Letting Go by JAWorley
Summary: Harry comes back for his seventh and final year at Hogwarts a changed teenager… moody, disrespectful, and on edge, his friends don’t know what to do for him or what has happened to change him so much. Finally one man decides that enough is enough and somebody has to put their foot down to get Harry back under control… if not for Harry’s own well being, then for the sanity of one irritated Potion’s Master. Will Severus Snape be able to figure out what’s gotten under Harry’s skin, or will Harry push Snape over the edge before he gets that far?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Kidnapped, Kidnapped!Harry, Physical Impairment, Pregnancy
Takes Place: 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: New Life
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 50169 Read: 193916 Published: 07 Nov 2009 Updated: 08 Apr 2010
On Holiday by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
We see Snape's house in this chapter. Here is a map I made myself of what it looks like in this story:

"Snape stopped me this morning."

Harry turned around as Draco grabbed his arm and pulled him aside out of the throng of students. Ginny stopped as well and Harry motioned for her to join them, even at the confused look Draco gave.

"It's ok," he told him when Draco hadn't stopped gawking long enough to continue. "Stopped you for what?"

"About you," Draco said, as if Harry was hopelessly daft. "He wanted to know if I'd tell him anything about you."

"What do you mean... like what?"

"He asked if I knew why you were so upset about... you know." He tried to tell Harry without revealing anything to Ginny.

"It's ok," Harry said. "She knows everything." He had stayed up most of the night filling her in on everything that had gone on with him and Snape up to this point.

"Ugh, fine," Draco said. "He asked if I knew why you were upset with him about something he'd said about stuff in the past mattering."

"He told you about that?" Harry was suddenly shocked and angry that his father was spreading his personal life around.

"No," Draco said, exasperated. "He said it just like I just said it, word for word. But you told me you nit, and so I knew what was going on. I told him in a round about way what I thought was going on, but not that you told me anything. Then he wanted to know if I knew why you got mad at him last night."

"And? I didn't tell you anything about last night."

"No, but he told me what he said, and I told him that you didn't think he had the right to tell you what to do at this point."

"I never said that to you Draco," Harry said, taking his turn at being the exasperated one now.

"No, but it's true isn't it? Remember what I said about if I found out I was a Weasley?"

"What?" Ginny was surprised at the statement. Draco rolled his eyes and ignored her, trusting Harry to fill her in later.

"Well it's not that hard for me to imagine what you're feeling," Draco clarified.

Harry nodded in concession. "Well, I suppose that's ok. That is what happened last night. He thought he could just tell me to do whatever he wanted. I am 17 now."

"I just thought I'd tell you. I have to get to class or Snape will have my hide."

"You have Potions?" Harry asked, thinking that maybe he had forgotten his own schedule, because Gryffindor's and Slytherins always had Potions together.

"Charms," Draco said. "Snape makes all the Professors tell him if any of us are late, and then we're in for it. Later."

Draco disappeared and Harry turned back to Ginny. He had felt on edge when his father had told him that he wasn't allowed to be late or miss any classes anymore, but somehow knowing this was the case for all students he was in charge of, it didn't make him feel singled out anymore.

He kissed Ginny goodbye and ran off to Transfiguration.

* * *

Severus Snape sat uncomfortably in Dumbledore's office in the nicer of the two purple visitor's chairs. The old man sat quietly on the other side of the desk, fingers steepled. He had just informed him of Harry's true parentage.

"Are you sure?" the man asked.

"Quite," Snape said dryly. "I would not joke around about such a thing."

"No, of course not." He went back to his thinking, and Severus grew more agitated every minute that the old man stayed silent. He had just told him that he had a son and that it was Harry bloody Potter himself, and the Headmaster was acting indifferent.

"You didn't know, did you?" Severus asked. The question was almost accusatory in nature, but Severus knew the Headmaster and wouldn't dare put it past him to keep something like this to himself.

"No, I did not. I am surprised that Harry did not come to me with this."

"Well I am his father. It was appropriate that he came to me."

"If I remember right, he was quite distraught..."

"Only because he thought I knew about him and didn't want him."

"And?"

Severus sent an icy glare at the older man. "No, I did not know, and yes, he is my son and I most certainly do want him." He didn't know how to make it any plainer. He had thought he had already made it plain to him before, but apparently, "Harry is my son and I'm taking him home for Christmas," was not clear enough.

Dumbledore sighed. "He is 17 and I can no longer force him to return to the blood wards of four Privet Drive once the term ends. It is of course his own decision, but I should say that it would be more appropriate to set up the blood wards around your home so that he may return to you in time of danger."

He was going to say something, but Severus paused uncertainly instead. "I was unsure whether or not the blood wards would work for me."

"Would you die to protect him?"

Severus nodded. There was no question in his mind. Even before he knew that he was his son, he had made Lily a promise long ago to protect him, even at the cost of his life.

"Then the blood wards would work around you also. I will place them on your home before the Christmas holiday. That is of course assuming that he wishes to go home with you."

"Yes, assuming," Severus said with a sneer. True, Harry was not exactly happy with him at the moment because apparently he had overstepped his bounds as a newfound parent, but what was he supposed to do?

"I would suggest that you return home regardless," the Headmaster was saying, pulling Severus from his reverie. "Harry has spent every Christmas here since his arrival. Knowing now that he has a place to go, I would think that he might change his mind about spending yet another Christmas here alone."

"You're assuming he'll say no in the first place," Severus said as he stood up.

"Ah, am I? Perhaps."

Severus nodded, and bade the old man goodbye. Sometimes he got on his nerves worse than Harry did... worse than he used to anyhow.

* * *

"For Christmas?"

Severus nodded.

"Do I have to?"

Heart dropping a little bit, he replied, "No. If you truly wish to spend Christmas alone, then I will not force the issue," Severus paused, "However, I will be returning home for the holiday regardless. It seems the Headmaster has made it his personal mission to run my life, and has insisted that I do so."

"Hm," Harry pondered that. So he wasn't the only one with somebody trying to run his life.

"I'll think about it," Harry said. He did have a couple weeks left until the start of the break to think about it anyway.

Severus nodded and handed Harry his potion. A diagnostic spell had declared him ulcer free a few days ago, but he was still supposed to take the potion for another couple of weeks, so he swallowed it down, grateful to no longer feel his stomach eating him alive.


In the common room later that evening Harry told Ginny about the invitation. She seemed happy, but Harry didn't understand why.

"This is great Harry," she said. "I wanted to spend Christmas with you but mum insisted that Ron and I go home, and she already asked and the Headmaster said you weren't allowed to come with us, same as last year."

"So, I always spend Christmas here," Harry said, thinking that it wouldn't be Christmas if he couldn't spend it there in the tower. There were always some Gryffindors that stayed behind.

"No, but maybe this is your chance to straighten things out with him. You can't get closer to him if you don't spend any time with him."

"What do you think he'll do if I say no?"

"Well, I hardly think he'll force you to go with him. Didn't you say that's what he told you anyway?"

"Yeah, but he seems intent on telling me what to do."

Ginny smiled and gripped his hand. "Welcome to my world. Mum's always bossing us about. Usually it's dad who lets us get away with everything." Harry smiled. He loved the Burrow and wished he could go with Ginny for Christmas.

"I think it would be strange to spend the holiday with him. I don't even know where he lives. Draco said his father told him he lives in a run down old house. I don't want to spend the break doing chores for him."

Ginny tilted her head and gave him an expression that plainly said, ‘Really Harry? Do you honestly think he'd do that to you?' Harry laughed at the look.

"He hasn't made you do anymore detentions or cleaning has he?"

"No," Harry was shaking his head. She was right of course. Damned if she wasn't always right, but he loved her for how sensible she always was.

"I guess I'll think about it," Harry said, and Ginny kissed him on the cheek, garnering a dark look from Ron and a pleased look from Hermione from across the common room. She lead him off to play a game of ‘Quidditch Madness' a new game that had appeared in the common room that turned out to be just like real Quidditch, only with miniature little players that flew around the common room. Harry couldn't really get into the game though, because his mind kept drifting back down to the dungeons.

* * *

Severus Snape paced his office. It had been a week and a half, and Harry's name had still not appeared on the list of students that were going home. Harry hadn't said anything about it either when he had come down to the office to get the potion, and Severus was afraid to push the issue. He did want Harry to come home with him for Christmas, and was afraid that he'd reject him outright by saying no. This was not the first time the thought had crossed his mind that perhaps Harry was just too old to want a father anymore. Perhaps he had missed his opportunity, and the fact that he'd been the snarky dungeon bat that Harry hated for seven years wasn't helping him at all.

Finally feeling that he ought to sit down before he wore a hole in the floor, Severus sat in one of the visitors chairs and put his head in one hand. Quietly he thought to himself, ‘Why did you have to run off with that blasted arrogant Potter Lily? He was my son, not his, and now you've ruined things for the both of us.' He scolded himself mentally. He would have never talked to her like that in real life, and didn't think it appropriate that he talk to her like that when she was in the afterlife either. He didn't want to be angry with a dead woman, let alone his dead fiancé. But he had to do something, because he felt like he was going mad. He didn't like being rejected and had protected himself from it since Lily had left him, but now here he had a son, and wasn't able to protect himself from said rejection.

Damn his heart for tearing itself to shreds over anything to do with Lily... including Harry. If he wasn't so weak he wouldn't have opened up to the idea of having an son with Lily so fast and wouldn't be in this predicament now. He was supposed to leave Hogwarts for the break tomorrow evening, and it was going to be a miserable Christmas at that if he was going to be sitting there by himself wallowing... STOP! He tried to shake himself mentally. What was wrong with him? You're Severus sodding Snape for crying out loud! This isn't you! You don't wallow!

Severus stood and pulled out a bottle of fire whisky. Not bothering to pour it into a glass he took a swig and replaced the cork. Time for bed, he decided. It was already bad enough that he'd allowed himself to wallow, even if nobody else had seen, but he dare not let any of his students or any of the staff see him drunk.

Making his way to his quarters quickly, Severus lay down on his bed and suddenly felt very alone in the empty space. He sighed and stared at the ceiling, willing himself to just fall unconscious right there, but it didn't happen. Even with the whisky, it wasn't until sometime in the early morning that he drifted off into a fitful sleep in which dreams of Harry pointing and laughing at him taunted him until he woke.

* * *

Harry watched all day as people packed their things. He was trying not to let himself regret not getting his name down on that list in time, but he wasn't winning the private internal struggle. It seemed this year that the whole house would be empty. He had asked McGonagall that morning and had been told that every other student in the house would be leaving except him and one other boy, the second year American exchange student, who's family was coming to pick him up personally in a few days. Harry hadn't spoken to the boy yet all term, mainly because of his own mood, but had bumped into his older brother in Ravenclaw. They had been the reason they had celebrated Thanksgiving earlier in the term, although Harry couldn't deny that he had enjoyed the feast.

Ginny touched his hand lightly and pulled Harry from his reverie. He was sitting on a windowsill high in the tower looking out the window at the snow drifting down over the grounds.

"Hi," he said, looking down at her.

"Hey. Are you sure you don't want to go home?"

"Well, it's not really home. I've never even seen it."

She gave him a light frown. "You know what I mean. He obviously wants you there. I've seen him sulking."

"Really?" Harry looked up. Apart from his own private meetings with the man he'd never seen him show any emotions at all.

"Well, he didn't think I saw but I had to go back to class for something that I left and he definitely seemed off."

"Oh."

Harry sighed and Ginny climbed up onto the large window sill with him where she sat in his arms for the rest of the afternoon. Soon it was time for those returning home to depart on the train however, and Harry had to let go of her. He walked down to the station in Hogsmead with her and the others as the sun started to set and wished he was going to climb on the train with her. He wondered what they'd do to him if he did climb on board and just disappeared for two weeks.

Hermione gave him a hug and a sad look, and Ron fidgeted as Ginny said her goodbyes but didn't look up at Harry or say anything to him at all.

"I'll see you when I get back, and I'll write everyday," Ginny said, giving him a gentle kiss on the lips.

Harry got shivers from the kiss, but was warm all over at the same time. God he loved her for how she could do that to him.

"I'll be here," he said.

She smiled but he didn't fail to notice the sadness in her eyes as she let go of his hand and boarded the train with Ron and Hermione. Harry watched the train get a slow start out of the station and then disappear around the bend.

It was a long, lonely walk back up to the castle through the two feet of snow, and by the time Harry got back he was definitely in a mood. This was going to be the worst Christmas ever, including the one where Dudley made Harry climb up the chimney so that he could pretend that Harry was Santa Clause, and Harry got stuck. Uncle Vernon had left him up there all day before he had called the fire department to get him out.

Hands in his pockets and head down Harry made his way into the castle. He was on the third floor before he decided that he didn't want another rotten Christmas to add to his memories. Hurriedly Harry ran back down to the second floor and to McGonagall's office. She wasn't there. Unsure of where else to look, he ran to the staff lounge, and then the Transfiguration classroom, where he found her grading the last of a large stack of papers.

"Mr. Potter?" she asked. Harry was out of breath.

"I want to put my name on that list of people going home," Harry said. He'd never put his name on this list before, and now he was determined to have it on there at least once before he left Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry but I'm afraid the train has already left."

"I know," Harry said, "I watched it go."

"And how do you intend on getting home then?"

Harry fidgeted. He wasn't sure if she knew about him and Snape yet or not. "My er... my family's going to take me," he said, deciding that he didn't want to surprise her just now with the news and have to waste precious time explaining it to her.

"This is already arranged?"

Harry nodded.

"Very well then, I will put your name on the list." She waved her wand and a long roll of parchment appeared from thin air. Harry wanted to watch her but didn't want to miss Snape, so he shouted a hurried thanks, and ran off to pack, leaving her bewildered.

Harry stuffed his money sack and a couple shirts and pairs of pants into his backpack hurriedly. He was in such a frenzy that he almost forgot socks and underwear. Not having a thick coat to wear anyway, Harry settled for his thin sweat jacket and tore out of his room and down the stairs. The portrait of the Fat Lady shouted something about rudeness at his back as he tore out the portrait hole and down the hall.

By the time he reached the dungeons he was close to wheezing. He wasn't a runner, that was for sure.

Snape wasn't anywhere in sight, and while he hadn't checked his office or quarters yet he feared that he was already too late.

Deciding to try his office first because that's where he usually found him, Harry rounded a corner and came upon his father wearing his traveling cloak, and just stepping out of his office and locking the door. He hadn't noticed Harry standing there yet and Harry dropped his bag on the floor and stood quietly.

When Severus turned and looked up, Harry found a surprised look on his face.

"You- have decided to come with me?"

Harry picked up his bag and nodded once without a word. Severus nodded as well.

"Come to my quarters then. We will take the floo." Harry didn't understand it, but there was no denying the look of relief that flashed in his father's eyes, if even only for the briefest moment.

Harry followed his father down the halls to his quarters, and waited patiently as his father unlocked the door and lead him inside. He couldn't help his stomach from squirming. He wondered if he was doing the right thing, and just how awkward the whole thing would turn out to be by the end. But as he stepped into his father's quarters and over to the fireplace to floo to his unknown destination, Harry had some sense that this was better than the alternative, which was either spending Christmas alone or spending it with the Dursley's stuck up the chimney all day.

"I will be a moment," Severus told him and disappeared into another room. As Harry waited he took the time to survey the man's quarters again. There was a long, comfortable looking black leather couch along with the two chairs he and Snape had occupied the last time he'd been there. There were pictures of mountains and forests on the walls, and... a fishing pole? Yes, there was an old fishing pole on two hooks on the wall above the fireplace. Harry had been fishing once during a school trip in the first grade, but Dudley had pushed him into the water before he got to cast his line in even once, and his teacher had made him sit on the bus for ‘playing in the water' for the rest of the day.

Suddenly Snape was beside him and he was startled out of his reverie. "Here," his father said, handing him a canister of floo powder.

Harry took a handful and asked, "Where are we going?"

"Snape Residence. I will step through first so that you can look for me on the other side and get out at the right grate."

Harry nodded and moved aside to let him pass. Severus had no luggage with him and Harry wondered if he had already taken his things home. Inside the grate Severus shouted, "Snape Residence," and disappeared in a whirlwind of flames. Harry waited a few moments and then followed suite.

He hated traveling by floo, but didn't know how to apparate yet so this was the next best thing. "Snape Residence," Harry shouted, and suddenly he was spinning and trying not to barf as images of hundreds of living rooms flew past him. But it wasn't too long before he saw his father standing there and he stepped out, nearly falling flat on his face.

Coughing because he had inhaled some of the ash, Harry stood up straight and looked around. He was in a large rectangular living room with bookshelves on all four walls. There were two large comfortable brown couches in the middle and a door on the far wall. It certainly wasn't a shack, Harry thought to himself, and he'd have to tell Draco that later.

He turned to see Severus watching him and wondered what he was supposed to say. "It's nice," Harry said. It was the truth. He'd take this over aunt Petunia's floral couch and nasty rose wallpaper any day.

"It is the house your mother and I bought just prior to her... departure."

"Oh..." Harry shifted feet and Severus cleared his throat.

"I'll show you to your room."

Harry followed him out of the living room and into the hallway. Severus showed him the door to the dining room before they passed another shorter hallway that led to the kitchen and Snape's Potion Lab. At the end of the hall there were two doors. The one on the right, he was told was his father's bedroom, and the one at the end was his own.

Severus opened the door and moved aside to allow Harry entrance. The room was pretty sparse with the exception of a bed, a large wardrobe, a desk and chair, and a large window. Harry moved to the window to see what the rest of the property looked like, but it was too dark outside to see anything. For all Harry knew they could be in the middle of the city, or out in the mountains, or near the ocean. He couldn't tell.

"Where are we?" He turned and asked as he set his bag on his bed.

"In the mountains of Gildwyen. Ilwyn Lake is on the North East corner of the property. You may explore it tomorrow."

Severus turned to leave but suddenly not wanting to be alone in this foreign place, Harry asked, "Where's Gildwyen?"

Motioning for him to follow, Severus left the room. He took Harry down the smaller hallway to the left and into the kitchen where he asked if Harry was hungry. Harry nodded and Severus told him that he was allowed any food in the house. Harry moved to the fridge and pulled out the supplies to make a sandwich.

"Gildwyen mountains are not far from Hogwarts. There are relatively few who live this far out. Our nearest neighbor is ten miles over the mountain pass. These mountains were once considered by the Hogwart's founders as a potential place to build the school, but it was inaccessible to students and parents at the time however so they chose to build at a lower elevation.

"I've never heard of these mountains."

"They are not on Muggle maps. A tribe of elves used to live here but have long since abandoned the mountains for more favorable locations."

"You mean like house elves?"

Severus chuckled. "No. Regular elves. Have you learned nothing in History of Magic?"

Harry shrugged. "We just try not to fall asleep."

Crossing his arms as Harry took a bite of his ham sandwich, Severus said, "Regular elves look like you and me, but have more feminine characteristics... they are generally tall and lean and more often than not they are blond. I believe the Malfoy's have some elvery in their ancestry.

"Really?"

Severus nodded.

"Do we?"

"No."

"Oh... that's too bad. Did you know Draco and I are sixth cousins? I'm cousins with an elf."

"And how did you come across this information?"

"Draco told me. Suddenly he remembered his conversation with Draco and was reminded that he hadn't bought any Christmas presents yet.

"Can we go to Diagonalley before Christmas?"

"Why?"

"I need to buy presents."

"I was not under the impression that you had money to spend." He eyed Harry's sneakers which currently had a big hole in the side of the left one.

Harry grumbled. "That's what Draco said. I have money in my vault, but nobody ever gives me a chance to buy clothes when we go."

Severus thought on it for a moment. "Very well. We will go the day after tomorrow, but we will need to take precautions."

"Like what?"

"You and I cannot be seen together, and it is unsafe for you to be seen in public at all. I will brew a temporary look normality potion so that nobody will recognize us."

Harry had the urge to say ‘Sweet!' but resisted and settled for a smile. He hated being noticed in public. People always stared at his forehead.

After he finished his sandwich Harry was about to leave the kitchen to go unpack his things, but he stopped in the doorway and asked, "Have you been here recently?"

"Not since the start of term."

"Then how come there was fresh food in the fridge?"

Severus motioned for Harry to go back to the fridge and held up a sheet of paper attached to the side with a pen hanging from a piece of yarn.

Harry looked at the paper and found a faded list of the things in the fridge, which wasn't much, but had been enough for a sandwich and an glass of milk.

"I have an open account with a grocer in Hogsmead. Whenever I enter the house with the intention of staying, a replenish charm on the fridge orders whatever is on this list."

"So you can get whatever food you want?"

Severus nodded. "Within reason. The grocer will attempt to find whatever is on the list that is not in the fridge and deliver it within the hour."

"Hm..."

"Was there something else you wanted?"

Harry shook his head. "Nope, that just explains how Mrs. Weasley always has food but never goes to the store though."

"Indeed."

Harry thanked him and went back to his room. Suddenly he wished he had been able to drag his entire trunk along with him. He had some old posters that Ron had given him that he hadn't hung up in their dorms yet that year. At least the room wasn't painted green, he thought with amusement.

After a while Severus appeared in his doorway and bade him goodnight.

"The grounds are large, and there is an undetectable protection charm on them. If you leave the boundaries of the charm you will not be able to find your way back without the password. I suggest you stay within the house for now, and ask before you leave." There, that didn't sound to much like he was bossing him around, did it?

Harry seemed satisfied with these terms however, and nodded. "Ok."

"The Headmaster has placed the blood wards on this home as well as four Privet Drive. From now on you will no longer have to return to your relatives to remain safe."

"You told Dumbledore?"

"It was in our best interest that you did not just turn up missing for the holiday."

"Oh. What did he say?"

Wondering that Harry cared so much what the old man thought, Severus said, "Not very much. I will see you in the morning. Good night." He left and closed Harry's door on his way out.

Alone in his new room, Harry lay back on his bed, wishing he had brought some pajamas. For now he would have to settle for a t-shirt and jeans. He lay back on his bed on top of the covers and sighed. Yes, this was definitely better than the Dursleys.

The End.
End Notes:
I’ve made an animated map of Snape’s house for you to see how it is in this story. Go here to see it: http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/JATom2/Snape-Manor.gif

My goodness… I’m barely halfway through this story and I’ve already got the sequel planned out! Thanks!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1979