When Little Means a Lot by watercrystals
Summary: Voldemort was truly gone because of Severus' intelligence and Harry's luck. Facing the crying child of 15months, Snape doesn't want to entrust him to anyone else. Taking a child into his care so soon after Lily's death and with little to provide for him...it appeared to be a disaster in the making. Seven years later and Dumbledore can no longer stand it and goes to check on the pair. Nothing could prepare him for what he finds.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: When Little Means a Lot
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2660 Read: 9462 Published: 24 Feb 2010 Updated: 24 Feb 2010
Story Notes:

Just an idea I'd had and wanted to write. This is my first Potions and Snitches one-shot, yay!

When Little Means a Lot by watercrystals

He had tracked down Horcruxes for months and destroyed them, he had fought endless duels with Death Eaters trying to betray him to the Dark Lord, he had gone to save Lily from a terrible fate and even after a year of endless work, fighting and desperation...he had been too late.

Falling to his knees to sob the loss of his beloved Lily, Severus Snape began to realize that he was not the only one crying. Turning quickly, he spotted Harry for the first time, standing in his crib with a bleeding forehead and tear-streaked face. He was confused and in pain while watching the stranger in dark clothes who was crying just as he was.

Without a thought, Severus felt the need to protect the child from the sight of his fallen mother and picked him up, turning his face away from her body.

Everything was a rush and a blur, each time Severus thought back to this moment. It was about all he could remember: his exhausting work for a year to redeem himself for causing Lily to be in danger to begin with and than not being able to save her. He spotted her son and held him until he fell asleep. If he had known what would have happened, maybe he would have handed the boy over to Dumbledore when he showed up. Maybe he would have considered giving the boy a different life, a better guardian and a warmer household.

But he could not. He clutched to the child as though the boy was a piece of Lily's soul and in a way he was...the last remaining piece. Arguments followed, fights ensured, and tears were shredded in desperation. In the end...he won. The boy was blood adopted by himself a week later and he was able to take him home, even though he had been watching over him that entire stressful week at Hogwarts after turning down the offer to work there was Potion Master.

Severus sank into his cramped couch and placed Harry in sitting position on the floor, well out of reach so he could just hang his head and feel miserable. Everything had gone too fast and he had received very little rest. He was exhausted to the brink of collapsing, he was emotionally wrecked to the corner of suicide and he was above all confusion to the edge of reasoning. And that blasted brat was crying again.

'Harry, SHUT UP!' Severus erupted as he glared at the boy who was wailing in that offending, high-pitched cry. His enraged and yet sudden voice caused the toddler to go quiet instantly even though his lip still trembled and his tears continued to fall.

Severus felt no guilt and just lowered his head again, regretting everything he had done in the last week involving the child. He was too noisy, too helpless and too innocent for him to care for and raise. But he couldn't give him back now, it would be like abandoning his own son to strangers. Darn blood adoption and manipulating Dumbledore.

He heard a soft sound but ignored it, hoping it was someone very evil who has come to murder him and take away his misery. Although during his little imagination Harry was nowhere in sight so it surely couldn't come true since he didn't wish harm upon the boy...he merely wanted him to cease his noise and dependence.

He felt something touch his knee and glanced over to see that Harry had crawled over to him and was now using his knee to stand upright. They stared at each other for a long moment; obsidian eyes staring into emerald ones. Wordlessly, Snape sniffed and reached for the child, pulling him close to his chest and hugging him for all the warmth and love the boy contained.

Time was immeasurable to how long they sat like that until Severus was too tired and could take it no more. He lay back on the couch and took Harry with him, allowing the sleepy boy to rest on his chest.

That was the last time Albus Dumbledore had seen either of the boys. He had come through the fireplace to check on them since he strongly feared for Severus' mental state and for Harry's well-being. But upon seeing them so snuggled together in that loving embrace, he had no doubt. Leaving silently, neither knew he had even been there.


Seven years later and the headmaster of Hogwarts was very worried. Although he wasn't entirely sure which aspect of the situation caused him to worry as deeply as he did. Perhaps because he had scarcely heard from either of the boys since that late afternoon, maybe it was because he also knew Severus did not have a well-paying job or was receiving anything that could give him a supporting income. Or was it the fact that he noticed a first-year boy arriving at Hogwarts last week that looked alike Severus in a way and brought about the memories of Severus' own childhood.

Abuse, mistreatment, poorly income, small house, little support...needless to say that Severus had it rough, but now while Dumbledore trusted the man he also feared that it had been too soon after Lily's death in which he had a crying and demanding child placed into his care.

Recruiting Minerva into the situation, the pair decided to pay them a long-overdue visit, praying that things were going well, although they still doubted that Severus would ever physically harm the boy...still they worried about of Harry being neglected or unloved. It was also no secret that Severus had hated James and the boy had looked so much alike him. Fears turned to desperation...they set off the following day, even making an effort to approach via the door rather than fireplace (Severus had shut off all incoming through floo anyhow).

 

'And if things are not good for the boy?' Minerva questioned as Dumbledore raised a hand to knock.

'Kindly and professionally, we remove the boy from his care' Dumbledore said as though it was simple and not as if Severus would fight until death or Azkaban against them. They honestly did not know...perhaps the sour, grieving man had changed also? Unlikely, but possible.

Knock knock!

The adult listened carefully and already received a bad sign when a barking voice was heard from within.

'Well? Answer the door, boy!' Severus snapped.

'Sorry!' Harry jumped up from the floor and ran over to the door, pulling it open to reveal two strangers although they were clearly not muggles. 'Who are you?' He asked with a suspicious but still kind expression and tone.

'Good Morning Harry, I am Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry' Dumbledore smiled although the boy's appearance shocked him. 'And this is Minerva McGonagall, deputy headmistress and Head of Gryffindor house'.

'My mother was in Gryffindor' Harry smiled and opened the door wider. 'Come in, please'.

'Thank you' Minerva smiled at him being so polite. 'But we haven't seen you since you were a baby, stand still so we can see you' She said.

'Oh, sorry' Harry blushed as he had been fidgeting a rather lot. He placed his hands by his side and smiled up at them so they could examine him.

'What have you done to the boy?' Minerva gasped at Severus, who was sitting in an armchair nearby and ignoring them entirely.

'What did you expect?' Was the only answer Severus gave.

Dumbledore nodded and looked at Harry, taking in each aspect of his appearance. His black hair was a little long and messy but otherwise neatly brushed out of his face to clearly show his emerald eyes shining of innocence and friendliness, although he wore no glasses as they had expected him to. He was dressed in a pair of black pants which went all the way to his ankles and barely showed off his black shoes. He also wore a black shirt with a red, zip-up jacket over that in which had a small golden snitch printed on the front. At eight-years-old, he looked it; however a little on the skinnier side but otherwise healthy and certainly happy.

It was a shock because the boy was the complete opposite to what they had expected. His clothes were clean, as was his face and the boy appeared to be a spoiled pureblood rather than a once-orphaned half-blood living in an aged, dusty and dark household.

'If you wish to interrogate the boy, please do get on with it' Severus said and the other adults blinked out of their trance.

'He doesn't need glasses?' Was all Minerva could say.

'Oh no, I had them once' Harry answered instead. 'Dad didn't like them though and invented a potion to fix my eyes. He had to blind a rat to test it though' The boy frowned. 'But it worked and I haven't had troubles since!'

'When was this?' Dumbledore wondered.

'I was three' Harry shrugged.

'Harry? May I see your bedroom?' Dumbledore asked, not liking the stance Severus was giving off or the distance he appeared to be keeping. Something had given him a cause for concern and he was determined to figure out what it was.

Harry opened his mouth to answer but glanced at Snape first. Although the man never glanced up, he nodded wordlessly and the boy turned to lead them upstairs.

--

The stairs creaked slightly under their feet and the walls looked like the pain had just fallen off with age. They came to a closed door with chipped wood and a dented doorknob. It was bare and dull, just like the hallway around it.

Harry led them to the door but looked hesitant in opening it.

'A-are you sure you wanna see?' He asked nervously and the adults glanced at each other.

'Yes Harry' Dumbledore nodded. 'Please'.

Harry ducked his head and sighed. 'Sorry, but it's not real clean' He mumbled and opened the door, giving the adults a full view of his small room.

There was a bed with a red and green striped blanket over the top, a desk with quills, parchment and a few books cluttered atop it alongside a desk lamp, the drawers were beside the wardrobe and the window had blue curtains hanging there. The walls were very light silver and the floor a creme carpet. Pictures were stuck all around the room, showing a castle, a red train, snitches and pictures of some places Harry had been to.

'Oh my' McGonagall gasped when she saw the room and even Dumbledore was rather surprised...how had Severus paid for all this? Unless most of it was transfiguration and magic.

'Harry!' Snape's voice echoed from downstairs.

'Oh!' Harry gasped in surprised and rushed from the room, ran down the stairs and skidded to a stop at the bottom. After catching his breath, he approached his father but turned when the other pair came downstairs as well.

'What is the meaning of this?' Severus asked with a growl, turning to point at something on the floor, which appeared to be rat droppings.

'Oh no! Toby' Harry scowled and tapped his foot. A black rat poked his head out and than hurried over to Harry, who had crouched down to retrieve him and allow him to climb onto his shoulder.

'Look!' He turned with a grin towards Dumbledore. 'I found him outside a few months ago and dad wouldn't let me keep him but I promised to look after him and everything! But he kept biting and being really mean, dad didn't mean to say it but he said it reminded him of a man named Tobias so I called him Toby' Harry babbled while Severus glared at the creature as though it was Voldemort in disguise, or worst...James Potter. Although Dumbledore knew it was most likely caused by the name in which the boy had no idea of the meaning behind.

'And he looks like is is being well cared for' Dumbledore commented with an encouraging smile.

'I believe you have underestimated my ability to keep the boy alive' Severus said to them as he finally rose from his chair and stepped closer. He placed a hand on Harry's shoulder now that the rat was clutched in his hands and he was petting it.

'Yes, I do apologize' Dumbledore said.

'It wouldn't have come to this if you kept in touch once in a while' McGonagall added but kept her tone casual for Harry's sake.

'What absurd reason would I have to keep in contact?' Severus rolled his eyes. 'Now if you please, I was attempting to quiz Harry on his recent education in the fine art of potion making'.

'Of course' McGonagall commented.

'We shall be leaving now that we have found what we came for' Dumbledore said, noticing the dismissal and protective stance Severus was directing at them, his hand still on Harry's shoulder as though nervous about them taking him away.

'Oh, well bye' Harry waved cheerfully and smiled at them, reflecting Lily's warm smile with unintentionally ease.

'Yes, goodbye Harry' Dumbledore smiled back while McGonagall nodded. 'I shall be looking forward to seeing you at Hogwarts in a few years'.

'I can't wait!' Harry added.

'Does he meet your approval?' Severus asked and Dumbledore paused to glance at him, his eyebrow raised.

'Yes, more than I expected' The headmaster nodded. 'He is...loved'.

'What did you expect?' Severus said again although it wasn't at all a question, more of a dismissive remark indicating that there could be no other option for the child apart from the situation he is currently in.

'Farewell, for now' Dumbledore nodded to both boys.

The two adults left the house, still absorbing their discovering and finding it so hard to believe how happy, loved and healthy the boy appeared.

'What did they need?' Harry glanced up at his father, confused. 'They said they have what they came for but they didn't take anything, did they?'

'No' Severus replied. 'Sometimes knowledge is a far greater gift to behold' He answered with a small smile and placed his other hand on the boy's shoulder to steer him over to the fire where they had not been discussing the boy's education but instead going through a photo album that contained pictures of Lily and her time at Hogwarts.

Harry sat on his lap while holding the photo album (after returning Toby to his cage in the corner, of course) and leaned back against his father's chest lightly, still mesmerized by the moving pictures in front of them.

'I think I'm just like my mum' Harry said proudly as he touched a picture gently that was showing her vibrant smile and warm eyes.

'I agree'. Severus' lips turned upwards in a smile of his own while brushing a hand over Harry's head. They lived off basic food during their simple lifestyle; Harry only got a few gifts during festive times unless Severus could afford more and he didn't have a lot of friends since all other kids in the neighborhood were muggles and a lot older than him. And yet they were no less happier than families who had all they desired, because as long as they had each other and even if it was all they had...well sometimes a little can mean a lot.

He had lost Lily but she lived on inside Harry. His son.

The End.
End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you thought, it will motivate me to submit more on-shots in the future, that and feedback is always useful and enlightening to an author.
-Mel :)

I am now writing a sort of "prequal" to this one-shot although it must be read AFTER this one-shot. It will take my readers back to the beginning to see how the pair have come to this point. I will then write another afterwards in which will detail when Harry begins Hogwarts. Another, final one-shot will follow that.

Keep an eye out for: "When Little Means a Lot: The Journey to Become".


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2088