Unlikely Apprentice by Nusia
Summary: On their way to school before year two, Ron and Harry lose control of the car and crash. Neither one could have imagined the consequences.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Deaging, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5933 Read: 21415 Published: 18 Mar 2011 Updated: 27 Mar 2011
Story Notes:
This is an Apprenticeship fic, where Snape is forced to take Harry as his apprentice. In general terms, I will follow some of the things that happen in year two. I haven't really decided the exacts. I put in some warnings about deaging and what not, to anticipate some accidents in potions- not to be the main focus of the story. This story will not be cannon, as I plan to make up an interesting extended family for Snape. I want this story to be fun for me to write, perhaps fun for you to read, but not adhering to strict literature standards. I will attempt to update every Friday, but this may mean shorter chapters and the like. I don't have a beta, I hope that the grammer/spelling errors that are likely to be there aren't too detracting. Feel free to give me feedback and I will attempt to accomodate.
Prologue- The Crash by Nusia

Harry woke in a very strange hospital ward. He was pretty sure he was some place magical, not that he was completely sure what a muggle hospital should look like… but the food trays that floated their ways to the patients along the ward were a dead giveaway.

Harry shook his head, his eye sight was blurry, his head ached something awful, and he felt his mind trapped in some horrible haze.

There was a little creature walking by, carrying bedpans? The creature looked just like the one he’d seen at the Dursleys, the one the floated the pudding across the room, boy he had gotten in a lot of trouble for that. But why was he at the hospital ward, he couldn’t recall how he got there.

Wasn’t he just at the Dursleys?

Looking to the side, Harry spotted Ron in the bed next to him. The boy was snoring, loudly; despite the fact both his legs were magically suspended.

Suddenly Harry remembered the rescue, the Weasley twins freeing him from his ‘room’ at the Dursleys. Using the floating car…

Harry gasped, bringing a hand up to his forehead- which was covered in bandages. Oh they were in a lot of trouble.

Ron and Harry, when the barrier hadn’t opened, decided to get to Hogwarts using the floating car. It seemed like a good idea at the time, why not? The car could fly them all the way to Hogwarts, which was where they needed to go. Even better, the car could be invisible so that muggles couldn’t see them. This was supposed to be their grand adventure, and truly they had not seen any other alternative.

It had been an hour into the flight when things started to go a bit bad. The engine sputtered and then seemed to slow.

“I haven’t seen it do that before,” Ron commented, pressing on the gas with a bit more force.

A few desperate ticking noises and then the engine died. Ron tried the key, willing the engine to start back up again.

Harry leaned over to check the dials. He didn’t know much about cars, but there were a few basic things he did know. One was that a car ran on gas. When the gas gage pointed to “E,” whilst the gas light glowed, then the car was out of gas.

“How long has the gas light been on?” Harry asked.

“What?!” Ron squeaked. He was slamming his foot again on the gas pedal. He tried the key again, then the wipers and the radio preset buttons.

“That,” Harry pointed. Even though Ron was getting pretty stressed out, Harry was starting to feel relaxed. Despite the stopped engine, they were still floating along. Sure, they were a little slower and unsteady, but they weren’t falling.

“Oh that’s been on for ages,” the redhead replied. It seemed as though Ron was calming down a bit as well. “Came on back when Fred, George and I came to rescue you. Why?”

“It’s the gas indicator,” Harry explained, “It means the car needs gas.”

“What?”

“Well-“ Harry started to explain. But just then the car’s nose dipped forward.

Both boys started to scream.

That was the last thing Harry remembered.

Apparently it hadn’t ended well for either one of them. Harry was about to discover that was an understatement. A very large understatement.

 

“Oh Ronald,” Mrs. Weasley gushed as she and Mr. Weasley entered the hospital room. “How are you dear?” Her voice was full of concern and she didn’t pause to wake the boy before she scooped him up into her arms.

Ron snorted a bit, mid snore, before rubbing his eyes. “Mum,” he said weakly.

Mr. Weasley was at his son’s side as well, “how are you son?”

“I’m okay,” he replied, pulling back from his mum’s embrace. “My legs were broken, but they’re nearly done healing. It’s Harry that’s hurt real badly, he hit his head and I couldn’t wake him.” Suddenly three Weasleys looked in his direction.

“Erm,” Harry stuttered, his face turning red. He was embarrassed to be caught staring. “I’m all right now mate.”

“Oh Harry,” Mrs. Weasley gushed, Harry was scooped up in his own embrace, he was surprised with how quickly Ron’s mum could move. “How are you dear?”

Harry shrugged, “I feel okay, except everything seems a bit fuzzy.” Harry looked towards Ron, “what happened?”

Ron winced, “well, we crashed Harry. The car lost power and then we couldn’t levitate.”

Mrs. Weasley straightened up, “do you boys have any idea how much trouble you’ve caused?” Ron visibly shrank to the tone. “You were seen by muggles, surely there will be an inquiry at the ministry. Do you have any idea the trouble this will cause your father?” Mr. Weasley looked down, it seemed as though he’d been on the receiving end of Mrs. Weasley’s temper himself. “Not to mention—“

Mrs. Weasley was cut off as Dumbledore entered the room. “Why hello Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Harry, Ron,” the old wizard nodded to each boy. “Might I have a word with you two,” Dumbledore summoned the parents, who quickly followed the old wizard out of the room.

Once they were alone, Ron broke the silence, “I am in so much trouble. It might have been better had we died in that car crash.” Ron groaned. “At least my legs don’t hurt anymore. How are you mate?”

“My head hurts something awful,” Harry replied. “But where are we?”

“St. Mungos,” Ron replied, “but it took us ages to get here. It wasn’t till morning Mr. Wooklesbreath found us. And then- he’s not that great at magic- he levitated us back to his home. I passed out there, but from what I gather, he must of flooed us here.”

“And I was out of it all that time?” Harry asked.

“Yeah,” Ron sounded hollow, “I thought you’d died at first. And then when you wouldn’t wake… I thought maybe you’d lost your mind or something? I don’t know. I was really scared and it was so cold that night.”

“It’s a wonder you survived the night,” a mediwitch interrupted, “what with your legs broken, and you concussed.” She headed to Harry’s bed, “now you drink this dear, it will mend the crack in your scull, now that the swelling has abated.”

The potion was disgusting, as usual, and Harry struggled to drink it down. Once he was done though, he turned to comment about it to Ron. Before he could utter a sound, a heavy weight pulled his head down. He briefly wondered if maybe he was poisoned. His eyes were pulled shut and he lost consciousness.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2482