Enigma by GrandMoffAmbrius
Summary: After the return of Lord Voldemort, Harry's world becomes one of danger and fear. Sent by the headmaster to watch the boy, Serveus Snape finds himself in a position where he is forced to look after Harry and learns many new things about the child.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Bill, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hedwig, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Oliver Wood, Percy, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 64857 Read: 64937 Published: 30 Jun 2011 Updated: 07 Jul 2012
Chapter 6 Desired Questions and Unwanted Answers by GrandMoffAmbrius
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. If I did, then things would be a whole lot different.
A/N: Thank my Beta, Alethea27 for all her hard work. A long chapter for you to enjoy this time. This chapter follows the novel’s account of Harry and his relatives after the Dementors attack on him and Dudley. I did change a few of the details around and added a few things from the movie. This chapter begins during and after the events of the last chapter. The time schedule I created results in Harry being attacked on Sunday.

 

Upon returning to Number 4, Dudley was shaking violently, deathly pale and sweating. Harry was still trying to process what had just happened. Not only had he and Dudley been attacked by a pair of Dementors and Harry had to perform magic to save the both of them but Mrs. Figg was actually a Squid and knew Dumbledore. She had known about the Wizarding World and him his entire life but she never told him a thing. All on Dumbledore's orders she had informed him. Harry could not help but feelings of anger and resent towards the Headmaster.

Petunia rushed to Dudley's side when she saw the state of her son when her nephew brought him into the living room. Her calls of worry and concern brought Vernon in from the kitchen who voiced equal concern. Ignoring their nephew, Vernon helped their son into a chair while Petunia left and returned with a towel and waste bucket. A second after the towel was wrapped around his neck and handed the bucket, Dudley vomited.

"Oh Diddy what happened?" Petunia pleaded one he had stopped vomiting.

"Come on son, you can tell us," Vernon said as he took the bucket away from Dudley.

"Fell down..." Dudley began shakily but he did not finish. Instead he reached for the bucket and acted as if he was going to throw-up again but just heaved heavily. Looking back-up, he had large black circles under his eyes set off by the paleness of his skin. A fine sheen of sweat covered his face and he looked like he could pass out at any second.

Petunia placed a hand on his forehead to feel his temperature. Dudley had stopped shaking but he still had not spoken. "Oh pumpkin who did this?" Petunia asked as she crouched down to look her son in the face.

"Tell us their names sons and we'll call the police and have the whole lot thrown in jail and the key tossed away," Vernon said as he too crouched down next to his son.

Looking-up, Dudley managed to point a trembling at Harry, "Him."

Vernon was upon him in an instant. "What did you do to my son you freak?"

Before he could answer, an owl flew in and dropped a letter in front of Harry. The letter was from the Ministry for Magic. Vernon demanded Harry to read the letter and when he heard that Harry had been expelled, Vernon leered at Harry and replied with gleeful malice, "Justice!"

"Not now Vernon. What happened to my Diddy?" Petunia pleaded, "Why is so sick?" Oh Diddles." She wrapped her thin arms around her son and hugged him. Harry saw that her tears were starting to form tears. Deep inside, Harry wished that she had shown such concern for him when he was growing-up."

"Yes, yes Pet," Vernon assured his wife and turned back to Harry, "Well boy you heard your Aunt. What's wrong with our son? What did you do to him?"

"It was me. It was the Dementors," Harry began, "Two of them. We..."

"A what? What are you going on about boy?" Vernon asked sharply.

"De-men-tors," Harry emphasized. "Two of them attacked us."

"What in the bloody Hell are Dementors?" his uncle interrupted.

"They guard, the wizard prison Azkaban," Petunia stated causing her to get looks of disbelief from her husband and nephew.

 "How do you know that?" Harry asked in total disbelief.

"Pet...how..." Vernon stammered.

Petunia looked mortified at her actions. She gave her husband an apologetic look and answered shaky, "I heard that...awful boy telling her about them."

Vernon did not know how to respond to his wife. Harry just stared at her in disbelief. His Aunt Petunia had never given the appearance that she knew anything about the Magical World at all. The only thing Harry had ever heard on the subject was how much she had despised her own sister and how she saw it all as unnatural. An awkward silence filled the room for several second but was broken by loud hoot. An owl soared in through the kitchen window, with a loud swoosh, holding a letter in it's beak. Flying in to the sitting room, it flew over Vernon, who ducked, and then circled the room before it landed on the kitchen table. Harry went over, took the offered the letter, and the owl took off through the open window.

"Owls!" Harry heard his uncle mutter loudly. He did not listen to the rest of his uncle's rant as he opened the letter. It was from Mr. Weasley who instructed Harry not leave the house or surrender his wand to anybody. Dumbledore was at the Ministry and trying to sort everything out. Harry was slightly relieved by this news. He tried to think everything over, but his uncle's loud voiced pulled him out of his thoughts. When he told him who the letter was from and what it said, the man became more furious. Vernon then grabbed Harry by the arm and waved his fat finger in his face. "I won't ask you again boy," he said in a deadly tone, "What happened to my son?"

Harry sighted and started at the beginning, doing his best to control his temperature. "We were coming back from the park when it started to rain. By the time we got to the alleyway between Magnolia Crescent and Wisteria Walk, it had stopped. Dudley still was hassling me so I pulled out my-"

"Wand," Dudley croaked. "He...pointed it at...me...and...pushed me against...the wall."

"You physical assaulted my son with that thing!" Vernon shouted, his eyes filled with anger and his grip tightened on his nephew's arm. "You put some type of spell on him!"

"NO!" Harry shouted and pulled his arm back. "All I was trying to do was get Dudley to back off, but all of a sudden, it got icy cold and Dudley started gasping and shaking. He fell to the ground telling me to stop whatever it was I was doing to him. But since it wasn't me, there was nothing I could do!" Harry could feel his magic and anger building-up inside of him. He started to feel like he could explode at any moment. The last time he felt like this was two years ago when his uncle's sister Marge was staying with them. She had been putting down his mother and father causing Harry to get very angry and accidently cause the women to blow-up like a balloon and take off into the sky. His uncle must have felt the waves of magic flowing from his nephew because he took several steps away from Harry till he was almost next to his wife and son. Harry also noticed his aunt looking worried and frightened.

"What happened next son?" Vernon asked Dudley in a shaky tone.

"Got...cold...then all...dark," Dudley began hoarsely, "then...heard things in...in my...mind," he shuddered.

"That's when the Dementors showed-up at the other end of the alley," Harry said to his aunt and uncle.

"Felt like...like..."

"Like you would never be happy again," Harry finished for his cousin in a flat tone.

Dudley shook his head in agreement. Vernon looked from son to nephew with a mixture of confusion, worry, and infuriation. "What's all this codswallop?" Vernon demanded, "What did these Dementodis do to Dudley?"

 "They make you feel like all the happiness is gone from the world. They can also make a person experience their worst fears. And if given a chance, they'll kiss you-"

"Kiss you?" Vernon interrupted in disbelief.

"That's how they suck out your soul." Harry finished. He saw his uncle's eyes grow larger until it looked like they were going to pop out of his head. His aunt let out a shrill and started to shake her son. To Harry, it appeared as if she was trying to hear his soul rattling inside of him.

"They didn't take it, Aunt Petunia," Harry told her, but she continued to shake Dudley. "You would have noticed if they had. He wouldn't have been able to talk at all."

Hearing Harry's statement, Petunia let go if her son. She looked-up at him with wide eyes and asked, "How did...how did you...get rid of them?"

"I managed to drive them off with my Patronus-"

"Your what?" Vernon asked in an aggravated tone.

"My Patronus." Harry replied, trying to remain calm. "It's a magical charm that -" Vernon hissed at the use of the words magical and charm. "It wards off Dementors, but I had to use my wand to cast it-"

"And you can't use magic outside of the freak school of yours can you?" Vernon sneered.

"No," Harry answered through his clenched teeth. "But it was the only way I could save Dudley. I cast my Patronus and it drove the Dementors off before they could perform the kiss on Dudley."

"But you had to use magic didn't you?" Vernon asked with narrow eyes. "That's the final straw that made them kick you out, isn't it?"

Harry did not answer his uncle. He stared defiantly at the large purple faced man whose own glare stared to falter. Twitching his upper lip, Vernon broke eye contact with Harry and hurried back to Petunia and Dudley. "It's ok son," Vernon said as he clasped his son's shoulder with a thump, "We'll get you to the doctor and you'll be as good as new in no time."

"The best thing for him would be chocolate." Harry instructed. "It helps in countering the effects of the Dementors-"

"Stop talking about all that abnormality!" Vernon shouted his face now the deep beet red. "Dudley wouldn't be in this state if it wasn't for you! You and your freakiness have brought nothing but trouble into this house since the moment that crackpot old fool left you on our doorstep!"

"It's not my fault!" Harry shouted back, "If I hadn't been there and used magic, Dudley would have gotten his soul sucked out of him!"

"And look what that did to you," Vernon replied in a satisfied huff. "They kicked you out of that loony bin of a school. Well like I said before, justice been served. Now there's no way they'll allow you back at the school ever again and you'll never see of those wretched red heads, blasted giant or any another of those blasted weirdo -"

Vernon never got a chance to continue. Another owl, a smaller puffy one, soared in though the open window seconds later. Flying over Vernon's head, the bird circled the room before settling on the back of the coach. It was Pigwidgeon, Ron's owl. Extending its small leg, Harry was quick to relieve him of the piece of parchment. Once he had done so, Pigwidgeon took off through the window again.

ENOUGH WITH THE BLOODY OWLS!" Vernon hollered as he ran to the kitchen window, fearing more owls were going to soar in and slammed it shut, barely managing not to break it. He was not happy with the constant stream of owls flying into his house. His face grew a deeper shade of red with each new arrival, aggravating the man more as they flew over him. Petunia let out a screech and draped herself over her son to protect him from the swooping brides.

"I can't do anything about that," Harry said. Opening the envelope and taking out the piece of parchment, Harry found it was from Sirius. He too instructed Harry under no circumstance to leave his aunt and uncle's house. Harry was both relieved and upset by his Godfather's short message. This had been the only form of communication he had received from Sirius all summer. He had also not received any letters from either Ron or Hermione either. Harry had been cut off from his friends, Sirius, and the Wizarding world all summer. The thought of it caused resentment to grow inside of Harry.

Suddenly, both he and his relatives heard a loud whooshing sound and another owl swooped out from the living-room chimney and dropped an envelope at Harry's feet before flying back-up the chimney. This irritated Vernon even more.  This letter informed him that Dumbledore had managed to get his expulsion postponed pending a formal hearing at the Ministry.

‘Great,' Harry thought, ‘They're not coming for my wand and I'm not expelled at the moment but now I have a hearing to go to. And they can still expel me if they decide I'm still guilty?'                            

Harry was brought out of thought by his yelling uncle who was demanding his nephew to tell him why there were Dementors in Little Whinging in the first place. All Harry could think of as a reply was that Voldemort had sent them. Hearing this news did not sit well with his Uncle Vernon. He grabbed Harry by his collar and told him he was to leave the house at once. Harry however stood his ground and did not move. but his uncle kept on bellowing for him to get out. He was silenced by the arrival of yet another owl which tumbled down the chimney. This owl looked petrified and then Harry saw that it was carrying a red envelope in its beak which Harry recognized as a Howler. Quickly depositing the envelope in his Aunt Petunia's lap, the owl flew as fast as it could back-up the chimney. A moment later, the Howler exploded and an angry voice called out, "REMENBER MY LAST PETUNIA!"

That was the end of the argument. After several tense minuets, Petunia, in a frightened tone, told her husband that they could not kick Harry out because the neighbors would begin to ask questions. If there was one thing the Dursleys hated more than magic, it was being the topic of neighborhood gossip and scandal. Harry was ushered by his aunt back to his room, but when he tried to question her, his uncle shouted, and Harry hurried upstairs to his room.

-----

"I WANT TO KNOW WHY AND WHO IN THE HELL SENT THOSE DEMENTORS AFTER HARRY, ALBUS AND I WANT TO NOW!" Sirius Black shouted as he slammed his fist down on the table. Standing over the table, he looked around at the other ten individuals. Several of them looked frightened by his outburst and for good reason. At that moment Sirius looked every bit mad and dangerous the majority of the Wizarding World thought him to be.

It was the Monday night following the dementor attack on Harry and Albus had called an emergency Order meeting to discuss the situation. Albus had only contacted those who would be of the greatest asset in regards to this drastic development. Sitting around the dining room table with Dumbledore and Sirius were Snape, Remus, Arthur and Molly Weasley, Alastor Moody, Kinsley Shacklebolt, Nymphadora Tonks and Minerva McGonagall. Just as he called the meeting to order, Sirius let loose all of his pent-up anger over Harry. Everybody at the table could feel the magic that flowed from Sirius during his rant and none dared to interrupt him in fear he might hex them. Even Severus, who was never afraid to tell the man exactly what he thought about him, remained silent. Sirius continued for several more minutes before finally stopping to catch his breath. Casting a waverley glance to the other members, Remus decided to take the opportunity to try and settle his friend down.

 "Sirius," Remus began evenly. "We all want to know that, but first you need to calm down-"

"CALM DOWN?" the man yelled cutting Remus off, "CALM DOWN? MY GODSON WAS ATTACKED BY DEMENTORS FOR GOD SAKES! WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO HIM AND HIS COUSIN IF HARRY HADN'T HAD HIS WAND WITH HIM? I'LL TELL YOU, BOTH OF THEM WOULD HAVE HAD THEIR-"

 "Sirius that's enough." The Headmaster instructed in a firm tone. Sirius looked to where he was now standing. His face and blue eyes were set in a serious expression. Sirius tried to say something, but the stern look he received resulted in him exhaling loudly and crossing his arms as he sat back down.

"We're all aware of what might have been, but that's not case here. We need to focus on the facts we know at hand and Harry's continued safety." Dumbledore stated as he resumed his seat. He took in the faces of everyone around the table.

Sirius' face was still filed with thunder and fury. Both Minerva and Molly had looks of concern on their pale faces as the Weasley matriarch looked as if she was on the verge of tears. Arthur and Remus tried to keep their faces steady but Albus could see them chewing on their bottom lips and saw the apprehension in their eyes. Kinsley was stoic faced and regarded the Headmaster with a solemn look as did Alastor as his magical eye revolved about the table and room. Tonks, who sat in-between Remus and her former mentor Alastor, appeared anxious as her hair changed from it's bubble gum pink to a drab brown. She kept looking at Remus with something Dumbledore assumed was more than support in her eyes. Dumbledore smiled deep down at the pair. Finally, his blue eyes swept over Severus. The Potion Master kept a composed and natural expression. His black eye focused solely on him.

"Now," Dumbledore began, "let us first discuss why and who sent the dementors."

"I think the Who is easy enough to figure out." Sirius said as he looked over to the Potions Master with a sneer. "It was Voldemort. He had Harry right in his grasp that night but still he was able to escape right from under him and his Death Eaters. He wants to finish what he started.

"That would make sense Albus," Kinsley said, "We know he's trying to keep a low profile. He wanted to attack Harry but he can't directly without revealing himself.

"But why send dementors?" Alastor questioned, his magical eye swirling about the room. "Why not send his Death Eaters to the boy's home instead."

"Maybe he thought that would be too risky," Tonks chimed in. "A Muggle might have seen something odd or he thought we were watching Harry's house and didn't want a battle to break out."

Lupin took in what his two colleges said and shook his head. "I think your both right. Voldemort would want to keep a low profile, but sending dementors doesn't seem to fit with that. Dementors are even more noticeable then two Death Eaters.

 "It was not Voldemort," the Headmaster stated drawing curious looks from most of the people.

"What makes you believe that, Albus?" Minerva said as she looked over her square framed glasses at the Headmaster.

Dumbledore motioned to the silent Potions Master with his hand. "Severus, if you would please?"

"As you wish Headmaster," the man replied with a nod. He went on to tell of his meeting with the Dark Lord and how he was just starting to make his plans to recruit the dementors. He then went on to tell how Voldemort had decreed that Harry Potter was his to kill and his alone. No other would deprive him of that right under punishment of death.

"Well if it wasn't Voldemort," Moody huffed after Severus had finished, "who was it then?"

Dumbledore frowned before replying with a shake of his head. Everyone saw that his blue eyes were deprived of their twinkle. They were dull and subdued. "There only one other explanation I'm afraid to say."

It was only a second after saying this that Arthur's head snapped up with a stunned look on his face. "The Ministry?" Arthur exclaimed in a shock tone. He was not the only one who was stunned by this revelation. Even Severus felt his eyebrows rise at the statement.

"Yes," Albus answered, "With Voldemort not having control of the dementors at the moment this leaves only the Ministry as the answer." The aged wizard's conclusion brought forth a myriad of questions.

"Are you actually saying that Fudge ordered the attack?" Tonks asked as her hair turned shock white.

"He wants to smear Harry as much as you, Albus," Lupin interjected "but do you think he would go as far as ordering...a...Ministry sanctioned hit?"

"The man's completely paranoid, yes," Kinsley retorted in his calm voice, "but he can't be that deranged can he?"

"Could the Minster have been cursed into doing it?" Minerva put forth looking to the Headmaster.

"Lucius Malfoy most likely could have done that, Minerva." Arthur answered. "He does have access to Fudge and speaks with him privately a lot. He could have placed him under the Imperius Curse at any time these past few weeks."

"That poor boy," Molly began to sob, "Why do these things have to happen to him?"

 "Albus how can you be sure that it wasn't Voldemort?" Sirius spoke as he jumped-up from his seat. He then turned and looked fiercely at Severus. "How can you be certain that what he's been telling you is the truth?"

Severus returned a look of pure loathing to his childhood tormentor. "I'm sorry Black if you don't believe the information I risk my life to bring to the Order. We all can't have the opportunity to stay home and lay about. The rest of us have jobs to do." He hurled back with contempt as he leaned towards the man. Both were just one push away from pulling their wands on each other.

Albus decided to put an end to the argument before it began, but Minerva cut him off. "That's enough out of the both of you!" She sternly stated. She gazed over her glasses to the both of them. "We don't have the time to deal with your petty rivalries. I swear the two of you still act like your teenagers rather than your respected ages!"

Speaking to the pair in her professor tone did the trick. Sirius slowly sat back down in his seat. Severus pulled back and resumed his seat. Both cast their eyes to the side and each uttered, "Sorry."

"Good. Now, neither of you talk unless spoken too. Am I clear?" she asked and both nodded their heads. "That's better. Go on Albus."

The man nodded at the Head of Gryffindor. "Thank you Minerva. Now Sirius," he began, "I trust Severus's information. Voldemort wishes to kill Harry himself to make sure he is dead. He believes that as long as Harry lives, he will continue to be the biggest obstacle to his return to power. The dementors, had they been successful, would have taken Harry's soul, but he would still be technically alive."

"It is highly unlikely that Voldemort would know where Harry lives," Remus offered hoping to draw the course of the conversation away from that area. No one wanted to ponder a Harry Potter without a soul.

"Fudge on the other hand would know," Alastor acknowledged. "That information is closely guarded and only those high-up have access to the fact. He would have the ability to order the attack discretely then be able to hush the whole thing-up."

After several more minutes of questioning and discourse, Albus held-up his hand to quell the rampant speculations. Everybody stopped talking and quieted down upon seeing the motion. Albus waited several moments for them to compose themselves then began to address everything that had been said.

"All of you have made some valid points. Yet we cannot allow our personal feelings no matter what they may be," Albus looked from Sirius to Severus, "to interfere with our judgment."

All but two of the heads nodded in agreement. Dumbledore knew that everyone sitting around the table cared greatly for Harry even Kinsley and Nymphadora. Neither Tonks nor Kinsley had met the Boy Who Lived but wished to see him safe.

"Now I wish for you all to listen to my theory and take a moment to think about it before responding. The Minster does have the power and means to both order and conceal the attack on Harry, but he is not the only one. High ranking members of the Ministry, especially those below Cornelius, have that same ability. And most of them do share his views on me, Harry and Voldemort's return. I put forth that one of these individuals sanctioned the attack and have concealed their action from Cornelius. Abusing their powers in such a way is a criminal act and punishable by imprisonment in Azkaban. Most likely they had not taken into consideration Harry defending himself, but once it was learned Harry performed under-age magic they were able to use it to their advantage." Dumbledore stopped and allowed everyone to take in what he had said. He could tell that several of them wished to say something but were heeding to his request that they wait. "Harry's bouts of under-age magic would be a well know fact in the Ministry. At all cost, they wish Harry to be silenced and cease to be a thorn in their side. This would be the next best thing. No doubt this individual pounced on the opportunity and swayed the Minister to have Harry expelled. Had it not been for Kinsley's alert, he would have been successful. Now I fear whoever planned this will now try to use Harry's hearing as their means to expulsion."

No one spoke for the next several minutes. As soon as Dumbledore had finished, everyone took in his theory and pondered it. They all knew the man's theories usually turned out to be true, but to suggest the Ministry would condone such an attack was still unbelievable. The mere thought of it added another layer of gloom to the atmosphere of the dining room.

"You're correct Albus," Severus finally spoke-up. "There can be no other explanation."

"Albus, if Fudge or any other ministry official is will to go this far to stop the truth from getting out, what's to stop them from going even further?" Tonks asked in a wobbly tone.                                                        

"Let's not worry about that for now," Kinsley interjected, "Harry's safety should be our concern now."

 "I want him here Albus," Sirius stated in a firm tone. "Frankly, I wanted him here immediately after we found out about the attack."

"I agree with Sirius," Molly spoke-up. "That dear boy has been stuck with those horrible Muggle relatives of his long enough. The two weeks requirement for the blood wards has come and gone. Besides, Harry needs to be with his friends. They haven't been able to write to him all summer because of your instructions. Ron and the twins keep asking me when Harry's going to be brought to headquarters. And to be honest," she added with worry creping onto her voice, "now that Fred and George can legally perform magic, I'm afraid they might try something again."

"And I think I can speak for Molly," Arthur added, "we don't want the two of them to try another stunt like they did three years ago."

"Agreed, Arthur," Albus said as he drew his fingers together. "Harry should be brought here for the remainder of the Summer but we must exercise great caution in do so. The Floo system is being watched and an illegal Portkey is out of question and Apparation as well. We need an undetectable means of transporting Harry."

Remus knew the Headmaster was correct. Even the possibility of the Knight Bus was out of the question. Then suddenly he had an idea. "What about flying Albus?" he suggested. "The Ministry can't track brooms and Harry's an excellent flyer. He could be here in just a few minutes."

"An excellent idea Remus," Albus said with a smile as his eyes seemed to regain a small sliver of their twinkle. "No doubt Harry will be delighted to fly again. Molly is also correct about the blood wards. They are safely in-placed for another year. Harry can be brought here this week.

"But it'll have to be at night," Moody interjected. "And Potter will have to have a protection detail. Then there are those Muggles relatives to deal with not to mention the possibility the ministry is watching their house. And of course there's the matter of the Fidelius Charm so you're going to have to tell Potter where headquarters is."

"You're correct Alastor. You can be in charge of making the necessary arrangements along with Remus," Dumbledore decided. "Remus," he looked to the wizard, "I would like you, Kinsley, Alastor and Nymphadora to be the ones to collect Harry. If you feel you might need additional support, enlist however many other Order members as you see fit. I'll write down the location of headquarters for you to give to Harry when you arrive back here."

Remus nodded in agreement. He was happy that they were going to retrieve Harry this week. The next full moon was not till another three weeks and Remus was greatly looking forward to seeing and spending time with Harry again. He also knew how much Sirius wanted to see his godson as well.

"When do you wish us to go Albus," Kinsley asked.

"This Saturday," Dumbledore answered. "I'll alert Arabella. Molly, Sirius, will that be enough time for you to get things ready for Harry? "

"Oh yes of course Albus," Molly said, "I'll put him in with Ron."

"It is Headmaster, but what about his Aunt and Uncle?" Sirius asked. Severus noticed there was a dark gleam to his eyes. "From what Harry's told me, they don't take too kindly to magic or any witch or wizard that show-up at their home? Harry told me about the whole fiasco with his cousin and the twin's jinxed candy last summer."

"That's true," Arthur added. "I know I'm not welcomed in that house again. I still can't believe his uncle actually threw things at me and yelled for me to get out of his house even though I tried to help his son but he wouldn't allow it. I felt I would end-up having to stun Vernon Dursley so I could reverse the jinx on his son's tongue."

Severus's ears picked-up on the man's statement. What Arthur and the mutt had just said went perfectly with the facts he had witness at Number 4 just a few days ago. Potter had obviously stated at some point that his relatives did not care for magic. However, the boy had not gone on to explain their treatment towards him. He knew for a fact that had he told of his Uncle's treatment, the man would not be standing. Molly Weasley for certain would not have left that stand. The same would have gone for the wolf and mutt. Drawing himself out of his personal thoughts, the Potions Master noticed the room had gone completely silent.

Looking towards the Headmaster, he saw the man had his eyes closed and was frowning. He appeared to be in deep thought. Severus wondered if he was going back over his account of having observing Potter along with what had been said. Finally he reached-up and removed his half moon spectacles and rubbed his eyes with his left hand. "I think it best they weren't involved in this. In fact, it might be better if they weren't home at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

"I'll handle it Headmaster," Tonks answered, "I'll think of something good. Something so completely Muggle that they won't get suspicious."

"Excellent Nymphadora," he said as he replaced his spectacles on his crocked nose. He was the only person who could call her by her first name and not get her angry. "I believe that handles everything for the moment. We'll meet again this Friday to go over the final details. In the meantime, please carry on as normal. Until then, this meeting is adjourned."

With that, everyone got-up from their seats and filed out of the room. Molly headed to the kitchen to get supper ready while Arthur went to find their children. Both Tonks and Remus were staying for supper and followed Molly into the kitchen. They were followed by Sirius who threw one last glare at Severus before dissipating out into the hall. Kinsley and Alastor had both declined Molly's offer, but promised to come Wednesday. Kinsley followed Alastor as he shuffle to the front door. Only Severus and Dumbledore were left in the room. Just as he rose, Severus felt his Dark Mark flare and made he let out a gasp which drew Dumbledore's attention just as he about to walk out the door. His eyes saw Severus clutching his forearm where the Dark Mark was burned onto the man's skin.

"I need to speak to you," Severus said urgently. "Now."

With a nod, Albus waved his wand and erected a privacy charm over the room. "What's on your mind Severus?"

"The Dark Lord will want to about Potter's attack. Lucius would have informed him the second he learned of it, but apparently he didn't do it until now. What do I tell him? What do I tell him of Potter? "

Albus looked straight in his onyx eyes.  "Tell him what I believe to be true Severus. There's no reason not to. Voldemort has no reason to expel Harry. That would do more harm to him than good."

Severus knew what his mentor meant by his last statement. "As you wish," Snape replied.

"As for Harry, inform him that I plan to have him moved to a safe house but that I'm keeping the details secret till the last minute. Blame it on my fondness for him. Can you do that?" The last part he said with a tapping of his hand on the back of the nearest chair. Severus nodded understanding the man's casual action. "Anything else?"

"Yes, I want you to see my memory of observing Potter the other day. He-"

 "Go," the Headmaster order. "We'll deal with that later."

Severus left without another word. Once outside on the desert street before Number 12, he disapparated once he was sure his mind was perfectly occluded.

----------

"Crucio!"

The forms of Lucius Malfoy and Walden Macnair twisting and convulsing on the floor met Severus's eyes as did their screams when he arrived in his cloud of black smoke. Taking in his surroundings quickly, he saw that he was in Macnair's sitting room. Curled up on the floor before the roaring fire was Nagini who lifted her head at the arrival of the Potions Master. She flicked her tongue at him as she uncurled herself and slithered her way to her master who was sitting in a large, black, wingback chair with the cowering figure of Peter Pettigrew behind it. The screams of both men suddenly stopped, but both continued to quiver on the floor. Severus dropped to his knees and felt the scarlet eyes upon him.

"My Lord," he addressed the sitting figure.

"Ah dear Severus," Voldemort softly hissed before he pointing his wand at him and crying "Crucio!"

Severus felt pain rip thought his body as he toppled to the floor. Searing pain coursed through his body, but he did not scream out. A moment later, the curse was lifted and the man managed to push himself back onto his knee.

"Rise Severus," the Dark Lord instructed. Snape rose and took his place beside Lucius and Macnair. Voldemort's flat snake-like face wore a look of infuriation and disappointment. The slit-like nostrils flared as the dark wizard breather. Each man could feel the waves of dark magic and anger radiating from man who had once been known as Tom Riddle. Nagini coiled herself by her master's side and flicker her tongue at the trio. Severus could not help but feel that the green viper was hoping that she would be able to feed on one or more of the wizards she was staring at.

"Once again I find myself gravely disappointed with my Death Eaters," Voldemort's stated in a high cold tone as he rose from the chair. "You are to inform of important events that occur the moment they do. Not a full day later!" He suddenly pointed his wand at the mirror over Macnair's fireplace, causing it to shatter. Wormtail jumped at the action and scurried off to the other side of the room. "Severus, you arrived later but do you know as to what I refer?"

"Yes My Lord," he answered with a bowed head. "Harry Potter's suspension from Hogwarts for performing under age magic."

"Correct," Voldemort answered as he set his scarlet eyes on the Potions Master. "Let me tell you how I came to know of it. I arrived here tonight to continue my discussions with Macnair about converting the dementors, but also to begin recruiting the giants. As we discussed the details, Macnair asked what I was going to do about Harry Potter's expulsion from Hogwarts. To his great surprise, I had no knowledge of the incident. A simple act of Legilimency showed me his conversation with Ministry officials. I immediately summoned our friend Lucius." He gestured to the blond wizard in the middle. "And he confirmed the fact. Apparently, both thought it was not important to report it, the moment they learned of it.  They both assumed I would learn of it through other channels." The dark wizard studied the trio's faces after he had finished. He saw the looks of fear in both Lucius and Macnair despite both men tried to keep a calm and steady demeanor. Severus however had retained a composed and solid disposition since he arrived. "So tell me Severus, what do you know of this?" 

"My Lord, I was in Dumbledore's office last night when he was informed of the boy's actions and subsequent expulsion. He left immediately to the ministry and returned several hours later. He told me that he had managed to get the boy's expulsion revoked and persuaded the ministry to merely suspend him pending a hearing. Then he informed me that he was calling an Order meeting for tonight to further discuss the matter."

Severus felt the Dark's Lord entry into his mind as he spoke. But thinks to his superior Occlumency skills, he allowed the wizard to see only the memories he wanted him to see. "I felt it more important to wait to hear the contents of the meeting before telling you. I had assumed that Lucius would learn of this by his contact with Cornelius Fudge and send word to you at once."

Voldemort did not reply. He looked from Severus to Lucius before returning to his chair. As he reached down to stroke Nagini's head, he looked back to Severus. Again, he felt the Dark Lord's penetration into his mind, but now the force was seeking the images of the meeting "What does the old fool have to say?"

"He believes that you were not behind the attack. He accepts the knowledge that you do not have the dementors under your power as of now. Dumbledore knows you want the brat dead but only by your hand. Sending dementors after Potter would be of no value, had they succeeded, for he would still be alive. As a result, Dumbledore is convinced that the attack was instated by someone in a high position within the ministry. He is convinced that it's someone within Fudge's offices."

Severus felt the Dark Lord relive the memory of the meeting in his mind. When he had finished, Voldemort closed his eyes and thought on the matter for several minutes before opening them again. "While I'm disappointed in these events, I do commend your devotion Severus. As loathed as I to admit it, Dumbledore is correct. I did not order this attack. Lucius!" he snapped to the wizard.

"My Lord," he answered as he bowed his head.

"Find out who instigated this attack on Harry Potter. Then bring them to me. They must be taught that Harry Potter is mine and mine to do with when I please to and not before!"

"Yes My Lord," Lucius acknowledged. "I shall do as you command."

"Good. Macnair," he addressed, "You handle the dementors."

"Yes My Lord," Macnair answered.

"Good," Voldemort hissed. "Severus, do not bother with the location where Dumbledore is moving the boy to. It is of no importance as of now. As for Potter's hearing, I'm confident he'll get all the charges against Potter dismissed. Instead, keep yourself close to Dumbledore and continue with the task I have placed upon you."

"As you wished My Lord," Severus obediently replied.

"Good, and just as a reminder as to how I expect my Death Eaters to behave," Voldemort casually stated before he lifted his wand and casted the Cruciatus Curse once again on the three men. All three fell to the floor, but only two cried out in pain. Severus however retained his solid demeanor and did not cry out his anguish.

To be continued...
End Notes:
As always, I look forward to your wonderful reviews.It took me awhile to write this chapter. Originally, it began a few days after the dementor attack but that eventually evolved into a full passage account of Harry and his relatives after the account. As I stated at the beginning, I took the account of the interaction between Harry and his relatives from book rather than the movie. I moved the original beginning to the next chapter.
I had both fun and trouble writing the Order meeting. I wanted to get an equal amount of speaking time for each member. The meeting with Voldemort was a last minute addition. If it seems to be to short or lacking in detail, that’s my fault. But I did want to show that despite his managing of playing the role of loyal Death Eater, Severus is not exempt from punishment at the hands of Voldemort.
I hope to hear from you soon and as always, I thank you.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2578