them.

"As you know, September is almost here and obviously I will need to make some changes before school begins. I've been giving the matter some thought this past week and I believe I've come to a decision, but I would like to know what you think, considering that the two of you know Harry better than I do still." Severus told them his plans, laid some advertisements and brochures on the table for them to examine, and then sat back, watching for their reactions.

Neither Ron nor Hermione spoke for a while. Instead they both looked through the papers silently as they considered Severus' words.

Finally Ron nodded. "I think it's worth a try."

"Yes, me, too," Hermione agreed. "But that's an awful lot to try to do over the next few days. If you're planning to have it all done by the time term begins, that is."

Severus sighed. "I would prefer to have everything wrapped up by then if possible, and yes, it is a lot to do. And I cannot leave Harry, at least not for very long." He eyed the two teenagers before him. "I would need your help," he said tentatively.

They nodded right away.

"Of course," Hermione said.

Ron added, "I bet the rest of my family would be glad to help, too. They're all worried sick about Harry. Anything that might help him get better...well, they'll do anything they can." He leaned over the table again, rifling through the papers. "Percy's a sucker for paperwork and details. I'm sure he'd be a big help."

Hermione picked up some of the brochures and booklets again. "Do you have a favourite place picked out already, Severus? We'll need to narrow the choices down before we do anything else."

Severus found one paper in particular and handed it to her. "This one."

Ron whistled low under his breath and spoke in an awed tone. "Nice. Very nice."

"And very expensive," Hermione added. She glanced at Severus and said hesitantly, "I know it's not polite to mention money, but..."

Severus waved his hand. "I believe we're beyond the constraints of polite convention. But do not worry, Hermione. I will manage the money."

Ron looked up. "What about Dumbledore? Have you told him?"

"Not yet, and I should have," Severus admitted. "I will speak with him tomorrow."

"How do you think he'll take it?" The red-haired boy asked curiously.

Severus shrugged. "I doubt he'll be pleased, but that's the least of my concerns."

"We'll need a reliable barrister," Hermione said, frowning. Severus could almost see her mentally composing a checklist.

"I have one in mind. Mr. Cyrus Oldridge of Oldridge, Chauncey, and Wildsmith. He is an expert in international real estate legalities," Severus told her.

"It's short notice. He'll charge an outrageous fee, if he even agrees to represent you," Hermione pointed out.

Severus nodded. "I have already contacted him and he is willing. He is a Muggle-born and happens to consider it an honour to aid Harry. Though, yes, he did require an exorbitant amount of money, nonetheless."

They continued their discussion for another hour before Ron and Hermione Flooed back to their respective homes.

***

Albus had been coming down in the late afternoons, but that morning Severus contacted him immediately after breakfast and asked him to come down as soon as possible. A few minutes later the Floo flared and the headmaster's face floated above the flames.

"Severus? Is there an emergency?"

Severus had planned everything with Ron and Hermione and they had already taken Harry out for a walk so he was alone, sitting on the sofa and filling out some of the paperwork that Mr. Oldridge had sent with the morning post.

He looked up at Albus' anxious face and said reassuringly. "It's not a matter of life and death, but there is an important issue that we need to discuss."

"I'm due at a staff meeting in five minutes. Can't it wait?" The headmaster inquired.

"I don't think so," Severus shook his head.

Albus sighed. "Very well. Just let me notify Minerva to act in my stead and I'll be right there."

Severus set his paperwork aside and when Albus stepped from the fireplace a short time later, he gestured for the old wizard to take a seat in an armchair.

"Thank you for meeting with me, Albus, and I do apologise for my poor timing. I should have spoken with you earlier in the week, but I only made up my mind for certain yesterday."

Albus waved a hand. "It's quite all right. I understand that you've had a lot on your mind lately." He glanced around. "Where is Harry, by the way? Is there any change in his condition?"

"No, I'm afraid not," Severus said quietly. "And Ron and Hermione have taken him outside for a little while."

"Good, perhaps the fresh air will help," Albus said, though not very convincingly.

Severus shook his head again. "It has not helped yet. And that is really what I need to discuss with you, Albus. Harry's condition and school starting and..."

The headmaster broke in. "There's no need to say it, Severus. I've guessed that you will not want to leave Harry now, and I certainly can't blame you. I've already spoken with Professor Grubbly-Plank about teaching Potions for these first weeks, assuming that that is agreeable with you. As for the Slytherins, I will help you run the House until..."

It was Severus' turn to interrupt.

"I think we need more," he said bluntly, squarely meeting Albus' gaze. "I'm resigning, Albus. Harry and I are leaving Hogwarts."

Albus was not often caught off-guard. If circumstances had been different, Severus would have enjoyed the dumbfounded expression on his old mentor's face.

"Leaving Hogwarts?" Albus sputtered after a long silence. "You can't be serious. Hogwarts is your home. And Harry's. What will he do away from here, away from the people who care for him?"

Several snide comments came to Severus' mind, but it was not the right moment for antagonizing Albus, not when he planned to ask for the headmaster's assistance in a few minutes. It might not be completely appropriate either. Albus did care for Harry, for them both; despite the fact that he had used and manipulated them, most damagingly with the slavery spell.

And yet, to be perfectly fair, had he had much of a choice? Voldemort had had to be defeated. They couldn't have allowed the dark wizard to win, even if the slavery spell was the price of victory.

But what was done was done. There was no point in dwelling on the past now. But Severus did have to do what he thought would be best for Harry now.

Severus sighed. "It might not be a permanent move. But Harry is not getting any better here. I thought perhaps a change, a new environment, might help him." His calm façade slipped and he could not mask the deep worry beneath. "I don't know what else to do, Albus."

The headmaster drew a deep breath and composed himself. "Are you sure, Severus? This is a big step."

Severus spread his hands and looked at Albus with a mixture of sorrow and frustration. "No, I'm not sure. I don't know how to reach Harry and it's driving me insane. I can't bear seeing him like this, knowing that he's so unhappy. But he did mention once that he would like to see a beach, to live near the sea."

"And Hogwarts has been our home, but to be honest, Albus, that's because neither of us has ever had any other place where we felt welcome and comfortable," Severus continued. "And a school, a place that you share with hundreds of other people, is not the same as a true home. I want to give Harry a real home, one of our own."

Albus was silent again for a long while. He bowed his head, studying his clasped hands thoughtfully before finally looking back up. "So will you be moving south, to England or will any coastal area in Britain do?"

"Here. This is the home I plan to buy." Severus handed him the same advertisement he had shown Ron and Hermione.

Albus took it, looked at it, and his eyebrows shot up. "But this is a..."

"A villa on a private Unplottable island in the Aegean Sea," Severus finished for him. "I've considered many places the last few nights while Harry was sleeping and this one is perfect. There are miles of beaches, beautiful gardens, a big field where we could put up a Quidditch pitch, and it's fully furnished so we could move in immediately."

"It's so far away," Albus murmured.

"Only a couple of minutes by Floo or portkey," Severus responded. Apparition would be even quicker, but he intended to put up protective wards as soon as possible, including anti-Apparition spells, both for privacy and for safety's sake.

"It's also rather expensive. You did notice that the price is 3.5 million galleons?" Albus inquired.

"Yes, Albus. I have been literate for some years now," Severus answered dryly.

"Well, I suppose with the Potter and Black gold that 3.5 million galleons isn't so much," Albus mused.

But Severus promptly shook his head. "No. I'm not touching that money. It may be mine legally, but it is rightfully Harry's. I promised him that money is for him to spend as he wishes. I would feel like a thief if I spent any of it."

"How do you plan to purchase the villa then?" Albus asked.

Though he did not have the kind of wealth that the Potters and the Blacks had had, Severus' vault at Gringotts was comfortably full. Professors in the wizarding world were highly respected and earned a good salary. Besides that, Severus had also turned a nice profit by filling potions orders on the side and until this past summer when Harry had become his responsibility, he had been extremely frugal. He had always lived simply and had never had anyone else to spend the money on.

Nonetheless, buying his own private island with a beautiful villa was a little beyond his means. Possibly Severus could have managed to borrow the money with his excellent financial history and his reputation as a Potions Master. But it would take time and would leave him indebted, likely for years to come. Severus had a better idea.

"I plan for the Ministry to give it to Harry as a gift."

For the second time in an hour Albus could only stare at him in speechless amazement.

Severus continued on firmly. "Of course all the deeds will have to be in my name and I'm not sure how to explain that necessity, but I have every confidence in you, Albus. With your shrewdness and intelligence, I'm sure you can find a way to finagle it."

Albus began to sputter again but Severus just held up a hand to stall him.

"Albus, the wizarding world owes this to Harry. We owe it to Harry. You and I, and all of us. If Harry had not defeated Voldemort, what would the cost of the war be...in damages and in human life? How much suffering and grief would there be? Think of that and then think of the sacrifice that Harry made to save all of us. Then can you tell me that he doesn't deserve to have a beautiful home in privacy and safety?"

"Well, of course he deserves that, and so do you," Albus agreed at once. He looked back at the photographs of the villa. "But this is so extravagant."

Severus' black eyes glittered dangerously. "Harry deserves more and better."

Albus was still for a moment and when he looked up again his face was filled with both sadness and resolve. "Yes, Severus. You're right. He does."

He gestured towards a photograph. "If the two of you go off to this island though, what about Harry's friends? He needs them, too, Severus."

"I know that. I have no intention of taking Harry's friends from him. Ron and Hermione are going to stay with us on the weekends. And I imagine we'll come back to visit from time to time," Severus responded. He hesitated. "I realise that I'm asking a great deal from you, Albus, but if Harry should want to return to Hogwarts..."

"Harry is always welcome here, and so are you, Severus," Albus responded at once. He stood. "Well, if I'm going to convince the Ministry to part with several million galleons, as well as begin searching for a new Potions professor, I suppose I'd better be off then."

Severus stood too. "Thank you, Albus. And if you could possibly manage it, I'd like for us to be settled in the villa by the time school starts."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you for reading!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1756