I Do Not Want This by KimSpiritTalks, TabbyBri
Summary: An accident leads to a discovery, a discovery that neither Harry Potter nor Professor Severus Snape can abide. Now they have to live in the same castle knowing what they know. Each of them has friends who think they should give their relationship a chance. Friends really should mind their own business. Note: The warnings seem ominous but this is not a dark story, quite the contrary. The instances that include the warned of moments will simply be briefly referred to and not minutely examined.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Bill, Charlie, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Filch, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Narcissa, Neville, Oliver Wood, Original Character, Percy, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sinistra, Sirius, Tobias Snape, Tonks, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Rape, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 29655 Read: 28609 Published: 02 Mar 2012 Updated: 05 Jan 2013
The Next Reaction by KimSpiritTalks
Author's Notes:
Hello, Friends, we haven't been doing well with updates, that's obvious, but life has now settled into a workable pattern, and one would hope that emotions fall into an even keel. If that holds true, our story will once again become a priority in our lives.

We remember back probably two years now, before the massive first twelve chapters re-write, that we had a most amusing mistake in the text. When you get to the part in this chapter in Madam Pomfrey is bustling about, please bring to mind a picture of Madam Pomfrey bustling about on the tray, rather than in front of it. Maybe that won't send the rest of the world into hysterics, but after we realized what we'd written it took the rest of the evening for our cheeks to stop aching from laughing so hard at the idea of a tiny Madam Pomfrey bustling about on the tray next to Harry's bed.

We hope you enjoy our re-write of chapter three. Stay tuned for chapter four.

Watching from the shadows, Snape sneered as a large, shaggy black dog bounded through the halls of Hogwarts at top speed. He was obviously a dog on a mission. It must be Sirius Black. The Headmaster had informed him that Black was an animagus, a black dog, and he'd be coming to see Potter. Just what he needed to top off this miserable day. Sirius Black. Now that he knew that Black was a dog animagus, so much about the past suddenly made more sense.

 

"A dog?" he'd sneered at the Headmaster. "And I suppose Potter and Pettigrew were animagi as well? Is that why they all disappeared each month at the full moon? Is that how they were able to be in the Shrieking Shack the night Potter set his werewolf on me?"

 

"Dear boy, let us leave the past where it belongs, long buried and, in this case, best forgotten."

"Perhaps for you, it is easily forgotten, Headmaster. But I will carry the memory of the night Black tried to get that friendly werewolf to attack me forever." he'd spat.

 

 

And now Black was in the castle again and off to see Potter. Potter. The consequence of the one night of happiness he'd allowed himself in this life. Shortly after, Lily had run right back to Potter. He'd known she hadn't come to stay, even if she hadn't been aware of it herself. She'd been fighting with Potter for weeks. They hadn't spoken since several weeks earlier when Potter had refused to attend Lily's sister's wedding. He'd apparently hated the Muggle Petunia had found, and would not dress up to attend the wedding to wish them well. Lily had poured the story out to him the night she came to him. They'd stayed up half the night talking. She swore she wouldn't ever go back to Potter because he couldn't accept her family. Though Lily had been clear that she too, thought Petunia's choice for husband had been a poor one, she was family, and that was enough for Lily.

 

Apparently Potter couldn't accept that anyone would dislike him because he was magical. Naturally, no one could dislike a Potter.

 

Eventually, talking had led to comforting, and comforting had led to more. It had been a beautiful night and they'd talked of a future together. But two days later, he'd taken the Dark Mark. He'd understood Lily's revulsion. She was a Muggleborn, after all. But he'd thought she didn't understand. What the Dark Lord was offering was so much more. He'd promised power, wealth, acceptance, and a world in which magical purity meant something. Having been a loner all his life, those things mattered to him.

 

But Lily had understood more than he had. The Dark Lord was a megalomaniac. The power he offered was only for a select few. The wealth was his alone. The acceptance was there, but only if you wished to be accepted by such people. And magical purity he'd long since realized was impossible. No one's ancestry was "clean" or "pure". In all families, there had been mixed marriages, Muggle to Witch or Wizard. It was necessary to keep Magical families from dying out. Lily had been right and he had been wrong. He never should have taken the Mark. And when Lily found out, she ran straight back to Potter.

 

Now it was clear why. She'd been pregnant. And who would want to have a child to a Death Eater? He didn't blame her, but it still hurt. Obviously she wanted to be sure he'd never find out that her child was not Potter's, but his. After all, he was a bitter, Dark Arts fascinated, follower of the darkest Wizard of the age. A minion. A goon. A lackey. A thug. No longer in charge of his own fate, no longer in charge of his own life. Pledged to a man who had a following of slaves. And there was no way out save that of death. Death of either the Dark Lord or his own. And the Potter child had been credited with the former. His child. He couldn't wrap his mind around it. He didn't want it. Lily had saved that baby and defeated the Dark Lord. The Potter brat had done nothing but wet his nappie. And now that brat was in the hospital wing receiving a visit from his Godfather, being fawned over by everyone. And what will that boy say when he finds out he isn't who he thinks he is?

 

) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (

 

Porridge never looked this good before. Sweet cream and juicy red strawberries floated in the bowl, just waiting to be stirred in. Eating again would be a real treat. It had been days since the accident and he hadn't had a bite to eat. Being kept nourished by an IV and potions just wasn't the same.

 

Madam Pomfrey was bustling about in front of the tray beside his bed; cleaning and arranging things, it seemed. The sunlight was pouring through the castle windows, brightening the hospital wing, making everything shine. Feeling more cheerful than he had since leaving Hogwarts a few weeks before, Harry sighed contentedly as he dug into his porridge. The first taste was as delicious as he imagined it would be.

 

As Harry put his nearly empty bowl back on his tray, he heard a clatter that sounded like dog claws on stone outside the hospital wing. The swinging doors were propped open, letting people flow in and out as naturally as the air did. But those sounds didn't belong to a person. Harry dared to hope...and before he could think that thought all the way through, a big shaggy dog bounded through the open doorway.

 

"Sirius!" Harry shouted. Madam Pomfrey looked up and gasped. As the dog tore through the aisle toward Harry, the Headmaster sauntered in behind him.

 

"Relax, Poppy, relax. This is no ordinary dog. This is Sirius, Harry's Godfather, come to visit."

 

Just as the dog reached Harry's bed, it transformed into a fairly young man with a broad smile.

 

"That's Sirius Black!" Poppy exclaimed.

 

Harry watched as Dumbledore drew Madam Pomfrey into her office. He supposed the Headmaster would explain Sirius' innocence.

 

Harry was glad to see that Sirius no longer looked like he had a few weeks ago. His hair, once down to his elbows, was neatly cut to his shoulders and fell in soft, clean waves. His teeth were clean and fixed. He'd already begun to regain the weight he'd lost in Azkaban. He was looking quite healthy, and Harry was truly pleased to see him.

 

"Harry!" Sirius cried.

 

Harry almost cringed as Sirius reached over the bed to hug him, but his hug was gentle, and there was no pain.

"What have you gotten yourself into now, Kiddo?" his Godfather asked. "You have more bandages on you than my brother did when he fell off the barn roof and onto the pitchfork."

 

Harry laughed. "I doubt your brother ever set foot in a barn let alone on one." Harry had been writing to Sirius regularly since they met a few weeks before term's end. Sirius had told Harry all about his family and their large, dark, mansion and rich family that had disowned him when he was young.

 

"True,” said Sirius, "but if he had been on a barn, and there had been a pitchfork under it, I can guarantee you he'd have fallen on it and he would not have required half the bandages you're wearing now."

 

It felt good to laugh again. This was just what Harry needed. He didn't hurt as badly as he had, magic truly was a wonderful tool for healing, but he had been through plenty before arriving back at Hogwarts. From the moment he stepped off the Hogwarts Express and into the Muggle World, he'd been lonely, sad and hurt. But now he was back at Hogwarts and the magic was surrounding him. And his family, these people he loved so much, were all letting him know how much they loved him back. It was how summer should be, how it probably was for his friends, and how it was now, for him. Now if Madam Pomfrey would just let him out of this bed...

 

"I can't believe the staircases move!"

 

It seemed Dr. Lorrie and Professor Lupin were back from touring the school. Harry grinned. The staircases fascinated him, as well. Neville still forgot about that third step sometimes.

 

At the sight of a lady he hadn't yet met, Sirius leapt up, grinned a cocky grin, and held out his hand. "Sirius Black, at your service, M'Lady!"

 

Professor Lupin smiled an indulgent smile. He was obviously used to Sirius. "Dr. Kagan Lorrie, this is Sirius Black. Sirius, this is Harry's doctor, Kagan Lorrie."

 

"Black? Sirius Black?" Dr. Lorrie was obviously shaken. She turned to whisper to Harry's former professor.

 

Professor Lupin hastened to assure her. "This is my best friend, Sirius Black, Harry's Godfather. He was wrongly accused of murder, a crime you've no doubt heard of on the television news. We know now who murdered those people, but while we know the truth, the man got away and we can't prove it. So for now, Sirius is in hiding."

 

Harry noticed his doctor still seemed apprehensive, but willing to give Sirius the benefit of the doubt. That was a relief.

 

When the doctor stretched out her hand to shake with Sirius, the man grinned and took her hand and kissed it. Trust Sirius to make a show of everything. Still, he couldn't help smiling. Here was his Godfather in all his glory, looking young and vibrant and ready to take on the world. It was good to see. A month ago it looked as if the former prisoner would never be well again.

 

Harry's visitors all pulled up chairs around his bed. Before Dr. Lorrie sat down, she checked Harry over. "Why are you pressing my fingernails?"

 

"I'm checking to make sure your circulation is good. Your breathing is back to normal, which is great news, and your color is wonderful. Your healer is very good at what she does. In a Muggle hospital, you wouldn't be nearly this far along." She pressed lightly on Harry's abdomen and smiled and pronounced his healing to be well along, before sitting down with Remus and Sirius beside Harry's bed.

 

"So Harry, what do you have planned for summer?" Sirius asked. "You don't have to go back to those Muggles, do you?"

 

Harry's heart started to race a bit. "I don't know. I hope not. They're going to be awfully busy with Dudley and his treatments. I might really be in the way, cause them extra work."

 

Professor Lupin and Dr. Lorrie began talking at once.

 

"You won't be going back to your relatives if I have anything to say about it, Harry," Lupin said.

 

"Those people aren't fit to raise a squirrel let along a child!" Dr. Lorrie proclaimed.

 

Sirius looked at everyone in turn, his expression demanding an explanation.

 

Harry was mortified. It hadn't been that bad! And he sure didn't want his life there discussed by all the adults in his life here!

 

Professor Lupin obliged. "Dr. Lorrie went to the Dursley residence to retrieve Hedwig, Harry's owl. She saw the conditions under which Harry was forced to live. Harry's room is small and bare, there are several large locks on the door. His cousin's room is large and filled with all manner of comforts and entertainment while Harry has none. The house is filled with pictures of Harry's cousin; there are none of Harry. When I received the note Hedwig brought from Dr. Lorrie requesting one of us to come see if we could help Harry after his accident, I walked into Harry's hospital room and caught his uncle shaking him hard. Harry had just come from surgery on his abdomen; his uncle was likely to kill him. I threw him off Harry and we portkeyed here."

 

"It's just the way it is." Harry sighed when they all turned to him as if for confirmation. "If I don't have to go back there then it doesn't matter anyway. Can we just drop it? And what's a portkey?” Harry asked.

 

Everyone ignored him as they rushed to placate the very agitated Sirius Black. "Don't worry, Sirius, we will take care of them. We will make this right for Harry," Professor Lupin assured him.

 

"Darn right we will," Sirius snarled. "And don't think you're going to exclude me."

 

Harry tried again, desperate to change the subject. "What's a portkey?"

 

Professor Lupin answered. "A portkey is an item spelled with the enchantment 'Portus'. It will transport you to a predetermined destination when activated by a word or by touch. A portkey can be anything from an old shoe to a diamond necklace. When I saw what your uncle was doing, and how white you were becoming, I activated this particular portkey with a word. Dr. Lorrie was unfortunate enough to be touching your bed as the portkey activated. It was entirely my fault. The portkey transports you through space to your destination with a whirlwind tunnel sort of sensation after a yank behind your navel. It was not an ideal way to travel for someone in your condition but I did not feel you had much time left, I knew we had to get you here quickly and that was the fastest means of travel available to us."

 

"Um, thank you then, Professor Lupin. I don't think I'd still be here if you hadn't used your portkey. Dr. Lorrie, what will you do? You disappeared with a bed with a patient on it. Will you be in trouble?"

 

"Your Headmaster is going to help me fix things. Honestly, I'm not sure anymore that I want to return to my old job. I had no idea what I was missing not being involved in the magical world. Magical healing is amazing and I'm wondering if I can combine my knowledge of healing the Muggle way with magical healing to better help patients. I'd like to find out what sort of training I'd need to apply for to become a healer."

 

Lupin, Sirius and Dr. Lorrie luckily became engrossed in a boring conversation about healing in the Muggle vs Magical worlds. There was no way he wanted them to start talking about the Dursleys again. But what would happen to him now? After Uncle Vernon attacked him like that, he didn't think Dumbledore would make him go back there.

 

Madam Pomfrey arrived just as their conversation seemed to be winding down, thus saving Harry from more Dursley questions. "Alright everyone. Mr. Potter needs his rest. You may all come see him again this evening after he's had a chance to get some rest and eat a decent meal or two."

 

Normally, this irritated Harry. He hated having his friends shooed from the hospital wing when he was here. But he had to admit he was feeling pretty groggy. It might be a good idea to take a short nap before lunch.

 

Sirius hugged Harry again, Professor Lupin touched his shoulder and told him to rest well. Dr. Lorrie kissed Harry's forehead. "You get well quickly, young man, alright? I want another tour of this castle soon, and this time I want to see the places old fogies know nothing about."

 

Harry laughed and agreed and his visitors filed out.

 

Lunch was Harry's favorite, roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was delicious. Food at Hogwarts was always great. As he was finishing, Dumbledore arrived.

 

"How are you feeling, Harry?"

 

"I'm okay Professor. I'm just wondering what my summer's going to be like."

 

"Well, dear boy, that's exactly why I'm here."

 

Harry's heart started racing. He was afraid Dumbledore would say he had to go back to the Dursleys and he didn't think he could do that.

 

"I've been thinking about this, Harry, and it's obvious that your time with the Dursleys should come to an end.” Harry let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding as Dumbledore continued, “I've done some things in my life that I'm not proud of, Harry. And leaving you with a family that could not come to care for you tops the list. I truly believed that they would see you for the precious baby boy that you were, how could they not? And yet, they did not. I should have checked on you, I should have taken you from there years ago. And soon, when you're feeling better, I'd like to talk with you about what your life with the Dursleys was like.

 

“But for now, I think you have enough on your plate. And so I'd like to ask you if you'd like to spend the summer here at Hogwarts."

 

Harry brightened considerably at this. He'd hoped, but hadn't dared to believe.

 

"There will be some teachers here over the summer, teachers who can look after you. Teachers who are members of an organization of which I am head, an organization of people I trust implicitly. I formed this organization during the first war against Voldemort. It is a group of people that were dedicated to ending Voldemort's reign of power. As it appears obvious after the events of your first and second year that we have not seen the end of Voldemort, this group continues to meet periodically, and it's members are close knit and work together well. Several of the teachers here are members. Professor Snape, for one. Professors McGonagall and Flitwick, Hagrid, your former Professor Lupin and Sirius are all members. This is a secret organization and I expect you to treat it as such. It's not to be spoken of with anyone. Do you understand?"

 

"I do, sir, and I appreciate you telling me this."

 

"Very good, young man, very good. Now, there is something of great import that we must discuss. I fear that you will not take it well and I need your assurance that whatever we speak of, you will not move excessively and endanger your healing."

 

Well if that wasn't an announcement that would send your average kid running for his life, Harry didn't know what was. He nodded, afraid to trust his voice.

 

The Headmaster continued: "It has recently come to light that the Dursleys are not your only living relatives. And this is good news, because in order not to become a ward of the Ministry, you must be under the guardianship of a relative or be adopted by someone. Adoption proceedings take quite a long time, and by the time we found you a home and had the legalities settled, you would have been made a ward of the Ministry. It is lucky that we found this relative quite unexpectedly."

 

"There's someone that belongs to me, sir? Someone who might love me? Take me in?" Harry remembered Dumbledore saying he'd be staying here at the school. "Someone here at the school, sir?" Harry cringed at how needy he sounded. But he'd been wanting someone for himself as long as he could remember and it had just slipped out.

 

"Yes Harry, that someone is here at the school. As for someone you can claim for your own, someone who will love you, well, I'm quite sure that given time, those things will develop."

 

This wasn't sounding good.

 

"Harry, we recently discovered that James Potter was not your biological father. You were the son of his heart. He loved you dearly. He died to protect you and your mother. He left everything he owned to you. He is and always will be, your father. However, he did not contribute to your conception."

 

Harry was in shock.

 

"When you were given the Blood Restorer potion yesterday, you had a severe allergic reaction. We tested you and found that your allergy was to the Astragalus leaf. This leaf is not normally an allergen. This potion is normally safe. However, there is one family line known to have a sensitivity to this leaf. Some in the family have died from exposure to this leaf. When we saw that you were allergic to this leaf, we tested your blood against that of the man who is also allergic to this particular leaf. The results were positive, he is your father."

 

"Who, sir?" he gasped.

 

"I'm afraid Harry, that it's Professor Snape."

 

Harry's heart leapt to his throat. No. Not Snape. Tears sprang to his eyes. Of all the people it could have been, why Snape? It was bad enough to learn that James Potter was not his real father, but then he was told that his real father was Professor Snape? Snape, the most hated man in the school? The one person who hates him as much as the Dursleys do? That Snape?

 

Suddenly, Harry couldn't catch his breath. His lungs seemed unable to fill with air. He began panting, sweating, he couldn't breathe.

 

Dumbledore tipped a phial to Harry's mouth, encouraging him to drink a potion. But Harry couldn't drink, he couldn't breathe, how could he drink? Snape was his father?

 

Calming words flowed through the air. They floated up and down in a beautiful cadence, a rhythmic spell incanted by a master of spells. Harry began to calm, he was able to drink the draught, which calmed him further. Now the world seemed gentler.

 

Snape had slept with his mother. Snape was his father. Snape, the bat of the dungeons. The git who terrorized students for a hobby. The bloke who made it a priority to make Harry's life hell. Well didn't that just figure?

 

His thoughts seemed to be flowing upstream against the potion, but they kept losing. He kept losing sight of what he was upset about. He giggled a little. If he could have a sip of this industrial strength calming draught before every Potions class, he might never mess up a potion again. It wouldn't bother him at all that the dungeon dweller was looking over his shoulder, snapping off nasty comments about his work.

 

Wait, what was this about again? Oh, right, Snape. Snape was his father. Daddy. Pop. Papa. Really, how could you not giggle at that? In fact, it was downright hilarious. Papa Snape. It had a certain ring to it. He rather liked it.

 

Naturally, at that very moment, the man in question walked into the room. "Papa Snape!" Harry yelled, an expression of extreme happiness on his face.

 

Snape's expression, however, was one of complete horror.

 

"I suppose the reaction to the combination of the Placidum Spell and the Calming Draught have brought us to this point, Severus."

 

"Papa Sev'rus!" Harry yelled.

 

Snape turned on his heel and practically ran for the door.

 

Dumbledore and Harry sighed together, with two very different expressions on their faces. "Perhaps it's best Professor Snape not be here when that Calming Draught wears off,” Professor Dumbledore ventured.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2770