Simple Wisps of Snow by silvermoonfae
Summary: Winter has come again and all seems well in the castle. Christmas is all but around the corner. And even Snape seems more...approachable. But is it really? Is it all too good to be true? What secrets does the castle hide? And what is the enigma of The-Boy-Who-Lived?(Edited recently)
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Fantasy, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Self-harm
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 22596 Read: 25239 Published: 30 Nov 2010 Updated: 10 Jan 2011
Musings by silvermoonfae
Author's Notes:
Edited: mainly spelling and grammer mistakes. :)
The moon shone its rays through the window, bedecking everything in silver. On the bed in the corner, was the young child he was watching over. So small for his age, the bed seemed to engulf him into its folds. He was as pale as the white sheets themselves, sickly and barely stirring. And he was the dark watcher. Black shadow if you like, hidden in the little shadows that the room had to offer. All that could be seen by the casual observer were a cold light, coming from his eyes. He stood perfectly still. He was the boy’s silent protector in a world that owed him everything, and yet had seemed to forgotten him.

A delicate hand lay on his shoulder comfortingly. He knew without looking that it was Poppy. She was the only one who knew of his constant vigil. His eyes flashed back to when he had first brought him in…

…he burst through the door, panic written all over the stoic man’s face. Poppy, about to scold, saw the emotion in his face and at once was called to attention by the shivering bundle in his arms.
“Merlin, that’s not…”

“Potter!” he finished for her and rushed over to the child’s usual bed, by the window. With much care and delicacy he lay the child down. He stepped aside and allowed the Healer through and she set straight to business.

After that, it all became a blur. Bits and pieces stood out, but everything was happening so fast. The animals, that had followed him, which he now only noticed, stood on the other side of the child, with the phoenix at the head of the bed. The waited and watched in what could only be worry. It just showed how flustered Poppy really was when she didn’t even protest their presence in the vicinity. And even thanked the Phoenix when she offered her tears.

Then there was the initial shock when she started to peel off his frozen clothes, if that’s what those rags could even be called, right down to his undergarments. Her movements became very still and she almost as pale as the child before her. He leaned forward to get a better view, and froze mid motion. The boy was so pale he was almost translucent, and in places it looked like frostbit was beginning to manifest. But that was to be expected. What was not was the myriad of scars on the child’s torso, to many to be just accounted for his many near death experiences. There was even some mottled bruises that just seemed to be clearing up now, and shadows which suggested he had much more extensive bruising than that, that showed now.

“Poppy…” he whispered, unaccustomed fear lacing his voice, afraid to hear her answer.

“I just don’t know Severus.” He could clearly see she was upset, by the way she twisted her fingers in her robes. “There have been no evidence of this previously, but, then again I wasn’t looking for it. We’ll have to wait until he wakes for some answers.”

“Poppy…” he didn’t want to point it out to her but “… have you noticed his arms?”

“What do you…” she glanced down. Several vertical lines, red and scabbed over graced his wrists, with numerous other scars covering from his elbow down. When she looked up again, her eyes were brimming with tears. “Oh Merlin Severus, how could we have never noticed? How could I have never noticed? I’m a HEALER, for Merlin’s…” He put a hand to calm her.

“I don’t know Poppy. But all we can do is heal him for now and wait for the answers.” He replied softly. And he melted back into the shadows, observing, lost in his thoughts about the boy as she got back to work with a determined air.

After that, it all sped up again, and just words remained within his consciousness…hypothermia…frostbit…not sure he’ll make it Severus…next 24 hours would be miraculous…next 72 hours would be critical…I’m sorry…

…the hand on his shoulder gave a squeeze and he looked into the matron’s silver eyes. She was tired; these past two nights had worn here completely. She barely ate, didn’t sleep and was on constant watch for the child like himself.

She quirked an eyebrow at him and a slight smile lifted the corner of her mouth, “very much like yourself, Severus” she said, reading his mind accurately. He nodded in acceptance.

“How is he?” he asked quietly, returning his gaze back to the child before him. He really was a sight, Phoenix at his head with his first familiar, Hedwig, two panther cubs nestled at one of his sides, a unicorn foal at the other and the sage wolf at his feet, again ever the body guard, was awake whilst the other creatures slept on,

She quickly became serious. “I’m very surprised he had pulled through what with the severe hypothermia, and then all the non-visible previous injuries we found, broken ribs, numerous fractures and breaks in his arms and legs. Merlin, it was a miracle he was even walking for so long and not screaming in pain. As it is, I think the worst is over and he even healed faster than I anticipated. However, if he wakes up, that may be another thing altogether.” She sounded so sorrowful, and truly he knew there was nothing more she could do for him, but wait. He thought that once the worst was over he would start waking up again. Once again, she replied to his thoughts, “His body may be sufficiently healed to sustain consciousness, but his mind, well Merlin only knows what state he’s in. And he may simply never wake up.” Tears rolled down her face, and he was hard pressed to keep himself in an emotionless state.

“Let’s not think about that right now. As of now, I actually think those creatures of his are helping him, by being as close as they are. He has formed some sort of bond with them and them with him. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are lending him some of their magic.” He replied softly.

“Aye, I know. He seems a lot calmer in their presence. Come on Severus, you must get some sleep.” She urged gently.

“And so should you madam, but should and could are two different things and I don’t think I would be able to even if I know I should.” He responded politely. She nodded in acceptance, and with one last comforting squeeze, she left him to his thoughts and retired to her office.

He sighed softly, so many questions and virtually no answers. The boy was obviously on the brink which was clear from his self-harm. How long had he hidden this or was it a recent development. Was he suicidal? Perhaps that was what this while fiasco was. A subconscious attempt at suicide which failed. And if he had hidden it for so long, could he be the consummate actor? Playing the role everyone expects him to be, and not who he actually is? And those injuries! He had seen the likes of them before. On those Slytherins and even a few Ravenclaws whose families were harsh. Could he have something in common with them? Did his Aunt and Uncle not dote on him? He didn’t want it to be true. He wouldn’t wish it on anyone. He shook his head as if to get rid of the excess thoughts. It had gotten all so confusing so fast.

A small musical chirp, and a rush of wings and his head was suddenly clear. He looked to the Phoenix which had alighted upon his shoulder. He petted it unconsciously and the regal bird melted against his touch. “Why does everything happen to this child? Why does fate have it in for him? Wasn’t it enough that he lost his parents at a young age?” he whispered to the bird, not expecting an answer, but surprisingly getting a serious chirp in return. She cocked her head sideways to look at Severus. “Are you bonded to him?” She bobbed her head in answer. He was only slightly surprised, having guessed partly already. ”At least there is no chance of him going dark now, eh?” The bird shook her head vehemently. “And the others?” he inquired. She bobbed her head again. This did surprise. It was a rarity to bond one magical creature, much less a Phoenix at that, but five others as well. It was unheard of. With a last rub against his neck, she glided off and back to the head of the bed, preening the boys head gently and soothingly.

He leant against the window wearily, looking out upon the dark grounds, watching the snow fall in swirls with the wind performing amazing acrobatic feats in the air to an enthralled audience.

P&S P&S P&S P&S P&S

Directly two floors above, a weary man rested upon the window of his office, looking out at the same aerial display as Snape was. His silver hair, glistened in the moonlight, his posture bent and weary, like that of an old man with too many burdens. He wore plain robes of blue, a change from his usual bright and colourful display and his sky blue eyes lacked their usual twinkle for the last few days. The Headmaster of the school was feeling the guilt weigh him down. How had he not noticed how far Harry had sunk these past few months? How could he have dismissed Severus’ and Poppy’s urgings so readily? How was it that only Severus and Poppy could see that something was clearly ailing the child. Were they really that blind? And this was the result; a child was on his deathbed. He had been giving hourly updates by the matron who had been clinical and cold towards him ever since. It really was his own fault, and the guilt had kept him from visiting the boy all but once. He nearly broke down then and there at the sight of the broken child.

He scrubbed his face tiredly. He knew Severus was watching over the boy constantly at a detriment to his own health and he was glad that there was clearly someone there for the boy. How he tore through his wards was a testament to how protective Severus was of him. The animals were another mystery. How had the child bonded them all? The child was ever a mystery. Child? Indeed he looked like a child, but with everything that had occured he was a young man, bearing burdens he shouldn’t have to.

He wondered what else was going on. What did fate have in store? For clearly something else was afoot. Ever since Harry had been in the hospital wing, the castle itself seemed to wilt. The magic seemed to be slowly sucked out of the place. Even the ghosts had disappeared for a time and no one could seem to find them. Everything lacked lustre and even the students felt the change. One or two first years had burst into tears for no apparent reason. Clearly some of the more vulnerable Hufflepuffs, but many from all houses seemed on edge. It was a feeling in the air. Quite a contradiction to the atmosphere that was prevalent two days ago.

However, if one walked into the hospital wing, everything seemed to glow with vibrancy. Magic it seemed, had moved the majority of herself to the hospital wing, and presided there over the sick child. He seemed to pulse with energy and for one who could see aura’s, himself, you could almost see wisps of pure golden magic tendrils swirling in and out of his body. It was clear that Magic herself had grown fond of the boy and he shivered as he thought of the price Magic might exact over those who ignored him.

P&S P&S P&S P&S P&S

A noise startled Snape from his reverie. Turning quickly, he saw all of Harry’s bonded familiars look expectantly at the child. Waiting for something. And so he joined the watch.

Minutes turned to hours and still he kept vigilant. Finally, after an encouraging chirp from the Phoenix, he noticed the boy’s hands slowly petting the fur of the unicorn and panthers steadily. It seemed like an anchor, something which hooked him to reality, for soon after he began to become restless. He was near the surface of consciousness. And slowly, every so agonisingly slowly, his lashes fluttered open to reveal confused emerald eyes. He looked so lost and frail, but within seconds he had thrown up a mask. He saw the recognition in the boy’s eyes as he saw himself looming by his bedside. With immense relief, he thanked Merlin all seemed to be well until…

A small, confused voice broke his trail of thought. “Professor, how come you’re all silver and green? What the hell’s happening? Nothing is right. It all looks wrong! What’s wrong with my eyes?”

Relief quickly turned to alarm and he spun on the spot.

“POPPY!”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2380