Going Home by Swamygliders
Summary: Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 217148 Read: 134753 Published: 08 Jan 2012 Updated: 25 Jun 2012
Visits by Swamygliders
Author's Notes:
Later that day, just after Harry and Severus finished their lunch the floo went off behind them. Severus couldn't help, but let out an exasperated grown. Couldn't everyone just leave them alone for just a few hours? Because honestly that was all he really wanted. Some peace and quiet with his child; that was all. Was that really too much to ask?
Later that day, just after Harry and Severus finished their lunch the floo went off behind them. Severus couldn't help, but let out an exasperated grown. Couldn't everyone just leave them alone for just a few hours? Because honestly that was all he really wanted. Some peace and quiet with his child; that was all. Was that really too much to ask?

It seemed so as Severus heard Albus call for him from the living room. Letting out an exaggerated sigh he pushed himself back from the table and made his way for where he knew Albus was.

Before making his way to the living room though Severus made a quick stop by Harry's bedroom to make sure Harry was still resting peacefully. When he saw the boy was tucked in and curled up in his blankets he quietly closed the door behind him and cast a silencing charm on the door so that Harry would not be disturbed.

It seemed that at least one good thing had come out of these last few days. With Severus's help Harry was finally able to sleep without horrific nightmares. It was a small feat, but one never the less; one that Severus was grateful for.

Walking into the living room Severus stopped in the doorway in surprise. He had expected Albus, but not the older woman who was standing next to him. She was tall, almost as tall as Albus and had a Grandmother like appearance complete with the short curly hair and kind smile.

Coming a bit closer Severus nodded his head in greeting to Albus and then turned to the new woman.

"I'm sorry, I don't think we have met. I'm Severus. May I enquire who you are?"

The woman looked him up and down while narrowing her eyes. "So you are the Professor that gave Harry such a hard time last year. You oughta be ashamed of yourself, you know."

Severus closed his eyes for a moment. "You're Mrs. Landow then?"

Nodding her head stiffly and still frowning the woman left Albus's side and started to circle Severus. When she was back in front of him, she stopped and put her hands on her hips. "So do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"I have come to see how wrong I was and I am trying to make it up to him."

"Are you really? You better be doing a damn good job. Do you have any idea how much you hurt him last year? You hated him from the very first moment you laid eyes on him and reinforced every notion that his relatives were right."

Albus came forward and placed a gentle hand on the woman's shoulder to try to calm her. "We already talked about this Mrs. Landow. A lot has changed since last year and Severus is trying his hardest. You must not be so harsh."

She turned and looked at Albus pointing her finger at him. "Were you in the kitchen when that boy was pouring out his heart to you and broke down because he couldn't understand why his Professor hated him so much? I didn't think so. I can be a 'harsh' as I want, because I was there!"

"Please calm down. I know are frustrated that you could do nothing to help Harry, but things have changed, and he has help now."

The woman closed her eyes. "I know."

Turning around she looked at Severus no longer with narrowed, accusing eyes. "I am sorry. It is hard knowing that a child you care about is being hurt at home, emotionally at school, and not being able to do anything about it."

Severus gave a slight nod. "I understand. Now please let's sit down. Can I get you anything to eat or drink?"

Mrs. Landow gave a small shake of the head. "No thank you. May I ask where Harry is though?"

Severus placed a guiding hand on the woman's arm and led her to the near by couch so she could sit.

"He is taking a nap right now, but he should be up soon."

As Severus sat next to the older woman she gave a small nod. "How is he doing?"

Severus smiled a bit. "He is adjusting, but doing well."

"Good. I know this is prying, but why are you the one taking care of him?"

Severus sighed. "A long story short, his mother was my best friend."

Mrs. Landow let out a small laugh. "Some friend she must have been for how you treated him last year."

Albus shot the woman a disapproving look. "His father, who Harry has a striking resemblance to, was also the bully who tormented Severus for seven years."

"Oh." The woman blushed and looked at Severus with slightly kinder eyes. "It must have been hard then to see Harry in your class everyday."

Severus gave a small nod. "It was, until I realized that he really is nothing like his father."

Severus then turned to look at the bedroom Harry was in and got off the couch. "Excuse me, I hear Harry is up. I want to let him know we have guests before he comes out. I don't want Harry to jump to the wrong conclusions.

"Severus shot a significant look at Albus and the older man nodded.

Knowing that he was understood Severus turned back around and went to Harry's room.

As he approached Harry's door the man canceled the silencing spell on the door and gently opened it. Entering, a smile graced Severus's face as he saw Harry sitting up sleepily on the bed.

"Hi sleepyhead."

Harry looked at Severus with sleepy eyes and rubbed them. Reaching out with his other hand he grabbed up his glasses and placed them on his face.

"Hi daddy. Is there anything wrong?"

Severus came in a bit more and sat down on the edge of Harry's bed. "No child, I just wanted to let you know we have a guest."

Harry looked at his daddy with worry etched in his eyes. "Who is it? Are they here to take me away?"

Gently Severus laid a hand on Harry's child. "No Harry, not at all. You might know her though...she goes by Mrs. Landow."

"Mrs. Landow? At Hogwarts?"

Severus gave a small nod. "I believe the Headmaster wanted to surprise you."

Harry smiled, jumped out of bed and went in front of the mirror. Carefully the boy straightened out his shirt and brushed the rumples from his pants. Turning he looked at Severus.

"Do I look ok?"

Severus let out a small chuckle. "Your acting like you're going out on a date Harry."

The boy looked down at his outfit and blushed. "I'm sorry...it's...it's just that the last time she saw me...I...I looked really bad."

Getting up off the bed Severus came over and placed a hand on each of Harry's shoulders. "Look at me Harry."

Harry looked up at Severus still blushing.

"It doesn't matter what you wear on the outside, Harry. Only what you have in your heart and your heart will always shine through what a wonderful young man you are. Now come on, I am sure Mrs. Landow is anxious to see you."

"Ok daddy, thank you."

Harry leaned forward into Severus's chest, and the man gently wrapped his arms around the boy. Looking down at the messy haired boy Severus bent forward a little and rested his chin on the boy's head.

A moment later Harry pulled away and looked up at Severus. "Do I really look ok?"

Severus smiled and reached out to ruffle the boy's hair. "Yes, you little scamp. You are going to be difficult when you start dating aren't you?"

Harry blushed again and reached up to try to tame his hair although he knew it was a useless cause.

"Come on then Harry. Let's go and see her."

"Ok daddy."

Severus placed an arm around Harry's shoulders and gently led Harry out of the room to see his old friend. When they reached the living room though all thoughts of nervousness left Harry's mind as he saw Mrs. Landow. He jumped out of Severus's arms and ran to the woman with his arms outstretched.

Leaping into her arms Harry could not help the stray tears that escaped his eyes. "Your here! You're really here!"

The woman oped her arms wide and accepted Harry's hug gratefully. "Yes I am here Harry, now let me look at you."

Harry pulled back from the embrace and let the woman study his critically. "You are still too thin. Is he feeding you properly? And I don't mean as your relatives did."

"Yes he is. He makes sure I eat enough at meals, and he even gives me special medicine to make up for all the meals I missed."

The woman nodded and looked over at Severus with narrowed eyes. " I hope he does."

Looking back at Harry she looked him over once more. "Well, you do look better than you did this summer. Are you doing alright here? You can come stay with me if you want."

Harry looked at Severus and then back at Mrs. Landow. "I'm happy here, actually really happy."

"That's good Harry. You promised you would write to me though once you got here. I understand that you were busy, but try not to make an old woman worry or miss Headwig too much."

The woman smiled at Harry again. "You know you could have told me you were a wizard. That would have explained a lot; I knew you didn't go to a school for the criminally insane."

Harry blushed and looked down while Severus looked on incredulously. "They said you went to school where?"

Harry's face grew redder as Severus stared at both the boy and the woman on the couch.

"They said I went to St. Brutus's Secure Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys."

"They what! If they were not in jail..."

Albus got up from his seat and placed a calming hand on Severus's shoulder. "Calm down Severus."

Severus visibly deflated. "I'm sorry. I should not have raised my voice. I am sorry Harry."

Harry got up from his seat next to Mrs. Landow and walked over to Severus wrapping his arms around the man. "I know you were not yelling at me daddy. It's ok."

Severus looked down at the small body that was now clinging to him. Sighing he looked up at Mrs. Landow who was frowning at him. He was now just finding out that it was not easy to get on her good side and if he were honest he didn't blame her one bit. Harry had been through a lot and if it were him who had to watch as the boy was hurt again, and again he wouldn't trust easily either.

Severus pulled Harry back a little and knelt down so Harry did not have to look up. The poor boy really was short for his age. "I still should not have raised my voice, Harry, even if I was not yelling at you. I was wrong Harry even if I was upset by what your relative did."

Harry gave a slight nod as he buried his face back onto Severus robes. Severus just sighed and hugged the child close to him.

Ever since the social worker had come that morning Harry had been very clingy. It's not that Severus did not enjoy the closeness that Harry was craving, but he was slightly worried about the boy. Don was supposed to come by later maybe he could talk to him.

Looking up at the woman on the couch he saw her smile at him and he sighed. Harry really was ruining his reputation, but he knew it was worth it. Harry needed care and he didn't mind giving it.

Adverting his gaze back down at Harry he ruffled his hair. "Harry, why don't you go catch up with Mrs. Landow while I talk to Albus. I'm sure she would like to know everything that has happened."

Harry looked up at Severus and smiled. "Ok daddy."

The boy then scampered off to sit back down next to the older woman and started chattering like any other twelve-year old boy. Severus had to smile, it was nice seeing Harry act like his age. Maybe this woman would have to visit more often, or they could take trips to her house? Something to ponder.

Turning back to Albus, Severus waved his hand indicating that they should move to the other room to let Harry and Mrs. Landow have some privacy. He also wanted to have a small private word with the man.

When they reached Severus's office the man quietly closed the door behind Albus. Waving Albus to have a seat Severus himself took the seat across for Albus on the chair. Deciding to forgo any further pleasantries Severus jumped right in and asked Albus what he wanted to know.

"The horcruxs?"

Albus sighed, got out of his seat and started pacing the length of the room with his head down and his hands behind his back. When Severus couldn't stand it any more he got up from his chair and went over to the man placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Tell me."

Albus again sighed as he looked at Severus. "Well, I have some good news with the bad at least. I tracked down that person who I believed had information and I was able to question him. It seems that we at least have one less horcrux to worry about. Before he got the chance to make his sixth, Harry vanished him."

Severus gave a small nod as he slumped back in his seat. "What has you pacing the room then?"

Sitting down Albus leaned back and looked as old as he felt. "I tracked down one of the horcruxs or so I had thought. I went to a cave and fished it out with Minerva's help, but it seems that it was a fake."

Severus looked up at the man who was sadly shaking his head. "So there are still five of them left?"

"Yes. Minerva and I are going to seek out another one we suspect to be in Tom Riddle's Grandparents old manner later this week."

The younger man gave a slight nod. "Can I help in any way?"

Albus reached over and placed a hand on Severus's knee. "You are helping just by being there for Harry. Let me worry about all this."

Severus looked at Albus who looked tired and old and nodded his head solemnly. He knew Albus would argue with him if he insisted on helping and he would lose, but the man looked so frail right now, and he desperately wanted to help.

"What about the mutt and the wolf?"

Albus gave a slightly stern look at Severus. "Severus, I know that you never got along in school, but could you please be respectful to them for Harry's sake?"

The man shrugged his shoulders. "He's not here, is he?"

Sighing Albus shook his head knowing that any further attempt would be useless. "I sent a letter to Remus, and he has yet to respond, but the Ministry has already begun to start the processes for giving Sirius Black a proper trial. He will be put on the stand and asked questions under Veritaserum. Hopefully he will be cleared."

Severus gave a small nod. "How is everything else?"

Albus gave a small nod. "The students are all doing well except for a few who seem to be failing already. Of course, it's none of your snakes."

The younger man gave a small nod. "That is good to hear." He then looked up at Albus and gave him a serious gaze. "Is there anything I can do to help you with your headmaster duties. You have been looking awfully tired lately Albus and I know you have been buried in paperwork."

Albus looked up at the man and held his gaze for a moment before looking away sighing. "Yes, there has been much paperwork lately from the ministry, but I don't want you to worry about that. You already have enough on your plate."

"You fell asleep in the great hall last night."

It was a simple statement, but one that made Albus wince. Turning away slightly Albus sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened his eyes he looked at Severus with a small smile.

"You would have noticed my moment of dozing off. I am an old man Severus, and I sometimes slip up or doze off. Please don't let it worry you."

Severus gave the tired man a piercing look. "If you are sure Albus."

Later on Severus wold be sending Don up to check on him. He knew his mentor had a habit of sacrificing his health 'for the greater good'.

Before Albus could reassure Severus any further though, there was a small knock on the door. Turning slightly Severus got up and walked over to the door leading out into the hallway.

Opening the heavy door Severus was surprised to see Draco Malfoy with Arthur Weasley behind him.

"Draco? Arthur?"

Arthur placed a gentle hand on Draco's shoulder while the boy looked down and started to study the floor.

"Hi Severus. Could we come in?"

Severus stepped back and let the two in shutting the door behind them. "Please have a seat."

Both man and boy sat on the couch Severus had just occupied while Severus came and sat in another chair next to Albus.

As soon as Albus saw the two come in and sit down he got up and made some excuse of having to go. Before he left though, Severus gave him a piecing look.

"Don't think our conversation is over old man. Expect Don to drop by later."

Over his shoulder Albus rolled his eyes. "If you insist Severus. Have a good day boys and Draco?"

Draco looked up at his Headmaster who was smiling at him. "Know that Hogwarts will always help those who ask for it."

The boy blushed and looked down. He was still not used to adult figures other than his mother and Severus caring if he needed help of not.

Pretending to ignore the blush Albus gave the three his last goodbyes and walked out the door and into the hallway.

As soon as Albus left the room Severus's attention was turned back to Draco. "How are you doing Draco?"

The boy shrugged his shoulders while looked down at his feet. Severus's gaze rose to meet Arthur's eyes, and the man gave a tiny nod.

"Is there a reason you came here Draco?"

The boy gave a small nod still looking down. Arthur placed a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder.

"It's ok Draco. I'm right here."

Draco looked up at Arthur and he nodded heaving in a small shaky breath. "Would you and Potter like to join us for dinner this weekend?"

Severus gave the boy a small smile, but the other man could see the flying emotions go through Severus's eyes. Finally, Severus smiled and reached forward to grab ahold of Draco's hand.

"I am honored, Draco, that you wish Harry and myself to join your new family for dinner. Some things have come up though, and Harry is going to have to take a trip next week. When things settle down a bit, we would love to join you for a dinner party."

Draco's face fell. "You don't like me anymore?"

Severus sighed and gave the boy's hand a gentle squeeze. "I will always love you Draco. This has nothing to do with that. Why don't we have dinner next week?"

Slowly Draco nodded. "Ok."

"Did you want to visit with Harry for a bit?"

Shyly Draco looked up. "Can I? Is that alright?"

"It will be fine Draco. Right now, he is in the living room talking with an old muggle friend. She is a kind, older woman who I am sure you would like as well."

Draco gave a small nod.

"Come on then Draco."

Draco got up and Severus continued his hold on the boy's hand as he led the boy into the living room with Arthur closely behind them.

When they entered Harry and Mrs. Landow looked up from where they were chatting. The woman gave a questioning glance to the young boy entering while Harry just looked nervous.

Still grasping Severus's hand for comfort Draco came forward to stand in front of Harry. He stood there for a few seconds before he got up the courage to speak and when he did gain the courage his words came out in a jumble.

"I'."

It took a moment for Harry to understand what the boy was saying, but once he did Harry gave a soft sad smile remembering more of what had been revealed to him in the hospital wing.

"It's ok Draco, I understand. Please call me Harry though, I don't like being called Potter."

Draco looked stunned. "You...you are just accepting my apology...just like that?"

Harry nodded. "I understand why you were like that Draco, and it's in the past. I know you may not want to be, but maybe we could be friends."

The boy still clutching to Severus's hand looked at Harry amazed by his capability to forgive. He knew if their positions had been switched it would have taken a lot more for Harry to apologize to him.

"I...I would very much like that."

Harry smiled and held out his hand to Draco. "Friends?"

Draco stopped clutching onto Severus's hand so that he could reach forward and take Harry's hand. "Friends."

Severus turned and looked at Arthur and they shared a small smile. He then turned back and looked at Mrs. Landow.

"Would you mind it if Draco joined you two for a little while?"

The older woman shook her head. "Not at all."

"I'll be back in a little bit ok boys? I just want to talk with Arthur for a moment."

Harry gave a small nod and scooted over on the couch a bit so that Draco could sit down next to him. Draco did so abut a little reluctantly. He was still nervous around this new woman and his former enemy.

When he was settled though the two adults turned to go back to Severus's office. Before they could move to far though, Draco called for Arthur. Concerned the man turned back to look at his new son.

"You'll come back for me, right?"

The man gave him a small smile. "Certainly, I could never leave without you."

Draco gave a small smile and nodded.

When Arthur saw the nod, he turned back around and followed Severus back into his office. After coming through the door, he quietly closed it behind him and sat in the chair across from where Severus sat.

"How is Draco really doing?"

Arthur let out a small sad smile. "He is hurting, but I think he will be fine with time."

"Can I ask you to keep him home for another week?"

Arthur rose a questioning eyebrow, but nodded. "May I ask why?"

Severus let out a small sigh. "It seems we have underestimated Lucius's reach into the school. It would just be best and safest for Draco stays away for a little while more."

The man across from Severus nodded tiredly. "That is no problem. I was going to ask the Headmaster anyway if he stayed home a little longer anyway. While I do think he will heal fine, but as I said he is still hurting over his Mother abandoning him."

Severus nodded, but narrowed his eyes at Arthur. There was something more that he was hinting at, and he wanted to know what it was. "What do you mean?"

Arthur sighed and his eyes became far away as if he was remembering something and he was.

"A few nights ago Ginny had a small tantrum and smashed a dish on the floor. Draco was in the room and saw Molly turn Ginny around and swat her bottom a few times and then hug her close to her chest as she cried. Draco didn't become upset, but the next night he smashed a dish on the floor and then looked at both of us expecting the same reaction. The hurt and pain that was swirling in his eyes was unbearable. It was obvious that he just wanted to be reassured that we still wanted him.

I pulled him into a hug and that was when the dam broke. He has been so deprived of physical contact that he didn't know how to ask for it and so he did what he saw would invite some comfort even if it would earn him a few smacks.

It rips my heart out every time I see him like that. He has broken down several times like that after that incident. He just wants someone to hold him and assure him he is not alone. Both Molly and I make an effort to give him as many hugs as we can a day. It seems to help some."

Severus gave a nod seemingly deep in thought. "How is he interacting with others besides yourself and Molly?"

"You mean with Ginny?"

Severus gave a small nod.

"A bit shy, but they get along well. I can only hope that when Ron comes home that Ginny can knock some sense into his head. If anyone can it would be her. She has one mean bat bogey hex and is not afraid to use it."

Severus had to smile at that. "And may I enquire where she learned that?"

"Well, I hear she heard the incantation as it was used on the Headmaster earlier this year."

Snorting Severus shook his head. "I can't believe she heard that, she mush have been lurking in the shadows as I was when Minerva aimed that at him. I understand she was quite upset at him over Harry living with the Durleys."

"Minerva? Really?"

"Yes, and apparently he couldn't find the counter curse. Naturally, she refused to lift it for an entire hour."

Arthur shook his head in mirth. "Remind me never to get on her bad side."

Severus let out another snort. "My feelings exactly."

Arthur then looked towards the door to where Draco and Harry were. "And Harry? You said something about him taking a trip this week?"

Closing his eyes Severus nodded and told the man the entire tale about how they had discovered that Harry had distant cousins on his father's side and how he was being made to spend time with them.

Arthur nodded knowingly. "And you want to spend as much time with him before he leaves. I understand, but please do come to dinner next week. It will hurt Draco if you do not."

"I promise we will."

"Good. I should probably get back home with Draco. Molly worries if I keep him out too long."

As Arthur got up Severus placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. When the man turned to look at Severus he saw the glint of gratitude in his eyes.

"Thank you for taking Draco in. I would have, but I didn't want to deprive either one the attention they deserve. I know that it is much better for him to have many people around him that care for him."

Arthur gave a small smile. "And thank you Severus for taking in Harry. You are perfect for him, and I am glad that you found he was hurting."

Not knowing what more to say Severus just nodded and let the man go out and collect his son.

Entering the room again Severus was met with three wide smiles. Glad to see Harry and Draco were getting along he let out a smile of his own.

"I think it's time for you to go home Draco."

The boy nodded and looked at Harry. "We'll see each other soon alright?"

Harry gave a small nod. "Soon."

Draco then walked over to Arthur and let the man wrap his arm around his shoulder. "We'll take our leave now. Have a good weekend all of you."

With that Arthur and Draco walked to the door and went out into the hallway. When they had left Mrs. Landow got up and looked up at Severus. "I really should be going as well. I need to feed my cat."

Severus nodded. "Did the Headmaster mention how he was taking you home?"

She nodded. "Yes, he said that I could floo to his office and he would bring me back home. By the way, what is flooing?"

Severus smiled a bit. "You remember how you came?

"When he saw her nod, he continued. "Well that is flooing. You just throw some floo powder in the fire and jump in after declaring your destination."

Nodding again she turned to Harry and planted a big kiss to his forehead. "You behave yourself now, and you can call me whenever you want."

Harry nodded blushing from being kissed. Severus had to smile at Harry's embarrassment.

"Here let me show you how. Maybe when you see Albus you can ask him to connect you to the floo network. I know someone here would love to see you more."

The woman nodded as he led her to the fireplace. "I will ask him."

When they were next to the fireplace and Severus had yelled out the destination the woman discretely turned to face him.

"Please take care of that child. It seems that you are the best thing that could have happened to him. He loves you dearly, and I can tell you love him too."

Severus gave a small nod. "I will take care of him for as long as I live. You can count on that."

She nodded and then stepped into the fireplace.

As soon as she left Harry came up to him and placed a hand on his arm. Looking down Severus smiled when he saw Harry blushing.

What is it Harry?"

"Are you angry at me?"

Severus looked down confused. "No child. Why do you ask?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders and shuffeled his feel making Severus sigh. Sometimes it truly was like pulling teeth the muggle way to get any information out of Harry.

Gently Severus placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Come on Harry and let's sit down. Then, we can talk."

Harry nodded and let Severus guide Harry over to the couch. As he sat down Severus sat next to him and drew Harry up so that he was sitting close to his side.

"Now talk to me Harry. Why do you think I'm angry at you?"

"Your sending me away to my cousins."

Gently Severus snaked his arm around the boy's shoulders and drew him a little closer. "Oh Harry. I'm not sending you away. If I had it my way I would keep you here under my watchful eye for the rest of your life."

Harry nodded, but rested his head on Severus's chest. "Why do I have to go then?"

Sighing Severus looked down at the boy. "It's complicated Harry. The Ministry thinks that these people because they are related to you would be better suited to take care of you."

Harry turned his head up and looked into Severus's face. "I don't think so though, I just want to stay with you."

Reaching up and ruffling Harry's hair Severus smiled. "I know you do scamp. It will be good for you though to meet part of your family even if you don't want to go live with them."

Harry leaned his head back down to rest on Severus's chest. "I'm going to miss you."

"I know Harry and I'll miss you. We'll be able to talk through our journals though ."

Harry nodded against Severus's chest. "I love you daddy."

"I love you too son."

Later that night Harry awoke from a startling dream. It wasn't a nightmare per-say, just one of those dreams that woke you suddenly and made you slightly nervous. For a few minutes Harry lay motionless in his bed knowing that his daddy wouldn't be cross with him for waking him, but then not really wanting to test his luck.

Sighing he finally decided that he would risk his luck. He wanted to be near someone, anyone at the moment. So he threw the covers off his body and slowly slipped off the bed and padded to his bedroom door. Exiting his room he quietly went over to Severus's room and turned the nob.

As he did so he realized that he had never been in his daddy's room before. He wondered what everything would look like and if the man would mind that he was invading his privacy.

When he fully entered the room, he looked around with a curious eye. The décor was much like the rest of the rooms, comfortable and in deep tans. There was a cabinet that Harry assumed held clothing along the far wall and deep red curtains that framed a large window looking out to the black lake. As he looked around the room some more, Harry spotted the bed, and the sleeping potions master that lay within it tucked under the many covers.

Quietly Harry called out to Severus. "Daddy?"

No answer so Harry tried a bit more loudly. "Daddy?"

Again no answer so Harry moved a little closer to the bed and tried again. "Daddy?"

This time a tired voice came from the bed. "Harry, child, is that you?"

Harry nodded, but realized that in the darkness Severus could not see him. "Yes, it's me daddy."

Concerned Severus sat up and peered in the direction he heard Harry's voice come from. "What's wrong child?"

"I didn't want to be by myself."

Sighing Severus pulled back the covers and patted the bed meaningfully. "Come here Harry."

Harry came forward, but paused beside the bed. "A...are you sure?"

"Yes, child, hop in."

Harry carefully slid underneath the blankets and Severus covered him up hugging him close as he did.

"Is there anything troubling you?"

"I don't know. I kind of had a weird dream, but I can't really remember it."

"What part do you remember?"

Harry snuggled close into Severus's arms and rested his head against his chest. Sleepily he started to tell Severus what he remembered. "You were wearing a purple hat, and the Headmaster was smiling at you."

"That is a strange dream. Why don't you close your eyes now and try to have a better one? Hmmm?"

Harry nodded against Severus's chest and let the man's heartbeat sooth him into a peaceful dream.

Looking down at the now sleeping child Severus brushed back the messy hair. "That's it child."

He then carefully leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead and hugged him just a bit closer.

He knew it had just been a little more than a week since Harry was in his little world, but Merlin how was he going to live without him for a week? It really was amazing how attached they had become.

Focusing on that line of thought Severus thought back to Don's visit earlier that day. The man had come shortly after dinner when they were on the couch reading a book that Pam had brought the boy.

He was still slightly angry with the woman, but he did understand where she was coming from. She was just trying to help both of them. His handwriting truly was atrocious and would do more harm than good for Harry if he were to help him. He loathed to admit it, but maybe he could do with some help from Pam.

Don had suggested it before, and he had been putting it off, but maybe now he could take the offer and turn it into something for Harry. Make it into a lesson about how everyone needs help sometimes. Merlin knows Harry still needs some help in that department.

Tangent aside Don had checked Harry's arm once more when he had visited and declared that Harry could take it out of the sling. It was as much as a relief for Severus as it was Harry. That thing had gotten in the way more than a few times and Severus was ready to get rid of it.

He had also checked Harry's writing hand again for anything funny going on with it as Pam had asked him too. He found nothing new that was hurting the boy, but he did find a bone that had healed in the wrong position and that was making it harder for him to write with a quill.

Since it was not life threatening though, they had decided to forego the spells that would fix it until Harry came back to school and had a few days where he didn't have to write anything. It was not that it was a particularly invasive or painful procedure, but it would make Harry's hand sore for a few days, and it would be best if he were able to rest it before trying to use it again.

With that settled Don had gone on to give Harry a small therapy session in his room so that the boy could let out anything that was bothering him. Don had even said that they had talked a little about Harry's past with his relatives and that was why Don had called him in so that he could comfort the boy. Apparently, Harry had only wanted Severus to hold him right then.

Shortly after Harry had calmed down, Severus had sent Don to go check up on Albus and had settled Harry back on the couch with him and a book in hand. Severus was soon finding out that reading soothed the boy and made him calm down quicker than anything else; even a calming potion.

Severus sighed as he was broken out of his thoughts by a soft snore. Looking down again Severus laid back himself and began to get more comfortable. With Harry still snuggled up against his side, Severus looked at the small face.

Today during Don's visit was truly a testament to how close they had gotten. He really hoped that he did nothing to break that trust or to hurt the child. If he did he didn't think he would be able to bare it.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2735