Going Home by Swamygliders
Summary: Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 217148 Read: 134748 Published: 08 Jan 2012 Updated: 25 Jun 2012
Hair and Glasses by Swamygliders
Author's Notes:
After Don introduced Pamela to Harry, the Healer stepped out of the room and went next door to see Severus and Minerva. When he entered the room, it was to two people smiling knowingly.
After Don introduced Pamela to Harry, the Healer stepped out of the room and went next door to see Severus and Minerva. When he entered the room, it was to two people smiling knowingly. Raising his eyebrows slightly Don came over and perched on the armrest of the couch.

As he did so Severus rose an eyebrow. "You like her."

Surprised Don leaned over to turn off the speakers to the next room to hide his shock of where this conversation was going. It was not often that the tables were turned and Severus was prying information out of him, and quite frankly, he didn't like it. Maybe if he could play dumb, the man would back down. At that thought Don inwardly snorted, but tried anyway.

"I don't know what you're talking about Severus."

Minerva gave the Healer a stern look. "Don't play dumb Don. We could clearly see you fancy her. Your eye's light up and sparkle when you look."

When Don did nothing but blush and look down Severus gave him a quizzical look. "So have you asked her out yet?"

At that Don looked up at Severus still red as a cherry. "No Severus I have not. Do you want me to talk about your love life in front of Minerva? There was that one woman a few years ago..."

As Don trailed off Severus looked at him in horror. "Don! That is private!"

A hearty chuckle escaped Don while he looked at the still horrified man on the couch and a dumb struck Minerva. He then looked at Severus solely.

"Have I made my point?"

Slowly Severus came out of his horrified state of mind and nodded his head. He did not want Minerva to hear about that, it was embarrassing enough that it had happened at all. "Yes Don, you have. Don't think that I will let this drop completely though."

Don sighed He knew Severus wouldn't, but at least it was dropped for now. When Severus had a piece of information he gnawed on it as a dog gnawed on a bone until he had every little painstaking detail. Pushing those thoughts away Don got down to business.

"So moving on to what I wanted to talk to you about when I first came in here. As I told Harry his reading level is not quite up to par with his peers. He can read fast and seems at ease, but he is doing just that. He is not taking the time to take any of information in and retain it. Part of why this is happening is because of the damage on his brain, but it is also because he needs to slow down and process everything. That goes for everything else as well, he needs to slow down a bit and think of what he is doing. He wants to do and complete everything so quickly so to please everyone he is just going through the motions."

Don took a deep breath and verified that Severus and Minerva were listening to him. When he saw that they were he continued with his train of thought.

"As for his math skills, they are quite high. More than I expected given his reading skills. My recommendation is that when he reaches his third year he might want to take Arithmancy, maybe when he catches up with the rest of his year he can even learn some on the side. I think it would make him feel more confident and that could help him do better in his other classes."

Both the adults sitting on the couch nodded, but it was Minerva who spoke first.

"What can we do to help him in classes?"

"Well, Pam will be teaching him techniques to help him understand what he has read. What you can do in the mean time though is if he is reading instructions from the board or a book go over to him and verify that he has read it slowly and understood what it said and what he had to do. This could be why he was having such difficulty in potions; he never took in the instructions correctly."

Again Minerva and Severus nodded. When the Healer saw both nods he continued.

"Do you two think it would be ok for Pam to come by Hogwarts for an hour after school ends everyday? That way she can work with him on catching up to where everyone else is and then help him with his current homework."

Minerva gave a nod. "There is a room off the Gryffindor common room that would be perfect for them. Maybe we should even start a general study group for all the students. I know Hermione Granger practically begged me all last year to start an official one."

Don nodded. "So you think Harry should go back to classes on Monday?"

As he asked his question he looked at Severus, really wanting to know what the man thought of Harry headed back to class. While Don had spent a great amount of time with the child, Severus had been there when he had not and felt that the man had a greater gage of if the child were ready or not.

Severus looked at Don and nodded. "I think trying to get him back to a normal schedule sooner rather than later would be better, but we should leave the decision up to him and how he feels. I don't want to push him into something he is not ready for, and I don't want to keep him at home if he is ready."

Don nodded. He had thought that was what Severus would say, and he was glad that he had. Although Harry was still just a child, it was good for him to stand up and say what he felt and make some decisions on his own. It would help him feel as if he had more control over his life and what happened.

"I agree Severus. Now, it looks as though Pam and Harry are finishing up. We should go and see them, don't you think?"

Both nodded and followed Don's example of getting off the couch and as the Healer left the room they both followed him through the door. When they were in front of the room adjacent to the one the had just left Don gently knocked on the door.

Pam was the one who answered the door and Minerva leaned over slightly to whisper something in Severus's ear. The man chuckled slightly causing Don to turn to the two to give them a stern look, but then turned back to the woman and boy and smile. He had some idea of what Minerva had told Severus and thought it was probably for the best if he didn't know whether he was right.

The witch who opened the door first returned Don's smile, but then looked down at Harry and placed a tender hand on his shoulder.

"So Harry what do you think of our plan?"

Harry gave a shy nod, and Pam gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze as to comfort him. "Do you want to ask them what you asked me?"

Harry blushed a bit and shuffled his shoe on the floor while looking down. "When am I going back to classes?"

Don looked at Severus who nodded. The man then knelt down before Harry and placed a gentle hand on the boy's chin making him look up into his eyes.

"That is your choice Harry. It all depends on how you feel. If you want to go back to school on Monday morning then you can, or you can wait a week so you can rest a bit. This decision does not effect the room you have in my quarters though that is there for you always. You can still go to class and then come back home at night if you wish, or you can go back to the dorms to sleep. Either way that room will be there for you forever. Do you understand?"

Severus released Harry's chin and the boy launched himself at the man. After a minute Severus overcame his shock and wrapped his arms around the child and held him close. He had not expected Harry to react that way, if anything he though Harry would just nod.

"There, there Harry. Everything is fine."

The boy just held Severus a bit closer, and the man could feel Harry as he started to shake a little. When Severus felt the silent sobs wrack the boy's body he managed to peel the child back from his chest a bit.

"What's wrong Harry?"

Harry raised an arm to wipe his tears on his sleeve, but Severus stopped him with a gentle hand and fished out a handkerchief from his pocket to stuff it into Harry's hand.

"Use this instead Harry there is no need to soil your new clothes and then please tell me what that matter is."

Harry did as he was told and wiped the tears from his face. When he was finished, he shyly looked down at his shoes and played with the now wet handkerchief in his hands.

"I'm sorry sir..."

As Harry trailed off Severus placed a gentle hand on Harry's cheek and Harry lent into the touch just a bit.

"That's not what I asked for Harry. I only want to know why you are upset."

"I'm...I'm not upset. It's just I've never had somewhere where I've been wanted...and you...you really want me..."

Severus pulled Harry back into his arms as the boy started to cry again.

"Oh Harry."

Gently Severus scooped Harry up into his arms as his knees were starting to hurt and turned to look at Minerva and Don. Minerva was just smiling at the two, and Pamela had come around to stand next to Don who was giving Severus an approving look.

Turning his head slightly Severus leaned over to talk into Harry's ear gently. "Why don't we go have a little something to eat and then rest a bit?" He then looked up at Don who nodded and moved out of the way for Severus to move towards their room.

As the four still in the hallway watched as Severus and Harry left Minerva turned to Don slightly.

"Is that really the same Severus who just last week was cursing the boy's very existence?"

Still, watching Severus's back retreat down the hall Don nodded. "It is indeed."

Pamela draped an arm around Don's shoulder, and the Healer blushed slightly as she leaned over to whisper in his ear. "You may be able to fool Minerva, but I can hear the hint of sadness in your voice. You are talking to Quin tonight before you blast those muggles into oblivion. Do you hear me?"

Don just nodded unable to contain his blush quite yet.

"Oh, and will you finally take me up on dinner?"

That made Don's head turn to look at Pamela. "Tomorrow? I have to meet with the Minister tonight."

Pamela smiled at Don. "Only if you don't land yourself in jail. I know that the muggles are in custody at the Ministry, and you're going to ask to speak with them. Please don't do anything stupid."

"I promise won't. I spoke with Albus this morning, and he promised to come with me and assure I don't do anything...violent. He even offered to keep my wand for safekeeping while we are there so I am not tempted, and I think I will take him up on that just to be safe."

Pamela just nodded as Minerva looked on curiously. Having the hearing of a cat sometimes payed off as she had heard that entire conversation even though it was in low, hushed voices.

Piping up she looked at Don. "Can I come as well? I have a few words to say to those horrid people."

Looking between Don and Minerva Pam sighed and then moved over closer to Minerva and placed her hand on the woman's shoulder to send her a touch of calming magic. It would not do if she became too upset right now.

"Minerva how about I show you some techniques to help Harry with his schoolwork while Don goes to the Ministry? That way I won't be alone while I eat dinner since this oaf won't join me."

Still looking at Don Minerva sighed defeated. "Ok that sounds fine. Try to throw a hex at them for me though."

Don chuckled. "If I could I would, but I doubt Albus will let me and that's probably a good thing."

Slowly Minerva nodded, and again Pam took control of the situation. "We should probably follow those two don't you think?"

Both Don and Minerva nodded and the three began to follow to where Severus had carried Harry.

As soon as Severus and Harry arrived in their room Severus put the still weeping boy on the bed while he sat next to him. Calmly the man kept an arm around Harry and continued whispering soothing words to the boy until the crying turned into small sniffles. He figured this little outburst might not have only be due to Harry's overwhelming emotions of acceptance, but he could tell it was also because the boy was overtired. It had been a very long morning.

When Harry pulled up the handkerchief to wipe away the new tears that had fallen Severus stopped him and summoned a warm washcloth instead to wipe them away himself. The handkerchief was wet and cold and he had a feeling that it would irritate the boy's skin instead of soothe it. Carefully as the tears were dried two, trays of food appeared on the bed across form them.

Severus saw the food appear on the bed and let a small smile grace his face as he spotted Don peeking around the corner of the doorway. More than likely the Healer was trying to give them some sense of privacy while he watched over them. Shaking his head slightly in amusement Severus got up off the bed and grabbed a tray so that he could place it on the boy's lap.

"Have some yogurt Harry and then eat the rest of your lunch. Ok?"

Harry gave a slight nod and then picked up his spoon to start eating. Severus then went to his own bed and placed his own tray on his lap as Don came in followed by both Pam and Minerva. Rolling his eyes slightly at the look Don gave him Severus shoved a bite of food into his mouth to try to please the Healer.

Amused by Severus's antics Don smiled, but then came, and sat down next to the man. Gently Don placed a hand on his forehead and frowned a bit when he felt the fever he had thought to have gotten rid of.

Silently Don caught Minerva's eye and pointed her to proceed to Harry with a slight motion of his head. He wanted to check over Severus, but he would prefer if Harry were preoccupied. The witch caught the meaning of his gesture and quickly went over to occupy Harry while Pam came over and sat on Severus's other side.

The man dressed in black who was now between the two Healers sighed when Pam removed the tray of food from his lap. If they weren't forcing food down his throat that meant that something was wrong. The next moment Pam had a hand on his forehead and was frowning as well. While Pamela was feeling his forehead, Don had removed a thermometer from the side table. When Severus saw the thermometer coming towards his mouth he groaned, loudly.

Don patient as ever just held it in front of the man's face. "You know the drill. Open up Severus."

If looks could kill Don would have been six feet under with the look Severus sent him. With a few more glares and gentle prodding from Don, Severus reluctantly opened his mouth and let the Healer put the cold glass tube under his tongue as Pamela removed her hand rom his head. A few minutes later Don removed the glass instrument, and his frown deepened. Quietly Don gestured for Pam to get up from the bed, and then he gently pushed Severus down so he was lying on the bed.

When Severus was fully down onto the bed Don looked down at his patient quizzically.

"Are you not feeling well Severus?"

"I feel fine Don. I don't know why you're making such a fuss over nothing."

Don frowned at Severus. The man was obviously hiding something. "Your health is not nothing Severus. I'm going to do a full scan because it is quite obvious I missed something last night. Unless you want to tell me something?"

Looking away Severus grumbled something under his breath. Don sighed and stole a glance at Pamela who gave him an understanding look. He then turned back to Severus and grabbed the pajama from the side table. Handing it to Severus he started to pull the curtains around the bed.

"You can change back into your clothing after your exam if that makes you feel better, but you might want to have a nap like Harry. It would do you some good."

Severus sighed as Don pulled the curtains closed completely. If only Don weren't such a good healer maybe he wouldn't have noticed his temperature. He would have gotten better; eventually. With that thought Severus started to undress and put on his pajamas. As soon as he was changed, he pulled back the covers and quickly hid his legs under them. He really hated being sick and fussed over.

Just a few moments later Don had pulled back the curtains to slip in, but closed them again behind him. Looking sadly at the man in front of him Don came over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"I think you know why you have a fever Severus. Do you want to tell me why or would you like me to find out the hard way? Either way I will find out."

Severus sighed. "My chest is congested, and there is probably an infection."

Nodding Don got up from the bed. "Thank you for telling me Severus. Let's see whether we can make you feel better."

Slightly nodding his head Severus started to unbutton his top. As Severus did so Don turned to the small table that was inside the curtains and grabbed the mucus cream and placed in next to Severus on the bed. When all the buttons were undone Don gently placed both hands on his patients chest and started to scan his lungs to see what was wrong.

"Take a deep breath Severus."

As Severus did so Don frowned at all the fluid he felt running through the lungs. The Healer then sighed as he pulled a stethoscope from the side table and put the two ear pieces in place. Putting the other end on Severus's chest the man jumped a bit at the coldness.

Don gave the man an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry Severus. When I hold up my finger I want you to take a slow deep breath, ok Severus?"

When Don saw the man nod he raised his finger and Severus took a deep breath. They continued with that for a few more breaths, and then Don took the instrument from his ears. Placing it down on the table next to him he picked up the mucus cream that he had set on the bed and unscrewed the lid.

When Severus saw that jar he cringed and wrinkled his nose dramatically. "Is there any other way?"

Don shook his nose while taking some of the cream onto his fingers. "You know this is the best for getting all that stuff up. You will feel much better afterword."

"But it smells!"

Chuckling Don nodded while he gently began to apply it to Severus's chest. I know it does, but it really is the best for getting everything up."

As Don was talking, he finished applying the cream to Severus's chest. As soon as he was finished he quickly helped Severus sit up as he started to cough up all the crud that had been in his lungs. Summoning a handkerchief Don held it up for the man to take and then patted him heavily on the back to help everything come up and out of him.

Ten minutes passed of the Healer helping Severus cough up everything that was in his lungs. When Severus had coughed up his last cough he had tears in his eyes as he collapsed back on the bed. Slowly Don reached out placing a glass of water in front of the man's mouth.

"Take some slow sips for me Severus."

Severus did as Don told him and greedily sipped the water offered to him. Reaching down while Severus was sipping the water the Healer gently began to button Severus's top back up.

As soon as they were both done Don took the glass from Severus's hand and grabbed the tray Pam had set aside earlier. Thankful for her status charm Don carefully placed the tray on Severus's lap so he could eat.

"Now, I want to see at least half of this soup and at least a quarter of that sandwich gone by the time I come back. Understood? As for your further treatment for this chest infection you seem to have gotten I want to give you two more rounds of that cream and a fever reducer every three hours."

Severus nodded, but gave his food a sour look. "At least half?"

"Yes, do you need an appetite stimulant?"

Sighing Severus nodded. "Yes please."

"Thank you for asking nicely Severus." As Don thanked the potion master he removed the potion he wanted to give to the man and handed it to him.

Severus took the vial and drank the whole thing down in one gulp and then nodded his head in thanks. When Don saw the nod, he accepted the vial back from Severus and then pulled the curtains away from the bed.

"I would like you to rest some after you eat Severus." Don then gestured with his head to the bed next to his with a sleeping Harry on it. "It seems Harry has already beaten you."

Reluctantly Severus nodded and started to eat his food as the potion had just kicked in. Smiling at Severus Don pulled the curtains back all the way and spotted where the two witches were quietly talking to one another.

Leaving Severus with a small pat on the hand Don came over to the two by the bathroom door, just far enough so that it would not disturb either patient. As soon as he came close enough that he could hear them they turned their heads and looked at him worriedly.

Smiling at both of them Don came and placed a calming hand on Minerva's shoulder as she seemed more upset.

"As you two can see Severus is fine. There is no need to worry."

Pam sighed while she looked at Don. "It's not Severus that we are worried about; we knew he was and is in good care. Harry was calling out in his sleep."

Sighing Don nodded while he removed his hand from Minerva's shoulder. "What did he say?"

Minerva looked as if she wanted to tell him, but was clearly to chocked up with emotion to respond so Pam spoke for her. "He was calling out for his mother."

Don let out a deep long breath, and his shoulders slumped down. "He dreamt about them last night, about that night..."

Minerva placed a hand over her mouth while Pam sent some calming magic into her.

"Oh Harry."

The witch let Pamela calm her down a bit, and then she took a few deep, calming breaths. "Does Severus know?"

Slowly Don shook his head. "I didn't want to upset him. I think this is the one piece of information that if he does not specifiably ask about it that it is ok the keep it to ourselves."

Both witches nodded in agreement while Don turned to look specifically at Minerva and gave her a warm smile.

"Do you feel up to making the trip back to Hogwarts by yourself or do you want me to call Albus?"

"Can you call Albus for me?"

Don nodded and started to head out of the room towards the floo while Pamela steered Minerva to a chair so she could sit for a few moments. When Minerva sat down, she slumped back into the chair clearly exhausted.

"You ok there Minerva?"

Slowly Minerva gave a nod. "Yes, I guess I'm finally just taking everything in. My poor little lion."

Pamela nodded and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder to send her a bit more calming magic. "That's understandable, you are just recovering the shock and are now feeling the effects of everything that has happened."

Just a few moments later Albus came in the room and when he spotted Minerva he strode over and smiled at the woman tenderly.

"I canceled all your classes for the rest of the day. Don't worry I won't be teaching any more students how to transfigure their vegetables into cake."

Minerva just shook her head. "You're impossible Albus."

"I know my dear, that's part of my charm!"

Minerva sighed and shook her head slightly in amusement as she got out of her chair. Albus saw the glimmer of sadness in her even though she was acting amused. Gently Albus drew her close to him and embraced her in a hug. It was clear the woman needed some comfort.

Quietly he whispered in her ear, "It will be ok Minerva."

Seeing that the two needed a bit of privacy Don made a gesture towards Harry's bed with his head so that Pamela saw. Silently Pam nodded and followed her dear friend away from the hugging duo.

With the two healers out of ear shot Albus again whispered into Minerva's ear. "You can let it go now dear. I'm the only one here, and I have you."

The stern Professor's shoulders then began to shake in silent sobs, and Albus held onto her as tears wet his robes. He knew just how much it hurt this woman to find out that the child she thought as a grandchild was mistreated. She had been in such shock before that she just could not show emotions, but now the shock was gone, and everything was hitting her full force.

Gently Albus just held the woman as she let everything go. Rubbing soothing circled on her back and whispering those small words of comfort in her ear. Eventually, Minerva's shoulders stopped shaking and she pulled back a bit from Albus's face wiping the last of the tears away.

When Albus saw her do so he gently grabbed her hand to stop her and wiped them away himself.

"Do you feel better now?"

Slowly Minerva nodded. "Thank you Albus."

The Headmaster nodded his head still smiling at her. "Are you ready to go back to Hogwarts then? You can rest for the afternoon if you want. In fact, I think it would be for the best."

Slightly Minerva nodded as she fully detached herself from Albus. Smiling Albus patted her on the shoulder and nodded to the two Healers who were still keeping their distance so they could have a bit of privacy. First walking over to the two near Harry, both Albus, and Minerva said their goodbyes and then quietly left the room to go back home.

With them gone Pamela turned to Don and smiled. "I should take my leave as well. Do you have everything under control?"

Slowly Don nodded. "Thank you for all your help."

Smiling Pam reached up and placed a kiss on the man's cheek making him blush red as a tomato. "Call me if you need anything and no getting yourself into trouble tonight. I don't want to have dinner with you in Azkaban. Understand?"

Still blushing Don nodded while Pamela was sending him a scolding look. The witch then smiled and leaned in to place another kiss and whisper in his ear.

"I do love you Don, and I will wait for you as long as it takes."

She then pulled back and with one last smile left the room. Sitting on the edge of Harry's bed Don placed his hot blushing face in his sweaty hands. He didn't quite understand why he always got so embarrassed and clammed up when it came to Pamela. It's not as if they had just met, they had known each other for years now and have had the same feelings for one another since they met. Sighing Don lifted his head up and looked over at Harry who was sleeping peacefully.

The boy really was a sweet child. He was lying in bed in his pajamas hugging that small plushy tight to his chest. Getting up from the edge of the bed Don walked up to where Harry was and gently pulled the covers up so that they were just below his chin. As he did so Harry whimpered slightly in his sleep and hugged the stuffed toy a little closer to him. Not wanting to disturb his sleep any further Don smiled at him and then quietly left Harry in peace.

He then walked over to Severus who had just finished the required amount of food on his plate. Gently he removed the tray from the yawning man's lap and banished it to the kitchens. Don then sat down on the side of Severus's bed and placed a gentle hand on the man's forehead and felt the same fever that had been there before. When he confirmed that Severus needed a ever reducer he reached over and grabbed the vial he had placed next to the bed. He then uncorked it and handed it to Severus to drink down.

Scowling Severus accepted the potion vial and grimaced as he drank it down. It really was a shame that you couldn't add flavoring to potions as they did muggle medicine. It would mess with the potency and give side effects to the person who took the potion. Maybe somehow he could naturally laver them though instead of adding synthetic flavoring? There was a chance that could work...

Don watched as all those thoughts flew through Severus eyes and smiled. Sometimes that man was easy to read as a book at least when it came to when he was thinking of potion at least. He always had that calculating, fascinated look on his face when he thought of new ways to mix potions together to make them work better. It always amused Don because Severus was such an accomplished Occlumenest, but when it came to potions he could never hide the joy and wonder from his eyes.

Shaking out of his thoughts Don patted the dower man on the shoulder to shake him out of his thoughts. "Why don't you get some rest Severus? It will help you get better faster."

Severus nodded sinking back onto his pillows. When he was fully lying down though Severus didn't close his eyes and Don smiled at him with a hint of mischief in his eyes.

"Do you want me to summon Hissy so you can sleep better? I know he always made you feel better when you were smaller."

The glare Severus sent him was so dark that Don actually felt chills go down his back. It was worth it though when he saw the man blush from the tip of his nose all the way down to his toes. When he saw that blush he could not help, but let out a hearty chuckle making Severus blush all the more. Don then calmed down though, and gently patted the man on the shoulder.

"I'm just teasing you Severus. I know you wouldn't be caught dead sleeping with that poor lonely stuffed snake that still sits on your bookshelf."

Still blushing Severus looked down at his lap. "No I would not."

Still smiling Don patted Severus on the shoulder. "I know, just relax now and try to sleep some. Do you need some help getting to sleep?"

Slowly Severus nodded. "Yes please."

Nodding Don placed a hand on Severus's chest and started to send enough calming magic into Severus to put him asleep. Slowly Severus's closed his eyes and let the magic take over his body. When he was fully relaxed and snoring a bit Don smiled and then removed his hand stopping the magic flow.

Then, tucking in Severus completely so that the covers were just below his chin Don brushed all the stray hairs from his face.

"Good night Severus."

With that Severus, quietly left the room so his two boy's could get some sleep.

A little over and hour and a half passed before Severus woke again. Coughing violently he found himself sitting up and wrapped in strong arms he knew to be Don's. The Healer must have put a monitoring charm on him so that he would know when he woke. In the next moment Severus felt a vial of something pressed to his lips. Between the hacking coughs Severus gulped it down and felt his chest loosen up and then everything that was in his lungs come up in the next few minutes. All the while those strong arms were holding him upright to keep him from toppling over.

When the coughing fit was over Severus fell completely back into Don's arms exhausted. Realizing what he was doing though his body went ridged, and he tried to free his Healer from his burden the strong arms though just kept holding him and he finally heard what the man was telling him.

"Just relax Severus. I've got you."

Too tired to do any more Severus did as Don bid and relaxed as the Healer slowly lowered him onto the bed. Gently Don then placed a hand on his forehead and felt the small temperature that still resided there. Grabbing a potion from the bedside table Don carefully fed it to Severus and then grabbed for the jar of cream, but left it where it was sitting. He silently decided that the poor man on the bed had coughed up enough at the moment.

"Close your eyes Severus and rest a bit more. I'll take Harry down for his new glasses and entertain him for a while so you can rest. Maybe even take him for a small haircut."

Slowly Severus nodded as his eyes closed. Other times he would protest at being left to sleep in bed, but at this moment he was just so tired and if he were truthful he felt like absolute crap.

As the man slowly drifted off to sleep Don tucked him in and then turned to the now awake child on the other bed. The poor child was looking at Severus as if he were going to die at any moment. Don felt his heart leap a little in sympathy and then quickly proceeded over to Harry to soothe his fears.

Sitting down next to where Harry was clutching his stuffed toy so close to his chest that if the thing were alive, it would be suffocating. The Healer gently repositioned Harry so that he was now sitting sideways on his lap.

"What's wrong Harry?"

Don knew perfectly well what was wrong, Severus looked like death, but he wanted Harry to tell him that. Harry had started to open up a bit to him earlier, and he wanted to continue that trend. It was healthy for the boy to talk about what frightened him.

"Is...is Professor Snape ok?"

Giving the child a sad smile Don nodded. Severus had told him that he had asked Harry to call him by his first name, but it seemed that Harry was not quite comfortable with that yet. Sighing he supposed that would take time as well.

"He's going to be fine Harry. He has a touch of a chest infection, but with a lot of rest today he should be fine tomorrow. That is the beauty of magic if we were muggle Severus would be sick for at least a week before getting better."

As he was talking, Don was watching Harry closely and relaxed a little as he saw the child accept his words. Don then reached over to where he had folded the boy's clothes and placed them on the boy's lap.

"Why don't you go get changed Harry and we can go get your new glasses. How does that sound?"

Taking the clothing from Don Harry looked up at him. "Will...Professor Snape be ok if we leave him by himself?"

Smiling at the boy's concern Don nodded. "He will be fine Harry. I have a monitoring charm on him so I will know whether he wakes up or anything else."

Reassured Harry nodded and started to slip down from Don's lap. The child then quietly padded over to the bathroom in his slippers, and Don got off the bed to make it up. He didn't really have to make the bed, but it gave his mind a chance to do something without really thinking about it's task.

Just a few minutes later the bed was made, and Harry was looking at him from the doorway of the bathroom. Smiling at Harry he came over and wrapped an arm around his shoulders and started to lead him out of the room. As Don did so he noticed that the small plushy that had followed him everywhere he went yesterday was still on his bed. Smiling Don was glad that Harry was feeling comfortable enough to leave behind the small toy.

With that thought, the two left the room and started to walk down the hallway and down the stairs to where Harry would get his new glasses. When they reached, the room Don spotted the Healer he was looking for and gave him a smile.

Smiling at Don the Healer then looked down with his half moon glasses smiling at the small child. "Any you must be Harry. I have your prescription in the back, while I go get it why don't you and Don pick out some frames."

The optometrist then turned to go look for the paper Don had sent him earlier, and Don steered Harry towards a shelf of glasses.

"Pick some out Harry and try them on."

Harry just stood there in front of the large shelf of glasses though looking at each one. When a few minutes passed and Harry had done nothing Don placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Do you see any you like?"

Harry nodded, but continue to stare at them all. Sighing Don turned Harry slightly so that he could look him in the face.

"Then what's wrong Harry?"

Shuffling his feet Harry looked down. "There are no prices."

Understanding the problem Don knelt down before the boy and placed a hand on his chin lifting it up so that he could look into his eyes.

"Don't worry about that Harry. Severus and I have that all covered. You just pick out something that you like. Ok?"

Still shuffling his feet on the floor Harry gave a hesitant nod. "Aunt...Aunt Petunia said that glasses are expensive though, and that's why she got mine from the rubbish bin. I don't want to be a burden."

Don sighed and cursed that woman again. How dare she retrieve his glasses from the garbage! Tonight, he was definitely going to have a word with that woman."

"You are not a burden Harry and never will be. We want to get you nice glasses that you are happy with. Now pick some out and try them on."

When Don released Harry's chin the child nodded defeated. He then went over to the glasses self and took down a pare of gold wire oval shape glasses and replaced his old ones with those.

Stunned by how differed Harry looked in those glasses Don was silent when Harry turned to look at him. Those glasses where the ones to go with. They made the boy's green eyes pop and settled perfectly on his face.

Don the shook himself out of his shock like state when he saw Harry starting to look nervous. Smiling Don nodded at the boy.

"I think you picked out the perfect pair Harry. Those make you look quite handsome, and I know Severus will love them."

Harry gave Don a smile that stretched from ear to ear at his comment and then turned to look in the mirror. Sadly though with his bad vision though all he could see was a blurry version of himself looking back at himself.

When Don saw the smile falter Don placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"How about we put your prescription in these frames and then you can see for yourself how dashing you look?"

Slowly Harry nodded and took the new glasses off his nose and handed them over to Don who in turn gave them to the optometrist to get the lenses in them. While Harry had put on his old glasses, the eye Healer gave him a smile.

"I'll be right back with these all ready for you. Ok?"

Harry nodded and the two Healers discussed what extra charms should be placed on the frames and lenses. Such as an unbreakable charm, a waterproof charm, a growth charm for if/when Harry face started to change and a glare charm so that the sun would never interfere with what he could see.

With all that sorted out the optometrist carried the frames into the back and mere moments later came back with the new glasses all ready. Carefully he handed them to Harry when came close enough and then took the old glasses Harry gave him as he took those off.

Gently Harry placed his new glasses on and looked around in wonder. These were even better than the glasses Don had charmed for him. To his dismay, though he noticed that they were a bit loose on his face and kept sliding off.

As soon as the optometrist saw though he just motioned Harry to hand the glasses back to him. Harry though didn't understand and just stood there until the eye Healer smiled at him and tried to explain.

"I just want to adjust them Harry, so they don't keep slipping off your nose. Could you hand them to me?"

Understanding Harry handed the glasses to the Healers and watched with blurry awe at the golden light the Healer produced to do the adjustment. When he was done, the optometrist handed the glasses back to the boy, and Harry quickly put them on and was pleasantly surprised that they now fit perfect.

Giving the optometrist a shy smile Harry thanked him and then grabbed the hand Don was extending to him. Don said his goodbyes and silently whispered to add the glasses to his tab, and he would take care of paying later.

With that the two left the small office and Don turned to look at Harry.

"I think it might be time for a haircut. What do you think?"

As Harry brushed the hair out of his face he nodded. "I think I need one."

Don nodded and took hold of Harry's hand to lead the boy down a few doors where they had a small room where the clinic had a hair salon. Yes, it was mainly for woman who liked to have their hair done on a regular basis while they stayed here, but he figured that they could handle a small trim and Harry might actually feel more comfortable among woman then men.

Walking into the room a woman came over and smiled at the two and the looked down at Harry's messy mop of hair. "Need a trim?"

Both Don and Harry nodded making the woman chuckle. "I think we can arrange that. Come over here and have a seat."

Harry nodded, and Don followed as Harry hopped in the chair the woman had pointed to. The Hairdresser then placed a cloth around Harry's neck and started to wet Harry's hair with a spray bottle.

As the woman was tending to Harry's hair Don came and sat in the chair next to them so he could be close to Harry. Turning his head slightly Harry sent a grateful look at the Healer. It was nice to have his calming presence so near.

The woman then began to carefully trim the boy's hair and try to calm it at least a little. Ten minutes later Harry's hair was two inches shorter and much neater. As soon as the woman cast a drying charm on his hair though Harry's hair decided to stick up in all directions as it was before they walked in.

When Harry felt, his hair stick up he just shrugged his shoulder. "Don't worry, you'll never get it to stay down."

Sighing the woman nodded in defeat. "At least, it's shorter right?"

Harry nodded as the woman took away the sheet from his neck and then hopped down when it was completely gone. Giving the woman a grateful nod Don thanked her and grabbed Harry's hand again.

As they walked out of the small hair place Don looked down at Harry.

"What would you like to do now Harry?"

Shyly Harry looked down at his shoes, but then he gained enough courage to look up at Don and ask what he wanted.

"Can we take a walk in the garden? I would like to see it with my new glasses."

Don smiled, heartened that Harry was slowly overcoming his fear of looking at people when he asked a question. "Yes Harry; of course. Maybe I can tell you some more of where Severus stays in the summers."

Grabbing onto Don's hand Harry happily nodded. "I would like that."
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2735