Enigma by GrandMoffAmbrius
Summary: After the return of Lord Voldemort, Harry's world becomes one of danger and fear. Sent by the headmaster to watch the boy, Serveus Snape finds himself in a position where he is forced to look after Harry and learns many new things about the child.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Bill, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hedwig, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Oliver Wood, Percy, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 64857 Read: 64931 Published: 30 Jun 2011 Updated: 07 Jul 2012
Chapter 9 An Extra Guard by GrandMoffAmbrius
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. If I did, then things would be a whole lot different. All my thanks to my wonderful Beta, Alethea27 for all her hard work and putting up with my horrid grammar. This chapter will contain a mixture of both the book and movie versions of the 2nd chapter, The Advance Guard. The description of Mundungus Fletcher is based on his appearance in The Deathly Hallows Part I. And of course, I’ve added my own unique view of things as well. There will mentions of abuse again in this chapter. Best of all, the Harry-Severus interaction begins in this chapter.

‘What in Merlin's name am I doing here?' Severus Snape thought as he crossed his arms across his chest.

For the latter part of the afternoon, Severus had stood guard watching the home of the Dursley, concealed by his disillusionment charm. In most of that time, the house appeared to be empty. The only signs of life he had so far witnesses so far were Petunia retrieving the afternoon mail and Vernon returning home from work. Other than that, no one else entered or left. It appeared that Potter was taking his instructions to not leave his relatives seriously.

First time he's actually followed a simple order.' But for some reason, he did not totally believe that and not because of Potter's previous actions.

Severus did not know why he was standing in front of Number 4. He had not planned on doing it. For most of the day, he had been brewing and doing research. Yet in the back of his mind, the images of what he witnessed of the interaction between the boy and relatives were interwoven with his personal memories of Petunia while he was growing-up. The next thing he knew, he was apparating back to Privet Drive. Not bothering to inform Arabella or Albus of his actions, he stood and began his vigil. Two hour into his vigil, he spotted Mundungus Fletcher lurking about the street.

‘I cannot believe Dumbledore trust this cowardly little thief with such a task,' Severus thought as he recalled hearing the man would be watching the neighborhood. Mundungus walked nonchalantly pass the identical homes, paused before Number 4, and lit a cigarette he'd taken from the pocket of his tacky looking coat. Cigarette in hand, he loitered for a few minutes as he fiddled with his watch and glanced around.

‘No doubt looking for anything he can get his grubby, sticky fingers on.'

Severus then saw Mundungus subtlety nod his head in his direction. He turned and saw Arabella Figg on her porch putting one of her many cats out. She returned his subtle sign and went back inside. Mundungus started to walk down Privet Drive till he reached the end of the street and quickly disapparated. Once he was gone, Severus returned his gaze to vacant looking house.

When the Potions Master looked at his watched sometime later, he saw that it was already twenty past six and the Dursleys would be leaving for the nonexistent All-England Best-Kept Suburban Lawn Competition. Looking up, he saw the massive figure of Vernon Dursley exit the house followed by Petunia and their son. Severus made his way towards the Muggle family as they got into their car. Dudley still had a pale complex to his skin and dark circles under his eyes. Petunia appeared extremely fidgety and was moving her head glancing all over the place like a nervous bird. She had a firm grasp on her son's shoulder as she opened the door for him. Vernon Dursley had a smug look on his fat features. The Head of Slytherin had a feeling it was because the Muggle thought he was the front runner for the fictitious award. As came closer to the man, Severus could automatically tell the man had been drinking. His eyes were red and beady. Severus detected the faint order of whisky was on the man's clothing. Vernon's movements had a slight lopsided quality to them. The scene reminded the Slytherin of his own father. Vernon Dursley started the car, drove down the street and disappeared around the corner.

Once they were gone, Severus thought he would take his leave as well. There was no reason for him to stay. The guard would be arriving soon to escort Potter to Grimmauld Place and he would reunited with the Mutt. Yet Severus found himself being pulled towards the front door just like he had felt himself being pulled to Privet Drive in the first place.

"Alohomora," he said, unlocking the door. Once inside, he relocked the door. Leaving the door unlocked would not have been a good sign to greet the coming Order members.

The house looked just as it did when he was last there. The only difference was that it was completely silent with the exception of the ticking clock. Silently, he glided up the stairs to the second floor. Soon, he found himself before the padlocked door he knew to be Potter's. All the locks were in place and he could hear sounds of movement on the other side.

Suddenly, Severus was faced with a quandary. ‘What do I do now, just walk right in? I would be acting like a reckless Gryffindor, acting without thinking. And what do I tell him when he asks why I'm here. I'm the boy's least favorite person with the exception of the Dark Lord and the last person he would want to seen sitting in a locked room. And what do I say when the wolf shows up with Moody and the rest?'

The sound of something falling to the floor snapped the man out of his thoughts. With a quick swipe of his wand, he undid the locks and swept into the room. Onyx eyes were met with the scene of the Boy Who Lived crumpled on the floor. Just as he was about to speak, Harry looked-up. The all too familiar emerald green eyes widened in shock at the sight of the Potions Master. He could tell Harry was wearing a glamour charm. All his years of handling abused students and his own experience at using the charm had given him the ability to detect the usage of the charm.

‘Oh Lily, I hope I'm wrong and if I'm not, please forgive me.'

"Pr-Professor S-Snape!" Harry stuttered in shock. W-What...what are you d-doing here?"

-----A Few Minuets Ago-----

All alone in his tiny locked room, the Boy Who Lived sat at his small desk and slowly laid the quill he had been using down. Despite the pain in caused him, Harry wrote a small letter to Ron for Hedwig to take to him. All Harry wanted was for Ron to tell him something about what was happing in the Magical World. He also asked if Hedwig could stay with Ron as well. He felt she would be much safer with his best friend then she would be here with his uncle's drunken behavior. It was all too possible that he might try to hurt her or even kill her if he ever got into another drunken rage.

Hedwig let out a soft hoot from her cage's perch. Harry saw her eyes were filled with concern and he managed a smile. During the past four years, she had been the only living thing in Number 4 that cared and worried about him. "It's ok Hedwig. Everything is going to be fine," Harry told her as he looked down at the small message he had managed to write.

Ron,

I need you to take care of Hedwig for me. My uncle  said he was getting tired of all the noise she's been making lately.

Why haven't you or Hermione written to me? I haven't heard from anyone since the Dementor attack. I want to know what's happening.

Thanks and please write soon,

Harry.

After sealing it, he looked at the watching owl and held the letter out to her. "Alright girl, I want you to take this to Ron and then I want you to stay with him. It would probably be safer for you, ok?" Hedwig did not take the letter right a way. Instead she flew off her perch and landed before her master with concern and defiance. "Please Hedwig," Harry pleaded. "It's for your own safety. I don't know what I would do if something ever happened to you."

It was clear that Hedwig did not wish to leave him but after a few seconds, she took the letter in her beak and flew out the window. Harry watched until she was gone and let out a sigh of relief.  The young Gryffindor felt a lot better knowing his owl was going to be safer. He hoped that Ron would write back to him because he desperately wanted to know what was happing in the Wizarding World.

Writing the short message had been the only sort of activity he had managed to do all day. For most of the day, Harry had laid on his bed, trying to ignore the pain he felt. Keeping the glamours in place took quite a bit of his strength. That morning as he looked in the mirror, he saw that the bruise his uncle had inflicted had gotten worse over night. They were now darker in color and ached more. But he knew it was better to keep them concealed from his aunt then to tell her about them.

‘She would just tell me that I deserve them,' Harry had thought to himself. ‘She would say something along the lines that after all the unnatural things I've inflicted on her and her family, I was long overdue for a proper punishment. That my freakiness should've been beaten out of me long ago.'

That morning, his aunt had given him a curious look when she let him out. Harry felt that she might suspect something, but she never said anything. Harry concluded that she knew nothing of what Uncle Vernon had done to him. Harry was sure that despite her feelings, Petunia would not stand for her husband beating their nephew in the manner he did. His relatives had never beaten him growing-up. Being denied meals had been their preferred method of punishment. Occasionally, his uncle did get a little physical with him. A slap here and tight grip there, but nothing like the other night. He realized Uncle Vernon had been getting more physical with him since he had returned for the summer.

‘Cause I allowed the twins to give Dudley that jinxed candy,' Harry blamed himself. The Boy Who Lived was still an unconsciously placing the blame on himself. In his mind, he still was the cause of his parents and Cedric's deaths. His being a wizard was the reason his relatives never showed him love or care. The nightmares of that night in the graveyard still plagued him, mixed with the screams of his mother and the angry rants of his uncle. Harry shook his head trying to get rid of the feelings they caused.

Carefully pushing his chair back, Harry got up trying not to aggravate the pain. But as he rose, Harry felt a burning pain in his leg, causing him to lose his balance. He tried to hold onto the chair but he lost his balance and fell to the floor. Hitting the hard wooden floor caused Harry's bruises to flare up in throbbing pain, but the sound of the locks being undone caught his attention. Harry quickly put his Glamours back on as soon as the door opened. He could hear someone enter and make their way towards him but he did not look to see who it was. Feeling a familiar magical presence above him, Harry opened his eyes and was shocked. Harry did not expect to see his least favorite professor standing over him of all peopled.

----------

 "As eloquent as always Mr. Potter," the Potions Master said as he reached down to help his student up off the floor.

"T-thank y-you," Harry murmured when he regained his footing. "Why...why are you here Sir?" Did Dumbledore send you?"

"Professor Dumbledore, Potter and no."

"Then, oh no..." Harry suddenly reached for his wand on the small nightstand; Severus rolled his eyes at the action. He could tell what wrong conclusion the young Gryffindor's mind had led him to.

"No Potter. There're no Death Eaters lurking about outside."

Harry lowered his wand. "Then why...?"

"That is none of your concern Potter. Now I have a question for you and I want the truth. Why did you fall?" Severus saw that his question caused the young Gryffindor to become very agitated. His breathing became harsh and tiny beads of sweat formed on his forehead.

"It's nothing Sir. I just tripped over my chair."

The Potions Master knew the hurried explanation was a lie. He had seen scenes like this before with many of his other students and he knew the reasons why behind them.  "That is a lie Potter. The Headmaster may accept flat out lies from his precious Golden Boy, but I do not. I find it hard to believe that you would have trouble keeping your balance from the way you flaunt your reckless and dangerous flying skills on the Quidditch Pitch."

Harry tried to form a response, but as he looked at the older wizard's face, his mind went blank. The Potions Professor was peering at him with the same accusing gaze he used when he suspected him of rule breaking. He did not want Snape to know what his drunken uncle had done to him and how he had been unable to protect himself. If the man discovered that, he knew Snape  would revel in telling all the Slytherins. It would not be long then until the rest of the Magical World knew that their beloved savior was incapable of defending himself from a mere Muggle. Harry continued to look at his professor vacantly, earning him a snort of infuriation from the Potions Master.

"I'll ask again, Potter. Why did you fall?"

Harry flinched at the man's harsh tone and became hesitant as he saw Snape's onyx eyes narrow. Harry found himself lowering his eyes to the bare floor and mumble softy, "I just lost my balance. That's all, Professor, I swear."

Severus' eye remained narrow at the response. Part of him wanted to know why he was wearing Glamours and the other half was afraid to see what the boy was trying to conceal. When he did not get a truthful response, he huffed in irritation. "I don't have time for this," he said pointing his wand at the boy who flinched at the action. "Finite Glamours!"

The first thing the elder wizard saw were the bruises on his arms. Harry covered his face, causing him to drop his wand onto the floor. Severus' breath hitched when he saw that the numerous marks had been made by large hands. They looked days old. "Let me see your face." He strained to get it out. Harry merely hunched over even more in a vain attempt to keep his features concealed. "Harry," he said softly, "please, let me see your face." The fact he used the child's first name shocked both himself and Harry. Severus had not realized he had done so until he had spoken it. For his part, Harry had never heard the much often menacing Professor speak with such sensitivity. There was a moment of hesitation, but slowly, his arms came down and the Boy Who Lived looked-up at the Order's spy. Severus's stared at his beloved Lily's son. His face was scraped and discolored. The left side was almost completely swollen and a dark shade blue. Half of his lip was purple and also swollen. Snape's face paled. He felt as if a Bludger had hit him directly in the stomach. The boy looked like he had been thrashed by a Hungarian Horntail. But he knew that was not true since Severus knew  how Harry had received the bruises and had a good idea who caused them.

 "I-I can explain Sir," Harry started stammering, "W-When I fell...I hit my face a-against the leg of my bed. Then this...this morning, I walked into the bathroom door and gave myself the bl-black eye."

The hastily made explanation was all too familiar to Severus. He had heard hundreds of similar explanations throughout his years of teaching. But he never expected to hear the words come from perceived Savior of the Wizarding World. Severus then realized that Harry had stopped talking. He was looking at the Head of Slytherin with fearful eyes, no doubt waiting for the man to start mocking him with this priceless information. But Severus did not respond. Instead, he took hold of one of the bruised arms and began running his wand over it, performing a nonverbal Vulnera Sanentur.

Harry watched as his uncle's large finger marks disappeared. He could not believe how gentle Snape was being with him. The way he was delicately holding his arm, not causing any pain spoke to the fact he had done this many times before. As the ebony wand meticulously moved over the marks, there came no acid laced mockery from his mouth. The Potions Master's attitude was completely professional and astonished Harry. Harry did not think he would ever have believed that the stern and unpleasant man could be so benevolent even if he'd been told so. When Severus finished with his left arm, the process was repeated with his other arm.

"Look up please," Severus instructed calmly after he had healed Harry's arms. When he had Harry's attention, Severus removed the glasses and placed them on the desk. With the glasses no longer obscuring them, Severus found himself truly looking it the familiar emotion filled emerald green eyes for the first time since laying eyes on the child at the Welcoming Feast four years ago. Pain and sorrow consumed him. ‘Lily, please forgive me.' It took all of his strength to continue. Gently, he turned the discolored part of the young Gryffindor's face towards him. Placing the tip close to the surface, Severus began to move his wand in small circles against the blemished skin. Harry felt the swollen flesh around his eye begin to go down, allowing him to see again.  Once the normal color had returned, he placed his wand at Harry's swollen lip and Harry could feel the swelling going down. Quietly he said, "Episkey," and the numerous small gashes mended.  In a few seconds, all the contusion and wounds where healed. Severus handed the stunned Gryffindor his glasses.

"T-Thank you, Sir," Harry murmured softly as he put his glasses back on.

The only response he got was a subtle nod of Snape's' head. "Now I need you to listen and not interrupt me," Severus said as he placed his wand in his left wrist wand holster. "No doubt, you have many questions-"

"Of course I have questions," Harry interjected loudly as his pent-up anger suddenly flooded to the surface. "For weeks I've been cut off-"

"Potter! Now is not the time for that." The older wizard pinched his nose in annoyance. He did not have the time to explain the complexity of the situation. Part of him was not surprised that Harry did not have even a vague idea of what was happening. He had seen the way Fudge had acted when confronted with the news the Dark Lord had returned. But then the small voice in his mind countered with that fact Albus had not given him any detailed idea of how the Minister not believing the truth would change the course of things. "Your isolation was the Headmaster decision to protect not only you, but your friends as well. The chance is great that any communication sent to you or from you would have been intercepted by the Ministry. There was also the possibility that your home is being watched by Fudge's flunkies and it applies to your friends and their families as well. Now, in a few minutes, you will be escorted you to your Godfather and friends. I can't tell you where, but I can tell you it's well hidden and protected. You can ask all the questions you wish there. However, you mustn't tell anyone that I was here."

Harry looked at him with a puzzled expression. The sudden return of the malicious Potions Master rattled the Gryffindor. He had just shown Harry mere seconds ago that he was capable of being caring and patient. But the second he dared to speak his mind, the man returned to his former despicable self. Thinking how to best approach the subject, Harry contemplated that perhaps the best way was to just tell the truth. "I just don't understand, Sir."

‘Of course you don't Potter.'

"Why didn't Professor Dumbledore tell me this beforehand? Why would the Ministry want to read my mail? And what about my hearing? Why would they expel me now when I was let off for blowing-up my uncle's sister last year? I mean, I-"

Suddenly, a crash on the stairs was heard. Harry jumped but Severus remained calm. ‘That clumsy Tonks. How in Merlin's name did that woman ever become an Auror?'

 "Remember Potter," Severus said as he placed himself under a disillusionment charm, "I was never here."

----------

Harry did not know what to do or what to think. The actions of his Potions Master had thrown him for a loop. Out in the hall, Harry could hear movement and several low voices coming down the hall. When they reached his door they stopped. Harry reached down to grab his forgotten  wand. Once in hand, Harry was about to move when the door suddenly burst opened in bright flash, blinding him for a few seconds. The familiar light of a wand tip filled the darken hall and spilled into his room.

"Very clean, these Muggles," an unfamiliar female voice said from out in the hall.

"Tonks, for God's sake," a familiar gruff voice call out.

"Unnatural," the female concluded. "My dad's a Muggle and he's right-out slob but I guess it varies like wizards."

Harry saw three people standing in the door way. A tall black wizard dressed in blue robes of African design with a matching cap and a golden earring in his left ear stood behind a young looking witch with violet hair and wearing an eclectic assortment of both wizard and Muggle rock music orientated clothing. Standing in the middle leaning on a wooden staff, Harry saw the all too familiar battled scared wizard with moving magical eye.

"Professor Moody?" Harry said in surprise. The man who he had thought to have been Mad Eye Moody for the past school year had been Barty Crouch Jr. using polyjuice potion in order to get close to Harry so he would fall into Voldemort's trap. The first time he had actually seen the real Moody, the man was still imprisoned in his own magical trunk. "What are you doing here?"

"Rescuing you, of course." Moody answered.

"You don't need to be so dramatic Mad Eye," another familiar voice call from out in the hall.

 "Professor Lupin?" Harry could not help but smile as his former Defense professor came into the room. Harry saw that the man looked a little more ragged and tired looking and he remembered that the full moon was coming-up.

"Hello Harry."Remus said smiling at t his former student. He came over to him and placed his hands on Harry's shoulder. "It's good to see you again Harry. How are you? I trust you've been doing well since Sunday."

"Yah," he answered with a hallowed tone. "I'm fine." Remus' brow furrowed slightly at the response he received. Then his wolf heightened senses picked-up a familiar scent. His eyes traveled over to the corner of the room where the concealed Potions Master stood. He looked at the spot for a moment then turned his attention back to Harry.

"Is Sirius with you?" Harry asked optimistically looking over Remus' shoulder. The hope evident in his voice.

"Sirius wanted to come to get you, but Dumbledore said it wouldn't be safe for him."

"Oh." Remus frowned at the disheartened response. "So who did come with you?"

"Well you already know Alastor of course and he's the real one I assure you." Remus chuckled and was glad to see Harry smiling as a result.

"Hmpf. You all can chat away if you like, but I'm going downstairs," Moody huffed as he limped away. "Remember we're on a schedule Remus. We need to start on the journey back on time."

 "Yes well anyway, Harry this," Remus indicated to Tonks, "is Nymphadora-"

"Don't call me Nymphadora, Remus," the witch interrupted in an angry tone. Harry watched in disbelief as her violet hair turned fiery red. "It's Tonks, Harry."

"Who likes to be called by her surname," Remus continued. He then gestured to Kinsley who entered the small room. "And this is Kingsley Shacklebolt."

 "I see what you mean Remus," Kinsley said after bowing his head. "He does have Lily's eyes."

"All that and more Kingsley."

Harry looked at Remus with hopeful eyes. He knew that if anyone would answer his questions it would be his parent's best friend. "Remus," Harry began, "can you tell me what's going on? I don't get the Prophet and I haven't heard from anyone all summer."

"We'll explain everything when we get back to headquarters Harry," Tonks said as she flicked her wand which caused the lighted tip to go out.

"But headquarters of what? And how are we going to get wherever it is?"

Placing his hand back on Harry's shoulder, he gave it a confronting squeeze. "I know you have questions Harry," he said in an even tone, "but we can't talk about it here. As Alastor said, we are on a schedule. Do you have all your things together?"

"Err...no. Not really."

"How about I help Harry?" Tonks offered as her hair turned to a shade of bubble gum pink startling Harry.

Remus nodded. "Good idea Tonks. As for your second question Harry, we'll be flying. Do you have your broom?"

"Remus says you're an excellent flyer, Harry," Kinsley said from the doorway.

Harry nodded to the man. Then he turned back to his former teacher.  He did not look Remus in the eyes when he gave his response. "No. My broom is in the cupboard under the stairs."

The slightly embarrassed tone did not go unnoticed by Remus. Again, he felt there was more behind Harry's responses then he was letting on. And the fact that Severus was here was another piece of the puzzle. He could not help but wonder why the man, who had always gone out of his way to ridicule Harry at every possible moment, was standing in the corner under a disillusionment charm. He had always known of Severus' feeling for Lily. It was clearly evident to him, but not as much to James or Sirius. They just though she just took pity on the scrawny and unpopular Slytherin. But his wolf heightened senses allowed him to see and pick-up on the subtle actions between the young Slytherin and Gryffindor. Albus had never fully explained what made the man, many of whose fellow Slytherin classmates went on to become Death Eaters, to turn against Voldemort. Yet Remus had a vague idea as to why. He personally felt that it was Severus' feelings for Lily that made Severus pledge himself to Dumbledore and offer his services as a spy. Remus was brought out of his thoughts when his heightened hearing alerted him to the Potions Master silently making his way past the witch and wizards in the room and out into the hall.

"I'll get your broom Harry," Remus said turning his attention back to his friend's godson. "You and Tonks get everything together and we'll meet you downstairs." Giving Harry one last squeeze, he and Kinsley left. Harry and Tonks then started get Harry packed and ready for the journey to Grimmauld Place.

----------

While they got his trunk packed, Tonks and Harry talked about her being a Metamorphmagus and the training it took to become an Auror.  Downstairs, Alastor was keeping watch by the door while Elphias and Kinsley looked out the kitchen window as Emmeline watched out the sitting room window. Remus meanwhile found the door the cupboard under stairs locked. Then saw the bolt on the door and the small vent which caused him to raise his eyebrows. Unlocking the door, he saw the Firebolt laying carelessly on the floor. He knew that this was not the way Harry treated his beloved broom. As he picked it up, he saw a small bed pushed-up against the wall. On a tiny shelf, there were a couple of small old and broken toy knights on horseback. His nose detected Harry's scent. The scent was faint, but prevalent enough as though Harry had spent a great deal of time in the small cupboard. All this caused a dark thought to form in his mind.

‘No,' Remus thought as he started into the small space. ‘It couldn't be true.'

Harry's and Tonks' steps coming down the stairs got Remus moving again. Harry's trunk and Hedwig's cage were floating behind Tonks. He handed Harry his broom, but did not say anything about what he saw after seeing Harry eyeing the closed door. When he told Harry of the letter he had left for his relatives, Harry's disheartening response only added to his fear about Harry's relationship with his aunt and uncle. After introducing Harry to Elphias and Emmeline, Moody told the group it was time to go.

"Right, Harry, we're flying in tight formation," Moody said as he led the small group out the front door, his eyes scanning the night sky. Once they were on the street, Moody tapped the ground with his staff and Harry saw the brooms of each witch and wizard coming zooming towards them from out of nowhere. "Tonks'll be to your right and Lupin'll be behind you. Kinsley, you take point. Elphias and Emmeline will take the rear. I'm lead." Everyone took their assigned spots. Across the street, Harry could see Mrs. Figg looking straight at them through her window.  She gave him a small smile. "Remember," Moody continued, "stay in formation, everyone. Don't break ranks if one of us is killed."

Tonks rolled her eyes at her former mentor. "Real cheerful Mad Eye. "Here you go Harry," she said as she shrunk his trunk and Hedwig's empty cage and handed them to him. "This'll make it easier for you to keep hold of them during the flight."

Harry pocked the items and thanked her but he still had a nervous look on his face due to the older Auror's comment. "I-Is there a chance we could get a-attacked?"

"Don't worry Harry, no one will be killed," Kinsley calmly told him.

"Even if something should happen, we have people standing by to escort you," Elphias added in his wheezy-like voice.

"But it shouldn't come to that," Emmileine assured Harry serenely as she securely fastened her emerald green shawl.

"Alright everyone, mount your broom," Remus instructed. Once mounted, he called out, "On Alastor's mark everyone."

With that, the former Auror counted off and the small group kicked off and flew off into the night sky. As Arabella watched from her window as they took off, she said a silent prayer asking that Harry and the rest reached headquarters safely. Moving away from her window, Arabella did not see Severus appear in the Dursley's driveway as he canceled his Disillusionment charm. He had seen that Remus had detected his presence in Harry's room, but did not mention it to the rest of the Order members. He recalled the look of disbelief on the man's face as he stood looking into the small cupboards as he quietly came down the stairs managing to avoid being detected by Moody's magical eye. He did not have time to ponder it as Tonks and Harry came down the stairs. Remus had been the last one out the door and he allowed the man time to exit before himself. Knowing it would take the guard a while to reach headquarters, he disapparated to Grimmauld Place to avoid running into the guard and Harry.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please, please, please don’t forget to leave your reviews.I look forward to reading what you thought about this chapter, practically about the interaction between Harry and Severus and of how I blended the book and movie together. I find myself breaking my rule of not retelling the novel but I just can’t seem to help it. But I do plan on making a great many drastic changes to the story canon. I won’t have in this story since this one focus on Harry’s summer before the start of his fifth year.
Vulnera Sanentur and Episkey are healing spells. Vulnera Sanentur “means may the wounds heal.” Episkey means “repair.” This one is used for minor injuries.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2578