Just Harry by watercrystals
Summary: His full name was Harry Severus Evans. Aurors had saved him as a little boy and he had gone to live with his uncaring relatives until they left him at an orphanage three years ago. Now ten years old, Harry runs away to find his father even though he has no idea where Severus Snape lives. But can the man be there for his son when the boy needs him most? Can Harry finally have the family he longs for? He's not the boy-who-lived, nor does he have a destiny to defeat Voldemort...he's quite simply, just Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 29323 Read: 47357 Published: 26 May 2010 Updated: 10 Dec 2010
The Piersons by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
The song used in this chapter is "Run to me" by Nick Lachey. The lyrics are added to be Snape's POV, so that even in his absence from his chapter, the song is along the lines of what he's thinking. This is something new I'm experimenting with, hope you like it!
Also many of you may notice that this scene is from the final part of the trailer for this fanfic, found on youtube. I finally got around to adding it!

As the engine of the car started, Harry turned in his seat and pressed both his hands against the window as he saw the houses passing by. Sniffling, he stared at the house he longed to live in...as it disappeared.

Harry shifted in his seat and stared at his hands that were now placed on his lap. His mind filled with memories of the short time he had been given to spent with his father and how it had blown away from him.

The social services woman who was driving never said a word nor paid him any attention; Harry never even noticed.

He flashed back to how his father had just stood there and watched him leave his life, possibly forever. How could someone do that? If you loved someone...you weren't supposed to send them away.

Ignoring the rules of the road, Harry pulled his feet onto the seat so that he could wrap his arms around his legs and rest his face against his knees.

Sobs racked his form as his heart ached for his parents. Harry felt so helpless and in agony; the more he thought about it the deeper the betrayal sank into his heart and soul.


Over your head,
Trying not to drown.
Reaching for a breath,
Before it drags you down.
Caught in between,
All the pain you feel,
You lost control,
You're letting go,
But I never will.


'We're here.' The woman's voice broke Harry's unawareness and he glanced outside his window to see the looming building of Riverwave Orphanage; just when he thought his mood could sink no lower.

Sighing, Harry hung his head and slowly left the car. He followed the lady towards the gate and inside the main lobby where on of the employees, Hannah, brushed some blonde hair from her face. She turned and finally noticed the arrivals.

'Harry!' She gasped. 'Oh, thank the heavens! I couldn't believe it when they said they'd found you.' Hannah clearly didn't notice the dreadful expression upon the boy's face as he stared at the floor.

'Who's in charge?' The social services lady questioned Hannah while Harry began to tune out of the area and sounds around him.

'Lara is away with family and Jerry has gone someplace. It's just me and three others today.' Hannah was saying; Harry heard none of it.

Harry turned around and stared at the open doorway, tempted to just make a run for it the second he heard the mentioning of foster homes again.


I'm holding on for you,
I'm fighting for your life.
And when you're blinded by this jaded world,
I'll be your eyes.
Even if you fall,
I won't let you break.
When all the noise is telling you
To run away,
Run to me.


'Harry?' Hannah spoke to him. He glanced up and noticed that the social services lady had left. A silence filled the lobby for a brief moment.

'Do you realize the fright you gave us?' She frowned and he could only shrug.

'You're very lucky to be here right now.'

'I belong with my dad.' Harry finally spoke in a scowling tone that was so similar to the man he'd inherited it from.

'It may seem that way.' Hannah sighed. 'But sometimes things don't always work out how they're supposed to. Now come along, you're in quite some trouble, young man.' She nudged him towards a nearby office where an unfamiliar man sat behind the desk. He had dark hair, tanned skin and a crooked mustache.

Upon their arrival, he glanced up from the pile of files he had been staring at and nodded towards Hannah.

'Thank you, I shall take it from here.' The man glared at Harry.

'Sit down, boy.'

Harry did as he was told and partially wished he could have endured the lecture from Hannah rather than this stern man.

'Do you have any idea the trouble you have caused us?' He instantly raised his tone at Harry, who sat there stunned.

'I didn't mean to.' Harry defended himself.

'No? Than why did you even consider running away?' The man continued. 'You're here for a reason!'

'But it's wrong!' Harry shouted back as he jumped upright.

'You will be going into foster care first thing tomorrow morning.' The man ignored the boy's previous outburst and glanced down at a file on his desk.

'No.' Harry said with determination and stood upright . 'I don't belong in a foster home.'

'You're going.' The man growled and Harry shook his head again. 'You will do as I tell you!'

'No!' Harry declared even louder but stank into his chair when the man slammed his palms against the desk and glared at him. The man rounded the table and Harry was instantly reminded of his cruel uncle.

'I'm sorry!' Harry added quickly.

'That's not good enough.' The man eyed him.

'He's just a boy.' A deeper, calmer voice spoke from the doorway and both occupants in the room turned to stare at their visitor.

This man stood tall with every appearance of the highest authority. The other man who had been arguing with Harry instantly recoiled to his desk and busied himself with files.

'This child is refusing foster care, Kalvin.'

'I heard.' The newcomer, Kalvin, said with a stern nod. He looked down at Harry who was both defiant and scared. 'He's a mere child, do not expect him to understand the decisions of adults.'

'I don't wanna go.' Harry added.

'You have no choice in the matter.' Kalvin said. 'Pack your things, you're leaving tomorrow morning and that is that.'


Day after day,
After all you seen,
Its alright if you feel like unraveling.
I'll be right here.
I'm pushing out the walls,
To find the place,
Where you can stay,
Brave through it all.


Harry hated Kalvin because he had indeed done everything possible to make sure Harry did exactly what he didn't want to do; go into foster care.

He was placed with a couple who already had two other children of much younger ages to care for. As a result, they barely paid Harry any attention at all and that was fine with him as he spent every day sitting by the window in the living room and staring outside at the eventful streets.

After only a week, Harry was transfered to another foster home and the couple there tried to be nice to Harry and convince him to join in with some of the games they played with the other children. With each attempt they made, Harry refused.

Three weeks and eight foster care situations later and it was becoming very clear that it wasn't working. Kalvin insisted on sticking with the strategy as he knew children didn't recover overnight and some were particularly stubborn.

But the reports only got worst; Harry was detached, spent the days doing next to nothing, he was barely eating and his focus wouldn't remain on anything for more than a few fleeting minutes.

-- 

'It's getting worst.' Hannah sighed as she and Kalvin stared over their papers and turned to glance at Harry who was sitting in a chair in the lobby where he stared at a space on the floor.

'I agree.' Kalvin sighed heavily and frowned as he noticed a piece of paper he couldn't recall placing with that particular pile of forms.

'But there may be just one last chance.' He read it over and reached for the phone. 'The Piersons.'

'The Piersons?' Hannah gasped and stared at Harry again as though she either sympathized with him greatly or else was concerned about something involving how he was going to cope with such an arrangement.

'A-are you sure?' She whispered nervously.
Kalvin nodded and dialed the number.

I'm holding on for you,
I'm fighting for your life.
And when you're blinded by this jaded world,
I'll be your eyes.
Even if you fall,
I won't let you break.
When all the noise is telling you
To run away,
Run to me.

 

An hour ago Harry had been told to pack, which was ridiculous because he never unpacked his bag anyway and barely even touched any of his belongings; other than a few animal figurines he kept close to him at all times. He had just been informed that he was going to be staying long-term at a foster home and wasn't at all looking forward to it.

Harry had liked the change of sceneries and the way that it all felt so temporary...and that was about to be snatched from him too.

He was called to the lobby when Dylan and Sandy Pierson arrived. Harry didn't even look at them as he allowed the man to take his bag and ignored the woman's babbling about what to have for dinner. He got into the backseat of their silver car and instantly turned to gaze outside the window.

'Ah!' Harry jumped when the radio in their car suddenly burst with sounds of ear-splitting volume. He jerked away from the window and saw Sandy staring at him while Dylan prepared to start the engine.

'Now that we have you attention, listen up.' Sandy said. 'You will be sharing a bedroom with our adopted son, Tyler. He's twelve years old and will give you a tour of the house when we get there.'

Harry nodded and frowned. He distanced himself again and barely heard anything else that was said because he was determined to remain as far from what was going on around him as possible. Besides, he still felt terribly miserable.

It was part of his plan though; that Harry continued to show everyone that he doesn't belong in foster care and that he should be with his father. 

When I was lost,
Hanging on by a thread.
I knew I could run to you,
To find myself again.

Dylan glanced into the rear-view mirror and saw Harry's gaze drifting elsewhere.

'He's not hearing you.' He sighed and shook his head to stop Sandy attacking the radio again as it was an effective way to momentarily capture the boy's attention.

'Allow me.' Dylan extracted his wand from his sleeve and waved it. The windows of the car clouded black and Harry turned to stare at them.

'You can do magic?' Harry gasped.

'We certainly can.' Dylan nodded and returned his attention to the road, which was easy since he had so many safety and awareness charms in place that he barely had to do anything.

'Now stop dazing off and listen.' Sandy frowned at Harry. They gave the boy no choice but to hear her explanations of the basic rules and running of the household.

Harry had many questions but refused to show interest and merely nodded. He was tempted to stare out the window again even if it had shaded black but knew it was no use; these people were persistent. He hated them already and bit his lip to control his emotions the best he could.

The fact was that with every passing day...he only missed his father even more.


I'm holding on for you,
I'm fighting for your life.
And when you're blinded by this jaded world,
I'll be your eyes.
And even when you fall,
I won't let you break.
When all the noise is telling you
To run away,
Run to me.


The car came to a steady halt outside a large house and Harry was hesitant to approach the building as it did look rather nice. How much money did these people have, anyway?

'Welcome to your new home.' Sandy grinned.

'This is not home.' Harry scowled. 'This could never be home!'

'Hippogriff steps, dear.' Dylan sighed to Sandy and nudged Harry into the house, which was just as fancy as the exterior.

Everything about it was grand and welcoming, but Harry avoided taking in its appearance. He preferred to find his new place to spent the day staring at nothing and thinking of the life he wanted while also worrying about his mother.

'Tyler!' Sandy called out.

There was the sound of feet coming down the stairs towards the right before the twelve-year-old with light brown hair, blue eyes and olive skin came into view dressed in a pair of black pants and a green shirt.

'Oh, hey.' Tyler greeted his parents. 'You're back.' He glanced at Harry and narrowed his eyes although he tried to be polite. 'Hi.' He greeted.

Harry bit his lip and than nodded in returned greeting; he might as well not be too rude since he would be sharing a room with the older boy for a while.

'Show Harry to your room, would you?' Dylan suggested.

'Come on, it's right this way.' Tyler said and Harry followed after him while the adults retreated to the kitchen were a house-elf was baking cookies.

'Alright, get this straight.' Tyler was suddenly less-friendly once they were out of earshot of his parents. 'This is my room so I make the rules, got it? I'm not sharing with a crybaby nor someone who wants to yak all day about nothing. Keep to yourself and leave me alone.'

'I was planning to.' Harry scowled back. 'And I don't care if it's your room or not, you can't tell me what to do. I don't even want to be here.'

'You don't want to be here and I don't want you here...we'll get along fine.' Tyler smirked and pushed open the door with a sign that had the words “KEEP OUT!” plastered on the front.

Inside was a rectangle room with a single bed on either side. The part of the room on the right-hand side had magical and muggle posters littering the walls, mostly of bands but also famous Quidditch teams, and one very large poster of a blue sky with an eagle flapping in mid-flight. The bed was covered with books, so was the desk nearby and even its chair.

A bookshelf sat beside the blue-curtained window and a chest of drawers was directly across from that, near the desk. The bed covers were red and black with a golden snitch printed on it.

The other end of the room was far less interesting. There was a plain bed, a bedside table, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers and a desk with a chair. No posters, no choice bed covers, no curtain on his window...nothing.

It was like a bedroom and a guest room separated by an invisible line rather than a wall.

Tyler shoved some books aside and sat on his bed. Harry started unpacking briefly and dragged his desk chair over to the window so he could stare out it.

'You are so weird.' Tyler shook his head and snorted.

'Better to be weird than perfectly ordinary and common.' Harry retorted.

'Nice answer.' Tyler approved.

Harry wasn't sure how to feel about his unexpected company because on one side Tyler was rude and annoying but than he'd be casual and otherwise tolerant; Harry wasn't sure which was the primary personality trait in the older boy.

'Is it true you went to like ten other foster homes in a few weeks before you came here?' Tyler asked after a moment of silence. So much for keeping to themselves.

'Eight, actually. And yeah.' Harry sighed and turned to the other boy as he hoped he'd get the hint and shut up. Tyler noticed the look but bluntly ignored the silent request.

'That's impressive, yet you don't seem to be a trouble-causing brat.'

'Thank you, I think.' Harry frowned.

'No, I mean...what did you do to get sent away so quickly?' Tyler rolled his eyes. 'They almost never send anyone to us, unless they're half-bloods of course.'

'What's blood got to do with anything?' Harry frowned. 'And for your information, I'm not staying here either. I belong with my father.'

'It's not the blood thing.' Tyler answered. 'Dylan is a pureblood and Sandy is a muggleborn, so they foster half-blood kids to give them an equal chance at life. It's easier that way.' He shrugged and thought about what Harry had said about not staying.

'If you belonged with your father than you'd be there, not here. Isn't it obvious?' He rolled his eyes again.

'He doesn't want you.'

'He does so!' Harry jumped up, fueled by anger and denial. 'He thinks it's what's best for me, he thinks I'll be happier...but he's wrong!'

'Oh, you really think so?' Tyler jumped up as well and his own eyes blazed with irritation.

'I know so!' Harry shouted back.

'Is that true?' Sandy whispered to Dylan as they stood discreetly near the wall just a few feet from the open doorway where the boys continued to argue.

'Apparently.' Dylan sighed and pulled out his wand as he stepped into the room and cast Protego to prevent the exchange of fists that was in the process of occurring.

'This is going to be a long week.' Sandy sighed as she watched from the doorway as Dylan sorted the boys out and instilled several more rules to prevent further quarrels.


And it was a long week indeed, particularly for Harry.

He glared at Tyler across the table during every meal, resisted every attempt Sandy made to engage him in activities (Dylan was at work almost all day, ever day so no one saw him until it was almost time for dinner), Harry kept to himself in his room or outside in the backyard – usually whichever of the two Tyler wasn't at – and did everything possible to distance himself.

There was one flaw however, because it became painfully clear that he wasn't going anywhere and the Piersons weren't too bothered about his attitude, merely annoyed that their methods weren't working.

It was a bright Monday morning when things changed for Harry, in a way he had not only never thought to be possible. It also wasn't something he considered to be a good thing.

Having woken from a nightmare, Harry had gone downstairs for a glass of water and spotted Dylan in his work clothes. He gasped and stared at the man, finally taking in his appearance more fully for the first time since he had be forced into the household.

'It's you!' Harry pointed and Dylan turned to smirk at him. His appearance was something Harry never bothered to give glance at before as he fixated on the floor or his food almost all the time, and yet...now it was painfully clear as to who this man was.

Dylan Pierson had messy, brown hair and browner eyes, a golden wedding ring on his left hand and a red one on his right. His work clothes consisted of lime-green robes with an emblem of a crossed bone and wand.

They had met before.

He had stared at Harry right before the last time the boy had seen Lily. This was the man that stared at him from a distance, shocked to see him as though they somehow knew each other. And than he'd warned Harry against using his magic to help his mother because he had somehow known that Harry had wanted to do so.

'B-But...it can't be.'

'About time you noticed.' Dylan said with amusement. ' I couldn't believe it myself at first. When I saw you in St. Mungos, I knew instantly that you're the son of Lily and Severus. There was no mistaking it. And than who should end up in my care, but you?'

'I bet you used magic to get me here. Tyler said you like to foster half-bloods.' Harry frowned and he was far more distrustful of his temporary guardian.

'Yeah, I did!' Dylan laughed. He shook his head when Harry crossed his arms and glared at him.

'You look just like your father when you do that.' Dylan commented and was apparently entirely unbothered by the situation.

'I am his son.' Harry scowled. 'I belong with him. And mum.'

'Would you give it up already?' Tyler wandered into the kitchen and rolled his eyes at Harry, who proceeded to pretend away his annoying existence.

'Tyler, a little sympathy goes a long way.' Dylan frowned at his son. 'Harry is not here to replace you.'

Tyler turned and shrugged. Although he seemed to relax a notch before he wandered outside with his broomstick.

'Why does he hate me so much?' Harry watched Tyler leave.

'Harry, you and Tyler are not too different.' Dylan said and leaned against the counter. Harry stood there in his pajamas to stare at him with interest, although the boy tried to hide it.

'Have you heard of Death Eaters?' He wondered seriously. Harry nodded as he suppressed a shiver.

'Well, they killed Tyler's birth parents when he was very young. He than lived with his grandmother until she died of an incurable illness when he was eight, almost nine – just a year younger than you are now.' Dylan explained.

Sandy joined them in the kitchen to make herself some toast and remained distant from the moment although she listened intently and watched Harry's reactions.

'He was put into a foster home and than within a week, brought here.' Dylan continued.

'It was barely three years ago that we adopted him as our own son. It works perfectly for all of us. We could never have children ourselves and Tyler is truly a gift. As you were told, I am a pureblood and Sandy is a muggleborn. We both went to Hogwarts together too.'

'I heard about Hogwarts.' Harry commented as he sadly thought of how his father had told him all about the magical school he would attend one day.

'My parents went too. Mum was in Gryffindor and dad Slytherin – their friendship inspired others because their houses were meant to be rivals.'

'True.' Sandy nodded and glanced at her husband with a sly smirk. 'I think you should tell him.'

'Tell me what?' Harry anxiously glanced from one to the other.

'I was in Gryffindor too.' Dylan revealed. 'Sandy was in Ravenclaw and was prefect in fifth and sixth year. We didn't meet properly until she started playing Quidditch in our last year and we played against each other.' He nodded.

'Are you familiar with James Potter and Sirius Black?'

'Not really, but I heard a little about them.' Harry answered cautiously. 'Why?'

'I was on the Quidditch team with them.' Dylan grinned at the fond memories. 'James was an excellent captain and Seeker. He rather fancied your mother, if I recall.'

'And who wouldn't?' Sandy added.

Harry fidgeted and didn't like this conversation; it was making him open up again and become more curious and interested. He had vowed to never like anyone or find even the slightest attachment in any situation and yet, with their tales, it was terribly difficult.

'Your father wasn't too fond of James and Sirius, naturally.' Dylan sighed. 'That extended to me occasionally but I mostly kept out of his way. Your mother never left his side though, whenever possible. And now with her situation at St. Mungos...he is repaying that loyalty.'

'It's rather sad, really.' Sandy lowered her gaze to the half-eaten toast in her hand.

'Mum's going to get better and than she'll make dad bring me home.' Harry said confidently although his hope and conviction was faltering with each passing day.

Scowling at their reluctant expressions, he turned and stormed back upstairs, slamming the bedroom door as he went.

'We adopted Tyler.' Sandy moved forward and rested her chin on Dylan's shoulder from behind. 'We want to adopt Harry as well, but you know that won't sit well with his father just yet.'

'I know.' Dylan stared after the temperamental boy. 'But he's cracking, Sandy...we're getting through to him.'

'How could Severus abandon his own son?' She growled.

'He believes that this is what's best for Harry.' Dylan glanced at the counter and shook his head. 'But we can't do anything until...'

'I know.' Sandy sighed reluctantly. 'I know. We must.'

Tyler stepped away from the partially-open doorway and mused to himself. He sighed and ruffled his hair to put on an appearance of having just got off his broomstick.

He entered the house and bid his father goodbye as Dylan was heading off to work. Tyler left his broom by the door and headed upstairs. He made sure he blocked the doorway of his shared room so that Harry couldn't escape.

'What do you bloody want?' Harry snarled moodily at him, although it faded when he remembered what he'd been hold about the older boy.

'In case you haven't noticed, I'm in Ravenclaw.' Tyler glanced towards the posters on his wall and the colour scheme.

'Therefore naturally I'm smart and I've figured out a few things.'

'I don't care; leave me alone.' Harry rolled onto his stomach on his bed and buried his face under his pillow in attempt to block out the world.

'Maybe your father does want you, after all.' Tyler said and Harry instantly re-emerged to stare at him.

'I can actually see his point. Sending you away would be better for the situation, although no better for those involved.' He shrugged and once he was sure Harry wasn't going to up and leave, Tyler moved to sit at his own desk and glanced across the room at the younger boy.

'Go on.' Harry encouraged as he raised a suspicious eyebrow. 'There's got to be more.'

'Let's face it, you don't want to be here and I don't want you here either...so maybe we could work together?' Tyler offered. 'If my parents think you're miserable, they're not going to send you away. But if you're happy, you may never leave.'

'What's your point?' Harry grumbled. 'I don't see success in either of those situations.'

'You've seen my dad before, haven't you? Where was it?' Tyler raised a smug eyebrow.

'Er, St. Mungos?' Harry shrugged but than a spark lit in his mind and it began to make sense to him.'Wait! He was in the same clothes as a healer...he works there!'

'Exactly.' Tyler grinned. 'I suppose, since I realize you're not quite a git after all...I'll tell you something I overheard last night.'

'You have a habit of that.' Harry snorted and all anger towards the other boy that had build up in the past few days gradually vanished.

'Do you want to hear it or not?' Tyler narrowed his eyes and Harry fell silent.

'Thought so. Alright, dad's going to sneak you in to see your mother on the one day a week that the healer Jensen doesn't work the ward. You father – as you still prefer to call him – only visits five days a week and therefore the situation is 90% flawlessly safe.'

'So...I'll get to see mum?' Harry grinned back. 'Brilliant.'

'On one condition.' Sandy spoke from the doorway. Both boys jumped with surprised and appeared rather guilty once they realized they'd been caught.

'Yes, we knew you were listening Tyler and had hoped that you would tell Harry.' She smirked.

'What's the condition?' Harry asked instantly.

'Dylan wants to help Lily get better too, but we have to do things the right way.' Sandy said seriously.

'This arrangement will only continue if you agree to follow each and every rule we give you.'

'I promise.' Harry nodded eagerly. The truth was, however, that he would say anything just to see his mother again.

'This may or may not work out, but at least it's a start.' Sandy sighed.

'I don't care.' Harry told her seriously. 'I'll do anything.'

'Yes.' Sandy lowered her gaze with a gravely worried expression on her face and she shook her head with a heavy sigh before she whispered to herself again.

'That's what we're afraid of.'

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope the song helped show what Severus is thinking/feeling etc even though he's not in this chapter. it does go quite against what he'd told Harry when they departed, however...that's the point ;) There is a lot being said with those lyrics, I wonder if anyone sees them all? Hope you liked it anyhow.
Please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2159