Just Harry by watercrystals
Summary: His full name was Harry Severus Evans. Aurors had saved him as a little boy and he had gone to live with his uncaring relatives until they left him at an orphanage three years ago. Now ten years old, Harry runs away to find his father even though he has no idea where Severus Snape lives. But can the man be there for his son when the boy needs him most? Can Harry finally have the family he longs for? He's not the boy-who-lived, nor does he have a destiny to defeat Voldemort...he's quite simply, just Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 29323 Read: 47359 Published: 26 May 2010 Updated: 10 Dec 2010
The Absence of Regret by watercrystals
The Holyhead Harpies had lost another player lately, as though he really bloody cared for the damn sport anyway. Severus grunted in annoyance and turned another page of the Daily Prophet, remembering a time when it was actually worth reading. He glanced with mild interest at a report on cauldron sales in Diagon Alley but still he didn't feel it as though it was actually worth his time.

Closing the newspaper, he paused and heard the unmistakable sound of someone knocking on his door. It wasn't thundering, yet still rather loud, surely made by someone smaller or with weak hands.

He let the newspaper bend and listened as another, somewhat more desperate knock followed. Severus pulled out his wand and hovered the paper over to the table near the kitchen and rose without making a single sound. All his skills and talent were going to waste with a single, curious knock at his door; not a spying mission or ascend into danger, merely an unexpected visitor. Severus frowned since he knew the person on the other side of the door may wish him harm, and what did he care for danger? He'd had enough of it already and he had been sorted into Slytherin, not Gryffindor.

There was a tap at the window next in which was not quite the right sound to be an owl delivering mail. Another knock at the door and Severus decided he may as well answer it and scowl at the person to leave him in peace. His life was not particularly eventful since he had decided to stop teaching for a while (his last term being the previews June). He spent most of his time visiting patients at St Mungo's, seeing his godson Draco Malfoy or else brewing potions of interest and experimenting with them.

Eager to silence the irritating knocking, Severus pulled open the door to reveal a boy in everyday clothes but with a warm hat on his head and gloves on his hands. Oh fancy that, it had been snowing...wonderful, Severus thought bitterly.

The boy turned around as though startled and stared at him. Severus gasped and stared at the child who looked far too familiar and his heart clenched painfully as he thought of his son.

The boy stepped closer and seemed ready to brave speech whereas Severus made no effort to either speak, move or else react in any way other than to simply stare at the child.

'H-hello.' The boy gasped out and still stared at him with matching eyes. It was then that he delivered the words in which stabbed at Severus like poisoned ice picks.

'I'm Harry Severus Evans.' He said and a moment passed before he spoke again. 'Are you my father?'

To Harry, the moment continued with silence, but to Severus, he heard everything; the question ringing in his ears, the thumping of his own heart, the soft breaths of wind around them, and the cries of a baby from his distant memory.

And all at once, everything gathered and his rational mind kicked in; his pain was shoved aside and back into the memories of his past where they belonged.

'You are Severus Snape, are you not?' Harry asked formally and anxiously bit his lip.

'I am.' Severus answered. He narrowed his eyes and ignored the relief that showed upon the boy's face with his simple response.

'Then you are my father.'

'In a matter of biologically speaking.' Severus frowned. 'Why are you here?'

'I...' Harry was a bit taken aback with the question but answered it the best he could. 'I wanted to find you. I know it's been a long time since you...since you left me at the orphanage, but surely things have changed now? We're family, right?'

Severus glanced around the street and noticed how empty it was. 'How did you get here?' He asked.

'I walked.' Harry said with a sigh. His hopes felt more crushed with the passing minutes.

'Where are your parents?' Severus asked firmly.

'Huh?' Harry frowned in surprise. 'My...? You're my father! I never got adopted or anything. I came from the orphanage because they wanted to send me away.'

'So you disobeyed their instructions and ran away?' Severus raised an eyebrow. He could not believe the boy since the orphanage was quite a distance away and it would have taken him at least three days straight to walk here.

'Are you under a misguided illusion that I would excuse your behaviour and rescue you from the consequences?'

'No!' Harry frowned with a sniff of sadness. 'I don't want to go to some stupid foster home or back to my aunt, not that she would want me anyway...I want to be with my real father!' He pleaded. 'I thought if I found you...you'd remember that you love me and...and maybe I could stay?'

'You thought wrong.' Severus answered. 'When I bestowed you upon them nine years ago, it was my request that you be placed into a caring household. You are a child; it is not your decision nor your right to decide your location of residence.'

Harry hug his head miserably and glanced towards the end of the street where the darkening sky was in clear sight along with the fading sun.

'Can I...can I just stay here until morning?' Harry asked sadly. 'I don't want to go back in the dark. Last night I had to sleep in an alley and it was really scary.'

Severus softened at those words and realized that the boy was indeed serious; he had come all this way just to find him.

'You may.' Severus answered and stepped aside so that the boy could come inside. Harry did so eagerly and rushed past him; he stared contently at the fireplace for a moment before he looked around the house with an expression of longing.

Severus shut the door and watched his son move towards the fireplace to get warm, looking a little pained but otherwise mentally exhausted. Harry glanced curiously at the moving front page of the Daily Prophet and just sat on the ground; he had seemingly forgotten about his father for a moment.

The shock began to fade and the pain became manageable. Finally Severus could make more sense of the situation and moved to glance down at the boy who looked up at him in return.

'You state that you had never been adopted?' Severus asked although he knew he had heard correctly. 'You have remained at the orphanage all this time?'

'No.' Harry shook his head. 'I stayed with my aunt, Petunia Dursley, for a while. But they got sick of my freakishness and sent me back. I was seven. I've been ay the orphanage for about three years but as usual, no one wants me.' He sighed and lowered his head while he rubbed his nose with the back of his hand.

'Freakishness?' Severus asked and his tone rose as he frowned. 'And they sent you to the Dursleys?' He scowled and moved to sink into his armchair.

'It seems that the fools at the orphanage are as incompetent as I had suspected.' Severus sighed.

'Why did you send me away?' Harry asked bravely and felt every bit hurt by the situation now. 'Don't you want me? Did I do something wrong?'

Severus looked at Harry as though the words stunned him and suddenly he appeared to be rather saddened as well.

'It was not a decision I wished to make.' Severus explained briefly as he stood upright. 'Nor do I regret it. You may spend the night here and I shall return you to the orphanage tomorrow morning, however do no indulge in ridiculous questions because I have no intention of answering them.'

Harry said nothing and just nodded his head miserably although he couldn't quite bring himself to dread the coming night nor regret his decision to come here. Severus stood and approached the kitchen but paused when he heard his son's words, feeling them like daggers to his heart.

'I guess I really am that awful. Making things disappear and weird stuff...no one wants me. I was only two and he had to get rid of me, and then seven when my aunt and uncle had enough of my weirdness and burden. No one would adopt me even though I tried to be nice.' He sniffed and attempted to fight back the sobs that threatened to consume him. 'Why did I even have to be born? It would save everyone so much trouble, even me.'

'That is not true.' Harry snapped up when his father spoke in a soft, injured voice. He was shocked to see the conflicted expression on the man's face.

'Did anyone inform you about what happened to your mother?' Severus asked and Harry shook his head while he wiped his eyes so Severus continued. 'I had hoped you would be adopted into a loving family in which would provide you with more than I can give. This was not always the case. When you were a toddler, the house where your mother lived with you was invaded.' He said in a strained voice.

'An evil man tortured your mother for information and intended on killing you both. A group of aurors saved you and I was informed that you had been injured as well, perhaps stripping you of all magical ability. Grieving and unable to care for you, I decided to provide you with an alternative life in which you deserved.'

'Auror? Magical ability?' Harry looked confused.

'An auror is like a police officer with the exception that they are wizards and witches.' Severus explained. 'You and I are wizards, therefore it was expected that you would be born with magical abilities also.'

'Was mum a...a witch?' Harry wondered.

'Yes.' Severus answered.

'And you didn't...I mean, you did love me? You just thought I would be better off with a different family?' Harry frowned as he worked it out.

'Yes.' Severus said again.

'But you're wrong!' Harry informed him firmly. 'I don't want to live anywhere else! I want to stay here with you. If you think you can't give me stuff everyone else can, well, it doesn't really matter to me. I've never had much before so if I can just have somewhere to sleep, food to eat and a bathroom to use, I promise I won't be a bother! Please let me stay.'

His offer seemed reasonable, Severus thought, although he wasn't sure if he could agree to those requests. The boy thought he could simply live here but it was certainly more complicated than that.

'I child such as yourself needs to be cared for by a capable adult.' Severus frowned. 'Simply providing you with those requests will do nothing other than to ensure that you will survive. You also require guidance, discipline, education and so forth.'

'I'll read books.' Harry insisted. 'I'll go to school!'

'And you expect to pay for those expenses on your own?' Severus raised an eyebrow. 'That is yet another responsibility in which is bestowed upon your parent or guardian.'

Harry said nothing for a moment and bit his lip as he pondered on his options. 'Well, can I still stay for a little bit then? I just want to get to know you.' He shrugged.

'And exactly how long is “a little bit” in your terms?' Severus questioned.

'I dunno, a couple of weeks? A month?' Harry felt he was getting his hopes too high.

'One week and you are gone.' Severus turned and headed into the kitchen. He looked around for something to feed the boy as he was no doubt hungry after all his walking, unless he had taken the bus like an intelligent person. Finding a slice of chocolate cake with chocolate icing, he placed it on a plate and poured a glass of milk.

'Eat.' Severus instructed as he hovered them over to the table with his wand.

Harry stared at the floating plate and glass for a moment before his stomach urged him forward and he sat down to eat eagerly while his father sat across from him.

Harry shoved a spoonful of cake into his mouth and than other before he paused to look up at his father. He just stared at the man for a moment and took in his features; his black hair, brown eyes alike his own, paled skin, large nose and an occasional crease of his expression as he stared back; apparently doing the same thing.

'Will you take me to see mum's grave?' Harry asked suddenly. 'I mean, if you have time. I would really like to see it.'

'I shall take you to see her.' Severus nodded and glanced pointedly at the plate so Harry quickly resumed his eating. Realizing that the boy was apparently starving, he returned to the kitchen and made some sandwiches as well.

--

Once Harry had eaten to his content, Severus showed him upstairs where the bathroom was and Harry showered while his father prepared somewhere for the boy to sleep.

'Was this your room?' Harry asked as he stepped into the room with an untidy bunk bed and a lot of clutter.

'No.' Severus said in a tone of offense. 'But it will suffice. Do not wander and keep your nose out of things you do not own.' He instructed before he moved to leave the room.

'Wait!' Harry called to him. Severus turned and noticed the anxious, almost fearful look on the boy's face.

'Could I...I mean...could I have a...a hug?' Harry blushed profoundly and stared at the floor. 'I don't know what it's like and I want to remember this...for-for when I have to leave.'

Severus stepped forward and allowed the boy to cling to him, not revealing that he had wanted to do so since the child had turned to stare at him as he'd opened the front door and seen him again for the first time in nine years. But it was a mistake. Once he placed his hands on the boy's back briefly and felt the boy snuggling against him, a flash of memories and emotions overcame Severus so hastily that he pulled back and left the room immediately.

Harry prepared for bed while Severus brewed a dreamless sleep potion to keep such things at bay.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review! :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2159