Life as Dictated by a Talking Hat by RhiannanT
Past Featured StorySummary: Before Harry arrives at Hogwarts, the faculty have a meeting and decide that Harry will need a mentor to help him adjust, keep him out of trouble, and make protecting him easier. They decide that this person should the Head of the House into which Harry is sorted, presumably Minerva McGonagall. But things, of course, don't turn out as planned, and Harry is harder to deal with than anyone expected. Nobody asked him if he wanted a mentor, after all...

NOTE: This story has a prologue. It is not necessary to the plot of the story, but if you wish to read it, it is called(predictably enough) 'Prologue to Life as Dictated by a Talking Hat'
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Life as Dictated by a Talking Hat
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 194634 Read: 842219 Published: 15 Mar 2009 Updated: 24 Jul 2010
Honesty by RhiannanT
Author's Notes:
Hiiiiii!!!! Sorry (for the third time in a row) that this is sooooo laaaaaaattteee!!! I took an impromptu break with a really, really good book series. (Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series is AWESOME if you like really gritty vampire fantasy. Don't be put off by the overly-sexual covers - they have very little to do with the actual plot of the story.) Anyway thanks sooooo much for all the reviews!! You earned TWO bunnnies. (One for 20 reviews, one for patience.) Hope you like the chappie!!!

:0{ mustache bunny
===(:)0) scuba bunny

“Master Harry Potter is in trouble again, sir?” Asked Kallie when she brought Harry his meal late Monday evening.

“Yeah.” Answered Harry, noticing that she was wearing a skirt and blouse made of the fabric he'd given her. She's probably the best-dressed house-elf in the castle. He thought proudly.

Kallie put her hands on her hips. “And what has Master Harry Potter sir done this time?”

Harry smiled. “I pulled off a wicked prank on Marcus Flint.”

Abruptly Kallie looked very worried. “You are the one that hurt Mr. Flint, sir?”

“Hurt him?” Harry asked, confused. “I didn't hurt him, I just messed with his robes. Did somebody hurt him?” He couldn't feel particularly unhappy about that, but Kallie seemed upset.

“Yes sir. Somebody hurt him real bad, sir. He's in St. Mungo's, sir.”

“Hmm.” That's interesting. I guess the contest is over, then? I wonder who won.

“So it wasn't you, sir?” Kallie said hopefully.

“No, Kallie. Snape got mad because Flint almost hit me, actually.”

“Mad at you, sir, or mad at Marcus Flint?”

“Both, actually.” Come to think of it, he seemed a lot angrier at Flint. Suddenly Harry had an awful thought. Snape wouldn't...he would. I know he would, if he had a reason. Not himself, maybe, but...Harry remembered his impression at the beginning of the term that Snape was a dangerous man. Later he had concluded that Snape was protecting him, but now he realized that that didn't make him any less dangerous. Is protecting me enough motivation to hurt Flint? Snape had protected him from Filch with threats of violence, and Harry had never doubted that the man would do it. But surely if Snape'd beaten up a student, or ordered it, or...whatever...he'd have lost his job? He didn't lose his job for starting that contest...Abruptly Harry didn't care. Flint's the bad guy. It's his own fault if somebody bigger came along to beat him up. Knowing whether Snape was responsible for Flint wasn't really important. Whether Snape had done it or not, Harry was willing to bet that he would, if he thought he had to. And if he decides the Dursleys are dangerous to me? Harry suddenly realized. They've done worse than Flint...if you count it all together they've killed me like six times. Tomorrow was Tuesday, and Harry'd had every intention of avoiding Snape entirely, but...I've got to talk to him. I dunno if it'll do any good, but...

Harry went to bed with that thought on his mind. Needless to say, he didn't sleep well.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Tuesday morning, the word was out that somebody had done to Marcus Flint what Flint had done to Harry. Students whispered in class and in the hallways about what was going on. Harry, Theo, and Blaise listened, and found that the older students' comments were the most interesting. The Gryffindors were quick to blame the Slytherins, because surely none of the Gryffindors could be so violent, but they weren't sure what to think beyond that. The Slytherins had beat up one of their own, in defense of one of their own. Harry was almost an honorary Gryffindor, however, so it almost felt like the Slytherins had beat up one of their own in defense of a Gryffindor. Besides that, the two houses had never been more united than when both were pranking Marcus Flint. The Gryffindors 'blamed' Slytherin for the beating because of their prejudices against the house, but the older students especially gave the act itself a certain grudging approval. As a result the whole thing left them largely confused. The Slytherins didn't entirely disagree that it was likely Slytherins who beat up Flint, because as far as they were concerned the Gryffindors were overall too idealistic to do what was necessary. They didn't even see it as an accusation, really, but as a compliment. Slytherin took care of its own, and refused to be ashamed of that.

Just before lunch, Harry was rather intrigued to find a large group of Gryffindors, including Percy Weasley, the twins, and Lee Jordan, in a corridor with their heads together, talking intensely. Harry was even more interested when they stopped talking as soon as he, or anybody else, got close enough to listen in. Most of the group were on the Gryfindor Quiddich team, but not all, and moreover Percy was actively contributing to the discussion. Finally the bell rang for lunch and they all walked away towards the Great Hall. Harry moved to follow before remembering that he was grounded and required to eat in the dorm. Damn you, Snape He thought as he returned to his common room. That could have been interesting.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Hey Harry!!” Theo bounced through the portrait hole enthusiastically, followed more sedately by Blaise. Harry grinned when he noticed the food that they'd brought with them from the Great Hall. Theo and Blaise had taken to eating with Harry in the common room instead of the Great Hall when he was grounded the last time, and apparently had decided to do so again.

“Hay is for horses, Theo.” Harry commented, earning a strange look and a shrug from both boys.

“Muggle phrase, Harry?"

"Yeah," answered Harry, blushing.

"Okay whatever. Guess what?!

“What?”

“Okay, so, you know how we were tied with Gryffindor on the whole prank war thing?”

“Yeah...”

“Well the contest is over, 'cause Flint left, and WE WON!!”

“Wait, we won? Who got in a prank?”

“Nobody.” Put in Blaise, “Believe it or not the Gryffindors conceded.”

“They-why??

“As they put it, 'you started the contest, and you finished it.' I think they didn't want to be too blunt and get Snape in trouble, but he started giving points in the first place, and everybody figures we took out Flint yesterday, so...”

“I can't believe they'd be that...well...fair.” Harry said. “I mean, sure Hermione figures we're all right, but other than that even Ron figures we're all backstabbing slimeballs.”

“I can believe it.” Said Blaise. “It was probably initiated by Fred and George. They made the announcement.”

“Maybe,” put in Harry, wondering. “They've been with us from the beginning. Come to think of it I saw all their pranksters talking together outside the Great Hall before lunch. They really conceded?”

“They really did. Stood up in the Great Hall and announced to the world that -and I quote- 'given that the goal of the operation was to get rid of Marcus Flint, and given that the contest was begun and the goal finally accomplished in a way that- well- can't really be awarded points- we concede victory to the Slytherins. Congratulations, your skill at underhanded doings is superior to ours'”

“He sounded just like the Minister of Magic.” Theo enthused. “'Your skill at underhanded doings is superior to ours.' It was great.”

“I don't think they meant it as a compliment, Theo.” Blaise commented, looking suddenly thoughtful.

“From the twins it is. Maybe they put it that way to appease the other lions.” Harry replied. “Did any of the Slytherins say anything?”

“No.” Answered Blaise, “But while the others were all looking at Fred and George, Fred and George were looking up at Snape, and he nodded to them.”

“To the twins?” Harry asked incredulously.

“To the twins.” Confirmed Blaise. “Never seen him look that friendly to a Gryffindor.”

“Dude it's like the sky is falling.” breathed Harry.

“Yup, and you're tearing it down.”

“Yes, Theo. I am entirely responsible for everything that goes oddly around here.” Harry responded sarcastically. He realized after a second that he sounded more annoyed that he actually was, and smiled apologetically.

“Perhaps not.” commented Blaise, ignoring the sarcasm, “but I agree with Theo. Snape's happy with the twins because they helped him help you, and it was enough to convince him to get over the grudge. I figure, he owed them. He can give credit where credit is due, if they can. Anyway, that's why we were late getting here.”

“Whatever.” Harry said, not wanting to talk about Snape or his grounding. “Do we know who beat up Flint?”

“No.” Said Theo regretfully. “Nobody does. He was just dropped off outside the hospital wing. Nobody saw anything, not even Flint.”

Daaaaamn.” Commented Blaise, sounding impressed. “That takes some skill.

“Flint claims Snape ordered it. That's part of why the Gryffindors are so sure it's us.” Added Theo.

Harry's eyes widened. “Why isn't Snape in trouble, then?”

“Nobody can prove anything. Lots of students saw that Snape was pissed at Flint, but then so were McGonagall and Flitwick.”

“McGonagall and Flitwick aren't Snape.” Harry put in.

Blaise looked at Harry, eyes as wide as his. “You think he did it.” He breathed. “You think Snape really ordered someone to beat up Flint.”

“I think it's possible.” Answered Harry seriously. “Don't you?”

Blaise paused thoughtfully. Theo looked confused, and finally said, “But he's a teacher, Harry.”

“Doesn't matter.” Said Blaise. He looked at Harry in a moment of perfect understanding, before a sudden realization made his eyes fill with horror. “Harry, your family- you don't think-”

“Maybe not if I don't want him to.” Harry answered. “I'm gonna talk to him.”

Blaise nodded briefly. “You'd better.” He seemed like he wanted to say something more, but Harry cut him off.

“He has no reason to go after them.”

“Of course not.” Answered Blaise sarcastically as Theo looked back and forth between the two of them in confusion. “I'm sure they're his very favorite people.”

Harry's eyes blazed. “I will talk to him, okay? Drop it.”

Blaise looked frustrated, but when Theo started talking about the day's charms lesson he went along with it without complaint.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Severus Snape looked up from the pile of fifth-year essays he was grading.

“Come in.”

His eyes widened slightly to see Harry come in and sit gingerly in front of his desk, but he hid it before meeting the boy's eyes. He never seeks me out, if he has another option. What is going on? Harry didn't say anything, though, and Severus quickly got impatient.

“Well?”

The boy seemed to be at a complete loss for what to say. “I heard- well, it's rumored-”

“Yes?” He encouraged, trying to hide his impatience.

“PeoplethinkmaybeyouorderedtheattackonMarcusFlint.”

Well that was...articulate. “I apologize, Mr. Potter, but I do not speak idiot. Try again.”

Harry glared at him and, just like that, got himself together. “There's a rumor that you were involved in what happened to Marcus Flint, sir.”

“I am aware. Do you have a point?” Severus kept his voice carefully neutral.

“It's just that-” Finally Harry gave up on being polite and spoke bluntly. “I don't think you like my relatives much, sir. I don't either, but I do not want them hurt.”

Perfect. He would make that connection. “You're not dumb, are you, Mr. Potter?”

Harry smiled inwardly, but spoke seriously. “My relatives, sir?”

“I am...unlikely...to physically hurt people just because I dislike them, Mr. Potter.” Snape said cautiously.

“With all due respect, sir," started Harry sarcastically, "unlikely is not good enough, and Flint wasn't hurt because of your 'dislike'.”

“Nobody can know for sure that he was hurt because of my anything, Mr. Potter.”

“I know that, sir." he said, lifting his chin. "But some might...figure it out...if my relatives are hurt as well.”

He's threatening me? Over this? Severus looked down at the boy, bewildered. “Why do you protect them?”

Harry abruptly lost his anger, and suddenly seemed as confused as Severus felt. “They're my family, sir. How could I not?”

I didn't protect mine. Reflected Severus morosely, but the boy was still speaking.

“Promise me you won't hurt them." Harry demanded, then paused before adding, "Please."

“You think my promise is worth something?” Severus asked, still confused.

“I don't know if anything you say is worth anything.” Harry said resentfully.

“Then why ask?”

“What choice do I have?" he finally asked angrily. "I can't prevent you from doing anything you might want to. So far you haven't wanted to, on a lot of those things, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't if you did want to. You can do whatever you want.”

“I'm afraid I understood very little of that, Harry.”

“Fine. You're an adult, and a wizard besides. You want to hurt me, or my relatives, or anybody, then I'm screwed. The only measure of safety I or anybody has is that you maybe don't want to. Except I'm thinking maybe you do want to hurt my relatives, sir.”

“Perhaps.” Badly. And you're not improving the situation.

“So...please don't.”

Damn. “Very well. I promise.”

Harry's anger drained out of him. “I- Thank you. Sir.” He said, suddenly respectful.

“You're welcome. One question, though. Do you see all adults that way, or just me?”

“It's true of all adults, isn't it?”

“No, actually. Think about it, Harry. There may be adults willing to hurt you, and perhaps you can't do anything about it by yourself, but that is why you go find another adult.”

“Here maybe.” Harry admitted.

“Here?”

“At Hogwarts.”

“Not at home?”

Harry looked at him strangely. “No.” Duh.

“Why not?”

“Because it's different. Maybe here McGonagall or Pomfrey would protect me. Maybe. But nobody at home gives a damn what happens to me, as long as they don't have to deal with it.”

“Surely your teachers, or the school nurse?”

“Yeah, I tried that once.” Harry said bitterly. “Didn't work out.”

“How not?”

Harry sighed. How dumb are you? Of course it didn't work. “One of my teachers asked me where a bruise came from, and I told her the truth. My relatives told her a different story, and of course she believed them.”

“And so instead of protecting you your teacher got you in trouble with your relatives.”

“Duh. As you said, I am not dumb, sir. I learned.”

“Learned what?”

“Not to be so bloody naïve. Adults believe other adults, especially over obnoxious Fr-kids who fight with other kids and curse at their teachers.”

“And you didn't tell anybody else? Why?”

Harry lifted his chin and glared. “Why don't you guess, sir?”

“Very well.” Snape said bluntly. “I guess that your uncle beat you to within an inch of your life and you never told another soul.”

Harry's mouth dropped open. Previous to this they'd always spoken around what had happened to him. They had never talked about it so openly, and he had thought and hoped that they never would.

You don't talk about that. You don't ever talk about that.

He clenched his teeth. “It was a rhetorical question, sir.”

“But you did ask for a guess. I am tired of ignoring what has happened to you, Harry. You have to talk to me. Otherwise there's only so much I can do about it.”

Harry tightened his jaw even further and spoke coldly. “You can't do anything about it because nothing happened. Nothing, you understand? I got in trouble with my relatives for lying to my teacher about a bruise I got playing soccer in the backyard with my cousin. My aunt and uncle would never dream of hurting me.”

Severus was shocked. “You are lying.”

You keep saying you want to protect me. In that case you damned well better believe me when I tell you nothing happened and back off. You know nothing, okay?”

“I know that somebody hurt you, Harry.”

“Yes.” Harry said furiously. “You know that somebody hurt me. Once. You don't know who, and you don't know if it happened more than once. You can't make me tell you anything, sir. You can't make me speak to you at all.

Technically, I can. He wasn't going to tell Harry that, though. The boy feared him enough as it was. “That is true, but I don't have to. No matter what you tell me, your relatives will never hurt you again. I know you're angry and I know you don't want to talk to me, but I will protect you from them, Harry.”

Suddenly Harry remembered where the conversation had started and his anger turned to panic. “Don't hurt them!”

“I promise you, Harry. I won't hurt them if you do not want me to, but I will protect you whether you want it or not. They will not hurt you again.”

Harry just stared at him for a second, caught between anger and anxiety. “Whatever you say, sir. You got my message. I'm leaving.”

Yes, but you didn't get mine. Nevertheless Severus decided to give the boy a break. “Very well. Don't forget to apologize to your professors.”

Harry just left without saying goodbye.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Realizing that the next evening was his deadline to apologize to his professors, and that he didn't have Sprout's class before then, Harry headed straight for the greenhouse from Snape's office. He could see from the outside that Sprout was bustling around and messing with her plants, and reminded himself that this was the easiest apology of the day: he still had to talk to Quirrell and Sinestra when he was done. Steeling himself, he knocked softly on the glass. The Professor let him in and he gave her his (mostly memorized) spiel.

“I came to apologize for my behavior in your class. I have been unnecessarily rude and disrespectful. I apologize and will attempt to do better in the future.”

Sprout studied him for a moment, a slight smile on her face. “So who do I tell that you apologized?”

Harry smiled a little bit in return, relieved that she wasn't going to make a deal out of it. “Professor Snape.”

“Very well, I'll tell him. You're done.”

“Thank you, Professor.” Harry said sincerely, before turning and running back to the castle and Quirrell's office.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Professor Quirrell?” Harry's pulse raced as the man looked up at him.

“Ha-arry Pot-ter. What b-brings you h-here?”

He stutters so much he can't hardly cast spells. Harry reminded himself. If he comes after you you can just hex him. Harry carefully kept his gaze down to avoid the headache he got from looking at the man, and spoke. “I came to apologize for my rudeness in your class-”

“Qu-quite all r-right, M-Mister Potter. J-just do b-better in the future.”

Harry choked down his instinctive sarcasm and spoke respectfully. “Yes sir. May I be dismissed, sir?”

“G-Go ahead. I'll s-see you tom-morow.”

“Yes sir. Goodbye sir.”

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Professor Sinestra.”

“Mr. Potter.”

“I came to apologize for my behavior in your class. I have been rude and disrespectful. I apologize and I will try to do better in the future.”

“Oh, please. No you won't. You're an obnoxious little brat and you'll stay that way, won't you?.”

Harry clenched his teeth but stayed silent.

“Answer me.”

“No Professor. I will attempt to remain polite.” If only out loud.

“Don't you lie to me.”

Harry kept his tone as civil as possible and spoke slowly. “What do you want me to say, Professor?”

“I want you to be sincere.

“Professor Snape asked me to apologize to you, Professor. I am doing what I can.”

“I am not convinced."

"Well, then, there is nothing I can do. I can either obey Snape or you, and, frankly, Snape can do a lot more to me than you can. And so I repeat. I'm sorry for being rude. I'll attempt to do better in the future. May I go now, Professor?"

"No. Ten points from Slytherin for your insolence and dishonesty.”

Harry gave up on holding his temper. “Very well, Professor. You want sincerity? I sincerely dislike you. You're as rude to me as I am to you and of the two of us I'm the more intelligent. Please do us all a favor and jump off of your tower, you unattractive, unpleasant HARPY.”

Sinestra stood and gasped like a stranded fish before grabbing Harry's arm and marching him down the stairs.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Snape answered the door promptly looked at Harry briefly before speaking neutrally.

“Good afternoon, Harry. Professor Sinestra.”

“Good afternoon, Professor Snape. You are responsible for this – rat?”

“The boy is my ward, yes.” Drawled Severus.

The words relaxed Harry marginally, as he remembered that when he was Snape's 'ward', he was probably safe. Sinestra didn't seem to pick up the implication. “Well would you deal with him, please? The boy's a complete delinquent!”

“Excuse me, Aurora, but I have a meeting with Minerva in fifteen minutes. Please release the boy's arm and tell me what he has done.”

Sinestra didn't loosen her grip. “He insulted me! To my face!

Release the boy's arm, Aurora.”

“Fine.” Harry relaxed as the pressure on his arm went away. Why's he being so...nice? He's not mad at me from earlier? “But he insulted me, Severus!”

“Oh? And what did he say?”

“He called me a harpy!

Honestly, woman, you are a harpy. Severus lifted an eyebrow at Harry, and the boy shrugged. “I tried to apologize to her like you asked, but she wouldn't believe me, and took points for my supposed dishonesty. She asked me to be sincere, so I told her my opinion of her as politely as I could manage.”

Severus looked back to Sinestra. “Perhaps, Aurora, it would be wise to not ask for the truth if you do not actually want it.”

“The-what- Severus!

Severus started getting annoyed. “What do you estimate that the boy has done wrong, Aurora? He tried to apologize, you asked him to be honest, he honored your demand. You cannot expect him to be both honest and polite when you've made the two incompatible. Perhaps if the boy's words bother you then next time you should settle for polite.”

“He told me to jump off of the Astronomy tower!”

Severus looked at Harry, and Harry shrugged again, smiling a little. “I said please.”

Finally Severus gave up and smirked. “Any other complaints, Aurora, or may I prepare for my meeting?”

“Fine.” Huffed Sinestra. “I'll leave.”

Harry and Snape watched as the woman stomped off, and Harry thought about the conversation. He listened to me. Isn't he mad at me?

“Thanks, sir.”

“You're welcome. Next time try to be more polite.”

“I did try, sir. She doesn't care if I'm polite or not, she's just out to get me.”

“All right. Are you finished apologizing to your professors?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good. Dismissed, then.”

“Thank you sir.”

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

“Good afternoon, Severus.”

“Good afternoon, Minerva. You wished to see me?”

“Yes, it's about Harry.”

Severus frowned. “There's a problem? I was under the impression that he was doing well in your class.”

“Oh, he is doing quite well, Severus, and with little or no effort. That is exactly the problem. I prepare an hour-long lesson on how to transfigure an animal into an inanimate object and he's finished before I've told him anything about how to actually do it. He does more advanced magic amusing himself while I teach the rest of the class than he does for the class itself. He's bored, and the other students are getting frustrated.”

“I see. What do you suggest?”

“Well, I was considering moving him up a year or two, but my second and third-year classes follow a completely different schedule than the first-years do. It would interfere with his other classes.”

“That's not acceptable, unfortunately. He has an easy time in Transfigurations and Charms, and he's acceptable in Defense, but his History of Magic grades are still abysmal, and he could do a lot better in Astronomy and Potions as well.”

“I did have another idea, but-”

“But?”

“It would require a fair amount of effort on your part, Severus.”

Severus frowned thoughtfully. “How so?”

“Harry needs training in his wandless magic as much as he needs it in transfigurations, Severus. I am willing to tutor him in transfigurations once a week, but someone needs to teach him wandless magic. And, well-”

“Yes?” Severus cut in impatiently.

“I figured you could use some time to just talk to him.”

“About his family?”

“Yes and no. About everything, Severus. So far he only sees you when he's in trouble.”

Severus stiffened. I'm doing what I can, woman. “He avoids me.”

“I realize, Severus.” Minerva conciliated. “That is why I propose you take an hour a week solely to talk to him. Just an hour a week when he can't avoid you.”

“He'll hate it.”

“Probably, Severus, but since when has that bothered you?”

Since it was him. Severus dismissed the thought quickly. “A point. So your idea is, instead of Transfigurations class three times a week, he has private tutoring in Transfigurations once a week, private tutoring in wandless magic once a week, and- what? Just talking?- once a week?”

“Exactly. It's a good plan.” Minerva said defensively.

“It is, actually.” Severus said thoughtfully, then raised an eyebrow. “I don't suppose you'd be willing to inform him for me?”

Minerva smiled. “Coward. How scary can an eleven-year-old be?”

“You, too, are a Head of House, Minerva. Have you observed nothing?

Minerva smiled back. "Point taken. You are clearly much braver than I. Do please go and save me from the eleven-year-olds."

The corner of Severus' mouth twitched. "I take it you still won't tell him for me."

"No way."

Severus sighed. "Damn."

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Severus waited until his normal Friday meeting with Harry to talk to him about his new schedule.

“No.” Harry stated flatly.

“No?”

“No. Tutoring in transfigurations sounds great, and I want to learn wandless magic, too, but there's no way I'm going to sit and talk to you for an hour once a week. Not happening.”

“Why not?”

Harry rolled his eyes. “You may have missed it the last six times I said it, sir, but I am sick of you interfering in my life. It's bad enough that I have to talk to you at these stupid meetings, I won't do any more. No.”

Since when do you do anything for me willingly? “You may have missed it in my phrasing, Mr. Potter, but you don't have a choice. I'll remind you that the last time you tried to avoid me ended badly.” Please don't make this any more difficult than it has to be. I know you hate me.

Harry seemed caught between defeat and anger. “You're right. You can force me. You can force me to show up, you can force me to do all sorts of things. Given that you're a wizard, you probably actually can force me to speak and tell the truth.” Anger finally won out, and Harry's voice rose. “But damnit, sir, you objected on Tuesday when I said that's how I see you. You told me that you would protect me from that sort of thing.”

Severus stopped for a bit. Damn, he's right. He had known that Harry wouldn't like being made to talk to him. He hadn't thought the boy would see it as a betrayal. I can't force this. He realized. If he talks to me, it's got to be because he wants to. First things first, though-

Language, Harry.” Harry just looked at him challengingly, and Severus decided to just continue, figuring it would be counter-productive to get angry at the boy now. “As it happens, you're right. I can force you to speak, but I am not willing. I propose a- compromise- if you will.”

Harry's look of challenge morphed slowly into one of wary confusion, and he spoke neutrally. “I'm listening.”

“I'm going to show you a room, and I'm going to require that you spend an hour there with me once a week. Beyond that, I won't require anything. In that room, for that hour, you do what you want: read, do homework, play, whatever. I would encourage you to talk to me, but if you don't want to I won't force it. If you do talk to me, you say what you want to. If you want to spend an hour throwing insults and curses at me, so be it. Nothing you say will get you in trouble.”

“Nothing?”

“Absolutely nothing. You say whatever you want, and I won't stop you.”

“I- okay.”

“Good.” Thank Merlin. With any luck, he'll even talk to me.He almost snorted. Sure, Severus. While you're at it, why not dream yourself a summer home in Tuscany?

This could be fun. Thought Harry.

The End.
End Notes:
Little short - I found this one kinda depressing, I guess. Hope you liked it!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1785