Brothers of Bond by watercrystals
Summary: On the night of October 31st, when Voldemort showed up to kill Harry, he found that two of his Death Eaters were already there; traitors. That night left two boys orphaned and seeing no other option, Dumbledore placed both boys on the Dursley's doorstep. Draco and Harry grow up bonding as brothers for they're the only other person they've got to rely on. Come their year at Hogwarts, they're both sorted into Gryffindor. But Severus Snape watches them...will he be able to take them in when they need him; his godson and a boy that should have been his son?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year, 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 68446 Read: 111231 Published: 03 Sep 2009 Updated: 08 Oct 2010
What Morning Brings by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the slight delay in updating, had to actually write it :P. Also I feel that there is more I could have done to this chapter but no matter, enjoy!

Snape made his way up the stairs and towards the room with two bowls, two glasses of milk and four pieces of toast levitating in front of him. As he entered, silence fell over him which gave him a good reason to think that they had been discussing something they didn't want him to overhear.

"Eat" He commanded, swishing his wand so the boys got a bowl of chicken and vegetable soup each, along with a plate of two pieces of buttered toast. The glasses of milk landed closest to each boy on the bedside table as they stared at their bowls hungrily and gripped their spoons.

"Thanks" Harry said.

"Yeah, thank-you, sir" Draco added and said no more as he dived into his food.

Snape ignored the nagging part of his brain that ordered him to enforce manners and warn them not to soil the beds or eat too fast. He just stood at the doorway and watched them eat for a moment, surprised that they didn't even seem to notice his lingering presence.

After the bowl, plate and glasses were spotless, Snape summoned then with his wand and sent them downstairs to wash themselves. It was then that he approached the boys and stood at the end of their beds; perfectly in between them both.

Now they seemed to be unaware of nothing other than his presence and he prefered it that way for the moment.

"Your injuries are no longer aching, I presume?" Snape raised an eyebrow at them each and they both nodded in response although it was surprisingly dificult for him to be certain of their honesty, but he left it alone for now. Surely if they were in a high level of pain or suffering than they'd have spoken up? Perhaps not, if they had just been sitting in their room at Privit Drive and attempting to endure what they should never have even received.

"I request a full explanation as to how these injuries came about" He told them but continued when they opened their mouths to protest and paled slightly.

"Not now. However I do expect the details in all honestly when I do require them" He said and they closed their mouths again.

"Neither of you will be returning to that house for the duration of this summer" Snape added, although he probably should have checked in with Dumbledore before making promises to the boys. But Snape knew how the blood wards worked and Harry had remained at the house long enough for them to remain in effect, surely.

He noticed the emotions that flickered across their faces in the split instant that he'd informed them of that fact: relief, confusion, gratitude and anxiety.

"It is late" Snape then pointed out the obvious, although it probably wasn't actually very clear for the windows were too clouded to make out light or darkness and he had numerous lights on in the hallway outside that it could easily appear to still be late afternoon. But it had been nightfall when he'd collected them from that horrid household and they hadn't slept for long...so in all sense of the words; it was an obvious statement and he had no idea why he felt the need to state it.

"You each require more rest" Snape continued. "Do not leave this room unless it is to use the bathroom down the hall. Otherwise I expect you both to remain in bed and rest. I will summon you downstairs for breakfast at 7am sharp" He added and with a swish of his black cloak, he strode out of the room, using his wand to shut the bedroom door loudly behind him.

"Guess we better do as he says" Draco sighed.

"Are you okay?" He checked on Harry though with a curious rather than concerned glance.

"Yeah, much better now" Harry sighed. "Draco?"

"What is it, Harry?" Draco glanced over and saw an almost shy expression on his brother's face.

"Wanna sleep in my bed? I do believe that it's much more comfortable than yours" He tried a bit of light teasing to make the situation less awkward, but it was nights like these that they only felt truly safe when in each others close company. Any distance felt too far and cold.

"As if" Harry smirked and rolled his eyes but climbed out of his bed, testing his back cautiously as he walked and was relieved to sense that it really was only itching and numb now instead of burning painfully.

He got into the bed as Draco moved closer towards the wall to allow him space and they just lay there with their hands over the blankets and they heads rested on a pillow each.

"I don't know if Snape's gonna be nicer than Vernon, but at least we're safer here. I mean, he's a teacher so he can't really attack us...can he?" Draco asked.

"I dunno; we are on holiday" Harry sighed. "But I don't think he'll be like Vernon. Maybe he'll leave us alone and at least he feeds us."

"Yeah, he looked really mad when he found out what had happened" Draco smirked slightly at the brief image of the cowering Muggles.

"Really? Tell me about it" Harry grinned as well and settled comfortably to listen as Draco told him the details that he could remember from when Snape had come to rescue them mere hours ago.

Downstairs, Snape could barely make out their talking from downstairs even though they were trying to be rather quiet, but decided to just leave them; they would fall asleep soon enough anyway.


Harry awoke in the early hours of the morning and carefully climbed out of bed, trying hard not to wake Draco for they didn't need to get up yet and his brother loved to sleep in whenever he had the chance.

He crept to the door as fast as he could, trying to ease away the nausia from his mind and stomach but failed. He pushed open the door and peaked out to see that the hallway was empty and the only other door was shut, so Harry considered it safe and snuck the to bathroom.

He turned and locked the door before crouching barefoot over the toilet and heaved up everything he'd eaten the previous night. It was something he was used to, mostly after a beating or going days without food and than eating too much when he had the oppurtunity to consume food again.

Snape was downstairs reading over the Daily Prophet when he'd heard the bathroom door lock and the flush of the toilet so he naturally assumed that one of the boys was already awake. Although he'd thought that they'd be happy to sleep in late; perhaps they were up out of habit?

He sighed and glanced at the time to see that it was almost seven in the morning so he moved into the kitchen to prepare some breakfast as they were sure to be hungry...judging by their skinny figures, although Harry did seem to be lacking more than Draco.

Waving his wand, Snape cracked several eggs and hovered bacon onto the self-heated frying-pan before moving on to the toast.

He had expected the boys to come downstairs for breakfast but the minutes progressed and even when all the food was placed on the table, they hadn't made an appearance.

Sighing heavily to himself and grumbling under his breath, Snape finished his tasks and went upstairs in search of the youngeters.

He found Draco still dozing off in his bed whilst Harry's was neatly made but the folded over blankets on the edge of Draco's bed indicated that they may have shared their bed last night. Snape wasn't sure why two twelve-year-olds would do that (although Harry technically wasn't twelve until a few weeks), but he would ponder that later and continued to search for the second boy.

Snape found the bathroom was still locked and there was no sound from within so he knocked lightly, unaware that he had just startled Harry awake.

"Potter!" Snape snapped as he knocked again without a response.

"Surely you do not require the bathroom to yourself for an hour?" He asked and the door clicked open, revealing a very ill-looking and tired Harry.

"Sorry, I...fell asleep" Harry sighed as he had been huddled on the floor, nursing a sore stomach after being sick and he'd dozed off.

Snape said nothing as the boy's appearance had thrown him off guard for a moment. He'd been relatively okay the previous night, hadn't he?

"You appear to be ill" Snape observed.

"It's nothing" Harry replied out of reflex. "Should I wake Draco?"

"Breakfast is waiting so I believe that would be a wise move, unless he wishes to sleep through an important meal" Snape replied sarcastically.

Harry nodded, still clutching his stomach with one hand as he walked past but a hand on his shoulder caused him to pause.

"I will not have you being sick over my belongings, nor will you waste a required meal" Snape said and summoned a potion.

"Drink this" He handed it out to Harry.

"What is it?" Harry eyed the bottle cautiously but did take it from Snape although he made no move to drink it.

"Anti-nausia" Snape frowned and Harry sipped it down before handing the bottle back in disgust and Snape removed his firm grip from his shoulder.

With nothing else preventing him, Harry entered the bedroom he now shared with Draco and intended to wake his brother up while Snape went back downstairs to wait for them and reheat the food with a spell.

"Draco, wake up!" Harry shook his brother but the blond merely rolled over and grumbled in protest. "Come on!"

"Nnnn...no" Draco mumbled, ignoring the fact that Harry was trying to wrestle the blankets off him along with his pillow that he now hugged with all his might. And still his eyes did not open.

"Snape is waiting, aren't you hungry?" Harry growled, tossing the bedsheets back over his brother.

"Get up or you'll miss out!"

"Hmmm" Draco grumbled but the words seemed to have gotten through to him as he sleepily opened his eyes and yawned loudly.

"About time" Harry crossed his arms and then changed into the best faded shirt and torn pants that he owned.

Draco scowled at him but said nothing else as he climbed out of bed and ran a hand through his tussled hair and yawned again before taking in their surroundings and the memories of the previous night came flooding back.

Harry glanced over and saw the thoughtful but rather dark expression on Draco's face but decided to remain quiet for he was sure that he knew what he was thinking. Even though they both didn't think Snape would be anywhere near as bad as Vernon, they were still rather uncertain...but that wasn't what was on their minds. Draco kept thinking about how scared and powerless he had felt that night, how relieved he was to see Snape standing in the doorway and how confused he was now feeling about the entire ordeal.

Harry however was simply replaying the horrid event with Vernon and the darkness he felt when it ended, the way he could barely make sense of anything and how even the smallest of things took a the greatest of efforts and endurance. He followed Draco downstairs and they sat across from Snape at the table but while his brother tried to force the previous events from his mind, Harry couldn't help but continue to focus on them and sink deeper into his miserable state.

"Again, thanks" Draco said to Snape as he reached for his food hungrily but also in a possessive manner, as though Snape was going to take it all from him just as he was about to eat it.

"For last night" He elaborated while Harry say oblivious and Snape's face crinkled in dislike to the boy's eating habits.

Snape gave a small nod and said nothing, only thinking about how Draco wouldn't have even dared to say a word during a meal or use anything other than the most respectful amounts of manners. He sighed and bit back a comment as he forced his gaze to fall on Harry, who was barely touching his food and had a glint of darkness trained in his features as though he was pondering over something evil. Snape began to fear that the previous night had been worst than he'd originally realised.

Draco stopped eating suddenly and followed Snape's trail of vision to stare at Harry.

"Hey?" He shoved Harry lightly and the green-eyed boy glanced up in surprise as though he hadn't been aware of his brother's existance or how he had even made it downstairs.

"Sorry" Harry sighed and reached for his fork again.

Snape narrowed his gaze and looked away, noticing how the boy was eating faster now but he even had more manners than Draco. Or perhaps meals were more precious to the blond for it was gone in seconds.

Draco sighed after finishing his breakfast and thanked Snape several times before looking around the house in attempt to figure out how much work had to be done.

"Where should we start?" Harry asked him, looking around the room as well.

"Hm?" Snape glanced up and wondered what the boys were up to. No doubt planning to demolish his house judging by the serious looks they seemed to be sharing and the way they pointed at various parts of the room.

"They usually give us a list" Draco turned around to glance at Snape. "Sir, do you have a list of chores for us or should we just clean whatever needs it?"

"If I required a house-elf I would have summoned one by now" Snape said dryly, rather surprised by the question for he had no idea that a Malfoy could even consider doing housework. It was also painfully clear that the muggles had ground chores into them.

"But...how are we going to earn our stay?" Harry frowned.

"We..." He lowered his gaze and his fists curled on his knees. "We don't want to go back, sir" He said softly and Draco nodded worridly.

"And we want to thank you...for, well for saving us" The blond added with a determined nod.

Snpe eyed them both for a moment and pondered on the response that he should give.

"For the entire duration of your stay here, I merely request that you maintain a tidy bedroom and clean up after yourselves. I will not allow my house to become a playground nor will I tolerate laziness. However, I am quite capable of keeping this house in a reasonable condition without extra assistance" He told them and ignored the surprise that lined their features as they glanced at each other and than back to him.

"Whilst here you will eat the food I place on the table, you will go to sleep with I see fit and after your schoolwork is complete, I expect each of you to spend your free time quietly and without my unfortunate need to intervene. Any misbehaviour here will have consenquences" He added sternly and scowled lightly at their nervous expressions and the way that they shifted in their seats but he said nothing else. Snape waved a dismissing hand and expected them to go and play or something but they just looked more confused.

"You have free time now. Leave" He told them.

Harry and Draco left the table but had no idea what to do for they'd enver been given time to just do whatever they wanted except during breaks and Hogwarts but even then there had been a number of places they couldn't go (not that it had stopped them though) and things they weren't allowed to touch. But here it was just a house and Snape hadn't indicated any locations that were out of bounds or objects that couldn't be handled.

"Let's check the backyard" Draco offered for that was always where they spent very short breaks at the Dursleys and spent most of their time at Hogwarts.

"Good idea" Harry nodded and lead the way to the backdoor but they had to put their weight on the door to get it open.

"I guess Snape doesn't go out here much?" He grunted with effort and finally managed to squeeze out to gaze around at the yard.

"I dunno" Draco said as he spotted a garden filled with complicated and dangerous-looking herbs or other plants in the far left corner, some fully blanketed in shade. The boys guessed that they were potential potions ingredients and stayed clear of that section.

The yard wasn't very big and the grass was starting to look rather dry but what caught their attention was a huge tree in the right side of the yard that branched out and stood quite tall.

A grin crept across Draco's face as he stared at it and Harry glanced at him with a amused look for it was common knowledge between them that Draco simply loved to climb trees whenever he got the chance. Mrs Figg had let him climb her trees once but had feared he'd fall, although to this day he never had once fallen from a tree no matter how high he'd climbed, with the exception of the years when he was much younger.

Harry however, had fallen more than a dozen times and usually avoided going too high although he enjoyed the air breezing about his face and the fact that he was far from the ground.

Draco stood at the base of the tree and examined each branch and option before reaching and grapping hold of one and hoisted himself up. He did it with so much ease that anyone would think that he'd climbed this tree a hundred times before. Within minutes he was almost halfway and could already see over the high fence and other houses, alleyways and land came into view.

"Come on, Harry!" Snape had heard Draco's call although he seemed a bit distant. Curious, he made his way over to the small window that was beside the backdoor in the laundry.

He spotted Harry clutching a large branch and pushing his glasses back onto his face before reaching for another branch. Draco was nowhere in sight but Snape had an idea where he was.

"I'm trying!" Harry called back.

"This is easier with Ripper chasing us" He scowled and Draco just laughed.

"I can see London from here!" He called down and Snape felt an unsettling feeling in his stomach as he wondered just how high the boy was.

Deciding to find out before he fell out, Snape made his way into the yard but was careful not to startle them for Harry's back was turned and his footing appeared to be rather unstable.

"And what exactly is going on here?" He asked, raising his voice mostly so Draco could hear him.

"We're climbing a tree, sir" Draco said.

"I can see that" Snape frowned and Draco bit back another comment.

"Although I do not recall giving you permission to climb so dangerously high, Mr Malfoy" He crossed his arms.

"Potter!" He then barked as the boy almost slipped and he was already more than three feet above Snape. "Get back down, now!"

"Yes, sir" Harry sighed and climbed down while Draco looked away and gazed over at whatever view he was enjoying.

"Ow!" Harry yelped as Snape pinched his ear the moment his feet contacted with solid ground again.

"Do you have any idea how stupid of you it was to climb a tree when you clearly do not have the required skills as Mr Malfoy unfortunatly does?" Snape hissed at him.

"I'm sorry!" Harry said as Draco started hurridly climbing down the tree in alarm to his brother's treatment, although it was mostly out of reflex.

"I won't do it again!" He added worridly as Snape shook his shoulders bit not roughly enough to actually hurt him.

Snape stopped and calmed himself after seeing Harry's reaction and released him.

"I doubt that" He answered the boy's last words but sighed heavily but his breath caught for a moment as Draco was still many feet above the ground and yet he jumped free of the branch and landed on his feet beside Harry. Snape didn't even resist the urge to grab hold of his ear as well.

"Ow!" Draco yelped as Harry winced and bowed his head the best he could.

"I will not tolerate such stupidity nor reckless Gryffindor tendacies, is that understood?" Snape scowled as he had been worried that either of them would fall and break their necks, especially with the high that Draco was climbing to.

"I'm sorry!" Draco said and Harry jumped in as well.

Snape released their ears and stared down at them while crossing his arms again.

"I will, under no circumstances, ever raise my hand or any object to either of you" He said with a firm tone and they looked up at him in suprise and even relief.

"However, shall you pull a reckless stunt like that again and I will have you wishing that I would" He scowled although it wasn't actually true but it had the desired effect.

And with that, Snape sent them inside to work on their summer homework in their room and he retired to the sitting room with a strong coffee.

He hated how easily he worried about them and it hadn't even been a day since they'd arrived. Snape knew that he would have to keep a closer eye on them or else they were going to put him in an even earlier grave.

"Bloody Gryffindors" Snape grunted as he closed his eyes and wondered how he was going to live through the following few weeks.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1922