Just Harry by watercrystals
Summary: His full name was Harry Severus Evans. Aurors had saved him as a little boy and he had gone to live with his uncaring relatives until they left him at an orphanage three years ago. Now ten years old, Harry runs away to find his father even though he has no idea where Severus Snape lives. But can the man be there for his son when the boy needs him most? Can Harry finally have the family he longs for? He's not the boy-who-lived, nor does he have a destiny to defeat Voldemort...he's quite simply, just Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 29323 Read: 47359 Published: 26 May 2010 Updated: 10 Dec 2010
Departure by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Sorry if this chapter seems a little rushed, but it's hard putting four important days into one chapter! :P

'Harry!' The boy woke as his father called his name and he discovered that it was well into the morning now.

Yawning, Harry sat up and realized that he felt a lot stronger than the previous day, which was a great relief. He climbed out of bed and changed into a black shirt and jeans before he made his way downstairs and saw the pancakes sitting on the table waiting for him.

'You don't look like the cooking type.' Harry commented as he sat down and hesitatingly tasted the slightly disfigured pancakes but found that they were relatively nice.

'I'm not.' Severus frowned. 'That is a skill your mother possesses, I am merely...filling in for her.' He sighed.

'Well, they're really good.' Harry complimented and Severus nodded, keeping to himself that this was his second batch and he had tried quite hard to get them edible enough. Roasts and steamed food were fine, but anything beyond that and he was pulling out Lily's homemade cookbook and doing the best he could with a talent he doesn't have.

Severus sat across from Harry to read the Daily Prophet as he had already eaten and was not one to drink coffee. Lily may like the foul drink but he wasn't so much of going to inhale it.

'So um, what are we going to do?' Harry wondered after his fifth mouthful. 'I mean...for the four days and all.' He mumbled.

Severus didn't emerge from behind his newspaper and Harry paused with his eating to stare curiously at the moving front page, still being rather unfamiliar with magic.

'What would you like to do?' Severus wondered.

Harry thought hard for a moment. 'Uh, well I've always wanted to go to a zoo...or maybe, we could just...I dunno. What do people do with their families?' He grumbled.

Severus hated that Harry didn't know the answer to that question by the age he was at now.

'The zoo is satisfactory.' Severus noticed the silence and glanced over his newspaper, seeing Harry bend his head to try and continue to read the front page.

'Perhaps it would be easier to simply request the paper?' He folded it and handed to to Harry, amused by the boy's interest in it.

'Oh, um...yeah.' Harry shrugged and accepted the paper. He tried to read it while still eating his breakfast and Severus let him even though the boy got syrup on the paper and down the front of his chin as a result.

There was no point trying to be the boy's father when he was leaving in four days to be someone else's son.

--

 

The rest of the meal passed by mostly with silence as Severus pondered to himself and Harry read through the magical newspaper until he'd reached the very back page and inquired about the zoo again.

Severus sighed and summoned a few brochures and allowed the boy to eagerly flip through them until he had selected the one he wanted to go to.

'They even have a special on the tickets for this week.' Harry added as he showed his father the one he wanted to go to, which was naturally the biggest and most expensive of the seven options.

'Very well. We shall go whenever you are ready.' Severus nodded.

'Like, right now?' Harry grinned. 'Alright, thanks!' He jumped up from the table and rushed upstairs to use the loo and make sure he had everything he needed for their little outing.

--

In twenty minutes, the pair left the house and Severus apparated them a block away from the zoo. Harry frowned when a hat materialized on his head but ignored it when the entrance of the London Zoo came into view.

'Come on!' He urged and ran ahead to wait in line for their tickets.

Severus sighed and caught up with the boy as he purchased their right of entry and had to reach out to grasp the back of Harry's shirt to prevent his son from running off again.

'Not so fast.' Severus said. 'You are to remain at my side because I don't have the time nor sanity to be chasing after you all day.' He frowned.

'Sorry.' Harry blushed although his grin remained as he stared around at all of the exhibits. 'So ah...where to first, dad?' He asked as he stared down at the park map in his hands.

Severus paused at the title the boy had called him by and tried not to allow it to affect him in any way, but failed.

'You may choose.' He sighed tiredly.

Harry pointed towards the right. 'The monkeys.' He decided.

'Naturally.' Severus chuckled as he followed after his eager son and stood nearby as the boy stared at the trees in search for the creatures.

'I see them!' Harry pointed. 'Look at that one, over by the tree!' He laughed as the monkey tried to open a large nut by hitting it against a rock.

After Harry got tired of watching the monkeys, they saw the birds of prey and the tigers before they headed towards the giraffe exhibits.

'I can't see!' Harry complained as the wall was far too high for him to see over and one of the zookeepers were about to begin a demonstration.

Severus glance down as Harry huffed and kicked at a stone near the ground miserably as he appeared to quite like the animal but hated being so short; he believe he was going to miss the show because of it and that made him sad.

Sighing and rolling his eyes, Severus reached over and cast a featherlight charm on Harry before he hoisted him up and allowed the boy to sit on his shoulders.

'Whoa, I can see now. Thanks!' Harry grinned although he clutched handfuls of Severus' hair to remain holding on, unaware of the sticking charm Severus had also put in place.

Severus crossed his arms and proceeded to watch the show with his son sitting atop his shoulders and occasionally tugging at his hair. He wasn't too pleased with his quick decision until he heard the boy's laughter when one of the giraffes approached the wall and Harry was able to reach out to touch it lightly.

--

Even after twelve other incredible animals, a double serving of chocolate ice cream with sprinkles, several exciting shows and a delicious lunch later...that moment with the giraffe remained to be the boy's favourite event for that entire day.


It was fair to say though, that when the pair finally arrived back at Spinner's End, they were both tired and looking forward to a warm meal, showers and than bed.

'Did you have a favourite animal?' Harry wondered during dinner after he'd detailed his tale of the giraffe touching his hand again.

'The bats.' Severus replied as he felt that such a question should be answered.

'You would.' Harry sniggered.

'What is that supposed to mean?' Severus raised an eyebrow at the boy but his son wisely chose not to answer.

Although the boy's face slowly became sadder again when he realized that with one day gone by so quickly...he feared the next three would also.

'Um, so...where to tomorrow?' Harry sighed and nudged his potatoes with his fork.

'I mean, it'd be awesome to spend the days going places but I want to make sure they're something I can remember this life by.' He said. 'Is there anywhere we used to go before...before we were separated? Maybe a picnic place or...or something like that?'

Severus thought for a moment and recalled a park in the country Lily preferred to take them to with an older friend of hers.

'Yes.' He nodded. 'There is a place. I believe Roseandra, a friend of your mother's, would also be quite pleased to see you again now that you're older. She shall also have plenty of tales to tell you.'

'Okay, cool.' Harry had hoped to spend every day with just his father but didn't want to pass up such a chance. 'Can we do that tomorrow, then?'

'I shall owl her tomorrow morning.' Severus replied and eyed the boy's plate. 'On the condition that you eat all of your vegetables and not just the ones who have been fortunate to not cross your path.' He raised an eyebrow at the mushed carrots and stabbed potatoes.

'But now they're gross.' Harry pulled a face at the less-appealing pieces. He caught the stern glare on his father's face and exhaled loudly.

'Fine.' He growled out and started to eat, making sure he pulled face when he didn't like something because it had gone cold or was mushed.

--

The boys had received a reply from Rosiandra almost immediately the following morning and she happily agreed to have them floo to her house just before lunch and than join them for a picnic in a nearby park that once belonged to her grandmother.

'This place is really pretty.' Harry commented as he stared around at the lush grass on their hill with a tall, flowering tree and long meadows of wild grass and flowers in every direction. In the far distance there were mountains and the sky was clear blue; it was stunningly beautiful.

'It is, isn't it?' Rosiandra smiled at Harry.

She was a tall witch and yet was still a few inches shorter than Severus. She dressed in a long gown of lightly toned colours and with long sleeves. Over that was a cloak of a deep gold colour. Her hair was golden brown with streaks of copper and sat in a tight bun.

'Did your father tell you that this is where he proposed to your mother?' He smirked at Severus' embarrassed scowl.

'No!' Harry frowned at his father before he joined Rosiandra on the quilt that his father had magically spread out under a tree atop the hill.

'He was so nervous, your poor father.' Rosiandra chuckled.

'Must we speak of this?' Severus grumbled.

'You said she could tell me stories.' Harry reminded him and returned his attention to Rosiandra as she explained how his father had spent months preparing and weeks rehearsing until he almost lost his nerve. All that work for her to fling her arms around him and say “yes” within the blink of an eye.

'Lily told me the look on his face was of shock.' Rosiandra added while Harry laughed.

'Your mother was always doing that, surprising him most when he least expected anything to stray from his perfectly laid plans.'

'I'll bet.' Harry sniggered. 'Did they bring me here?' He wondered.

'Once, I believe.' Rosiandra nodded. 'You weren't very old. They had come here for a picnic to celebrate my birthday.' She smiled with fond remembrance.

'Your mother had you all dressed up in the cutest little outfit and we just sat here and shared a picnic just as we are now.' Rosiandra sighed and lowered her gaze. 'It's just not the same without her though, is it Severus?'

'It never is.' Severus replied.

Harry glanced between the pair and lowered his gaze; he too wished his mother was there with them, laughing and smiling like she apparently always did.

He frowned and wondered if he could take her place for the day and be the one making jokes and having fun. Harry didn't feel all too joyous when he remembered his mother being unable to even remember them, but he was determined to not let her space remain empty.

'Did you hear about the man who drove with five elephants in his back seat?' Harry asked Rosiandra.

'What? No.' She replied seriously while Severus rolled his eyes.

'The boy is attempting a joke.' He informed her and Rosiandra chuckled as she calmed and nodded for Harry to continue.

'Well, this man was a muggle so he was pulled over by a police officer one day.' Harry continued.

'Muggle law enforcement.' Severus informed Rosiandra when she appeared confused. 'It is illegal to carry such animals in their cars.'

'Yeah, anyway. The police officer said that the man can't drive around with elephants in his car and that he should take them to the zoo.' Harry explained with a small smirk.

'And the man nodded before he turned around and drove back to town. The next day he was pulled over by the same police officer and he still had those elephants.' He told them while Severus barely listened and preferred to muse in his own memories; Rosiandra however was quite intrigued by the false tale.

'What happened?' She wondered.

'Well, the police officer was annoyed, you see. Because he had told the man to take them to the zoo but there he was driving with the elephants in the back seat. He confronted the man and said “Hey! I thought I told you to take them to the zoo?” he frowned. The man looked at him and nodded. “Yeah, I did” He said. 'But today I'm taking them to a beach for the day.” Get it?' Harry grinned and Rosiandra laughed while Severus only seemed mildly amused.

'Oh, you certainly have a way with delivery.' Rosiandra chuckled. 'Wherever did you hear that joke?'

'At the orphanage.' Harry replied and didn't notice how Severus instantly tensed and glanced nervously at Rosiandra.

'Hm.' The woman glared at Severus and Harry quickly tried to rectify the lowering mood, still determined to keep it cheerful like his mother had.

'Um, I got another one. Do you know “knock knock” jokes?' Harry asked.

'I do.' Rosiandra nodded. 'That is one form of muggle jokes I am very familiar with.'

'Well I got one.' Harry told her. 'Knock knock.'

'Who's there?' Rosiandra asked dutifully.

'Cow-go.' Harry replied.

'Cow-go who?' She wondered.

'No, cow go moo!' Harry grinned and felt confident when Rosiandra cracked up laughing. He glanced at his father but frowned when he didn't appear to be very amused.

'Rest assured, I do not partake in such a form of joking.' Severus noticed the expression. 'My lack of reaction does not reflect your joke-telling capabilities.'

'Tell me another!' Rosiandra asked Harry with a broad smile. 'Your mother was not particularly good with material, although she tried.'

'Knock knock.' Harry asked again.

'Who's there?' Rosiandra replied.

'A little old muggle who can't reach the doorbell.' Harry answered but mused on the comment about his mother while Rosiandra laughed again. She was easy to please and it didn't take much effort on his behalf although he had always wanted to make his father happy too.

'I'm hungry.' Harry sighed and eyed the picnic basket which Rosiandra had prepared for them.

'Than let's not waste another minute!' Rosiandra agreed and placed out the rolls, cakes and sliced fruit.

Harry ate in silence and listened as the adults talked about the few times they had spent there and how Lily always found something fun to do. Than the conversation took a more business tone and Harry got a bit bored with old work stories from Rosiandra; Severus spared him by unshrinking a bright blue kite and handing it to Harry.

'Thanks!' Harry jumped up and played with the kite while the adults continued to talk.

'He's grown up so fast.' Rosiandra mused with a sad sigh.

'I wish Lily was here to see it. Or even you for that matter. Severus, how can you even think of sending the boy away again? Can't you see that he belongs at him with his father?' She frowned.

'Perhaps.' Severus admitted as he watched Harry running around with the kite. 'However, the decision has been made.'

'And than you won't change it.' Rosiandra knew. 'Only Lily could make you change your mind about anything. But have you ever thought about what Lily would want? Do you think she would forgive you for sending your little boy away?'

'Dad, look!' Harry called over to them and pointed to the sky where his kite hovered perfectly in the wind.

Severus nodded but a faraway gaze covered his face as he watched the kite raising above the winds that fought against it. He knew Rosiandra was right...Lily would never forgive him for such a terrible thing as sending their child away from home.


The following day consisted of Harry and Severus visiting one of the largest libraries in the muggle world where each of them were content to waste away hours reading books of interest.

Afterwards they saw a muggle animated movie and went out for dinner at a restaurant in which Harry's parents had gone to for their one year anniversary.

The final day came around quicker than Harry liked. After much consideration, they decided to spent most of the day in the magical world. Therefore Harry ventured through Hogsmeade and got to see Godric's Hollow before they had lunch in Diagon Alley and by then it was time for him to see his mother one last time before he was taken from the magical world and his re-discovered family.

They arrived at St.Mungo's just after 2pm in the afternoon and Jensen greeted them although he knew the arrangements and did his best to ignore the dread in Severus' stance as well as the pure misery that leaked into every aspect of Harry.

'Has there been any change?' Harry wondered. It was a question like that spoken with such a tone in which was why Severus was determined to send him away again; the boy did not need to fall into the trap he had.

'I'm afraid not, sorry.' Jensen sighed and stood by the reception to sign a few forms while they waited.

Harry wanted to go straight to see his mother but had to wait while Jensen and his father spoke about a few arrangements first. Impatiently, he turned and glanced around the corridor a few corners away from his mother's room and noticed that he was being watched.

A man had just left a room near Harry's right and hesitated when he saw the group standing there. The man had hair that stuck in various directions as though it couldn't be tamed or else spent too much in gushing winds. It was a warm brown colour and his eyes were a similar colour. He had a golden ring on his left hand - a wedding ring it would seem – along with a strange, red ring on his right hand that was too far away for Harry to make out properly, although it appeared to have some sort of crest on it.

He wasn't sure why this wizard had caught his attention so firmly nor why he appeared to have the same effect on this odd wizard, who was staring back at him with an expression of pure shock and alarm.

'Harry?' Severus called to him and he turned to follow them towards the room where his mother was, eager to get away from the weird man.

'We'll give you a moment.' Jensen nodded and the adults left Harry by Lily's side.

'Hey, mum.' Harry sank miserably into the nearest chair.

'I guess this is goodbye.' He sniffed sadly as the weight of what was going to happen began to sink into his already-rejected heart.

'Dad think I'm better off with another family. But why should I have a new one when I already have a family?' Harry sighed and carefully placed his hand over his mother's, remembering what happened last time. He watched her turned towards him but her gaze was blank and forever-searching.

'I'm gonna miss you.' Harry choked as he wished he could stay with his parents forever and that if something happened with his mother than he could be there for her.

'Promise you won't forget me?' He asked although he knew she already had.

His hands started to warm like they had before and Harry was tempted to let it happen just so he could hear her voice. And maybe gain a few extra days with his father as he had to be cared for until he got his strength back, although it was a bit embarrassing to be carried; and nice at the same time.

'Not a good idea to do that.' A voice spoke from behind him and Harry jerked his hands away, thinking it was his father or Jensen. He turned quickly and gasped as it was the man who had been staring at him previously.

'I-I wasn't.' Harry replied.

'You were thinking about it.' The man shook his head and than turned to tend to another ward with a clipboard that Harry barely had time to read the single name “Longbottom” on it.

Sighing, Harry sniffled again and stared at his mother's face sadly. 'I'm really gonna miss you, mum.' He whispered and brushed some red hair from her face.

'If you were here...would you stop dad from sending me away?' He wondered as a tear slid down his face and he clutched at the sheets near her hand.

Lily's face frowned and her head slowly nodded in reply, but Harry's head was bent and he didn't notice the action. She had turned away again when Severus re-entered the ward and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder.

'How could you do this to me?' Harry sobbed. And even as he said that, the boy jumped up and climbed on his chair to jump towards his father, trusting the man to catch him as he wrapped his arms around his neck and clung to him.

Severus held his son while Lily barely watched on and hugged him back, fighting with his own emotions and pre-regrets.

--

And finally their last day together for a long time came to an end. Harry barely ate his food and seemed to be unfocused on everything he was doing.

Severus was woken by a sound down the hall and sat upright in his bed until he saw the door open and Harry stood there, rubbing his eyes sadly.

'C-can I just lie with you for a minute?' Harry sniffed. 'I can't sleep.'

Severus said nothing as he moved over and retreated to Lily's side of the bed while Harry climbed into the large bed and took his place. He lay back down with a sigh and felt the boy curl up against him, clearly intending to sleep there rather than to “lie there for a minute” as he'd claimed. Frowning as his own tears slid onto the soft pillow, Severus reached over and pulled the obviously sobbing child against his chest.

'Sshh.' He whispered as Harry squeezed his eyes shut and tried to deal with the pain.

'It will be over soon and you can move on with your life. I know I may seem cruel now but one day you'll realize why I did it.' Severus kissed the back of his son's head and bit his lip to prevent him from saying anything else.

The pair felt asleep like that and even as the sun came up, neither moved until there was a knock at the front door.

'It is time.' Severus sighed as he got out of bed and transfigured his clothes into his usual robes.

'Go get dressed, collect all of your belongings and than meet me downstairs.' He turned and left the room.

Harry wiped his face and did as he was told. Ten minutes later he stared in the living room and watched his father talk with the lady from social services. He hated her already.

'Well than, it's time for you to go.' She turned towards him.

'I don't want to.' Harry sniffled.

'There is no choice in the matter, young man.' The woman sighed. 'Come along now, we're on a schedule. You should be lucky for the time you've had here.'

Harry knew she was right but didn't care. He flung himself at his father and pleaded him not to send him away again. It was no use; half an hour later he was standing by the open door of the dark blue car and waving goodbye.

'I won't ever forget you, I promise.' Harry told his father.

'I sincerely hope you break that promise.' Severus sighed and placed a hand on the boy's head.

'But I shall never forget you, my son. I shall love you a little more every day and I patiently await the moment when you are old enough to return, if you wish. Please do look after yourself.'

Harry's lip trembled and he wanted to tell the man he hated him for sending him away but couldn't dare to say it.

'Goodbye, daddy.' He sniffed and got into the car, clutching his bag tearfully.

Severus watched as the boy pressed his hand against the glass just as it began to drive away and out of sight. He turned and re-entered the house, placing a hand against the door frame to stabilize himself. He wanted to chase the car like a madman and demand his son to be returned. But he did not.

It was over now...they could both be left in peace to live their lives once again. Severus was no fool, he knew that would never happen, but he had believe it was possible.

Severus made his way upstairs and entered the room that Harry had been staying in. He spotted something on the floor just under the bed and reached to retrieve it. He swallowed as he saw one of the small figurines the boy had bought at the zoo (he had about ten of them, this one in particular was of the giraffe).

Severus clutched it as he sank to his knees, bent his head and choked back sobs.

'What have I done?' Severus whispered. But the decision had been made...and so it shall remain.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Is this really the last time the boys will see each other for a long time? Will something - or someone - intervene with Severus' plan? Will Harry? You'll have to keep reading to find out! I still have many more plans for this fic and I can garantee that some of them you won't see coming!

Please review!

Note: Any spelling/grammer issues will be corrected asap but I have limited time and I wanted to update this chapter. Enjoy!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2159