Apprenticed by JAWorley
Summary: It is extremely unfortunate for Harry Potter that once the bond of an apprentice is made, it cannot be undone… that is until the Master relinquishes control. It is unfortunate for Mr. H. Potter, graduate of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, that a mistake has been made, and he has become apprenticed to Master of Potions, Severus Snape. Response to "Apprentice Mistake Challenge" by ObsidianEmbrace
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Original Character, Other, Ron, Shacklebolt, Tonks
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Apprentice Mistake, Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Challenges: Apprentice Mistake, Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Series: JAWorley's Challenges
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 23875 Read: 81510 Published: 16 Sep 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2010
Facade by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Last chapter! Sorry, but it's a short one!
"Well?" Snape raised a brow when Harry walked in empty handed without the supplies he'd been sent for, and instead his face was a mess from the fire.

"Nope," Harry said, running a hand through his hair, obviously stressed, but there was something else in his expression too.

"Nope what Mr. Potter?"

"Didn't get the ingredients. Got engaged though!" He grinned for a moment and then rubbed soot out of one of his eyes.

"At what cost? Did you burn the alley down?"

"Almost. Someone took Ginny hostage in the Apothecary. I tricked him and stunned him... he sent flames off with his wand and they hit the ceiling. Then Aurors burst in, read me the riot act and I left with Ginny. God," Harry said suddenly. "The Weasley's are going to kill me now... she's not even graduated yet!" He hadn't thought about that.

Snape crossed his arms. "Is she pregnant Potter?"

Harry snorted. "No. Like she'd let me get-" he paused and then after turning red briefly, said, "she's smarter than that you know. We both are. We just, want to be married after she's done with school. But that doesn't mean Mrs. Weasley will let me anywhere near her until she's finished."

"You are probably correct in that assertion. However, that will not be possible."

"What won't be?" Harry frowned.

"You will be at Hogwarts with me for the year."

"But what about the shop? I thought I was to tend it while you were away? Have I done that badly?"

"You have done better than expected." Harry turned around to find Kingsley behind him, arms crossed, sans Draco Malfoy.

"Sir?" Somehow he had come in the door unnoticed... or perhaps he had been cloaked and listening all the time?

"Potter, I'm pleased to inform you that you have been excepted into the Auror apprenticeship program. And congratulations on the engagement." Kingsley smiled, and Harry wondered with a look of shock on his face if this was the same man who had just yelled at him an hour before.

"I don't understand."

Kingsley raised his eyes to Snape, and then said, "When applicant's apply, they are put through a series of tests, to see if they really are fit for the position, mentally, physically, and emotionally. We knew your magical prowess was up to par after the defeat of Voldemort, and that you were physically fit, but your state of mind and maturity still needed to be determined. This test is different for each applicant of course, and for you it included placing you in an undesirable situation with a person you were well known to not get along with. You adapted incredibly fast however, changed your attitude, and showed that you would be able to work with somebody you previously despised. This was important considering that Mr. Malfoy is in the program, as well as the fact that you may frequently encounter other Ministry employees that you don't like. Your maturity level was shown to us when you persevered through a difficult situation, and decided that you would train yourself in every way possible, preparing yourself for your eventual acceptance into the program."

"But the tingling... the mistake. I'm apprenticed to Master Snape," he rambled, confused that his life was suddenly upside down again.

"You were placed under temporary apprenticeship to Severus. Auror apprenticeships change twice before you're done with the program. This way you get to train under multiple Aurors. You will continue to be apprenticed to him for the next year while on assignment. Only this time, you'll be trained as a spy in a way that most other Jr. Aurors will not get the chance to have."

"What assignment will I be on at Hogwarts?"

Here Snape stepped around the counter and said, "After your defeat of Voldemort last year, we received word that there was... another dark wizard trying to come to power, this one a student, much as Voldemort himself was when he first vied for power."

"Do you know what house?"

"We do not, although we are fairly certain it is not Gryffindor or Slytherin, although we are not 100% positive."

"We know the student is male and is in seventh year. You will be posing as Professor Snape's apothecary apprentice, much as you have been. You will help him grade papers, teach classes, and tutor students. This will give you the opportunity to get close to suspects, and relay information back to us via Professor Snape."

"I don't believe this," Harry said. "This morning you were ready to tear my head off, and ten seconds ago I became a Jr. Auror."

"Believe it Mr. Potter. Bring this new... dark lord, to justice, and you will move up as a secondary auror with your peers Mrs. Diggle and Mr. Malfoy."

"Were they in on this?"

"No. Mr. Malfoy is being informed now that you are being inducted as an auror, and is probably throwing a fit as we speak. Mrs. Diggle really did get handed the wrong apprenticeship slip. If she wishes, she can drop out of the program at the end of next year when her apprenticeship to me is up. We were surprised to find that the two of you had made a study pact and that you had taken on extra duties not needed for an apothecary. When Severus informed us of your exercise routine, we knew you were getting close to meeting our standards."

Harry blew a breath up at his hair. "But you knew the whole time sir?" he asked him.

"Not exactly," Severus said. "I was displeased to be tricked, much as you were. The morning that you returned from the Sirens however, Kingsley informed me of the deception and as a member of the Order I agreed to train you as a spy to root out the menace at Hogwarts."

Harry grinned. "I must be dreaming. Am I allowed to tell anybody?"

"The Weasley's and Ms. Granger only, seeing as how they are also members of the Order."

Harry nodded. When Kingsley had left, and Harry had plopped down on the couch in the back, Snape sitting next to him as they had done a few weeks before, Harry grinned, and asked slyly, "Er, I don't suppose you'd let Ron move into the apartment upstairs with me?"

"You will be at Hogwarts."

"Not all the time. I'm still your apprentice aren't I? We could train him in the last few weeks just to run the shop... not to make potions or anything," Harry added quickly. "Then he'd have a job and a place to live. You know how it can be... doesn't want to live at home with Mrs. Weasley by himself while everyone else is away."

Severus sighed and crossed his arms, "The things I do for you Potter."

"Is that a yes?" He waited with baited breath as Snape looked poisonous, as if he were making a big mistake.

"He will be here at five am and stay until seven pm every day until we leave for Hogwarts. If I am to train a new apprentice he will agree to ALL of my terms."

"Yes sir," Harry grinned. "I'll tell him right away."

The End.
End Notes:
THE END

That’s right, you heard me. The END. No more. Finito. Bet this last bit took you by surprise. Did you ever think Harry was really in testing to be an auror? Nope, lol. And yes, I’ll tell you this: Ron takes the job (because Snape will be at Hogwarts), and tends shop happily for the next year until Snape returns. Harry roots out the bad guy at school, and when Ginny graduates, they get married, and Harry does get apprenticed to Tonks. And Draco continues to throw a fit all through training. And Jennifer? She stays in the program until she finishes it and becomes a good Auror.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! I liked adding the twist at the end, and it was planned from the start. While I’d really like to write a sequel to this, I don’t think I will. I’ve got other stories to finish. Check out some of my other works if you haven’t already, and as always, I love to hear reviews! Thanks to everyone who leaves me a note!

Ok, so just because I took so long to finish this story, I’ll recap for you all, our story had: Angry Snape, angry Harry, de-aged cute Harry, understanding Snape, two women in Harry’s life, Blair witch creepy hags, snotty Malfoy, determined Harry, angry aurors, a hostage situation, a twist of events, auror Harry, engaged Harry, and last but not least, the most shocking of all, Ron with a job. I did not originally envision this story having such a variety in it, but it turned out thus. Hope you enjoyed it.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1938