Scars of Tomorrow by xVortex of MemoriesX
Summary: “In the end, Fate decided to take matters into its own hands, it decided to give two unlikely allies a single, once in a lifetime chance, a chance to change the future.”
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Slither Back
Challenges: Slither Back
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 15926 Read: 22026 Published: 28 Dec 2011 Updated: 23 Mar 2012
Five by xVortex of MemoriesX

Lying on his bed in the first year dorm in Slytherin House, Harry thought about the future and, more importantly, his two best friends. While Ron had not been as helpful in the future as Hermione had been, he still was Harry's first, closest friend and he found himself wishing there was some way he could become friends with Ron again. He knew that Ron was very prejudiced against Slytherins but he hoped there would be some way to convince Ron to look beyond his dislike of Slytherins and see Harry for who he really was.

Sighing, Harry rolled onto his side before closing his eyes but it took a while before sleep finally overcame him. However, his dreams were haunted by his memories of what would occur in the future if he and Snape failed in their quest; the many people who died to help win the war. Cedric, Sirius, Dumbledore, Remus, Tonks and even Snape himself not to mention Colin Creevey and Fred Weasley; all of them lost their lives because of the war against Voldemort. Harry was determined to make sure no one died for him this time around.

The alarm sounded loudly jerking Harry out of his restless sleep and he groaned before rolling onto his side and shutting his eyes even though he knew sleep would elude him. He sighed as sleep refused to come and sat up before rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He then reached to the side table to grab his glasses before putting them on his face and swinging his legs off the bed.

Draco, whom Harry was rooming with along with Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott, was already getting ready and he glanced at Harry. "I thought you were going to sleep through your alarm," he said smirking.

Harry shrugged. "I'm used to waking up this early," he replied thinking back to his life with the Dursleys from last time.

"Why?"

"My aunt and uncle had me do some chores in the morning," Harry said keeping just how many chores and when exactly he did them to himself.

"Why didn't you just do them with magic?" Draco looked confused.

Harry briefly recalled that Draco had no idea he lived with muggles until later. "My aunt and uncle don't have magic."

"Muggles then." Draco sniffed. "Why would you be placed with bloody muggles? You are the Boy-Who-Lived!"

I never knew why until after I saw Snape's memories, Harry thought. "I don't know," he admitted.

"That's stupid," Theodore said with a snort.

"Yeah it is," Draco agreed. "Come on; let's get to the Great Hall."

Harry got ready before following Draco, Blaise and Theodore out of the dorm room. They made their way into the common room before joining the other Slytherins and the prefects led the way toward the Great Hall.

As he went through his first classes of the day, Harry briefly wondered how different Potions would be. He knew he would be in the same class as Ron and he briefly wondered if he could somehow use Potions class to become friends with Ron. He doubted Snape would be too thrilled about the 'Golden Trio' forming this time around but Harry saw Ron as his brother in everything but blood and he wanted Ron to see him as more than a Slytherin.

It would take a lot because of Ron's deeply set prejudice against Slytherins but Harry couldn't throw seven years of friendship away just because he was sorted into a different house than last time. Potions class might be his best bet to become friends with Ron; he knew perhaps flying class and Halloween might be other times but Potions was his first opportunity.

He purposely got to the Potions classroom last and was relieved to notice Ron was sitting by himself. Seamus and Dean had already paired up and Harry knew this would be his chance. Hopefully, he mused silently as he walked over to Ron's table, he won't try to hex me. He doubted it, considering they were in Snape's classroom, but he may as well be prepared just in case.

"Hey," he said coming to a stop beside the table.

Ron lifted his gaze before they narrowed. "What do you want?" he sneered.

"Can I sit with you?"

Whatever Ron had expected Harry to say, it was obvious that wasn't it. He stared with surprise in his blue eyes before they narrowed. "Why?" he asked.

Harry was thankful when Snape burst into the classroom at that moment and, glaring at Harry, barked out an order for Harry to sit down. Harry, tossing Ron a feigned apologetic look, sat down beside him as Snape swept to the front of the classroom. It was obvious Ron didn't like being stuck with a Slytherin as a lab partner and it was obvious the Slytherins didn't like it either but they couldn't ask Harry to switch partners because Snape was currently talking to them.

Harry remembered the speech from last time and he briefly wondered if Snape would toss a pop quiz on them like he did last time. Snape probably wouldn't ask Harry since Harry would likely know the answers to the questions if they were the same as last time. There was also the chance that he wouldn't ask the same questions as last time.

"Mr. Potter," Snape said as he called roll lip curling at the name, "our newest celebrity."

Harry had a feeling he did that on purpose.

"Tell me, Mr. Potter, where would I find a bezoar?"

Harry briefly wondered if Snape did this to see if Harry had listened at all in first year. "From in the belly of a goat, sir," he replied politely.

"What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape asked not acknowledging the answer.

Harry didn't answer this time on purpose.

Ron was frowning. "I thought there wasn't a difference besides the name," he said aloud, not realizing he spoke aloud until everyone in the class looked at him.

Harry wondered how he knew that. He decided it was possible Ron had known the answer last time but didn't answer because Snape had been too busy asking Harry and Hermione had been too busy trying to answer the question. He really wasn't sure.

"I am impressed you knew that, Mr. Weasley," Snape said coolly, "however, I did not ask you. One point from Gryffindor."

Ron glowered at that.

"How did you know that, Ron?" Harry asked as Snape informed them of what they would be doing for the rest of the class period.

"I overheard my brothers mentioning it last year. I think Snape asked them that same question when they were second years," Ron replied offhandedly.

"Oh. I think we'd better get started." Harry decided it might be best to help Ron to prove he wasn't like other Slytherins. "Why don't you get everything ready and I'll get the supplies?"

Ron narrowed his eyes. "Fine," he said curtly.

Harry sighed inwardly at Ron's word before he walked over to the supplies and accidentally bumped into Neville. Neville's supplies went flying and Harry immediately went to help him pick them up while at the same time apologizing.

"I wasn't watching where I was going. I'm sorry," he said.

"I…It's all right," Neville stammered out picking up the supplies.

Harry handed him the porcupine quills he had dropped before he went to get his supplies, ignoring the surprised looks he was getting from Draco. He then took his supplies back to his and Ron's station before helping Ron prepare the potion.

Neville was partnered up with Parvati behind them.

"It says we need to remove the cauldron from the flame before adding the porcupine quills," Harry said loud enough for Neville to hear although he wasn't sure if he did that intentionally or not.

Ron nodded before removing the cauldron and Harry added in the porcupine quills. Ron had a wary look in his eyes as if he was expecting Harry or someone else to do something to the potion to make it bad. Snape walked up and down the aisles and Harry briefly noticed that the master spy was watching Draco like a hawk although he was not making it obvious.

Harry wondered at that but decided he would ask the Potions Professor when they had a chance to speak again.


So he is trying to reform the Golden Trio, Severus mused silently as he walked up and down the aisles, watching the students work. Harry was working with Weasley and, though Weasley kept tossing distrusting glances toward the Slytherins, he worked well with Harry. Severus also noticed there were some noticeable changes from last time; Weasley had answered one of Severus's pop quiz questions and Neville didn't melt cauldron. He briefly wondered if that was because Harry had purposely mentioned removing the cauldron from the fire before adding the porcupine quills a bit louder than necessary.

Severus had noticed that right away although no one else did. Severus was a trained spy; he could spot something out of the ordinary rather easily. He walked to the head of the group as the class drew to an end. "Bottle the potions and place them on my desk. Then you are to read the next chapter of your Potions textbook," he ordered.

The class scrambled to get everything situated while Harry and Ron were the first ones to place their bottled potions on the table. Draco came next although Severus noticed he was watching Harry and Ron with confusion in his eyes as if he couldn't understand how the two of them could work together without hexes flying. Severus reminded himself that he had to speak with Draco and soon.

When the class left the classroom, Severus disappeared into his office. It was his free period and that meant that Severus had his chance to go to the Room of Requirement and find the diadem. He knew that getting the cup and the journal were going to be the hardest ones, due to their locations. However, he already had the ring and he could get the diadem. The other two, the locket and Harry, were ones he would have to think long and hard about in order to figure out a solution.

Once he was positive everyone else was in class, Severus glided soundlessly out of his office and made his way toward the seventh floor where the Room of Requirement was located. When he reached the seventh floor, he walked toward the wall where the door would appear. Remembering what Harry said, Severus walked in front of the room three times thinking of a room where hidden things go.

The door appeared and Severus examined it before pushing it open and stepping into the cluttered room. He knew it would take him time to find the room but, at the very least, he may be able to find the vanishing cabinet as well. Draco had spent the majority of his sixth year in that very room fixing the vanishing cabinet; Severus only knew about it because he had caught sight of Draco entering the room and followed him. Without the vanishing cabinet, the Death Eaters will not be able to attack the school from within as they did during the Battle of Hogwarts.

Lighting his wand with a murmured "lumos", Severus began searching through the cluttered room for the diadem and the vanishing cabinet. Finding the latter proved to be the easiest but it was finding the location of the first that was harder. Severus knew, from what Dumbledore told him about horcruxes, that they could not be summoned. However, he wondered if a point-me charm would be able to locate it.

He shrugged; it was worth a shot.

As it turned out, the point-me charm worked wonders and Severus discovered the location of the diadem soon. However, he still had to deal with the vanishing cabinet and he was unsure of how to destroy it without being obvious about it. Fiendfyre would work, and would destroy the diadem, but Severus wasn't entirely sure if he wouldn't burn the school to the ground on accident. He was strong enough to control the fire but only for a limited amount of time.

Fiendfyre would be too dangerous, Severus thought eyeing the cabinet with distaste in his eyes. However, all I really need is fire. With that in mind, Severus pointed his wand at the cabinet and murmured "incendio!" Immediately, the cabinet burst into flames and Severus held the spell on the cabinet until it was reduced to a pile of ash. After that, he cancelled the spell and fingered the diadem he held in his hand. The diadem wasn't cursed, that much Severus knew because of the many spells he had cast over it before he picked it up.

Severus decided he would leave the diadem in his home at Spinner's End but away from where he had placed the ring. He wouldn't put it past the Dark Lord to make the curse on the ring contagious to where it could be copied onto another item. He walked swiftly out of the Room of Requirement before making his way back to his office, the diadem hidden securely in his robes.

When he reached his office, he floo-traveled to Spinner's End before placing it in a drawer located away from where he had placed the ring. As he made his way back to his office, Severus thought about how he was going to get the journal. Lucius was a die-hard Death Eater but Severus found himself wondering if it would be possible to convince Lucius that being a Death Eater is not the way to go. He knew that if he did that then he would reveal his position as a spy and that wasn't something he could risk happening. The information he obtained for the Order of the Phoenix was too valuable for him to risk exposing himself.

That is unless Lucius actually listened to his proposal.

However, it was too much of a risk at the moment. Severus needed more time to gather his thoughts, find a way to get the other horcruxes, discover a way to get the mangy mutt Black out of Azkaban and prove his innocence and speak to Draco. All of that on top of keeping Harry safe from Quirrell and the spirit of Voldemort.


School seemed to be going by quickly. Harry found that things were different from last time in the fact that he and Ron weren't friends yet. Harry wanted to be friends with Ron again, he did consider Ron to be his brother in the future and he wanted that to happen again. However, because he was in Slytherin and Ron was in Gryffindor, it made it difficult for Harry to speak with his old friend other than at lunch, in class or in between and after classes.

Sighing, Harry sat in the Slytherin common room reading his Potions textbook. He had already finished his Transfigurations essay and the essay he had for Herbology but he wanted to finish the Potions assignment as well before he went to bed. He was also thinking of how to get into the Chamber of Secrets to speak with the Basilisk and get some of her venom as well as her help.

"Hey Potter, I mean Harry," Draco's voice sounded and Harry glanced up to find the blonde first year sitting down on the couch beside him. Crabbe and Goyle were standing nearby but they seemed to be talking to themselves.

"Hello Draco," Harry replied politely.

"May I join you?"

Harry nodded.

Draco sat down before opening his Potions textbook and noticing that Harry was also studying Potions, said, "Probably a good idea. I wouldn't put it past Professor Snape to give us another pop quiz."

"You know Professor Snape well?" Harry asked feigning surprise.

"Of course. He's my godfather," Draco boasted.

Harry knew this as well from Snape's memories and from his sixth year. "Oh. Well, if he is planning another pop quiz, I should probably study more."

"Probably so." Draco and Harry studied for the better part of the day before going to sleep. Harry was not looking forward to the following day for the following day would be his first Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Quirrell. Now that he knew whose spirit Quirrell's body was supporting, he could prepare himself. Occlumency would be the best way but Harry hadn't really learned how to do it naturally; he learned a bit during his fifth year but Snape wasn't exactly a good teacher. Not to mention, he refused to continue with the lesson after Harry had looked into his pensieve.

Harry made a mental note to apologize to the Professor as soon as possible.

He also had to ask the Professor for the five Galleons he owed him. Harry smiled faintly. He was going to enjoy talking with his Potions Professor about that.

The following morning, Harry and Draco walked side by side toward the Great Hall and Harry briefly caught sight of Ron speaking with Fred and George nearby. Today was their first DADA class and the Slytherins had it with Gryffindors. Harry hoped he would be able to sit beside his one-time best friend again; Ron may be a jealous git at times but he was still a true friend in the end; a friend who went through so much during the final battle; losing Fred and nearly losing Ginny.

Seeing Fred alive brought a warm glow to Harry's heart and he had to stop himself from smiling widely since he knew the twins didn't know him yet.

"Hey, Harry. You okay? You looked a million miles away," Draco said.

More like seven years. "I'm fine. Just thinking," replied Harry before he gestured to the Great Hall doors. "Shouldn't we go inside?"

Draco blinked before nodding and the two of them walked into the Great Hall before walking to the Slytherin table. Harry sat down at the table and was surprised when Hedwig flew over to him and dropped a letter on his plate after Dumbledore made his customary greeting and the food arrived. Harry picked it up before opening it and pulling the letter out of the envelope.

Potter,

I have the diadem and I think I may have come up with a way to get the journal. Meet me in my office tonight one hour before curfew.

S. Snape

P.S. This letter is spelled to where only you can read what is actually written on it.

Harry folded the letter before putting it away and he began eating. He took a sip of his pumpkin juice as he ate. After he finished eating, he glanced at Draco. "Ready to go to class?" he asked.

Draco shrugged. "Class with Gryffindors?" He curled his lip into a sneer that could actually rival his godfather. "Oh what joy!" He did stand up before he and Harry, along with some other Slytherins, made their way toward their DADA class.

Their DADA professor, Professor Quirrell, was the same as when Harry first had him in class; a slender, stuttering man with a turban that Harry knew hid Voldemort from the eyes of everyone at Hogwarts; everyone except the two time travelers at least. Quirrell began talking as soon as the class began and Harry, having already heard the speech before, found himself focusing on clearing his mind as Snape had tried to teach him in his fifth year. He also avoided direct eye contact with the DADA professor since he knew that was how Legilimency worked.

He and Draco took a seat on the side of the DADA classroom where the Slytherins always sat. The Gryffindors sat at the other end of the classroom and Harry noticed Ron was sitting beside Dean and Seamus near the back of the classroom. Ron briefly glanced at him before turning his gaze to the teacher as he continued to speak. As had happened last time, though, Harry felt a headache form whenever Quirrell managed to lock eyes with him and he quickly looked away. He would have to talk to Snape about this soon; he knew what Legilimency felt like so he knew that Quirrell was attempting to perform Legilimency on him.

He only hoped Snape would do something about it.

To be continued...
End Notes:
That was chapter 5. I am still working on Chapter 6 and sorry I posted chapter 5 on P&S eight days after I posted it on FF.Net. I forgot that I had it on this site honestly. Reviews are much appreciated.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2727