Scars of Tomorrow by xVortex of MemoriesX
Summary: “In the end, Fate decided to take matters into its own hands, it decided to give two unlikely allies a single, once in a lifetime chance, a chance to change the future.”
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Slither Back
Challenges: Slither Back
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 15926 Read: 22031 Published: 28 Dec 2011 Updated: 23 Mar 2012
Two by xVortex of MemoriesX

            Harry glanced up as the owl flew through the open window and he let out a small sigh of relief. The owl had arrived after Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley left to take Dudley to go buy a new toy at the nearest toy store, a toy that Dudley saw on the tellie and so it wasn’t likely his aunt and uncle would never discover it. Harry took the letter before thanking the owl who chirped before staying. It was likely ordered to stay until Harry gave it a reply.

            He opened the envelope before pulling out the letter and reading it;

Dear Mr. Potter,

            I am glad to hear from you, Mr. Potter and I understand your concerns. I had forgotten you were living with Muggles (non-magical beings) and so would not know how to reach the place where you would get your supplies.

            I have spoken with the Headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore, and he has agreed to send someone to take you to get your supplies on July 31st.

            I look forward to seeing you at Hogwarts, Mr. Potter.

Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Hogwarts

            He’s sending someone on my birthday? I wonder if it’ll be Hagrid like last time, Harry thought.

            He wrote a quick reply before handing the note to the owl. The owl chirped again and flew off with the note in its talons. Harry then went back to cleaning the living room and that was what he was doing when Dudley, Petunia and Vernon came back. They barely gave him a second glance and immediately went into the kitchen. Harry put down his rag before getting to his feet and walking into the kitchen.

            Vernon glared at him. “Where’s lunch, boy?” he demanded.

            “In the oven, Uncle Vernon,” Harry replied before he grabbed the oven mitts and pulled out the food before placing it on the stovetop. He then served the food to his relatives while waiting for them to finish eating so that he could eat as well.

            His relatives ate slowly although Harry noticed that his cousin and uncle were pigs just like they were last time. He grimaced but said nothing as he waited for his relatives to finish eating. Reluctantly, his uncle pointed to what was left of the food and told Harry he could have what was left.

            To say the least, there wasn’t much left.

            Harry sighed but ate the food and then made his way back to his cupboard at his uncle’s insistence where he sat and waited for July 31st to come around.

-/

            Severus sat calmly in the shadows of the Headmaster’s office as Minerva, Filius, Hagrid and Pomona walked into the office. Albus glanced at his teachers and was silent for a long moment as he observed his teachers.

“All right,” Albus said finally. “Minerva forwarded a letter she received from Mr. Harry Potter to me. Apparently, his aunt and uncle do not know anything about the Wizarding World and cannot take Mr. Potter to get his supplies.”

            Severus snorted, which caused everyone to look at him. “I know Petunia and she does know about the Wizarding World,” he said curtly.

            “Be that as it may,” Albus said before any of the other teachers could reply. “We need to figure out whom to send to get Mr. Potter and take him to get his school supplies.”

            “I’d be happy to go get ‘Arry,” Hagrid offered.

            Severus sneered. “Yes and you won’t stick out like a sore thumb,” he said sarcastically.

            “Severus!” Minerva snapped.

            “I’m merely speaking the truth, Minerva. We need to send someone that knows and understands the muggle world so as to not draw attention to themselves,” Severus said.

            Albus smiled a twinkle in his eyes and Severus found himself wishing he had held his tongue. He knew it would be a good idea for him to go get Harry so they could figure out what they are going to do next to stop Voldemort’s rise to power but he also knew he had to keep up the act of hating James Potter and not wanting anything to do with Harry.

            “The only one that I can think of that understands the muggle world is you, Severus,” he said just as Severus had thought he would.

            He curled his lip into a forced sneer. “I have better things to do than go after the Potter brat,” he sneered.

            “You don’t even know him,” Minerva snapped.

            Severus snorted. That’s where you’re wrong, Minerva, he thought but didn’t repeat his thought out loud.

            “We could send Minerva,” Pomona suggested. “Or even you can go, Albus.”

            Albus laughed. “I would stick out just as much as Hagrid would,” he said.

            Severus knew that would be true; the blue trimmed neon purple robes were but an example of his rather flamboyant fashion sense.

            “I would go,” Minerva said, “but I have to visit another family. They scheduled the meeting for today because this is the only time they have to speak with me.”

            Severus remembered that last time it was Minerva who spoke with the muggleborns and their families.

            Albus pursed his lips together in thought. “She’s correct. Severus, you’re the only one we can send,” he said.

            Severus curled his lips into a sneer. “There must be someone else you can send,” he said forcing his voice to sound curt. He was stubborn by nature and he knew he would make Albus and the other teachers suspicious if he didn’t put up a fight on being sent to pick up Harry.

            “Well, all the other teachers would stand out,” Albus said. “And Minerva’s busy. The only thing I can think of, if you are truly unwilling to go, is to send someone who does not work at this school but still knows about the Wizarding World enough to take Mr. Potter to get his supplies.

            Severus was silent for a long moment as he thought about the future. He knew that several of the members of the Order of the Phoenix would be able to go get Harry but most of them would stand out. There was one that wouldn’t stand out as badly as everyone and Severus knew that Harry could use his help in changing the future. However much Severus may hate this particular person, he knew that having him as an ally would certainly help.

            “If you’re going along that logic,” Severus sneered, “then you may as well send the wolf Lupin. It wouldn’t be any different than if you send one of the teachers.” He said it in such a tone that suggested he didn’t believe Albus would agree with him and he added the disdain into his tone that he knew was always present whenever he talked about the wolf.

            “Why that’s a marvelous idea, Severus,” Albus said gleefully. “I’ll contact Remus right away and ask him if he’s willing enough to go retrieve Mr. Potter and take him to Diagon Alley.”

            Severus glowered at Albus at the mention of the mangy werewolf who nearly killed him in his sixth year but was also proved very useful in the future.

            “Now then,” Albus went on, “as you all know, the Philosopher’s Stone will be placed within the school for protection and we will put protections around it just to be on the safe side.”

            “Where are we going to hide it?’ Minerva asked. It was obvious by her tone of voice that the Head of Gryffindor House did not enjoy the idea of having the stone so close to the students.

            “I was thinking on the third floor corridor,” Albus said. “We’ll just tell the students that the third floor corridor is forbidden.”

            Severus curled his lip into a sneer but remained silent for a long moment as he thought about how best to use this to his advantage. “If you’re going to hide it on the third floor corridor then other precautions should be taken,” he said. “Students have been known to get lost, especially if they’ve never been to Hogwarts before and might find themselves on the third floor. I suggest an age line should be placed on the third floor to prevent anyone from getting hurt.”

            “That’s a brilliant idea, Severus,” Albus said.

            Minerva glanced at him. “It is,” she agreed. She, like the other teachers, knew that while Severus may act like a cold-hearted git to his student, he really did care about them and did everything he could to protect them.

            “Each Head of House will place a protection over the stone,” Albus said. “As well as Hagrid and Professor Quirrell.”

            Severus was about to protest but as he thought about the incident with the troll, he knew that it was the troll that caused Harry and Granger to become friends and Granger was very useful in the future. While he detested the idea of allowing the troll into Hogwarts, he knew he couldn’t stop it without revealing what happened last time. He scowled inwardly; he hated the idea of allowing a troll to get into Hogwarts.

-/

            July 31st came around so quickly that Harry wasn’t surprised when his birthday wasn’t celebrated at all. Dudley, Petunia and Vernon were watching the tellie in the living room while Harry was washing dishes when the doorbell rang. Glancing up, Harry wondered who the teachers had sent to take him to Diagon Alley.

            “Dudley, will you get that dear?” Petunia called.

            “Make the freak get it,” Dudley snapped.

            “Boy, go get the door,” Vernon growled.

            “Yes Uncle Vernon,” Harry said putting down the dish he had been cleaning and walking to the door. He opened it and had to force himself to not tear up as he caught sight of who was standing on the porch.

            Remus Lupin.

            The last time Harry had seen Remus had been when he and Nymphadora Tonks had been killed during the final battle. Harry bit back the tears though and smiled in greeting to the light brown haired man.

            “Hello Harry,” Remus greeted him. “I’m Remus Lupin. Professor Dumbledore sent me to take you to Diagon Alley to get your supplies.”

            “Who the bloody hell are you?” Vernon growled.

            “My name is Remus Lupin,” Remus replied before he repeated what he had already told Harry.

            “So you’re one of those freaks,” Petunia sneered.

            Remus’s eyes flashed angrily and Harry could see the feral like glare in his amber eyes. He was so glad that the full moon had passed by two weeks earlier so Remus wasn’t feeling the aftereffects of his illness at the moment. That didn’t mean his wolf tendencies didn’t come to the surface sometimes.

            “He is not going to that freak of a school,” Vernon growled. “We never replied.”

            “On the contrary,” Remus said quietly, “Professor Dumbledore did receive a reply from Mr. Potter and that is why I am here. Now come, Harry, we should probably get going.”

            “Uh, all right,” Harry said sounding as confused and shy as he had when he first met Hagrid.

            “Now listen here, that freak is not going to that freak of a school!” Vernon screamed looking purple with fury.

            “Not like his freaky whore of a mother and bastard of a father,” Petunia snarled.

            Remus’s wand was in his hand and pointed at Vernon and Petunia before Harry could blink. “Don’t you dare insult Lily and James while in my presence,” he snarled amber eyes flashing with such fury that Harry could see the werewolf within him.

            “Put that thing away,” Vernon growled gazing at the wand with fear in his eyes.

            “Come along, Harry, let’s go,” Remus said still glaring at Petunia and Vernon with such fury in his eyes that Harry was surprised his aunt and uncle didn’t burst into flames.

            “Okay,” Harry said shyly before he walked over to join Remus who placed a hand on his shoulder. Harry did his best to not flinch away from the touch as he could still remember his aunt and uncle’s smacks whenever he misbehaved, which was often.

            Remus led the way out of the house before hiding his wand to avoid anyone noticing it. Harry gazed up at the man that had become like a father figure to him, especially after his godfather was killed by Bellatrix LeStrange. “So, uh, where are we going?” he asked.

            “Diagon Alley,” Remus replied. “It’s an alley where all witches and wizards get their supplies.”

            “So I’m a wizard?” Harry said trying his best to act surprised.

            “Yes Harry you are. Did your aunt and uncle not tell you that?” Remus looked surprised.

            Harry briefly remembered that his aunt and uncle didn’t tell him he was a wizard last time so he decided to keep that the same this time. “No, they didn’t,” he said softly.

            Remus’s eyes filled with anger but he otherwise remained silent as he led them away until they were out of sight of any muggles. “We’re going to apparate, Harry,” he said gently. “Just take hold of my hand. It’s a form of transportation for witches and wizards. Are you ready?”

            Harry hated apparition but he nodded and took Remus’s hand. Remus turned on the spot and apparated away with a sharp crack that distilled the air.

-/

            Walking out of the apothecary, Severus spotted Harry making his way down the street beside the werewolf. He made his way toward Madame Malkin’s where he knew his godson was getting his robes. The one thing he wanted to change this time would be preventing his godson from taking the Dark Mark and becoming a Death Eater.

            He slipped into Madame Malkins before walking over to join his godson who was getting measured for his robes. Draco glanced at him. “Hello godfather,” he greeted him.

            “Don’t move, Mr. Malfoy,” the person who was currently taking Draco’s measurements snapped.

            “Hello Draco,” Severus replied inclining his head in reply. If he had timed it correctly then Harry and Lupin would be entering the store any moment now and Severus knew that this might be his only chance to speak with his fellow time traveler before school starts.

            True to his words, Harry, as short and skinny as he was when Severus saw him for the first time last time, walked into the room alongside Lupin. Lupin’s eyes narrowed when he caught sight of Severus but he otherwise inclined his head politely and spoke with one of the clerks while Harry was guided over to join Draco.

            Harry glanced briefly at Severus before turning his gaze to Draco who examined him. “Hello,” Draco greeted him politely.

            “Hi,” Harry replied just as politely.

            “First year too?”

            “Yup.”

            “Same here.”

            “Be polite, Draco, and introduce yourself,” Severus reminded his godson.

            “Oh right. Sorry godfather. I’m Draco Malfoy.”

            “Harry,” Harry replied shaking Draco’s hand in greeting and Severus noticed that he kept his last name a secret. Good idea, Severus thought.

            The clerk walked over to join Harry while Draco got off and took the robes the clerk gave to him before thanking him. “I’ll see you when school starts, godfather,” he called before he slipped out of the room.

            Harry gazed around as the clerk walked away and, when he noticed Lupin wasn’t within earshot, he glanced at Severus. “This really isn’t going to work that well,” he murmured quietly. “Not when Remus is here.”

            Severus curled his lip. “I’ll convince Lupin to let me take you to the apothecary to get your Potions supplies and we can talk then,” he murmured back softly before he walked off to join Lupin.

            Lupin glanced up. “Hello Severus,” he greeted him.

            “Lupin,” Severus replied.

            “What brings you here?” asked Lupin.

            Severus curled his lip. “I had to make a stop at the apothecary,” he replied curtly before adding coolly and disdainfully, “Professor Dumbledore also told me that it would be best for me to take Mr. Potter to the apothecary.”

            Lupin raised his eyebrows. “I can take Harry to the apothecary and get his supplies there, Severus,” he reminded the Potions Master.

            Severus curled his lip. “I don’t like it anymore than you do, Lupin,” he sneered, “but the headmaster insists.”

            Lupin sighed. “All right, send him to the Quidditch Shop when you’re done,” he said.

            Severus nodded curtly before turning around and walking back toward the entrance, pausing only to say, “meet me outside, Potter,” to Harry, before slipping out of the store.

-/

            Harry finished getting his robes and, thanking the clerk, walked out of the store with Remus just behind him. Remus placed a hand on his shoulder. “I’ll meet you at the Quidditch Shop, Harry. Professor Snape, here, should show you here the shop is located,” he said.

            “All right, Mr. Lupin,” Harry replied.

            Remus chuckled, lips quirking into a smile. “I will see you later,” he said before he walked off but not without tossing a warning glare at Snape, who merely glowered back at him.

            Snape snorted. “It’s as if he expects me to turn you into Potions ingredients,” he muttered leading the way down the alley toward the apothecary.

            “No offense, Professor, but I’m positive that was what you wanted to do several times last time,” Harry murmured back and was rewarded with a glare.

            The two of them entered the apothecary and getting Harry’s Potions supplies was easy. When they were done, Snape led them to the very back of the store before murmuring “muffliato.” Immediately, the surrounding area filled with a buzzing sound that Harry knew would prevent anyone from overhearing their conversation. He remembered Hermione casting that spell to protect their tent while they were hunting for Voldemort’s horcruxes during their seventh year.

            “All right,” Snape said lowering his wand. “There are some things we need to figure out.”

            Harry nodded. “The horcruxes for one,” he said.

            “Yes, I know where four are located but not the other three,” Snape replied. “I know about Hufflepuff’s cup, which is located in Bellatrix’s vault, Nagini, whom I do not think has been turned into one yet, the journal, which is within Malfoy Manor, and you.”

            Harry sighed before nodding. “Ravenclaw’s diadem is located in the Room of Hidden Things in Hogwarts, which either you or I could get easily, and Slytherin’s locket, which is hidden within Grimmauld’s Place with Kreacher.”

            Snape grimaced. “And that means we have to figure out a way to prove your mangy mutt of a godfather is innocent,” he said.

            Harry bristled slightly at the insult to Sirius but said nothing in reply to that. “Yes, we also need to figure out how to get the horcrux inside of me. I think that I might have to do the same thing I did last time,” he said.

            Snape’s eyes narrowed. “As in die again?”

            “Yeah but, in your memories, Dumbledore…”

            “Professor Dumbledore, Mr. Potter.”

            “…said that Voldemort,” Snape flinched, “had to be the one to kill me and I had to go there willingly and not fight back. How am I supposed to do that if Voldemort is still, technically speaking, dead?”

            “That I do not know, Potter,” said Snape.

            “We’re still missing one horcrux though,” Harry said. “The ring that cursed Professor Dumbledore’s hand.”

            Snape nodded. “That is the first horcrux I plan on destroying,” he said. “I believe I may know where it is located.”

            “I can get the diadem,” said Harry.

            Snape pursed his lips together in thought. “Not without looking suspicious and getting in trouble, Mr. Potter. You also have to keep in mind that Quirrell is there this year,” he said.

            Harry sighed before nodding. “Will you get it then?”

            “When I have the chance,” Snape replied. “Also, we cannot act any different than we did last time or everyone will get suspicious.”

            Harry nodded before he narrowed his eyes. “So you’re still going to treat me badly, right?”

            “I have too.”

            Harry sighed. “I suppose so. But what if I’m in Slytherin?”

            Snape snorted. “I doubt you’ll be in Slytherin, Potter,” he said.

            Harry suddenly grinned. “I bet you five Galleons that I’ll be placed in Slytherin,” he declared.

            Snape raised his eyebrows. “Betting, Mr. Potter?” he said before he nodded, “You’re on.” The two of them shook hands and Snape raised his wand before murmuring “finite” and the spell around them was canceled.

            “Come along, Mr. Potter,” Snape said curtly. “We wouldn’t want your wolf friend to start worrying.”

            Harry nodded before he and Snape left the apothecary.

To be continued...
End Notes:
And that was chapter two. Chapter three shall be posted as soon as I possibly can but I doubt it'll be anytime soon. Reviews, as always, are much appreciated and thank you to the four people who reviewed the last two chapters.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2727