This is Halloween by Morgana
Summary: Voldemort needs a spy but placing his youngest, most talented lieutenant in Dumbledore's pocket without endebting said lieutenant to his Lord's service would be foolish. What gift could Voldemort bestow upon Severus Snape to ensure his absolute loyalty? The Potters, perhaps?

The essence of Halloween (or Samhain) can be condensed into a moment; amid the warm cracking of a log fire, with the fading taste of chocolate upon your lips, you sit in suspense, listening to a ghost story. You shudder as the tale reaches its climax, gasp in safe fear, then relax into your chair. Whilst fluffy Halloween ficlets are enjoyable, one needs a pinch of darkness, a dash of horror, to add piquancy.

This is the tale of four Halloweens, the first three of which are told from Voldemorts P.O.V. Need I say more?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Fic Fests > #12 Halloween 2010 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), James, Lily, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Horror
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death
Prompts: Halloween
Challenges: Halloween
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 8447 Read: 11400 Published: 31 Oct 2010 Updated: 31 Oct 2010
1982 by Morgana
Twisting a sable curl around his fingers, his burgundy eyes narrowed as thin as the lips with which he smirks, Lord Voldermort gazes down at the small toddler, whose blue-black hair lay smooth and silken around a face almost too finely boned and angular for a child. The boy’s chest rises and falls with the deep, peaceful sleep of childhood. Harry Snape had little to fear, or so he, in his innocence, believes, from his godfather.  

The child knows nothing of the word ‘hostage’ or even of the concept of insurance. 

“And now, little Harry we have come, not to the end but, yes, to a pause in our story.” Voldemort murmurs. “Four years ago tonight, I united your parents; inadvertently, I must admit, and, yes, to achieve my own ends, yet see how karma has repaid me? The one prophesised to be my Vanquisher is dead, the Ministry lies but an inch from my grasp and tonight, as I have sat here, telling you the story of your birth, your dear father has been at Hogwarts, repaying, in part, the debt you all owe your Lord.”  

Voldemort pauses, then catches sight of his now handsome face in the looking-glass. He smiles “Although your mother has contributed in her own small way. For a mudblood, her talent in charms is considerable.” 

The door creaks open, revealing a tall, slender figure, his black robes sodden and shiny with rain.

He steps up to Voldemort, then kneels, proffering an ancient wand, it’s wood stained black by the centuries. 

“The Elder Wand, my Lord” Severus says.  

“You have done well, my boy.” Voldemort replies, snatching up the wand and breaking it between his long, pale fingers. “I will now leave you to your son.” 

The door closes, releasing a draught which caresses the candles, making their flames flicker.

Removing his heavy robe, setting aside the ugly white mask, Severus approaches Harry’s bedside, the strain and care which line his face fading into a smile as he beholds the rosy countenance of his son. 

“Daddy?” bright eyes, one emerald, the other sapphire, surrounded by long sable lashes, flutter open. 

“Yes, Harry, I’m here.” Severus replies softly. 

“You goned.”  The toddler informs him in a serious tone. 

“I came back” the man replies, sitting in the chair his master just vacated. He smoothes Harry’s silken hair. “Would you like a bedtime story?” 

Harry tilts his head to the side. He is sure that he has had his story for tonight (‘just one’ his father always says ‘or else that busy little brain of yours won’t switch off’). However, a story that he can’t remember is scarcely a story at all, in Harry’s opinion. 

“Yes. Ancanihavsomecocoandacake?” the child asks, rounding his bright, harlequin eyes in an attempt to look winsome.  

Severus’ mouth twists into a half-smile “Yes, you may have some cocoa and a cake and I might just stretch to a story as well, but then you will need to go to sleep.” 

At that moment, Lily walks in; her fiery red hair vivid against the dark silk of her gown. “Did I hear some special boys wanted cocoa and cakes?” She smirks.

“You were listening at the door again” Severus replies, without rancour.  

“Indeed” his wife answers pertly. “Otherwise, how would I ever learn anything?” although that green gaze appears older, perhaps wiser, right now there is still something sharp, questioning, within its depths. 

“I suppose we do what we must” he replies, his lapis lazuli eyes reassuring in their warmth. 

“Mummy!” Harry insists, aware only that his treat is not, as yet, within his podgy little paws 

“Here pumpkin” she has been calling him that for years. James never understood the joke but Severus’ eyes crinkle.  

“Mmm” Harry mutters, his mouth full of sweet, spicy cake.  

Severus loops his arm around Lily’s waist and pulls her into his lap “Do you want your story, Harry?” 

“Yeth” the toddler mumbles around his sippy cup of cocoa.  



Severus smiles indulgently. “A thing of beauty is a joy forever, its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness but still will keep a bower quiet for us and a sleep…”

The End.
End Notes:
If you have enjoyed this story, please vote for it on the "Potions and Snitches" home page- all it takes is one click! Thanks ^^

The poem Severus recites is 'Endymion', by John Keats. In mythology, Endymion was a man given the choice between living with his lover in the land of dreams or having a normal life but never seeing her again.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2359