Cradle and All by Lasseg
Summary: AU of Deathly Hallows. Severus Snape didn't die in the Shrieking Shack, and is on trial as a Death Eater. With Albus Dumbledore dead, it falls to Harry Potter to aid in proving his innocence. Of course, things are never that simple, and there's another small problem that Harry has to take care of.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Rape, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 5924 Read: 17095 Published: 04 Apr 2011 Updated: 20 Apr 2011
Story Notes:

 

A few people besides Snape who died in Deathly Hallows may pop up here and there as being alive, so this should definitely be considered AU.

While there are warnings for Abusive Dursleys, Violence, Torture, Rape, Neglect and Profanity; they will not occur in a very graphic sense. That said, the story will incorporate the trails of Death Eaters, so various crimes may be alluded to and described, or possibly shown in a flashback sequence, and the same applies to mentions of Neglect or Abusive Dursleys.

Prologue by Lasseg
Author's Notes:
The Prologue is shorter than most chapters will be; this is mostly just to set the stage. Don't panic!

The Dark Lord Voldemort had been dead six months, and the Wizarding world was slowly beginning to recover from his brief, but devastating, reign of terror.

The Ministry of Magic was in an uproar, not only because of the multiple trials of Death Eaters that were currently underway, but because of the massive shakeup in the Ministry's own ranks. Nearly a hundred Ministry employees were included as defendants in the trials of Death Eaters, and it was doing absolutely nothing to aid in repairing their rather tattered reputation.

Currently, the Ministry of Magic was regarded by most of the Wizarding world as a laughingstock, hardly credited as a governmental agency, and spoken of in tones of utmost disgust and loathing, even as the skeleton crew of actual upstanding Ministry employees and officials worked around the clock to restore order, and ensure that justice was being served in the way it was intended following the war.

Until things were more settled and an election could be held, Kingsley Shacklebolt was acting Minister of Magic, and at the moment he was presiding over everything being done at the Ministry with an iron fist, unwilling to allow any detail to slip through the cracks after the complete cock-up that was the justice system under previous Ministers Cornelius Fudge and Rufus Scrimgeour.

He was adamant that there would be absolutely no favoritism or bribery on his watch, regardless of who was being investigated, and that included the trial of Severus Snape, previous Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, member of and spy for the Order of the Phoenix, accused right hand of Lord Voldemort, and murderer of Albus Dumbledore.

Personally, Kingsley was furious with Snape, and if he hadn't had the responsibility of governing the recovering Wizarding world on his shoulders, he would have been only too happy to corner Snape down a dark alley some night, but nothing was that simple anymore.

Especially with the Wizarding world's Savior, Harry Potter, insisting on Snape's innocence. Or, more accurately, not innocence exactly, but extremely extenuating circumstances that turned the murder of Albus Dumbledore into an actual suicide, nevermind that his death had absolutely been from a Killing Curse from Snape's own wand.

Kingsley could fathom no realistic explanation for how Dumbledore's death could have possibly been suicide, but he was unable to dismiss Potter's testimony, and as such, the Savior would be an integral part of Snape's defence, loathe as the Minister was to allow it.

It was six months since the Dark Lord's fall, and it made Kingsley's head hurt just thinking about how long it would take for the Wizarding world to even begin to function in anything resembling normalcy again.

One thing was certain; nothing would ever be the same.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Reviews would be awesome, especially as I haven't written further than Chapter One yet, and while I have a basic idea of where it's all going, I have no clue how it'll end as of yet.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2499