Apprenticed by JAWorley
Summary: It is extremely unfortunate for Harry Potter that once the bond of an apprentice is made, it cannot be undone… that is until the Master relinquishes control. It is unfortunate for Mr. H. Potter, graduate of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, that a mistake has been made, and he has become apprenticed to Master of Potions, Severus Snape. Response to "Apprentice Mistake Challenge" by ObsidianEmbrace
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Original Character, Other, Ron, Shacklebolt, Tonks
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Apprentice Mistake, Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Challenges: Apprentice Mistake, Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Series: JAWorley's Challenges
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 23875 Read: 81510 Published: 16 Sep 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2010
Story Notes:
Response to "Apprentice Mistake Challenge" by ObsidianEmbrace

1. A Mistake by JAWorley

2. Dirty Work by JAWorley

3. The Unseen by JAWorley

4. Shopkeeper by JAWorley

5. The Princess by JAWorley

6. Foragers by JAWorley

7. Loss of Controll by JAWorley

8. Facade by JAWorley

A Mistake by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Note: This story is also posted under my same username at HPFF and has pictures.

Harry waited anxiously in the squeaky chair in the waiting room of the Ministry Apprenticeship office. He nervously fidgeted, wondering what auror he would be apprenticed to. He desperately wanted to be in the apprenticeship of Tonks… they had always gotten along well enough anyhow, but thought that Kingsley wouldn’t be half bad either. He’d put the forms in three days after he’d graduated, knowing that Tonks was in the market for a new apprentice. Surely since he’d been called in after only a week, he would be placed with her.

He wasn’t sure just what kind of magical bond it was that would be placed on him and Tonks… or his other Auror Master, but Hermione had told him that the bond between Apprentice and Master was unbreakable, and could only be given up by the Master. This was to ensure that only when the Master was satisfied with the Apprentice’s work that he or she would be released into the working world, fully capable and trained.

“What are you in for?”

Harry turned to the girl next to him. “Excuse me?”

“What apprenticeship are you going for?”

“Oh,” Harry said, wiping his sweaty hands on his best black slacks. “Auror.”

“Wow,” she said. “That sounds like such a scary job! I couldn’t imagine.”

Harry took her in, noticing that she wasn’t from his year in school. “What are you going for then? When did you graduate Hogwarts?”

“Oh, I want to be an apothecary. I always liked brewing potions. I was three years ahead of you in Hufflepuff. I had to wait to pass some more NEWTS in order to meet the Apothecary requirements.”

“Which ones were required for that apprenticeship?” Suddenly Harry was glad for the conversation to get his mind off of waiting. He didn’t like being anxious. He hadn’t been this anxious since he’d been sitting around in his dormitory waiting for the attack on the castle to begin in his sixth year.

“Well, Potions of course, and then Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense and Arithmancy.”

“Mine too… those are the same for the Auror’s Program. My friend made me sign up for Arithmancy my fifth year… I was behind so she spent ages tutoring me.”

“Bet you’re glad though, because now you got accepted into your program.”

“Yeah,” Harry admitted, suddenly very thankful that Hermione had stayed up all night with him three days a week for two years catching him up. “I sure lost a lot of sleep over it though,” he added thoughtfully.

“Jennifer Diggle!” The receptionist was calling and the girl Harry was talking to rose from her seat.

“Wish me luck!” Harry smiled and nodded.

“Good luck. See you around.”

She smiled and moved off to accept the parchment the receptionist was trying to give her. Jennifer took it, gave a slightly confused look, but then was back to smiling as she moved off and out to the rest of the Ministry.

“Harry Potter!” The receptionist wasted no time in calling Harry’s name.

“Here you are Mr. Potter,” she told him as he stood and went to her. “Now before you take this parchment, you understand that once you are apprenticed you are under the full authority of your Master?” Harry nodded, realizing that she had said ‘he’ meaning he had definitely not been placed with Tonks. “Only he can release you from your duties. A magical bond will be formed between the two of you upon your acceptance of this parchment.” She held it just out of his reach until he nodded and said that he understood and would accept the responsibility.

“Very good then Mr. Potter. Here is the location of where you are to meet your Master.” She handed him the parchment and Harry felt his hands tingle as soon as he touched it. No wonder the girl had looked confused for a moment.

Harry looked down at the parchment as the receptionist went back to her desk. The address was 42 St. Bedes Ave, Blackpool.

“Wait,” he said to stop her. “Who am I with?”

“I’m sorry Mr. Potter, but I’m not privy to that knowledge. All they give me is your name and an address. You’ll meet your master there and go on assignment.”

Harry nodded. That made sense. They wanted to get him out on assignment with the aurors right away. There had probably been some magical crime there in Blackpool and they wanted him there to help. “Thanks,” he said, and strode out.

Once he was up on the street level he focused his attention to apparating himself to Blackpool. He’d never apparated that far before. To be exact he hadn’t apparated much at all until a few weeks ago when he passed his Apparation test and got his license.

Concentrating hard he imagined scrunching himself up into a ball and appearing in an alley in Blackpool. He felt his entire body squeeze uncomfortably and when he opened his eyes again he was in a dark, quiet alley behind some kind of Muggle shopping center.

He looked down at the parchment clutched in his hand again. He’d never been to Blackpool before and had no idea where St. Bedes Ave was.

Harry made his way to the main street and asked a man carrying a bag of groceries, “Sorry, but do you know where St. Bedes Ave is?”

He shook his head as he walked by. “Sorry, no.”

Harry approached a woman with a screaming child next. “Do you know where St. Bedes Ave is?”

She thought as she held the small child tightly so that he wouldn’t fall from her arms as he squirmed. “Hm,” she said. “We’re on Lytham… follow this North ‘til you hit Waterloo and take a left. Bedes is on the right.”

“Thanks,” he said gratefully, and moved off. It didn’t seem like a bad place, and if it had been closer to the Ministry Harry might have gotten a flat in Blackpool.

Harry found his way to Waterloo Road and then found St. Bedes Ave not far down it on the right. He pulled out his parchment again and started looking for number 42. This street was not nearly as busy as the one he had just left. There were a few shops but they looked older. Harry came to the next cross street without finding the address he was looking for. Confused, he found himself at the corner of St. Bedes and St. Bedes… thinking he may have the wrong street he turned right and continued on his search. Now there were large brick buildings on one side of the street and a few more small shops on the others. Harry watched the numbers as he went past. 34, 36, 38, 40, 44… wait, where was 42? Harry squinted around him and after a moment saw the shop squeezed in between 46 and 48… it was definitely magical. It had a small window in the front and read “Apothecary.”

“Hm…” maybe there had been a magical accident or something and the aurors needed his help fixing it? No, but that was for the magical reversal squad to do. Harry pushed the shop door open and found a single dusty counter in the front. There were a few shelves lined with dusty bottles of tonic and other things behind it. It looked as if the shop had not been up kept in a very long time.

“Hello?” Harry wondered where his Master was or if perhaps he had shown up early.

“Come into the back,” came a muffled voice from a door that Harry had not yet noticed behind the counter.

Wary of if perhaps this was a test to see how prepared he was, Harry pulled out his wand and cautiously made his way to the back room.

A man with black billowing robes had his head in a cabinet and seemed to be organizing things. “Are you my apprentice?” Hearing the voice better, Harry didn’t like what he heard. It sounded a little too familiar.

“Professor?”

Suddenly Severus Snape’s head popped out of the cabinet and he stood straight, his lip curling at the sight of Harry. “What are you doing here Potter?” He sounded annoyed, as usual.

Harry held up his parchment with the address to show the Potion’s Master. “The Apprenticeship office gave me this… they said I was supposed to meet an auror here for my training…” Even as Harry said this his stomach felt queasy.

“No aurors here Potter. Now get out.”

Harry didn’t move and Snape sneered at him. “Don’t just stand there Potter. Move!” He pushed his way past Harry and Harry finally moved so that he could get through. There wasn’t much room in the back room because it was filled with boxes and other things scattered about.

“I think there’s been a mistake,” Harry said, feeling lightheaded.

“Obviously Potter,” Snape spat. “But that’s not my problem now is it?”

Snape looked up at Harry again and put his hands on his hips. He held out his hand for the parchment, thinking that if he acted like he cared Potter might actually get out of his shop. As soon as he took the parchment however his hands tingled and he froze in place.

“This is where they told me to come sir,” Harry said quietly. “I was supposed to be with an auror… there was this girl next to me… she said she was going to be an apothecary… they called her up before me. I think there’s been a terrible mix-up.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “What have you done Potter?” Though his voice was low Harry could feel the anger radiating from the man. “You have gone and apprenticed yourself to me!?” He threw the paper down.

“But you can just release me from the apprenticeship and I can go back and try again!” Harry thought quickly out loud, hopeful that this was indeed the case.

“Think again Potter. By magical contract and law I can only do so after you have met my standards for the job of apothecary!” He spat this out at him in a fury.

“What about the Accidental Magical Reversal Squad?” Harry asked frantically. “This was all a mistake… I didn’t mean to be your apprentice! Can’t they undo the magic?”

Snape shook his head. “This is old magic Potter and in order for you to get the paper you had to agree to the binding magic, which means the Accidental Magical Reversal Squad cannot help.”

Harry groaned. “Well, all right then. How long does this sort of apprenticeship usually take?” Harry thought that he could handle a few weeks of this if it meant he could go back and get an auror apprentiship eventually.

“Generally between two and four years Potter.” Harry groaned again. He had just finished four years of Potions with the poisonous man… he didn’t think he could handle even another two.

“And what if I quit and break the bond?”

Snape eyed him wearily, thinking that it would be a better alternative to spending any amount of time with Harry Potter. “Death,” he said simply.

Harry’s breath caught in his chest. Somebody else was off doing his apprenticeship and he was stuck there with Severus Snape, Dungeon bat.

“You can’t even run an apothecary,” Harry said. “You work at Hogwarts!”

“Correction Potter, I own this apothecary and run it during the summer months. While I am away at Hogwarts my apprentice runs it. My old apprentice has just finished her apprenticeship which is why you are here.”

Harry shook his head angrily and stormed out of the room. He was almost to the door to the front when Snape called after him, “You are under bondage to me now and must do as I say or else you will die!”

Despite the warning Harry exited out onto the street, muttering under his breath, “We’ll see about that.”

The End.
End Notes:
A/N: This is in response to the "Apprentice Mistake Challenge" by Obsidian Embrace. I saw the challenge and I thought I'd have fun with it. Leave a review below and let me know what you think! What will happen to Harry and Severus? What will they do and how will they cope? Let me know. I always love to hear from readers. (Also note this will be a shorter story... so maybe 10 chapters total, but the following chapters are promised to be longer than this first one).
Dirty Work by JAWorley
Harry kicked the trash can in the alleyway hard. Damn them. Couldn’t the Ministry do anything right? Of course they could, he reasoned, just not when it involved him.

The receptionist apologized profusely as Harry explained the mistake to her and asked if anything could be done, but as Snape had said, the only thing to do was continue on with the apprenticeship or die. Harry didn’t even look at Jennifer as he walked out… she of course had been on her way in to try and rectify the mistake as well. Now Harry stood in a dark alley in Diagon Alley, disgusted with himself and the world. He should have just taken Fred and George up on their offer to work in their shop… anything would be better than an Apprenticeship with Severus friggen Snape.

It was getting dark and Harry felt his insides squirm. What would happen if he didn’t return to the shop in Blackpool? He wanted desperately to run away and forget any of this had happened at all. Why did things like this always happen to him?

Harry leaned heavily a crumbling white stone wall and tried to think this out. Snape hadn’t given him any instructions yet… so what if Snape just… didn’t? Could a person be apprenticed to two masters at the same time? If Snape just didn’t give Harry anything to do at all then maybe Harry could go and get apprenticed to an auror, and then he could continue on with life as planned. Then he wouldn’t really be breaking any rules since Snape wouldn’t set any… damn but this was hard. Harry doubted very much that would work, and knew the only way to ask was to return to Blackpool.

By the time Harry was done trying to reason with himself and had returned to St. Bedes Lane, it had grown completely dark. He tried the door to the apothecary, but it was locked tight. He desperately wanted to have done with this all so he could return to the Burrow and get some sleep, but until then he didn’t want to tell everybody just to whom he had been apprenticed to. He could hardly handle the nagging thoughts in his own mind of how much the whole situation sucked, and didn’t think he could handle the Weasley’s saying the same thing over and over to him. Deciding to go back and get a room in the Leaky Cauldron for the night, Harry apparated back to Diagonalley yet again. Once he had his room, he borrowed an owl from Tom the innkeeper and sent a note to Ron telling him that he wouldn’t be home for the night, and possibly not for the next few nights. Harry knew there would be questions, but he was so emotionally taxed at the moment he couldn’t bear to put any more details in the letter before he sent it off.

It wasn’t long before exhaustion kicked in from the many long distance apparations he had done that day along with the gravity of his situation weighing down on him. Harry fell asleep on top of the covers in his room, not even bothering to remove his shoes or glasses.

In the morning Harry lay on his bed, dazed and confused, wondering if the events that had transpired the day before were truth or dream. If they were a dream, he decided, then he would have woken up to the violently orange walls of Ron’s attic bedroom instead of a plain room in the Leaky Cauldron.

It took quite a while before Harry convinced his limbs to move and his body to pull himself out of bed. This was going to be a long day. Not feeling hungry Harry skipped breakfast, checked out of his room, and apparated back to Blackpool into an alley that lead to St. Bedes Ln. Steeling his nerves, Harry marched determinedly to the apothecary and found the door unlocked.

Dust once again assaulted Harry’s senses as it had done the day before, and he stifled the urge to cough. The little bell above the door announced his presence and Snape stuck his head out from the back room.

Harry waited as the man narrowed his eyes at him, as if trying to decide something, and then disappeared into the back once more. Unsure of what to do, Harry walked into the back room and waited numbly for his instructions.

“What do you want Potter?” Snape was digging through another box. Harry noticed that many of the shelves that lined the room were now full of colorful potions jars and ingredients, and the floor was littered with empty boxes.

“To get this over with,” Harry said through gritted teeth. Yes, this was going to be a very, very long day.

Severus stood straight and said, “You are under my authority. You will do as I say or else you will not meet my standards and be released from the apprenticeship.”

“Fine.”

“Fine sir, Potter,” Snape corrected him with a sneer. This shop opens at seven am and closes at five pm Monday through Friday. You are to be here during store hours. You will also be here at six am Saturday and stay until 11am. You are not to touch any potions or ingredients without my express permission. You will not serve customers without my permission. You will not leave this shop without my permission. Am I understood?”

Harry crossed his arms. “Yes, sir,” he said, already feeling renewed loathing and hatred for his former Potion’s Professor.

“Good.” Snape gave a little smile that told Harry he was in some kind of trouble if the man was happy.

Harry frowned. “What do you want me to do then?”

“Clean. Do not us any cleaning spells in the shop, store room, or lab. They will react badly with any spilled potions or ingredients. Other magic is fine, but not cleaning spells. Everything you need is in the closet.” He motioned to one of the two doors off of the store room. Harry went to it and opened it to find a number of Muggle cleaning supplies, a sink, a mop and bucket, rags, and a broom. “Every inch will be spotless, understood?”

Harry gritted his teeth, taking offense at once again being treated like a house elf, but nodded anyway.

“I can’t hear your head Potter. Answer me when I talk to you so that I know you understood.”

“Yes sir.” Harry said it quietly, but it seemed good enough for Snape.

“Go.”

Harry took the mop and filled the bucket with water and disappeared into the store front, thinking that he wanted to be as far away as possible from Snape at all times. He might kill himself before Snape got around to it before he was finished with this damned apprenticeship.

Trying to keep his mind off of things, and failing miserably, Harry scrubbed the floors, walls, windows, and counters, and was just moving on to the shelves behind the counter when Severus appeared to check on his progress. Harry was so engrossed in his own thoughts about different ways he might die making potions and end his suffering, that he didn’t notice him come in.

Severus surveyed the room, surprised at the boy’s progress. He seemed an exceptionally hard worker, and it had only taken him an hour to clean the storefront from top to bottom. He had even cleaned the shelves under the counter and cleared out the cobwebs in all the drawers.

“I am done in the store room. You may clean in there when you are done here. Be careful not to knock things off the shelves.”

“Yes sir.” It was another quiet answer, but Severus could hear the strain and anger in Harry’s voice as he forced it out. His anger aggravated Severus… where did the brat get off acting so ungrateful for the chance to be his apprentice? He would have it easy here compared to the auror apprentiship program where they would be exercising hard every day and where he would be putting himself at risk on every assignment he went on.

Harry tried to ignore his Master as he sneered and left the room. “Sodding prat,” Harry said under his breath, thinking that it might make him feel better to say it, but finding that it didn’t.

Soon he was on to cleaning the store room, which took considerably longer since he had to move hundreds of bottles and ingredients to clean the shelves underneath. Twice a potion almost slipped from his hand, and once it did, and he only just barely caught it thanks to his Seeker reflexes. Thinking about being a Seeker sent Harry into a daze… he had been offered a spot on the Irish international team… but no, he had to go into the Ministry Apprentiship Office instead to be an auror… to be an apothecary. There was no fun in being a potion maker.

It was noon when Harry finished, and his throat was dry and sore from lack of water while he worked. His stomach also grumbled loudly and he thought of heading out for a bite to eat. Snape’s words about not leaving without permission came to mind and he discarded the thought, knowing that he would probably not be allowed a lunch break. Harry was sure that if he had been somebody else he would not be made to clean the shop, and instead would be learning to brew potions and would be treated civil, but the fact was that he was Harry Potter the boy who Snape hated above all others.

For the first time Harry peeked his head in the room beyond the store room. This appeared to be a laboratory where the Potions were brewed and ingredients prepared to be sold. Snape had three cauldrons simmering at once.

“Do you want this room cleaned too?” Harry asked, leaning on the mop handle.

Snape nodded. “Yes. Do not clean the table tops. I have ingredients that cannot be disturbed before they enter the cauldron.

“Yes sir.” Quiet and forced… Harry thought that would be his life from now on… quite submission that he had to force upon himself with every fiber of his being. He set to work again, moving around the four square work tables in the center of the room and the three work benches that lined the walls. There were two doors on the far wall of this room, and Harry wondered that the shop was so big, and where these other two doors lead to. Surely one was a bathroom?

After half an hour he had finished cleaning the lab floors and walls, since he had been told not to touch the tables.

“Done sir,” he said, leaning on his mop handle again.

“Good, clean some more.”

Harry frowned yet again. “Sir? It’s all clean.”

“I heard you Potter. Clean it again.”

“All of it?”

“Every room.”

Fighting off the urge to growl, Harry said, “I haven’t had lunch or any breaks yet.”

“Not my problem Potter. Clean. Now.”

Determined not to whine and give the man the satisfaction of knowing he had beaten him, Harry took his cleaning supplies and went back to the store front to do it all over again. He went slower this time, knowing he would probably be told to start again if he finished again, and wasn’t done until nearly five. He kept his mind occupied thinking about the kind of flat he wanted to rent, and thinking about exploring Black Pool some after he was finished here for the day. He still didn’t want to go back to Ron’s house just yet.

Five o’clock came and went and Harry had started cleaning a third time, now thoroughly frustrated knowing that everything was clean, but he was doing it yet again. Finally at five thirty when Harry’s stomach was giving another loud protest, Snape appeared from the back and examined Harry’s work.

“Go home Potter,” he told him. “Be back at 6:30 am.”

“Yes sir,” it came out as barely a whisper because Harry’s throat was so dry. Quietly he thought that he’d have to look up some kind of spell for keeping food cold so that he could bring some lunch and possibly dinner with him the next day.

A pocketful of Muggle money in his pocket, Harry exited back onto the street. The sun was still high enough that it made Harry feel like he had part of the day left. He walked back to the main road and kept walking until he came to a little deli. He bought a sandwich and a bottle of water and felt like he inhaled it because he had eaten it all so fast. Stomach happy, he went on with his exploration of the city.

Harry picked up a Muggle paper at the grocery store further down the road and sat on a bus stop bench looking through the renters section. He didn’t want to spend too much a month on an apartment… he had plenty of money in his vault but he also entertained ideas of having money for a house later on. Deciding on 350-400 pounds a month, Harry conjured a pen and began circling likely prospects. It didn’t look like he’d find anything beach front for that cheap, so he scratched that idea altogether. He found a one bedroom for 425 a month, and a two bedroom for 600 a month, but nothing under that. He was fine with a one bedroom, but he decided to stick to his budget and not go over.

As the sun began to set Harry decided that if he couldn’t find anything there in town after a week that fit his budget he’d start to expand his search to neighboring cities since he now had the ability to apparated. Harry had also spotted a large fireplace in Snape’s lab and fancied getting himself a place with a fireplace large enough to add to the floo network so he could floo in every morning.

Harry continued his exploration of the city on foot until it had been dark for about an hour, and then apparated back to the Leaky Cauldron. He wondered how many witches and wizards lived in Black Pool as he drifted off to sleep, dreaming about a joining a city Quidditch team that was the best in the world because he was their Seeker.


* * *

It was 6:30 exactly when Harry arrived at the front door of the Apothecary. He had asked Tom to pack him a lunch and two bottles of water, and was thankful that Tom had also shown him a combination shrinking cooling spell for his food so that it fit neatly in his front pocket.

Harry found Snape in the lab starting a fifth cauldron.

“What do you want me to do sir?” Harry asked, feeling in a better mood for some reason, probably at the prospect of actually getting lunch in a few hours.

“Clean.”

Harry felt his good mood evaporating, but didn’t say anything except, “Yes sir,” before he went and found the cleaning supplies in the closet. He did much as he had done the day before, cleaning the entire shop, and even the bathroom today, which he had found behind one of the doors in the lab. The only difference today was that he scarffed down his lunch at noon and had plenty of water to keep his throat from going dry. At five, Snape told Harry to go home.

The sun shone warmly down on Harry as he picked up another Muggle paper and looked through the renters section as he ate his lunch. Many of the same flats were advertised, and Harry didn’t find anything he wanted to look at from the days new entries.

Suddenly craving ice cream, Harry threw the Muggle paper in a waste bin and apparated to Diagonalley. As he ate an ice cream cone at Fortescue’s, he thought it might be worth looking into a flat in Diagonalley. He knew some of the shops had apartments above them.

“Excuse me,” he asked Fortescue as he came out to serve a woman and her two anxious little girls. “Do you know of any flats for rent here on Diagonalley?”

Fortescue thought about it and said, “I’ve got one above my shop for 850 a month and there’s one above the Owlery for 200 a month… don’t think I’d fancy living there though for the racket and smell of the owls.”

Harry nodded. “Thanks anyway.”

“Plenty to look at out in Muggle London though, I’d check there. Get a job at the Ministry after graduation did yeh?”

“Something like that,” Harry shrugged, feeling ashamed even to tell the ice cream seller that he had mistakenly been apprenticed to Snape.

Harry arrived at 6:30 again the next morning and didn’t wait to be told to clean. When Snape came out into the shop front at 7 to see why Harry hadn’t shown up, he was surprised to find him scrubbing the floor on his hands and knees.

“I know sir,” Harry said when Snape just stood there looking down at him. “Clean Potter, clean.”
The End.
End Notes:
What do you think? Let me know!
The Unseen by JAWorley
Harry cleaned for five days, and finally it was the weekend. He had barely said more than “Yes sir,” to Snape, having asked very few questions including where the bathroom was. Snape seemed perfectly willing to use Harry as a janitor for the next four years… Harry entertained the thought that perhaps they could work the apprenticeship out so that Snape only used him as an Apprentice Janitor, and maybe then he would release him after a few weeks, being satisfied that Harry could clean up to his standards. Of course this would require Harry talking to Snape, and he didn’t feel up to it just at the moment.

As Harry cleaned out the toilet bowl Saturday morning, he thought on his situation regarding getting a flat. He still hadn’t seen anything that interested him in his price range. He had looked at several in London that were cheap enough, but they were dirty and in bad neighborhoods… not that he thought he couldn’t defend himself if he needed to. Ron had been owling him too, asking why he hadn’t come back and how the ‘auror’ apprenticeship had been going. Harry had ignored the three letters he had been sent, two by Ron and one by Hermione, but the thought of replying to the notes nagged at him throughout the day. He hated keeping his friends in the dark, just as he hated being kept in the dark about things.

Harry finished with the bathroom and moved out into the lab. Snape was out of the shop for an hour gathering ingredients from elsewhere, and Harry had no need to get instructions, already knowing what his new sole purpose in life was.

Knowing the lab was already clean, but not wanting to sit around and do nothing, he hurriedly mopped around the work benches and scrubbed between the stone tiles. Only a few more hours until noon and then he would have the whole rest of the day to do as he pleased, including looking for a flat.

On his hands and knees Harry began to clean under the work benches, trying to drag the dead spiders and cobwebs that he had apparently missed before out from underneath them. To himself he mused what the expression on Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon’s face might be if he returned to Privet Drive and asked for his room back, even though he never had any intention of returning to the foul place again. Little Whinging was nice however, and he thought he could stand to look for a flat there, even if there was a chance he might spot his relatives in town now and again… though that could have its upsides just because he knew it might annoy them to see him around.

After a while Harry’s knees ached and his legs were half asleep. Trying to stand up on his numb legs, Harry staggered slightly, very aware that he had nearly just knocked into one of Snape’s simmering cauldrons. From the instructions on the desk next to the small cauldron Harry saw that it was a pink love potion, and Harry sniggered, wondering that Snape would sink so low as to brew and sell such a thing. The instructions told him that it was a relatively mild potion however and would not cause somebody to fall completely in love, but instead only begin to really like somebody else. Maybe I’ll just slip a drop of this in his tea, Harry thought, thinking that maybe it would cause Snape to go easier on him with his cleaning duties.

Thinking that it would be ok to walk around now that his legs had had a moment to wake up, Harry took a step forward and fell face first to the ground as his legs gave out completely from underneath him. On the way down he knocked into the work bench behind him, knocking several bottled potions into a large cauldron full of bubbling purple potion sitting on the floor next to it. A green bottled potion also knocked over on the work bench and spilled over the side onto the top of Harry’s head.

“Ick,” Harry said without thinking. He wondered what had spilled on him and hoped it wasn’t a love potion. He didn’t have time to dwell on it however as the room was quickly filling with gas that burned his lungs. It was coming from the potion that the bottled potions had spilled into. Although it was once purple and frothy, it was now black and toxic looking.

Harry tried to stand again but his legs still felt rubbery. Hurriedly he tried to rub his legs to get them to wake up so he could escape from the lab, but he was unable to in time. The last thing Harry remembered before passing out from the noxious gas was feeling as if he were shrinking into nothingness.


Harry woke to the sound of coughing… the strange thing was it wasn’t his coughing that woke him, even though his lungs burned. Oh no! Had he forgotten the bacon on the stove again and caught the kitchen on fire!? Uncle Vernon would kill him for sure this time!

He heard the coughing again and this time came fully to his senses and coughed violently himself as he opened his eyes. His lungs felt like they were on fire and he wanted to cry out in pain. Had Uncle made him swallow Aunt Petunias perfume again?

For the first time Harry realized he was being drug across the floor as he looked around the strange room he was in filled with smoke. Only a foot more though and he and his rescuer were in a smaller closet-like room and the door to the smoky room was being slammed in a hurry. It didn’t take Harry long to realize he was no longer at home at Privet Drive.

Coughing violently again, as if it might clear the burning out of his chest, Harry rolled over and tried not to vomit. Where was he and what was going on?

“Potter!” A tall man with long black hair and a thin face was barking out his name. Harry jumped and tried to sit at attention, but his body protested.

Eyes wide he stared at the man. Had Uncle Vernon finally sold him into slavery as he had promised for so many years?

“I can’t leave you alone for even an hour!?” The man was furious. Harry didn’t say anything.

The man glared down at him as if he were trying to figure out something. “Do you remember anything?” His tone had quieted some. Harry shook his head.

“Do you know who you are?” Harry nodded.

“Hm,” the man was growling to himself. “I ought to take you back and tell them you can die for all I care… you’re too much trouble to have around.”

Harry’s eyes widened more. This was an awfully interesting place, and even though he was fairly sure he had just been in a room filled with fire because of all the smoke and his burning lungs, he somehow felt he wouldn’t get thrashed as much here as he would at the hands of Uncle Vernon and Dudley. “Oh no sir! I’ll be a good boy I promise, just don’t sent me back please sir!” Harry nodded his head to show he was in earnest about his promise to be good.

The man eyed him carefully. “You don’t even know me and you want to stay here?”

Harry nodded, only knowing that anywhere had to be better that 4 Privet Drive.

The man laughed an odd strangled laugh as he coughed at the same time.

Harry wanted to ask where the bathroom was because he was fairly sure he was going to be sick soon, but didn’t want to break his promise of being a good boy. Aunt Petunia would never let him throw up in the toilet because it would be too much to clean. Harry looked around and wondered where the exit was so he could go behind a bush outside. Before he could ask, a wracking cough overtook him and the contents of his stomach spilled out onto the floor, drawing back the attention of his rescuer.

The man sneered down at him and he wanted to shrink into nothingness for embarrassment. “I’m sorry sir,” he croaked, “I’ll clean it up. Please don’t take me back!” Harry tried to scramble to his feet best he could to find a mop or even a rag, but found his legs unstable and he fell back to the floor as another wracking cough overtook him and his lungs burned worse.

Snape watched curiously as young Harry Potter, possibly around the age of eight, panicked and scrambled around the store room to find something to clean up the vomit. Just as Harry found an old rag on the floor behind a box, Snape reached down and gripped his wrist tight. “Do not.” He pulled him to his feet and just as Harry coughed again, holding his hand over his mouth, Snape disapparated them both.

With a pop they appeared in St. Mungo’s, and Harry’s legs gave out again, but Snape held him up with a firm grasp.

Harry looked around wide eyed at the waiting room of the strange new place. How had they gotten there? This was like magic!

Snape let go of his wrist and motioned for him to follow him to the counter as he and Harry both coughed violently again.

“How may we serve you today?” the nice woman was asking behind the counter. Harry wanted to point at her funny white hat but refrained, knowing he might anger his rescuer.

“There has been a lab accident in my apothecary. The boy has been regressed in age and we have both been exposed to toxic gas from an unknown potion.”

The woman wrote this all down quickly and then said, “Take the lift to the second floor. Look for Healer Lemming.” Snape nodded and dragged Harry off to the lift, dragging him out again by the wrist on the second floor.

Another woman in a funny hat came toward them and Harry’s rescuer again explained the situation, although Harry wasn’t sure what it meant when he told her that he had been “regressed” in age.

“How old was he?” She asked.

“17,” Snape said. “I had a short term age regression potion sitting on the work bench when I left. I assume he knocked it over and it spilled on him,” here he motioned to Harry’s sticky hair. “It was meant to be ingested in small doses only.”

The nice woman nodded and lead them to two beds. When Snape failed to lift Harry up onto the second one, the woman helped Harry up onto it. “Don’t worry, I don’t think your dad will be mad at you for long.” Harry’s eyes widened, his dad?

Snape cleared his throat. “He is my apprentice, not my son. Do not make assumptions. Fetch the doctor.” Harry thought he sounded strict and agitated. She left in a huff and didn’t return for some time.

Harry sat quietly struggling not to cough, afraid he might get thrashed for disturbing the quiet of the place. From what he could gather it was a strange type of hospital. He squirmed uncomfortably as his rescuer stared at him, but didn’t say anything or ask any questions as he’d been taught not to.

After a few minutes when Harry could no longer hold his coughing in and he felt as if he might be sick again, a man in a long white coat approached the two of them with several bottles full of various bright liquids on a small rolling cart.

“I’m Healer Lemming, head Healer of the Potion Reversal department.” He pulled out a slip of old looking paper and asked the man on the bed across from Harry, “You have no idea what kind of fumes you were exposed to?”

The man looked poisonous as he stared at Harry when he answered the Healer. “None. I was out and when I returned my lab was filled with smoke and I found him lying on the floor unconscious. I was brewing several potions and I can only assume he knocked ingredients or finished potions into a brewing cauldron. The only potion I know for sure is the temporary anti aging potion I finished brewing yesterday.” He motioned to the green goop on Harry’s head.

The Healer looked Harry over and said, “Well, I can help with the burning lungs, but the aging potion will have to wear off on its own. It might take a few days or a few hours… hard to tell since he didn’t ingest it.” He moved to the cart and pulled off a large bottle of pink liquid and poured it into two cups, handing one to each of them. “That will make your lungs feel better son,” he encouraged Harry. Harry nodded and drank it down in two gulps, feeling better immediately, even though it left a nasty aftertaste in his mouth.

Healer Lemming began to move off with his cart, telling Snape that they were free to check themselves out, but Snape stood quickly and said, “And what do I do with him in the meantime?”

Lemming turned and looked at him oddly. “Take him home and put him to bed?”

“I don’t know where he lives!” Suddenly Snape realized that he didn’t really know anything about Harry, including whether or not he was living on his own or not… judging by the fact that he had begged him not to take him back to his relatives, it was safe to assume he wasn’t staying there.

“He’s your apprentice and you don’t even know where he lives?” Healer Lemming seemed astounded.

Snape growled. “No.”

“Well, maybe you should find out.” Lemming strode away shaking his head.

Snape just stood there for a moment, aggravated before walking off himself with a muttered warning to Harry to “Stay put, or else.”

Harry waited on the bed, glad that his lungs were feeling much better, but concerned now that he didn’t know anything about this place or the man he had been entrusted to. But surely anything was better than staying with the Dursleys.

After a few minutes Harry watched as a young woman was lead into the room by a slightly older woman with brilliant purple hair. Quietly Harry thought the younger woman looked like a princess with her long flowing brown hair and her perfect face.

“Maybe you can sit here,” the purple haired woman suggested, leading the princess to the bed across from Harry. Both of these women looked a lot nicer than the man with long black hair, and Harry was glad for their company.

“I’ll go find a Healer,” the purple woman said, and the younger woman nodded.

After she had left, the princess turned to look at Harry and smiled as she held her arm close.

“What happened to you?” she asked.

“Me?” Harry wanted to be sure she wasn’t talking to somebody else. She nodded, and he said, “I don’t know. I woke up in a room filled with smoke and this tall man with long black hair was pulling me out… and my lungs burned. When we got here he said something about me being age re- re- regressed.” Harry nodded, pleased with himself that he had remembered the big word.

“Oh… what’s your name?”

“Harry Potter,” he said obediently, used to answer questions Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia usually threw out at him.

“Really? I’m Jennifer. You don’t know it I guess but we met before. I accidentally got your apprenticeship, and you got mine. Guess it’s not working out very well for either one of us.”

“What’s an apprenticeship?” Harry asked her curiously.

“When somebody is an apprentice it means they’re learning under a skilled person called a Master. I heard you got apprenticed to Master Snape…”

“I don’t remember any of that,” Harry said. “Can I be apprenticed to your Master? Is that the lady with the purple hair?”

Princess Jennifer nodded. “That’s her, but you have to be apprenticed to Master Snape or else I’d trade you. Being an auror is really scary.” Here she held out her arm. “There’s a lot of chances to get hurt.”

“Oh,” Harry said quietly.

Suddenly Snape was walking through the doors again, still looking agitated. He motioned for Harry to get off the bed and he did, giving a sorry wave to the princess. She sure was pretty, he thought as he followed Master Snape out, and he didn’t want to leave her there alone.

They took the lift back down to the first floor and then walked to another lift across the waiting room. Harry tried to reach up and grab Snape’s hand, thinking that he should once he saw a man with the head of a fish sitting in one of the waiting chairs, but Snape shook his hand off. Harry tried to grab the hand again as they passed a child with great big hairy paws, but again his hand was shaken off, and this time given a small slap.

“Stop that Potter,” Master Snape told him.

They entered the lift, and rose into the unknown.
The End.
End Notes:
I know this chapter was a little shorter, but the next one is quite a bit longer.
Shopkeeper by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Violence and abuse in this chapter. Read at your own risk.
On the street Snape apparated them back to the storefront of the Apothecary, still agitated that he had been told he could not leave his too-young apprentice at the hospital until he was himself again.

Harry remained silent as Master Snape walked off into the store room, and stayed where he was, unsure of whether or not he was supposed to follow. After a minute, Snape poked his head back into the shop front. “Move!” he ordered him. Harry just couldn’t seem to do anything right, he thought to himself. He had somehow managed to make Master Snape just as angry as he always made Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia.

He jumped to attention at the command and followed Master Snape into the store room, and into the now smoke free lab. On the other side of the lab Master Snape opened up a door to the right of a bathroom (Harry could see a toilet through the cracked door), and up some stairs. At the top of the stairs there was another door which Master Snape unlocked and pushed open. Inside was the cleanest, nicest flat Harry had ever seen. It was very sleek and modern looking with marble counter tops in the kitchen, a black leather couch in the living room, a glass coffee table, and tall skinny windows. Harry liked this place very much.

“You have a nice house Master,” Harry said in awe. Even though it was spotless, Harry somehow thought that Aunt Petunia would not like this place at all… she was fond of big floral patterns and special china in a glass case.

“I do not live here,” Master Snape said. “This is where my apprentice stays.”

“Me?” Harry said, surprised.

Surprised, Snape looked down at Harry, wondering that he remembered that he was an apprentice. “You remember that you are my apprentice?”

Harry shook his head. “The princess in the hospital told me.”

Snape rolled his eyes at the description of some nurse. “No, you do not live here. This is where my previous apprentice stayed, and the apprentice before that. Lattimer transformed this into the modern flat you see now. It took him a great deal of time and money.”

“Oh,” Harry wondered if Lattimer was his former apprentice. Master Snape seemed to think highly of him or her judging by his tone when he spoke about the former apprentice.

Harry stood quietly, wondering if he would be allowed to stay here instead of returning to Privet Drive. He’d do anything, he thought, to keep from going back there.

Snape motioned to the couch, suddenly agitated again. “You will sleep on the couch. Touch nothing else!” He moved off for a door which Harry assumed was to a bedroom, and slammed it closed once he was inside.

Suddenly very tired, and hungry, Harry sat apprehensively on the couch, afraid to mess anything up in the nice flat. He tried to ignore his stomach as he sat on the edge of the leather couch, and also tried to ignore the urge to go to sleep… it was so early in the day still. But the soft black couch seemed to call out to him, and before he knew what he was doing he was lying down on it being enveloped by the large fluffy cushions. He closed his eyes and let himself dream about being a knight in shining armor rescuing the princess from whatever evil tried to harm her.

* * *
Snape lay on top of the covers on his back staring at the ceiling. Why this? Why him? What had he done to deserve this cruel fate? First he had been sentenced to spend an entire apprenticeship with Harry bloody Potter, and now he was quite literally being forced to baby sit him! How outrageous! Didn’t people think he had better things to do with his time? Of course not… apothecary’s don’t have important potions to brew… Potion’s Masters don’t have important lessons to plan out… ugh… just thinking about it all drained him until his core reserves had all but given out.

What nerve the boy had… how embarrassing to have to slap his hand away in Mungos… and of course he had been made to look like the bad guy in doing it. But the boy was really 17 and he wasn’t going to coddle him, especially when it had been his own fault causing such trouble in the lab. He had half the mind to rush Potter through the apprenticeship just to be rid of him… but he knew he would be pushing the boundaries of the magic that bound them together if he released the boy without properly approving of his skills.

He groaned and rolled over, feeling ill, not sure if it was a side effect of the noxious gas he had breathed, the medicine the healer had given him, or if it was from the whole sickening situation that had been forced upon him. Somewhere somebody was laughing at him, and he realized inwardly that if not God, than himself inside for always ending up in such situations where he constantly hated his life.

* * *

Groggy, Snape found Harry sitting obediently on the couch, wide awake the next morning. Somehow the boy managed to look uncertain, but excited to see him.

“What are you staring at boy?” He sneered as he walked to the kitchen and conjured a cup of coffee.

Harry put his head down and looked at the floor. “Sorry sir.”

“I did not ask for an apology, I asked you a question Potter.”

“I’m sorry.” There it was again… was he so menacing that he frightened the child into apologies every few seconds he wondered? Or maybe the boy just did it to annoy him. Damn but he was such a brat.

Harry kept his eyes glued to the floor as he heard his Master growl faintly… he could tell he’d annoyed him already, and it wasn’t even 6:30 am yet. Harry had already disobeyed by looking through the cupboards for something to fix for breakfast, just as he did every morning for his family, but had found nothing. Maybe his master knew he had disobeyed by not staying on the couch…

Snape stared at the boy looking at the floor as he stood at the kitchen island and drank his coffee. He supposed he’d need to feed the brat too. “Are you hungry?”

Harry’s ears perked. Was Master talking to him? Surely not… nobody ever cared if Harry was hungry or not.

“I asked you a question boy!” Yes, Harry had definitely angered him. What was he supposed to do? Was he trying to trick him? Would he get spanked if he said that he was hungry?

“Yes sir.” Harry said it quietly as he nodded, eyes still glued to the hardwood floor.

“Look at me when I speak to you.”

Harry’s eyes snapped up and he squirmed as he stared the man in the eye. He had been taught not to look into the eyes of an authority figure.

“Brat,” Snape mumbled as he conjured two plates. How agitating dealing with the insolent boy. Had he been taught no manners at all? He conjured bacon, eggs, and toast, and searched the drawers for silverware until he found forks in a long skinny drawer.

“Eat,” he ordered as he pulled a stool out from the bar side of the island in the center of the kitchen floor.

Uncertain, Harry stood but didn’t move from the living room. Was all that food really for him?

Snape growled again and pointed to the stool he had pulled out. “Now.” It was a deadly tone with which he spoke and Harry thought that even Uncle Vernon could not sound so menacing. He sprang into action and speed walked over to the tall stool. He scrambled to get onto it because he was so short, and sat quietly in front of the wonderful smelling plate of food. He hoped dearly that Master Snape would eat his breakfast quickly so that he could dig into his own.

“What are you waiting for, not good enough for you?” Snape growled. Harry went to shake his head but the food was vanished before he could do it. “If you don’t like my cooking than you can go hungry.”

Harry bowed his head. His stomach grumbled uncomfortably and he so badly wanted to eat what had been offered to him. Everything here was so different than at home… he had only been there two days and already Master Snape had taken him to the doctor when he was sick, given him a soft place to sleep, cooked breakfast for him, and invited him to sit with him and eat. Nobody had ever treated him so kindly before except the neighbor lady who had once given Harry a drink of water when Uncle Vernon had locked Harry out of the house all day in the heat of summer.

Snape shook his head as he finished off his bacon. The boy sat there looking unhappy. Well what on earth did he expect being so disobedient? It was no wonder that he constantly broke the rules at Hogwarts. Suddenly he wasn’t sure what he wanted more… for Potter to stay young just a little longer so he could teach him some manners and obedience, or for him to age quickly to himself again so he wouldn’t have to play the role of baby sitter. He had work to do and he couldn’t just sit around all day with the boy. And he certainly didn’t trust him to stay in the apartment by himself.

Stomach grumbling, Harry wished it would be quiet else he be in trouble all day long for making such a racket. He fidgeted with his hands, wishing he had something to do instead of sitting at the counter smelling the food his master was eating. Anything, even cleaning would be better than that… Harry couldn’t even remember the last time he’d eaten… come to think of it he couldn’t remember how he’d even gotten to be with Master Snape. It was just a big blank spot in his memory… as if one day he had been scrubbing the floor while Dudley poked him with a stick from the garden, and the next he was throwing up on his master’s floor.

“I cannot leave you here alone.” Snape was talking, although it sounded distant to Harry as he tried to make his way out of his reverie and back to the present. “The shop is scheduled to open today. You will do everything I say or else you will be punished. Is that understood?”

The threat of punishment was enough to bring Harry out of his mind and back to the kitchen in the beautiful flat. “Yes master.” Even in his own ears he thought he sounded like a slave.

“Yes sir is fine Potter.”

“Yes sir.”

Snape sighed and vanished the remaining dishes. “Go to the bathroom and wash up. Do not come out looking scraggly.” Harry nodded and hurried to jump down off the stool and head for the bathroom. There were only four doors leading off the living room… he knew one was a bedroom and one lead downstairs, so he assumed one of the other two was a bathroom door. He guessed right and was glad to be allowed to use the toilet. Afterwards he scrubbed his face and arms and tried to run his fingers through his hair before trying to make it lay flat… it was no use however as it stayed just as wild as ever.

Back in the living room Harry found Snape waiting by the door that lead downstairs. “Follow.” At least his master’s instructions were short and to the point, Harry thought to himself. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon always followed instructions with threats of bodily harm… and sometimes got straight to the point by punishing him beforehand before he made any mistakes at all.

Downstairs Harry and Snape passed through the dungeon-like lab where Harry had woken the day before. It was smoke free now, although there were spilled potions on the workbenches and floor. The next room was the room where Harry had thrown up, but the mess had been cleaned by now. Finally Snape lead Harry back to the front of the store. Here he pointed to a tall wooden stool in the corner and said, “You are to sit there until you are told to get down. Am I understood?”

Harry nodded. “Yes sir.”

Snape glared at him in warning and Harry looked at the stone floor, wishing he’d been allowed to stay in the wonderful flat that was full of light and life. The shop seemed dark and ancient compared to the flat upstairs.

After unlocking the front door, Snape disappeared into the back and didn’t reappear until the bell above the front door announced a visitor half an hour later.

“Yes?” Snape asked the elderly woman. Harry thought she looked very funny wearing a green cape and walking around with a red polka dotted handbag, but tried not to laugh or stare.

“I need 24 ounces of frog eyes, seven feathers of Graymare wolf, and four stoppered bottles about this big,” here she held up her fingers to show the size of a bottle about 4 inches long.

Snape nodded. “That will be 12 Galleons. I will return shortly with the ingredients.”

As the woman dug through her strange hand bag Snape went to the back room. After a few moments the woman had dropped 12 golden coins on the counter and then spied Harry sitting on the tall stool quietly. “And who are you?” she asked suspiciously.

Harry was about to answer when Snape returned with a small paper sack of clinking jars. “My apprentice. There was a lab accident and he was temporarily regressed in age.”

“Pity,” she said. “I liked Helen when she was here. Any chance of getting her back?”

Snape shook his head. “I have released her from her apprenticeship and she has decided to move to Germany to be with family and start her own apothecary.”

The woman gave the coins to Snape and thanked him for the ingredients before giving Harry one last stare, and then leaving.

“Do not talk to customers,” Snape told Harry as he disappeared into the back.

“Yes sir,” Harry said quietly to himself.

Harry’s back was stiff from sitting still for so long before the next customer came in, this time a young man about 20. Again Snape appeared from the back. The man dropped a sack full of coins on the counter and Snape reached beneath the counter and withdrew a small jar of green cream.

“Use it sparingly,” Snape instructed him. The younger man nodded, looking uncomfortable before he left quickly, stuffing the small jar inside his jacket pocket.

“Some customers order ahead of time,” Snape informed Harry at the boy’s quizzical look. Harry listened intently, hoping for more information, or just hoping to be talked to, but no more was forthcoming, and Snape once again disappeared into the back room. Several more customers came and went before lunch time, and occasionally one of them asked who Harry was. Harry spied the time on the last customers watch before they left, and wondered if Snape had already eaten because it was one o’clock. Perhaps he too thought that Harry didn’t need to eat more than one meal a day… Harry hoped this wasn’t so because if it was then he had already missed his chance at his one meal when breakfast had been taken away from him.

Near three o’clock a woman and her young daughter came into the shop. Immediately the girl spied Harry. She looked a little older than he was, but he couldn’t be sure… most kids his age were bigger than he was.

While Snape was in the back finding the ordered supplies the girl walked over to Harry and began poking him in the side. When Harry tried to brush her hand away, she began poking him harder. He hoped her mother would make her stop, but she was digging around in her purse instead, ignoring her daughter.

Finally when the girl had grown bored of poking Harry and had moved on to punching him in the side instead, giggling quietly because he didn’t tell her to stop, Snape walked in and set the ingredients on the counter in two large paper bags. He took the money from the woman and spied her daughter hitting Harry hard in the leg while Harry tried to shoo her away. He cleared his throat and the girl stopped immediately, shrinking at the glare Snape gave her. Harry was very thankful when the woman and her daughter left.

Harry held his side where it had been hit several times, but didn’t complain, afraid that he would be in trouble.

By day’s end, Harry was extremely hungry and was feeling faint. Usually by now he would have snuck something from the fridge when Aunt Petunia wasn’t looking, but he couldn’t get upstairs without having to pass Snape, and he knew that even if he managed that, the fridge was
empty.

Snape locked the door at five and told Harry he could get off the stool. Harry followed him back up the stairs and into the flat. His mouth began to water when he smelled the apartment. It still smelled like bacon and eggs from that morning.

“Sit at the counter,” Snape instructed him, seeming quiet and less menacing than he had at the start of the day.

Harry did as he was told, but swayed as he sat on the stool and watched his Master conjure plates from thin air and begin conjuring various vegetables. Harry felt dizzy as Snape set to work chopping carrots and tomatoes with skilled precision, and before Harry knew it he was lying sprawled on the hard tile kitchen floor, dazed and wondering what he was doing down there looking up at the ceiling.

Severus heard a thud and looked over to see Harry gone. He hurried around the counter and found him looking confused laying on the floor.

“Potter?”

“’m sorry sir,” he said, trying to sit up but finding it a difficult task. Severus wiped his hands on his pants and then lifted Harry from under the arms into a standing position. Harry swayed a little but held onto the counter for support.

“What’s wrong with you?” It came out harsher than he meant, and to Harry it sounded as if he were in trouble, rather than being a question of concern.

“’m really sorry,” his words were slurred and his mind blurry. He was so hungry he could barely stand it. He could remember feeling like this laying in his cupboard under the stairs when he angered his aunt or uncle so much that they withheld food for days sometimes… he would just lay there in the dark weak and tired, mind fuzzy, not being able to understand anything.

“Stop apologizing. Here,” Snape lead him to a lower chair next to the kitchen table and sat him down. “Why did you collapse?”

Harry’s stomach grumbled and answered for him, which drew a frown from his Master. “Why did you not eat when you had the chance this morning?” There was definite anger in his voice, partly because he had forgotten that the boy needed to eat lunch, and partly because it was the boy’s own fault not eating breakfast.

When Harry didn’t answer, Snape shook him by the shoulders slightly. “Answer me!”

Unable to help it, Harry’s eyes teared up slightly. “You took it away before I could eat it sir. I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to faint. Please don’t send me to bed without any dinner. I won’t do it again, I promise.”

Severus let go of Harry’s shoulders, taken aback. “I took it away because you stuck your nose up at it.”

Harry shook his head. “I really wanted it. I’m not used to getting breakfast.” Usually he snuck something from the pan as he cooked, but if too much was missing when he served his family, then he was given extra chores for the day.

Eying him carefully, Severus tried to assess if there was any truth to that. He decided that there wasn’t. What family wouldn’t feed their children breakfast? Of course he himself had forgotten to give the boy lunch, but he wasn’t accustomed to eating lunch himself, and he wasn’t accustomed to having to care for small children and their every need… even at Hogwarts the students took care of themselves for the most part.

“You will go to bed early for lying to me.” Harry turned away to hide his tears. He didn’t want to go to bed feeling this way again with an empty stomach and a clouded mind. “After dinner,” Snape clarified, seeing how upset the punishment had made Harry.

Harry relaxed a little and waited quietly while Snape finished preparing salad. Harry generally didn’t like salad but was so hungry that he couldn’t help but scarf his whole plate down, drawing glares from Severus for being so rude by eating so quickly.

When he was done, Snape pointed at the couch. “Go sit down. I ought to make you do the dishes the Muggle way too for lying to me but I don’t want you passing out again and dropping them on the floor.” Harry moved for the couch, glad that his stomach was full. He’d never been given so much food in his life, and he hoped he wouldn’t sick it back up later on.

Drowsy, Harry sat on the couch and tried not to fall asleep, but he couldn’t help it. Aside from the night before, he had never had such a soft place to sleep, and the leather couch cushions invited his aching body and every aching muscle to relax.

Snape watched as Harry struggled to stay awake, but eventually drifted off to sleep. Some punishment going to bed early was if the boy wasn’t going to be upset by it. He finished his own meal and vanished the dirty dishes and left-over food before going to his own temporary bedroom to read. For the second night in a row he fell into an uneasy sleep, thinking about the day’s events… why hadn’t Potter asked for lunch if he was so hungry?

* * *

“Ahhh!” Severus sat straight up in the dark, knowing that something had woken him, although he didn’t know what. He waited silently, ears perked for any sound of danger.

“Arrrg nooo!” There it was again…. Potter!

Severus sprang from the bed, still dressed from the day before and tore out into the dark living room where the cries originated from. He didn’t see anybody but Harry thrashing around violently on the couch, fighting nobody but thin air. Thank God he was only having a nightmare Severus thought… from the racket he was making he thought the boy was being murdered.

He shook Harry’s shoulder but instead of waking up Harry only tried to push him away. “No, don’t… I won’t be bad I promise! Please!”

Severus shook him harder and Harry opened his eyes, but he still struggled with him in the darkness, not fully awake. Mistakenly thinking that he could reach Harry’s mind and pull him from the dream, Severus looked into the boy’s eyes and searched for him in the nightmare, only to find himself unable to back out of the dream when he had second thoughts upon seeing it.

He could tell that Harry’s mind was foggy, perhaps from lack of food, and being there in such a dream made Severus feel foggy and sick himself.

Severus watched as a beefy man pulled Harry from a tiny cupboard and threw him down to the floor. Harry looked sickly and had bags under his eyes. “Get up boy!” he growled. Harry tried, but was too weak.

“You’ve been lying around for three days! This house is a mess because you’re such a lazy little wretch! Get to work!”

“Please,” Harry begged, trying to get up off the floor, but the man pushed him over with his foot and threatened to beat him if he didn’t start cleaning.

A moment later and Severus was watching Harry scrub the kitchen floor on his hands and knees, looking sicker than ever while a bigger boy teased him and told him that if he got anybody else sick he was going to be made to sleep in the shed. Harry looked up at the boy and Severus saw the sweat on Harry’s face… he was clearly burning up. Harry swayed a little bit and his face paled, and before he could get his hand all the way up to his mouth, he threw up all over the kitchen floor that he had just been scrubbing.

“Eeewwwww! Muuuuuummmmm!” the pudgy boy was screaming, running from the room covering his mouth. Harry hurried trying to clean up the mess he’d made but before he could get very much of it up a woman Severus recognized as Lily’s sister was standing in the kitchen screaming for her husband. And then the beefy man was back and holding Harry up by the shirt collar. “Look at what you’ve done! You’ll pay for this boy!”

“No, no,” Harry pleaded, “I’m sorry! I’ll be a good boy, please! I’ll clean it all up!” But the beefy man wasn’t listening, he was already throwing Harry to the floor into the throw up and kicking him hard in the side while Petunia and her pudgy son just looked on…

Sickened, Severus forced his way back out of the dream and into the present as Harry continued to struggle, trying to block his uncle’s kicks and punches. He shook Harry hard and said his name repeatedly until he finally woke from his dream, sweaty and looking almost as sick as he had in his nightmare.

Harry looked around the dark flat wildly and breathed in the deep fresh air, trying to calm himself. “What… what’s going on? Did I wake you sir? I’m really sorry, it won’t happen again.”

Suddenly Severus understood what the apologies were all about… suddenly he understood why Harry had a habit of looking at the floor instead of at him when he was being spoken to, and why he would rather stay with Snape, not knowing who he was or why he was there than return to his own family. Severus also now had no doubt that Harry had not lied when he had said he didn’t often get to eat breakfast, and he felt sickened that he had not let him eat it, and then had not given him lunch.

“Do not be sorry,” Severus said quietly, sickened with himself with the revelation that Harry Potter, most famous light wizard of the century had grown up being abused, starved, and neglected. And here he was making his apprentice clean day after day, just as his family had done to him, without food, and without letting up. He was no better than Harry’s relatives.

“Sir?” he had been quiet for a few moments now, and Harry wondered if he was in trouble for screaming out into the night. If he screamed loud enough to wake anybody in the house, he usually received a good thrashing before being sent back to bed.

“Do you feel better now?” A silly question, how could he after reliving such a memory? And how often did he relive such nightmares?

Harry nodded. “Yes sir.”

“Good, go back to sleep.” He forced calm over his voice and left Harry there to sort through things as he went back to his room to think on things himself. If only he had known… if only somebody had known the way he was being treated… he could have lived at Hogwarts until he was old enough to attend… anywhere would have been better than where he had been.

* * *

Harry was woken by the smell of bacon and eggs. A plate was waiting for him on the coffee table in front of the couch. He sat up, eyes wide at the double portion that had been given to him.

“That is for the breakfast you were denied yesterday,” Severus told him from the kitchen, where he washed up dishes by hand in the sink. For some reason he felt he needed to do things the Muggle way when he thought he needed to gain perspective on things. It had been for this reason that Harry had spent a week cleaning the apothecary by himself over and over again. He had planned on making the boy do it for as long as it took, but now he had realized that it was not Harry, but he himself that needed to gain perspective on what had happened.

“It’s all for me sir?” Harry asked.

Severus nodded. “Yes. Do not eat too fast or you will be sick.”

Harry thought his eyes might just pop out of his head as he dug into the wonderful meal. He had never had such food before, especially not prepared for him by somebody else!

After he had eaten as much as he could, Harry asked if there was a way to save the food for later. He hated to waste food when he knew it was all for him, and knowing that he wasn’t sure if he’d be allowed lunch today.

“Stick it in the fridge if you truly wish, but I will make you whatever food you desire when you are hungry if you ask.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Now go wash up.”

Harry hurried into the bathroom, and when he was done he was lead downstairs and to the front of the shop as he had been the day before. He moved for the stool, thinking he would have to sit there all day again, but Severus stopped him.

“You will help me serve customers today.” Harry’s eyes brightened. “Really?”

“Yes. You will wait here, and when a customer comes in, you will ask what they want.” He pulled out a pad of paper and an ordinary Muggle pen. “Do you know how to write?” Harry nodded eagerly. Aunt Petunia had made him learn so that he could write down long lists of chores he needed to do.

“Then you will write down what the customers want and bring it to me in the store room. Then you will take the customer’s money and put it in this box.” Here he showed Harry a lockbox under the counter. Harry nodded again and Severus left him there to go start a potion in the lab.

It wasn’t but a few minutes until a middle-aged man with short blond hair came into the shop and asked for 4 ounces of lacewig flies, and a boarhound tooth. Harry wrote down the order eagerly, asked the man to please wait, and ran into the store room where he found Severus labeling a bottle containing bright red liquid. He handed him the paper and Severus began pulling things down from the shelves and putting them into a paper bag.

“A Knut is a small bronze coin, a Sickle is a medium silver coin, and a Galleon is a large gold coin. Tell the man that it costs four Sickles, and put the money where I told you to.”

Harry nodded and ran back out to the front of the shop where the man waited patiently. “This costs four Sickles please.”

The man smiled and dropped four silver coins on the counter and Harry put them away.

“Thank you, come again!” Harry said as the man left the shop. He had heard people on TV say this sometimes when people left stores.

Severus kept an eye on Harry’s progress throughout the day, always listening and occasionally watching from the storeroom door whenever Harry dealt with customers, and overall was pleased with his progress. He let Harry tend the shop the next day as well, and Harry did well again. On the third day Severus noticed that Harry had grown tall enough to see over the counter and knew that the potion was finally wearing off. By Thursday morning, Harry was 17 again. Severus walked out into the living room to find Harry sitting at the counter eating a scrambled egg and bacon sandwich.

“You appear to be yourself again.”

Harry nodded, wondering if himself meant that he should have a headache the size of Ireland. “I feel like I have a hangover and I’m starved.”

“Growing is serious business.” Harry didn’t respond so Severus conjured himself a cup of coffee and asked, “What do you remember about the last week?” He was anxious to know if Harry had forgotten everything… including the nightmare and Severus taking away his breakfast.

Scratching the back of his head, Harry lied, “Not much. It’s kind of a blur.” Somehow he felt better thinking that if Snape didn’t know what he remembered they’d both be better off. Harry was wary of Snape knowing too much about his past… there was too much there that Snape could hold over him and hurt him with if he really wanted to, and Harry didn’t like the idea of that at all. Although, he had to hand it to the man for taking care of him for that long in the state he was in. He had been nicer to him as a small child than he ever had been to him at Hogwarts.

“What do you remember?” There was a nagging curiosity in the back of his mind that kept trying to slip out.

“Tending shop… seeing Tonks and Jennifer in Mungo’s… that’s about it.” There, that seemed believable enough.

“Hm…” Snape seemed to think on it. “You may continue to tend the shop if you please, provided you familiarize yourself with the inventory of stocked potions.”

Harry nodded…anything was better than cleaning.
The End.
End Notes:
Let me know what you think. This will be the only chapter with abuse in it but I can't promise it will be the only one with violence of one sort or another. Hope it was interesting for you.
The Princess by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Finally we see the Weasleys!

Note: It may seem that Snape and Harry moved fast past their animosity, but they have come to an understanding and Harry is coming to terms with his situation.
Harry was pleased about being allowed to tend the shop, but he was ecstatic to be offered the apartment above the apothecary free of rent.

"Really? I can live there?"

Snape nodded. "It is always given to my apprentice... I was not sure if you lived on your own, but when no one came looking for you..."

"Nobody knows I'm your apprentice except the girl who got my apprenticeship... everybody thinks I'm an auror."

"You lied?"

"No, I just didn't go back to Ron's house and I didn't tell them what I was doing. I was going to tell them the day of the accident."

"Hm... do you plan on doing so now?"

The question struck Harry as odd; why did Snape even care? He shrugged figuring it was a good enough answer for him considering that his personal life really was none of Snape's business.

Harry's shrug seemed to tell Snape just that, to butt out, so he left Harry in the storeroom going over the inventory of stocked ingredients.

Now that he had an apartment, Harry knew he'd have to tell Ron where he was staying because he'd have to go back to the Burrow to get his things. He didn't enjoy living in the same two pairs of clothes every day, and wanted his things back, especially since he had just spent a bundle on new clothes a few weeks ago after he'd finished up at Hogwarts.

He still hadn't finished the inventory at five that evening so he marked his place on the eight-foot long scroll of parchment and headed for the door. Snape appeared before he could make his exit out onto the street however and held out a pair of keys.

"The small one is to the shop door, the large one is to the apartment. There is also a door into the apartment from the outside of the building in the alley in the back. I would prefer you use that door when bringing company in so that important potions are not disturbed."

Harry nodded. "Got it. Thanks." He tried to ignore the uncomfortable look Severus gave him as he walked off with the keys. It was a look that told Harry he was worried that he might come home stumbling drunk with a gang of hooligan friends and trash the shop. Harry shrugged it off and apparated to the Burrow when he was sure nobody on the street was looking.

Having been told not to knock, Harry strolled in the back door to the Burrow, and found Ginny and Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen.

"Harry dear! We've been so worried! How has training been for you?"

He scratched the back of his head. "Er, interesting? I'm not in the auror apprenticeship program. They made a mistake and my apprenticeship got given to somebody else."

Ron walked into the kitchen and leaned against the wall to hear Harry's story. "So you're not apprenticed at all? Where've you been then mate?"

His stomach squirmed as he tried to figure out how to say it just the right way. "No, I got apprenticed, but you won't like it when you find out where they put me."

Mrs. Weasley stopped stirring her stew to listen and Ron raised his brows. "Well, go on then, it can't be that bad... did you get put in the department for magical sports or something?"

Harry shook his head. "They apprenticed me to an apothecary."

"What? That's going to be so boring though!"

Harry shrugged, "I haven't really done anything yet except clean and tend shop... and end up in Mungo's."

"Are you alright?" Ginny took half a step towards him. Harry had somehow managed to escape serious injury during the final battle with Voldemort, and now the entire Weasley clan was on edge about him getting any kind of injury at all after surviving what he had.

"Yeah, fine. I just got shorter was all... and a bit younger," he added in at the last second.

"How young?" Ron asked.

"I was eight."

Ron sniggered and Mrs. Weasley looked disapproving. "How on earth did that happen?" she asked.

"I knocked over an anti aging potion and the whole thing dumped on my head."

"Well, maybe being an apothecary isn't so boring," said Ron. "Who's your master?"

"Er... well that's the part you won't like."

Mrs. Weasley stirred the stew again as she thought and said, "Well as far as I know there are only 12 apothecaries in the UK... I haven't been to most of them. There's the one in Diagonalley, and the one in Hogsmead, two in London, one in Blackpool..."

"That one," Harry said, wondering how long they'd let him dance around the subject.

"Well who runs that one? I can't remember now."

"Snape," Harry said, scratching the back of his head again.

"Ha ha Harry, really funny you are... you're starting to sound like Fred and George." Ron looked relieved suddenly thinking Harry was only joking, but when Harry didn't say anything else his eyes widened. "Seriously? They put you with that bat?"

Harry shrugged. "I got a really nice apartment," he said, trying to change the subject.

"That's nice Harry," Mrs. Weasley said, trying to help, "is it in Blackpool as well, or did you find something in London?"

"Blackpool on St. Bedes Ave. It came furnished and everything... it's actually right above the shop and I get it free of rent until I'm done."

Ginny grinned. "Can we see it?"

"Don't be rude Ginny, it's not nice to invite yourself places!" Mrs. Weasley scolded.

"Yeah, sure," Harry said, proud that he had such a nice place to show everybody. "I'd been searching all over for something cheap but everything I found was trashy. I'm glad I have this place."

"When can we see it?" Ginny asked. Ron remained silent against the wall looking appalled that Harry was living above Snape's shop.

"Anytime," Harry said. "We can go now if you want."

"If you stay for dinner then we can all go afterwards," Mrs. Weasley said. "Arthur is away for a few days for the Ministry so it's just the three of us here."

Harry nodded, "Sounds good."

After dinner the four of them apparated to St. Bedes Ave, Mrs. Weasley apparating Ginny since she wasn't old enough to do it herself yet.

It was dark, and Harry had to admit that the alley off of St Bedes... well, even St Bedes looked a little dodgy, especially at night.

"Figures Snape's shop would be here," Ron muttered under his breath, to a disapproving look from his mother.

"The shop is actually pretty nice," Harry said. The entrance to the apartment is down the side alley though and up some stairs. He lead them around to the side and then up the stairs to the second floor to the intricately carved wooden door; the only door on the landing.

Harry fumbled with his keys for a moment in the darkness, and then let them all in and waved up the lights with his wand.

"Blimy Harry, Snape let you have this?"

"Yep," Harry nodded, deciding to exclude the part about Snape only giving it to him because he felt guilty for not feeding him as an eight year old.

"How many rooms Harry?" Ron was now looking up at the high ceiling and admiring it.

"I don't know. I haven't really had a chance to explore it yet. So far he had seen the kitchen, the couch, and the bathroom. There were other doors, but he hadn't been allowed in there as a small child.

Together they opened the various doors, and Harry found a large bedroom with a king sized bed with a black comforter, and a smaller bedroom behind what he had previously assumed was a closet door, this one with a queen sized bed, a desk, and a closet.

"Two bedrooms then," Ron hedged, and Ginny gave her brother a knowing look. Ron did not want to remain living at home, but could not afford rent on his own at this point. Harry knew this, and shrugged, and said. "I just figured you'd move in with me when I got my own place... you know, unless you and Hermione-" He faltered when he saw the sharp look Mrs. Weasley sent him, and then finished with, "you know, unless you and Hermione were wanting to live in the same city."

"Really, you mean I can move in?"

Harry nodded. "I'd have to ask Snape you know, and he may say no. But you know even if you can't move in with me, you'll always have a couch to sleep on."

Ron nodded. "I still need to get a job first so I can pay for food and everything, and I reckon by the time you ask Snape about me moving in I might have one."

Plopping down on the couch next to Ginny as Mrs. Weasley began casting cleaning charms in the kitchen cupboards to get rid of some of the dust, Harry asked, "Have any leads yet?"

"No. I was going to work for Fred and George, but business has been down a little... you know how it is. They say they can't afford to pay for help right now. And I have applications in at the Ministry, but they seem full up too.

"What about becoming an Auror's apprentice?"

"Maybe, but I reckon I've had enough of wizard hunting for a while. I'll do that as a last resort... maybe in a few years when you finish up here and try for Auror again."

Running a hand through his hair, Harry nodded. "Yeah, well that's going to be a long wait." Even a year would be a long wait, but three or four? Snape was definitely being nicer to him now, but Harry just didn't know if he could handle the man for that long.

* * *

The Weasley's came and went over the next few days, helping Harry get moved in and helping him with various magical cleaning and changing spells, helping him change the colors of some of the walls, and other things. Harry found that white and beige walls throughout the entire apartment made the whole place feel just a little too sterile for him. So now the kitchen had some deep yellow beige in it, and his bedroom had an entire red wall behind the head of his bed, which went nicely with the darker shade of beige they had spelled up there.

Mrs. Weasley had been kind enough to add nice brown pillows and a soft red and gold patchwork quilt to the couch, as well as supply Harry with some old dishes and silverware, and numerous other things needed when living on his own.

"I'm just going to miss you so much Harry!" She had cried when it was time to leave Wednesday night. He had told her of course that he would still visit often and that they were all welcome in his home any time.

It was Friday now and Harry was looking forward to the weekend to himself in his new apartment as he tended shop. He had just finished wiping down the counter, and had a grin on his face at the thought of his new home when the bell above the door rang and a woman slightly older than Harry walked in.

He looked up, and couldn't help a grin from spreading over his face. "Jennifer," he said, leaning on the counter as she walked over.

"I was curious to see if you regained your age... I don't know if you remember or not, but I saw you in St. Mungo's when you were... smaller."

"Yeah, I remember. I thought you were a princess."

She raised a brow. "You did?"

Harry nodded. "How's Auror training going?"

"There's a lot of physical exercise every day, and we have a stack of books we have to memorize by October when we take our first year exams."

"Yeah? What all do the exams include? Just things from the books or practical as well?"

"There's a written exam, a physical exam where we have to run an obstacle course while chasing a suspect, and a practical exam, where we're given a mock scenario and are left with the other apprentices to take care of the problem ourselves."

"That sounds great," Harry said, eager to hear more.

"Great? It's a lot of hard work."

"Oh yeah, but it's got to be fun too! I mean, you just can't get a better job than making the world safer... keeping your family and friends safe and knowing you did good at the end of the day."

"I can think of a better one," she sighed, "and you're doing it."

He grinned and felt his cheeks turning a little hot. "Well, it's not really as bad as I thought at first. Fun even if you don't get potion's spilled on your head. But I'd still love to be out doing what you're doing."

"You can borrow some of my books if you like. I'm done with three of them. One is a policy manual for the department, one is an exercise manual, and the third is a defensive tactics manual."

"Really? I'd love to have a look, or if you give me the titles I can go buy them myself."

Suddenly Harry noticed the odd look she was giving him. It wasn't a bad look, just a curious one.

"You would really go to the trouble studying a job that isn't yours to have?"

"It's not my occupation yet, but as soon as I'm done here, it will be. I want to be ready for it. This way I'll have a head start." He paused, and then said, "Maybe I can show you some things too. Master Snape has lent me a few books on potions, and one on business. I've got the business one down, and he told me I won't have a test until December, so I've got a while to read the potion's ones. I'm already halfway through healing potions."

"So... a deal then? I'll study with you, and you'll study with me?"

"If that's what you want. I have an apartment upstairs. My friend wants to move in with me, but it will be a while before he does, if Master Snape permits, so it's nice and quiet up there. And I have most of Saturday and all of Sunday off."

"I have Friday and Sunday off, and I get off every night at five."

"So, a study date then?"

She smiled and he noticed her cheeks tinge red a little as well. "Yes, I suppose it is that. I'll see you Sunday morning and we'll get started."

"Great."

Jennifer left, and Harry couldn't shake the feeling that with her beauty, she really was a princess. He had a good feeling about this, and let his anticipation about Sunday carry him through the rest of his day, and all through the night.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry about the long wait! I had life to attend to. What do you think? Another chapter coming soon!
Foragers by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
A nice long, exciting, 13 page chapter for you. Enjoy!
Sunday could not come soon enough. Jennifer showed up at the front door to the shop, where Harry met her and lead her around the side of the building to the alley, as he had promised Snape he would when he had visitors, and lead her upstairs. She took in the state of his apartment, and asked, "You were in Gryffindor, right?"

He smiled a little sheepishly and said, "Yeah. Colors give it away?"

She smiled warmly back at him. "That, or maybe it's the giant Gryffindor coat of arms painted on the ceiling.

Harry looked up and flushed. He hadn't seen that there, but figured now that it was Ron's addition while Harry went to the bathroom the night before just before his friend had left. "Guess my friend Ron did that last night when I wasn't watching him properly."

"It's a nice touch." There was an awkward moment of silence before Harry asked her to sit down at the square kitchen table with tall chairs, and indicated a stack of Potions books he was willing to lend her.

"Here are mine, and I added the fourth one..." she told him, "I'll need that one back next month. We aren't scheduled to start reading it until then, but in the mean time you can read it."

"I'll start with that one then."

"Sounds good, just so that you know I can't help you with it yet."

"I'll keep it in mind."

They spent the morning going over the basics of each of the text books, both finding it a good review for themselves to lead the other through the material they already knew, and both being excited to be learning new information from the other.

"You'll be a useful study partner when exams come around," she told Harry as he got up and pulled a plate of Molly's leftovers out of the fridge and brought them over to her with an empty plate and two forks.

"Yeah, reckon so. My friend Hermione made us study all the time for exams so I guess I picked up some good habits."

"Where is she now?"

"She got a job in a magical research firm in London... it's run by some ex-ministry member who used to belong to the Department of Mysteries. She's excited about helping to create new magic, but I think she'll be happiest when she can eventually get a job teaching at Hogwarts."

"After seven years there she wants to go back?"

Harry shrugged. "To each his own? Look at us, you want to be an apothecary, a job I think would be dreadful, and I want to be an Auror, which is the job you think is dangerous."

"Honestly, I just don't know how this could happen to us."

"Maybe we're just meant to start a super hero gang of apothecary crime fighters who experiment with magic and teach others how to do it?"

She gave a short laugh accompanied by an incredulous look. "And your friend Ron, where does he fit in?"

"Not sure yet. He says he might try for Auror when I give it a go again. I think he'd be happy in Magical Games and Sports but there aren't any openings right now."

After lunch they studied for a short while longer before Harry asked, "Is there anything practical you can teach me? I can do the reading and exercise on my own, but what about the practice?"

"We've been learning multiplied shield charms. These are useful when you're with at least one other person in a battle situation. Both or multiple parties pour their magical energy into a single shield in order to strengthen it. Then once it has been made stronger, all but one party releases their magic and the one person left maintains the power that has been poured into it."

"Sounds like fun," Harry said, sitting forward eagerly. "Can we try it?"

"We can try, but I'm not very good at it. We've been at it for weeks and I can't seem to get it."

"Go over the details with me and we'll work on it."

For the next two hours Harry and Jennifer struggled with the spell until they finally managed to create a multiplied shield, and finally Harry was able to maintain it by himself when Jennifer released it.

"I'm exhausted," she said, falling back onto the couch when Harry released the shield.

"Yeah, but it was good practice right? We both got it!"

"I can do a two person shield. Wait until you have to learn to conform and twist your magic to match three or four or more people's."

"If I invite Ron over, will you practice it with both of us?"

"Yes, but it will have to be on a Sunday again, because I'm too pooped after eight hours of training any other day."

"Got it. I'll ask him. And after we get it together with the three of us we can get Hermione or Ginny."

"There's a new name. Who is she?"

"Ron's younger sister. This year will be her last year at Hogwarts."

She eyed him curiously for a few minutes and then said, "There was something there between you, wasn't there?"

Harry bit his lip and flushed a little, before he rubbed the back of his neck and said, "We dated my sixth and seventh year."

"And now?"

"I'm not really sure. We are and kind of aren't at the same time. I'm not sure what will happen when she goes back to Hogwarts... she might decide she likes somebody her own age."

"Do you still like her?"

Harry turned red again and nodded.

"Oh, so you more than like her? I bet you love her don't you?"

"Why are you so interested?" he asked, knowing Hermione would kick him in the shins if she were there. Did she like him too?

"Just curiosity was all. I wanted to know more about my study partner who thinks I'm a princess and thinks exhausting shield charms are fun."

"Oh. What about you then?"

"There's a boy in the program that I like a little, but I haven't a clue if he likes me."

"Who is he?"

"Draco Malfoy, I think he was in your year?"

Harry raised his brows a little and by the way he fidgeted Jennifer could tell she'd raised his ire as well.

"I take it you know him?"

"We were kind of on the outs at school. He applied to be an Auror?"

"Got in with high marks from what I hear. He does pretty well on the weekly exams. He's apprenticed to Kingsley Shacklebolt."

"Huh," was all that Harry could manage to muster.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, I guess. I just wish I was there in the auror program. I can't really imagine doing much else except flying maybe on a team."

"Well, maybe someday you'll finish here and get apprenticed to me! I'll be an auror by then."

Harry grinned. "Now that would be something wouldn't it?"

* * *

Potter was in an inexplicably good mood Monday morning, Severus noted as the boy mopped with a bounce in his step, and smiled at each customer, taking extra care to bid them a good day.

"I take it something monumental has changed in your life Potter, or is the apartment just that wonderful?"

"Sir?"

"Your mood leaves nothing to be desired compared to your attitude four weeks ago."

Harry shrugged. "I learned some new spells was all."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I learned a multiplied shield charm and some other stuff."

"And from whom did you learn this?"

Harry bit his lip. He could tell that he had peaked Snape's interest now, and suddenly wondered if he had done something wrong by learning the tricks of another trade.

"Jennifer, that girl that got my apprenticeship... she came over Sunday and we exchanged some books."

"Am I to understand that you loaned her your apprenticeship books, that I gave to you to learn Potter?"

"Well I read two of them sir, and it's only for a short time. We just wanted to look at the others books."

"To what purpose?" Snape asked as he directed Harry to chop up some ingredients on the middle table in the lab.

"So that I can become an Auror." Harry would have thought that was obvious, but apparently not.

"You are studying to become an apothecary."

"Yeah, well right now I am. I mean when I'm done here in four years. This way I'll be ready for the Auror Program too and she'll be ready for the Apothecary apprenticeship."

"And you honestly believe that after four years of training to become an Auror she will settle for Apothecary?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't know. But we're helping each other study both apprenticeships in the mean time. She's tutoring me in what she's learning so she's reviewing in a way, and I'm doing the same for her."

"And what happens when I ask you to brew me a class three burn salve?"

Here Severus was sure he'd caught the boy, because his potions had always turned out abysmal in class, no doubt from lack of studying, but Harry stood up straight and stopped his chopping. "I can do it sir."

"Then do so now. If you fail to produce a viable potion, you will cease and desist in studying Auror books until you can pass your first exam in December. Understood?"

"Yes sir." He said it with such a confidence that for a moment Severus actually believed the boy would brew the potion properly.

"With no instructions Potter. From memory."

"Yes sir."

Three hours later, Harry set the tin of burn salve on the counter next to Severus as a customer left and Severus looked down on it. It was certainly the right color, and they had none in stock, meaning that Harry couldn't have taken some and passed it off as his own.

"Place some on your bare arm Potter."

Harry did so and nothing happened. After a moment Severus used a rag to wipe the salve off. The skin was unblemished. Any mistake in this potion would have actually burned the skin worse.

"This is acceptable. And your study arrangement with your friend will remain so as long as your studies in Potions do not diminish from today's performance."

"Thank you sir," Harry said, grinning because he had done well.

"Speaking of your performance, your assistance is needed tomorrow evening for a difficult task." When Severus saw that he had Harry's full attention, he continued, "Tomorrow night is the second full moon after summer solstice. There is a rare plant that only blooms under these conditions, and must be collected between midnight and three am."

"Where do we go to collect it?"

"There are some mountains north of here that we will apparate to. You are to wear clothing you do not mind getting soiled, as we will be spending most of the night on our hands and knees in the dirt." Snape paused and pulled a card out of his pocket, handing it to Harry. "You are also to familiarize yourself with this plant. The Ignea Horus species is delicate and must be handled with a certain amount of care. The details are on the back of this card, and whilst we are out collecting the plant you are to keep it with you at all times."

Harry scanned the card and found a fair amount of information crammed on the back. The picture on the front displayed a small purple flower with a black stem spotted with gray flecks.

True to his word, Harry found himself on all fours the next night in some distant, dark, lonely mountains, searching for the purple flower. It was chilly out and Harry was glad he'd had the foresight to put on a jacket, even if it was a light one.

"What are the names of these mountains again sir?" Harry asked as he plucked up one of the tiny flowers by the roots and put it in the magical sack slung over his shoulder, made to keep the flowers fresh.

"To wizards they are known as the Frems. They are densely packed with all manner of magical herbs and ingredients."

"These are in the Forbidden Forest too aren't they?" Harry asked as he plucked two more up from behind a large tuft of grass jutting out behind a tree. He sat up and smacked his head on a low hanging limb, and cursed softly, wishing they were allowed to use their wands for light instead of just having moonlight to go off of. Unfortunately they would ruin the plant if any artificial light fell on them.

"And how would you know this?"

"We saw some the night-" Harry paused, very aware that he and Ron weren't supposed to be out in the Forest at all, let alone by themselves at night as students at Hogwarts.

"Yes?"

"Never mind," Harry said, wondering if he could get into any trouble at this point for old school offenses.

"Oh no, do tell Potter. What were you doing in the Forest at night when you were still a student?"

Harry bit his lip once and then said, "The night Ron and I followed a trail of spiders into the Forest to find Aaragog, Hagrid's giant spider."

"You searched out acromantula's?"

"It was in our second year. But Mr. Weasley's Ford Anglia came out of nowhere and saved us."

Severus eyed him from his knees across the clearing, and Harry was sure if there was enough light he would have seen the glare that he felt.

"Wonders never cease," he muttered under his breath. "The boy who lives to put himself in danger is my apprentice."

"Who can brew pretty well," Harry added indignantly.

"Even so. I believe it is a good thing that you did not get placed in the Auror program, for your own safety."

Harry blew some air up at his bangs to get them out of his eyes and was just about to retort when a not so distant howl rent the night. They froze.

"Sir," Harry whispered just loud enough for Severus to hear. "There aren't... werewolves out here are there?" He could see Snape's rigid form, body alert and wand out.

"Yes, but that was no werewolf."

"What then-" Another howl cut him off, and he knew that Snape was right. It sounded almost, human, and it was coming closer.

"Keep your wand out Potter. Do not apparate, no matter what happens, understood?"

"Yes but-" Snape held up a hand to cut him off as he moved next to Harry and crouched down beside him.

"Did you learn about Sirens?" At the confused look on his face he clarified, "Also known as Hags. They are a rogue type of witch. They live in covens and do not recognize the Ministry as in authority over them. They are dangerous, especially to males. If you let them, they will wrap you in their wiles and enslave you."

"What are they doing out here?" Harry said, trying not to let panic and skepticism seep through his voice.

"Probably the same thing we are Potter. Apothecaries, witches, Sirens, wizards... all are amongst the world tonight collecting this specimen. If they find out we have cleared the area of them they will hunt us until we give them up."

"And do we?"

"As a last resort. I would rather not pay a vault full of galleons for them from another forager, but if it is necessary to spare our lives we do what we must."

"He he he." There was a wheezy laugh, quiet and eery across the clearing, much to close for Harry's comfort.

"She doesn't need a wand Potter," he told him in a whisper. "And do NOT apparate. You will end up in a cage somewhere in her coven."

"Yes sir."

"Little wizards, come out come out, I'll use your entrails for stew!" She taunted them, ending in a cackle.

"What now?" Harry's voice was barely more than a quiet breath. Before Snape could answer though, a flash of light blinded them and Snape was yelling, "RUN!"

Harry bolted in one direction, diving out of the way of the curse just in time, and Snape in the other.

"I'll give ye chase then me fickle minded foe!" she shouted in a scratchy voice, flying after Harry. Apparently she didn't need a broom for that either, he thought as he leapt over logs and dodged trees, stumbling a few times and catching himself. He aimed a few curses behind himself, blasting apart a tree, and heard her cackle again, but she still followed.

Panting, Harry wished dearly that he knew where Snape was, because he didn't know if he was dead or captured, and he didn't know how to handle a Siren by himself. It seemed as if he had run forever, and he was hopelessly lost. If he couldn't apparate he didn't know how he was going to find his way back to civilization again. He ran through a small bog, the Hag catching up to him since she could float right over it and any other obstacle, and he gained speed again on the other side, feet squishing in his shoes. Branches whipped past his face and tore at his skin and clothes, and then when he thought he had lost her, he bumped into something hard, heard an "oomf" and fell backwards to the ground. He lit the tip of his wand to find another young man, possibly a few years older than himself, sprawled out on the ground before him.

Wand aimed, Harry eyed him closely, and recognized him as a Ravenclaw a few years ahead of him from Hogwarts.

"Harry Potter?" the boy queried.

"You're not a hag? What are you doing here?"

He shook his head. "Stewart, from Ravenclaw. They're chasing me too. I'm collecting these for my apprenticeship to the apothecary on Diagonalley." He held out a handful of the purple flowers, which wilted immediately in the wand light.

They heard a cackle then on both sides of the small clearing they sat in and a voice said gently, "Two young men to entrails feast, come to me my loves, not a master can save you now, no you'll not fly like doves."

"Cast a shield," Harry whispered, "and don't let it down."

Stewart did as he was told, a blue shield materializing around them, big enough for them to stand up in, and then Harry poured his own energy into the shield, doing as much of the work as he could to modulate his magic to match Stewarts since the other apprentice probably didn't know how to.

"What is this?" he asked. "Multiplied shield. Stronger than one wizard's magic alone. Hold steady and I'll pour my magic into it."

Suddenly a flash of red light came straight at them, revealing the location of one Hag, ugly, with scraggly gray hair and a pitted face. The curse fizzled out on the shield and she screeched. Two more blasts came then, one from both sides, and both fizzled, to more sounds of discontent.

"I'm going to let my magic off now," Harry said, "so I can fight back. If you continue to hold the shield it will remain strong."

"Yeah," Stewart said. "Go ahead."

Harry let his wand down and the shield held up to multiple more blasts. It seemed that more Sirens were joining the party now.

There was silence for a few moments, aside from the hags conversing in low tones through the trees, until Stewart said, "Harry?"

"Yeah?" Harry looked over to see Stewart pointing up to the tree canopy, where hundreds of stick figures tied with twine hung from branches, some of them painted red. He tried not to think about them being painted with blood.

"Listen," Harry said suddenly, staring Stewart straight in the eyes. "Don't listen to them, no matter what. We can't apparate either."

"Why?"

"We'll end up enslaved or something like that. They can trick you if you listen to them... if my master is ok he'll help us. We just have to wait. We can send a message somehow if need be."

"Who's you're master?"

"Severus Snape."

"You got Snape? Wow."

"Yeah," Harry said, feeling like rolling his eyes because Stewart seemed a little impressed. "Is your master here?"

"No. He sent me out alone. I gathered these last year and nothing happened."

"Who would have thought it could be exciting," Harry said.

"I did encounter a dragon once, in a cave looking for yalsmouth's fungus."

"What did you do?"

"Ran like hell, what the bloody hell did ye think I did?"

Harry laughed a little then as a beautiful woman, perhaps the most beautiful woman he had ever seen appeared out of the darkness, bathed in a warm light. Silky blond hair fell down her shoulders and back, and the light allowed them to see through a thin silky blue gown that trailed along the moss and dirt.

"Don't listen," Harry said. "Close your eyes, don't listen."

Stewart did as he was told and Harry tried to concentrate on Stewart's face, knowing he couldn't close his eyes in case Stewart caved.

"Are you all right?" the woman asked in a heart melting voice. "Are you hurt? I could take you back to my father's house and he can heal you."

"No thanks," Harry said firmly, eyes on Stewart's face and nowhere else.

"Are you sure? The Sirens are gone. We have food and water, and medical supplies at the house. You can send an owl to whoever is looking for you."

"A cage more like," Harry said, biting his lip hard to keep himself in the here and now. He had the strange urge to get up and follow her to a warm house bathed in light where there was chocolate cake and a warm bed waiting.

"Harry?" Stewart was licking his lips now, and Harry moved a hand to cover his eyes in case he was tempted to open them.

"It's a trick, don't listen. She's an ugly beast who will turn you into a slave. Are you listening Hag?" Harry asked suddenly to the woman. "Leave us be! You'll never take us! I know your powers are diminished in the light, and we'll walk out of here at daybreak!" He had remembered this small bit of information during his run. Binns had told the class of a wizard who had escaped capture by hiding in a tall tree until morning, and then running for his life, never to wander into the woods again.

She screeched suddenly, and Harry covered his ears and clenched his eyes shut trying to drown out the awful noise. One look at Stewart told him to cover the other man's ears however since he was still trying to hold up the shield, and it was starting to falter. It seemed as if the scream lasted forever, and Harry was sure his ears would never be the same again, but then it was over, and when Stewart inhaled a deep breath, Harry knew his ears would be fine.

"Wretched little whelp! A formal education won't save you! It's two day's walk back to Blackpool and you can't apparate in the daytime either so long as our omens hang from the trees! We'll get you one way or the other!"

Harry laughed then. "ACCIO HARRY'S BROOM!" he shouted, pointing his wand out into the dark woods. He knew his Firebolt was fast and hoped it would come to him, even though he was so far away. If they could fly out, all would be well.

She screeched again, this time followed by at least a dozen others, and it was all Harry could do to cover Stewart's ears and not pass out from the head splitting agony that overtook him.

The End.
End Notes:
Eek! I finished the story tonight! Just two more chapters to add and it will be done! I'm so happy! Please comment! And here you thought there would be no excitement in Harry's life. :)
Loss of Controll by JAWorley
Just as dawn broke across the tree canopy, and they saw the woods to be empty aside from themselves, a distant hum met their ears. Harry searched the sky and found his Firebolt sailing towards them.

"Can I let the shield down now?" Stewart asked, tired and obviously drained from the power needed to keep it up for four and a half hours.

"Yeah, do it. And when the broom comes near, get on the back quick just in case they're still hiding near."

When the broom came to hover just outside the shield, they let it down and clambered on, rising slowly because of the weight. When they were finally above the tree line, sun shining orange on the horizon, they moved off, Harry scanning the trees below, hoping not to catch a glimpse of Snape dead. Hopefully he had made it back ok.

"How far? I don't think your broom can hold out the entire distance."

"Just far enough that we know we're out of their territory, so that we can apparate. If we can find a paved road I bet we'll be safe."

They flew for almost an hour before Harry spotted a red car driving down a wooded highway, and he took them down into the forest. They surveyed the area quickly, and when they saw no omens, they apparated, glad to find themselves inside Snape's shop.

"Professor Snape! Are you here?" Harry was panicked because it looked like the shop was still closed. "Professor! Professor!" Harry was just about to move into the storeroom to check when Snape ran in followed by Kinglsey Shacklebolt and Draco Malfoy.

"Potter, are you injured?" Snape hurried over to him and looked him over quickly before turning to Stewart and doing the same. "How did you escape?"

Harry held up the broom. "We made a multiplied shield charm and waited through the night. There were hundreds of omens in the trees above us and we were surrounded by Sirens. They tried to lure us out, but I held my hands over Stewart's ears while they screeched and held the shield up.

"I'm impressed Potter," Kinglsey said in his deep voice, arms crossed. "Not bad for an apothecary."

"Yeah Potter," Draco spat, "surprised you didn't wet yourself."

Kingsley jabbed a finger in Draco's chest and said, "Cool it Malfoy. I'll have you put on probation again if you can't control your temper."

"Yes Master," he said, averting his eyes downward, but not before shooting Harry an amused look.

"I didn't know if you got out ok or not," Harry said to Snape, trying to ignore Draco. "We watched through the trees as we flew. We were going to go to the Ministry next if you weren't here."

"I only just returned. I had to walk out and had just contacted the Auror's office when you arrived."

"Er, is it ok if I go now?" Stewart held up his hand like a student and put it down again quickly, turning red. "I lost my supply of Ignea Horus and I need to report back to Diagonalley."

Harry looked at Snape, and remembered the bag full of the purple flower that still hung on his back. "Can we give him half of what we collected? My bag is full."

"Give him the entire bag. I have a full bag in the back."

Harry handed Stewart the bag to a grateful look, and Snape said, "Tell Devon hello for me."

Stewart nodded, and said, "I will. Thank you," and then he was gone, back to his own shop and master.

Draco kept shooting Harry looks of contempt and amusement as he was forced to take Harry's statement for a report, while Kinglsey spoke to Snape, and after another half hour they were gone.

"Sit down Potter, you look exhausted."

Harry plopped down on the brown couch in the storeroom and stared off into space for a moment, only brought out of it by the surprise of finding his professor plopping into the space next to him. He looked over and said, "I thought maybe you'd died."

Severus snorted. "If only you were so lucky Potter."

Harry gave a short laugh, and said, "Really. They were everywhere. They could have gotten you."

"One followed me into the woods and we sparred. I left her unconscious and placed a disallusionment charm on myself, before hiking for the rest of the night."

"Oh." Harry ran a hand through his hair and caught a glimpse of his reflection in a glass jar across the room. There was dried blood down one side of his face, twigs in his hair, and his shirt was torn in several places.

"Lucky I bumped into Stewart," Harry mused then.

"Why Potter? Or he'd be dead because you weren't there to save him?"

"Actually I was thinking we'd both be dead. And I didn't want to spend the night in the woods alone trying to hold up a shield while they screeched at me."

Severus eyed him appraisingly for a few moments, making Harry uncomfortable, and then said, "I find myself again mistaken."

"About what?"

"You Potter. You are not the spoiled, self-centered brat I believed you to be."

"Yeah, well you saw what my life was like before. How could I be?" His eyes grew wide for a moment as he realized his tired mistake. He hadn't wanted Snape to know he remembered. Severus realized too and looked over at him.

"You told me you did not remember."

"It was easier that way."

"Hm."

They sat that way for another few minutes, quietly thinking, before Snape told Harry to clean his wounds and add a disinfectant, and then go to bed. He was also told he had this and the next day off to recuperate, for which Harry was grateful.

"Glad you're not enslaved," Harry told him as he pushed himself up off the couch. Snape didn't respond and he went up to his apartment, musing that he suddenly didn't hate the man so desperately anymore.

* * *

Five am was early, but Harry needed the two hours for exercising. He didn't like the fact that he had trouble running from the Sirens in the forest, huffing and puffing and light headed. He needed to be fitter, stronger. Jennifer's exercise manual in hand, Harry started rising at five every morning to go for a jog around the neighborhood before there were too many people around. After an hour, he would return to his apartment for push ups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups, jumping jacks, weight lifting, and a number of other exercises outlined in the manual, and then a quick shower before going downstairs to open the shop.

After a week of this, along with studying with Jennifer after she got done with her apprenticeship every evening, Harry felt like he wasn't doing enough. Hermione gave him a spell that would read his books to him in his own voice, and was listening to the Auror books during morning exercises, and his Potion's books after Jennifer left and before bed. But he still needed more exercise.

Snape seemed to have grown some kind of superhuman confidence in him now and had him brewing potions to be sold for at least half of the day. During his new one hour lunch break, Harry was doing sit ups on the storeroom floor, while listening to his Potion's texts, and had found other ways to do little exercises throughout the day. For instance, somehow he had managed to convince Master Snape that he needed a pull-up bar installed in the Storeroom. This way every time he walked through the room he could do one or two pull-ups, grab the ingredients or potions he needed, and leave again. Snape was incredulous.

"You really are taking this seriously, aren't you?"

Harry looked up at the man, standing in the doorway as he did crunches, listening to his texts.

After canceling the read-aloud spell, Harry sat up and said, "Why shouldn't a person learn more than one subject? Muggles do it at University. They learn lots of things at the same time. We do at Hogwarts too."

"The goal of an apprenticeship is to become a master of one particular skill set."

"Yeah, but I mean, Auror's need potion's too, right? Anti-poisons and healing potions, and sometimes even strengthening potions like moon fruit. And they have to go buy it. But what if they could make their own? What happens if they need something and can't get to an apothecary? Helps to know how to search for the ingredients in the woods and brew it yourself in a fix."

"I see you have thought this out."

"I can't help what I want to be. Even as a child before Hogwarts I loved watching the police on TV, making the world a better place. I want to be part of that. Someday I'm going to have kids and I want them to be able to be safe... no Voldemort or other dark wizards. I don't want them to go through what we did at Hogwarts."

Harry stood up, tired of looking up at the man, and wiped the now cold sweat from his forehead.

"Be careful that you do not overstep your bounds Potter."

"Sir?"

"I only mean to warn you because I know how you were at Hogwarts. You are not an auror yet, and they will not take kindly to you trying to play hero if you are ever in the position. It will not bode well for you later if should truly wish to enter the program when you are done here."

"So, if I see somebody who needs help I can't?"

"Not if the aurors are already involved. Understood?"

"Yes sir. I don't go seeking out trouble anyway."

"I have it on good authority that others do not see it as that way. I spoke to Kinglsey and he said the head of the Auror department feels that you are preparing yourself to cause trouble."

"How? I mean, I don't want any trouble. Is that why Jennifer hasn't come over the last few nights to study? They won't let her?"

"It is possible. Keep this in mind."

"Yes sir," Harry said, a little shocked. Snape left him to his thoughts, and he sat down on the couch. It wasn't like he was going to bust in on them and ruin an operation or something. When did he even get out except to run errands for Snape, go running, or get groceries? He had hardly even seen the Weasley's since a few days after the Siren incident.

If only Harry could have known the trouble he'd get himself into in just a few short days time, he could have prepared for the berating he'd receive from Tonks and the other Senior Aurors.

His day had started like any other. A good jog, exercise and study, a shower, and then off to open the shop. Only today Snape wanted him to go to Diagonalley and get something from the apothecary there. Harry was excited to see Stewart and see how he was doing after the whole Siren debacle a couple of weeks ago.

The Apothecary in Diagonalley was full of students picking up supplies for the fast approaching term at Hogwarts, and Stewart was too busy to chat with him. Harry instead found his attention drawn to the redhead who had just come in the front door. His heart skipped a beat, and he realized just how much he had missed Ginny over the summer. He had been so engrossed in his studies that he had forgotten to long after her. She had just spotted him when there was a small explosion outside, making everybody duck and scream.

Harry pulled his wand and wasn't sure what was going on until a man with a scraggly looking beard ran into the apothecary with his wand out and started shouting at people. "Get down or I'll kill yeh!"

Apparently Ginny hadn't moved fast enough because the next second, he had taken her with his arm around her neck and wand pointed at her head.

"No," Harry said calmly, standing up, hand held out in a non-threatening gesture.

The man spun with Ginny to face Harry and shouted, "Get back!"

Harry froze, terror striking his heart at the sight of Ginny's pleading face.

"I'll kill her," he said with conviction. "You just stay back boy and do as I say."

"No," Harry told him. "Take me instead. Do you know who I am?" He lifted his bangs to show his scar and the man's eyes lit up. "She's not worth anything to you. Take me."

"Harry no," she begged, but her captor jammed the wand into her scalp and she whimpered and bit her lip to keep quiet.

"You just gonna let me take you then? No shenanigans?"

"Promise," Harry said. "I'm your ticket out of here."

"Damn straight. Come here boy." He let go of Ginny and pushed her forward and down to the ground. As soon as she was out of the way, Harry was quick with his wand and had a stunning spell aimed at the man's chest. It hit him squarely, knocking him backwards, but not before a jet of flame flew out of his wand and hit the ceiling, erupting in an orange inferno. Just then several Aurors burst in through the front door, wands spewing water to put out the fire. People ran from the shop, leaving the unconscious man, Harry, Ginny, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Tonks, Jennifer, and Draco.

"What the hell was that Potter?" Kingsley asked, enraged. "You could have killed them all!"

"I was just-"

"You were just nothing Harry," Tonks said, still angry but more calm then Kingsley. "You were butting your nose in where it doesn't belong. You have no training, and no right to act the hero."

"I wasn't, I was just-"

"Save it Potter." Kingsley's voice boomed, a finality in it that was not to be overrode.

Ginny went to him then, a sorry look in her eyes and wrapped her arms around him.

"I wasn't going to let them hurt her," Harry said quietly, holding her tight. "He let her go, and when she was out of the way, I stunned him. The fire was my fault, the whole thing was my fault. Blame all of your problems on me if you have to in your report, but the fact is, Ginny is safe, everybody is safe. I didn't know you were in the area, and I didn't mean to overstep the bounds. If I had known you were here things would have turned out different."

Draco snorted then and said, "Yeah right Potter. You were always this way at school, the little hero mongering for glory."

Harry ran a hand through his hair, and Kingsley snorted and cast an angry glance at Jennifer. She looked down at her shoes, shame crossing her eyes, and Harry suddenly felt sorry then that he had dragged her down with him apparently.

"Unless you need us, you have my statement," Harry said quietly, and moved to walk past them and out the door with Ginny. When he got next to Kingsley however, he paused, and said, "All Jennifer and I did was study so that I would be ready to be an auror when I'm done with my apothecary apprenticeship. You can't change who I am. Don't try to change what I want to be." And then he and Ginny were gone.

Before they went back to the Burrow, since Ginny was there to get school supplies alone, being almost 17, Harry took her down an empty side alley and hugged her tight.

"I didn't know what to do. All I knew was I couldn't let them hurt you."

"I know," she said. "They're so mad at you now though."

"Let them be." He ran a hand through her hair.

"You don't care?"

"I do. But I care about your safety beyond my career."

"Harry," she sighed. "I wasn't sure if you loved me. I thought you'd go and find yourself a more sophisticated woman now that you've got your own place and... that Jennifer girl. I was so sure..."

"No," Harry said. "She knows I've got eyes only for you. And it looks now that our studying is at an end anyway."

She giggled then and Harry attributed it to the stress of the situation they'd just escaped. "Remember when we used to talk about marriage?"

He nodded. "The offer still stands."

"I'll take it," she said into his shoulder. "Mum will have a fit that I'm engaged before graduation, but let her be."

"You don't care?" he echoed her.

"Just about you."

Harry grinned then, and knew this was the best day of his life, even if his Auror career was over before it had even begun.

The End.
End Notes:
One more chapter to go! He he, sorry to those of you who had hoped Harry and Jennifer would get together. I had thought about it but had originally planned for Harry and Ginny to end up together. Please review! Thanks!
Facade by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Last chapter! Sorry, but it's a short one!
"Well?" Snape raised a brow when Harry walked in empty handed without the supplies he'd been sent for, and instead his face was a mess from the fire.

"Nope," Harry said, running a hand through his hair, obviously stressed, but there was something else in his expression too.

"Nope what Mr. Potter?"

"Didn't get the ingredients. Got engaged though!" He grinned for a moment and then rubbed soot out of one of his eyes.

"At what cost? Did you burn the alley down?"

"Almost. Someone took Ginny hostage in the Apothecary. I tricked him and stunned him... he sent flames off with his wand and they hit the ceiling. Then Aurors burst in, read me the riot act and I left with Ginny. God," Harry said suddenly. "The Weasley's are going to kill me now... she's not even graduated yet!" He hadn't thought about that.

Snape crossed his arms. "Is she pregnant Potter?"

Harry snorted. "No. Like she'd let me get-" he paused and then after turning red briefly, said, "she's smarter than that you know. We both are. We just, want to be married after she's done with school. But that doesn't mean Mrs. Weasley will let me anywhere near her until she's finished."

"You are probably correct in that assertion. However, that will not be possible."

"What won't be?" Harry frowned.

"You will be at Hogwarts with me for the year."

"But what about the shop? I thought I was to tend it while you were away? Have I done that badly?"

"You have done better than expected." Harry turned around to find Kingsley behind him, arms crossed, sans Draco Malfoy.

"Sir?" Somehow he had come in the door unnoticed... or perhaps he had been cloaked and listening all the time?

"Potter, I'm pleased to inform you that you have been excepted into the Auror apprenticeship program. And congratulations on the engagement." Kingsley smiled, and Harry wondered with a look of shock on his face if this was the same man who had just yelled at him an hour before.

"I don't understand."

Kingsley raised his eyes to Snape, and then said, "When applicant's apply, they are put through a series of tests, to see if they really are fit for the position, mentally, physically, and emotionally. We knew your magical prowess was up to par after the defeat of Voldemort, and that you were physically fit, but your state of mind and maturity still needed to be determined. This test is different for each applicant of course, and for you it included placing you in an undesirable situation with a person you were well known to not get along with. You adapted incredibly fast however, changed your attitude, and showed that you would be able to work with somebody you previously despised. This was important considering that Mr. Malfoy is in the program, as well as the fact that you may frequently encounter other Ministry employees that you don't like. Your maturity level was shown to us when you persevered through a difficult situation, and decided that you would train yourself in every way possible, preparing yourself for your eventual acceptance into the program."

"But the tingling... the mistake. I'm apprenticed to Master Snape," he rambled, confused that his life was suddenly upside down again.

"You were placed under temporary apprenticeship to Severus. Auror apprenticeships change twice before you're done with the program. This way you get to train under multiple Aurors. You will continue to be apprenticed to him for the next year while on assignment. Only this time, you'll be trained as a spy in a way that most other Jr. Aurors will not get the chance to have."

"What assignment will I be on at Hogwarts?"

Here Snape stepped around the counter and said, "After your defeat of Voldemort last year, we received word that there was... another dark wizard trying to come to power, this one a student, much as Voldemort himself was when he first vied for power."

"Do you know what house?"

"We do not, although we are fairly certain it is not Gryffindor or Slytherin, although we are not 100% positive."

"We know the student is male and is in seventh year. You will be posing as Professor Snape's apothecary apprentice, much as you have been. You will help him grade papers, teach classes, and tutor students. This will give you the opportunity to get close to suspects, and relay information back to us via Professor Snape."

"I don't believe this," Harry said. "This morning you were ready to tear my head off, and ten seconds ago I became a Jr. Auror."

"Believe it Mr. Potter. Bring this new... dark lord, to justice, and you will move up as a secondary auror with your peers Mrs. Diggle and Mr. Malfoy."

"Were they in on this?"

"No. Mr. Malfoy is being informed now that you are being inducted as an auror, and is probably throwing a fit as we speak. Mrs. Diggle really did get handed the wrong apprenticeship slip. If she wishes, she can drop out of the program at the end of next year when her apprenticeship to me is up. We were surprised to find that the two of you had made a study pact and that you had taken on extra duties not needed for an apothecary. When Severus informed us of your exercise routine, we knew you were getting close to meeting our standards."

Harry blew a breath up at his hair. "But you knew the whole time sir?" he asked him.

"Not exactly," Severus said. "I was displeased to be tricked, much as you were. The morning that you returned from the Sirens however, Kingsley informed me of the deception and as a member of the Order I agreed to train you as a spy to root out the menace at Hogwarts."

Harry grinned. "I must be dreaming. Am I allowed to tell anybody?"

"The Weasley's and Ms. Granger only, seeing as how they are also members of the Order."

Harry nodded. When Kingsley had left, and Harry had plopped down on the couch in the back, Snape sitting next to him as they had done a few weeks before, Harry grinned, and asked slyly, "Er, I don't suppose you'd let Ron move into the apartment upstairs with me?"

"You will be at Hogwarts."

"Not all the time. I'm still your apprentice aren't I? We could train him in the last few weeks just to run the shop... not to make potions or anything," Harry added quickly. "Then he'd have a job and a place to live. You know how it can be... doesn't want to live at home with Mrs. Weasley by himself while everyone else is away."

Severus sighed and crossed his arms, "The things I do for you Potter."

"Is that a yes?" He waited with baited breath as Snape looked poisonous, as if he were making a big mistake.

"He will be here at five am and stay until seven pm every day until we leave for Hogwarts. If I am to train a new apprentice he will agree to ALL of my terms."

"Yes sir," Harry grinned. "I'll tell him right away."

The End.
End Notes:
THE END

That’s right, you heard me. The END. No more. Finito. Bet this last bit took you by surprise. Did you ever think Harry was really in testing to be an auror? Nope, lol. And yes, I’ll tell you this: Ron takes the job (because Snape will be at Hogwarts), and tends shop happily for the next year until Snape returns. Harry roots out the bad guy at school, and when Ginny graduates, they get married, and Harry does get apprenticed to Tonks. And Draco continues to throw a fit all through training. And Jennifer? She stays in the program until she finishes it and becomes a good Auror.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! I liked adding the twist at the end, and it was planned from the start. While I’d really like to write a sequel to this, I don’t think I will. I’ve got other stories to finish. Check out some of my other works if you haven’t already, and as always, I love to hear reviews! Thanks to everyone who leaves me a note!

Ok, so just because I took so long to finish this story, I’ll recap for you all, our story had: Angry Snape, angry Harry, de-aged cute Harry, understanding Snape, two women in Harry’s life, Blair witch creepy hags, snotty Malfoy, determined Harry, angry aurors, a hostage situation, a twist of events, auror Harry, engaged Harry, and last but not least, the most shocking of all, Ron with a job. I did not originally envision this story having such a variety in it, but it turned out thus. Hope you enjoyed it.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1938