I Do Not Want This by KimSpiritTalks, TabbyBri
Summary: An accident leads to a discovery, a discovery that neither Harry Potter nor Professor Severus Snape can abide. Now they have to live in the same castle knowing what they know. Each of them has friends who think they should give their relationship a chance. Friends really should mind their own business. Note: The warnings seem ominous but this is not a dark story, quite the contrary. The instances that include the warned of moments will simply be briefly referred to and not minutely examined.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Bill, Charlie, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Filch, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Narcissa, Neville, Oliver Wood, Original Character, Percy, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sinistra, Sirius, Tobias Snape, Tonks, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Rape, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 29655 Read: 28611 Published: 02 Mar 2012 Updated: 05 Jan 2013
The Rite of Guardianship by KimSpiritTalks

Harry was starting to feel nervous. Professor Lupin and Dr. Lorrie had just arrived with the news that the Guardianship ceremony would be starting soon. Dr. Lorrie was wearing robes different from any he'd seen the teachers wear. They were more form fitting than the usual robes, and she looked really pretty in them. Harry assumed they were dress robes. Lupin was dressed up, too. He looked much better than he had last year. His dress robes looked new and they fit him really well.  

It surprised him that Dr. Lorrie was still here. Sure, she was a witch, but this was a school and she was a doctor. She had a job at that hospital. Harry figured she'd gone back home when he hadn't seen her all day. "Hi Dr. Lorrie, I didn't know you were still here."

"Hello Harry; please call me Kagan,” she greeted him in her kind voice. “As for still being here, I have some news for you that I hope you'll be happy to hear." There was that smile again. Harry really loved her smile. It made him feel special. Maybe there could be a competition. Dr. Lorrie, or Kagan, yeah, that was nice, could compete with Dumbledore. The audience would get to decide whose eyes sparkled more. Harry would bet on Kagan. Her eyes were so pretty when she looked at him like that, that he was sure they could light up the sky.

"Although your Professor Dumbledore was amazing and fixed everything for me so I could return to work, he's asked me to stay on here, instead. Apparently the wizarding world has no healer-doctors, or whatever they'd be called. No one is trained in both magical and muggle healing, at least not at the professional level. He offered me the chance to stay on at Hogwarts and apprentice to Madam Pomfrey before doing a possible internship at St. Mungos. Isn't that great? It's an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Not only will I learn to combine magical and muggle healing, but I'll get to be near you, the most handsome young man in the whole of the wizarding and muggle worlds put together!"

Harry blushed right down to his toes. He prayed she hadn't noticed. Of course he knew she was just teasing, but still... "That's great, Dr...uh, Kagan. I'll bet combining healer and doctor training will make you pretty important to the wizarding world, and if you'll be staying at Hogwarts, I can visit you sometimes after classes. 

"An honor I am excitedly looking forward to, my friend.

“Now, Remus says we have a job to do here. You have a big night ahead of you and we're to make you presentable. Your new father and your Godfather are both getting ready, as well."

She stepped back and Lupin came up alongside Harry's bed. 

"Harry," Lupin said. "We... I... Sirius and I didn't know that James wasn't your biological father. I'm sorry.”

Lupin seemed as nervous and sorry as Harry was himself. It didn't help him feel any better that someone he trusted was sad that this was happening, too. Being the son of James Potter was a very strong part of Harry's identity in this world. Until now, he hadn't really thought about what that might mean to Lupin and Sirius.

“We... I'd have told you before, had I known. Sirius, well, he's a bit shaken, but he knows that bonding you to Professor Snape with this ritual is best for you. He can't take custody of you because his name is not yet cleared. He wants you to know that he would if he could. You do understand that, don't you Harry?"

Harry nodded. His throat was feeling scratchy. He would have liked to have lived with Sirius and Lupin. They would have had great times together. For one thing, he doubted there would ever be a bed time. Well, maybe Lupin would insist on one, but Harry was sure Sirius would overrule him; either that or they'd sneak out together. "How did Sirius take it?" 

"Well, you know Sirius, he blusters a bit before he thinks things through. It's lucky Professor Snape wasn't in the room when Professor Dumbledore told us or I think that only one of the two would have been left standing. But that is not for you to worry about. Sirius understands why it has to be this way and eventually, he'll even come around to accepting that you'll be just fine without him jumping in to rescue you and carry you off to some deserted island somewhere.”

That didn't sound like such a bad idea to Harry. "But it isn't for the best! Snape can't be my father! Can't anyone see that? He hates me. He would rather see me dead than be responsible for me. Why can't anyone see that?"

"Wrong, Mr. Potter. I do not wish to see you dead." 

Oh no. Snape was coming toward them and he'd heard. Harry couldn't help but stare. He was dressed in immaculate robes with a silk looking green cloth draped around his neck and down the front of his robes. It looked like he'd even showered and washed his hair!

"Papa Severus has other uses for you."

Harry cringed.

With that, the Potions Master turned on his heel and Accioed a table, which raced to him from across the room. He then pulled a tiny object from his pocket which re-sized into a large crate. From the crate came a similar green silk cloth, which he draped over the table. Next came a thin book in tooled leather. Harry could just make out the name: "Wizarding Rites and Ceremonies for Families". Snape set that on the table. Next he pulled out a series of tall, thin candles set in golden candlesticks. The first candle was red, then next orange, then yellow, then green, then blue, and finally, two shades of a purple color, one darker, one almost pink. He lined them on the table. Harry wondered what the colors meant.

Professor Lupin explained: "I looked up this Rite earlier. The candles represent energy centers within and just above our bodies. They are called our chakras. Have you learned of them yet, Harry?"  

This was an area that always fascinated Harry so he easily answered. "Yes, we talked about them in Flitwick's and McGonagall's classes. They're the places we draw our magic from, right?"

"That's one of the fundamental differences between how Hogwarts trains wizards and witches and how I learned magic," Kagan put in. "Hogwarts trains you to draw magic from within yourself, to visualize your chakras and pull spells from the appropriate centers. I was taught to use those centers as channels, but to pull magical energy from the environment as much as possible. It uses much less of your personal power, and you can usually cast stronger spells because most of the time there is far more energy in our surroundings than inside ourselves. Only the most powerful wizards can pull enough from within themselves to cast strong spells repeatedly."

That made sense. Harry really wanted to explore this when he got a chance. It sounded like something he could use if he wanted to be an Auror. Heck, if he wanted to defeat Voldemort the next time he showed up to bother him he'd want to have as much power at his disposal as possible.

Apparently Snape was interested too. He'd paused in what he was doing to listen. However, when he realized Harry had noticed his pause, he went back to his preparations.

Professor Lupin nodded, apparently familiar with Kagan's form of magic. Then he continued: "The chakras are represented by the colors of the candles. Red indicates base power; raw, strong, undisciplined. It is the chakra responsible for accidental magic when we're children. Orange indicates a slightly more disciplined power. It is the chakra of creativity. It is where spell creators begin their work. Yellow is the beginning of self perception. It honors the fullness of what we are. Green is the heart chakra, bringing new hope and love. It's the reason Professor Snape is wearing the green sash around his neck and has a green cloth on the table. It's the heart of who you are, and who your guardian is. Next is the blue, the throat chakra. This is the expression of all you've learned. This is where you take things outside of yourself to use what you've learned to manipulate your surroundings. I believe Dr. Lorrie draws her magic through this chakra. The next is indigo. It is where we look past the veil of illusion, and reach awareness. All is revealed from this chakra. Then there is violet, the final chakra. Violet is the culmination of our time, place and being. It is indicative of our constant state of unfolding and growing."

Harry had heard all of this before, of course, but it was fascinating to hear it in relation to the candles Snape was putting out for the ceremony. He wished Hermione could be here to see and hear this. She'd do all kinds of research and insist they enter it all into their Journals of Magic.

Next out of the box came white candles, which he placed around the outside edges of the table.

"Those are for purity of intention." Lupin explained. "The purpose is to show that the prospective parent's intentions are pure."

Harry couldn't suppress a snicker at that one, earning a glare from both Snape and Lupin. Snape's intentions were far from pure. Maybe that would make the ceremony invalid. Harry sort of hoped so, though a life as ward of the Minister might be even worse than life as the son of the least liked teacher in the school. Or maybe not. It was a lose/lose situation as far as Harry was concerned.

"Snape. A word."

Harry whipped his head around to see Sirius poking his head in the door to the hospital wing. He grinned at Harry and waved before turning back to Snape. A lump he hadn't realized was there settled a bit in Harry's stomach. He hadn't been consciously aware of how afraid he was that Sirius would reject him when he found out that he was Snape's son, instead of the son of his old best friend. Harry realized he'd been practically holding his breath since Lupin mentioned that Sirius hadn't taken the news well. That fear disappeared when Sirius grinned at him. It didn't seem like Sirius hated him for being Snape's son.

"Black," Snape spat, "I do not have time for this."

"Make time, Snape. Before we go through with this, I'd like to talk."

"You have two minutes, Black."

Harry watched this exchange with trepidation. Snape glared at Sirius, but then followed him out to the hall. Apparently, Professor Lupin didn't trust the two alone together, because he patted Harry's knee reassuringly before he went out as well. 

) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (

"Spit it out, Black," Snape snapped out as he and Black squared off in the corridor. He really didn't have time for this. He was running on two hours sleep and an invigorating potion and he wasn't in the mood for a confrontation with Black.

As if that wasn't bad enough, it appeared that Lupin was feeling the need to play chaperone because he positioned himself between them and back a bit. That was fine, as long as it didn't become a two on one shouting or cursing match. It had not been uncommon for Potter and his cronies to engage in such tactics. It had been a favorite of Black's and Potter's back when they were students, though they rarely got the better of him. He could hold his own against Black and Potter together any time. Lupin had neither joined nor prevented such confrontations, and it didn't appear as if he intended to now. He seemed to be as content as ever to watch from the sidelines. That was fine with Snape, he just wanted this whole thing over with.

"I don't know how things got all twisted, with you ending up Harry's father."

"You don't know, Black? I could recommend a few books on human reproduction that could help."

"That's not what I meant and you know it, Snape!"

Snape was quickly losing his temper. "Then say what you mean. I don't have all evening."

Black sighed. It was obviously difficult for him to accept that Snape was Harry's father. Snape could empathize, he wasn't doing too well accepting it either.

"Look, I may have to accept that you're being made Harry's guardian but I don't have to like it. I don't think you've ever really grown up. You still act as if we're school boy enemies and Harry is somehow the reincarnation of James. We aren't kids any longer, and I'm not convinced you realize that.”

"Isn't that rich, coming from you," Snape snarled. The cur had spent his entire adult life in Azkaban and came out as full of hatred as he'd been when he'd been arrested.

"Can we get to the point here, Snape?" 

Snape nodded curtly, arms crossed.

"Harry is just a kid, a kid who from all appearances has been neglected, if not abused. He needs to be surrounded by people who care about him. In fact, he needs to be with someone he can call his own, someone who truly loves him. So far it looks like he's been on his own for pretty much all his life. I know you hate him. And now you'll be his guardian. I want your word that you won't mistreat him and that you'll try to see beyond the James Potter image you've superimposed on him.

“I would like to be part of life, as would Remus. We'd like to be there for him as he grows up. I would have taken him in myself in a heart-beat. Before Peter got away, it was our plan that he come live with me. But I'm still a fugitive and so can't take on his guardianship."

"It would not have been granted to you, anyway, Black. You are not related and the Ministry would have overruled your petition. I am stuck with him, whether any of us likes it or not."

Lupin hissed at that, but remained silent as Black continued.

"That's what worries me, Snape. He needs to be loved. He needs to laugh and play and be accepted for who he is. I don't see you providing that for him. I need your word that you'll allow Remus and I to be major parts of his life, to be there for him as surrogate fathers."

"You are welcome to do just that, Black," Snape responded, nodding at Lupin to include him, as well. "This guardianship will be in name only. I want nothing to do with the boy. You are welcome to provide him with all he needs, both emotionally and physically. You are welcome to have him stay with you when possible. You are welcome to give him away to whatever unfortunate witch or wizard he intends to marry when the time comes. I will monitor him to be sure the mandates of the Guardianship Rites are followed, but as long as he has what he needs, I need not be involved."

"You are cold, Snape."  

Snape nodded. He didn't disagree.  

"If that's all?"  

"It is."  

The three men returned to the hospital wing; Snape to his preparations, Black and Lupin to the boy's side. It was actually good to have that settled. It would free him from day to day interaction with the boy. All he'd have to do is make sure the promises he would make during the ceremony were fulfilled by someone.

Potter was sitting quietly for once, talking with Black, Lupin, and that doctor while Pomfrey removed the last of his bandages. Pomfrey bustled around the boy for a few minutes and then returned to her office, mumbling something about being back shortly to finish helping him prepare for the ceremony.  

Returning his attention to his own preparations, Snape adjusted the contents of his crate. He again wondered if he'd done the right thing. The required gifts for the boy were of the finest quality. Early this evening, when he'd regained some of his strength, he'd gone to Diagon Alley to purchase the gifts. At first he'd chosen the cheapest, most insulting ones he could find. Before leaving the Diagon Alley, however, he'd had second thoughts and had banished those purchases. If he were going to be forced into this ceremony, he would do it right. He was required to give gifts to the boy, but what gifts he gave were up to him. He could be cheap and insulting, but that would reflect badly on him. Not that he cared what others thought of him; he certainly did not. But he did care what he thought of himself. And if he dishonored his family and his ancestors, he would be dishonoring himself.  

His decision made, he had started again, this time going to the finest shops where he'd purchased more fitting gifts. It did not matter if Potter appreciated the gesture. He was not looking for Potter's appreciation. What mattered was that Snape honor his own name in this formal ceremony.

Snape was pulled out of his reflection when he heard Potter asking his fan club if he could invite his friends to the ceremony.  

"That's probably up to Professor Snape, Harry."  

Lupin was right. It was up to him and he would not endure this travesty with an audience of adolescents.  

"No Potter, you may not." The boy jumped at that, apparently forgetting that Snape possessed extraordinary hearing.  

"Why not, Sir? They won't cause trouble."  

"The ceremony will begin within a few short minutes and will last a few short minutes as I have much better things to be doing with my time. You may see your little friends another time."


 

And that was that. For once the boy seemed to know better than to protest his decision.


 

) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (


 

Harry was angry that Snape was being so arrogant about the whole thing. He'd liked to have had his friends by his side. But then again, Snape was right in that the ceremony was about to begin, and he'd need quite a long time to break the news to Ron that Snape was his father.  

Madam Pomfrey came out of her office and pulled a curtain around the bed, shooing Lupin, Sirius and Dr. Lorrie away. She quickly spelled Harry clean, and as he protested, brushed his hair. She cast a few more grooming spells, and then quickly changed his sheets. When she was done, Sirius returned. He handed Harry one of his school robes. Harry had been pleased to find that Sirius had gathered all of his belongings from Privet Drive when he was there this afternoon.


 

They'd all laughed quite a bit when Sirius had described the punishment they'd doled out to the Dursleys, but Harry was secretly sorry he was the reason they were suffering. They'd never wanted him, were never really given a choice in the matter. Yes, they could have refused, could have written to Dumbledore and ordered him to take Harry back. They hadn't, they'd taken him in when he had been left on their doorstep, but they'd never been happy about it. He was magical, and magic was something they feared and despised. And though they could have treated him better, he still felt it was wrong that they were punished on his behalf.  

Just as he finished buttoning up his robe, Dumbledore entered wearing navy blue robes sprinkled with silver stars that looked a bit like a galaxy had shrunk itself, flown down, and landed on his robes. The Headmaster nodded at the torches on the walls and they immediately dimmed. Then he waved his hand at the windows, darkening them so the last of the day's sunlight was blocked. He pointed his wand at each bed in the wing except the one Harry was in. The other beds all scooted themselves to one side of the room, creating a large empty space around Harry's bed and Snape's table. It was a bit dark, but Harry guessed that was because Snape would be lighting all those candles on his table. It actually looked kinda neat in the hospital wing tonight.


 

Harry was still a bit sore, but he figured he could stand up for this if he was asked to. It would probably be more appropriate. In fact, he decided, if he was going to do this, he was going to do it right.  

"Should I stand, sir?" Harry asked Dumbledore.


 

"Can you, Harry, without pain?" 

"I'm fine, sir. I can stand." 

Dumbledore stared at Harry from above his glasses, seeming to assess the truthfulness of Harry's claim. "Very well then, Harry. You may stand as long as Madam Pomfrey agrees and you return to your bed as soon as the ceremony is complete."  

The Headmaster glanced at Madam Pomfrey, a question in his eyes. She nodded.

Professor Lupin and Dr. Lorrie helped Harry get out of bed and stand on his feet. He'd been confined to bed for days, and had just healed from a bad break in his leg. He was glad for the help when he stood, because he wobbled a bit. There was some pain, and his injured leg was weaker than his other, but he was standing and it was enough.

Dumbledore began: "All witnesses to these proceedings please gather around and state your names for the record."  

Harry noticed a quill and parchment had appeared on Snape's table. The quill was poised over the parchment and seemed to be ready to write on its own. Cool.  

They started on Harry's left with Lupin. "Remus John Lupin."  

"Kagan Brianna Lorrie."  

"Har..." But Lupin nudged Harry and shook his head. Apparently, he wasn't supposed to say his name right now.  

Sirius smiled at Harry as he said, "Sirius Black."  

"Poppy Pomfrey."

Dumbledore looked pleased. "Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, officiating. Will the father and son come stand side by side at the table and state their names, father first?"  

Lupin helped Harry over to the table and steadied him at Snape's side.

Snape sneered at Dumbledore as if the Headmaster had asked him to do something disgusting. And maybe he had. Snape had always acted as if Harry were disgusting.  

"Severus Prince Snape."  

Lupin nodded at him now so Harry said, “Harry James Potter."


 

"Will either party be changing their name?"  

Snape and Harry looked at each other before both turned back to Dumbledore and firmly answered, "No!"

Dumbledore chuckled fondly.  

"By the power vested in me as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, I will be officiating over these proceedings. Severus Snape, do you willingly put yourself forth as guardian of your natural born son, Harry James Potter?"  

Snape seemed to be choking on the words, but he did answer, "I do."  

"Then please light the candles of intent."  

As he lit the candles one by one, Dumbledore continued reciting the ceremonial words: “These candles represent the child's energy centers. They indicate the father's intent to provide the child with a healthy environment, conducive to personal growth and emotional and physical health. The father starts with the red candle, indicating his charge's raw, untrained state. He continues lighting the candles, signifying his intent to take his new charge from the child he is to the man he will someday become; caring for, and nurturing him with every step along the way.”


 

Dumbledore nodded at Snape, apparently happy with the presentation so far.


 

"Severus Snape, please make your vows as you present your gifts." 

Professor Snape bowed his head in response, then reached into his crate. Gifts? No one had told Harry there would be gifts.

Snape pulled out a beautiful set of robes. They were a deep green, just like Harry's eyes. They were obviously expensive, and Harry couldn't believe they were for him, from Snape. He'd never had anything so nice.  

Sirius stepped up behind Harry and helped him remove his school robes. Snape helped Harry into the new ones. This was surreal.  
 

"I give you these robes as a token of my intention to make sure you are always properly clothed," his professor proclaimed.  

The man reached back into the crate and pulled out a warm and wonderful smelling loaf of bread. It made Harry's mouth water and his stomach as a reminder that he'd been too nervous to eat dinner this earlier this evening.  

"I give you this bread as a token of my intention to make sure that you never go hungry."  

Harry gulped. This was already way more than the Dursleys had ever done for him. He accepted the bread, and Sirius took it to hold for him. Snape reached in and took out a book this time.  

"I give you this book as a token of my intention to make sure you receive a proper education."  

He handed Harry a beautiful, leather-bound volume called "Wizarding Customs from the Dawn of Society to Today." Harry accepted it gratefully, and Dr. Lorrie took it for him.  

Again Snape reached down into the crate, and this time he handed Harry an amulet on a gold chain.  

"I give you this amulet of protection as a token of my intention to shield you from harm."  

It had a black stone set in the middle of what appeared to be runes. Harry saw that it was like the one Oliver Wood wore. He'd once showed it around the Common Room, and called it black onyx. It was a stone his father had given him for protection and healing. Harry accepted the amulet and Professor Lupin placed it around his neck for him.  

The next item Snape pulled out was a silver disk on a short silver chain with a tiny silver ball at the end of the chain.  

"I give you this Emergency Notifier. I will keep its twin in my pocket. If you have need of me in an emergency, hold this disk and concentrate on me. My disk will vibrate and heat and direct me to you. I give you this as a token of my intention to be available to you when you have need of me. Do not abuse it."  

Harry nodded. He had a feeling that last part was probably not part of the ceremony, but that was OK. The ceremony was way too solemn for Harry's tastes and he was really getting uncomfortable receiving a pile of gifts and promises from Professor Snape. It was good he did something in character to remind Harry that this wasn't all a strange dream.  

Snape then looked to Dumbledore, who handed Harry a slip of paper. "I give you the name of my personal home. It is now your home, as well, should you need to go there. The home is protected by the Fidelius Charm. I bid you to silently read the name and address of the home and commit them to memory."  

Harry was stunned. Access to Snape's home. This can't have been something Snape offered willingly. Harry dutifully memorized the name and address of Snape Hall. Snape held out his hand and Harry gave him the paper. Snape banished it. "I give you the name and address of my home as a token of my intention to see you properly housed as long as you are under my care."  

Snape now drew a potion phial from his box. "I give you this nutrient potion as a token of my intention to see that you regain your health and maintain it." Harry took the phial from his outstretched hand and dropped it into his pocket, nodding his thanks.  

Snape turned back to Dumbledore and said: "I vow to do my best in the raising of this child to adulthood. I understand that I may sometimes have questions or difficulties and will need advice. I vow to listen to advice from others close to the child, or professionals, as needed.  

“If I cannot perform my duties as father to this child for any reason, I will voluntarily give custody of the child to someone who can."  

Snape then turned to Sirius and Lupin. "I request that Sirius Black and Remus John Lupin accept the role of Godfathers to Harry James Potter."  

Harry was again stunned. This made everything a lot better. He not only got to keep Sirius as his Godfather, but he would be gaining Remus, too. Maybe this wouldn't be all bad, after all.

Sirius grinned, but Lupin looked as if he were going to faint. It was clear he hadn't expected this, either. Then he too grinned as he shook Snape's hand. Then Sirius shook the professor's hand next. Snape looked like he very much wanted to wipe his hand on his robes after that.

Harry now had two Godfathers. Brilliant! He smiled up at Professor Lupin, his new Godfather, and both Sirius and Lupin put a hand on Harry's shoulders, with a still-grinning Sirius nudging Snape aside so he could fit in between him and Harry.

Dumbledore smiled and appeared satisfied. Harry doubted he had expected Snape to choose Sirius for Godfather, let alone Lupin.  

"The demands of the Guardianship Rites have been met to my satisfaction. I pronounce Severus Prince Snape father and guardian of Harry James Potter.”

Harry sighed. It was now official. He was Snape's son by blood and by law. It felt like world was beginning to spin out of control.  

“Severus, do you have anything else you'd like to say?"  

"I do."  

Snape looked at Harry then, and said, "As I have no heir to the Prince or Snape lines, I now declare you, Harry James Potter, to be my heir."  

The world really did spin out of control after that. Snape's heir? As in the one who will inherit his family's homes and fortunes if Snape should die? Harry looked around. Everyone else seemed stunned, too.  

"Welcome to my family, Potter," Snape murmured with a sigh, just before turning on his heel and stalking out the door.  

No one moved for a few moments. Then Dumbledore cleared the windows and turned up the torches. Harry was still having trouble accepting what had just happened. Dumbledore asked Harry to blow out the candles on the table. Harry did so, though he wasn't sure where he found the breath as he seemed to be short of it right now.  

Harry fingered the fabric of his new robe. It was soft, easily the nicest thing he'd ever worn. The amulet was warm around his neck. The gifts were all obviously of good quality, and now Harry was heir to two more families. It was a bit much to take. But the biggest change of all, was that he now had a father. And that father was Professor Snape.  

His good leg gave out just then, and his immobilized leg swung out in front of him as he began to fall. Sirius caught him and carried him back to bed. He was shaking pretty badly as Sirius laid him down. That was an intense ceremony and now Snape was his guardian. How would his life change? Would Snape interfere in his daily life- more so than usual? Would he force rules on Harry? Would he punish him? Hah. Of course he'd give him a ton of rules and punishments. What would he do to punish him? He was now pretty much at Snape's mercy, and the thought was terrifying. The more he thought about these things, the more he shook and soon he was having real trouble catching his breath.  

Madam Pomfrey rushed over with a draught. Harry drank it quickly, grateful for something to focus on other than how drastically his life had just changed. It must have been a sleeping draught as he was soon feeling very sleepy. Dumbledore removed his glasses from his face and gently ruffled his hair. "You did well, my boy. Don't fret, all will turn out beautifully."  

Harry fell asleep to the voices of his Godfathers, Professor Dumbledore, Kagan, and Madam Pomfrey talking quietly around his bed. He felt safe and loved. Whatever happened with Snape, he could always turn to any of these people and they would be there to help him. It was a good feeling.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2770