Playing Pretend by watercrystals
Summary: During their third year, Harry and Draco take their rivalry too far while in the Room of Requirement. As a result, a magical accident transports them to a make-believe world where they had grown up from toddlers and their caring father is...Severus Snape.
Desperate to get back to their own world, the boys try to get along and play the part, but to Snape nothing has changed. And what happens when they return to their rightful time and place?
Their illusionary adventure will have them realize the man that is capable of being family and cause them to form the friendship they hadn't thought possible to obtain.
Playing pretend is the one that starts it all: it's part 1 of 4 in the “Shifted Reality” series that will eventually have two boys and one man learning to be a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fantasy, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 24442 Read: 36586 Published: 21 Feb 2010 Updated: 18 Nov 2010
Story Notes:

Fanfiction banner

I've wanted to write something for this for a while but couldn't figure out how it could work. Once I had that worked out, it took my a surprisingly short time to compose plans for this entire almost 65-chapter-in-total series. This first part is about the none-real section of their adventure, but it is crucial because it will have both boys realize what they could have. The Snape in their real time will be in for a shock when they figure out how to return hehe.

1. Shifting Focus by watercrystals

2. Snape But...Different by watercrystals

3. Hatred Runs Deep by watercrystals

4. False Peace by watercrystals

5. Thirteen by watercrystals

6. The Snitch Wars by watercrystals

7. Only Half by watercrystals

8. A Slice of Honesty by watercrystals

9. When It Rains by watercrystals

10. Touch a Snowflake by watercrystals

Shifting Focus by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
I'm not entirely sure that the first chapter came out how I wanted it to be, but got the hang of things with more satisfaction by chapter two. Please let me know what you think!
Oh and because there was no way this would work without it...let's just say they know about the Room of Requirement, okay? I don't know how or why they know the more exact details of the room yet, but just go with the flow of it for now.

Harry had already thought he was having a bad day, even though he was barely a few weeks into the new school year; his third year at Hogwarts. He had missed breakfast because he'd slept in which had resulted from a nightmare he now couldn't even remember. Hermione and Ron aren't on good terms with each other over yet another silly incident and they had double Potions with Slytherins first up. Lovely. And to top it all off, they were late for that as well and the only seats left were right in front of Draco and his Slytherin pals. Thirty points from Gryffindor later and Harry was ready to bang his head against the desk. Which of course would be a very bad thing to do with his failing potion inches away and while Snape loomed nearby, no doubt waiting for a reason/excuse to make Harry's day even worst.

"Alright there, scarhead?" Draco asked with casual mockery while smirking at Harry from his desk directly behind him.

"Shut up, Malfoy" Harry ground out through his teeth while avoiding the blonde Slytherin. He just flipped through his textbook for their work even though the instructions were up on the board at the front, several feet away.

"You know, I'm surprised you're still here, to be completely honest" Draco said in a tone that suggested he wasn't having an entirely honest conversation. "But I suppose to mudblood-" He was saying but Harry was so not in the mood and unwisely turned in his seat and opened his mouth to yell at Draco only he was met with the raised eyebrow and daring expression of Snape.

"What is the meaning of this, Mr Potter?" Snape asked while narrowing his eyes at the knife clutched in Harry's hand and the way he had been turning quickly towards Draco with it.

"Nothing" Was all Harry could say as he turned back around and lowered his knife, seething silently with anger but Slytherins were always known to make his day even worst.

"Nothing?" Snape sneered. "Hardly. Twenty points from Gryffindor for endangering another classmate" He added while walking past.

"But..." Harry caught the look from Hermione and went silent, instead moving to work on his potion. Which of course, ended up as sludge and resembled nothing alike it was supposed to; it was to be expected with the moodiness of his day.

---

He thought it was over when he finally left the Potions classroom, but Draco had noticed his mood and was taking advantage of it.

"It's amazing that Gryffindor doesn't come last every year" Draco smirked as he caught up with the trio.

"That place is reserved for Slytherin" Harry retorted.

"Harry, come on" Hermione urged as she too knew of his mood and Ron wasn't helping as he clenched his fists and prepared to argue with Draco as well.

Draco frowned at Harry's reply and eyed him until he noticed something sticking out between two books, not knowing what it was but since it was in the form of a photograph...he was curious.

"Carrying out a picture of your girlfriend?" He mocked and with a quick action, swiped the picture from the books to sneer at it.

"Oh, my mistake" Draco added. "Looks like your dead parents" He raised at eyebrow at Harry. It was lucky he had, or else he might not have been able to dodge the punch that came his way.

Draco stepped back and wondered what to do and why he was even acting this childish. He had wanted to get Harry in further trouble and it was always amusing to rile the three up, but today he really couldn't pinpoint such a motivation. Perhaps he had just noticed Harry's mood and took a chance? Either way, normally he would not allow himself to act so foolish that it would result in him taking off down the corridor and up some stairs with Harry chasing behind him, determined to retrieve his photograph.

He was much faster than Draco had expected, but he was fit and determined, plus he knew his way around easily enough. The ran up stairs mostly and no matter how much practice Harry had with Dudley, he simply couldn't get close enough to Draco. And he wasn't letting that photograph go either, it was one of the only ones he had like that of his parents.

"You'll never catch me, Potter!" Draco called over his head, his breath shaking and his legs starting to hurt slightly, but he was still outrunning Harry so he pushed onwards.

Remembering reading about the Room of Requirement, Draco was pleased to see the area and thought will all his might “A place to hide” and than pulled open the door the moment it had appeared. But Harry had gained ground and ran in after him, managing to tackle him to the ground.

"Give it back, Malfoy!" Harry yelled while struggling.

"Get off me!" Draco snarled back but still did not release the picture clutched in his sweating hands.

While the boys fought like a pair of eight-year-olds, Dobby appeared; he had heard the commotion from the room he had been cleaning not far down the corridor. His large eyes narrowed when he spotted Harry Potter fighting with non-other than his young previous master.

"Argh!" Draco yelped when he suddenly flew off Harry and the picture slipped from his hands.

"Dobby?" Harry clutched the photo and turned towards the doorway where he spotted the elf he had freed from the Malfoys the previous year. The same elf responsible for getting him locked and barred in his bedroom, nearly being expelled from Hogwarts when he resorted to another method of getting there after the barrier had sealed and also the same house-elf that put Harry in the hospital with a bludgered arm and bones to painfully regrow.

"You!" Draco got to his feet and spat at the elf. "What are you doing here?"

"Dobby is helping Harry Potter" The elf frowned at Draco. "You shall not harm Harry Potter!"

"Friends with Mudbloods, blood traitors, half-giants and freed house-elves..." Draco shook his head at Harry while rubbing his bruised elbow from being expelled from their struggle. "No wonder you're so pathetic."

"Shut up, Malfoy" Harry scowled. As he looked at Draco's face he realized that he too appeared to be shocked with how seriously and childishly they had taken their rivalry this time. Normally a few mocks and laughs, followed by retorts and anger (sometimes even detentions and Gryffindor point deductions), and they would end it there. But this wasn't a typical fight and neither seem to know what to do now.

"Dobby wonders if Harry Potter is okay?" The elf asked.

"I'm fine" Harry sighed. "Thanks" He added. "But what are you doing here?"

"Oh spare me the story" Draco rolled his eyes and walked past Harry while heading for the door but Dobby blocked his path.

"Move it, elf!" Draco shoved him aside, ignoring the yelp of surprise as well as Harry's growl of annoyance.

"Leave him alone!" Harry said to his enemy.

"No, why should I?" Draco frowned back and rolled his eyes as though Harry was stupid for even suggesting it.

"What was that?" He than frowned and looks around, just as Harry feels a small tinkering sound as well, like dull wind chimes.

Without warning, the room began to shake violently and both boys fight to remain upright. They yell out in surprise and panic while a increasingly blinding flash fills the room from a center point. It reminds them both of an explosion, one in which throws them off their feet and into the air.

Their consciousness shuts down before they even had the chance to realize that they disappeared and were yet to touch the floor again.


The first thing Harry noticed was the utter, nerving silence that surrounded himself. The first thing Draco realized was that his face was pressed against an oddly smooth carpet and he quickly reacted by sitting upright, his head spinning as he and Harry take in their surroundings. Neither were aware that they had been transported from the Room of Requirement, Hogwarts to...Prince Manor, several months previous.

"W-what happened?" Harry gasped as he readjusted his glasses and looked around. He remained on the floor whereas Draco was standing in seconds, looking around in equal confusion and worry.

"How should I know?" Draco scowled.

Harry finally joined his side and they turned on the spot, each taking in their new surroundings the best they could. It was clearly a grand living room, with the deep maroon carpet, fancy fireplace with flames flickering calmly within, two large comfy and deep grey sofas facing each other with a wooden coffee table positioned between them. The walls had portrait, unmoving paintings hanging on the stone walls although none was larger than the one behind the boys; although they were yet to notice it.

With a small pop, Dobby appeared in front of them with a confused expression on his small face.

"Dobby is most surprised" The elf said, his eyes wider than usual. He raises a finger and points behind them. The boys quickly turned and their biggest shock is received from the moment they stare at the pictures resting atop the mantel.

"Is this some kind of sick joke?" Draco asked although his tone was quiet and disbelieving.

"I...I don't know" Harry replied while staring at the frames (some were moving in black and white while others were stationary and coloured), each progressed through a sort of time line. Starting from Draco and Harry as toddlers and than messy, young children with big toothy grins. The photos became more recent as their ages progressed in image, right up until the final one of them now (although perhaps more towards the end of their second year), only it was nothing alike they were now. On more than one occasion, they were pictured together as though they were best friends or had...grown up together?

"Um...Draco?" Harry swallowed as he glanced upwards and saw the large, family portrait hanging on the wall above the fireplace in front of them. Gulping as he eyes at the coloured picture staring back at them, showing something they could not believe to be real.

Draco glanced up to stare at the picture as well. There was himself and Harry standing side by side with large, genuinely happy smiles on their younger faces. He estimated them to be in first year, especially since they were dressed in their clearly new school robes, demonstrating the house they were both differently sorted into. In that sense it wasn't unlike the pictures below, except for one key change...there was someone else pictures.

"Is that...Snape?" Harry tipped his head lightly, staring at the dark-cloaked man in the pictures, positioned behind the images of the boys although he had a hand resting on each their shoulders and...was that a smile on his face? Surely not...Snape never smiled; smirked sickeningly perhaps...but never did he smile. Or at least, few had witnessed such an expression from the sour man.

Draco said nothing and just continued to stare at the picture, frowning as he looked happy even though of course to him that picture had never been taken and everything around them did not exist. While Harry looked around some more and conversed briefly with Dobby, Draco examined the picture closer, trying to work out where it had been taken; it looked like a private room, somewhat Slytherin-like and had some distant potion jars in the background...Snape's private quarters, perhaps? That did not comfort the blonde any further than the image itself did.

Mentally and otherwise silently, each boy tried to work out what had happened. However they were not given even enough time when the opening of a door caught their attention. Each reached for their wands but found them to be lying a few meters away instead. Surely they hadn't been there before? Grabbing them, they turned quickly towards the approaching sound but his voice caused them to freeze.

"Why is the house entirely silent?" Snape wondered aloud and than stepped into the living room, dressed as he always was in black robes but his expression wasn't as glaring as it normally was in their memories. Finally, he spotted them standing there and staring at him with wide eyes. Confused, Snape frowned and eyes the room uncertainly.

"What are you two doing?" He asked. His tone wasn't demanding or angry, merely curious and befuddled. It was unnatural.

"Well?" Snape crossed his arms and continued to eye them both but neither Draco nor Harry were able to form speech and just continued to stare in nothing sure of pure shock.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I crave feedback and it helps me write when I know what my readers are thinking etc. I have this fic planned through to the end, but only in very basic form. Your feedback can help fill in moments or else inspire me. Please review!
Snape But...Different by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my reviewers! Have also fixed up the mild errors in the previous chapter.

"Draco?" Snape asked while looking at the boy. "Harry?" He glanced at the other but slowly his eyes narrowed to the wands in their hands and the sweating, flushed faces.

"I recall insisting that each of you are to refrain from dueling without my supervision?" He scowled at them, now ignoring how their mouths hung open slightly and that they were yet to speak.

"As punishment...for now, I expect each of you in the kitchen to prepare lunch" Snape told them. "Now!"

"Y-yes, sir" Draco gulped out and Harry nodded, his eyes still wide. Unsure what else to do, the boys turned and strode across the room, trying not to appear too oblivious to the location of the kitchen. Noticing Dobby leading the way, the boys followed after the elf and sure enough...there stood the grand but otherwise average kitchen.

"What did you do, Potter?" Draco muttered under his breath and crossed his arms.

"Me?" Harry glared back. "I didn't do anything! What did you do?"

"I don't hear obedience!" Snape called from the other room.

Deciding to prepare the said lunch, Harry started opening cupboards and looking around. Draco was obviously not going to help as he leaned against the counter with his arms remaining crossed in annoyance.

"What's with Professor Snape?" Draco continued quietly. "He wasn't around when you did this."

"I didn't do it!" Harry said again. "You ran in there, how do I know this wasn't your plan all along, Malfoy?" He blamed angrily while making basic sandwiches.

"Why would I plan for this?" Draco scowled. "I am not enjoying this, Potter. Whatever you did, put it back!"

"I. Didn't. Do. It!" Harry said slowly through clenched teeth.

"Does Harry Potter need help?" The elf asked, reminding them that he was there. "Dobby would be honored to help Harry Potter with anything Harry Potter needs."

"Yeah, thanks" Harry nodded although Dobby ended up doing most of the work "And what about the pictures? How do you explain them?" He glanced at Draco.

"I dunno" Draco shrugged. "Some weren't moving and had colour; that's weird enough."

"Those were muggle pictures" Harry told him but Draco didn't look too surprised.

"Who does this house-elf belong to? Snape spoke from the doorway. His words caused both boys to turn and stare at him, eyes wide again and for some unknown reason they felt guilty as though caught in the act of misbehaviour.

"My friend" Harry jumped in quickly, being defensive of the elf in case Snape tells him to leave, which would be worst considering that the house-elf knew what had happened (sort of) and was his only company besides Draco.

Harry had expected to be yelled at by Snape, although he had no idea of the situation that they were in. However the man instead looked quite amused with his words and didn't show any hints of not believing him.

"Sandwiches again?" Snape raised an eyebrow. "I am at least assured that there is no peanut butter involved. Draco, I expect you to assist" He added and turned to enter the nearby dining room.

Draco growled lightly but didn't dare object, instead he moved and shoved Dobby aside, causing the elf to yelp in surprise.

"Leave him alone" Harry frowned again.

"He is a servant Potter, I do as I please" Draco drawled while retrieving some plates from a cupboard; he looked quite reluctant and purposefully delaying as he did so.

"He doesn't belong to your family anymore" Harry reminded him but Draco merely shrugged and shoved Dobby again when he passed.

"Draco" Harry gritted his teeth, well aware that Snape was in the next room, but wasn't sure if he could stop himself from attacking his enemy for hurting or otherwise being horribly rude to Dobby.

Although the boys continued to argue, they weren't aware that Snape could hear from from the dining room and wondered what was going on. A minute later and he got to his feet at the sound of fighting.

"Enough!" He called over their bickering and the constant shoving ceased the moment he spoke while moving into view. "What is the meaning of this?" He demanded to know.

"I have not witnessed such childish quarreling amongst yourselves in many weeks" Snape said. The boys could only look at each other in further surprise while Dobby continued with preparing lunch behind their backs.

"Did something occur whilst I was away?" Snape continued, eying each boy with obvious curiosity and confusion.

"No" Harry said, feeling he had to say something but wasn't sure if it was safe to mention what had happened. "I mean, Draco was being a git...although it's not like you'd believe me" He muttered darkly and lowered his gaze.

"Oh, so this is my fault?" Draco scowled, having heard him. "Sir, he started it!" He added to Snape.

"I told you! I didn't do anything!" Harry snapped in frustration.

"What, you think I want this?" Draco added, now oblivious to their shocked onlooker. "Fix it!"

"I didn't do it!" Harry's tone was louder and Draco's soon increased as well. Snape knew fists or wands would be involved again so he quickly intervened.

"Enough of this childish behaviour!" He said loudly and they paused, remembering his presence. "We shall discuss this at a later time. I will announce lunch when it is prepared, but for now each of you are expected to be in your rooms!" He snapped and they mumbled a “yes sir” before leaving.

"I don't understand" Harry said, losing his anger quicker than Draco did although they weren't entirely sure why they felt such levels of frustration; perhaps it was an after-effect of their fighting before this bizarre occurrence happened?

"We have rooms here and obviously that means we live here...with Snape?" His face contorted with disbelief and disgust.

"Don't be stupid, Potter" Draco spat. "Of course not."

"You saw the pictures!" Harry insisted while they paused at the top of the stairs, unsure where their said rooms were located within the house although they also didn't know where they were in the world.

"It has to be a trick" Draco frowned but there was no denying it. "There was an explosion of some sort" He remembered. "Think that's what caused...this?"

Harry merely shrugged in response. "Where do you think our rooms are? Maybe there will be some sort of clue in them as to where we are and what's going on?"

"How should I know?" Draco grumbled. "Look for the green and red ones. Thank Merlin we're still in the same houses."

"No kidding" Harry sighed and began opening random doors. Another floor upwards and they found them only they weren't as differently decorated as they'd expected. Although they were horrified to realize each room was directly across the other; luckily they each had their own bathroom though.

Harry's room was mostly decorated with pictures and drawings while Draco's consisted of numerous Quidditch posters (everything in his room was magical and moving apart from a desk lamp and overhead light, whereas Harry had a few muggle items as well as a CD player and alarm clock). They each had a large single bed, wardrobe, a chest of drawers, work desk with a chair on wheels and a large window showing lush green lawn. Everything was placed in different positions, but otherwise they were basically the same in furniture and large space. Harry did have more red and gold than anything, but there were hints of green and blue at various places as well. Draco's consisted of a lot of green a silver, but he too had various other colours here and there, although not quite as much as Harry did.

The main different between the rooms were the items scattered around and the fact that while Harry's was considerably tidy, Draco's was rather messy. They each had their brooms (Nimbus 2000 for Harry and Nimbus 2001 for Draco, just like in their real world), trunks and an owl cage...but than there were more books on Harry's desk while Draco's had a collection of odd items and a camera. There were just simple things that made their rooms so different and yet...lived in.

"Wow" Harry raised his eyebrows. "It's like we have been living here our whole lives."

"That isn't possible" Draco frowned, eying his broom and than the muggle lamp on his desk, crinkling his nose at it.

"I know!" Harry sighed loudly. "I was just saying how it looks."

"Whatever" Draco dismissed and entered his room, shutting the door behind himself. Harry soon did the same inside his own bedroom.

While Draco examined everything and continued to work out what was going on, Harry just sat on the edge of his bed and smiled lightly at his room. He'd never had a bedroom like this before, in fact he hadn't even had a bedroom until the previous year in which the Dursleys had reluctantly given him Dudley's second bedroom and even that was barely much. Better than the cupboard under the stairs though, that's for sure.

This room was...his. In the sense that even though he'd never seen it before, it's exactly how he would want his room if he had one and if he had grown up with one from the beginning. And yet here...he had, only of course he hadn't...it was very confusing.

"Draco! Harry!" Snape's unmistakable voice echoed from the stairs as he called them, causing each boy to jump. "Lunch is prepared" He added and walked back downstairs where Dobby was hovering the plates of sandwiches and glasses of water to the large table with three chairs (one at the end and one each on the sides).

Nearly bumping into each other as they leave their rooms, the boys decided to act as normal as they can until they can figure out what is going on, where they are and...how to get back.

"I'll be shocked if you even have table manners, Potter" Draco teased as they made their way down the stairs.

"Shut up, Malfoy" Harry frowned in annoyance.

"Thank you, Dobby" Snape was saying as they entered the dining room and sat opposite each other but both felt a little strange to be seated so closely to Snape. Although he wasn't acting like the Snape they knew. "Although it wasn't necessary."

"Dobby does not mind" The elf said happily. "Dobby liked to help sirs" He added and than made his way back into the kitchen, presumably to clean up.

"And, might I ask, what my sons have been destroying in my absence?" Snape asked casually, but both boys halted their eating and slowly turned to stare at him. Draco recovered more quickly but Harry was still repeating that mild joke over in his mind.

"Nothing, really" Draco shrugged and Harry reached for his water to avoid talking.

Snape cast each of them a strange look before speaking again. "And exactly what is going on that has each of you in such a state?" He questioned.

The boys look at each other and aren't sure what to say. They are once again surprised when Snape takes it as a hint of something more personal and brushes it aside, continuing with his strange casualness that each of the boys aren't used to.

"I expect you both recall that I have permitted assistance involving certain, required harvesting?" He mentioned as they returned to eating, nodding as though they understood what he was talking about.

"I expect each of you to be outside when we are finished here" Snape added.

"Do we have to?" Draco complained, understanding that it implied gardening while Harry merely sniggered at his reaction.

"I was under the impression you wished to assist me?" Snape raised a suspicious eyebrow at them.

"Erm, he's just in a weird mood today" Harry said while Draco looked as though he was actually in pain. "We'll help, surely it can't be too hard?" He cast a sly glance at his rival.

---

So far all they knew was that somehow they'd landed themselves in Snape's household and a life in which (from what they have discovered), the once-sour man had raised them as his sons. Surely it was much more complicated than that, but it was all they understood so far, to an extent.

They wanted to go back because while Draco was wondering how they were going to keep up their act, Harry was getting more curious by the moment. And that was certainly not a good sign.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review to let me know whatcha think. Am already quite ahead in writing so shall be updating rather soon.
-Mel
Hatred Runs Deep by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
I am updating all my fics and typed chapter five in time to update only to realize we're up to three on here. Haha, oh well can update soon than. Enjoy!

Snape was leading the two boys out of the house and towards the back yard, he didn't notice Harry's interest or Draco's deep scowl when they saw the relatively large garden overcome with numerous weeds. He explained what needed to be done but remained oblivious to their reactions since he clearly expected them to already be aware of the garden and their tasks.

Harry was used to doing the gardening for the Dursleys so he was rather content with getting his hands dirty and knew what he was doing. Draco however had probably only gotten his hands dirty once or twice in his life and muttered constant complaints throughout his tasks, although he knew he couldn't bluntly refuse to do them; Snape had implied they had previously wanted to help him with his garden. Although Draco was disgusted to consider himself requesting such torture.

While Snape worked a little distance away with his more precious potion ingredients (neither boy noticed his absence of robes, most likely to fact that he was still dressed entirely in black), Harry went about his tasks easily while Draco struggled loudly with his.

Harry suddenly paused as a brown snake wriggled nearby in the direction of Draco. Acting without thinking, he hissed in Parseltongue to it and the other two glanced up at him in bewilderment, even though they knew of his abilty.

"Please leave. We mean no harm but your presence endangers us" He said to the snake, who paused and lifted up its head to look at him, soon hissing back in return.

"You speak?" The snake seemed surprised while its tongue flickered. "I am merely passed through. I shall not harm your friends if they remain still"

"Keep still, it won't hurt us if you do" Harry said. He noticed Snape was more casual although he looked displeased with his actions. Draco however was wide-eyed and distrusting; the fact that he didn't understand what Harry was saying to the snake only added to that.

"Goodbye, speaker" The snake said as he moved through the herbs and plants, several meters from Draco, who indeed didn't move but stared at it the entire time.

"You're going to send that after me in my sleep" Draco gulped, looking over at Harry with a renewed glare.

"As if" Harry snorted. "However, it's tempting" He added. "Wait, a Slytherin scared of a snake?" He couldn't help but laugh.

"I do not find this amusing" Snape spoke. "Harry, we have discussed this."

"Erm, right" Harry nodded, having not idea of such discussion of course but played along anyhow. "Sorry, but I was just telling it not to hurt us."

'Very well" Snape returned to his tasks but Draco was further reluctant with his own as though he was expecting another snake to appear and for Harry to command it to attack him.


The group must have spent a good hour outside in the cloudy sunlight before an owl swooped over and landed nearby with it's leg raised towards Snape where a letter was plainly attached. He retrieved the envelope and read the contents before glancing at his garden with a wary expression and than sighed heavily.

"I have business to attend to" He informed them while the owl flew away and he pocketed his letter. "I assume I can trust your boys to take extra care in my absence?" He asked, looking at the garden again.

Draco was still grumbling and didn't reply so Harry took it upon himself to nod in response, still finding it strange how casual Snape was being to him.

"Very well" Snape nodded. "I will conclude this urgent matter and return" He walked away from the boys and returned to the manor. Each boy was relieved to relax their act since there was no need to continue it without Snape around.

"This is servant work!" Draco scowled. "Re-potting those screaming plants in Herbology was one thing but this...this is appalling!"

"It's not that bad" Harry rolled his eyes.

"Not that bad?" Draco echoed but then thought for a moment and a mocking smirk appeared on his face. "Well I suppose scum like you are used to such servitude, but I however, am not."

Harry chose not to response although he did clench his teeth together as he pulled more stubborn weeds that tried to squirm out of his grip. Snape may not be around for the moment but each boy worked with extra caution, begin careful not to ruin anything as they are certain Snape would be as mad as unimaginable hell. Although no matter how hard they tried, they still ended up sniping at each other.

"I'm sure I could pay Weaslebee to do this for me" Draco mused. "He'd probably do anything for the money" He snorted.

"Shut up, Malfoy" Harry growled deep in his throat.

"Or the mudblood" Draco added, ignoring Harry as he taunted his friends to let of steam.

"Shut up!" Harry snapped angrily and stopped working to glare at him, almost daring the Slytherin to give him a reason to punch him. Draco noticed the look but barely shrugged and continued with his tasks.

"I don't understand why we can't use magic" Draco was apparently not finished. "Or make that elf do it, seeing as he's basically worthless trash without-" But his words were cut off by Harry throwing a pile of dirt at him in retaliation. It missed his face but mixed too well in his hair.

"Hey!" Draco tried to shake the dirt from his hair angrily. "You'll pay for that one, Potter!" He grabbed his own handful but Harry effectively dodged it and instead threw a weed, which hit Draco in the chest and showered him with more dirt. And from then, another fight ensured.

"ENOUGH!" A booming voice caused both boys to pause in their tangle of limbs and dirt to look up at Snape. They recoiled away from the other and gazed around at the damage, their stomach sinking and faces reddening when they saw the wrecked rows, flattened plants and overall ruined herbs. Wincing deeply, they turn to look up at Snape while getting to their feet quickly.

"What is the meaning of this?" Snape growled. "I leave you boys alone for five minutes and you have the nerve to..." He trailed off and instead of the expected scowling, the man merely looked tired and even sad as his gaze trailed over the destruction they had caused to his garden.

"Inside" He ordered without looking at them. "Clean yourselves and got to your rooms."

They weren't sure what to do or how to take this Snape's odd reaction, apart from turning and doing as they were told. The man said nothing more nor did he cast them a glance as he bend down and almost tenderly tried to save the rest of his herbs while gathering the other plants.

"That was weird" Draco frowned.

"No thanks to you" Harry added sourly.

"You threw dirt at me!" Draco scowled back as they entered the house.

"You were being a git about my friends and Dobby!" Harry reminded him. "Urgh! Can't you even try to be nice for one day?"

"Me, be nice to you?" Draco scoffed. "We're not even on friendly terms, Potter."

"I hate you" Harry narrowed his eyes, not caring how childish he sounded now but the look on Snape's face when he'd seen his ruined garden seemed to stick with him. He wasn't sure why he even cared, surely it could be fixed with magic and besides...didn't he despise the man too?

"The feeling is mutual" Draco drawled with an added eye-roll.

"Dobby wonders if sirs need anything?" The elf suddenly appeared in front of them.

"No!" The boys angrily in unison, still glaring at each other although Harry had a larger right to be as furious as they were.

"Dobby had a look around" The elf said. "Where Dobby thought it is okay to look" He added and the boys finally gave him their attention although Harry's fists remained clenched and Draco was trying to dust himself off.

"Dobby has learned that Mister Snape adopted Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy as babies. Dobby realizes that Mister Snape raised Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy in this world. Dobby is most surprised."

"We already figured that out, elf" Draco muttered.

"Thanks though Dobby" Harry added, casting another glare at Draco. "Did you find out anything else?"

"Dobby has not had time to look deeper" The elf said with a small smile.

"I wish Hermione was here" Harry sighed, all anger gone as he missed his friends now. "She would be able to tell us if the Room of Requirement can do this sort of thing, or at least she could figure it out."

"Dobby has heard of the Room of Requirement" Dobby said. "Dobby has heard that it can do anything. Dobby believes the room has responded to something yous both need" He nodded.

Draco and Harry looked at each other, wondering what they could possibly need that caused this place to appear. Not coming up with any bright ideas or theories that were likely to be corrected, they left Dobby to whatever he had previously been doing and made their way upstairs to their rooms as Snape had instructed them to.

Angry and confused, they slammed their doors at almost the same time and headed for a shower, neither wanting to ponder on what could possibly go wrong next or how they were ever going to return to their own world.


The boys remained in their rooms until dinner. Harry had been checking out his clothes and personal belongings while Draco read a book of interest. Neither were aware of how much time had passed since the incident with the garden (although Harry had an alarm clock, he paid it no attention), and were only aware of dinner when Dobby appeared in each of their rooms to announce it.

"I bet you washed your hair as soon as possible" Harry mocked Draco as they made their way downstairs, both silently nervous about facing Snape. "Lavender shampoo and all?"

"Shut up, at least I don't wear rags like a common house-elf" Draco glance at Harry's “home wear” that were Dudley hand-downs, although he had selected his least-torn of the lot. He had been meaning to change into some of the clothes he had here but it slipped his mind.

Harry was going to retort but decided to be quiet and sat down at the table, nervously glancing at Snape but the man was eating his meal and not looking at them although he did not appear as livid as they had expected.

"Sorry about the garden, sir" Draco spoke, only feeling guilty because he knew it was abnormal for Snape to be so silent and also because they had made quite a mess and despite it all, Draco did have a high level of respect for his godfather.

"Hm" Snape grunted but said nothing else, although that mere sound was hardly counted as speech.

During the course of the silent meal in which Dobby had prepared, the boys came to realize that they were indeed the only ones truly aware of what happened and to Snape it was probably just that they were acting strange rather than that something was different.

The meal was good, but neither really noticed it and kept glancing at Snape since was abnormally quiet and avoided their gazes, although his expression made it seem as though he was very deep in thought. Perhaps that was the reason for his lack of speech?

But even after he had consumed his meal, Snape stood and didn't say a word apart from saying he was going to his private rooms to work on a potion. That was considered normal behaviour on his part, but the expression and odd air about the man remained. Draco and Harry couldn't help but stare after his dark form in surprise; the man he hated in his time but could not find a reason to despise in this world.

"Dobby wonders if sirs are finished?" Dobby collects Snape's discarded plate and upon their nods, he gathers theirs as well, which vanish and re-appear in the kitchen.

"I thought you were free, Dobby?" Harry decided to focus on something else. "I mean, you've been cooking and cleaning even though we're not your family. I'll pay you back for it, I swear. We're really grateful."

Draco snorted at Harry's comment to pay the house-elf but otherwise didn't say anything else.

"No sir, Dobby is honored!" The elf insisted. "Dobby will not accept payment from yous while we are here. Dobby is happy to work unpaid here for a while."

"This is ridiculous, house-elves are slaves" Draco said in annoyance. "You're not supposed to be paid for it."

Harry ignored him and his eyes trailed to the doorway as he tried to think of a different topic that would break up yet another possible fight.

"Something's wrong" Harry sighed with a frown.

"And you didn't notice that until now?" Draco scowled at him.

Harry growled in response but refused to start fighting again, especially after what happened last time. "No, I mean that Snape seems to different here. It's like he really cares for us or something."

Draco quieted down at that. "Maybe" He shrugged. "It would explain why he didn't punish us. But I suppose if we grew up here, he'd have to like us at some point, right?"

Harry shrugged and got to his feet to find something else to do. He ended up following Draco into the living room. While the blonde grabs a book and decides to read over by the fire, Harry spots a chess board and sits across from it curiously. He notices his own name written on the side although it wasn't as neat as his handwriting was now although he'd certainly been the one to label it, perhaps he'd had this board for a number of years here?

"Dobby likes Mister Snape's house" The elf said as he surprisingly joined them a few minutes later.

"It's alright" Harry nodded in agreement and eyed the board again in boredom. "Dobby? Do you play chess?" He wondered while Draco glance up briefly to look at him as though he was sprouting wings from his head. Dismissing his words with a shake of his head, Draco returned to his book contently, concealing his amused smirk.

"Dobby does not know how to play nor has Dobby ever been allowed" The elf said, looking curious and concerned all at once.

"Well I'll teach you" Harry suggested, ignoring a snort from Draco's direction and was unaware that they also had an audience nearby the darkened doorway. "Come on" Harry insisted when Dobby looked at the board reluctantly. "There's no rules here, right? So you're free and can do whatever you want."

Dobby pondered and than climbed onto a footstool and eyed the chess board with a light nod while listening intently as Harry explained how to play. He wasn't so sure about the co-ordinates since he wasn't familiar with it, but was a quick and cunning learner.

Snape entered the living room and seated himself in a armchair nearby both of the boys. While he barely acknowledged them at all, he did appear less vacant in mood than he was before. Both boys glanced at each other but with nothing they could say with the man there nor anything to respond to, they each went back to what they were doing.

Snape waited until he heard Draco turn a page and Harry correct Dobby's attempt to establish the rules without error, only than did her glance up from his papers and eye each boy in turn. Neither of them were aware of how worried he was; it was impossible their odd behaviour to go unnoticed and he was more concerned with how different they were rather than their relapse in fighting. Harry wasn't smiling at him the way he constantly did, Draco wasn't smiling at all and they hadn't referred to him as anything other than “sir” since he had arrived home from a long day of work. And then this house-elf shows up? It was all confusing and Snape was sure he'd missed something.

But then there was the recent events with his garden. Another reason why he was anxious about the boys. Something was very wrong. Surely they remember how he had put so much work and dedication into that single garden, doing it all the muggle way and how much pride he had in his growing herbs? They had seen how important it was to him (a hobby they approved of, they had called it too), they had both wanted to help for that reason. In fact it had resorted to begged a week previous and now suddenly it was as though they simply didn't care.

All that work...only to have it entirely ruined.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!!
False Peace by watercrystals

'It is time to rest' Snape stood and both boys glanced up in surprise when he spoke.

'Dobby thinks he wins' The elf commented to Harry and Draco couldn't help but chuckle at the fact that the house-elf had indeed beaten Harry at a game of Wizarding chess.

'Now' Snape reminded them and watched as Draco replaced his book by the fireplace (why didn't he take it with him; didn't he remember it was his?) and Harry bid goodnight to Dobby while he merely gave him a small but otherwise cautious smile. Snape narrowed his eyes at their retreating backs and turned to question Dobby but the elf had disappeared with a pop!

---

Everyone but Snape slept restfully that night, dreaming of various things that were of no importance the following morning. With an entire day to themselves, Draco and Harry took to following each other around, mostly to be annoying as they bickered and tried to find something to do in the unfamiliar place. Snape had retreated to his study directly after breakfast so they felt less pressured to act as though they were not lost at every turn of the house.

'I'm surprised you're not wearing robes' Harry added to Draco but both boys paused by a window on the fifth floor as the garden was seen plainly from that particular angle. It looked untouched since they had carelessly ruined it and both felt rather guilty as they stared down at it and realized how much damage they had done; although Draco concealed it with greater ease.

Harry stared at the unearthed dirt, flattened and now dried plants that lay around and just generally thought about how it was their fault while he remembered the look on Snape's face when he had seen it and how quiet he had been since. Were they missing some meaning behind it all?

'I'm going to fix it' Harry decided aloud. 'Are you going to help, since you're just as responsible?' He frowned at his enemy.

'I decline' Draco shook his head. 'I've had enough of the filth, thanks. Have fun' He said dismissively.

'Of course' Harry growled. 'You'll always be a huge git, Malfoy' He turned away and marched out of the room while leaving the blonde standing there.

---

Harry examined the work he had to do and noticed something he hadn't from the window although now it was so obvious; there were a few pots and buckets of water in which contained plants etc, as though Snape had made dire efforts to save a majority of his plants and herbs even though it appeared hopeless without the garden to contain and nourish them.

Sighing, Harry bent on his knees and started discarding the truly dead plants and resorted the soil. He paused when a shadow fell over him and turned quickly to see Draco standing there with a hesitant frown that marked his features.

'I was...bored' Draco shrugged but Harry didn't state his lie and simply nodded, smiling lightly at the fact that he had decided to help after all. He gave Draco some instructions and than they set to work on fixing the garden, determined to save at least a part of it and whatever it had meant to Snape.

'How about we form a “no attacking” truce?' Harry offered while they worked. 'Because all this fighting isn't really helping and soon Snape will get suspicious. If we hate each other this much, can't we at least save it until we're out of here?'

Draco was silent for a moment and than sighed. 'Fine, you may actually have a point' He muttered as though he was reluctant to admit so.

---

It had been barely after lunch when the boys had started and it wasn't for another three hours until they decided their task was complete. It seemed that the garden would never be the same as it had been, but at least it wasn't as bad now. Satisfied and silently agreeing not to say anything to each other, Draco and Harry headed inside for showers and a clean change of clothes.


Snape wandered by the kitchen to see Dobby reading cookbooks curiously. He shook his head in amusement since he believed Harry was making that elf more human every day. He walked towards the living room and it was then that he saw the boys for the first time since lunch. They had just entered the living room and collapsed into separate armchairs. Snape suspiciously wondered what they had been doing all day, but the house was still standing; surely he could ignore it for now.

'Harry?' He asked and the boy glanced over at him curiously. 'Do you still wish to continue through with your thirteenth birthday party a week from this day?' Snape wondered and was concerned when Harry looked shocked by his words.

'Oh, yes!' Harry grinned, the idea of having a birthday party was enthralling since he hadn't ever had one in the past. He was surprised at first but quickly recovered.

'I require a guest list' Snape added.

'Oh um...' Harry thought for a moment; who could he invite? 'I want to invite Ron and Hermione, if that's okay' He said, hoping they were his friends in this world too.

Snape didn't bother conceal his surprise at this while Draco merely looked bored. 'Are you sure?' He questioned. 'If I am not mistaken, you have not spoken to them in weeks. I wasn't aware that each of you were on talking terms again'.

Harry, with no other response to give, merely shrugged. Snape sighed and took notes while turning to Draco. 'And what of Luna? Should I include her, seeing as you're all close friends?'.

Who?” Draco mouthed to Harry but he merely shook his head in confusion, glad Snape wasn't looking at them but instead remained focused on his parchment, until he received no answer from Draco and Harry stepped in.

'Um, sure...invite her' Harry nodded. 'And anyone else, I really don't mind much' He smiled, making Snape raise an eyebrow as it had been the first real grin the boy had directed his way since that odd day. 'Oh but what about Hagrid? I'd like him to be there, if he's not busy I mean...'

'I shall include Hagrid as a guest' Snape nodded and turned to leave the room, deciding to face the arrangements now since it was only a mere week away and he had the spare time.

'Seriously?' Draco cast a lopsided look at Harry. 'A birthday party? No thanks' He complained with a roll of his eyes to accompany his tone.

'We have to play along with whatever is happening' Harry insisted. 'I suppose this is normal here so just get used to it'.

'Whatever, but we're not staying...remember?' Draco sighed.

'Yeah...I know' Harry nodded, wondering why that suddenly didn't seem like such a wonderful goal anymore. Perhaps it was because here he had his own room, as much food as he liked, real clothes and a birthday party? Hm, he could only wonder. But Draco was right...they couldn't stay.

---

Snape sighed and read over the plans again while wandering through the house. He paused near the library and pocketed his parchment while pinching the bridge of his nose. He turned and glanced out the window but stepped closer in disbelief. He saw that his nice rows of dirt in his garden were once again straight, the buckets were gone because the saved herbs and plants had been placed back into the ground and properly watered; that and there were no dead plants or mess shewn about.

He had not done that; Snape was well aware of such a fact and knew how his garden went from ruined to renewed in a few hours. As he stood there and looked over at the nicely done garden, he smiled an actual happy smile and vowed to thank his sons later because only they would have done this for him while surely knowing how much it meant to him that they had.


'Do you think we need to go to the room of requirement in this world to get back?' Harry mused as he and Draco made their way downstairs for dinner. 'Since that's where it happened'.

'I don't know, but I doubt it' Draco sighed. 'But we didn't arrive there so I don't think the rooms are the connection here'.

'Well what is? I mean, what if we can't get back?' Harry's eyed widened at that thought, not wanting to even consider it but they were seriously running out of options and theories.

Draco cast him a glare for even mentioning it although he remained silent. They entered the dining room where Snape was placing plates on the table and Dobby hovered the gravy over along with fresh garlic bread.

The boys sat down in their usual seats across from each other with Snape towards their side and started placing things on their plates. They had both noticed the more content and almost-smiling look upon Snape's face so were both quite nervous and decided to remain utterly silent; not that they usually said much during meals anyhow.

'What have you boys been occupying your time with today?' Snape inquired casually after a few minutes into the meal. Draco had to gulp down his chicken in surprise while Harry glanced up to stare at the man for a brief moment. He had previously been distant and to have him suddenly talkative was unnerving, adding to the unfamiliar look on his face.

'Nothing much, really' Draco shrugged his shoulders, always faster to recover than Harry was.

'I see' Snape's eyes lowered to his plate for a moment. 'I came across something rather odd this evening' He said slowly and glanced up to see their mildly alarmed expressions in which they poorly tried to conceal. He continued to watch them until they had all finished eating but spoke before the boys could move to leave the dinner table.

'It came across my attention this evening that my garden is no longer demolished' He hinted and while Draco avoided his gaze with only a mildly interested expression, Harry ducked his head and blushed.

'Thank you' Snape added and they looked up at him with mingled surprise and pride. 'I know each of you are aware of the importance of the garden and the hurt you caused me when it was ruined. So again, I thank you for repairing it and you are each forgiven' He nodded.

'Um, thanks' Harry inclined his head and felt as though he should say something while Draco merely nodded shortly. 'I mean, you're welcome' He rephrased and sighed. 'We are sorry for ruining it, sir'.

Snape noticed the “sir” mentioning again but chose to ignore it. 'I understand that' He nodded and offered them a forgiving smile, wondering why they seemed so shocked by it, but assumed they had been feeling so guilty that they felt undeserving of the gratitude? It had happened in the past.

With the abrupt silence spreading once again, the boys stood and left the table, heading upstairs to their rooms for showers and than bed, not feeling like doing much else and were tired from their relatively busy yet still uneventful day. It was as though this world was draining them more than the normal one would, but neither thought upon it by the time they rested their heads and dozed into sleep.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review! Am nearly up to writing chapter 10 so updates will be rather quick but I'll leave a few days to await reviews and opinions.
-Mel :)
Thirteen by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Life has been crazy! Here is the next chapter. Thanks to my wonderful beta Forgottenellipses. :)

Snape was suspicious of course, as many scenarios rushed through his mind, each as likely or unlikely as the next. However, he acted on none of them and merely went about the preparations for Harry's birthday in case he was indeed over-reacting – although he strongly doubted it. He had sent out the formal requests of attendence and received the accepting replies, but was yet to tell the boys that detail, seeing as they'd vanished to make their own preparations and stated that they would see him at the party after lunch. It was almost as though they were avoiding him.

--

Harry stood in his room, staring at his reflection and wondered if it was correctly considered as “party clothes”. He wouldn't know since he'd never actually had one before. A grin was spread across his face as he approved his red shirt, dark blue jeans and black shoes. He had even taken more efforts to brush his hair, but of course there was no point since it never once stayed tame.

'Honestly' Draco rolled his eyes, causing Harry to glance through the mirror at where he stood by the doorway, leaning on the frame while staring at Harry's grin with mild amusement and mocking.

'It's like you've never had a party on your birthday before, Potter'.

Ignoring the truth in Draco's words while dismissing the other boy's attempts to tease him and lessen his mood, Harry turned and left the room with the grin still upon his face although he was also feeling a little bit nervous as to what to expect.

By 1pm, Snape finally saw the boys again as they left the house and approached where the balloons magically hovered over the entire party area, tables were set up with food (in which Dobby had made and prepared accordingly), and streamers blew in the wind, also levitated by magic. The entire decorating normally would have taken muggles some time and difficulty; it just made Harry love magic even more.

'Wicked!' Harry grinned at it as he approached the table while Draco pulled on a black jacket over his green shirt and deep silver pants. 'Thanks.' He added to Snape.

Snape said nothing although he nodded at the boy and then turned towards the sounds of voices as the entire Weasley clan arrived alongside Hermione and a few others.

'’Ey there Harry!' Hagrid's voice boomed over the group as he stood tall behind them, waving and smiling enthusiastically.

'Harry!' Mrs. Weasley smiled at him and gave him a hug, which he awkwardly returned but had become more accustomed to over the years. Draco had recoiled away from the group by a few feet and looked utterly insulted when Mrs. Weasley greeted and hugged him as well. His determination to play along was almost squashed by his remembrance of the company he was tolerating.

'Grea' job as usual, Snape.' Hagrid commented to the professor while also ducking some of the balloons and being careful not to knock anything.

'Thank you.' Snape replied with a polite nod.

'Ron!' Harry grinned when he spotted his best friend, effectively and yet unintentionally tuning everyone else out.

'Hermione,' He added and approached them, thankful to see them after what had happened. If he and Draco hadn't outrun them, then perhaps his friends would be here and helping to find a way back. His friends glanced at each other, frowning slightly at his sudden niceness towards then and Harry soon caught onto their reluctant and confused faces.

'What?' He asked.

'Nothing, er...Happy Birthday!' Hermione flashed a hesitant smile.

'So you're talking to us now?' Ron asked instead and ignored Hermione's nudging. 'I thought, you know? You'd still be mad at us for playing that prank on Draco.' He stuffed his hands into his pants pockets awkwardly.

'Prank?' Harry echoed and forgot that he was meant to be playing along but instead thought he was a back with his friends.

'Yeah, you know?' Ron sighed and briefly explained turning Draco's hair Gryffindor red and hanging him upside down at the edge of the Forbidden Forest until he got down. That was when they'd transfigured his ears and hands into that of a ferret.

Harry had to put all his strength into stifling his laughter when Draco's growl from nearby reminded him that this was a different world, a time in which he was supposed to be playing along with.

'Right.' Harry said after he'd regained himself. 'Ah, well I'm looking past it for my birthday.' He invented with a more believable nod. 'I don't want to let it ruin things.' He added and his friends nodded although didn't act as friendly as they normally did just yet.

'Hello' Luna smiled as he approached the group and stepped closer to Draco, reaching out to hold his hand and gave it a small squeeze of greeting before turning to Harry. 'Happy Birthday, Harry'.

'Erm, thanks' Harry smiled but wasn't sure who she was although she appeared around Ginny's age.

Draco looked stunned by the contact but continued to play along, offering her a grin in return, but sorted through his memory for a name of the girl and if he should be recoiling at her touch as he would if Hermione had done such a thing.

Snape observed from a safe distance and watched the boys, surprised by Harry's shaky forgiveness of Ron and Hermione; but then again, he was always very forgiving and opened his heart too easily. Then he noticed the startled look on Draco's face when Luna approached and was further certain that something wasn't quite right with these boys.

--

The party progressed and still Snape watched, only making conversation with Mrs. Weasley occasionally. The teenagers ran around laughing and talking, just generally enjoying themselves. Snape was pleased to see Harry laughing and enjoying himself, even catching a smile or two from Draco. He wasn't entirely sure if he should be concerned or if they were merely going through a change. Or perhaps something had happened, because Draco had rarely smiled properly since that day and he seemed more...uptight and cautious. Harry was similar, but more as though he was confused rather than distant.

'Is sir ready for Harry Potter's cake?' Dobby approached Snape and his words pulled the man from his observations and the poorly concealed his smile upon his face dissappeared. Snape glanced at the elf and nodded wordlessly. He waited for Dobby to retrieve the large cake they had both made in the shape of a snitch with a large “13” and “Harry” on the front along with “Happy Birthday” down at the bottom in smaller, iced lettering.

The round of “Happy Birthday” was sung while Harry stood grinning from ear to ear near the table, watching the burning cake approach. He (really, it needs the break, I feel) blew out the candles, silently wishing that things could really be this way for him every year. Afterwards his grin only widened at the sight of the table piled high with gifts just for him.

'Thank you!' Harry smiled around at everyone, not even noticing Draco as he stood towards the back with his arms crossed and eyebrows narrowed. He tore open the first golden-wrapped gift and saw a book from Hermione and a hand-made card. He thanked her and stared at his first real gift with pride before moving on to the next, carefully taking his time and thanking each person he received something from.

Draco watched Snape approach and point out something to Harry but he could no longer see from his position behind the group of friends. Feeling awkward, Draco slowly stepped backwards and retreated to the house, not caring if anyone noticed him leaving early. Although sadly enough...no one did notice at all.

He frowned as he stepped inside the house and had a drink from the kitchen before making his way to his room, where he slumped on the bed. He had mocked Harry earlier about the grinning and stated he looked as though he hadn't had a party before, concealing the fact that Draco himself hadn't ever had such a party like that one before. Sure, his parents had held celebration events, but they would be in the form of a dinner party with influential people, almost all adults he barely knew or had never met. There had been no balloons, joyous presents (only practical gifts or money), or even friends to gather around and cheer him. Not even when he had been five did his parents indulge in such an event.

Just like several moments in the past, Draco scowled and envied Harry for having something worthwhile or enhancing that he didn't. Harry was outside with friends and family, eating cake and opening gifts while Draco sat up in his room and just felt too detached to the situation, as though he was intruding.


'Thanks! Bye!' Harry waved as his friends left alongside a still-cheering Hagrid and then sank into a chair, feeling rather overwhelmed but his grin remained.

'Have you seen you brother?' Snape approached, looking around for Draco.

'Huh?' Harry glanced up. 'Oh, um...no, I haven't seen him.' He recovered and tried to recall when he'd last seen Draco but the blonde had disappeared sometime around when the cake had come out over an hour ago. He had loved the party, right down to the piñata that when broken had snitch-shaped candies flying around their ankles. In all honestly, he really didn't care where Draco was and had barely even thought about him the entire afternoon.

'I'm here.' Draco said as he approached with his hands in his pockets and his hair mildly more tussled than he preferred it. 'I, ah, wasn't feeling too well.' He lied and Harry shrugged while turning to help Snape and Dobby clean up. Draco sat in a chair and pulled out his wand, flicking it to pop a balloon, making the others jump.

Snape continued gathering plates until Draco popped another balloon and he frowned at the boy, wondering what was going on. He sighed and raised his own wand, watching as Draco was surprised when the balloons started untying and deflating since they had been blown up by magic and not actual air.

'Oh.' Was all he said, although Snape could have sworn the boy had known this before, since it was often his job to deflate the balloons in the past.


Later that evening Snape continued with their tradition of having a more personal gathering after their pizza dinner (the meal as per Harry's request) and even brought out another cake, this one not decorated and smothered in chocolate. Another around of singing ensued, in which Draco felt further awkward in joining in with this time, and then Harry cut the cake.

Harry glanced at Draco, who was staring at the cake as though it took great effort to do so, although he looked additionally unsettled and had been rather quiet since that morning. Harry frowned lightly and reached for a plate.

'Here.' He offered it to Draco, flashing an encouraging smile as he tried to include him more, feeling a little guilty for not even caring before. They may be enemies but Harry didn't feel right in not including him as he should, especially if in this world they had grown up as brothers.

Draco glanced up at Harry and accepted the plate. 'Thanks.' He added politely and sighed while reaching for a fork, but knew it was rude to eat before everyone was served and so he waited.

'Did you enjoy your birthday?' Snape inquired.

'Yes, very much. Thank you.' Harry grinned at the man he had once hated venomously while glancing at the boy he had once loathed. 'Both of you.' He added.

Draco raised his eyebrows and cleared his throat at those words, even if he felt entirely undeserving of them since he hadn't really done anything at all and even left early. 'Sure, I'm just...glad, it was great.' He muttered and then dug his spoon into his slice of chocolate cake and ate in silence.

'Dobby!' Harry called and the elf appeared, only mildly fighting Harry's efforts to include him as well with a slice of cake of his own. Snape glanced at his boys and the honored elf, thinking that things were a bit off, but otherwise calm.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review and I shall have another chapter up soon enough!
-Mel :)
The Snitch Wars by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks again to my wonderful beta ForgottenEllipses!

Harry rolled over onto his side as he dreamed of a lit birthday cake with his parents smiling faces and laughter surrounding him. He felt someone nudging him and pulling him away from the pleasant dream that could have been a memory for all he knew.

'Dobby is to wake Harry Potter sir.' The elf nudged him again.

'Another five minutes.' Harry groaned as his dream started to slip away even while he turned away from the house-elf again.

Dobby nodded and turned only to reappear into Draco's bedroom. The elf frowned at the memory of having to do this many times over, back when he had served the Malfoy family. He hadn't forgotten the tricks to getting the blonde boy up, but Dobby also remembered how much of a morning person Draco could be...not.

'Young Malfoy sir is to wake up now.' Dobby said. He nudged Draco just as he had Harry; he wondered if anything would be different, but the hand that swung his way and caught him on the side of the face proved otherwise. Dobby yelped shrilly as he fell to the floor even though Draco still barely noticed.
'Go away, elf.' came the grunted reply to accompany the contact.

'You is to get up.' Dobby said again. He scrambled to his feet and kept his distance but was determined to wake the boy if for nothing other than payback; he knew he couldn’t be punished this time.

--

Harry groaned when Dobby nudged him again several minutes later but his dream was already gone so he decided to get up. Yawning, he sat upright and noticed the relief in Dobby's expression as well as posture, although the elf was rubbing his arm as though his entire body ached. Harry remembered Draco's trained behavior towards the elf but was too tired to deal with it right now, although he mentally promised Dobby that he would.

Yawning again, Harry left his room after he'd changed his clothes and almost bumped into Draco as he too exited his bedroom. After they muttered incoherent words and frowned some more, the blonde boy moved past the other and they made their way downstairs for breakfast. As expected, Dobby was already there, but so was Snape. The dark-clothed man sat at the end of the table with a copy of the Daily Prophet placed in front of him in which he read casually.

'Good morning.' He greeted them once they stepped into the room but only received a language of grunts and groans in return. The man was entirely amused that the boys were simply so tired.

'I assume neither of you received a required length of rest the previous night?' Snape inquired although he knew it was true. Of course, he didn't know why...he was oblivious to the fact that Harry had been rethinking things involving his birthday in enjoyment, while Draco pondered his entire relationship with his parents and the nature of his upbringing.

'Nnnn.' Harry slumped his head forward and rested his forehead against his arms atop the table. Draco stifled another yawn and reached for his fork and didn't even care about the state of his tousled hair.

Snape chuckled lightly and remembered the last time they'd been like that, at about the age of five or six, when they had been so sure that they could stay up until midnight but had passed out in exhaustion by 11:30pm. The morning result was quite the same. Although back then, being younger, the boys had simply gone back to bed, whereas the two teens slowly started to wake properly once they began eating their breakfast and sipping their juice.

'I am required in my study.' Snape rose from the table shortly after and gave each boy a lingering glance before he walked away, leaving them to their thoughts and mood.

After they'd had their fill of pancakes, the boys rose and made their way into the living room where they lounged about for a moment and just waited for their sleepiness to subside.

'You know, you shouldn't be so mean to Dobby,' Harry frowned. He finally decided to bring up the topic now that he didn't feel so much like a zombie. 'It's just his job and your father was cruel to him'.

'Shut up, Potter,' Draco snarled with the mentioning of his father. 'The elf should be used to it, it's a slave!'

'Your father is violent and cruel,' Harry scowled. 'And you're just pathetic.' He stood and walked away. He heard Draco mutter angrily behind him and Harry was prepared to grab his wand in defense if he had to.

'Pathetic?' Draco reached for his wand. 'Pathetic?' He repeated and rose from his seat just as Harry turned to face him with his own wand gripped in his hand. After assessing the situation, Draco lowered his wand slightly and just scowled even deeper.

'And you think you're any better, eh Scarhead?' He retorted angrily. Hadn't he just been thinking last night that his upbringing wasn't as he had thought it to be? Add house-elf mistreatment to the list. Although it may be true, Draco hated Harry for being the one to point it out in his face.

'I'm better than you,' Harry frowned but noticed the lowering of the wand. 'At least I don't bully people just because I feel like it. And I don't look up to a Death Eater.' He added, having learnt of the term mere weeks previous to their odd arrival in this make-believe world of weirdness.

Draco clenched his wand tighter in his hand. And yet, he still hesitated in firing a hex because he wasn't sure how this Snape would react to having his living room demolished in the process of their duel.

'Famous Harry Potter; do you honestly believe you're so flawless? That you could do no wrong?' Draco bit back. 'You didn't even do anything worth making you legendary! Your filthy mudblood mother did. And besides...it's because of me you're even on the Quidditch team!'

Harry ground his teeth at Draco's comment about his mother and now realized why Draco was yet to aim a spell at him.

'Shut up, Malfoy!' He snapped. 'Don't say that about my mother. And so what about the team? I'm still a better Seeker than you'll ever be'.

'Ha! Not bloody likely.' Draco snorted angrily.

'Oh yeah?' Harry deepened his frown.

Draco glared at him for a moment and then lowered his wand further. 'Prove it.' He sneered arrogantly and crossed his arms, now feeling rather confident as he ignored the fact that Harry had certainly beaten him last year during their first game; he blamed that on the rouge bludger that had been chasing Potter.

'What?' Harry looked startled for a moment.

'Get your broom, Potter,' Draco rolled his eyes. 'And prove it'.

'Fine!' He snapped and shoved past the taller blonde. Harry headed upstairs to his room where he grabbed his Nimbus 2000 along with a snitch he'd discovered lying about previously.

He met Draco downstairs and outside where the Slytherin boy was already a few feet above the ground on his own Nimbus 2001.

'Consider this a rematch from last year.' Draco called over to him as they hovered many feet apart. Their glares barely ceased with the refreshed feeling of being in the air once again; it was something they had both been deprived of lately but hadn't paid much attention until now.

'So you want to lose again?' Harry couldn't help but mock in return; that comment about his mother wasn't going to be forgiven.

'Hardly. This will be a real test of talent. I'll prove I'm the best Seeker.' Draco rolled his eyes and noticed the snitch in Harry's hand.

Each boy might be competitive and prepared to play dangerously to fight out who was indeed best; however, neither could deny how pleased they were to have their brooms and be able to soar through the air again.

'Still think you can catch me, Potter?' Draco threw over his shoulder as he swooped towards the snitch. It was a very different game compared to one played under supervision in the Quidditch pitch, because of the unlimited grounds, trees and many other obstacles, as well as their vast space surrounding them in each direction. It was only then that the boys both realized and appreciated the large lawns of Prince Manor.


Snape made his way outside towards the back of the Manor. He had finally caught a break in his work in which he could spend a moment outdoors. He glanced over the lawn but was startled when two blurs flew through the air and after a moment he came to realize it was Harry and Draco on their brooms. He was surprised – not to see them playing or using foolishness in their loops and such, but instead by the fierceness of their game play.

Snape stood there and watched for a moment. He noticed the golden snitch they were both tied for in reaching; each arm shoved the other away while trying to capture the prize.

There was no warning when they both aimed towards one side and then crashed into a tree with a tangle of twigs, leaves and limbs. The snitch hit a branch and fell to the ground weakly, not yet captured.

Snape rushed over to check on his sons in concern; he saw each boy shove the other off as they stood and examined their brooms. Draco and Harry were unaware of the man as they were more relieved that each of their brooms was okay and still in one piece, along with their bones.

'Idiot children, what were you thinking?' Snape scowled and they glanced at him as though wondering who he was for a moment. He noticed the expressions they wore, for his concerned tone was something they had not been expecting. That was the final straw.

'Inside. Now.' Snape ordered and pointed towards the house while he swished his wand so their brooms flew themselves back to their owners’ room. 'We are going to have a little talk.' He added and eyed the boys as they sullenly walked past him, their heads ducked while rubbing elbows and arms which were no doubt bruised from their impact.

As he ignored the ranting and hurried whispers from the teens, Snape followed them inside the house. He was unsurprised to find that Dobby had once again disappeared, no doubt cleaning someplace or else searching for discarded clothing which the elf could request to own and wear.

'Sit.' Snape directed and each boy sat as far as they could from the other upon a sofa in the living room, their backs to the family portrait hanging on the wall behind them.

'Sorry.' Harry mumbled as he rubbed his arm.

'Yeah.' Draco added and ducked his head lightly, although his annoyance was still quite clear.

'This little attitude has been prolonged far enough.' Snape sat in an armchair across from them and studied the expression of each son and yet again noticed the differences from the ones he'd raised.

'I am displeased to notice that it appears as though you are each two entirely different boys,' He told them and watched as they glanced at each other, looking caught and unsure. 'I demand an explanation as to what has caused this to occur'.

'Nothing.' Draco replied. He always beat Harry in recovering and came up with excuses as though it was sworn truth; of course, the Slytherin was far more acclimated to lying than Harry and felt far less guilt in doing so.

'I have considered that this is merely a phrase,' Snape stated aloud. 'Perhaps a teenage-related change. However, I do not believe in such uncertainty. Do not lie to me; I am surely no fool...something had occurred in my absence that day. Do tell.'

'No, it's really nothing,' Harry insisted. 'We just had a disagreement.'

'Yeah.' Draco nodded.

'And why don't I believe that?' Snape narrowed his eyes. He knew they were lying and yet he was unable to think of any other possible scenarios that could cause this, or a reason for them to hide it from him. Unless he really was overreacting?

'Well, it's the truth.' Draco scowled expertly and crossed his arms. Harry glanced at him and caught on. The raven-haired boy tried to look annoyed that Snape was questioning them rather than being surprised that it had taken Snape this long to catch onto their behavior; surely he hadn't been ignoring it up until now? Since when would he pass up such a chance?

'Hm.' Snape said with an inaudible sigh. He wasn't sure what else to say since they were steadfastly not confiding in him. What had changed? Or...what had gone wrong?

'Is this, perhaps, a rebellion to the fact that I remain in my office for lengthy periods of the day?' Snape inquired. He didn't realize that this was the one aspect which they were actually relieved about.

'I understand we have discussed this numerous times in the past; my constant absence has caused many issues which are no fault but my own .' Snape admitted. 'However, such behavior will not be tolerated. I work from home to provide for our lives and if you wished to see me, it would have been a simple matter of knocking'.

Draco and Harry straightened to look at each other, alarmed that there was a minor flaw in their “perfect world” here – that while they may have a family and home...apparently their “father” was still seemingly absent. However, it did provide them with an excellent excuse for their rivalry.

'Well, it's still not fair.' Draco huffed and Harry once again caught on and nodded in agreement. He pushed his glasses higher on his nose and lowered his head as if in sadness, when in reality he was merely disappointed that even here he still couldn't get the perfect family situation he dreamed of.

'It is time for lunch,' Snape sighed. 'I assure you that this matter will once again be thoroughly discussed, but at a later date'.

And how awkward that will be, thought Harry.

'No!' He insisted and jumped upright while Draco did the same, although mostly as a reflexive response to Harry's sudden action. 'It's okay really, we'll try...We're just a little...um...'

'We, ah, miss you sometimes.' Draco added in and withheld a grimace at voicing such words to anyone. Although given the situation, it seemed to fit.

'I see.' Snape nodded. 'Then I shall attempt to make further appearances.' He said, but still narrowed his eyes at them. But it fit perfectly with how they were acting, or at least the moods associated with it – the competitiveness and constant deflecting of each other's rightful place on occasions.

'Right.' Draco said and Harry merely nodded. And that was when Dobby popped into view; always with such strange timings.

'I suggest that you each prepare some lunch,' Snape said to the boys as he paused in the doorway. 'You could each do with more meat on your bones.' He added and glanced down at the elf while the teens blushed at his comment.

'Dobby, perhaps would like to assist me?' He asked. 'I have a task which could certainly benefit from the opinion of a house-elf.'

'Dobby is honored sir!' The elf grinned. 'Dobby is happy to help Master Snape sir.’

'Honestly,' Draco shook his head as Snape and Dobby left the room, disappearing down a set of stairs. 'Dobby is living it up, here'.

'Yeah,' Harry sighed. 'This place certainly suits him the most'.

'And way to go, Scarhead...getting us caught like that!' Draco shoved him lightly.

'Hey!' Harry shoved back and retaliated with his own arguments the entire way to the kitchen. They may have agreed on a truce previously, but their rivalry continued to step in and cause more trouble, which made things even more difficult for them to manage. Although neither boy could truly comprehend that perhaps getting along could see them leaving the place...Or perhaps, something was going to give them a reason to want to stay?

To be continued...
End Notes:
My beta will be away for about 2 weeks before the next chapter can be up, but please don't let that hope anyone back from reviewing! There will be a "snitch war" related chapter in each part of this series.
Please sedn feedback, you all know how much I love it an how motivating it is!
-Mel :)
Only Half by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Finally got this back from my wonderful beta ForgottenElipses, RL got in the way. Enjoy!

The rest of the day had passed mostly without interest; Draco and Harry tried to formulate their “truce” once again when they agreed that all their arguing was not helping their situation at all and they were still had yet to figure out how they got there. And how to get back.

Since he hadn't stayed up late the night before, Harry awoke early the following morning – through the habit that had he'd been ingrained with by the Dursleys. He sighed and climbed out of bed to pull on a pair of average slacks and a blue shirt He ignored his hair and brushed his teeth before he made his way downstairs. He didn't fail to notice the firmly shut door of Draco's bedroom, and didn't even consider waking the blonde.

Along the way, Harry noticed a small hint of unnatural light streaming along the corridor he'd seen Snape vanish to the previous day. After traversing several flights of stairs and while during which he wondered how the light had traveled that far, Harry paused outside a partially ajar door just as the light moved. He peered carefully at what Snape was doing; he would not be able to satisfy his curiosity as to what the man did at this hour, without having a look first. But the sight that met Harry when he gazed cautiously into the room suddenly changed everything for the raven-haired boy.

Snape sat at his desk in his usual attire (minus the robes), and was using the desk lamp to see inside several drawers. He switched it off and then just sat there in his chair while he remained oblivious to Harry's curious watching. The man looked downright...miserable, Harry realized in surprise as he continued to observe.

Snape sighed and flipped through some pictures while he ignored the few that slipped from his grasp and fell onto the floor. Harry looked at the ones on the floor and felt something a sharp pang inside him as they were photos of himself and Draco when they'd been younger in this world. The one on top was of them sitting on the grass at the age of six; each grinned at the camera whilst having their arms around each other's shoulders.

Harry heard a sound and quickly hid. After a moment of caution, he retreated back downstairs with the new thoughts and conflicted emotions that rushed through his mind.
Of course, this waisn't the life he and Draco knew...but yet even if it wasn't entirely real (as Dobby had suggested) to them, it was still somewhat real to Snape; they were his sons.
Harry paused and glanced over towards the family portrait that still hung importantlyprominently on the living room wall. That was the first time in which he'd really taken in that image. He and saw how happy they were, and suddenly Harry caught the glimpse of the loving family they were meant to be.

Surprised that it had never occurred to him before (most likely it was his rivalry with Draco that blinded himit), Harry decided to take advantage of the situation while he could. He was suddenly filled with the desire to make this Snape happy since the man was nothing alike the Potions Master he knew. The Snape here was actually nice to him. Harry nodded to himself, pleased with that choice and turned turned quickly into the kitchen in order to make breakfast.


'You is to wake up now, Draco Malfoy sir.' Dobby said loudly and pulled Draco from his would-be-peaceful slumber.

Draco rolled over and cast the elf a threatening glare but was surprised by at the smirk upon Dobby's dirty face and the firmness in his crossed arms.

'Harry Potter sir has given Dobby permission to use cold water if Dobby needs to, sir.' He added and Draco just growled louder; he knew that both Dobby and Harry would carry through with such a threat if he didn't get up right away.

Draco climbed out of bed and muttered under his breath about elves and Potters while he grabbed a random green shirt and a pair of dark pants. After he pulled a light jumper over his head, Draco brushed his hair, attached his wand to the holster and made his way downstairs where a delicious scent filled his nostrils and...Harry was the one at the stove.

'Morning.' Harry said to him casually, although it still sounded rather forced.

'Hardly.' Draco rolled his eyes and did not exchange a further greeting. Instead he sneered at the breakfast Harry was cooking and shook his head.

'Suck up.' He snorted, but made his way to the table and sat down in his usual seat in the ajoint dining room that faced the kitchen where Harry was finishing the eggs beside Dobby, who was gathering plates and glasses.

'Dobby, could you please wake Snape?' Harry asked the elf, who bowed and popped out of the room in obedient response.

Harry knew Snape was actually already awake, but decided to act as though he'd never seen the man earlier, even though the memory played across his mind the entire time.

Snape made his way into the room shortly thereafter, this time he wore the robes the boys knew so well and his expression was plain. He glanced at Harry in surprise while as he sat down at the table and moved some black hair from his face.

'And what do we owe this surprise?' Snape inquired. He looked rather confused and yet equally amused with Harry as he and Dobby placed plates on the table as well as glasses of freshly-squeezed orange juice.

'A lot, I'm sure.' Draco murmured under his breath, since he presumed that Harry was expecting something grand in return for his act of servitude. Although Lluckily, Snape didn't appear to have heard him.

'Nothing.' Harry offered the man a smile. He tried desperately and with fierce determination to disconnect this nicer, more caring man with the mean teacher he knew. Even if it was just for the duration of their stay, Harry forced himself to think that this Snape was his father.

'Hm, not bad Potter.' Draco said when Harry sat down and the blonde tasted the bacon and eggs alongside the tomato. He was clearly shocked that Harry could cook really well, even as he expertly hid it from Snape.

'Thanks.' Harry smiled briefly and wondered if there was a hidden insult within his words; because he couldn't remember if Draco had ever complimented him before.

Snape cast Draco an odd look upon hearing him call the other boy by his last old last name, something the blonde appeared to notice this time.

'Er, Harry,' Draco corrected when he'd seen the look. 'Guess we should stop teasing each other, I already lost the bet.' He covered quickly with a believable lie and Snape shrugged it off as he turned back towards Harry.

'Really, what inspired this?' Snape wondered although he appeared to be much more content than they'd seen him since they had arrived.

'I, uh...' Harry sighed and prepared himself to act as warmly as he possibly could manage towards the man, even if he already felt utterly embarrassed, stupid and awkward about the entire situation. The worst that could happen is that Draco will laugh at you, Harry told himself. Yes, not too bad...until they returned to their world. Oh well, he can could chalk it up to “playing along” with this place. Something he knew Draco wasn't really putting efforts into.

'I just...think you're a good father.' Harry said and blushed, but a gagging sound reached their ears and the pair turned to look at Draco. The blonde grasped blindly for his juice before he could turn blue, having choked in reaction to Harry's unexpected words.

'I'm...fine.' He gasped out. Draco ducked his head in his own embarrassment and also in attempt to conceal his shock.

'Thank you, Harry.' Snape smiled at his son. 'I appreciate it.'

'No problem...D-Dad.' Harry sighed and relaxed his tense posture.

'Excuse me.' Draco said and stood abruptly. He made his way into the kitchen to compose himself while also pouring himself a glass of water. He wasn't sure if he should laugh, cry, or just gag some more.

Harry, feeling more confident and at ease with Draco out of the way, turned to Snape again and reminded himself of the difference in this man compared to the one he knew.

'And I'm also awfully sorry for ruining your garden. I didn't mean to and really this fighting with Draco is...erm, childish?' He tried to think of what Snape would call it. 'But we're really lucky to have you and we know you care about us a lot.' Harry added and blushed again.

'You're welcome, although I consider myself the fortunate one.' Snape placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, surprising the boy with how...warm, he was. Not by gesture, but Harry thought the mean dungeon bat would be as cold as the vampire he was described to be. His hands were warm, soft and...gentle? Surely this was merely a world thing, because he could not imagine that the Snape from their world would be anything alike this. A shame, really.

'Thanks.' Harry ducked his head and stood to get more juice but Snape stood also and reached to give him an embracing hug, which shockinged Harry at how natural the man was with the action - as though this happened often. Sensing it was part of his “playing along”, Harry accepted the hug and after a moment of weirdness, he felt himself returning it.

'I leave for two minutes.' Draco said from the doorway. He eyed Harry, mostly with envy since Snape was his godfather. And of course...Harry Potter had to get everything he didn't.

They pulled back and while Harry stared holes into the floor, Snape merely rolled his eyes and placed a hand on Draco's shoulder.

'Would you prefer a hug as well, Draco?' Snape asked. He had been only half teasing, but Draco nearly choked on mere oxygen at those words.

'Uh, no, I'm good.' Draco cleared his throat and glanced away; he now blushed redder than Harry.

Snape smirked and turned away from them both. He sat back down and began eating breakfast again, although he was in a rather a hurry to get back to his work and earn more time with them, now that they were more alike the boys he knew.

--

After he'd eaten, Snape helped Dobby clear away the plates and then left for his study.

Harry felt smug in his accomplishment to make this Snape happier, although the hug had surprised him as much as the man's alarmingly warm hands had.

'What are you playing at, Potter?' Draco snarled as they entered the living room and he reached out to grab the other boy's arm to pull him back when he went to pass.

'Is it really so hard to believe that I may actually have no motivatione that concerns you?' Harry rolled his eyes and yanked his forearm back.

'Yes,' Draco scowled. 'What's the point of this?'

'Have a look! Don't you see what's going on here?' Harry whispered, although his tone was still reasonably louder than he had intended it to be.

'What are you talking about?' Draco asked and crossed his arms in annoyance.

'Look at the family portrait, Draco.' Harry sighed and brushed him off with an exasperated frown. He turned to head upstairs to his room and to read a book to pass some time, and ponder on theat strange man that had apparently raised them there.

Draco dropped his arms and turned towards the portrait hanging on the living room wall above the fireplace; no doubt it was charmed with protections and to remain in place. He narrowed his eyes and stepped closer; all he saw was two boys and their adoptive father, each happier than they were in the world he knew.

He tipped his head to the side and continued to stare at it as he tried to decipher the hidden meaning in which Harry seemed to notice.

Even after ten whole minutes...Draco just didn't see it.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review and share your thoughts!
-Mel
A Slice of Honesty by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks as always to my wonderful beta ForgottenEllipses!

Although Harry had retreated to his room and was content to remain there, Draco soon grew bored inside his own bedroom and ventured out to purposefully annoy Harry into leaving the room. He told himself he wasn't seeking Harry's company at all, merely easing away the increased boredom that threatened to swallow him into insanity with every passing minute.

The boys lounged around in the library, not really reading any books, but if things became uncomfortably quiet then there was always the option of browsing the shelves to be void of the other; even if for a mere moment.

That was where the conversation appeared to be heading when the boys stared arguing about their envy of Dobby's happiness; the elf simply enjoyed himself too much in this strange world. Harry sensed a frustrating situation and quickly rectified it by changing the topic to something tamer.

'I wonder if the school is still around in this place.' Harry shrugged. 'I mean, we've gone back a month or so in time since our world, right? Or maybe it's simply not here.'

'Honestly, you're so thick sometimes,' Draco rolled his eyes and shook his head. 'The pictures...we're in Hogwarts robes, Harry.' He sighed and examined a book on a small nearby table.

Harry smiled mischievously when he realized that Draco had called him “Harry” instead of “Potter”. At least things were calmer now, or at least they'd given up trying to attack and blame the other at every corner.

Draco's eyes sudden widen as he pondered upon something else and gulped. 'Ah, wow...I just realized, I mean I knew it before but...' He shook his head to cease his rambling and got his head together before he rephrased his words.

'Here we're brothers. I mean, we've probably spent our entire lives together, playing and learning and stuff.' Draco grimaced and Harry didn't appear to be too thrilled by that idea either.

'I wonder if we could have been friends.' Draco mused aloud. 'Even despite the different houses...we did it here, didn't we?'

'I don't know.' Harry shrugged and was silent for a moment. 'Um, but I was nearly in Slytherin.' He admitted without glancing up to see Draco's look of horror. 'Maybe if I had been sorted first...well, just maybe.'

'Bloody hell.' Draco breathed under his breath, and was actually startled when Dobby popped into view before them, which caused Harry to snort in amusement.

'Dobby is wondering if sirs is wanting to make a cake with Dobby?' The elf asked.

'Sure.' Harry stood right away since he was keen for the interruption and something to do.

'It's not as though there is anything else to occupy our time with.' Draco reluctantly followed the pair down to the kitchens.

'Where did you learn how to cook, anyhow?' He asked Harry but shook his head before the boy could answer. 'The muggles, probably'.

'Yes.' Harry glanced sideways at him while Dobby prepared the ingredients. 'Um, they used to make me cook for them, as a chore.' He revealed. Harry decided to take the first risky step, although he really had no idea what motivated him to do so. 'I was ah, their cook and cleaner, I suppose.' Harry shrugged.

Draco looked at him in surprise but it quickly turned to an expression of anger and even mild sympathy. 'Stupid muggles,' He muttered with a shake of his head. 'Turning a wizard into a house-elf.' Draco growled. 'And you never fought back?'

'How could I?' Harry answered with a sigh, mostly just relieved that Draco wasn't mocking him for it or worst. 'I didn't know why they always called me a “freak” until I was 11.' He frowned. 'But so what? I'm sure it could have been worse.' He dismissed it and went about adding the flour into a silver bowl.

'What could be worse?' Draco pulled a disgusted face while he reached for a large spoon when Harry requested it.

While they worked, Snape passed by the kitchen and paused on the spot to stare as the three made a cake together. He smiled in remembrance and gratitude when he moved on to continue with his work; he needed to mark which potions required brewing before they were sent off to the customers that promised good money for them.

Snape barely took another step before he hesitated again when he heard Harry's hysterical laughter and Draco's angry complaints (something about flour getting all over him). Draco yelled at first, which soon turned into muttered words, until he too started laughing and Harry was the one complaining. The other sounds were mostly likely made by Dobby, as the elf tried to save the rest of the flour. Their laughter was a wondrous sound to Snape; he even left the door of his study ajar so that he could hear the one sound that didn't interrupt his precise work and concentration.


Once the cake was made, cooked, and cooled, the two boys grabbed a plate each and moved to a spot of grass outside on the lawn since it was a rather clear day and not too warm. They sat there and ate in silence until the lighthearted mood from earlier in the kitchen returned.

'Nice cake.' Harry swallowed some more of the chocolate icing that he favored. 'Although this sort of reminds me of the one Dobby dropped on those company guests my uncle had been meeting with.'

'I can't understand how you put up with them for so long.' Draco shook his head. 'It's disgusting!'

'To you, maybe.' Harry rolled his eyes. 'Although it had its moments...like when I set a Python loose at a muggle zoo once,' He smirked at the memory. 'Locked my cousin in its place too'.

Draco swallowed his bite of cake before he could laugh with more dignity and tried to picture such a scene.

'Oh, yeah...because you can talk to snakes?' Draco remembered. 'When did it happen?'

'The zoo?' Harry questioned and Draco nodded. 'About a month before I got my letter.'

This only seemed to only amuse Draco further.

'I think I would actually like to see that. I bet your cousin freaked out, the filthy muggle'.

'Yeah, he started crying.' Harry smirked. 'But haven't you had moments like that? I mean, accidental magic and all?'

'Sure.' Draco shrugged with a casual roll of his eyes. 'Of course. Nothing really cool though, just summoning stuff and not being hurt when falling, things like that. Although, come to think of it...' He placed the plate beside him on the grass as he was finished. 'I believe I turned father's hair orange once when I was six'.

Harry doubled over in laughter as he tried to imagine such a scene: Lucius Malfoy with bright orange hair. 'Why?' He gasped out between sniggers.

Draco shrugged since he wasn't really able to remember the entire reasoning behind the situation he'd chosen to share. 'Something about not getting a real broom, I think'.

'I made my hair grow back to normal when my aunt cut it horribly, but I suppose apart from making the glass disappear that day at the zoo...it wasn't all that interesting either.' Harry said. 'Mostly just because I didn't know what was going on and it wasn't...well, normal, you know?'

'For the muggles, yeah.' Draco frowned. 'Did Dobby put something in the cake?'

Harry glanced at him and thought the other boy was feeling ill or something. 'Probably, if you called him by his name...wait, why?' He noticed the odd look on Draco's face.

'Nothing' Draco sighed and leaned back. 'It's just...we're getting along'.

'Oh.' Harry smirked in amusement. Of course, getting along with him had made Draco become anxious that something bad had happened to cause it.

'And we're not friends,' Harry added with a small smirk. 'We're just each understanding the other a little, not becoming friends. We're acquaintances for while we're stuck here'.

'Hm.' Draco nodded and appeared satisfied with that silent agreement for now; not friends, just...not enemies.

'So, tell me more about what it was like growing up with magic.' Harry said. 'I mean, I've seen Ron's place and that was great, but still'.

Draco snorted at that. 'Weasley? That's hardly a proper reference, Harry'.

'Then give me a better one'.

'I can see why the hat thought to put you in Slytherin.' Draco lay back on the grass instead of simply being propped up on his elbows. 'And why didn't it, if I may ask?'

'I asked it not to.' Harry shrugged.

'Because of me?' Draco inquired, because he had picked up the hint previous about him being the one to influence Harry's sorting.

'Yeah.' Harry frowned. 'I consider it for the best, though'.

'Sorry.' Draco mumbled and Harry stared at him in shock. 'Not like that, Potter.' He rolled his eyes in reaction to the expression he was given. 'Merely, had I known, I...well I don't recall ever actually doing anything to deprive you of the Slytherin house. I offered my hand in friendship...that's about it.' He narrowed his eyes as he tried to work out what exactly he had done that had such an impact on which house Harry had ended up in.

'You insulted my first friend.' Harry corrected with a frown. 'And then Ron mentioned something about all witches and wizards that go bad started in Slytherin. I guess I was just...I don't know, didn't want to be in a house like that.'

'Weasley is a bigger git then I thought.' Draco seemed angered by Harry's words. 'Not all of them are in Slytherin! Look at Sirius Black - a Gryffindor who worked for the Dark Lord, and now he is in Azkaban for it. Or those Ravenclaw twins some hundreds of years ago that killed nine muggles and kidnapped an auror? There have been some people fighting for your side that are from Slytherin. Honestly, Weasley's as prejudiced towards Slytherin as we are towards mudbloods'.

'So you admit you're prejudiced?' Harry raised an eyebrow.

Draco merely shrugged at that and gazed upwards at the clear sky as he looked for a way to change the topic, but nothing came of use. 'Did you say Weasley was your first friend?' He glanced at Harry when he re-thought upon that fact. He noticed the uncomfortable look on the raven-haired boy's face, and rolled his eyes.

'Fine, but if it makes you feel any better - not that I care - I don't think I've had any real friends before Hogwarts either.' Draco stared up at the small sections of clouds and endless blue again.

'Not even Crabbe or Goyle?' Harry asked curiously. 'They follow your around enough, like moping guard dogs.'

Draco snorted in amusement at that and tried to hide his grin, something Harry hadn't been expecting. 'They were told to by their fathers; it's an influence thing. Anyhow, I don't really like Crabbe but Gregory's not too bad, I suppose. I was actually referring to Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini; they don't hang around me because they have to.'

'And Pansy?' Harry teased.

'Urgh! New topic.' Draco grimaced and unsuccessfully hid his chuckle.

'Gladly.' Harry laughed and sighed as he turned to look up at the clouds as well. 'Any ideas on how to get back?'

'Since the last time you asked me?' Draco drawled in a tone Harry was more familiar with, as opposed to his laughter and non-git behaviour. 'No, I think I would have mentioned it by now.'

'Whatever.' Harry lay down against the cool grass as well, and while he still kept his distance, he realized that he wasn't as hateful towards the blonde anymore, for reasons unknown to him.

'You never gave me a better reference.' He remembered as he adjusted his glasses and placed his hands behind his head. Harry tried to figure out if the cloud he watched was more like a dragon or a snitch while he wanted for the other boy to reply.

Draco frowned as though he'd hoped Harry would have forgotten. 'Another time then. I'm tiring of your company.' He said but Harry noticed the humor in his words and the noncommittal way that Draco shrugged when he spoke.

And so they fell into a comfortable silence; each pondered on their new discoveries about the other...the one they had both once sworn they hated and would never see in a different light.

'Dobby is glad.' The elf commented to himself as he nibbled on some cake and watched the pair from where he was standing on a seat near the kitchen window.

'About what?' Snape asked as he'd overheard the elf talking to himself.

'Dobby is pleased to see that Harry Potter sir and Draco Malfoy sir is getting along again, Mister Snape.' Dobby explained as he turned to look at the man.

'As am I.' Snape glanced at them through the window as well. 'And Dobby, I am aware that you're not bonded to us as your wizarding family and that you're a free-elf, but please do try to remember that it's Harry and Draco Snape.' He sighed. 'They removed their past names quite a long time ago.'

'Dobby is most sorry, sir.' The elf bowed but a small smirk appeared upon his face which he concealed, went unnoticed. 'I is to remember that for the future.'

Snape nodded and went to call the boys in for lunch, although he doubted that they would be very hungry after the cake. Speaking of which, he reached for a fork and tried some of the aforementioned cake and was surprised at how nice it was.

'Good cake.' Snape said and left the kitchen.

'Dobby's specialty.' The elf said and turned back towards the kitchen window. Of course, he hadn't added anything into the cake since the boys had mostly made it; however, you wouldn't notice, seeing as it somehow had an effect on them anyway. Or perhaps there was nothing else at work apart from Draco and Harry having the natural ability to get along even though they disguised it as “understanding” or dominant sense of curiosity.

Dobby smiled again and popped out of the sparkling clean kitchen to join them, intent on gathering their plates to wash them before he prepared a small lunch.

The sun was high in the sky, which was clear and blue, but before long darkened clouds swept into view and everyone was quickly sheltered inside. Small raindrops fell to the ground and against the windowpanes of the large house and outdoor shed. The small droplets of water, light rumble of thunder, and darkened sky erased all signs of the calm, clear, and sunny day that it had once been.

Anything in that world was surely able to change just as fast as the weather; washing away the sun and bringing about darker, more destructive times.

To be continued...
End Notes:
There are only 15 chapters in this part 1 on the series, so any requests for the boys while they're in this "semi-perfect" world...let me know now or else the chance may be missed.
Please review and share your thoughts.
When It Rains by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long delay! Am back on track now, so enjoy!
Snape glanced up from the Daily Prophet that morning and smiled in amusement as his gaze trailed to the other end of the library where the boys sat on the same window seat in the same positions, their elbows against the windowsill while their chins rested atop their hands, eyes gazing outwards at the pouring rain outside. They had been this way for over half an hour, since breakfast concluded and Snape had ordered them to stay inside while it rained.

'This is boring,' Draco complained for the fifth time, as he grew tired of staring at the dark grounds made even darker clouds by the ominous clouds hiding away the sun and pouring down water, causing everything to look somewhat depressive.

'You broke the silence.' Harry frowned in accusation as he turned his head to glare at the other boy, but Draco merely rolled his eyes and moved around to face Snape.

'Isn't there anything we can do besides just sit here?' Draco asked. 'Can't you cast an atmospheric charm on it or something?' He added with a scowl, forgetting that the spell can only be used to stop charmed weather, not real.

Snape didn't answer. He merely shook his head and glanced down at his paper again, still entirely amused as he always was when it rained, ever since the boys had turned twelve-years-old. (Before that age they would just run around and play games indoors; clearly they'd outgrown that entertainment now.)

'Chess?' Harry turned away from the never-changing scenery outside and offered an alternative activity to Draco.

'Please.' Draco nodded and swished his wand to summon Harry's chess set, thinking that Harry would have gone to get it, and he had no patience on this particular day.

'I demand you to be white.'

'You can't demand anything.' Harry frowned as he sat on the floor in front of him, several feet from where Snape read his paper casually, but with a concealed smirk.

'I want to be black.' Draco stated his point again.

'Fine, whatever.' Harry rolled his eyes. 'It suits you anyhow.'

'How so?' Draco asked but picked up on what Harry meant; he was supporting the dark side and Harry the light. 'That's not true.' He scowled but the other boy had said nothing else and since Harry was white, he just made his first move.

--

One hour, three victories and a tie later, Draco and Harry had moved on to gobstones while Snape left for his study and the work that kept him busy. But that game soon became tiresome as well. Feeling desperate, with the rain still pouring outside, they laid with their stomachs against the perfectly clean wooden floor and worked on their homework.

'No, three more inches on the effects,' Draco noticed Harry's transfiguration assignment. 'It's more important to describe what could go wrong rather than how to get it right. It means you understand what you're doing and the cautions involved.'

'Oh, right. Erm, thanks.' Harry nodded and read over his second paragraph. He paused for a moment and glanced over at what Draco was doing. 'You should also describe where they came from, not just the year they arrived.' He pointed to Draco's own work. 'Helps, you know...explain it.'

'Hm.' Draco replied but reached for his textbook to locate further background information on a great wizard, who had defeated three dark wizards that had been intent on taking over a town back several hundred years ago.

When they had completed almost all of their work (not that it would make much of a difference if it was never to be marked), the boys made their way downstairs and had sandwiches for lunch. Afterwards they groaned with the realization that it was still raining.

'Alright, that does it!' Draco grumbled as he got to his feet and pulled out his wand.

'What are you doing, Malfoy?' Harry sighed as he recalled an hour previous when the blonde had threatened to hex the rain if it didn't stop.

'Come on. We're going to duel.' Draco decided, and proceeded to search for a room to use until he found an empty one on the third floor.

'No snakes this time.' Harry added as he pulled out his own wand and found that he didn't really care if they were caught - the boredom was getting to him too.

'As if. I know better now.' Draco rolled his eyes and stood in front of him with his wand raised to his face. 'You'll just talk to them anyway.' He added as they bowed and turned to walk several feet away. Once they had counted the correct number of steps, they each turned and raised their wands in preparation.

'No cheating.' Harry added and glared at the other boy's eye roll but felt calmer when Draco nodded in agreement; not that the Slytherin could be entirely trusted.

'1...' Harry narrowed his eyes at Draco and tried not to ponder on what would happen if Snape came across them dueling inside one of his rooms.

'2...' Draco added and tensed his posture as he thought of a spell to gleefully aim at Harry without doing too much damage.

'3!' Harry called out and flicked his wand. 'Aguamenti!' He couldn't resist and a jet of water burst from his wand; it hit Draco in the chest and drenched him with water.

'Oh, really funny, Potter!' Draco growled. He felt further annoyed because he should have seen the prank coming ever since he first complained about the rain outside.

'Obscuro!' He said the spell in retaliation and a black blindfold wrapped itself around Harry's head.

'Hey!' Harry reached up to remove the black object that was disabling his sight but it remained firm over his eyes and no amount of tugging would remove it.

'No fair!'

'Petrificus totalus!' Draco added while he ignored the previous complaint from Harry. But the raven-haired boy was still able to react just as quickly in response, even if he still couldn't see.

'Protego!' He said and the shield erupted from his wand which effectively blocked Draco's spell, although the collision caused both boys to be propelled several feet backwards onto the floor.

Harry reached up, yanked the blindfold from his eyes and fixed his glasses still clutching his wand in hand. Draco rubbed his elbow and got to his feet again to dust off his robes while he glared daggers at Harry. Both boys paused and turned towards the door when they heard the unmistakable yet equally strange sound of clapping. And there stood Snape as he applauded them, although neither boy could deny that the man did not look even the slightest bit amused.

'I believe it is a rule within this household that neither of you are to duel without my supervision?' Snape asked. His arms were now crossed as he stared at them with a raised eyebrow that reminded Harry strongly of each time he tried to explain his way out of trouble when Snape had been convinced he was the cause of it.

'Sorry.' Harry ducked his head. He felt foolish because he had thought there was only a slim chance that Snape would have caught them. It was a strange moment though because he had almost forgotten the way Snape used to look at him all the time, as though he was nothing but trouble wrapped in arrogance and stupidity. In this world, he wasn't looked at like that...except right now, which even Harry had to admit was rather justified at the moment.

'Yeah.' Draco added to Harry's apology without actually saying so himself. 'But we were so bored!' He explained with a slight tone of exasperation.

'As I effectively predicted.' Snape nodded and uncrossed his arms. 'However, I would hardly refer to this as dueling. More like child's-play.' He smirked, as his words had caused the boys to scowl as though insulted.

'I do, however, applaud Draco's blindfolding strategy and Harry's quick shield.' He commented and actually looked impressed, which ceased their frowns until the man approached them with his own wand raised.

'Perhaps I could make this more of a...game?' Snape asked and they appeared to be interested in his suggestion as they waited for him to explain. Instead however, he raised his wand and aimed an identical spell at them both, even though he never said the word aloud for them to hear.

'Langlock!'

'Umf!' Harry yelped as he felt his tongue glue itself to the top of his mouth. Draco grunted in complaint from the other side of the room and apparently had the same difficulties as Harry.

'I find that non-verbal spells are more prudent in surprising your opponent.' Snape instructed. 'If you are so determined to duel without my supervision, perhaps this ought to teach you that such an action will. Not. Be. Tolerated.' He added and watched as they tried to fight against the spell he'd created himself.

'Tarantallegra!' He cast the leg-dancing spell at them both and watched the boy struggle and attempt to plead with him to stop. Snape had to impress somehow that it was very dangerous to do these things behind his back because they just didn't seem to understand. They usually had more common sense and awareness when it came to the stricter, more important rules of the house, but somehow the rain had not only filled them with boredom, but they appeared to have forgotten some key aspects of their upbringing.

'Are we satisfied?' Snape asked firmly and wanted to just stop each spell he had cast on them and enjoy his time with his sons while on a short work break. But their safety had to come first. He saw them nodding their heads furiously in answer to his question, and it was then that he could finally put an end to all of the spells.

'Ah!' Draco gasped in relief and sat heavily on the floor.

'Sorry.' Harry added again to Snape while he too collapsed, wiping sweat from his forehead with the sleeve of his jumper.

'As you should be.' Snape nodded and approached them after he had put his wand away. He reached a hand out to Harry and pulled him to his feet, before he did the same with Draco.

'I do not mind such practices; however, it must be done under my supervision. Understand?' He questioned sternly and they nodded. 'Imagine if you were both under the effects of the spells in which I just used and I wasn't around to stop them? Do you think they would just wear off? What if the spells performed had much more dire consequences than the ones I cast?'

'Didn't think of that.' Draco frowned and lowered his gaze slightly. He felt guilty for not having realized or asked, but this wasn't the Snape he was familiar with. He hadn't thought that they would have been allowed to duel if he had sought the man's permission beforehand.

'Yeah, we're really sorry.' Harry added and did mean it. Normally he would not feel as embarrassed as he did, but this Snape had that certain authority that other adults lacked, even the Snape of their world. It was the same “authority” Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had, but Harry was unable to connect the cause of the feeling to the effects of a parental figure.

'I know.' Snape placed a hand on each of their shoulders and they both looked up at him, wondering what he was going to say next or if they were going to be punished for their actions.

'Now, I have twenty minutes. Go ahead and duel while I supervise.' Snape sighed and the boys grinned up at him. Draco and Harry returned to their dueling positions again, although they were keener to impress this time; soon it became a drawn-out competition to knock the other down or cause him to look silly in front of Snape. After a while it was just fun and they didn't want it to end, even if they were getting tired and running out of spells to cast that wouldn't do as much damage. They were both disappointed when Snape soon announced that he had to return to his work.

'What does he do? I mean, I heard Hagrid; he clearly works at Hogwarts still, but what does he do in that study all day?' Harry frowned as they put their wands away and headed into the kitchen for a drink. Snape had told them that the dueling session was over when he left, since he wouldn't be there to supervise and neither boy was going to do so without permission again.

'I dunno. Potions theories, maybe.' Draco shrugged. 'And I think he accepts owl orders and stuff too, for the extra money.' He said.

'So I guess here we really would hardly see him.' Harry mused softly with a sigh while Draco looked over at him. As Harry spoke again, the blonde remained silent and stared into the liquid contained in his glass, realizing he'd been thinking the same thing:

'No wonder we're supposed to be so close.'


It was past two o'clock in the afternoon and still the rain rushed down outside, which continued to make everything darker and colder. Harry sat in the living room, huddled in a blanket that he had retrieved from his bedroom while he waited for Draco to return from his shower. When he did, they could play another game of chess by the fireplace, even though the appeal it provided was nothing more than its ability to pass the time.

Harry was amused as he remembered Draco being thrown off his feet by his spell and the resulted look of pride in Snape's eyes as he watched. It had left a strange feeling behind, as though he wanted to make the man happy; the same man who had previously made him miserable. Why did Harry care so much if they weren't staying? Although he'd noticed Draco trying to impress the man as well...surely the competition was mutual in motivation?

When Draco finally returned, dressed in long pants and a sweater, to where Harry had been waiting, they played for a while. But as usual, it became of little interest by the end of the second game.

Unable to seek entertainment or become interested in anything else, the boys decided to be somewhat riskier and ventured to explore the house; technically it was their home and along with Snape, they lived there too. Harry brought his blanket with him and continued to cuddle it close as they walked and peeked into various rooms. A majority of them were warded against their attempted entrances or just plain locked.

--

After a relatively short time, the boys came across a rather curious room around a corner from the stairs that led to their bedrooms. It caught their attention based on the small hand prints placed below the door, as though they had both touched the wood while their hands had been covered in paint. One was red and the other green; it wasn't difficult to guess whose each print had belonged to. It was strange seeing further evidence that they had grown up in this world when they really hadn't; the prints had to belong to toddlers based on their size and the way in which they had been smudged against the wood.

As he opened the door, Harry peeked inside and his eyes widened as it appeared to be a storage room, only much more interesting. There were boxes, shelves, and cabinets all around the large room, each piled quite high.

'What is all this junk?' Draco frowned as he stepped past Harry. He soon realized that it wasn't actually rubbish when he glanced into a box and saw that old toys that were still in good condition, but they'd surely grown out of them by now. There was a red train that issued small clouds of smoke, Merlin action figures with a sparking wands, round Quaffle-inspired bouncing balls, building blocks that changed colours (such as putting a yellow atop a blue would cause it to turn green), a fake wand that lit up when waved, and various other objects that amused them to see. Harry was especially interested since while Draco may have had some or most of these things during his magical and wealthy childhood, he'd certainly only ever had muggle toys. Actually, no; Harry had only ever had discarded and broken muggle toys.

'It's hard to believe, and yet there is so much evidence.' Draco said as he dropped a spinning snitch back into a box labeled “Draco, age 6”.

'Yeah,' Harry sighed. He also tried to grasp the idea of growing up with Draco as his brother and Snape as a father. He felt as though he was getting used to it even though he knew that he really wasn't. It still seemed far too unnatural and odd to Harry.

A wordless moment swept over the room and prevented them from getting an extended opportunity to look at all the things - the photos and evidence of their supposed past. They didn't get the chance to find out what kind of lives they were meant to have lived because there was sudden silence; no sound of water against the walls, windows, or distant roof around them.

'It's over!' Draco breathed loudly in relief and looked upwards as though he expected to see the clear, blue sky shining down on him.

The boys dropped what they had been holding and hurriedly left the room behind; they both silently vowed to return and explore their past at some point. At that moment they merely cared for the fact that the rain had stopped and every window they passed expressed the view of the sun coming out from behind the dark clouds.

Snape heard the running feet and yelling, a sound he was familiar with since he had first gained himself two sons. He peeked out of his study in time to see the grinning boys run past, cheering about going outside and being “free”. He shook his head in amusement and returned to his work while he tried not to imagine the kind of trouble those two boys were going to get themselves into. And they always did; one would say it's in their blood. He just called it their natural talent. Because to Snape, no matter how moody, stressful or annoying they could be...his sons were perfect.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!
Touch a Snowflake by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Sorry this chapter is a little shorter than I had intended, but the next one is loads longer and I had to split some of it to form this chapter otherwise it would be too much at once.
Enjoy!
And thanks to my wonderful beta, as always..ForgottenEllipses

Harry always woke early. Of the many chores the Dursleys had expected him to complete since he had been a younger child, one of those included making their breakfast.

Even during his time at Hogwarts this trained habit remained but lagged by an hour or two due to the nightmares that had increased as he'd been able to mentally add a face to the one who had killed his parents; the one who caused that flash of green light and screams. When he woke at the Dursleys he had to get up and do chores. When he woke at Hogwarts he had breakfast and classes to prepare for. And in this new world...Harry was confused. He wasn't aware of how long they'd been there for, since he hadn't been counting, but even before he opened his eyes he knew that he was still there.

Something about his bedroom made him feel different, something no other place had, not even his dormitory at Hogwarts which he considered his second home. Or maybe that was what this place felt like? Home. But that was wrong and Harry knew it. During the summer he lived with his aunt, uncle and cousin in Privet Drive; during the school terms he lived in the Gryffindor tower at Hogwarts.

He had been at each of these other “homes” for more than a year and yet this place...it hadn't even been a month and he was attached.

Opening his eyes for the first time since he had awoken, Harry rolled over to face his window and began to wonder why they had been brought to this place, one he now didn't want to leave. His eyes widened and he flung the covers off his bed even as he felt unnaturally colder than he had previous mornings, even yesterday when it had been raining all day.

'Wow!' Harry grinned as he stared outside and rushed to his wardrobe where he grabbed a shirt, pants, and several jumpers. He dressed quickly and rushed from his bedroom, not even caring as the wooden door rebounded against the wall.

He hurried down the stairs and entered the kitchen but no one was there - it was a little too soon for breakfast just yet - although he spotted Dobby squeezing oranges and the elf was covered in many different coloured hats and socks.

'Good morning Harry Potter, sir.' Dobby said. 'You is looking for Master Snape and Draco Malfoy?'

'Yes.' Harry replied without thinking, his grin still fixated on his face as he itched to go outside.

'They is in the library.' Dobby replied but Harry was gone before he could say anything else.

Harry almost missed the library door as he reached the correct floor but gathered himself and entered the room. Dobby had said that both Snape and Draco where there and yet the place was empty.

'Hello?' He called out.

'Over here.' Draco's voice reached him and Harry turned to see the blonde boy sitting in a darker corner with his blankets wrapped around himself. He was seated in a large armchair and stared out at the nearest window; he too had first spotted the change when he had woken up.

'It's snowing.' Harry grinned.

'I've noticed.' Draco rolled his eyes as he observed the white substance that coated every inch of the grounds as well as every tree in sight. 'It started about an hour ago'.

'How long have you been up?' Harry asked. He had caught a glimpse of his bedside clock and it was almost six-thirty.

'Since sunrise.' Draco shrugged. 'Are you looking for Snape?'

'Yeah.' Harry nodded and wondered why Draco had been up so early since he was known to sleep in but brushed it off.

'He said we could go outdoors once the snow stops.' Draco answered as he looked over at Harry. 'I assume you were seeking his permission like a good little boy?' He sneered.

'Nothing you say is going to matter to me today, Malfoy. I've never really experienced snow before but I'm not gonna miss that chance now.' Harry said and turned to head outside and enjoy the snow, in which was something he'd never been able to do before. Not even at Hogwarts where whenever it snowed it always seemed he was being hounded by Hermione to work on his homework and study.

Draco left the armchair and his blankets behind as he stepped towards the large window and pressed a hand against the cool glass as he stared out onto the white yard.

'I've always loved the snow,' Draco said aloud to no one. He closed his eyes and thought of the earliest memory he had involving snow...

--

He had been about five or six. His mother was planning for a large dinner function several nights away and was busy. He'd been playing in his room when he spotted the first snowfall. Like the eager child he had once been, Draco ran from his room and sought out his mother.

'Not now, Draco.' She had told him instead. 'I am busy. Take the house-elf.'

'Okay, Mummy.' Draco grinned.

'Draco.' Her warning tone reached him and he paused to look at her with a guilty expression.

'Yes?' He asked her politely although he really just wanted to go play in the snow.

'You're a big boy now,' Narcissa told him. 'What are you to refer to me as?'

'Oh, sorry Mother.' Draco smiled and looked around for their house-elf. 'Hoppy!' He called and the elf appeared.

'Yes, young master?' The aging elf asked with a bow.

'Mother said I can go play outside in the snow and you have to take me.' He said with a firm expression he'd seen his father use when he told someone something important.

'Of course, young master Malfoy.' The elf bowed again and in an instant Draco was wrapped up warmly and they made their way outdoors.

Draco ran around and threw snowballs at the elf, who squealed and ran away but seemed to be enjoying herself. He had been chasing her when she suddenly stopped and a shadow fell over him.

'What is the meaning of this?' A voice asked. Draco quickly turned to where his father stood in a traveling cloak with his usual business attire, carrying thick books along with his cane.

'I was just playing, Father.' Draco said and ducked his head as he felt as though he had done something wrong.

'With a house-elf?' Lucius frowned in disapproval and ignored the elf's hurried apologies.

'Mother was busy.' Draco said and stared at the white ground and his boots. 'I have no one else to play with, Father.' He added.

'Well, then perhaps it is time you stop wasting your time with foolish games and gain a real hobby.' Lucius sighed. 'Come.'

'But I don't wanna go inside yet, Father!' Draco insisted and looked up but his father had stuck his cane into the snow where it stayed and opened his arms to his son. 'Father?'

'I said: come.' Lucius repeated and Draco stepped forward.

Lucius picked his son up and raised him into the air so that Draco was sitting atop his shoulders.

'What do you see?' Lucius asked him.

'Wow!' Draco grinned as he had never been this high before. 'Everything, father!'

'One day, everything here will be yours.' Lucius told him. 'Do you understand this?'

'Yes, Father.' Draco said but was distracted as he looked around and saw how amazing everything looked up high. 'This is wicked!'

'Yes.' Lucius replied but no longer sounded interested as he grabbed his son gently and placed him back on the ground.

'I am going to invest in a more appropriate activity for you if you insist on running around aimlessly with a house-elf.' Lucius frowned at the creature again and looked down at his innocent-eyed son who grinned up at him with renewed admiration.

'What would you like?'

'I want to fly!' Draco announced. 'May I have a broom please, father?'

'That's my boy.' Lucius ruffled his hair lightly and made his way towards the grand doors of the manor.

'I will return shortly; your aim is faulty.' He added and refereed to the way his son had thrown snowballs at the house-elf but frequently missed.

Draco watched his father leave and was excited to actually spend some time playing with him, and that he was getting a broom and that one day he would own everything Malfoy. He glanced at the elf and realized that his father gave him wondrous things when he didn't play with the elf so maybe it was a bad thing.

'I really love snow.' The young boy grinned.

-- 

'Is Draco Malfoy sir going outside?' Dobby's voice pulled Draco from his memory and he turned quickly to glare at the house-elf.

'Of course I am, you idiot!' Draco scowled and Dobby recoiled back out of reflex. Draco headed for the door but paused and looked at Dobby.

'I expect my blankets back on my bed when I return.'

'Dobby is a free elf.' Dobby frowned at him.

'I know,' Draco rolled his eyes and walked out of the library.

He made his way down the grand staircase and opened the door to look for Harry. Draco spotted the raven-haired boy several meters away in the distance where he was attempting to lift a third ball of snow onto the other two. Guessing he was making a snow-wizard, Draco approached and offered to help him lift the “head”.

'Thanks,' Harry grinned in relief while he accepted the offer with a nod.


Snape stretched and glanced over his notes upon parchment again. He checked everything was in order and then made his way downstairs where he spotted the boys playing outside and Dobby was once again by the kitchen window and watching as they adding the final touches to their snow-wizard which now had a crooked hat, broomstick, wand and rough robes.

'They is having fun,' Dobby said when he noticed Snape.

'I can see that.' Snape smiled lightly when Harry suddenly flung a snowball at Draco's face when the blonde said something and pointed to the snow-wizard's hat. Draco started yelling at him but Harry just threw another. Within minutes it had evolved into a full-on snowball war.

'How long have they been out in the weather?' Snape questioned the elf.

'Almost two hours, Master Snape, sir.' Dobby answered.

Snape sighed and made his way to the front door and opened it. He stepped outside and winced against the cold but he was used to it. He called over to the boys.

'I must insist you each retreat indoors,' Snape told them. 'Any longer and you both ought to catch a cold.'

As expected, his words went ignored and the boys continued to throw snowballs, all while taunting each other with friendly competition and laughing.

Snape narrowed his eyes but sighed and made his way inside, something else that went unnoticed by the boys.

'I shall be in my private labs if you require me.' Snape said to Dobby and mentally composed a list of all the potions he was sure to need: fever reducing, cold remedies, and so on.

He could just demand the boys to come indoors and warm up by the fire, but all the same he didn't want to interrupt their fun. However, it went went unnoticed by Snape that the boys weren't just playing but rather were taking the snowball war very seriously.

To Snape it looked like his sons enjoying each others' company in the snow; he would never be aware of how inaccurate that observation was.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review! The next chapter will be up the moment I get it back from my wonderful beta.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2086