Apprenticed by JAWorley
Summary: It is extremely unfortunate for Harry Potter that once the bond of an apprentice is made, it cannot be undone… that is until the Master relinquishes control. It is unfortunate for Mr. H. Potter, graduate of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, that a mistake has been made, and he has become apprenticed to Master of Potions, Severus Snape. Response to "Apprentice Mistake Challenge" by ObsidianEmbrace
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Original Character, Other, Ron, Shacklebolt, Tonks
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Apprentice Mistake, Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Challenges: Apprentice Mistake, Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Series: JAWorley's Challenges
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 23875 Read: 81510 Published: 16 Sep 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2010
Foragers by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
A nice long, exciting, 13 page chapter for you. Enjoy!
Sunday could not come soon enough. Jennifer showed up at the front door to the shop, where Harry met her and lead her around the side of the building to the alley, as he had promised Snape he would when he had visitors, and lead her upstairs. She took in the state of his apartment, and asked, "You were in Gryffindor, right?"

He smiled a little sheepishly and said, "Yeah. Colors give it away?"

She smiled warmly back at him. "That, or maybe it's the giant Gryffindor coat of arms painted on the ceiling.

Harry looked up and flushed. He hadn't seen that there, but figured now that it was Ron's addition while Harry went to the bathroom the night before just before his friend had left. "Guess my friend Ron did that last night when I wasn't watching him properly."

"It's a nice touch." There was an awkward moment of silence before Harry asked her to sit down at the square kitchen table with tall chairs, and indicated a stack of Potions books he was willing to lend her.

"Here are mine, and I added the fourth one..." she told him, "I'll need that one back next month. We aren't scheduled to start reading it until then, but in the mean time you can read it."

"I'll start with that one then."

"Sounds good, just so that you know I can't help you with it yet."

"I'll keep it in mind."

They spent the morning going over the basics of each of the text books, both finding it a good review for themselves to lead the other through the material they already knew, and both being excited to be learning new information from the other.

"You'll be a useful study partner when exams come around," she told Harry as he got up and pulled a plate of Molly's leftovers out of the fridge and brought them over to her with an empty plate and two forks.

"Yeah, reckon so. My friend Hermione made us study all the time for exams so I guess I picked up some good habits."

"Where is she now?"

"She got a job in a magical research firm in London... it's run by some ex-ministry member who used to belong to the Department of Mysteries. She's excited about helping to create new magic, but I think she'll be happiest when she can eventually get a job teaching at Hogwarts."

"After seven years there she wants to go back?"

Harry shrugged. "To each his own? Look at us, you want to be an apothecary, a job I think would be dreadful, and I want to be an Auror, which is the job you think is dangerous."

"Honestly, I just don't know how this could happen to us."

"Maybe we're just meant to start a super hero gang of apothecary crime fighters who experiment with magic and teach others how to do it?"

She gave a short laugh accompanied by an incredulous look. "And your friend Ron, where does he fit in?"

"Not sure yet. He says he might try for Auror when I give it a go again. I think he'd be happy in Magical Games and Sports but there aren't any openings right now."

After lunch they studied for a short while longer before Harry asked, "Is there anything practical you can teach me? I can do the reading and exercise on my own, but what about the practice?"

"We've been learning multiplied shield charms. These are useful when you're with at least one other person in a battle situation. Both or multiple parties pour their magical energy into a single shield in order to strengthen it. Then once it has been made stronger, all but one party releases their magic and the one person left maintains the power that has been poured into it."

"Sounds like fun," Harry said, sitting forward eagerly. "Can we try it?"

"We can try, but I'm not very good at it. We've been at it for weeks and I can't seem to get it."

"Go over the details with me and we'll work on it."

For the next two hours Harry and Jennifer struggled with the spell until they finally managed to create a multiplied shield, and finally Harry was able to maintain it by himself when Jennifer released it.

"I'm exhausted," she said, falling back onto the couch when Harry released the shield.

"Yeah, but it was good practice right? We both got it!"

"I can do a two person shield. Wait until you have to learn to conform and twist your magic to match three or four or more people's."

"If I invite Ron over, will you practice it with both of us?"

"Yes, but it will have to be on a Sunday again, because I'm too pooped after eight hours of training any other day."

"Got it. I'll ask him. And after we get it together with the three of us we can get Hermione or Ginny."

"There's a new name. Who is she?"

"Ron's younger sister. This year will be her last year at Hogwarts."

She eyed him curiously for a few minutes and then said, "There was something there between you, wasn't there?"

Harry bit his lip and flushed a little, before he rubbed the back of his neck and said, "We dated my sixth and seventh year."

"And now?"

"I'm not really sure. We are and kind of aren't at the same time. I'm not sure what will happen when she goes back to Hogwarts... she might decide she likes somebody her own age."

"Do you still like her?"

Harry turned red again and nodded.

"Oh, so you more than like her? I bet you love her don't you?"

"Why are you so interested?" he asked, knowing Hermione would kick him in the shins if she were there. Did she like him too?

"Just curiosity was all. I wanted to know more about my study partner who thinks I'm a princess and thinks exhausting shield charms are fun."

"Oh. What about you then?"

"There's a boy in the program that I like a little, but I haven't a clue if he likes me."

"Who is he?"

"Draco Malfoy, I think he was in your year?"

Harry raised his brows a little and by the way he fidgeted Jennifer could tell she'd raised his ire as well.

"I take it you know him?"

"We were kind of on the outs at school. He applied to be an Auror?"

"Got in with high marks from what I hear. He does pretty well on the weekly exams. He's apprenticed to Kingsley Shacklebolt."

"Huh," was all that Harry could manage to muster.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, I guess. I just wish I was there in the auror program. I can't really imagine doing much else except flying maybe on a team."

"Well, maybe someday you'll finish here and get apprenticed to me! I'll be an auror by then."

Harry grinned. "Now that would be something wouldn't it?"

* * *

Potter was in an inexplicably good mood Monday morning, Severus noted as the boy mopped with a bounce in his step, and smiled at each customer, taking extra care to bid them a good day.

"I take it something monumental has changed in your life Potter, or is the apartment just that wonderful?"

"Sir?"

"Your mood leaves nothing to be desired compared to your attitude four weeks ago."

Harry shrugged. "I learned some new spells was all."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I learned a multiplied shield charm and some other stuff."

"And from whom did you learn this?"

Harry bit his lip. He could tell that he had peaked Snape's interest now, and suddenly wondered if he had done something wrong by learning the tricks of another trade.

"Jennifer, that girl that got my apprenticeship... she came over Sunday and we exchanged some books."

"Am I to understand that you loaned her your apprenticeship books, that I gave to you to learn Potter?"

"Well I read two of them sir, and it's only for a short time. We just wanted to look at the others books."

"To what purpose?" Snape asked as he directed Harry to chop up some ingredients on the middle table in the lab.

"So that I can become an Auror." Harry would have thought that was obvious, but apparently not.

"You are studying to become an apothecary."

"Yeah, well right now I am. I mean when I'm done here in four years. This way I'll be ready for the Auror Program too and she'll be ready for the Apothecary apprenticeship."

"And you honestly believe that after four years of training to become an Auror she will settle for Apothecary?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't know. But we're helping each other study both apprenticeships in the mean time. She's tutoring me in what she's learning so she's reviewing in a way, and I'm doing the same for her."

"And what happens when I ask you to brew me a class three burn salve?"

Here Severus was sure he'd caught the boy, because his potions had always turned out abysmal in class, no doubt from lack of studying, but Harry stood up straight and stopped his chopping. "I can do it sir."

"Then do so now. If you fail to produce a viable potion, you will cease and desist in studying Auror books until you can pass your first exam in December. Understood?"

"Yes sir." He said it with such a confidence that for a moment Severus actually believed the boy would brew the potion properly.

"With no instructions Potter. From memory."

"Yes sir."

Three hours later, Harry set the tin of burn salve on the counter next to Severus as a customer left and Severus looked down on it. It was certainly the right color, and they had none in stock, meaning that Harry couldn't have taken some and passed it off as his own.

"Place some on your bare arm Potter."

Harry did so and nothing happened. After a moment Severus used a rag to wipe the salve off. The skin was unblemished. Any mistake in this potion would have actually burned the skin worse.

"This is acceptable. And your study arrangement with your friend will remain so as long as your studies in Potions do not diminish from today's performance."

"Thank you sir," Harry said, grinning because he had done well.

"Speaking of your performance, your assistance is needed tomorrow evening for a difficult task." When Severus saw that he had Harry's full attention, he continued, "Tomorrow night is the second full moon after summer solstice. There is a rare plant that only blooms under these conditions, and must be collected between midnight and three am."

"Where do we go to collect it?"

"There are some mountains north of here that we will apparate to. You are to wear clothing you do not mind getting soiled, as we will be spending most of the night on our hands and knees in the dirt." Snape paused and pulled a card out of his pocket, handing it to Harry. "You are also to familiarize yourself with this plant. The Ignea Horus species is delicate and must be handled with a certain amount of care. The details are on the back of this card, and whilst we are out collecting the plant you are to keep it with you at all times."

Harry scanned the card and found a fair amount of information crammed on the back. The picture on the front displayed a small purple flower with a black stem spotted with gray flecks.

True to his word, Harry found himself on all fours the next night in some distant, dark, lonely mountains, searching for the purple flower. It was chilly out and Harry was glad he'd had the foresight to put on a jacket, even if it was a light one.

"What are the names of these mountains again sir?" Harry asked as he plucked up one of the tiny flowers by the roots and put it in the magical sack slung over his shoulder, made to keep the flowers fresh.

"To wizards they are known as the Frems. They are densely packed with all manner of magical herbs and ingredients."

"These are in the Forbidden Forest too aren't they?" Harry asked as he plucked two more up from behind a large tuft of grass jutting out behind a tree. He sat up and smacked his head on a low hanging limb, and cursed softly, wishing they were allowed to use their wands for light instead of just having moonlight to go off of. Unfortunately they would ruin the plant if any artificial light fell on them.

"And how would you know this?"

"We saw some the night-" Harry paused, very aware that he and Ron weren't supposed to be out in the Forest at all, let alone by themselves at night as students at Hogwarts.

"Yes?"

"Never mind," Harry said, wondering if he could get into any trouble at this point for old school offenses.

"Oh no, do tell Potter. What were you doing in the Forest at night when you were still a student?"

Harry bit his lip once and then said, "The night Ron and I followed a trail of spiders into the Forest to find Aaragog, Hagrid's giant spider."

"You searched out acromantula's?"

"It was in our second year. But Mr. Weasley's Ford Anglia came out of nowhere and saved us."

Severus eyed him from his knees across the clearing, and Harry was sure if there was enough light he would have seen the glare that he felt.

"Wonders never cease," he muttered under his breath. "The boy who lives to put himself in danger is my apprentice."

"Who can brew pretty well," Harry added indignantly.

"Even so. I believe it is a good thing that you did not get placed in the Auror program, for your own safety."

Harry blew some air up at his bangs to get them out of his eyes and was just about to retort when a not so distant howl rent the night. They froze.

"Sir," Harry whispered just loud enough for Severus to hear. "There aren't... werewolves out here are there?" He could see Snape's rigid form, body alert and wand out.

"Yes, but that was no werewolf."

"What then-" Another howl cut him off, and he knew that Snape was right. It sounded almost, human, and it was coming closer.

"Keep your wand out Potter. Do not apparate, no matter what happens, understood?"

"Yes but-" Snape held up a hand to cut him off as he moved next to Harry and crouched down beside him.

"Did you learn about Sirens?" At the confused look on his face he clarified, "Also known as Hags. They are a rogue type of witch. They live in covens and do not recognize the Ministry as in authority over them. They are dangerous, especially to males. If you let them, they will wrap you in their wiles and enslave you."

"What are they doing out here?" Harry said, trying not to let panic and skepticism seep through his voice.

"Probably the same thing we are Potter. Apothecaries, witches, Sirens, wizards... all are amongst the world tonight collecting this specimen. If they find out we have cleared the area of them they will hunt us until we give them up."

"And do we?"

"As a last resort. I would rather not pay a vault full of galleons for them from another forager, but if it is necessary to spare our lives we do what we must."

"He he he." There was a wheezy laugh, quiet and eery across the clearing, much to close for Harry's comfort.

"She doesn't need a wand Potter," he told him in a whisper. "And do NOT apparate. You will end up in a cage somewhere in her coven."

"Yes sir."

"Little wizards, come out come out, I'll use your entrails for stew!" She taunted them, ending in a cackle.

"What now?" Harry's voice was barely more than a quiet breath. Before Snape could answer though, a flash of light blinded them and Snape was yelling, "RUN!"

Harry bolted in one direction, diving out of the way of the curse just in time, and Snape in the other.

"I'll give ye chase then me fickle minded foe!" she shouted in a scratchy voice, flying after Harry. Apparently she didn't need a broom for that either, he thought as he leapt over logs and dodged trees, stumbling a few times and catching himself. He aimed a few curses behind himself, blasting apart a tree, and heard her cackle again, but she still followed.

Panting, Harry wished dearly that he knew where Snape was, because he didn't know if he was dead or captured, and he didn't know how to handle a Siren by himself. It seemed as if he had run forever, and he was hopelessly lost. If he couldn't apparate he didn't know how he was going to find his way back to civilization again. He ran through a small bog, the Hag catching up to him since she could float right over it and any other obstacle, and he gained speed again on the other side, feet squishing in his shoes. Branches whipped past his face and tore at his skin and clothes, and then when he thought he had lost her, he bumped into something hard, heard an "oomf" and fell backwards to the ground. He lit the tip of his wand to find another young man, possibly a few years older than himself, sprawled out on the ground before him.

Wand aimed, Harry eyed him closely, and recognized him as a Ravenclaw a few years ahead of him from Hogwarts.

"Harry Potter?" the boy queried.

"You're not a hag? What are you doing here?"

He shook his head. "Stewart, from Ravenclaw. They're chasing me too. I'm collecting these for my apprenticeship to the apothecary on Diagonalley." He held out a handful of the purple flowers, which wilted immediately in the wand light.

They heard a cackle then on both sides of the small clearing they sat in and a voice said gently, "Two young men to entrails feast, come to me my loves, not a master can save you now, no you'll not fly like doves."

"Cast a shield," Harry whispered, "and don't let it down."

Stewart did as he was told, a blue shield materializing around them, big enough for them to stand up in, and then Harry poured his own energy into the shield, doing as much of the work as he could to modulate his magic to match Stewarts since the other apprentice probably didn't know how to.

"What is this?" he asked. "Multiplied shield. Stronger than one wizard's magic alone. Hold steady and I'll pour my magic into it."

Suddenly a flash of red light came straight at them, revealing the location of one Hag, ugly, with scraggly gray hair and a pitted face. The curse fizzled out on the shield and she screeched. Two more blasts came then, one from both sides, and both fizzled, to more sounds of discontent.

"I'm going to let my magic off now," Harry said, "so I can fight back. If you continue to hold the shield it will remain strong."

"Yeah," Stewart said. "Go ahead."

Harry let his wand down and the shield held up to multiple more blasts. It seemed that more Sirens were joining the party now.

There was silence for a few moments, aside from the hags conversing in low tones through the trees, until Stewart said, "Harry?"

"Yeah?" Harry looked over to see Stewart pointing up to the tree canopy, where hundreds of stick figures tied with twine hung from branches, some of them painted red. He tried not to think about them being painted with blood.

"Listen," Harry said suddenly, staring Stewart straight in the eyes. "Don't listen to them, no matter what. We can't apparate either."

"Why?"

"We'll end up enslaved or something like that. They can trick you if you listen to them... if my master is ok he'll help us. We just have to wait. We can send a message somehow if need be."

"Who's you're master?"

"Severus Snape."

"You got Snape? Wow."

"Yeah," Harry said, feeling like rolling his eyes because Stewart seemed a little impressed. "Is your master here?"

"No. He sent me out alone. I gathered these last year and nothing happened."

"Who would have thought it could be exciting," Harry said.

"I did encounter a dragon once, in a cave looking for yalsmouth's fungus."

"What did you do?"

"Ran like hell, what the bloody hell did ye think I did?"

Harry laughed a little then as a beautiful woman, perhaps the most beautiful woman he had ever seen appeared out of the darkness, bathed in a warm light. Silky blond hair fell down her shoulders and back, and the light allowed them to see through a thin silky blue gown that trailed along the moss and dirt.

"Don't listen," Harry said. "Close your eyes, don't listen."

Stewart did as he was told and Harry tried to concentrate on Stewart's face, knowing he couldn't close his eyes in case Stewart caved.

"Are you all right?" the woman asked in a heart melting voice. "Are you hurt? I could take you back to my father's house and he can heal you."

"No thanks," Harry said firmly, eyes on Stewart's face and nowhere else.

"Are you sure? The Sirens are gone. We have food and water, and medical supplies at the house. You can send an owl to whoever is looking for you."

"A cage more like," Harry said, biting his lip hard to keep himself in the here and now. He had the strange urge to get up and follow her to a warm house bathed in light where there was chocolate cake and a warm bed waiting.

"Harry?" Stewart was licking his lips now, and Harry moved a hand to cover his eyes in case he was tempted to open them.

"It's a trick, don't listen. She's an ugly beast who will turn you into a slave. Are you listening Hag?" Harry asked suddenly to the woman. "Leave us be! You'll never take us! I know your powers are diminished in the light, and we'll walk out of here at daybreak!" He had remembered this small bit of information during his run. Binns had told the class of a wizard who had escaped capture by hiding in a tall tree until morning, and then running for his life, never to wander into the woods again.

She screeched suddenly, and Harry covered his ears and clenched his eyes shut trying to drown out the awful noise. One look at Stewart told him to cover the other man's ears however since he was still trying to hold up the shield, and it was starting to falter. It seemed as if the scream lasted forever, and Harry was sure his ears would never be the same again, but then it was over, and when Stewart inhaled a deep breath, Harry knew his ears would be fine.

"Wretched little whelp! A formal education won't save you! It's two day's walk back to Blackpool and you can't apparate in the daytime either so long as our omens hang from the trees! We'll get you one way or the other!"

Harry laughed then. "ACCIO HARRY'S BROOM!" he shouted, pointing his wand out into the dark woods. He knew his Firebolt was fast and hoped it would come to him, even though he was so far away. If they could fly out, all would be well.

She screeched again, this time followed by at least a dozen others, and it was all Harry could do to cover Stewart's ears and not pass out from the head splitting agony that overtook him.

The End.
End Notes:
Eek! I finished the story tonight! Just two more chapters to add and it will be done! I'm so happy! Please comment! And here you thought there would be no excitement in Harry's life. :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1938