Life as Dictated by a Talking Hat by RhiannanT
Past Featured StorySummary: Before Harry arrives at Hogwarts, the faculty have a meeting and decide that Harry will need a mentor to help him adjust, keep him out of trouble, and make protecting him easier. They decide that this person should the Head of the House into which Harry is sorted, presumably Minerva McGonagall. But things, of course, don't turn out as planned, and Harry is harder to deal with than anyone expected. Nobody asked him if he wanted a mentor, after all...

NOTE: This story has a prologue. It is not necessary to the plot of the story, but if you wish to read it, it is called(predictably enough) 'Prologue to Life as Dictated by a Talking Hat'
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Life as Dictated by a Talking Hat
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 194634 Read: 842221 Published: 15 Mar 2009 Updated: 24 Jul 2010
Bad Blood and Bad Attitude by RhiannanT
Author's Notes:
Wow! You guys are great! Thanks for all the reviews! You've earned a bunny:

:0)

(And another chappie) :-)

He's gonna put you in the corner again. You know he is. What would happen if he just...didn't go? Walked away and back to his dorm? Just...skipped it? What could Snape do about it if he just...stopped obeying? He'd send another Howler, idiot. He'd take points from Slytherin every hour, and the other Slytherins would MAKE you go. Then you'd be in real trouble. I think we established that skipping detentions is a bad plan. But Harry was just so sick of obeying the man. Of obeying anybody.

If I don't go to detention, he'll give me another one...or two. Like that would matter... But the damned sensible Hermione-voice spoke up again. Reality check. HOWLER, idiot. Remember that? That did not improve your life. Just go in and get it over with. But he didn't want to. Corner, remember? He told the Hermione voice. Corner is bad.

The Hermione voice wouldn't shut up, though. A Howler would be worse, and then you'd just have more detentions. You can't get out of this.

Five minutes passed, and it was 7:00. He'd be late if he didn't knock now. Okay, okay. I'll go. He knocked and entered, standing as usual in front of Snape's desk as if he didn't already know where he was headed. He looked at Snape and lifted his chin challengingly. I can take anything you dish out. The posture also served to help hold back frustrated tears.

Severus watched Harry's face. The boy had given up on pleading and returned to glaring, though Severus could still read the upset behind the anger. He reminded himself of what he'd told Albus at the beginning of the term: 'I will be strict with the boy. I cannot be expected to keep him alive if he won’t mind me,' and sighed. It was just as true now as it had been then. Voldemort was not truly gone: Severus could feel it in his bones. The world would only get more dangerous for Harry Potter: schoolyard bullies would soon be the least of his problems. That didn't make this any more fun, however. Once again, he indicated the corner with a shake of his head, and saw the desperation in the boy's eyes. I'm sorry. I don't know what else to do.

“Go.”

Harry pursed his lips angrily and turned sharply, head held high. I don't care. Put me in the corner until the world ends. Whatever. I can take it.

Once he got to the corner, though, he was hard-put to keep up his charade. It was difficult to stay angry when he couldn't even look at the source of his anger, and he had plenty of time to wait for his anger to cool. The corner itself also somehow contributed to this, killing his more prideful response and settling him into an uncomfortable state of hyper-awareness brought on by not being able to see. An hour. He remembered. I'm here for a whole hour. I should've just skipped.

But he was totally boxed in: no matter what he did, he'd end up back here. The only course he had was to accept it gracefully and not incur worse. Surely this is not the most pissed off he can be at me. What is 'worse'? He still didn't know. The man had said that he would hit him for putting himself in danger, and Harry had not yet, apparently, crossed that line. The fact that he hasn't hit me for stuff means nothing. He SAID he'd hit me for actively putting myself in danger.

What would happen when he put himself in danger? If he explored the places he wanted to explore, or did what he wanted to Marcus Flint? The thought of the man's possible reaction made Harry tense up even further. I am not scared. I'll do whatever the hell I want to, and Snape can go to hell. I get beat up by somebody no matter what I do, anyway. As usual, the Hermione voice took over, then. You'd better keep going to detention, though. He still had no way of getting out of that. Unless I can convince Snape I'm not worth it. Snape had stuck around through a lot, but...this is me we're talking about. Nobody wants a freak.

Severus Snape watched Harry, deep in thought. At what point will he just stop coming, again? He wished the boy obeyed him out of liking or at least respect, but he knew better than to think that was what it was. He hadn't given the boy a choice, and now...as soon as the boy found a way out, he'd probably take it. I'll just have to not give him one. But what was he going to do, keep the boy in detention forever? That was neither fair nor a good way to get Harry to trust him. But once the kid had a choice, Severus was sure, he would disappear, coming only when required...and the detentions would be over that evening. Then again, the idea that Harry will stay out of trouble is...laughable.

That didn't make him feel any more hopeful, however. It just meant that as far as Harry was concerned, they would always be enemies. I would choose the single least approachable kid to try and get to know...why couldn't I look out for,...oh screw it Severus just admit it- CARE for...a kid who had a chance of liking me back? He shoved the thought away. It is not important that he like me...only that he trust and obey me. That is all that is needed to keep him safe...well, that and getting rid of Marcus Flint.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

For his first class the next day Severus had the fifth year Slytherins and Gryffindors, including a very nervous-looking Marcus Flint. As well he should be. Severus watched, incredulous, as Percy Weasley warned his partner of what he was doing before leaning over and slipping armadillo bile into Flint's cauldron at a crucial step. You picked the wrong kid to mess with, Flint, if even that pretentious brown-noser is after you. The two Gryffindors stepped back hurriedly as the cauldron exploded, spraying boiling hot, sticky goo all over Marcus, who let out a loud yelp and hurriedly Evanesco-ed as much off his skin as he could.

“Ten points to Gryffindor, Mr. Weasley.”

Flint stared at him disbelievingly, burns showing up bright red on his face.

“He showed good forethought, warning his partner about the effects armadillo bile would have on that particular potion.” Snape commented mildly, but then his voice sharpened. “Tell me, Flint, did the recipe call for armadillo bile, or were you simply looking to call attention to yourself?”

“I didn't-”

“I believe Argus Filch has some trophies that require polishing: so generous of you to volunteer. I will not allow foolish, dangerous, pranks in my classroom.”

Several students started to laugh as Flint turned almost purple in his fury. Severus just met Flint's eyes, and the laughs died fast at the look in the Potions Master's eyes. Flint blanched, looking like a deer caught in the headlights of a car.

“You have an objection, Mr. Flint?”

“No, sir. No objection.”

Severus continued to meet his stare. “Funny. I could have sworn that a moment ago you thought I was being unfair.”

“N-not at all, sir.”

“Good. Did you wish to go to the infirmary?”

“Yes, please, sir.”

“Go.” Get out of my class before I get myself in trouble.

Flint fled as if pursued by all the creatures of hell, and Severus returned to his utterly silent class.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPH

“So...you hate Snape, right?” Asked Ron bluntly. He, Harry, and Theo were hanging in the Slytherin common room right after class, waiting for Blaise and Hermione to show up for a study session.

“Yeah...” Harry answered uncertainly. Where is this going?

“So...why's he protecting you, then?”

Oh, no. “Not you, too.”

“Me, too?”

“Yeah, Blaise's been after me to think better of the bastard.”

“Oh, I'm not. I'm just curious. I mean, Snape supposedly protects all of you Snakes, but I hear he's fierce when it comes to you – like, scary fierce.”

Well, maybe. Thought Harry, thinking of the man's reaction to Argus Filch, but how does RON know? “What do you mean? Hear from who?”

“From Percy, actually. Did you notice the scoreboard – he's on it!” Ron sounded very proud. “So's everyone on your Quiddich team – they 'accidentally' drove Marcus Flint into the Whomping Willow on his broom. He's in the infirmary, again, and his broom's trashed. Put Slytherin ahead quite a bit, for points, but then our Quiddich captain stuck a 'Hex Me' sign on his back. Things went badly for Flint fast after that, seeing as how he was surrounded by Lions. Now we're tied. Anyway everybody's saying it, about Snape. Like, 'mess with Harry and die.' Not a 'detention until the end of the term' sort of dead, either. It's common opinion that Flint's goose is cooked and it's 'cause he messed with you.”

Oh, great. Just what I needed. Everybody and their mother going after Marcus Flint 'cause Snape told them to. “Who cares? I don't need his help. I can take care of myself.”

“Yeah, but why would you? This is so much more fun. Jeez, what did you do to get Snape on your side that way? Everybody knows he doesn't like kids.” That was Theo.

“Don't ask me. Any ideas how to shake him off?”

Theo's eyes got large at that. “Merlin, Harry, you're going to take him on, now? He's on the bloody warpath! Even I'm not so dumb as to piss him off right now!”

Probably right. Damn. “Sure, he's a scary fucker. What else can I do? He won't bloody let me be.”

“What's wrong with that?” Asked Theo.

Harry thought it over. Blaise would have understood this, but Ron and Theo both just liked people, generally. Maybe just being frank would work.

“Well to start with, you said yourself he's a scary son of a bitch. What happens when he decides to turn it against me?”

“Harry, he's a teacher! And he likes you!” Theo exclaimed.

Harry barely contained a snort. “Whatever. Even if he doesn't turn on me I don't want anything to do with him. If he wasn't 'on my side' then he wouldn't be trying to tell me what to do. I haven't put up with adults before this,” when I had a minimum of choice. “I won't now.”

“Woah. You mean- all adults? Your par- your family, too?” Ron sounded skeptical.

Woops. Time to change the subject. “That depends. Anyway, I guess you're not going to help me?” Harry wasn't angry about it, but he needed to now.

Theo bit his lip. “I don't understand why you want to do this in the first place. I mean, yeah, Snape's a git, but...you should've seen him, when we visited you in the infirmary. You'd...you'd've thought he was your dad or something.”

“Well he's not.” Answered Harry harshly. “I don't have a father. Moreover I don't want one; grew out of that years ago. Snape can stop bloody pretending.” I have GOT to shake this bastard.

Ron looked at him, shocked. Suddenly a light of comprehension came into his eyes. “You really don't like adults, do you?”

“Not particularly, no.”

“Why?”

Harry froze. He'd already told them too much. Okay...time for an avoidance maneuver. “Why do you like them?”

Ron looked confused. “Well I don't like all of them, but I like most. No reason to dislike them if they've not done anything to me. You like McGonagall, right? You're nicer to her than to Sinestra or Quirrel.”

I am? “She's nice to me, I guess.”

“And Snape's not?”

Duh. “Come on, Ron. You're telling me you like him? I've not been out of detention since I met the man.”

“That's 'cause you keep provoking him.” Answered Theo. “He'd be nicer if you stopped disrupting his class and trashing his office.”

Harry smiled. “What if I want to disrupt his class and trash his office?”

Theo smiled back. “I can understand that! You think I never get in trouble, even at home? But, I don't blame adults for bein' mad, either. This one time I followed the Kneazle up our Christmas tree-”

“You did what?”

“Climbed up the tree to get the Kneazle down, sure. Brought down the whole tree.”

“Brilliant.” Harry said sarcastically.

“Yeah, my Dad thought so, too. I thought he'd never let me out of my room.”

Harry frowned at him. “He didn't hit you?”

“Duh, no, I was like four! Sure my dad was a Death Eater, but he's not a monster or anything. He was just mad 'cause I did something stupid and could've gotten hurt.”

Yeah. Duh. Harry thought bitterly. Shows how much you know.

Harry made a non-committal sound, and Theo continued. “Anyway you can't hate Snape just because he punishes you sometimes, that's all I'm saying.”

Watch me. “I thought you weren't going to try to convince me to like Snape? Just because your Dad was right to punish you for climbing the damned Christmas tree doesn't mean Snape's right to punish me for...well...anything.

Kallie. Anybody who wanted to would've been right to punish me for that one. But for everything else...“It's none of his business.”

“You think finding farm animals in his office is none of his business?” Ron asked incredulously.

“Okay, so maybe that, but he hasn't just punished me for pranks – he's after me for everything. The two weeks of detention was for things like putting myself in danger and skipping his class. What does he care if I don't do well in school, or for that matter if I die? I would never have bothered him if he hadn't messed with me, first.”

Blaise and Hermione had come in together while Harry was talking, and listened in. Blaise quickly figured out the subject and joined the conversation. “Who cares why? He cares about you. He's not going to just let you put yourself in danger.”

“And skipping his class? Don't tell me he longs for my company. Remember the first Potions class?”

“Hmm...yeah he certainly didn't seem to like you, then.” Conceded Ron.

“He didn't. Dumbledore made him deal with me, and he wasn't happy about it.”

“Well something changed.” Put in Hermione.

Yeah. He found out Vernon beat me up and decided to be my bloody 'savior' or something. Like he wouldn't do the same. Harry thought over the last couple weeks and reconsidered. Well, maybe he would, and maybe he wouldn't. Either way I don't need his 'help.'

“I hate him, too, Harry, but even I can see that he doesn't hate you. When adults care, I guess...they care about everything – your health and safety, but also your grades, your happiness, really everything. He wants you to do well.” Answered Ron.

And what if I don't like his idea of doing 'well'? Thought Harry, remembering what the man had said about 'taking care of himself,' and the hours of time he'd spent in the corner because of it. His idea of well and mine don't mix. “If he cared about my happiness he would sod off. Like I said before, I'm tired of being controlled.”

“Too bad.” Blaise said bluntly. “Sometimes that's the price of having people care for you.” He was getting angry again, and Harry gathered that he was not just talking about Snape.

And don't you wear the rosy-tinted glasses. Why does everybody think this 'care' shit is a good thing? “Don't you guys get it? I don't want Snape to bloody care for me! He can hate my guts as long as he leaves me alone. You guys are my friends: you want me safe, you get angry when I'm not, fine. It's worth it to have you around: you're my friends. He's not. The son of a bitch is an adult, and a particularly nasty one at that: he is not my friend and he can kiss my ass. So, like I asked Ron, any ideas?”

Blaise stayed silent, but the other three spoke at once.

“Harry-” conciliated Ron.

“I still don't get why you want to...” started Theo.

“He's not going to just go away, Harry.” Hermione added warningly. Harry'd had enough.

“Exactly. I'll have to drive him off. Hence my asking you four for help. Thanks a lot, guys.” Harry said sarcastically, getting up. He pointedly turned his back on the four, and walked upstairs.

BZBZBZBZBZBZBZBZBZBZBZBZ

Theo turned to Blaise, thoroughly confused. “Why does he hate grown-ups so much?”

Blaise looked at him and said with grim humor. “You want to ask him, be my guest.” Just don't blame me when he bites off your face.

Theo answered him unusually thoughtfully. “I did, before you came.”

“What did he say?” Asked Blaise, suddenly curious.

“I guess...he kinda didn't answer. Just asked me why I did like them.”

“Did you ask him anything about his family?” Asked Hermione, looking briefly to Blaise to see if he was thinking the same thing.

“We didn't ask, but he mentioned that he didn't put up with adults, so I asked him if he meant his family, too.” Put in Ron.

“And?”

Finally Ron seemed to catch Blaise's probing, looking slightly disturbed. “He said it depended. Didn't say on what – just changed the subject.”

“Interesting.” Commented Blaise, remembering Snape's words from before. It is not truly me whom Harry fears. Had Snape meant to imply that Harry feared someone else? Why else would he hate adults so much? Making a sudden decision, Blaise followed Harry up the stairs, motioning the others to stay put.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Harry, who hits you?”

Harry whipped around to stare at Blaise.

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me. Who hits you?”

Harry closed his eyes. I thought that's what you asked. Damnit. He'd been careless.

He tried to sound calm and matter-of-fact. “Nobody hits me. I hate adults 'cause they're jerks and they tell me what to do all the time.”

“And hit you when you don't obey.” It wasn't a question. “Harry please don't lie to me. When you said you were in detention with Snape that one weekend – I knew you were lying, I just didn't know why. You were in the infirmary, weren't you? That's why Snape wouldn't tell us where you were.”

Harry's mouth was suddenly very dry. I don't care what you think you know. Leave me alone. “I don't know what you're talking about. I was in detention.”

“Not for a solid weekend, you weren't. You were hurt...it explains why you ran, instead of going to detention. You thought Snape was gonna hit you...and you were already injured, weren't you?”

“NO! I was fine. Everything is fine. My aunt and uncle aren't my favorite people but-”

“So it is your relatives, then?”

DAMNIT! “Back the fuck off, Blaise! It is my life, okay? You're wrong and it's none of your business, anyway.”

“How is it not my business?” Blaise sounded anguished. “Harry, we can help you, you don't have to go back there.”

“And if I want to go 'back there?' If I want to see my family?”

“What kind of family would do that to you? You were in the infirmary for an entire weekend!

“I was in detention! Now drop it!”

“No you weren't.”

Unable to reply, Harry pulled his shoulder back and punched Blaise in the jaw as hard as he could, knocking him down.

Blaise looked up at him from the floor, holding his jaw. “No, you weren't.” He got up slowly, and, without speaking further, left the dormitory. From there he barreled down the stairs and breezed past Theo, Ron, and Hermione without acknowledging them, wanting to get outside and away as quickly as possible. Drawn to the tree where he'd talked to Harry before, he sat at its base, drew his knees into his chest, and submitted to his tears. He'd hoped that Harry would have a good explanation to lay his fears. Instead...he hit me. He actually hit me.

Harry watched Blaise from a window in the dorm. I'm sorry. You should've just let me alone.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Snape heard a tentative knock on his door and looked up from the potions formula he'd been working with.

“Come in.” Strange. It's only 6:00.

The door opened, and Blaise Zabini slid in around the door, looking tense, though not as tense as the last time he had come to talk to Severus.

Bless you, child, you don't give up, do you? The boy's eyes were red. He'd definitely been crying. Zabini doesn't cry over nothing. And where'd the bruise come from? He just sat and waited for the boy to build up the confidence to speak.

“Um...hello sir.” Said Blaise nervously, before shaking his head sharply, standing up straight and meeting Severus' eyes. “I need to speak with you, sir.”

“Very well, speak.”

Blaise got right into it. “When we spoke before, you said Harry's reactions were Harry's business, but you also said something-” He stopped to regroup. “Harry- doesn't like adults much. But you – you're protecting him. I wanted to be sure that you would continue to do so.”

“Continue?”

“Yes, sir.” He caught and held Severus' eyes. No child's eyes should be that serious. “As in once the school year ends.”

Severus looked at him, startled. Well, I did want him to use his intelligence.

“I have not decided what I will do about his summer vacation, but you can be assured that I will not leave Harry...unprotected.”

Blaise breathed a sigh of relief, but realized something. “He will not welcome it, sir.”

“I am aware.”

“He's not going to make it easy for you. How can I know you won't just leave?” Blaise asked challengingly.

“You can't. I have said I will protect him. You either believe me or you don't.”

Blaise stared searchingly at Severus' face. Severus let him, just staying still and allowing the scrutiny until the boy was satisfied. Finally the boy looked away, suddenly embarrassed. “Thank you, sir.” He turned to go, but Severus stopped him.

“Where did you get that bruise, Mr. Zabini?”

Blaise looked at him, eyes slowly losing their seriousness. “Well, that depends.”

“On what?”

“If you promise that he would not get in trouble, then somebody hit me. Otherwise I closed my trunk on it.”

“On your face.”

“Can you prove differently?”

Severus nodded in acknowledgment. “No. Very well. I will not punish-” he sighed. “I'm going to guess, Harry? For hitting you. I cannot fathom why you would not want me to, however.”

Blaise looked down. “I should have expected it, sir. He's been really stressed lately...and I pushed him pretty hard. You've probably noticed that he doesn't like questions. It all had to come out somewhere.”

Severus looked at him sharply. “Perhaps that is so, Mr. Zabini, but it did not have to come out of your face. I will speak with him.”

Blaise scowled at him. “You said-”

“Just talk, Mr. Zabini. I'll hold up my end of the bargain. By the way, did he tell you anything?”

Blaise hesitated, then spoke. “No. He did assume I was talking about his family, though.”

Severus shook his head. “I figured that much. The difficulty is I cannot prove anything.”

Blaise looked at him, expression reminiscent of far too many Death Eaters for Snape's comfort. “I don't suppose you could – persuade- his family to tell you?”

You have no idea how tempting that is, child. He just shook his head. “You know that that is not a good idea, Mr. Zabini.”

Blaise smiled grimly. “Effective, though. Oh, well.”

Oh well indeed. “Not to worry, Mr. Zabini, I am fully capable of handling the situation. If I thought my - other skills- would be of use, I would use them. For now, just be a friend to Harry, please. If he's as stressed as you say, it is probably best that you not contribute to it.”

“Yes sir.” Blaise left, leaving Snape with a lot on his mind. What had made Zabini this way? He talked about Severus' Death Eater background as if it were nothing, just some – alternate lifestyle choice. By all accounts, Blaise's father had raised him to be a Death Eater, but the man had died when Blaise was seven years old. What happened to the boy after that? For some reason his mother didn't keep him after that...but Severus was quite sure that Zabini's current guardians – his father's sister and her husband – treated him well enough. They could still be training him, though, in theory... Snape felt a momentary panic overtake him. If Blaise became a Death Eater, then the likelihood that Harry followed would grow exponentially. Then he calmed down. Death Eaters killed his family. His other best friends are a Muggleborn and a blood-traitor. He's not about to join those who would kill them.

Snape took a deep breath. Merlin I hate being a teacher. None of the other Heads-of-House understood him when he said that Slytherins were harder to care for than the more obviously troublesome Gryffindors. Here's why. With any luck, Harry's influence would keep young Blaise on the side of the light, but he was not the only child in his house flirting with that edge, or already over it. What am I supposed to do? Nobody knew better than Severus how adept the Dark Lord was at turning damaged children into loyal, hate-filled Death Eaters. Sooner or later, he would return, and it would be Severus' students that rushed to join him.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPH

While Blaise sat by the tree, and later stood in Snape's office, Harry went to hang out with Hedwig in the Owlery, sitting in one of the huge windows and watching the grounds below. What do I do, now? Harry's peace of mind had been shaken up enough by the thought that Snape cared for him, now Blaise thought- knew- that his relatives had injured him. And his other friends – now they think Snape 'cares', too. They also clearly thought Harry should like it. What's wrong with them?

And he'd hit Blaise. Hard. Harry remembered. He hoped Blaise would forgive him, but why couldn't the prat just back off? Harry'd made it clear enough he didn't want Blaise to get involved, so why did he? Usually Blaise was good about that sort of thing – if Harry really wanted him to leave, he left. He was so pushy, all of a sudden.

And how did he know? Harry had never been that careless. Now he didn't even have any bruises to hide and Blaise had known. Hermione was looking at me funny, too. He realized. Maybe it was just harder to hide things from friends? Previously, Harry'd just had to hide the bruises and maintain his attitude and nobody- teacher or student – had come close enough to him to notice anything odd. What was it that Blaise had seen that everyone else had missed? How was it that he'd gone through grade school with broken bones and nobody had noticed, and now he was healed and they did? Snape had noticed because Harry had assumed he was the type to hit him and so had been lax in hiding the fact that others had, but Blaise? Blaise is just too damned observant...and he was paying attention. I should never have let him get this close.

Harry liked Blaise, though. He was funny, and smart, and interesting to talk to. Too late to go back, I suppose. He already knows. The others'll find out soon enough.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPH

Harry arrived in detention as usual at 7:00, coming in and heading straight for the corner without a glance at Severus. Jerkoff. Severus let that be, for about fifteen minutes, before speaking up.

“So, you hit your friends as well as your enemies.”

Great. “Blaise told you?” Harry asked without turning. His prerogative, I guess. He couldn't help but feel a bit betrayed,though.

“I noticed the bruise and asked. He told me on the condition that I not punish you.” Oh, that's okay, I guess. He hadn't meant to get Harry in trouble. Not that that helps me much.

“So what's it to be?” Harry asked sarcastically, “Another detention or more time here?”

“Neither. I told him I would not punish you and I won't. We will talk about it though, so I suggest you work on your tone.”

“What if I don't like talking, either?” His tone remained just as insolent.

“Perhaps you have not noticed, Harry, but my decisions are based more on what you need than what you want.”

Well at least he's honest about it. “I don't need anything from you.”

“I disagree.”

Harry didn't answer, so Severus continued.

“So did it gain you anything?”

Harry remained silent, unsure of what Snape meant.

“Hitting Blaise, did it gain you anything?”

He probably expects me to say 'no.' “Yes.”

“And what's that?”

“He left.” I'd hit you if I thought it would make you go away.

“So you just hit people when you tire of their presence?”

“I hit people when they don't mind their own bloody business.”

“Language, Harry. You won't get another warning.”

Uh, oh. “Yes sir.”

Well that's better. “Blaise just wants to help you, Harry.”

“I don't want help.”

“I gathered. Fortunately for you, Blaise is a good friend. He'll help you whether you want it or not.”

“Like you?” Harry spat sarcastically. “Wonderful. I like it when the people around me don't give a damn about my own free will.”

Severus snapped back angrily. “I care for your 'free will' as long as it is not directly detrimental to your health and well-being.”

Harry turned around to look at him. “And if I consider you detrimental to my health and well-being?”

At least he's honest. Severus met Harry's eyes. “When have I ever hurt you, Harry?”

“You haven't. You will. You said it yourself.”

“I assume you refer to me telling you that I would hit you for putting yourself in danger...”

“Yeah. So you gonna tell me how getting beat up is not 'detrimental to my health and well-being?' I'll admit my survival instinct needs some work but even I can figure that one out.”

Severus stared at him as a realization came to him. He doesn't understand. At all. “I told you that I would do things differently than your relatives...”

“What's it matter to me that you've got a different method? You got your own, humanitarian way of beating a kid up? Forgive me if I don't want to try it.”

“Harry, I have said it before; I will not harm you. I have no intention of 'beating you up'.” Does he still think that of me?

“Oh? What do you call it then? 'Proper discipline?'”

Oh, Merlin. He really does still think that of me. “Harry when I said I would hit you - I might smack you a few times if I really feel it's necessary, yes. The difference is that you will not be damaged by it.” How is it that I have not explained this before?

“Yeah no problem. I'm young: I'll just 'bounce right back.' Ready to work by the next morning.” Harry answered sarcastically.

“Would you listen to me for once in your miserable existence?” Severus snapped, heart constricting at the implications of the boy's words.

Harry shut up, finding the man's words strangely painful, before muttering under his breath. “Not like you've improved it, asshole.”

Snape's head snapped around to look at Harry. “I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that, and you are not going to repeat it, is that understood?”

Harry just lifted his chin stubbornly. Fine. Asshole.

Snape returned to his belated explanation. “Harry when I say no damage, I mean no damage. I know you don't believe me but you will never bruise, scar, or bleed at my hand.”

“You're right. I don't believe you.” Harry said bluntly.

“How's this, then? If I ever really hurt you- which I won't- I want you to go talk to somebody. Professor McGonagall, Madame Pomfrey, hell even Mr. Zabini if you won't talk to an adult.”

“What could Blaise do about it? I don't know if you noticed lately but this is an adult's world. He'd just have to go to somebody else. Somebody else who wouldn't care.” Harry said bitterly.

“Can you honestly tell me you think that if you went to Professor McGonagall with marks on your skin that I gave you, that she would do nothing? Do you really believe that of Madame Pomfrey?”

Harry didn't say anything. No. I can't say that about them.

“Answer me, please.”

“No.”

“No, you won't answer, or no, you don't think that?”

Harry answered quietly, anger forgotten. “No, I don't think that.”

Severus was relieved. For a moment he'd not been sure if the boy trusted anyone, even the two women.

“Good. Because I can tell you with a hundred-percent certainty that if I harmed you they would flay me alive. What's more, Minerva is a significantly more powerful witch than I will ever be, and she has told me, and in no uncertain terms, that if I harm you she will personally strip the skin from my body. You can ask her.” Though I know you won't.

Harry was blown away, but Snape wasn't finished.

“And your friend Blaise wouldn't have to go to adults, either. You believe that Percy Weasley played a prank on Marcus Flint because he thought he could get points out of it? I assure you that it would take a lot more than that to make him break the status quo. He's doing it for you, and so are many others.”

Harry just looked at him, something painful curling in his chest. Severus watched him, seeing the budding light in the boy's eyes. “You are not alone here, Harry. If you feel unsafe for any reason – even from me or another professor – there will always be someone to go to.”

Feeling vulnerable, and unable to control his expression, Harry turned back to face the corner. He preferred, for once, to have his back to Snape rather than let the man see how his words effected Harry. Those words made far too much sense to make him comfortable. It can't be that simple. You- you don't go to one adult because another hit you. You just don't. But if he could go to a kid-

And Harry couldn't deny McGonagall's protective streak. She protected her Lions, and she counted Harry among them. And Snape – he'd said that he wouldn't hit Harry, and Harry'd naturally dismissed that. But if the man couldn't...

Finally Harry decided to just ask.

“Why are you still around if you can't hit me?”

Snape looked at him strangely. “A lot of people like having children around without wanting to hurt them, Harry.”

“Not me. Nobody wants a Freak. I'll have you know that I'm 'a combination of bad blood and bad attitude.'” He quoted.

Not this again. “Harry,” Snape asked dangerously, “what did I say about calling yourself that particular word?”

Harry winced as he remembered. “Not to. Sorry.”

“Indeed. I will be washing your mouth out when we get done here.

Damnit! He can't- that stuff! How do I get out of this? Wait. Maybe- Harry licked his lips, then turned around to face Snape once more.

“Please don't.”

“No?” A request at last. “Why shouldn't I? And 'because it's none of my business' is not a good answer.”

Harry bit his lip and thought hard. “Because poisoning me counts as harm?” He tried.

And Snape actually laughed. “Nice try. Bad as that potion tastes, it's not poison. Try again.”

He's not mad? Okay... “Because 'freak' is not a curse word?”

“I never said it was. I just forbade you to call yourself that. Try again.”

Unable to think of a better reason, Harry tried one more very unlikely option. “Because I don't want you to?”

“That would work, if I didn't consider this necessary to getting my point across.”

“So if it weren't necessary?” Harry asked desperately.

“Perhaps.” Severus allowed. “You'd have to prove it.”

Prove it? What does he want? “I- I won't say it again?”

“That's a start. Why?”

“Because you don't want me to?”

“All about me.” Severus objected.

Harry sighed in frustration. What's wrong with that? You're the one with the power, here. “Because...it is not true?”

“Better. What is not true?”

“I'm – not a freak?”

“Are you asking me or telling me?”

“Telling you, sir.” Not that I understand why you want me to.

“Good. Say it, then.”

“I'm not a freak.”

“Very good.” Harry could hear his approval and felt strangely heartened by it, though he still couldn't understand it. You can't tell me I'm not obnoxious, though.

“For the record I also object to the implication that you somehow have 'bad blood.'” You REALLY owe me one, James.

“What do you know?”

Damn. I did not want to talk about this. “I knew your mother, Harry. She was-”

Harry cut him off. “I don't want to know.”

“Harry, we've been through this-”

“Fine. My parents were great people, they died to keep me alive, I'm very grateful. We done?”

Severus sighed. “Politely, Harry.”

Harry gritted his teeth. “Can. we. Please. Drop it?

“Very well. I'll drop it for now.”

“You will?”

“Yes. Next time ask politely the first time.”

Not likely.

“It is also untrue that nobody wants you.”

Harry snorted. “You don't know the Dursleys, then.” Well, Aunt Petunia, maybe...She at least fed him and warned him when Vernon was going to come home drunk.

“I was not talking about the Dursleys, Harry.”

Then who- He didn't want to know. “Whatever. You're wrong. Freak or not, bad blood or not, I'm obnoxious. People want pretty, happy children, not-”

“You?” Merlin, how do I say this without scaring him off? “I have stuck around, Harry.”

“Yeah. That's what I can't figure out.” That, and how to get rid of you.

“Like I said, there are people who like having a child around without wanting to hurt him or her.”

“Yeah. There are gentle, loving, people who want pretty, happy children. Neither of us fit that model. You can't be saying that you like having me around.”

Severus met Harry's eyes despite his own embarrassment. I really do have to say it. “When you're not screaming at me, yes. That is precisely what I am saying.”

It was true, too. The boy wasn't easy to get along with, for sure, but he was smart, and resilient, and gutsy, and even occasionally made Severus laugh. He thinks almost like I do...no wonder people don't like him. He almost smiled as he remembered what he'd once thought of the boy's spitfire attitude. It's 'spirit' or 'Gryffindor courage'... only the boy's a Slytherin...a very Gryffindor Slytherin. For once that didn't seem negative.

Harry's detentions were over after today, and the Potions Master found he didn't want him to leave. He'd gotten used to the company, while he graded papers and did other desk work, and those few times that he'd managed to get Harry to joke a little bit felt like he'd found an unexpected gem, making him think that maybe Harry didn't entirely hate him. Maybe. And now he'd admitted that he liked Harry-

Harry almost laughed. “So your logic is, you're not going to hit me because you'll be in trouble with McGonagall if you do, and you're sticking around anyway because you like me?”

“No.” Said Severus seriously. “My 'logic' is that besides fearing Professor McGonagall's wrath I have no desire to hit you, and I'm sticking around because I like you.”

“That's not logic.”

“No, it's not.” Severus agreed. “That doesn't mean it is not true.”

“Also doesn't mean it is.” It's not.

Severus sighed “I am not going to convince you in one conversation, Harry. Do think about it, please.”

Harry looked at him consideringly. Why does this man always want me to 'think about' things? Anyway...maybe.

“In the meantime, back to hitting friends when they say things you don't appreciate.”

I am bloody tired of talking. “Okay, already. I get it. Don't do it.”

“Don't do it why? And don't-”

Harry rolled his eyes. “-say 'because you said not to'?”

“I was going to say 'make it about me,' but yes, that is essentially what I meant.”

“Fine. How's 'because it's not friendly?' Blaise knows I don't play well with others. He shouldn't have messed with me.”

“That does not make it 'okay' for you to hit him. It is more than unfriendly, Harry, it is violent, and frankly immature. Why couldn't you just tell him to leave you alone?”

“Words weren't working.

“Then why didn't you leave?”

Harry flushed and finally admitted, “I got mad.”

“You admit that you should have done differently, then?”

Fine. “Yeah.”

“Good. That is all I needed. You should consider apologizing, though.”

“What about him? He wouldn't let me alone!”

“As well he shouldn't have, given what he was thinking. He owes you no apology for being a good friend.”

“How much did he tell you?”

“Nothing that I didn't know already. He did not know how much I already knew, and came to me to make sure you were safe.”

“Then I owe him no apology.”

“Just as you thought you owed Kallie no apology, Harry?”

“It's not the same.”

“How not the same? You hurt a friend who wanted to help you, and you want to blame him.”

“I'm not dying.”

“You were when you got here last month. They almost killed you. You blame Blaise for wanting to protect you from that?”

Once again, Harry turned away from Snape and towards the wall. I wouldn't have died. Vernon wouldn't- I wouldn't have died.

“Perhaps this is another thing you have to figure out for yourself. You should take a look at your friend's face before you decide not to apologize.” Harry just ignored him.

“Harry?”

“I'm done talking.”

“You're being rude.”

“I don't 'do' polite.” And, much to Severus' frustration, Harry was silent for the rest of his hour in the corner. Finally Severus called him out of the corner to write lines, and the boy finally looked up at him in surprise at what was written on the paper. Severus smirked at him, and Harry didn't comment, choosing to just start writing the strangely short phrase:

1. I am not a freak.

2. I am not a freak.

3. I am not a freak.

The End.
End Notes:
:0( sad bunny

:0) happy bunny


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1785