At the Mercy of Wolves by Whitetail
Summary: Harry and Snape get caught up in an attempt at revenge, executed by a magically altered pack of werewolves with a vendetta against You Know Who.

Entry in the 2012 Prompt Fest. Prompts: It fell from his grasp and shattered; howl.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Fic Fests > #14 Prompt Fest 2012 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 18149 Read: 18695 Published: 20 May 2012 Updated: 20 May 2012
Full Moon Rising (Part 2) by Whitetail

Hazel returned a few hours before dawn, looking exhausted. She said that she had accomplished what she had set out to do, and this news did not seem to improve the morale of the two prisoners in the cave, nor of Rolf. But none of the other wolves commented on his lack of appetite when Brynn and Elsa dragged some game into the dim cave. Most of the animals had been driven deeper into the depths of the forest due to the number of people searching the trees, and so the number of kills that day were not satisfactory. What little game had been caught was divided amongst the pack. Despite having been given a few stale hunks of stolen bread, Snape and Harry did not eat. They looked as though they would not have eaten the finest meal in the world. The steady drip drip of the water in the cave seemed to have become constant reminder that time was running out. The wands would have to be reclaimed when the pack had gone to sleep during daylight hours, for if they were not taken then, the full moon would rise and the very worst would happen.

      Harry and Professor Snape were silent as the grave, both with looks of anxiety upon their faces. It was a long time before the both of them fell into a restless sleep. It was even longer of a time before Rolf nudged Professor Snape awake, and dropped two wands into his lap after glancing fervently around the cavern. The other werewolves were sleeping, and there was no movement in the cave except for Snape and Rolf.

     “You have no idea how hard it was to get those,” Rolf whispered into the Professor’s ear. “Come on, we don’t have much time. It’s almost sundown.”

      Snape nodded in thanks and shook Harry awake. Harry opened his eyes blearily, and rubbed them beneath his glasses. Rolf waited expectantly while they both got up. Professor Snape was wincing and leaning heavily on a stalactite, standing on his good leg. His ankle was in very bad shape, and the days of sitting in the damp cold of the cave had done nothing for it.

    “No use. It’s broken.” Snape muttered. He looked around for a moment, and then raised his wand. “Muffliato,” he whispered.

     “What does that do?” Harry said, voice barely audible. Harry looked glad to see that Snape had his wand back.

     “Makes it so others cannot overhear us.”

     “Why?”

     “Because we’re trying to escape, you daft boy.”

     He then slid down against the stalactite in a sitting position. He pulled off his sock and lifted up his robe so that his ankle was free of anything. It was swollen badly, and crooked. His skin became grey at the sight of it. Harry looked surprised to see that the injury was so severe. His Professor had not been acting as though he was hurt too badly.

         “This won’t sound nice,” Snape warned Rolf and Harry, still talking in a low voice despite there being no danger of being overheard. Bewildered, Harry watched. Snape waved his wand to do a nonverbal spell, and at the same time he bit down on his fist. There was a very loud crack and the ankle straightened. Professor Snape only grunted slightly around his hand. Both Harry and Rolf winced. Panting, Snape then let both hands fall to his side as he slumped against the stalactite. Shaking, he waved his wand once more, and the ankle glowed blue.

     “Is it healed?” Harry asked curiously in a whisper. The ankle was still swollen and bruised, and did not look all that much different, other than the fact that it was straight again.

     “The bone yes,” Professor Snape replied rather breathlessly as he watched as a hint of blood appeared on his knuckles, where the teeth marks were. “But it was left so long that the swelling and bruising will need a few potions, and a salve.”

      “Can you walk on it?” Rolf inquired hastily.

       Snape nodded, getting to his feet. It looked as though it were still a bit sore, though significantly better.

       “I’m sorry he took your boot,” Rolf muttered. Snape didn’t seem to pay any attention.

       “Go,” he muttered to them both, nudging Harry forward. Rolf led the way. “Careful not to tread on any of them.”

       Cautiously, in the dim green light the trio wound around the sleeping wolves, being very careful not to step too heavily or brush up against any of them. They were spaced very close together, and on more than one occasion Rolf had to nod in the direction of a paw or tail hidden in shadow. Somehow, they reached the tunnel that led to the outside. Snape glanced behind him as he ducked down slightly before entering the dark passage. After travelling for some time over the damp, uneven ground, they emerged from the stone prison, and stood on the soft forest floor. The trees towered over them, and obscured much of the sky. The horizon blazed in all its glory as the sun fell further in the sky. Night was coming fast. Everyone seemed grateful to be free of the stale air of the cave.

      There were no people in sight. They had long since vacated the area to narrow their search to the other side of the forest. The plan had worked. But this was only good news for Aldhelm.

          “They’ll be waking any moment, we have to move!” Rolf hissed at Snape, who was wincing and trying not to put his full weight on his right ankle. So, despite the obvious pain it was causing him, Snape started forward. It was as though Rolf’s words had begun a fire within him, and he moved forward with a kind of determination that seemed to have been absent in the cave. They began to jog through the forest. Harry ran ahead of Snape, as he was faster. The party of three sped through the trees, Snape occasionally slowing them down thanks to having only one boot, and nothing but a sock to protect his foot. Still they pressed on. They dodged tree limbs and roots while the sky darkened above them.

         They had to have been approximately halfway out of the forest, and that was when - from somewhere in the depths of the trees behind them - an unnatural howl sounded. It was far away, but it was enough to make fear emerge on their faces for the first time.

      “Faster!” cried Rolf, running next to Harry. Snape, who looked very pale in the dim light, sped up despite his limp. He gritted his teeth, and they kept running. He momentarily caught up to Harry and Rolf, and raised his wand. A silver doe burst forth, its light seeming like an explosion in the growing darkness. It too galloped beside them. At its appearance, some of the lines on Snape’s face temporarily relaxed.

     “Lead Albus and the search crew to us.  Tell him there are werewolves in the forest, and that they stay werewolves longer than the full moon,” Snape gasped to the patronus as Harry watched curiously, a mixture of wonder and surprise on his face,

      The doe sped off with unnatural speed, leaving the party of three to navigate the forest, the sounds of howls echoing through the trees behind them.

      “What was that?” gasped Harry, clutching a stitch in his side.

       Snape just shook his head. There was a greyish sheen to his skin.

       Through the trees they continued, trying to escape before it was too late, the howls and crashing brush behind them the only thing keeping them moving. The sounds grew louder, and escape was not certain. Suddenly, a sound cried out above every other noise, and the shrill cry came from Rolf. Snape and Harry stumbled to a halt, gasping. Rolf was lying on the forest floor. Harry took a step back and gulped when he saw the blood running down Rolf’s furry snout, running from his eye. He had gouged it on a low branch. The werewolf’s breathing was laboured and quick, and he was shaking badly on the forest floor, drops of blood splattering the leaves.

      “I can’t see where I’m going like this,” Rolf gasped frantically, panicking. “I won’t make it. I’ll never outrun them like this!”

       “Rolf, eyes are tricky business to heal …” the Professor began, sounding grave and looking anywhere but at the wolf on the forest floor with his fur full of crimson.

     Rolf took a deep shuddering breath, blinking, gritting his teeth. It was clear he was in the middle of a dilemma.

      “I - I’ll send them another direction when they get here. Run!” Rolf cried, shaking like the wind battered tree limbs above them. Snape nodded upon hearing the urgency in Rolf’s voice. Harry did not move, and looked as though he wished to say something, but Professor Snape grabbed a hold of his arm and dragged him away.

       A few minutes later there was a high pitched yelp far behind them. Harry tried to stop once more, but Snape pulled him along, his eyes saying all. Saying that there was nothing to be done. That it was too late. Harry looked sick as they continued to run. Professor Snape looked no better, though this was probably more to do with the limp, for with every step he grew paler. They sped through the trees despite the growing fatigue that made their feet clumsy and slow. The trees rustled in the wind as though they too were reacting to chilling sounds of the howls. A white rabbit darted across the path in front of Harry and Snape, just as the edge of the forest came into view a few feet ahead. 

      Harry, whose feet clomped heavily on the forest floor, sped up slightly at the sight of the clearing. With sudden strength he burst out of the trees. But he heard Snape give a shout, and he whirled around just in time to see him trip over a log and slide to a halt on the edge of the trees.

     “Sir, look out!” cried Harry as a wolf shot out of the darkness, its eyes gleaming. Snape’s wand had flown out of his hand.

     It was Kellen. He stared angrily down at Snape, who was on the ground, clutching his ankle.

      “I told them you went this way, but they didn’t listen,” spat Kellen to Snape, eyes seeming to burn right through him. He had yet to see Harry. “I should never have trusted Rolf ... the traitor. And you will pay for it.” The rage made the wolf unrecognizable. He was nothing like the Kellen in the cave; the eyes of this wolf gleamed and lusted for blood, his killer instincts having fully taken over.

      “Leave me be!” Snape growled. Kellen thought it was meant for him, which he was supposed to think, but the split second of eye contact between Snape and Harry told who it was really for.

       Kellen just laughed, and Harry hesitated. But he turned and ran as the sense of urgency on Snape’s face increased. Kellen was not alerted to the presence of a second person, and only saw Snape. Harry ran as hard as he could, but he was tired, and had trouble moving quickly. He looked around desperately, looking for someone, anyone. He was lucky enough to make it up over a hill without being seen. As he started to go down the other side of the hill, with a small gasp of relief, Harry saw a group of six men from the Dangerous Creature Disposal Unit rushing toward him. There were red crests sewn to the front of their robes

      “There are werewolves, they’re in the forest,” Harry panted. “One of them ... it ...”

       “Keep going this way, son,” said one of the five people as they hurried toward the trees. “The Aurors are a few minutes behind us. Stay with them when you find them.” They did not bother to stop, but continued running, and entered the trees much further to the right than Harry had come from. And Harry was not fast enough to catch them.

       “Wait!” Harry cried, stumbling to the crest of the hill once more.“It’s Professor Snape ...”

       His steps faltered, until he was still. It was too late. He could not catch them, and he had not said what he had needed to in time. The group had missed Snape, having gone too far to the right side to see him. The colour draining from Harry’s face, he blatantly disobeyed the orders of the men, and started to run back to where he saw Snape last. He didn’t appear to consider the fact that Kellen, a fully-fledged werewolf, was there too. He should have been reminded of this, for the newly risen moon, full and bright, lit his way as he rushed down the side of the hill and to the edge of the forest. Instead his feet did the thinking.

      “Sir,” Harry said breathlessly, relief written on his face. Snape was kneeling, the prone form of Kellen lying nearby, clearly dead.

       “Go,” said Snape hoarsely. “Get away ... you can’t be here.”

       “Come on, we have to get to the castle.”

        There was no answer.

        “Professor?”

          Something dark was on Professor Snape’s hand. At first Harry thought it was dirt, but the moonlight illuminated it for Harry to see. It wasn’t dirt, it was blood. And then Harry saw the bite.

       “Get away from me!” Snape shouted frantically, stumbling and falling as his face started to change before Harry’s eyes. His ears grew pointed, his fingernails sharpened to claws. His eyes grew deep and wild.

       And the change had barely begun when it was finished. The transformation was complete, but Snape did not move. He stood there, trembling, wolfish eyes wide, coat – almost completely black - gleaming in the moonlight. He looked every bit like the others, except for the darker fur, and ears that were slightly more tufted.

       “Professor Snape?” Harry whispered.

       Harry took a step forward.

         “No …” said the wolfish voice, half Snape, half beast. His voice hitched as he tried to speak once more.

        It was as though hearing his voice had shaken him to his senses, and Snape took a step back with such speed it was as though he had been burned. His paws rustled the dirt and leaves of the forest floor. Then, without another word, he turned and launched himself into the darkness of the forest, and ran as though the devil was on his heels. Like he was trying to outrun even himself. Harry heard a long howl, trailing off into the forest. But it was not like any wolf baying to the moon; it was the painful sound of someone’s world falling down around them.

        Harry remained, fixed to the spot as the minutes slowly slid by, eyes still staring into the trees. Deep in the forest rang the shouting of spells, and the fighting sounds of wolves yelping and growling. In time the sound of footsteps on the ground sounded behind Harry. He didn’t bother to turn around.

       “Harry, thank goodness,” Hagrid said, extremely relieved. He put his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Come on. It’s not safe out here. Wouldn’ want ya ter get bit by summat.”

       Much to Hagrid’s shock, Harry said nothing, but instead hung his head, and let the tears fall while the moonlight washed over them.

      “Come back ter me hut for a while. It’s closest, I’ll make ya some tea,” Hagrid said softly as he led Harry by the shoulders.

       

        ***

     Harry awoke with a jolt. He was curled up in an armchair in Hagrid’s hut. He had fallen asleep shortly after getting there, not even able to say a word about the whole thing.

     Hagrid was not inside. The sun was just starting to come up, and Harry perked up at the sound of voices outside.  He got up quickly from the chair. Fang whimpered slightly as Harry made for the door. Harry did not pay any attention to this however, for he had already shut the door behind him. He was standing on the steps that led up into Hagrid’s hut, and watched as a long line of wolves, muzzled and chained were led by the tired looking Dangerous Creature Disposal Unit. Neither Rolf nor Snape were walking amongst them. Harry closed his eyes tightly as though he were willing the world away, his pale face standing out starkly against the dark bricks of the hut behind him. A whisper escaped from his trembling lips, his shaking voice barely audible.       

  “N-No matter what,” he told himself, his eyes closed tightly.       

       When he opened his eyes, he looked like he was going to be sick. But he walked over to Hagrid anyway, who was standing a little ways from the forest edge and watching the proceedings. Harry’s hands fiddled with the sleeve on his dressing gown, which was still torn and grimy from the cave.

        “There yeh are,” Hagrid said with a big smile when Harry came into view. Harry couldn’t quite return the smile, and few visible lines on Hagrid’s face crinkled with worry. “You don’t look ter be feelin’ much better. What’s wrong?”

   He just shook his head, watching the Dangerous Creature Disposal Unit take the chains that held the wolves and bind them to the ground, so that all the wolves stood in a line.

    “Mr. Potter, may I ask you a few questions?” asked one of the members of the D.C.D.U. He looked like he was in charge.

     Harry did not seem surprised in the least, and after a moment, nodded in response.

     “Thank you. Now, I suppose I shall get straight to business. First of all, the wolf with the torn ear was found dead, so it is not here, but other than that, can you tell me if there are any more wolves than the ones you see lined up here?”

     Harry paled further, but continued to stare determinedly at the line.

     “That’s all of them sir,” he croaked.

    “And what about Professor Snape? Where is he?  He has yet to be found.”

     Harry hesitated slightly, and glanced past the man. His leg twitched as he barely stopped himself from stepping back. There was a pair of eyes staring out from within the bushes on the forest edge. Harry swallowed.

      “He’s d-dead,” he managed.

        There was a flash of a tail, and the eyes were gone.

       “I’m sorry to hear,” said the man, face grim as Harry looked back at him.

      “Dead?” cried Hagrid, shocked.

      Harry bowed his head, looking at his feet.

     Hagrid’s question was lost on the others, for the D.C.D.U was lining up, one person for each werewolf. Harry looked up, anxiety written on his face.

     “Don’t worry son,” said the leader gently. “We’re just using a spell to put them to sleep for a little while, so we can transport them to a safe facility.”

     Harry nodded his head mechanically.

      “Ready … and, fire,” called the leader. Hagrid looked away as spells shot from the wands. The flash of green lit up the edges of the forest, and the wolves crumpled in a line, one by one. Harry watched them drop, the rushing noise still in the air.

      Somewhere, concealed by a few feet of brush, Snape watched too. His ears had flattened against his head, and he stood frozen for a few seconds before turning and running further into the depths of the forbidden forest.

     “Hagrid?” whispered Harry. “Do you know where Professor Dumbledore is? I have to tell him something.”

     “I should be able ter find him,” Hagrid said kindly, putting a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Come with me, lad.”

        So the two turned their backs against the line of wolves upon the ground, and neither looked back.

        Snape did.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2811