Enigma by GrandMoffAmbrius
Summary: After the return of Lord Voldemort, Harry's world becomes one of danger and fear. Sent by the headmaster to watch the boy, Serveus Snape finds himself in a position where he is forced to look after Harry and learns many new things about the child.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Bill, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hedwig, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Oliver Wood, Percy, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 64857 Read: 64937 Published: 30 Jun 2011 Updated: 07 Jul 2012
Story Notes:

This is my take on the "Harry comes under the care of Snape and they develope a new realtionship for one another" story. This story will be a mixture of both book c and movie cannon. I'll also be adding a few scenes of mu own creation and changing facts as I need to.

Prologue, Walpurgis Night by GrandMoffAmbrius
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. If I did, then things would be a whole lot different.

Thanks to my Beta Seshat3. This story takes place after the events of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. From there, it will be canon to a certain point in Order of the Phoenix but it will be mostly non-canon. The parts from the original story will be composed with elements from both the novel and film adaption.

 

Shadows danced as touch light flickered off the stone walls in the otherwise darkened room. Standing about the room were a number of dark cloaked figures. Each had the hood of their long black robe drawn up, shrouding their faces in shadow. Yet the darkness was not the only thing covering their visage. A mask covered each face. Metallic and foreboding, each was uniquely designed by its owner to inspire fear and dread.

The only piece of furniture was a large throne upon a dais at the front of the room. Made of black stone, the throne had a triangular back to it and arms carved into a pair of serpents. Both had its mouth open, as if ready to strike, revealing its fangs and forked tongue. Nagini the large green snake slithered about the base of the throne and slithered her way along the side. The figure of a squat hunched over man with rat like features cowered to the side of the throne. Sitting upon the throne was the individual to whom the cloaked figures swore their complete obedience to.

Lord Voldemort, newly resurrected, sat and gazed upon his Death Eaters with his scarlet slit eyes. The group before him was small. A mere fraction of the followers he once had. But he knew that would not be the case for much longer. A small smile tugged at the corner of mouth but it disappeared when he finally broke the silence with his soft menacing voice.

"Come forward Severus."

Severus Snape made his way to the foot of the dais from where he stood in the midst of the gathered Death Eaters. He made sure his mind was well occulered as he got down on his knee and lowered his head.

Voldemort rose and made his way from his throne to the Potions Masters. "My loyal Serveus," the Dark Lord softly addressed the kneeling man.

"My Lord," Snap replied, "I have news for you."

"Good," Voldemort hissed, "the rise my friend. Rise and speak of what you have learned.

Doing as he was told, Snape rose and began to speak. All the time making sure his barriers were strongly up.

"As you thought my Lord, Dumbledore has begun to recruit more members to the Order of the Phoenix. He has already recruited Kinsley Shacklebolt, Alastor Moody and other Ministry officials. But he must do so through others such as Arthur Weasley and the few remaining Order members he has been able to draw back into his service He has also apparently enlisted Squibs as well to monitor the Muggle world for any strange occurrences."

"What does he think my intentions are as far?"  

"As of now, Dumbledore believes you are most concerned with keeping your presence hidden and gathering new Death Eaters and informants. He hasn't tried to ask me whether you have informed either me or anyone else of your possible intentions. He has confided in me that he has fears that you plan to attack him personally by destroying the source of his favorite muggle sweet."

Voldemort smiled at the report. But Severus could feel his mind being prodded. The feeling eventually withdrew and he could feel that his shields had withstood.

"Very good Severus. Continue as you have. When you return, inform him that I have began to formulate plans for a special assignment but I will not tell you what or when until I summon you next."

"As you wish my Lord," Severus said with a bow of his head.

"Lucius," Voldemort said turning his gaze upon the masked wizard holding the snake headed walking stick, "what news from the Ministry?"

"My Lord, Fudge is utterly convinced that Dumbledore's claims of your return are nothing more than part of a plot to remove him from office as Minister. He claims there is no proof as to your return. He has even taken great steps to discredit the fool in the Daily Prophet and any chance he gets. He has even managed to gather several ministry officials and members of the Wizengamont to his side."

This news caused the features of the snakelike face to contort into an evil grin and the scarlet eyes to fill with glee.

"Fudge's paranoia and disillusionment will serve us well. I want you to play your role of loyal supporter and discreet advisor well Lucius. Promise him your support but in secret only. It is important that he continue to believe the persona you have created. Influence what decisions you can and gather what information you can gain from him."

"As you wish my Lord."

Voldemort went on to request reports from several other Death Eaters till he returned to the throne. "That is all for now. You have your personal tasks to attend to. I will require updates when I summon you next."

With a wave of his skeletal-like hand, he dismissed his followers. One by one they left by the door on the far side room. Just as Severus was making his way to the door, the high cold voice called out to him.

"Severus, remain." Voldemort then turned to the small figure huddled by the throne. "Leave us Wormtail."

"As you wish my master," the rodent featured man replied with a deep bow. As Wormtail scurried out of the chamber, Snape's hard black eyes followed him. Wormtail must have felt this for the traitor of James and Lilly Potter quickened his pace till he was out the door and closed it behind him

Once they were alone, Snape turned his attention to the dark wizard.

"Come closer my dear boy," Voldemort said in an all too pleasant voice reminiscent of Dumbledore.

Snape did as he was told, all the time reinforcing his mind defenses. Again he knelt before the throne. His masked face pointed at the stone floor. Nagini was now slithering her way along Voldemort's shoulders and he reached up and began stroking her head with his long spiderlike finger.

"Severus Snape," the cold voice began, "you are both devoted and cunning. I was greatly disappointed with you when you did not answer my summons when I returned to my body. But it was for a cause. To ensure that Dumbledore still thought if you as loyal only to him. To ensure that he kept you in his strictest confidence. But most of all, to continue the task I entrusted to you all those years ago. The fool still thinks as you as his eyes and ears but when in truth, you are mine."

"I live to serve you and only you my lord."

"You are one of my most loyal servants Severus. You have rarely failed me. I have a task for you."

Rising his masked face, Severus listened without comment.

----------

A bright flash of green light. A women's scream. The unending sound of high cold laughter everywhere. Harry was running down what seemed like one of the dungeon halls at Hogwarts. No matter how fast he ran, he could not escape from the laughter. Finally, a door appeared. Harry pulled it open with all his might and ran through.

Harry found himself in the graveyard. Long shadows were casted about as the light of the moon danced off the headstones. A mist crept through the ground, no sound was heard.

"I don't want to be here," Harry said in a timid voice. He turned to go back through the door but instead found himself in-front of the Riddle tombstone with its winged Grim Reaper statue. "This isn't real," Harry said to himself, "I'm not here. None of this is real."

"But it is Harry," a voice said into the stillness.

Harry could not respond as the battered figure of Cedric Diggory emerge from behind the stone statue.

"Cedric?"

"This is real Harry," Cedric continued "this is the land of the dead. Where you sent me that night.

"No. I... didn't... Cedric... I didn't mean..." Harry could not finish. He merely fell to his knees as the mist surrounded him and Cedric.

"Didn't mean to what Harry?" Cedric asked, his voice becoming cold and hard, "You didn't mean to kill me? To cause my family and friends all the grief they've felt since you killed me? You made me take that cup with you. You brought me here. You did nothing as I was hit with the Killing Curse."

"Please, I'm sorry." Harry said as tears fell from his eyes, "I didn't mean to kill you."

"What about us Harry?" another familiar voice called out.

Looking up, Harry saw the ghostly figures of his parents form out of the mist. Both his mother and father flanked Cedric.

"Don't you feel sorry about our deaths?" the figure of James Potter asked.

"You caused Voldemort to target our family," Lilly Potter said with no emotion, "If you hadn't been born, we would still be alive."

"Mom...Dad...please...I'm sorry."

"No you're not son," James said

"You know everything, all the hurt and death, is your fault," Lilly coldly said.

Harry broke down into tears again as James and Lily began to circle him. He heard Cedric beginning to laugh but the laugh changed into an all too familiar one. Looking up, Harry saw Cedric transform into the form of Lord Voldemort. His parents had become two looming Dementors with their decayed hands reaching out to him.

Harry could not move. He felt himself taken hold by the icy hands. He looked up and saw Voldemort aim his wand squarely at him and saw the bright green light flash before him.

Harry woke with a violent jerk which caused him to sit straight-up in his bed. It had only been a dream. He found that he was breathing hard and his face was covered in a cold sweat, his scare slightly throbbing. Outside, rain lashed against the window. A bolt of lightning flashed against the sky and was soon followed by a rumble of thunder.

Looking over to his small alarm clock, he saw it was two in the morning. The events of the dream played again in his mind without end. The words of Cedric and his parents ringing in his ears.

Drawing his keens up to his chest, Harry set his forehead on them and began to cry silently to himself.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well what do think for a beginning?

Lord Voldemort's throne is based upon Lord Zedd's throne from Power Rangers.

Please don’t forget to leave your reviews.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2578