Playing Pretend by watercrystals
Summary: During their third year, Harry and Draco take their rivalry too far while in the Room of Requirement. As a result, a magical accident transports them to a make-believe world where they had grown up from toddlers and their caring father is...Severus Snape.
Desperate to get back to their own world, the boys try to get along and play the part, but to Snape nothing has changed. And what happens when they return to their rightful time and place?
Their illusionary adventure will have them realize the man that is capable of being family and cause them to form the friendship they hadn't thought possible to obtain.
Playing pretend is the one that starts it all: it's part 1 of 4 in the “Shifted Reality” series that will eventually have two boys and one man learning to be a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fantasy, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 24442 Read: 36587 Published: 21 Feb 2010 Updated: 18 Nov 2010
Snape But...Different by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my reviewers! Have also fixed up the mild errors in the previous chapter.

"Draco?" Snape asked while looking at the boy. "Harry?" He glanced at the other but slowly his eyes narrowed to the wands in their hands and the sweating, flushed faces.

"I recall insisting that each of you are to refrain from dueling without my supervision?" He scowled at them, now ignoring how their mouths hung open slightly and that they were yet to speak.

"As punishment...for now, I expect each of you in the kitchen to prepare lunch" Snape told them. "Now!"

"Y-yes, sir" Draco gulped out and Harry nodded, his eyes still wide. Unsure what else to do, the boys turned and strode across the room, trying not to appear too oblivious to the location of the kitchen. Noticing Dobby leading the way, the boys followed after the elf and sure enough...there stood the grand but otherwise average kitchen.

"What did you do, Potter?" Draco muttered under his breath and crossed his arms.

"Me?" Harry glared back. "I didn't do anything! What did you do?"

"I don't hear obedience!" Snape called from the other room.

Deciding to prepare the said lunch, Harry started opening cupboards and looking around. Draco was obviously not going to help as he leaned against the counter with his arms remaining crossed in annoyance.

"What's with Professor Snape?" Draco continued quietly. "He wasn't around when you did this."

"I didn't do it!" Harry said again. "You ran in there, how do I know this wasn't your plan all along, Malfoy?" He blamed angrily while making basic sandwiches.

"Why would I plan for this?" Draco scowled. "I am not enjoying this, Potter. Whatever you did, put it back!"

"I. Didn't. Do. It!" Harry said slowly through clenched teeth.

"Does Harry Potter need help?" The elf asked, reminding them that he was there. "Dobby would be honored to help Harry Potter with anything Harry Potter needs."

"Yeah, thanks" Harry nodded although Dobby ended up doing most of the work "And what about the pictures? How do you explain them?" He glanced at Draco.

"I dunno" Draco shrugged. "Some weren't moving and had colour; that's weird enough."

"Those were muggle pictures" Harry told him but Draco didn't look too surprised.

"Who does this house-elf belong to? Snape spoke from the doorway. His words caused both boys to turn and stare at him, eyes wide again and for some unknown reason they felt guilty as though caught in the act of misbehaviour.

"My friend" Harry jumped in quickly, being defensive of the elf in case Snape tells him to leave, which would be worst considering that the house-elf knew what had happened (sort of) and was his only company besides Draco.

Harry had expected to be yelled at by Snape, although he had no idea of the situation that they were in. However the man instead looked quite amused with his words and didn't show any hints of not believing him.

"Sandwiches again?" Snape raised an eyebrow. "I am at least assured that there is no peanut butter involved. Draco, I expect you to assist" He added and turned to enter the nearby dining room.

Draco growled lightly but didn't dare object, instead he moved and shoved Dobby aside, causing the elf to yelp in surprise.

"Leave him alone" Harry frowned again.

"He is a servant Potter, I do as I please" Draco drawled while retrieving some plates from a cupboard; he looked quite reluctant and purposefully delaying as he did so.

"He doesn't belong to your family anymore" Harry reminded him but Draco merely shrugged and shoved Dobby again when he passed.

"Draco" Harry gritted his teeth, well aware that Snape was in the next room, but wasn't sure if he could stop himself from attacking his enemy for hurting or otherwise being horribly rude to Dobby.

Although the boys continued to argue, they weren't aware that Snape could hear from from the dining room and wondered what was going on. A minute later and he got to his feet at the sound of fighting.

"Enough!" He called over their bickering and the constant shoving ceased the moment he spoke while moving into view. "What is the meaning of this?" He demanded to know.

"I have not witnessed such childish quarreling amongst yourselves in many weeks" Snape said. The boys could only look at each other in further surprise while Dobby continued with preparing lunch behind their backs.

"Did something occur whilst I was away?" Snape continued, eying each boy with obvious curiosity and confusion.

"No" Harry said, feeling he had to say something but wasn't sure if it was safe to mention what had happened. "I mean, Draco was being a git...although it's not like you'd believe me" He muttered darkly and lowered his gaze.

"Oh, so this is my fault?" Draco scowled, having heard him. "Sir, he started it!" He added to Snape.

"I told you! I didn't do anything!" Harry snapped in frustration.

"What, you think I want this?" Draco added, now oblivious to their shocked onlooker. "Fix it!"

"I didn't do it!" Harry's tone was louder and Draco's soon increased as well. Snape knew fists or wands would be involved again so he quickly intervened.

"Enough of this childish behaviour!" He said loudly and they paused, remembering his presence. "We shall discuss this at a later time. I will announce lunch when it is prepared, but for now each of you are expected to be in your rooms!" He snapped and they mumbled a “yes sir” before leaving.

"I don't understand" Harry said, losing his anger quicker than Draco did although they weren't entirely sure why they felt such levels of frustration; perhaps it was an after-effect of their fighting before this bizarre occurrence happened?

"We have rooms here and obviously that means we live here...with Snape?" His face contorted with disbelief and disgust.

"Don't be stupid, Potter" Draco spat. "Of course not."

"You saw the pictures!" Harry insisted while they paused at the top of the stairs, unsure where their said rooms were located within the house although they also didn't know where they were in the world.

"It has to be a trick" Draco frowned but there was no denying it. "There was an explosion of some sort" He remembered. "Think that's what caused...this?"

Harry merely shrugged in response. "Where do you think our rooms are? Maybe there will be some sort of clue in them as to where we are and what's going on?"

"How should I know?" Draco grumbled. "Look for the green and red ones. Thank Merlin we're still in the same houses."

"No kidding" Harry sighed and began opening random doors. Another floor upwards and they found them only they weren't as differently decorated as they'd expected. Although they were horrified to realize each room was directly across the other; luckily they each had their own bathroom though.

Harry's room was mostly decorated with pictures and drawings while Draco's consisted of numerous Quidditch posters (everything in his room was magical and moving apart from a desk lamp and overhead light, whereas Harry had a few muggle items as well as a CD player and alarm clock). They each had a large single bed, wardrobe, a chest of drawers, work desk with a chair on wheels and a large window showing lush green lawn. Everything was placed in different positions, but otherwise they were basically the same in furniture and large space. Harry did have more red and gold than anything, but there were hints of green and blue at various places as well. Draco's consisted of a lot of green a silver, but he too had various other colours here and there, although not quite as much as Harry did.

The main different between the rooms were the items scattered around and the fact that while Harry's was considerably tidy, Draco's was rather messy. They each had their brooms (Nimbus 2000 for Harry and Nimbus 2001 for Draco, just like in their real world), trunks and an owl cage...but than there were more books on Harry's desk while Draco's had a collection of odd items and a camera. There were just simple things that made their rooms so different and yet...lived in.

"Wow" Harry raised his eyebrows. "It's like we have been living here our whole lives."

"That isn't possible" Draco frowned, eying his broom and than the muggle lamp on his desk, crinkling his nose at it.

"I know!" Harry sighed loudly. "I was just saying how it looks."

"Whatever" Draco dismissed and entered his room, shutting the door behind himself. Harry soon did the same inside his own bedroom.

While Draco examined everything and continued to work out what was going on, Harry just sat on the edge of his bed and smiled lightly at his room. He'd never had a bedroom like this before, in fact he hadn't even had a bedroom until the previous year in which the Dursleys had reluctantly given him Dudley's second bedroom and even that was barely much. Better than the cupboard under the stairs though, that's for sure.

This room was...his. In the sense that even though he'd never seen it before, it's exactly how he would want his room if he had one and if he had grown up with one from the beginning. And yet here...he had, only of course he hadn't...it was very confusing.

"Draco! Harry!" Snape's unmistakable voice echoed from the stairs as he called them, causing each boy to jump. "Lunch is prepared" He added and walked back downstairs where Dobby was hovering the plates of sandwiches and glasses of water to the large table with three chairs (one at the end and one each on the sides).

Nearly bumping into each other as they leave their rooms, the boys decided to act as normal as they can until they can figure out what is going on, where they are and...how to get back.

"I'll be shocked if you even have table manners, Potter" Draco teased as they made their way down the stairs.

"Shut up, Malfoy" Harry frowned in annoyance.

"Thank you, Dobby" Snape was saying as they entered the dining room and sat opposite each other but both felt a little strange to be seated so closely to Snape. Although he wasn't acting like the Snape they knew. "Although it wasn't necessary."

"Dobby does not mind" The elf said happily. "Dobby liked to help sirs" He added and than made his way back into the kitchen, presumably to clean up.

"And, might I ask, what my sons have been destroying in my absence?" Snape asked casually, but both boys halted their eating and slowly turned to stare at him. Draco recovered more quickly but Harry was still repeating that mild joke over in his mind.

"Nothing, really" Draco shrugged and Harry reached for his water to avoid talking.

Snape cast each of them a strange look before speaking again. "And exactly what is going on that has each of you in such a state?" He questioned.

The boys look at each other and aren't sure what to say. They are once again surprised when Snape takes it as a hint of something more personal and brushes it aside, continuing with his strange casualness that each of the boys aren't used to.

"I expect you both recall that I have permitted assistance involving certain, required harvesting?" He mentioned as they returned to eating, nodding as though they understood what he was talking about.

"I expect each of you to be outside when we are finished here" Snape added.

"Do we have to?" Draco complained, understanding that it implied gardening while Harry merely sniggered at his reaction.

"I was under the impression you wished to assist me?" Snape raised a suspicious eyebrow at them.

"Erm, he's just in a weird mood today" Harry said while Draco looked as though he was actually in pain. "We'll help, surely it can't be too hard?" He cast a sly glance at his rival.

---

So far all they knew was that somehow they'd landed themselves in Snape's household and a life in which (from what they have discovered), the once-sour man had raised them as his sons. Surely it was much more complicated than that, but it was all they understood so far, to an extent.

They wanted to go back because while Draco was wondering how they were going to keep up their act, Harry was getting more curious by the moment. And that was certainly not a good sign.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review to let me know whatcha think. Am already quite ahead in writing so shall be updating rather soon.
-Mel


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2086