Playing Pretend by watercrystals
Summary: During their third year, Harry and Draco take their rivalry too far while in the Room of Requirement. As a result, a magical accident transports them to a make-believe world where they had grown up from toddlers and their caring father is...Severus Snape.
Desperate to get back to their own world, the boys try to get along and play the part, but to Snape nothing has changed. And what happens when they return to their rightful time and place?
Their illusionary adventure will have them realize the man that is capable of being family and cause them to form the friendship they hadn't thought possible to obtain.
Playing pretend is the one that starts it all: it's part 1 of 4 in the “Shifted Reality” series that will eventually have two boys and one man learning to be a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fantasy, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 24442 Read: 36582 Published: 21 Feb 2010 Updated: 18 Nov 2010
Only Half by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Finally got this back from my wonderful beta ForgottenElipses, RL got in the way. Enjoy!

The rest of the day had passed mostly without interest; Draco and Harry tried to formulate their “truce” once again when they agreed that all their arguing was not helping their situation at all and they were still had yet to figure out how they got there. And how to get back.

Since he hadn't stayed up late the night before, Harry awoke early the following morning – through the habit that had he'd been ingrained with by the Dursleys. He sighed and climbed out of bed to pull on a pair of average slacks and a blue shirt He ignored his hair and brushed his teeth before he made his way downstairs. He didn't fail to notice the firmly shut door of Draco's bedroom, and didn't even consider waking the blonde.

Along the way, Harry noticed a small hint of unnatural light streaming along the corridor he'd seen Snape vanish to the previous day. After traversing several flights of stairs and while during which he wondered how the light had traveled that far, Harry paused outside a partially ajar door just as the light moved. He peered carefully at what Snape was doing; he would not be able to satisfy his curiosity as to what the man did at this hour, without having a look first. But the sight that met Harry when he gazed cautiously into the room suddenly changed everything for the raven-haired boy.

Snape sat at his desk in his usual attire (minus the robes), and was using the desk lamp to see inside several drawers. He switched it off and then just sat there in his chair while he remained oblivious to Harry's curious watching. The man looked downright...miserable, Harry realized in surprise as he continued to observe.

Snape sighed and flipped through some pictures while he ignored the few that slipped from his grasp and fell onto the floor. Harry looked at the ones on the floor and felt something a sharp pang inside him as they were photos of himself and Draco when they'd been younger in this world. The one on top was of them sitting on the grass at the age of six; each grinned at the camera whilst having their arms around each other's shoulders.

Harry heard a sound and quickly hid. After a moment of caution, he retreated back downstairs with the new thoughts and conflicted emotions that rushed through his mind.
Of course, this waisn't the life he and Draco knew...but yet even if it wasn't entirely real (as Dobby had suggested) to them, it was still somewhat real to Snape; they were his sons.
Harry paused and glanced over towards the family portrait that still hung importantlyprominently on the living room wall. That was the first time in which he'd really taken in that image. He and saw how happy they were, and suddenly Harry caught the glimpse of the loving family they were meant to be.

Surprised that it had never occurred to him before (most likely it was his rivalry with Draco that blinded himit), Harry decided to take advantage of the situation while he could. He was suddenly filled with the desire to make this Snape happy since the man was nothing alike the Potions Master he knew. The Snape here was actually nice to him. Harry nodded to himself, pleased with that choice and turned turned quickly into the kitchen in order to make breakfast.


'You is to wake up now, Draco Malfoy sir.' Dobby said loudly and pulled Draco from his would-be-peaceful slumber.

Draco rolled over and cast the elf a threatening glare but was surprised by at the smirk upon Dobby's dirty face and the firmness in his crossed arms.

'Harry Potter sir has given Dobby permission to use cold water if Dobby needs to, sir.' He added and Draco just growled louder; he knew that both Dobby and Harry would carry through with such a threat if he didn't get up right away.

Draco climbed out of bed and muttered under his breath about elves and Potters while he grabbed a random green shirt and a pair of dark pants. After he pulled a light jumper over his head, Draco brushed his hair, attached his wand to the holster and made his way downstairs where a delicious scent filled his nostrils and...Harry was the one at the stove.

'Morning.' Harry said to him casually, although it still sounded rather forced.

'Hardly.' Draco rolled his eyes and did not exchange a further greeting. Instead he sneered at the breakfast Harry was cooking and shook his head.

'Suck up.' He snorted, but made his way to the table and sat down in his usual seat in the ajoint dining room that faced the kitchen where Harry was finishing the eggs beside Dobby, who was gathering plates and glasses.

'Dobby, could you please wake Snape?' Harry asked the elf, who bowed and popped out of the room in obedient response.

Harry knew Snape was actually already awake, but decided to act as though he'd never seen the man earlier, even though the memory played across his mind the entire time.

Snape made his way into the room shortly thereafter, this time he wore the robes the boys knew so well and his expression was plain. He glanced at Harry in surprise while as he sat down at the table and moved some black hair from his face.

'And what do we owe this surprise?' Snape inquired. He looked rather confused and yet equally amused with Harry as he and Dobby placed plates on the table as well as glasses of freshly-squeezed orange juice.

'A lot, I'm sure.' Draco murmured under his breath, since he presumed that Harry was expecting something grand in return for his act of servitude. Although Lluckily, Snape didn't appear to have heard him.

'Nothing.' Harry offered the man a smile. He tried desperately and with fierce determination to disconnect this nicer, more caring man with the mean teacher he knew. Even if it was just for the duration of their stay, Harry forced himself to think that this Snape was his father.

'Hm, not bad Potter.' Draco said when Harry sat down and the blonde tasted the bacon and eggs alongside the tomato. He was clearly shocked that Harry could cook really well, even as he expertly hid it from Snape.

'Thanks.' Harry smiled briefly and wondered if there was a hidden insult within his words; because he couldn't remember if Draco had ever complimented him before.

Snape cast Draco an odd look upon hearing him call the other boy by his last old last name, something the blonde appeared to notice this time.

'Er, Harry,' Draco corrected when he'd seen the look. 'Guess we should stop teasing each other, I already lost the bet.' He covered quickly with a believable lie and Snape shrugged it off as he turned back towards Harry.

'Really, what inspired this?' Snape wondered although he appeared to be much more content than they'd seen him since they had arrived.

'I, uh...' Harry sighed and prepared himself to act as warmly as he possibly could manage towards the man, even if he already felt utterly embarrassed, stupid and awkward about the entire situation. The worst that could happen is that Draco will laugh at you, Harry told himself. Yes, not too bad...until they returned to their world. Oh well, he can could chalk it up to “playing along” with this place. Something he knew Draco wasn't really putting efforts into.

'I just...think you're a good father.' Harry said and blushed, but a gagging sound reached their ears and the pair turned to look at Draco. The blonde grasped blindly for his juice before he could turn blue, having choked in reaction to Harry's unexpected words.

'I'm...fine.' He gasped out. Draco ducked his head in his own embarrassment and also in attempt to conceal his shock.

'Thank you, Harry.' Snape smiled at his son. 'I appreciate it.'

'No problem...D-Dad.' Harry sighed and relaxed his tense posture.

'Excuse me.' Draco said and stood abruptly. He made his way into the kitchen to compose himself while also pouring himself a glass of water. He wasn't sure if he should laugh, cry, or just gag some more.

Harry, feeling more confident and at ease with Draco out of the way, turned to Snape again and reminded himself of the difference in this man compared to the one he knew.

'And I'm also awfully sorry for ruining your garden. I didn't mean to and really this fighting with Draco is...erm, childish?' He tried to think of what Snape would call it. 'But we're really lucky to have you and we know you care about us a lot.' Harry added and blushed again.

'You're welcome, although I consider myself the fortunate one.' Snape placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, surprising the boy with how...warm, he was. Not by gesture, but Harry thought the mean dungeon bat would be as cold as the vampire he was described to be. His hands were warm, soft and...gentle? Surely this was merely a world thing, because he could not imagine that the Snape from their world would be anything alike this. A shame, really.

'Thanks.' Harry ducked his head and stood to get more juice but Snape stood also and reached to give him an embracing hug, which shockinged Harry at how natural the man was with the action - as though this happened often. Sensing it was part of his “playing along”, Harry accepted the hug and after a moment of weirdness, he felt himself returning it.

'I leave for two minutes.' Draco said from the doorway. He eyed Harry, mostly with envy since Snape was his godfather. And of course...Harry Potter had to get everything he didn't.

They pulled back and while Harry stared holes into the floor, Snape merely rolled his eyes and placed a hand on Draco's shoulder.

'Would you prefer a hug as well, Draco?' Snape asked. He had been only half teasing, but Draco nearly choked on mere oxygen at those words.

'Uh, no, I'm good.' Draco cleared his throat and glanced away; he now blushed redder than Harry.

Snape smirked and turned away from them both. He sat back down and began eating breakfast again, although he was in a rather a hurry to get back to his work and earn more time with them, now that they were more alike the boys he knew.

--

After he'd eaten, Snape helped Dobby clear away the plates and then left for his study.

Harry felt smug in his accomplishment to make this Snape happier, although the hug had surprised him as much as the man's alarmingly warm hands had.

'What are you playing at, Potter?' Draco snarled as they entered the living room and he reached out to grab the other boy's arm to pull him back when he went to pass.

'Is it really so hard to believe that I may actually have no motivatione that concerns you?' Harry rolled his eyes and yanked his forearm back.

'Yes,' Draco scowled. 'What's the point of this?'

'Have a look! Don't you see what's going on here?' Harry whispered, although his tone was still reasonably louder than he had intended it to be.

'What are you talking about?' Draco asked and crossed his arms in annoyance.

'Look at the family portrait, Draco.' Harry sighed and brushed him off with an exasperated frown. He turned to head upstairs to his room and to read a book to pass some time, and ponder on theat strange man that had apparently raised them there.

Draco dropped his arms and turned towards the portrait hanging on the living room wall above the fireplace; no doubt it was charmed with protections and to remain in place. He narrowed his eyes and stepped closer; all he saw was two boys and their adoptive father, each happier than they were in the world he knew.

He tipped his head to the side and continued to stare at it as he tried to decipher the hidden meaning in which Harry seemed to notice.

Even after ten whole minutes...Draco just didn't see it.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review and share your thoughts!
-Mel


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2086