Unmagical by watercrystals
Summary: When Argus Filch first met Harry, he sympathised with the young wizard who showed all signs of having no remarkable magic at all. In fact, the squib could relate to the boy and therefore decided to help him. Together, the two unmagical pair work at Hogwarts where the young orphaned boy will become intrigued by a certain Potions Professor who works there.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Filch, Hagrid, Original Character, Percy, Pomfrey
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 12052 Read: 5728 Published: 17 Feb 2012 Updated: 21 Aug 2013
Story Notes:

A Wizard Without Magic by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Argus Filch is one of my favourite characters, therefore I am so pleased to finally have a story where I can really write him. I pictured Harry mopping floors during a day of 1st year classes and spotting Snape, being intrigued by him - and this fic was born. I figured, if Snape can see cruel yet underneath have a more emotional side than we know, why can't Filch also not be he appears?
I am still working out my own style of writing Filch, so this is a learning process. Any feedback you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. This story will likely start out as an AU Harry/Snape mentor fic, which may evolve into more than just that as the story goes along.

The students and staff at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry would say that Argus Filch, the squib caretaker, was a terribly unpleasant man who delighted in giving punishments.

Such behaviour and unkindness in the man was only rivalled by what people thought of Professor Snape, the mean and sour Potions Master. Many witches and wizards, young and old, would say that those two were hardly much different from the other...except one does magic and the other cannot. That is not entirely true.

Professor Snape may be unreasonable, always in a bad mood, and despises all Gryffindors, yet he favoured his Slytherin students and assisted the injured or homesick when the need arose. Filch, however...showed no such mercy.He prowled the castle corridors in hope of catching a trouble-maker so they could be punished by himself or another. He didn't care if they were Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or even Slytherin. A brat was a brat. He growled and shouted, he insulted and threatened...yet Filch was no darker than Severus and no less kind. Filch simply had less in life to hold onto than Severus did. Filch never had a red-haired friend who he grew fond of, he never learned about keeping promises or duties stemmed from the desire of redemption. He only knew rejection, sneers and indifference.

Because he was different.

Born to magical parents and working in a castle where Professors taught enchanting spells and bewitching potions...yet Argus himself could use none of it.

He tried not to think about it and over the years he'd adapted to ignoring the fact. He had his loyal cat, Mrs Norris, and a home as well as a job, so in that sense Filch was comfortable with his life and situation. It was the trouble-makers he despised. Actually, more so than them...he hated that horrid poltergeist Peeves. Students he could yell at and take to a professor.

Peeves however...Filch had no control over him.

And that horribly annoying being was the reason why, during a fine sunny morning on the day after the end of the school term, Argus Flich marched through the corridors of Hogwarts in a befouled mood. Reaching the Gargoyles that led to Headmaster Dumbledore's office, he halted as the great wizard himself approached with Professor McGonagall at his side.

'Are you sure, Albus?' Minerva was stressing as she followed Dumbledore towards the gargoyles that led to his office.

'I'm afraid so, Minerva.' Dumbledore's tone was sad and confused, therefore Filch remained quiet as he waited to be noticed. Mrs Norris sat beside him on the stone floor where he stood.

'What are you going to do?' Minerva continued to converse as they paused in the corridor, just feet from the stone Gargoyles and where Filch stood patiently.

'He has a family.' Dumbledore said while Filch observed the stronge disapproval in the frown upon the witch's face at those words. 'Without his magic, the boy will likely be properly accepted by them. He can live a normal muggle life.' Dumbledore sighed.

'But he isn't a muggle! His parents, Lily and James Potter...they were a witch and wizard.' Minerva protested with a calm volume of tone and respectful expression. 'Is there any chance...of it coming back?'

'Very little.' Dumbledore lowered his gaze as it trailed over towards their additional company. 'Ah, is there something I can assist you with, Argus?' He asked.

'Yes, Headmaster.' Filch nodded. 'I would like to discuss the matter of Peeves. He has destroyed half of the Trophy Room.' He snarled at the thought, wishing he could simply wave a wand and be done with the task of restoration.

He about the child the Professors were talking about, because Filch knew who it was simply from hearing that Lily and James where the parents. They'd had one son, who wasn't any more famous than most magical children his age, however Filch remembered him because he knew the boy's father, James. The spiteful trouble-maker and his buddy Sirius Black had given him so much grief during their time at Hogwarts that Filch doubted a memory-erasing spell would have much effect on their imprint in his mind.

However, he had nothing against Lily Evans. She had been Severus Snape's friend and given Filch little reason to dislike her. He wondered which parent the boy took after or if he was born as a blend of both.

And then he remembered the conversation itself. The child had no magic? Perhaps a result of the Death Eater's attack on the boy's home that had resulted in the death of his parents? Too bad Dumbledore hadn't taken care of the Dark Lord sooner. At least Voldemort hadn't gone to the Potter's house himself, otherwise that boy probably wouldn't even be alive, Filch thought to himself as he waited for an answer from Dumbledore in regards to Peeves.

'Of course, Argus.' Dumbledore nodded. 'However there is a matter of greatest importance that I need to attend to first. Arabella Figg expects me.'

'Arabella?' Filch recognised the name. 'I was intending to visit her myself this week, Headmaster.' He said, since she promised a new supply of cat food she thinks Mrs Norris would like.

Because of such, he conversed with the woman a few times a year , though only when he had to and about cat matters. She really was quite informed with it all and he liked to take advantage of that knowledge. The last product she recommended, Mrs Norris had loved and purred all week because of it.

'Ah, I see.' Dumbledore smiled. 'Then this is most opportune! Do come along, Argus...unless you have other matters to attend to?'

Filch knew the Headmaster was giving him the choice as he despised magical travel, yet he'd be able to pick up the product from Arabella much faster this way and have the task over with if he went with Dumbledore now. Nodding, he followed the wizard to his office and glared at the fireplace. Looking towards the powder being offered to him by Dumbledore, Filch wondered if he should have disagreed to this rather than followed along so willingly for a sake of convenience.

'After you, Argus.' Dumbledore said as the caretaker stepped towards the fireplace with hesitation.

Sighing, he ducked his head and stood inside, gripping the powder with shaking hands. Despite this rare moments when he could almost fool himself to think that he was just a wizard using the floo network, Argus Filch also despised them. Magical travel was by far his least favourite aspect of all and he was always afraid that, without magical abilities of his own, it would go terribly wrong.


Privet Drive would appear to offer a perfect lifestyle or comfortable ideals to most who passed through it.The lawns were healthy and nicely trimmed, the houses in outstanding condition and each was a home to a family who were clearly doing quite well with themselves. Of course, that's just what you would see at first glance. Still, the entire street was calm during the mornings and filled with laughing children or conversing neighbours in the afternoons.

No one seemed to mind living there...except for one boy who often seemed than his ten years of age.

Harry Potter lived in Privet Drive with his muggle relatives who had shown him little kindness over his years of growing from an orphaned toddler to a neglected boy. He spent most of his time doing chores for them or being locked away in the cupboard under the stairs.

But not today.

His relatives had gone on a trip somewhere wonderful and therefore he was staying with a cat-loving lady named Arabella Figg. He couldn't say he enjoyed being at her house that smelled of cabbage and consisted of too many cats, yet Harry always liked it better than the place he was supposed to consider as “home”. He was sitting in her living room, curled up on her couch with teary eyes, though his state of emotional upset had nothing to do with his relatives enjoying a holiday without him or being stuck with the cat-loving company that he was of that duration.

Harry Potter always thought he was different, because when he'd been much younger he did things his relatives called “freaky”.

A strange man had visited him today, when he had been looking through cat albums with Mrs Figg. The man said how harry's parents had been like that too. He mentioned Harry should be as well. The man in silly clothes waved a stick and suddenly he wasn't smiling at Harry or chatting about weird things like owls that delivered letters and brooms that flew. He stared at Harry for a long time and then sighed. He wore an expression that a doctor would when he had to deliver bad news. And he did do exactly that.

The man Harry had met when he'd come to stay with Mrs Figg, who had told him that “freaky” things were really “magical” things...said that Harry had lost it, that he wasn't like that at all.

-- 

The fireplace turned green and two other men stepped out, also in strange clothes, yet Harry ignored them and continued his sniffling. He was given a chance, a shred of hope when the man had mentioned a magical castle where he would learn magic in a few months. That was gone now. He had no magic, he had no chance to go to a magical school, and he was freaky even to the freaks.

'I don't know, Albus.' The man was talking to the newcomer who had a long beard and was really tall, with a funny hat on his head.

The third man was talking to Mrs Figg and seemed to be grumpy about something yet almost a little sick. Harry wondered if he would feel ill after being spat out of a fireplace. But that was a magical freak thing to do, and something he'd never do because he wasn't like that now.

'He had bouts of accidental magic when he was younger. Then when he turned six...it stopped.' The man with the stick was saying. 'I tried every spell. It's just...gone. I think he's a semi-squib.'

'Oh, dear.' Mrs Figg said from nearby. 'But how could it be?'

Harry sniffled again and curled further into himself, still concealed by the couch in which had its back to the adults. They may know he was there but they could not see him. Yet, a shadow cast over him and Harry held back a yelp when a scary man came into view; the grumpy one he'd thought was ill.

'Harry Potter?' Filch grunted as he stared down at the boy.

The child looked distraught and lost as he curled up on the couch, no doubt trying to protect himself even when it was useless.

The boy nodded and stared wide-eyed at him with emerald eyes that watched him from behind those Potter-like glasses. His hair was black and a mess, yet Filch didn't take note of those facts as he felt his irritation ebb away. He had the cat food clutched in his hand and wanted to leave, but knew Filch had to wait for Dumbledore before they would face the magical transportation of the fireplace again.

'They told me I should do magic.' Harry revealed in a whisper, though he had no idea why he was telling this man that. 'But I can't anymore. I don't have any magic left. It's gone.' He sniffed. 'I'll never see the big castle, or owls sending letters, or wear one of those silly hats to show that I can do magic too.' Tears filled his eyes as he rambled, unaware of the hushed silence of the room.

Argus Filch felt possessed, as though something had gripped him and that was what compelled him to crouch before the shaking, tearful child. He hated most children, really he did, but this one in particular reminded him of a witch with emerald eyes and red hair who was not a trouble-maker, much.

And then, he saw himself with his parents standing over him, telling him he should do magic yet couldn't.

'We're not so different.' Filch said to Harry.

'But you can do magic!' Harry sat up and wiped his eyes, looking rather furious now. 'You came out of the green fire!'

'With...assistance.' Filch grunted. 'Is he really a semi-squib, Headmaster?' He looked over at Dumbledore and wondered why the aging wizard had a twinkle in his eye as Dumbledore nodded in reply.

'What's that?' Harry croaked, his emotions making him feel worse the more he released himself from his curled position.

Filch couldn't say it, so the man with the stick stepped around the couch to do so for him.

'A muggle is a non-magical person.' The man said. 'A witch or wizard is a magical person, like your parents were. A muggelborn is a witch or wizard born from muggles yet who are magical. A squib is the opposite; their parents are purely magical yet they have no magic at all.'

'Like me.' Mrs Figg sighed.

'A semi-squib...' The man paused. 'Well, they're still quite a mystery. They have magical parents, though those parents are rarely pure themselves, yet the child seems magical at first and performs accidental magic when they're young. Then, suddenly, for no apparent reason...they can't do magic again. It's locked away and they can't use it at all. They're basically squibs, yet they have the magic somewhere, so we refer to them as semi-squibs instead.'

'Is there a way to bring the magic back?' Mrs Figg asked while Filch continued to stare at Harry.

'For hundreds of years this matter has been studied by the brightest of our world, yet no...so far no attempts have been successful.' Dumbledore sighed. 'They're essentially witches and wizards without magic.'

'Which is very contradicting.' The other man shook his head. 'Yet, it's so uncommon that it's all we can say about it. You can still get a wand and have a familiar, yet you can't brew potions or use spells. It just doesn't work. It's gone.'

Harry resolved entirely to tears, his mind filling with all the wonderful things he'd never see or do.

Filch could not remember ever feeling it before, except when he found Mrs Norris as a kitten abandoned in the rain, but his chest felt tight as it filled with pity.

'Is there nothing you can do, Headmaster?' Filch looked over at Dumbledore, who was already watching him with a calculating look. 'As you did for me?'

Argus Filch had been eight when he was told what Harry had just found out. He got his wand when he turned eleven and tried to convince others that he could use it. The first few sparks delighted him, yet it was no use. He had no apparent magic and therefore his wand was now sitting dusty in a drawer at his office. Yet, as a child he had worked odd ends in Knockturn Alley until on day Dumbledore said to him that if he ever needed anything, to owl him.

Though it took many more years, Filch finally took the offer seriously. Now, Hogwarts is his home and his duty. It was where he wasn't magical yet not muggle either. Filch could tell that the boy wanted to see magic more than use it, though that would likely change, yet perhaps he could be granted what Filch was?

At least the child wouldn't be lost and alone.

'Harry has relatives here.' Dumbledore said. 'There is no one else to care for him.'

Filch looked down at the boy, who stared at the floor with his fists clenched at the material of his over-large clothes. The caretaker remembered the look on McGonagall's face when the relatives had been mentioned and the child's current position mimicked the sight of a younger Severus when he had been asked about his own parents.

'They won't understand him, Headmaster.' Filch said. 'I'll watch the brat. I'll teach him hard work and earning his keep. At least he'll be with his own kind.'

During many minutes of silence, Dumbledore stared at Filch for a long time with a penetrating stare that Severus always warned Filch of, yet the man could hardly see the harm in it. And then, finally, the Headmaster spoke.

'That is a huge responsibility, Argus.' He said quietly. 'To raise a child you must provide them with love, comfort and all the necessities to live a full and vibrant life.'

'I know.' Filch growled.

'Harry.' Dumbledore turned to the wide-eyed orphan. 'Without magic, it would be best for you to stay here with your Aunt and Uncle to live a normal life. You deserve to live your life.'

'I hate it here.' Harry frowned. 'I want to go to Hogwarts.'

'To be surrounded by those learning magic you cannot use? To spend your days cleaning and walking around, unable to participate? No, it would be a far greater burden.' Dumbledore shook his head. 'Here is what is best for you.'

Harry looked at Filch and thought about what his two options were, before he got to his feet and looked over at Dumbledore with a fierce expression.

'You don't understand, sir. I know it'll be hard and unfair but I'm used to cleaning and, well...I think it would be so much better to at least see magic. I want to see the magical castle and watch the owls deliver the mail!' Harry insisted. 'To see it all won't be so bad. But to stay here, always dreaming of amazing things I'll never see...I think that would be much worse.'

Harry looked over at Filch and offered the mean-looking man a smile, having a feeling deep down that he wasn't bad, just grumpy and faced with a lot of unfair things.

'And I think he understands.' Harry pointed. 'He's like me. And I want to be with someone who's like me because then I'll know I'm not alone.'

'This is a big, life-changing decision!' The man with the stick protested. 'You can't leave it up to the child. It's hopeless...he'll never be happy at Hogwarts. He can't do magic. He's better off here, where he belongs.'

'That will do, Cornelius.' Dumbledore said with a frown. 'It is young Harry's life. He can always choose to go back to his relatives if he changes his mind. However, every boy with magical parents should see Hogwarts at least once. If Argus is preparing to be his guardian...'

Dumbledore glanced over at the caretaker with a shadow of a smile on his face.

'Yeah, yeah...I'll do it.' Filch nodded.

'Then it's settled.' Dumbledore smiled properly. 'Harry, I will escort you to your relatives house where we will wait for their return. We will explain the situation and make the additional arrangements. In that time, you can pack your belongings and be prepared to leave. If, at any point before departure, you change your mind...let me know. Once you walk out of that house, Harry, you can't come back for at least several months as it will take time to adapt to Hogwarts. Do you understand?'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded nervously but with eager determination. 'I'll do it. '


It was June, and the day after the students had vacated the school, yet Severus Snape had already been summoned by Albus Dumbledore.

Furious, yet accepting, Severus marched towards the Headmaster's office with a child's stomach-soothing draught, though he had no idea who it was for.

Growling the password and making his way to the office, he was surprised to see Filch standing nearby (though looking rather green). Not commenting, Severus turned to Dumbledore and held out the vial. He glanced at a nearby chair where a boy was sitting with his back to him; all Severus could see was the child's black hair.

'Ah, Severus!' Dumbledore nodded. 'Thank you. Here you go, Harry. This will help calm your stomach. Apparating for the first time isn't easy on anyone.'

Severus had intended to leave, yet halted and turned towards the boy who was slowly drinking the potion. As the boy's head turned towards him, Severus caught the tiny glimpse of green and instantly turned to march out of the office.

Harry stared towards the door where someone had just left but he hadn't glimpsed at who, not that he would likely recognise the person if he had. Confused, he glanced cautiously at Dumbledore and then over to where Filch was standing, yet the boy said nothing about their brief company.

Instead, Harry glanced at the empty vial in his hands, which was in the cause behind his increase ease aft that horrible incident of magical transportation. Having nothing to say at first and biting back the urge to look around the weird office, Harry returned to vial to the Headmaster and shifted in his seat anxiously.

'What now, sir?'

'I have a few finalisations to make with this arrangement.' Dumbledore said as he walked around his desk and sighed. 'Perhaps Argus could show you where you'll be staying and explain your new tasks? I shall be along shortly to add a few adjustments to the living area.'

The headmaster sat at his desk and wasn't entirely in agreement to have the child working, however there was little else for Harry to do all day and therefore, much like Hagrid had to after being spelled at age twelve, the boy may as well keep himself busy with assisting the staff.

He would have a word with Filch later about how much work the boy could actually do and the limitations of tasks.

'Come on.' Filch said and led the way out of the office.

Harry clutched his belongings, which were safe inside a bag Dumbledore had conjured for him earlier, and hurried after the caretaker. He halted in the corridor and his mouth fell open at the sight and realisation that he really was inside a huge, magical castle.

'Keep up, boy!' Filch called and Harry rushed closer before he'd gotten lost.

Trying not to lose himself in staring at the moving portraits, hovering ghosts and the incredible feeling of being able to live in such a place, Harry tried really hard to listen to what the man was telling him.

'...Expected to be up decently early to mop floors and keep the place tidy.' Filch was saying as they made their way to the Entrance Hall. 'And if you see anyone causing trouble in any way, you tell me.' He added.

'What counts as trouble, sir?' Harry increased the speed of his walking again to keep up, having paused to stare at the Grand Staircase in awe and shock, since they appeared to be moving and were never-ending in height.

'Rudeness, making a mess, disrespecting school property, using magic outside of class, bullying, disrupting peace, being in places they shouldn't...you'll pick up on it soon enough.' Filch grunted as he turned a corner and stood in front of a door, which caused Harry to almost walk into him.

'Sorry.' Harry blushed before he followed Filch into the office.

Looking around, he thought it was much better than his cupboard but not as appealing as he had been expecting. Stepping inside properly, Harry glanced at a lot of filing cabinets to his right – one that was labelled"Confiscated and Highly Dangerous", which he kept his distance from. Across from the door was a large old-fashioned heater. Near that was a desk and chair that seemed rather boring to Harry, though the chains and manacles hanging on the wall behind it caused a slight panic inside him as he glanced over to watch Filch more carefully.

A little across from the desk was a large armchair which was against the wall directly left of the doorway where Harry stood. Further left was a large, red curtain that concealed half of that end of the room. A door was on that left wall that presumably led to a bathroom. Approaching it, once Filch seemed to give approval, Harry peered inside and saw the toilet, sink and shower inside. From where he stood, he could see behind the curtain as well, which showed a large bed, with a set of drawers next to the curtain.

Harry wondered if he was going to get his own curtained area as well, though he couldn't see where it could go since most of the main spaces were taken. Sniffing, he always noticed that the place smelled a little of fried fish. And a spot near the heater had two bowls; one filled with water, the other some sort of animal food.

'Do you have a pet?' Harry asked as he clutched to his bag, still unsure of what to do and where he was supposed to put his stuff.

'Yes.' Filch nodded from where he had sat at his desk. 'And you will treat her with respect.' He warned.

If Mrs Norris and the boy did not get along well enough within a week, then regardless of anything...the brat had to leave.

'She'll be here soon. Her name is Mrs Norris.'

Harry nodded and thought it was an odd name, yet didn't comment as he felt it was none of his business to do so.

Shifting awkwardly on his feet, Harry let out a gush of relief when Dumbledore soon joined them with his wand in hand. The boy and man watched the Headmaster enviously as he performed magic to make two changes. First, the single armchair became a sofa large enough to seat two. Secondly, the wall between the bed and bathroom door was expanded and a blue curtain ran along the side of Filch's bed (acting as a wall) and all the way towards the bathroom door, pausing with several feet from the actual wall to allow entrance.

Once Dumbledore was finished, Harry rushed to the blue curtain and peered around it with anticipation. Behind it was a single bed and a small set of drawers that also acted as a bedside table, which was where Harry planned to put his glasses when he went to bed. The main room had an oil lamp for light, yet Harry was relieved to see that his room contained a smaller one as well, since his curtain made his space seem a lot like a room without a door.

It didn't offer a lot of privacy, but Harry still loved it...his own little space.

'Thank you.' Harry smiled tearfully at Dumbledore and then Filch. 'I love it.'

Dumbledore's smile didn't reach his eyes and was sad as he turned and left soon after. Filch failed to notice as he indicated to the door after Harry had placed his bag on his bed and returned to the main room.

'Wait for me outside.' Filch said. 'Then I'll give you a tour.'

'Okay!' Harry grinned at the idea of seeing more of the castle.

He hurried to the door and stepped into the corridor outside. He already remembered that around the far right corner was the Entrance Hall, which led to the Great Hall and Grand Staircase areas. He didn't think it was going to be too hard to learn his way around as long as he listened and took note of his surroundings.

Confident, Harry stepped further along the corridor and peaked into the Entrance Hall. There was a black figure who had just emerged into sight and with a gasp, Harry leaned back and hoped he hadn't been seen. Waiting anxiously, he calmed and slowly looked around again, seeing Dumbledore who had paused to talk with the black-clothed person who had black hair and dark eyes.

Harry thought he looked scary at first, but soon realised that the man might be the one who had brought the vial to him earlier.

'Ah!' Harry yelped when Filch startled him by reaching for his shoulder.

'Don't wander off.' Filch growled. 'If you get lost...'

'Sorry, sir.' Harry exhaled. 'I didn't mean to.' He added and indicated around the corner, in which Filch moved to look at what he was pointing to.

'Who is that talking to Headmaster Dumbledore?'

'That's Professor Snape.' Filch frowned. 'Stay out of his way. Now come on...we have a lot to do before dinner. I hope you're ready because the work has just begun.'

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to "bridgeportfox" for the tip on Filch. I'm not entirely sure what I think of this first chapter. This sort of story is new for me and I'm still exploring.
Please review and let me know what you thought, and if you think Filch is believeable. His actions are not so hard for me, but the speech is where I'm being challenged in terms of writing his character. There will be a lot more interaction between Harry and Snape once Filch has taught Harry how to do his tasks, and when the new school term begins.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2761