A Promise Well Kept by evelynrosemarks
Summary: Severus was trying to brew a potion that could help him preserve the life of his loved ones, however when testing it on himself intending for it to just take off two years of his life it took off about...hmm...thirty.
Categories: Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaging
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 26534 Read: 42768 Published: 24 Jul 2011 Updated: 25 Mar 2012
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by evelynrosemarks
Author's Notes:
Admittedly this chapter is one page shorter than normal, mostly because the last part got so adorable that I didn't want to add anymore to it. I hope you all like it and Read and Review. :)

Chapter Six

Dinner had gone very smoothly and Harry could not believe how much stew he and Sevvy had eaten. The pot in the kitchen was actually so empty that there almost wasn’t even a morsel to clean from it. Remus clearly was an ace at cooking and Harry had determined that he was going to live at Grimmauld Place forever just to be able to have his lamb stew in the evening.  Looking back at Severus he smiled, he was so sweet after a nap…but then again he was sweet before his nap too.

Sirius still looked rather deadly though and for a moment Harry wondered just what it would take to get his God-father to come around. Maybe if he sat with Severus more or got to talking to him a bit he would realize that he really isn’t a bad person. He was surprised that he couldn’t realize it now, but he knew that no amount of shoving would make Sirius see reason any faster. Scooting down a bit so that he was closer to his God-father he cleared his throat.

“Well?” Harry said, gently elbowing him. “Any difference of opinion?”

Sirius sighed, “Harry, that’s not going to help the situation.”

“Oh, c’mon!” Harry whined. “Now you are just being stubborn Sirius…you know that he’s good…just admit it and be nice to him.”

“Me being nice to him doesn’t change what he has done in his past-

-what about your past Sirius? Are you proud of absolutely everything you did before now?”

Sirius sighed…why did everyone insist on bringing that up? He supposed that in a way it made him a bit of a hypocrite. However it was different…he had never killed anyone…he had not even meant to make an attempt on Snape’s life back in school. And yet people continuously threw it into his face like it was all his fault. It wasn’t just his fault…it was Snape’s own fault for nosing around where he did not belong.

“Umm…scuse me…”

Sirius’s eyes darted downward to a small hand that was gently tugging his pant leg. He narrowed his eyes down at the little boy in front of him and watched as the large, ebony, orbs stared back. What was he looking at? Had he something in his nose? Or maybe he forgot to wipe his mouth after supper?

“It’s rude to stare, kid.” Sirius said, sternly and watched as Snape quickly withdrew his gaze.

“I…I wanted to know…if…if you wanted this…”

His hand shaking slightly he held up a small pentagon shaped box. The blue on the outside and gold border let Sirius know that it was a chocolate frog. Pursing his lips a bit he for a moment tried to resist the gesture... but he really did like chocolate and Remus had made him skip out on dessert because of how much of a prat he was being.

“Are you sure, you don’t want it?” he asked, his tone slightly more gentle.

Severus looked up, his eyes still big and dark as ever. Was Sirius talking to him? He knew that he could get him to be happy in this house! All he had to do was be patient and everything else would just work itself out. Smiling slightly at the man in front of him, he shook his head.

“I had one today…you can have this one.” He gently shoved the box into his hand and smiled. “I got Albus earlier today…maybe you’ll get someone just as cool.”

Sirius smirked; he wouldn’t be surprised if he got Dumbledore again. The man had a very common card when it came to the chocolate frogs collection. But he could sense the excitement radiating off of Severus and didn’t want to, strangely, burst his bubble.

“I don’t know if I can beat that…Albus is pretty amazing.”

Severus smiled and taking a seat next to Harry, rested his head on his shoulder. He was starting to feel sleepy again, but he really didn’t want to go back to bed. The dream he had earlier was still plaguing his mind and he honestly wished that he could find out who the snake man was, and why he had wanted to hurt whoever was with him. Severus didn’t like hearing people scream…not in pain or in any way that made loud noise. He swore that when he became an adult that he would never, ever raise his voice. He would be nice and loved, just like his mummy was.

“Harry, maybe you should take Severus to bed?” Sirius asked, cocking his eyebrow.

Severus’s eyes widened and he quickly sat up and shook his head. He didn’t want to go to bed yet, not before he was certain what room Harry would be staying in. Looking up at his best friend he gently, slipped his smaller hand into his large one. He didn’t want to be by himself tonight, but he also didn’t want other people to tease or make fun of him for being afraid. Sevvy wanted to be brave, he really did…but it was harder to be brave at night when there were no lights on and no one was there to be brave with you.

“I’m not…sleepy…” he whispered, his words betrayed with a yawn.

“It’s getting late Sevvy,” Harry said looking at a grandfather clock that was in the corner of the room. “I think it is bedtime…you don’t want to be tired in the morning do you?”

Feeling his chin quiver and eyes begin to burn in the corners, he looked down at his bare feet. He really didn’t want to get into trouble for arguing so sniffling softly he nodded and allowed Harry to take him upstairs. It was cold in the house now, at least that was how it felt to Sevvy…and it seemed even darker then when he had woken from his nightmare. Sitting on his bed he felt his heart beat rapidly against his ribcage. He was so scared that he wasn’t even sure if he would be able to move again for the rest of the night.

“Sevvy?” Harry asked gently. “You still with me?”

Severus’s eyes broke away from the corner of the wall he had been staring at and he nodded vigorously. He had no idea what he was agreeing too, but he trusted Harry to do what was best for him. His best friend only wanted to help him and keep him safe…and that’s what made him Sevvy’s friend.

“Did you hear what I asked?”

He blushed, and glanced down at the floor once more. He really needed to try paying attention more, he didn’t want Harry to be upset with him.

“Sorry, Harry.” He whispered, his voice cracking a bit with emotion.

Harry frowned and sat down next to the little boy. He seemed so scared over absolutely everything…how could this little boy turn into the frightening man he had become in the present? What had happened to Snape to turn him into that? Because at the present moment he only saw a little cherub that apparently wouldn’t say “boo” to a mouse.

“Hey,” the emerald eyed boy cooed. “What are you apologizing for? I lose focus too…it’s okay. I just wanted to know if you wanted a night light in here.”

“A night light?” Severus sniffled. “Am I allowed? W-Won’t Sirius get mad?”

Harry shook his head, he really doubted Sirius would care at all…and it almost killed him inside to hear Severus even ask such a question. Maybe Snape had more reasons for being bitter then just hating his father, he almost wished that he knew more about his past instructor. Talking to a little boy about the injustices of his home was too difficult…most children weren’t even aware that they were unjust actions to begin with and transformed them in their mind as unique way their family chose to show love.

“No, Sirius won’t get mad at all,” he said smiling. “And if he does, you just send him to me or Remus.”

Severus nodded and smiled slightly at Harry. He really didn’t want to have to tell on something. His father said that there was nothing worse on this planet than a snitch. And Severus didn’t want to be considered a snitch where Sirius was concerned. He had just got the man to start being nice to him and Severus was determined to keep it that way for as long as he could.

“Professor Dumbledore said it was okay for me to cast spells here at because it is so well protected from the outside world…and I think I have the perfect charm for you, Sevvy.”

Gently pulling up the little boy so that he was on his lap he took out his wand. Hermione had taught him this trick while they were on the train. He had been bored and looking through a spell book on his way home when Hermione had taught him how to conjure stars.

“I can do a couple…but not too many…”

He wasn’t nearly as good as Mione when it came to casting this spell, but he was decent enough that he could make them and they would keep Sevvy’s room illuminated. Muttering the spell under his breath, so as not to tempt Severus to try it should he ever find an unguarded one he watched pleased as a few stars left the tip and began floating around the room. Smiling he watched as a small gasp entered the room and Severus’s little hand reached up to grab one of the stars.

“Harry?” he asked softly. “Are one of those mummy’s? She’s in heaven right? With the stars?”

Harry felt his voice get lost in his throat for a moment, and leaning back against the headboard of Severus’s, new, bed he snuggled his little brother. He would not be like Uncle Vernon or his bloody Aunt Petunia. He would let Severus hope that his mother lived among the stars and angels of heaven, because he knew that he would find comfort and solace in that notion.

“Yes, Sev,” he smiled. “Your mummy sent those stars to watch over you and protect you.”

Closing his eyes smiling gently, Severus curled up on Harry’s lap. His mummy was watching him from the stars Harry had made. He never wanted to sleep, all he wanted to do was watch them twinkle and think about how beautiful they were…just like mummy.

“Harry?” he asked softly. “What’s your mummy like?”

Harry froze and his eyes burned slightly. He didn’t know how to answer that, he really didn’t know his mother all that well. Remus, the Headmaster, and Sirius all told him that she was beautiful and wonderful… but he really had no details or stories to tell Severus. Gently taking stroking the top of Severus’s little hand he sighed and looked up at the stars that were still glittering above them.

“Well…I don’t really know my mummy, Sevvy…she went to heaven when I was a baby.”

“Oh…I’m sorry Harry…” Severus said gently. “But maybe your mummy and mine are friends in heaven?”

Looking down at Severus he didn’t realize the moisture that had filled them. Smiling through his tears he gently nodded pushed several locks of black hair behind Severus’s ears. How was it that someone he hated before become the person he seemed to adore now? It made Harry regretful of not trying to push past Snape’s ice walls before…but hopefully when they changed Severus back, if they changed him back, he would remember all that had happened today.

“I’m sure they are, Sevvy…” he said gently. “Best friends…”

“Like us, right?” he yawned, burying his head into Harry’s stomach.

“You bet…” Harry yawned. “They probably talk about us and how proud they are we turned out so epically awesome.”

Severus chuckled and yawned back.

“We’re awesome.” He repeated with a small, tired, giggle.

Harry nodded, “Completely.”

“Do awesome people go to bed this early?”

“When they are this tired they do.” Harry said, his eyes closing.

“Oh…”

Closing his eyes Severus, rested his head against Harry and began to doze. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to go to sleep completely, but it was clear that his body did because before a minute could even tick by he was out like a light and wandering through dreamland. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please Read and Review...but no flames :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2612