Going Home by Swamygliders
Summary: Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 217148 Read: 134751 Published: 08 Jan 2012 Updated: 25 Jun 2012
Papers by Swamygliders
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much Lady Destiny for being my amazing beta!

Waking up slowly, Harry curled tightly into his sheets wondering why he had a very warm spot on his chest. His hand was resting on top of it, and it felt very fuzzy and small, almost like his stuffed cat, but this one felt warm...and was that purring he felt? He knew his toy cat couldn't do that.
Waking up slowly, Harry curled tightly into his sheets wondering why he had a very warm spot on his chest. His hand was resting on top of it, and it felt very fuzzy and small, almost like his stuffed cat, but this one felt warm...and was that purring he felt? He knew his toy cat couldn't do that.

Giving his mind a few more seconds to fully awake, he stroked the small fluff ball on his chest and marveled at its softness. As he did so he felt whatever it was shake harder.

Curiosity getting the better of him. Harry slowly opened his eyes and looked down at his chest. There was a small black ball that had two big green eyes looking at him. Surprised Harry removed his hand and watched as the small creature stood up and arched it's back stretching. Leaning on its back feet, the green eyes closed, and the small mouth opened wide in a yawn.

When the small kitten had finished stretching and yawning it slowly began to walk closer to Harry's face giving the boy's cheek a small sniff, but then apparently deciding that Harry was suitable, lowered its head and butted him, asking to be stroked.

Smiling, Harry pet the kitten as requested and listened as the small creature purred even harder.

"I wonder who you belong to little one. You sure are sweet."

Startling Harry, Severus spoke up amused by his son's antics with the kitten. "He's yours Harry."

Looking over at Severus, wide eyed, Harry absently continued to pet the small fuzz ball. "He's mine? ….but how?"

Severus got off the chair he was sitting in and came over to sit on the edge of Harry's bed. Reaching out the man started to pet the kitten with Harry, and the small creature turned to see who the new hand belonged to. When he saw it was Severus, the small kitten opened her mouth and let out a small mew in greeting.

Smiling at both the kitten and Harry, Severus picked up the small thing and placed it gently back on Harry's chest so that he could get a clear view of his boy's face. "I believe Albus thought you would like a companion. She doesn't have a name, so you can name her whatever you want."

Reaching down to pet the small thing absently Harry looked up at Severus. "You...you mean I can keep her?"

Severus smiled and patted Harry on the shoulder. "Certainly Harry. There is something you should know about her though. She is no ordinary kitten; she is what they call a protective kneazle. They choose only one person to bond with within their lifetime, and they give their complete loyalty to the one they choose ."

Harry blushed as he looked down at his new friend who was currently kneading on his chest and purring.

Smiling Severus continued. "They are also very protective of whomever they bond with. Once they sense any kind of danger, they will throw up a protective shield around the one they have chosen to protect."

Recognition sparked in Harry's eyes as he looked down at the small fuzzy creature. "So...you mean...she's chosen me?"

Severus gave a small nod. "I couldn't separate you two if I wanted to. Have you thought of a name?"

Harry nodded as he continued to stroke the young cat. Even since he was little he always knew what he wanted to call his first pet. "What do you think of Arwen? I've always liked that name."

The cat sat down on Harry's chest and meowed happily making both Severus and the boy smile.

"I think she likes it Harry."

Harry smiled and watched as the kitten walked back up his chest and up to his neck. When she reached Harry's chin she walked down Harry's shoulder and onto the pillow Harry's head was still resting on. Walking in circles a few times the kitten made herself comfortable and lay down in a tiny ball giving a content meow.

As his kitten made herself comfortable Harry carefully sat up in bed, but looked down at his lap. Memories from yesterday were coming back full force.

Sensing the mood shift in the boy Severus gave a small sigh and rested a gentle hand on the boy's back. He would pry, but after Harry got some food in him. It was not healthy for Harry to skip any meals, especially when he was so thin the begin with.

"Are you hungry Harry?"

Harry was very hungry from not having any lunch or dinner last night, but he shook his head no. He had lied to his daddy, and he felt he deserved not eating for that lie.

"Does your tummy hurt?"

Again, Harry shook his head. It was a bit upset, but he figured it was just because he was so hungry.

Frowning Severus removed his hand from Harry's back and placed it on Harry's chin, tilting it up so that he could look Harry in the eyes.

"Child, what is wrong?"

Harry tried to move his head so that he didn't have to look at his daddy, but Severus's hand was preventing him from moving. Knowing his daddy was going to be mad at him for lying tears began to form in Harry's eyes. He couldn't help it; ideas of him being thrown out for being so ungrateful were flowing through his mind.

As soon as Severus saw the tears he closed his eyes for a moment, but when he opened them he set into action to try to calm his child. Gently he removed his hand from the boy's chin and pulled the boy close to his chest and wrapped his arms around his back.

"It's ok Harry, but I need to know how you're feeling. Do you hurt anywhere or are you in any pain?"

Harry shook his head against Severus's shoulder ignoring the pain in his stomach that was growing. "Then what is wrong child? Are you still sleepy?"

More tears stated coming from Harry's eyes as he shook his head again. More than concerned and confused Severus gently pulled Harry up out of the covers and stood up with the boy in his arms. Sitting down in the rocking chair Severus made sure Harry was sitting comfortably on his lap and then started to rock back and forth.

"Shhhh It's alright Harry."

But every attempt at soothing the boy just made him cry harder. The kinder his daddy became, the guiltier Harry felt.. How could he be so ungrateful to lie to him like that? Although the small voice in the back of his head kept telling him he had done it so that he wouldn't bother his daddy.

At a loss of what to do with the distraught child, Severus reached around for his pendent and called silently for Don. He hoped the Healer could tell what was wrong with Harry. Seeing his child like this was unbearable and not being able to console him...that was even worse.

Just minutes after being called Don came into the room with concern sparkling in his eyes. Quickly he came over to the crying boy. Sitting down next to the two he placed a gentle hand on Harry's back making him flinch.

"Harry can you please tell us what the matter is?"

Again, Harry shook his head, as he continued to cry. Sighing Don started to try to calm down the child with his calming magic, for it was obvious Harry was well into working himself into a panic attack.

"Breathe Harry. Breathe."

Slowly Harry's breathing started to return to normal, but the fear that had led him to hyperventilating in the first place was still there.

Gently Severus pulled Harry back from his robes and rested Harry's head on his shoulder so that the boy could see both Don and himself.

Stroking Harry's hair back Severus placed a tender kiss on Harry's forehead. "Please Harry, tell us what the matter is."

Even though Harry's breathing had normalized, his tears continued to fall as he shook his head.

Sighing Severus looked to Don for help. Why didn't Harry feel as though he could tell him what was wrong? Had he said something that upset him? Was it something to do with his time with those Death Eaters? Or was it possible that Harry had some damage from the Cruciatus Curse?

With a reassuring glance at the new parent, Don got up from his chair and walked over to the bed. Picking up a blanket he walked back over to Severus and gently tucked the blanket around the small boy. Then slowly Don pulled the chair up and sat right in front of the distraught Harry.

"I know you don't want to tell us what the matter is Harry, but how can we help you if you don't tell us what is wrong?"

Harry looked down and clutched onto his daddy while he shook his head.

Sighing Don placed a gentle hand on Harry's back and ignored the flinch. "Are you upset about something that happened yesterday?"

Opening his eyes wide Harry begun to shake his head, but stopped and slowly nodded. Smiling at the boy Don gently patted Harry's back.

"Very good Harry. Are you thinking about what that man did to you?"

Harry shook his head and closed his eyes tightly. He did not want to remember what had happened to him just then. Especially when he was so worried about what Severus would do when he found out that he had lied to him. Would he abandon him? Would he give him back to his cousins? Would they care for him like Severus had? Probably not, because he was such a dirty freak.

Unbeknownst to Harry he had been so upset that he had been broadcasting his thoughts, and any one with the slightest skill in Legilimency could hear that included Severus and Don who both looked at the boy sadly.

When Harry opened his eyes again Severus hugged the boy even closer. "Oh Harry, is that what you really think? Do you think because you lied I will throw you out and give you away? That will never happen Harry, no matter what you do or how many lies you tell me. I will love you no matter what."

Harry curled into Severus and cried even harder. It was all Don could do to keep the boy at a safe breathing level while he cried his heart out.

Even more concerned now that he knew just what Harry had been think Severus closed his eyes and rested his chin on top of Harry's head. "Come on Harry, calm down now. I'm not mad at you, not at all."

Slowly Harry's crying slowed as he slumped down, exhausted, in Severus's warm inviting arms. When the tears had stopped, Severus conjured a warm washcloth and started to wipe away the dried tears. Severus set down the washcloth and looked at Harry seriously. "It looks as if we need to talk Harry."

Harry gave a small shudder and clutched to Severus. With a small sigh Severus continued, hoping to try to clear some of the waters. "I know you lied to me Harry, but I am not mad at you. I understand why you lied, and I am disappointed that you didn't trust me enough to tell me what was going on, but I am not mad at you."

Harry looked down his face flushed. "A...are you going to punish me?"

Looking down at Harry Severus gave the boy a small smile. He honestly had given no thought of punishing Harry for his small lie. He was just glad that Harry was back to him safe and sound.

"Well, Harry what do you think?"

Harry looked down and fiddled with the ends of his shirt. "I...I feel really guilty...I...I don't know..."

Severus nodded and looked at Harry seriously. "Well, I think ten minutes in the corner will do. What do you think?"

As much as Severus wished he didn't have to do this to his child, he knew Harry had to do something to try to repent for his lie. Otherwise, he knew the guilt would start to eat the boy from the inside out and he didn't want that to happen.

Harry gave a small nod and looked down. "I'm really sorry sir."

"It's ok child. Now are you hungry?"

The boy gave a small nod looking even more guilty than before. His stomach was reminding him of the other lies he had told today. His tummy hurt because he was so hungry.

"Harry?"

Harry closed his eyes tightly and put his head down to his chest. He was so ashamed of himself. His daddy said that he wouldn't throw him out for that one lie...but he had lied again...twice...

Gently Severus rested a hand on the back of Harry's head and ran his long fingers through the soft hair. "Ok son, we'll get you something to eat and then you'll spend fifteen minutes in the corner. Five more minutes for lying again."

Harry looked up at Severus. "How...how do you know what I'm...thinking?"

Severus smiled at Harry while Don got up to get some food for the boy.

"You were thinking very loudly Harry. So loudly that we could hear you."

Harry blushed and leaned into Severus. Hesitantly he reached up, and with both hands the small boy wrapped his arms around Severus's neck resting his head on the man's shoulder.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry for being so bad."

Wrapping his arms around Harry Severus made sure the blanket was wrapped securely around Harry. "You are not bad Harry; you could never be bad. You are my wonderful little boy and that will never change."

Just then Don came back in the room with a tray of food for the small boy. Carefully he came over to the two and sat down in the chair he had pulled up to sit in front of the two. Setting the tray down on his lap he placed a gentle hand on Harry's back.

"Harry, I have some soup here for you and some yogurt."

Slowly Harry unwrapped his arms from around Severus's neck and sunk back down so that he was sitting in the man's lap again. He turned to look at the Healer and shyly looked down to his tummy.

Picking up the yogurt and a spoon Don reached out and handed it to Harry. "Eat up Harry."

Harry took the offered yogurt and opened the top. Hesitantly at first, but as soon as that wonderful raspberry flavor hit his tongue Harry began to eat with a vengeance.

Gently Severus rested a hand on the boy's hand. "Slow down Harry, you're going to make yourself sick."

Harry blushed, embarrassed that he had fallen back into old habits.

"It's ok Harry. There is no need to be embarrassed. You haven't eaten anything in a long while, and it's hard not to eat fast when you are hungry."

Harry nodded and dipped his spoon back in the yogurt as soon as Severus removed his hand.

Many bites later Harry had finished all of his yogurt and half a bowl of chicken noodle soup. When the last of the dishes were put away Don came back over and looked Harry in the eyes.

"How are you feeling Harry? Does your tummy hurt?"

Harry shook his head and looked down clearly still feeling guilty for lying earlier.

With a sigh Severus saw the guilt and decided that it would be best to get this over with as soon as possible. Maybe then the boy would stop feeling as if he had done something terrible. As Severus had told Harry, he was not angry with the boy for his little fib. He understood that Harry was scared that night and as much as Severus loath to admit it Harry didn't fully trust him. Actions always spoke louder than words.

"Come Harry. Why don't you spend those fifteen minutes in the corner and then we'll talk."

With his head bowed Harry gave a small nod. Severus shot a concerned look at Don who only nodded and waved his hand to the corner. The Healer knew as well that Harry would not feel better until he felt as if he had paid for his deeds. Also, it would not be good for Severus to not follow through with what he had declared earlier; it would just confuse the poor boy.

Helping Harry stand up on his feet Severus took the blanket from around his shoulder and with a gentle hand on his back led him to the corner. When they reached their destination Severus summoned a robe he had packed for the child in his bags and gently draped it over Harry's shoulders so that he would not get cold and his bottom would not be viewable to the world.

With his nose in the corner Severus rested a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder. "Ok Harry, I want you to think why you are standing here. I want you to know you can trust me and Don; you can tell us anything. When you lie to us, it makes it hard for us to help you. We don't know whether you are telling the truth or not and so then we don't know what to do. We would like it if you would trust us, but we want to trust you as well."

As Harry's shoulders began to hitch Severus gave the boy's shoulder a gentle squeeze. "I understand why you did not tell anyone though. I know the fear and shame you felt. What happened to you was not your fault. Please promise me you understand that."

Breath hitched Harry gave a small nod and a small part of his heart was beginning to believe that it was true. A very tiny part, but it was a start to a very long road to recovery.

Again, Severus gave the boy's shoulder a gentle squeeze as he moved away. "Very good Harry. I want you to stand there and think about everything I just said, alright? Remember I am not mad at you."

Harry gave a small nod as he struggled to gain his composure. He knew all his daddy was telling him was true, but it was hard to hear. It was hard to hear his daddy scolding him. It made him feel ashamed and squirmy inside. He supposed that was how he was supposed to feel standing in the corner, but he didn't like it one bit.

Moving away from Harry, Severus sat back in the rocking chair and looked at Don. Approvingly, Don smiled and nodded back. It was hard being a parent especially when it came to punishments. That old saying, this hurts me worse than it does you? It was true.

Don reached over to place a hand on Severus's shoulder. Quietly he whispered, "You're doing the right thing Severus. He would have continued to punish himself if you had not."

Severus nodded and Don removed his hand with a small reassuring squeeze. For the next fifteen minutes, Harry stood in the corner in sniffles and the two adults sat there watching the small boy.

It took everything in Severus to not rush over and scoop Harry up into his arms as tears started to leak from the boy's eyes. And Severus would never admit it, but he would have if it weren't for the Healer's hand on his shoulder stopping him from getting up.

When the fifteen minutes were up Don removed his hand and gestured for the man to go to his son and Severus did. With a forced calmness Severus got up and walked over to Harry placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. As soon as he did so he found his arms full of a small sobbing boy.

Severus hugged the boy fiercely to his chest. "It's all over now Harry. Everything is forgiven and forgotten, and I don't want you to dwell anymore on those lies you told. Just try not to do it again."

Harry nodded against Severus's chest and buried his head deep in his robes. Taking in the comforting smell of cinnamon and spices that he loved so much.

After a few more moments, Harry calmed down and Severus pulled back. "Come Harry, I believe we have some things to discuss."

Harry gave a small nod and looked up at his daddy curiously as he led him back to the rocking chair. When they reached their destination Severus sat down and set Harry back on his lap he then reached over and scooped the fuzz ball up and placed it in Harry's lap.

"Now Harry, while having a pet is a wonderful experience you also have to learn how to take care of her. She doesn't have to be walked like a dog, but you will have to clean her litter box every few days. You will also have to make sure she is fed and has water all the time. Do you think you can manage that? It's a big responsibility."

Petting his new kitty Harry gave a small nod. "I think I can, but what if I forget?"

Severus smiled. "At first I will remind you, but I am sure after a while it will become routine."

"Ok. Are we going back to school soon?"

Harry's new father looked at Don who nodded at back at him as if to go on and explain. Heaving a sigh Severus said, "Albus thought that it would be good for us to spend some time at home after we sign the adoption papers."

Curiously he looked up at Severus with his hand still stroking the purring fuzz ball. "When will we be going back then? The end of the week?"

Severus shook his head. "We thought that it would be best to take the rest of the term off. Pam will be coming by so that you are all caught up, but with everything we thought that it might be best for you to learn in a more relaxed environment."

Looking down at his kitten Harry gave a small nod. "The adoption papers? When are we going to sign those?"

With a smile Severus reached into his pocket and pulled out the two forms. "Right now if you want."

Harry's head shot up as he nodded. A part of his brain was asking him who would ever want a dirty freak like him, but a bigger and more dominant part of his brain was excited to finally have someone he could really call family. So the doubt was pushed away, for now, while Harry grabbed the quill and signed the papers readily.

As soon as Harry's signature was on the papers, Severus took the offered quill from the boy and wrote his own signatures. When they were both finished the papers floated up out of both their grasp and disappeared to the Ministry.

Wrapping his arms around the small boy in his lap Severus kissed the boy on top of his head. "Welcome to the family Harry."

Harry relaxed back into Severus's arms and sighed contently. He finally had a home; he just hoped he didn't do anything to mess it up.

A few hours found Harry taking a small nap in his bed after a good lunch. The poor thing still was having trouble not eating too fast. It was hard when old habit you had thought you had gotten rid of came back full force.

Before lunch the three had discussed going back to Dumbledore manor in more detail, for instance what the rules were for the new home and what rooms were off limits for Harry. The rules were pretty much the same ones Severus had set up for Harry at school except for a few more details concerning broom usages and that he must be inside before dark no matter what. The only rooms off limits for Harry when he didn't have supervision were the potions lab, for obvious reasons, and Albus's and Severus's bedrooms so that they could have some privacy. It wasn't that much, but they were things that Severus wanted him to know.

Harry had agreed to all the rules, but asked the one thing that concerned him the most. Would he be able to go to Severus's bedroom when he was scared or had a nightmare? Severus had just smiled at him and nodded reassuring him that he would always be welcome if he were scared and the rules were only in place if he or Albus were not in said room.

Severus shook those thoughts from his mind while he sat by Harry's bedside stroking back the boy's hair. Then with a sigh he turned from his child and got off the bed so that he could speak with Don. He had already spent over an hour just watching Harry sleep.

Walking over to where the other sat Severus sat down in a chair nearby casting a silencing spell around him as he did. He didn't want to wake Harry just yet.

"When do you think Harry can come home?"

Don smiled at the man sitting across from him. "Mentally, he seems fine besides the obvious trauma. I just want to ask him whether he remembers being hit with the Cruciatus curse just to make sure his memory was not affected. It would also be good for him to talk about it so that he understands that that spell will never be cast on him again."

Severus gave a small nod. "Can he go home after that? I want to get him settled as soon as possible."

With a smile Don nodded. "Yes, you can take him home then."

Severus's gaze swung back to Harry laying on the bed and nodded satisfied with Don's answer. Sighing he got out of his chair and moved back to sit on the edge Harry's bed. Gently Severus reached out and began to stroke Harry's hair back. The poor boy flinched back violently making Severus close his eyes for a moment, but still kept soothing back Harry's hair.

"Time to wake up Harry."

He didn't want Harry to sleep too long this afternoon, or else he would not sleep well tonight.

Harry stirred a bit, but turned over in the bed making the small fluff ball get up and stretch. Looking up at Severus with its bright green eyes the kitten let out a small mew and started to walk up to Harry's face. Sitting down in front of the boy's face Arwen leant over and started to lick Harry's cheek.

Smiling Severus removed his hand and let the small kitten wake the boy her way. It was adorable to say the least.

Watching the small kitten lick the boy Severus was amused to see Harry bring up a small hand to pet the kitten while opening his eyes. "Alright, alright Arwen. I'm awake."

The kitten sat back on its back feet and mewed happily. Smiling Harry picked the small fuzz ball up and rolled back over onto his back. Looking over at Severus he smiled.

"Hi daddy."

Severus smiled back at him. "I think I'm beginning to like this kitten. Every time you don't want to get up, I can just sic her on you!"

Harry smiled at the man as he looked down at the kitten who was now kneading on his chest and stuck out his tongue.

Severus laughed as Don came up and rested a gentle hand on his shoulder. Looking over at the other man, Severus saw mirth in his eyes and a smile on his face.

"You are one mean man Severus. Letting that poor cat do all your work for you."

They all shared a smile as Harry sat up in bed letting the kitten settle in his lap. Pulling up a chair Don sat facing the bed and the small boy.

"Are you ready to go home Harry?"

The boy nodded, but looked down as the kitten nipped at Harry's fingers. The Healer looked down at the kitten who was giving the boy a sort of scolding look while it held on tight with its tiny teeth.

Harry looked up at the Healer and shrugged. "I guess I have a few more questions."

The kitten let go of Harry's finger and started to lick the tiny puncture marks she had made on his finger. Apparently, she already bonded with the boy and could sense everything he was feeling, like a little lie detector.

Don nodded at Harry. "Go right ahead Harry."

Harry nodded and let the kitten lick his wound as he pet her with his other hand. "Will I be able to see my friends?"

Severus nodded. "I think we can make some arrangements. Your friends could come over a few times, or we can take some trips to Hogwarts to see them. Is that what is troubling you?"

Harry started to nod, but a growl started to come from his lap stopping him. Sighing Harry shook his head. "No...it's just...that...will I have to see my cousins again? I...I know that you said I didn't, but...but will the Ministry make me?"

Gently Severus reached out and started to rub soothing circles on the boy's back. "Those papers we signed this morning made it so that the Ministry no longer has control over you. So if you don't want to see them, then you don't have to. I can understand that you don't want to see them right now, but someday you might want to meet them. You know they helped finalize the adoption for us; they only wish the best for you."

Harry looked up at Severus. "They did?"

Severus gave a small nod. "They did."

Harry looked back down at the kitten who was purring contently now that she had gotten her master to actually say what he was feeling. She didn't like it when people hid things from those who cared and if she could do anything about it her new master would stop hiding. Especially when it was obvious all these two wanted to do was help him.

"Is that all Harry? Did you want to ask anything else?"

Harry shook his head while the kitten began to climb up the boy's legs then jumped up to rest on his shoulder wrapping herself around his neck.

Don nodded and gently patted Harry on the arm. "Ok then Harry, would you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Harry looked up at the Healer as he nodded curiously.

Sighing Don looked the boy in the eyes. "Last night, do you remember being hit with a curse?"

Harry looked down, but reached up to pet the purring kitten on his shoulder as he nodded.

Gently Severus rested a hand on Harry's back as Don continued.

"Can you tell us about it Harry?"

The boy took a deep breath in and then let it out slowly. Arwen felt the distress her owner was feeling and started to caress the side of his neck to try to comfort him. Smiling Harry reached up and pet the kitten's head.

"Thank you Arwen."

Harry took a deep breath and then nodded slowly. "I...I was in the corner...he had just finished...be...beating me...he...he...pulled out his wand...and..."

Harry took another breath, suddenly it was becoming harder for him to breathe. Again, the boy took another breath, and then another, but he just couldn't seem to catch them.

Coming closer Don sat on the edge of the bed while Severus moved back onto a chair. It was obvious Harry was more in need of the Healer's help at the moment. Slowly Don placed a hand on Harry's chest and did not move it as the boy flinched back.

"Breathe deeply for me Harry. You're safe with people who love you."

To try to make it easier for Harry to breathe Don sent the boy some calming magic. At first, the boy started to fight the magic lost in his panic at remembering what had happened, but after a few moments Harry started to accept it.

"That's it Harry. Nice and calm."

While Harry was calming down the small kitten jumped down from his shoulder and snuggled up close in the boy's lap.

Closing his eyes for a few moments Harry fully calmed down by taking a few more deep breath. "I'm...I'm sorry."

Don removed his hand from the boy's chest as he stopped the calming magic. "It's ok Harry. There is no need to be sorry. You have been through so much, and it's normal to feel frightened sometimes when you think of the past."

Harry looked down at the small kitten while he nodded. "Can...can I tell you the rest?"

"Yes Harry, whenever you are ready."

Harry took a few more deep breaths. "He...he took out his wand and...and he cast something...something that sounded like...Crucio?"

Severus flinched at the mention of that hated spell, it made him remember of all the times he had been under it. How his whole body had ached all over. It felt as if he were being thrown into a hot fire at the same time. Again, the man shuddered.

Don caught the shudder out of the corner of his eye, but for the moment decided not to comment on it. Harry at the moment needed him more.

Not noticing the small interaction between the two men in the room Harry looked up at Don with a hint of confusion. "What...what was that...I...it felt as if someone had thrown my entire body in hot water...and...it...hurt...so...much..."

Harry looked down at his kitten and tried to hide his tears, but the little scamp in his lap stood up on her back feet and reached up with her head to butt the boy's face gently bringing the tears to Severus's attention.

Severus looked at Don who nodded and moved out of his way. As he did so Severus stood back up and moved to sit back on the edge of Harry's bed, but instead of just sitting he gently drew the boy over to his side and hugged him close to his body.

"It's all over now Harry. I have you now, and I promise you, you will never go through anything like that again."

Harry nodded against Severus's side and held the kitten gently to his chest who was purring.

"He...he cast that spell...two more times...it...really hurt..."

Severus sighed and drew the boy so that he was now sitting on his lap. "I know child, I know. That man will no longer hurt you."

Harry gave a small nod. "What…what was that spell?"

While holding Harry close Severus decided that it was probably best for Harry to know the truth. Lying to him would do no good. "It's what's called the Cruciatus Curse, and it's one of the three Unforgivables. It's meant to cause unbearable pain and if it is ever cast then the caster is put in Azkaban."

Harry looked up at Severus. "Is…is that where that man is?"

Severus looked at Don to see whether he should continue, but the Healer just nodded solemnly. He had started, and now he had to finish. Sighing Severus looked down at his innocent boy. "No, he had another punishment. You see while it is against the law to cast that spell on a normal person it is considered a worse deed casting it on a child. He was sentenced to be Kissed by the Dementors."

"Kissed?"

Sighing Severus nodded. "Do you know what a Dementor is, Harry?"

The boy shook his head so Severus tried the best he could to explain what had happened to the man who had hurt him so much.

By the end of his explanation Harry was looking down at the small kitten in his lap. "So they killed him for what he did to me?"

"Harry, look at me."

The boy looked up at Severus. "Don't you dare start to blame yourself for what happened to him. That man had done many other deeds that landed him in that position and what he did to you was unforgivable. You are just a child and you could not defend yourself."

Harry nodded, but it was obvious that he was having trouble believing Severus so the man did the only thing he could think of.

"I know adults have let you down many times in the past, and we have as well, but I promise you that now that you are legally my son no one can ever hurt you again. You are mine, and I will do everything in my power to protect you."

Harry nodded as a few more tears fell from his eyes. He knew his daddy would protect him now, but it was hard to really accept that in his heart. He had been hurt so many times in the past, and his heart was finally softening when he had been hurt all over again.

Severus and Harry sat like that for a few more moments with the man just holding Harry and the boy petting his kitten, before Severus pulled back and wiped away the remaining tears from Harry's face. "Are you ready to go home Harry?

Harry nodded slowly as his kitten meowed in agreement. Smiling Severus reached down and patted the kitten.

"I believe you have yourself a handful here. She's not going to let you get away with anything."

Harry blushed and nodded remembering how she had bitten his finger and he had heard that soft scolding voice in his head telling him he better tell exactly how he was feeling of else she would bite his other finger. He had been too preoccupied keeping his finger from harm's way before but now he was curious how he had heard her in his head. Or at least that's what he thought he had heard.

Looking up at his daddy Harry gave him a curious glance. "Is it normal to be able to hear her talk in my head?"

For a moment the room was silent while the two adults took in this new bit of information. It was rare for a familiar to bond so closely to a human in such a short amount of time, but it was also a sign that the wizard who had bonded had a pure, untainted soul. Which was amazing to say the least that Harry was still so innocent after everything that had happened, really it was a miracle.

Unfortunately, the two had taken too long to answer the small boy who was now looking down and worrying his lip between his teeth clearly worried that he was not normal.

"Reaching down again to pet the kitten Severus made his move to soothe the boy. " It is not common for someone to bond so quickly, but that is not a bad thing, not at all. Actually, it is a sign of a great wizard."

Harry looked up at Severus. "But...but I don't want to be a great wizard...I'm just Harry...just Harry..."

Severus hugged the boy close to him. "I know you are, and being a great wizard is not a bad thing. Look at the Headmaster, he is a wonderful wizard and a wonderful person."

Harry shook his head. "I...I don't want the attention...can't I be just Harry?"

Heaving a sigh, Severus ruefully decided that maybe now was not the time for this conversation. He wanted to get Harry settled and have a nice dinner at home before it got dark. "Ok then, you can just be Harry. We'll talk more about this later though, alright?"

Harry just nodded as the small cat purred in his lap and started to kneed with her tiny paws.

Severus kissed the top of Harry's head and set him down on the side of the bed. "Why don't you go get dressed and cleaned up in the bathroom and then we will go home. How does that sound?"

Harry nodded his head as he hopped off the bed and went over to his small bag he saw across the room. Grabbing out a few clothes Harry headed to the bathroom with the small black fuzz ball followed at his heals obviously set to the task of watching out for her master.

Severus smiled at the sight and shook his head letting out a small laugh. "I wonder if Albus knew just what kind of pet he had chosen for Harry."

Don smiled as well. "I am sure he did, the sly old coot. She will be good for him though. He certainly won't be able to hide anything from us if she has anything to say about it. Did you see how she bit his finger?"

Severus nodded. "I did, and I don't think even I am able to produce that kind of glare. I didn't even think cats were able to glare!"

Don shook his head amused, but then sobered up as he realized that Harry would be coming out soon. Harry was remarkably quick when it came to getting cleaned up and dressed.

Sending a significant look at Severus who immediately lost his smile. Don heaved a small sigh before he started.

"It will take time for him to heal from this Severus. The flinching will go away, but the fear will be there for a while. I am guessing his nightmares will be back with a vengeance as well. I'm going to ask you not to clear his mind for him for a little while. I hate to see him suffer, but you know how important it is that he talks with someone and with Harry those dreams are a good ice breaker. It lets us in without him realizing it and every time he tells us one of those memories he feels better. It's one less thing on his chest"

Severus sighed. "If you think it is for the best. Is there anything I should look out for?"

Don nodded. "Well, he seems fine right now considering everything, but the next few days will be challenging He might regress, test his boundaries, or just seek attention. The most you can do is keep an eye out for him and make sure he is coping."

Again Severus nodded, but then got off the bed and began to pack Harry's things as he asked his next question. "The Cruciatus curse, did if affect him?"

The Healer sighed as he got up from his chair. Slowly he made his way over to Severus to place a gentle hand on the man's shoulder. "I don't think so, but if he starts to forget things or has trouble recalling events, contact me immediately."

"Alright." Severus placed the last item in Harry's back and then walked over to the bed where the two stuffed toy's lay. Gently he picked them up and placed them in the bag with the two heads sticking out.

Just then a freshly washed boy popped out of the bathroom with an extremely poofy kitten behind him. Apparently, the steam did not agree with her fur. Hiding his smile Severus beckoned Harry over to him and placed a gentle arm around his shoulder ignoring the flinch.

"Are you ok leaving by Floo?"

Harry gave a small nod and Severus picked up his bags. "Alright then, pick up Arwen and let's go."

Harry did as his daddy instructed and then followed him out of the room and to the Floo that was in the lobby on that they reached the fireplace Harry turned around to see the Healer smiling at him.

"I'll see you later Harry and Pam will be over tomorrow to work on some schoolwork with you."

Harry nodded and surprised both the kitten and Don by reaching forward and hugging the man. Disgruntled by the sudden pressure the kitten mewed so Harry let go of the Don.

"Thank you for everything sir."

Don reached out and patted Harry on the shoulder. "Anytime you need me Harry. Now take care of that kitten and Severus for me."

Again, Harry nodded and then turned to see Severus throw some green powder in the fireplace and yell out Dumbledore Manor. With one, last goodbye both Severus and Harry jumped into the flames and the next thing Harry knew he was in the most wonderful place he had ever seen.
The End.
End Notes:
I have a quick question for anyone who would like to answer me! :)

I'm writing a prequel for this story, but I'm not sure if I can post it here or not. The main characters are Albus and Severus and only have Harry sleeping in the beginning and end.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2735