Enigma by GrandMoffAmbrius
Summary: After the return of Lord Voldemort, Harry's world becomes one of danger and fear. Sent by the headmaster to watch the boy, Serveus Snape finds himself in a position where he is forced to look after Harry and learns many new things about the child.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Bill, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hedwig, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Oliver Wood, Percy, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 64857 Read: 64951 Published: 30 Jun 2011 Updated: 07 Jul 2012
Chapter 4 The Mirror’s Shattered Shards by GrandMoffAmbrius
Author's Notes:
See Prolog for Disclaimer. Again, this chapter had not been professionaly Beated when I first wrote and posted it over on FanFiction. I went throught it and hopefuly I left few to no mistakes. The next chapter will have been edited by my current Beta. No Harry this chapter. Minerva is brought into the fold and Severus has supper with the Malfoys.
Reaching his chambers, Severus headed straight to the cabinet where he kept his Pensieve. Setting it on the table, Severus pointed his wand to his temple and performed the nonverbal memory extraction spell as he concentrated on everything he had witnessed at Potter's home. A long silvery strand of memory clung to the tip as he slowly withdrew his wand. Gently, he placed the memory in the shimmering silver liquid. Once he safely stored, Severus walked over to his fireplace and tossed a handful of powder into the flames.

"Headmaster's office," he called out as he stepped into the emerald flames.

Stepping onto the floor of the Headmaster's office Severus was surprised to see that Dumbledore was not there. Fawkes shifted on his perch and stared at Severus. "Albus," he called out, "Albus where are you? I haven't the time for your games!"

"The Headmaster isn't here," the voice of Phineas Nigellus stated from his portrait.

"Where is he?" Snape demanded.

"All he said was that he had some important matters to see to and that he would be late in returning."

"Blasted Dumbledore," Severus muttered. "When he returns, tell him it's important that I see him at once."

Not waiting for a reply, Severus turned with his robe billowing behind him as he stepped back into the emerald flames and disappeared.

"Students," Phineas Nigellus said when the flames died down. "No respect no matter how old they get." Fawkes squawked in agreement

Back in his chambers, Severus finally noticed the rumbling of his empty stomach. He called for the school house elf that had been assigned to him, "Axelrod," and a second later, an elf with large ears and blue eyes appeared with a pop before him.

"Master Severus called," he said in a slightly hyperactive soft voice.

"Yes. Bring me something to eat."

"Yes Master Severus," he answered with a bow before he popped away.

Seconds later, Axelrod returned with a tray of warm roast beef and a fresh salad. As he ate his late meal, Severus wondered where Albus had gone off to as there was no Order meeting scheduled for tonight.

After he had finished and the elf took the tray away, the Potions Master made a beeline to his liquor cabinet and poured himself a large glass of Firewhisky. Downing the liquid on a single gulp, he poured himself another and settled down in one of the large black armchairs that faced the fireplace. Sipping the warm auburn liquid, Severus allowed his mind to wonder as he stared into the scarlet flames. A jumble of images of Potter played a crossed his mind. He saw the disrespectful and defiant boy from school then the image switched to the seeming obedient and timed boy he had just witnessed. Things simply did not add up.

Originally, he was just going to spend a few hours watching the boy and be done with the matter. But hearing Arabella's concerns of and witnessing the treatment of Lily' son by his own relatives made the Potions Master stay longer then he had planned. The chiming of the clock on the wall drew him out of his computation. It was already two in the morning. Deciding to go speak with the Headmaster in the morning, Severus headed to bed.

----------

Severus rose late the next day. It was near noon when he finished showering and got dressed. His mind turned to Albus and showing him the memory. His stomach started to churn at the thought, causing him to call out for Axelrod to have the elf bring him some tea to help settle his stomach.  As he sat and drank his tea, the fireplace came alive in green flames.

‘'Bout time Albus,' Severus thought.

But he head that appear in the flames, was not Dumbledore.

"Ah Severus," Lucius Malfoy replied when he saw the Potions Master, "I'm glad I caught you. I was afraid that you already left for the summer."

"I would have, but the melding codger had me see to several ridicules matters for him," Severus answered in the appropriate Slytherin fashion, "I would have refused but I figured that if I did as he asked, I might be able to learn anything useful."

"How very Slytherin of you my friend."

"Yes. To what do I owe to the pleasure of your visit Lucius?"

The senior Malfoy smiled. "Narcissa and I were wondering if you would like to join us for supper tonight."

"Please tell Narcissa that I would be delighted to join you," Severus answered after a moment of thought.

"Wonderful. We'll see you around six then."

"Very well. And how many...?"

Even without finishing, Lucius knew what he was being asked.

"It'll just be the four of us tonight."

"Just thought to ask. I'll see you tonight Lucius."

"Till tonight then," and Lucius' head withdrew from the flames.

Once the flames had died down, Severus brought his hands up to massage his temples.

"Dinner with the Malfoys. How wonderful," Severus sarcastically said to himself.

Needing a distinction, the Potions Master turned his attention to finish packing for his return to Spinner's End. As got his papers and things in order, he wondered why Dumbledore still had not come to see him. His clock stated it was three o' clock. Surely Diggle and the other portraits would have given the man his message. Stopping his packing in mid-action, he walked back to the fireplace and flooed off to Albus' office.

Again he found an empty office except for a slumbering Fawkes. Severus was now beyond irritated. "Where is he?" he asked as he stormed away. Having enough of floo travel, Snape made his way to the door and went down the spiral staircase. At the bottom, he decided to go see if Minerva had any notion of where Albus was.

Minerva was busy attending to the first year letters when she heard a knock at her door. Setting down her quill, she rose from her seat and walked to the door where she was mildly surprised to see Severus on the other side.

"Good afternoon Severus."

"Minerva," he replied with a slight nod, "may I come in?"

"Please," and she stood aside and unshed her former pupil inside,

Taking a seat in one of the chairs before her desk, he spied the stack of envelopes. "I hope I didn't interrupt you."

"Oh no," she replied as she resumed her seat, "I was just addressing the first years letters is all. So what can I do for you?"

"I was hoping you would know where Albus is."

"Yes I do. He's at the Ministry."

"Oh great," he scoffed, "he's off trying to get through that thick headed Fudge even though I left a message telling him that I had to speak to him at once last night."

"I assure Severus that's not the issue though I wish it was. Albus received Kinsley's Patronus early this morning and told him that he had to floo directly to the Ministry immediately. Cornelius was moving to have Albus removed from the Wizengamot and scheduled the vote in secret for this morning."

Severus' eyes widen. "Have you heard from him?"

"No and I'm getting worried. If Albus is removed from the Wizengamot...things could get more difficult for our side."

"I'm afraid they're about to regardless," Severus replied softly but the Deputy-Headmistress' sharp hearing still caught it.

"What do you mean Severus?"

She peered over her square frames at him and Severus found himself squirming in his seat. Here he was, a man over thirty and he still could be intimidated by his former Transfiguration teacher. Knowing she could tell if he was lying, he figured he would tell her the truth but not in great detail.

"In a way to serve out a request of the Dark Lord," he began, "Albus sent me to Potter's residence to watch the boy. I flooed to Arabella's first and she told me of concerns she had about Potter's relatives. From what I observed, I think she may have been right. After I returned last night, I placed my memories into my Pensieve to show Albus but since he wasn't there, I left a message stating I needed to see him as soon as possible with Nigellus' portrait. I came to you when saw he wasn't in his office."

Minerva's mouth had turned into a very thin line when the Potions Master had finished. He could tell she was becoming angry; Severus could feel the waves of magic flow from her. Suddenly she stood up and walked over to the fireplace and began to pace.

"I knew it. I just knew it. I told Albus that it was a mistake. I told him they were the worst sort of Muggles possible but he didn't listen to me. When I see him next..."

Severus could not help but smirk. The normally calm and composed Professor McGonagall was acting just as he did when Albus told him something that upset him. He was suddenly reminded of the moment in Albus' office after Potter's first potions lesson, he had been going off on Potter while the Headmaster calmly read his Transfiguration Weekly. "Minerva, please calm down."

"Calm down? How can I calm down when Potter may be in danger? I told Albus that leaving him with those people was wrong. Wards or no wards, there was something wrong with that family. May I see your memory Severus?"

From her tone, Severus decided to handle the situation with all his Slytherin delicately. "I'll let you see it Minerva when Albus sees it. I'm sure the last thing he needs is you off cursing Potter's aunt and uncle. I must see as soon as possible. Can you wait for him in his office and keep him there. "

"Yes but why can't you wait for him?"

"Lucius invited me early this afternoon for supper tonight. Had I turned him down, he might have become suspicious."

Minerva nodded in agreement. "True. Very well. I'll go and wait for Albus and keep him in his office even if I have to stun him."

The sight of a stunned Dumbledore was something Severus would love to see. "I don't know what time I'll return but I'll try my best to return by nine at the latest."

She nodded and he returned the gesture. Taking his leave, Snape headed to her door.

"Severus," Minerva called out and Severus turned and saw the worry all over her face. "Is it that bad? About Harry?"

Her concern was evident by her tone and how she said Harry's name. "I pray that it's not."

After the door had closed, a worried Minerva sat back down to resume addressing the first year letters but instead she just sat at her desk for several minutes not moving at all.

----------

By the time to leave for Malfoy Manor, Severus was all ready to travel back to Spinner's End. With luck, he would din with the Malfoy's, return to Hogwarts, show Dumbledore and McGonagall his memory and be off to his parent's home by midnight. Albus and Minerva could take it from there with Potter and he would be done with Potter for the rest of the summer.

All Severus wanted was to be done with the entire affair. Yet he could not get the image of the young wizard out of his mind. The image he had long clung to was of the spoiled, rule breaking, attention seeking replica of his father. But after seeing the boy away from school and interacting with his Muggle relatives, Severus felt as if he had walked into a looking glass world. Then it felt like that looking glass world had fallen and shatter into a thousand pieces with him inside of it.

But he could not think of it now. He had to make sure his mind was clear before he meet with Lucius. Taking several deep breaths, Snape made sure his occumental shields were up and stable. With that done, he left his quarters and made his way out of the castle and down to the gate. Once crossed the gate threshold, Severus disapparated.

Snape found himself on a familiar country lane and made his way to the wrought iron gate that was located down the lane behind the high hedge that ran along the right side of the lane. When he reached the gate, Severus walked right through it and felt himself cross the property's protective wards. Walking up the gravel lane, his cloak flapping behind him. Malfoy manner rose before him. Severus could hear the running water of one of the numerous fountains and saw several of the white peacocks that strolled throughout the well kept lawn and gardens. Several where standing in the middle of the lane and flew off as to avoid the Potions Master who continued straight towards them. Severus made his way up the steps to the front door came to the steps which opened-up to reveal waiting a decrepit looking house elf in a smock at the threshold.

"Enter," he said in a withered sounding voice.

Once Snape had entered, the doors closed behind him.

"I take your cloak sir?"

"Yes," Severus said as he removed the robe and handed to it to the waiting elf. The elf bowed and popped away, leaving Severus alone in the entrance hall. The main foyer was a vast area with a grand staircase leading up to the second floor and a large fireplace facing the door. Hanging overhead was a great iron chandelier. The floor was dark marble with rich carpet over it. Arched doorways opened-up in dimly lit corridors to the left and right of the hall. Two more hallways stood on both sides of the staircase leading into darkness. Movement on the stairway caught his attention.

Narcissa Malfoy came majestically down the stairway dressed in a dark midnight blue dress. "Severus, welcome," she said warmly as she held out her hand when she neared him.

"Narcissa," he replied as he took her hand, "thank you for inviting me this evening."

"The pleasure is ours," Narcissa responded, "Lucius is in the library. This way," she gestured towards the hallway to the left, "

Severus followed Narcissa and after a few short moments, they came to a large wooden door. With a knock; Narcissa opened the door and led Severus inside.

The library was a large vaulted room. A great arched window overlooked the southern part of the vast grounds. A large glass globe with a perfect model of the nighttime heavens within it sat before the window next to a telescope. Numerous books and ancient volumes filled the bookshelves on the walls. On the opposite side of the wall facing the window was a large dark wood desk and a rich emerald green settee. Two black leathered arched-backed chairs faced the fireplace. Over the mantle of the fireplace was a full length portrait of Lucius' father, Abraxas Malfoy.

Lucius was standing before the roaring fireplace, looking up at his father's portrait. Severus figured Lucius was deep in thought as he did not realized that his wife and dinner guest were standing in the doorway. After a few seconds, Narcissa made a small coughing sound with her throat to gain her husband's attention.

"Lucius, Severus has arrived," she when he finally turned around.

"Ah, Severus. So good you could make it," Lucius replied as he held out his hand as he walked over to the pair.

"Lucius," Snape said as he took the man's hand.

"Thank you my dear," Lucius said to his wife.

"You're welcome," she replied. "Well, I need to see how supper is coming along. I'll see you two in a while."

After she closed the door behind her, Lucius walked over to the liquor cart. "Can I offer you a brandy, Severus?"

"That you be most welcomed."

Severus watched as Lucius poured two glasses of brandy and offered one of the glasses to the Potions Master. "Thank you."

Lucius gave a small nodded and lead Severus to the two chairs. Severus sat down in the chair to the right since he saw Lucius' walking stick against the one on the left.

They sat and enjoyed their drinks for a couple of minutes. Looking up, Severus regarded the portrait of Lucius' father. Abraxas Malfoy had a strong face. Unlike his son and grandson, Abraxas had short silvery-white hair with just a few traces of grey with a well trimmed goatee and beard. Like a true Malfoy, Abraxas had a look superiority on his face. His dark penetrating eyes were indeed intimidating. Dresses in rich brown robes, he wore his outer brown silk robe around his shoulders clasped with a sliver chain. An Order of Merlin First Class medal hung around his neck. Next to him was a table with a steaming caldron over a fire with a shelf stoked with potion ingredients in the background. Abraxas has been a famous Potions Master and had been the Dark Lord's first Potioner before Severus had been pulled into that world.

"Enjoying your summer so far?" Lucius asked, drawing Snape out of his thoughts.

"So far," he replied. "I'll be glad when I'm finally able to return to my own dwellings. I would have already done so but that melding old codger had me stay and brew potions for the hospital wing later than usual. Normally I would have refused but as I said, I figured I might learn something about his plans to report to the Dark Lord."

"Smart move my friend."

"Yes. How has Draco been enjoying his summer?"

"Just fine. I'm having him work on his summer studies for three hours a day. He's protested of course but I told him that with his O.W.L.s coming up this year, he has to make sure to live up to the Malfoy legacy."

"I'm confident that young Draco will pass his O.W.L.s with ease."

"We'll see. Right now he's outside flying."

Taking another sip, Severus decided to move the conversation to another topic. "Have you been summoned by the Dark Lord since the last meeting?"

"That's an odd question to ask," Lucius replied as he sat his glass down, "I take it that this is something Dumbledore put you up too?"

"Of course it is," Severus replied in character. "He's becoming paranoid that I've not been summon since the last meeting for any private meetings. He fears that the Dark Lord is confiding in you more than in me apparently."

Lucius smirked as he lightly chuckled. "The old fool. I haven't been summoned since the last meeting just as you haven't. I've been busy at the Ministry dealing with Fudge."

"So I've heard. Removing Dumbledore from the Wizengamot. An ingenious move. How did you think of that idea?"

"During one of his ravings about Dumbledore, I casually mention that being Minister, he could put forth a Vote-of-No-Confidence in Dumbledore's leadership and justify it with how he's starting to lose his grip on reality. I told Fudge that I did have some pull with some members and that if he ever called for an emergency meeting to discuss Dumbledore's removal due to his dangerous accusations that I would do what I could with them. And the fool to the bait. No matter how many Dumbledore may have on his side, with mine and Fudge's factions, there are enough votes to out that Muggle loving idiot."

"I'm sure the Dark Lord will be very pleased with you, Lucius."

"I know he'll be. By the by, what did the Dark Lord wish to speak to you privately about after the meeting?"

Before Snape could think of an excuse, the house elf appeared with a pop before them. "Mistress Malfoy told Kreepling to tell yous that supper is ready in the Dining room and that she and young Master Malfoy is waiting for yous," he said in a raspy voice.

"Tell Mistress Malfoy that we'll be there soon."

With a deep bow the elf popped away.

"Let us finish this conversation later my friend."

Severus nodded and followed Lucius out of the library. As they walked the long the hall, Severus felt the eyes of the portraits follow them to the dining room. Narcissa and Draco where already seated when they arrived. The dining room was opulently decorated just like the rest of the manor. Rich drapery hung by the windows and the polished wood of the table and chairs gleamed. A large non magical portrait of the Malfoys hung o n the wall. Draco stood in between his parents as Lucius held his snake headed walking stick in his right hand while his left was on his son's shoulder and Narcissa had her right hand on her son's other shoulder. The table was set with highly polished silver cutlery and plates. Narcissa smiled at her husband as he took the seat across from her.

"Hello Professor Snape," Draco said as the man took the seat across from him.

"Draco," Snape replied. "I trust you've been enjoying your summer?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And you haven't been neglecting your studies? With your O.W.L.s taking place this year, I would be greatly disappointed if I were to learn that you didn't live up to the potential I know you're capable of."

Severus saw the young Slytherin's eyes dart down as he sifted slightly in his seat before he looked back up at his Head of House. "No Sir, I've been keeping up."

"Excellent. Then I'm sure you'll do fine with your exams."

"If Draco is anything like his father," Narcissa exclaimed, "then he'll achieve his fair share of Outstandings on his test."

‘Hopefully he'll not turn out like his father in everything," Severus thought to himself as he unfolded his napkin.

"Kreepling," Lucius called out for the House Elf who appeared a second later.

"Yes Sir Master Malfoy?"

"We're ready to be served."

Kreepling snapped his fingers and an elegant meal of roast lamb and side dishes appeared on the table. After the food had been served and their glasses filled, Lucius held his up in a salute.

"The Dark Lord," he exclaimed with pride.

"The Dark Lord," the three mirrored.

As the meal got underway, talk revolved around various topics that where occurring in the Magical World. As the Malfoys went on about their Pure-Blood views on particular matters, Severus could not help but compare the family dining before him with the one he had seen at Privet Drive. Unlike Potter who was completely ignored by his relatives but who also cooked the meal and cleared the table, Draco was showered with attention by his parents and he had never been forced into lift a finger in any sort of preparation or cleaning. They had a House Elf for that.

"You're being awful quit Severus," Lucius commented.

"I'm sorry Lucius. I was just thing about a...task I've got to do later."

"Is the one the Dark Lord gave you?" Draco interjected.

"Draco," Narcissa interjected forcefully and gave her son a stern look.

Draco casted his eyes down at his plate. "Sorry mother."

Narcissa threw her husband an irate look causing the Senior Malfoy took a deep drink of his wine before addressing him.

"I'm sorry Severus. Narcissa has asked that certain topics not be addressed at the dining table. Even with the...appropriate company present."

"There are just some things just should not be discussed about while dining," Narcissa retorted as she resumed her eating.

"Perfectly understandable Narcissa," Snape responded.

----------

The rest of the meal went on in a more pleasant manner. When they had finished their desert, the three of them retired to the drawing room while Draco was sent to finish his school work for the day which happened to be his Potions easy. Sticking to his role, Severus offered to look over the finished product for his student.

"So what did the Dark Lord wish to speak to you about?" Lucius discreetly asked as he handed a drink to Severus.

Severus took a drink before speaking. "I'm afraid I cannot say. The Dark Lord himself forbad me to speak to anyone about it."

"I see. Well it must be something important then-".

"Lucius, please, you promised," Narcissa pleaded.

"As you wish my dear," he acknowledged with a bow of his head.

Severus was glad to hear that. While he had to maintain his outward appearance, inside, he despised talking about the dealings of the Death Eaters. Draco appeared several minuets latter with the first draft of his Potions essay.  After looking over the essay and making several editorial suggestions, he handed it back to the young Slytherin. Severus spent the rest of the evening talking about the up-coming school year with the Malfoys and some of the new potions he was working on when the large black grandfather clock in the corner chimed nine.

"Is it nine already? I'm afraid I must call it a night," he said as he stood up from the black leathered chair.

"If you must," Lucius replied as he too stood-up. "I'll see you to the door."

"Thank you for a lovely time Narcissa," Snape said with a bow of his head.

"We were glad to have you Severus."

"Draco, enjoy the rest of your summer and keep-up with your studies."

"I will and thank you again for your help Professor."

Severus followed his host to the entrance hall where Kreepling was standing with his cloak.

 "I hope you enjoyed yourself my friend," Lucius replied as he held the door for Snape.

"I did. Thank you again Lucius and I'll see you soon."

"Till then. Goodnight Severus."

The door closed behind him as he stepped outside. Making his way down the lane and pass the protective wards, the Potions Master disapparated once he stepped onto the county lane back to Hogwarts. But as he apparated at the gates, he felt a mild burning sensation on his left forearm. The Dark Lord was summoning him for a private meeting. Quickly, he sent off his Patronus to the Headmasters' office to inform him of the change of plans.

"The perfect ending to a perfect nigh," Snape exclaimed before he once again apparated away.

To be continued...
End Notes:
When I first wrote and posted this chapter on FF, Malfoy Manor had not been introduced yet. Amazingly, my personal lay out was very similar to the movie. I based on the Malfoy library upon the Castle Frankenstein library from the movie Son of Frankenstein andI based the portrait of Abraxas Malfoy on the portrait of Baron Henry Frankenstein in Son of Frankenstein too. The physical description of Abraxas Malfoy is based on Sir Christopher Lee portrayal of Count Dooku from Star Wars. Both Axelrod and Kreepling are original house elves of my own creation.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2578