Lost Connections by R2M
Summary: Eileen Snape. His mother's name. Everyone at the table turned and looked at him as if he knew exactly who she was. Well Severus didn't. But the last thing he needed was for someone to believe he had abandoned his own progeny or that this girl was a cousin or niece or some other crazy notion. - A Severus becomes Harry's guardian story with a side of OC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Family, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 14133 Read: 16472 Published: 02 Mar 2013 Updated: 04 Jun 2015
The First Class by R2M
Author's Notes:
Hello everyone! I hope you are enjoying this story so far. I have quite a few of the next chapters outlined out so I think they will be posted relatively quickly (once a week?). This chapter is still also setting up much of what is to come. I realize that the Harry/Severus interactions are still minimal right now, but those will increase! Also, I believe that the mystery of who Eileen is will be sorted out in the next chapter.

Thank you for my reviewers and my followers so far! This is also my first time writing in a very long time and so I know I'm a little rusty. Please feel free to provide me any feedback or advice about my writing style. Also, this will begin to slightly diverge from the events of the book once I have established the foundation.

Thank you for reading, and here is Chapter Two:

Eileen was enjoying everything so far at Hogwarts. The classes were great and she was learning so much. Things she would never have learned at school in the orphanage. Even better, Eileen wasn't even behind in the coursework in comparison to everyone else. In fact, she believed that she was actually ahead. So far, she had been catching on to the material quick, but she definitely did not know as much as Hermione, who was a walking encyclopedia. Some of the other students didn't like that about Herm, but Eileen didn't mind. She truly enjoyed Hermione's sincerity about learning and the girl's spirit and interests complemented her own!

Eileen still also spent much of her free time with Harry and Ron. Ron had taught her some Wizarding games and much about the culture of this new world she now lived in. His sense of humor and easy-going nature was one that she admired, and it brought a lightness to her day that she hadn't felt so continuously in quite a while.

But despite that, Harry was her favorite friend so far at Hogwarts. They had an instant kinship that she couldn't explain. Maybe it was because they had both faced hardships in their lives or that they both didn't have anyone who really loved them anymore; regardless, she had already spent hours telling him so much about her life at the orphanage and her Da and he had told her all about his awful relatives, the Dursleys, and what he remembered about the day his parents died. Eileen wasn't sure that she would ever be able to find someone to whom she could relate to more closely.

Eileen would've liked all her friends to be friends with each other, but Ron and Hermione would just not get along; Ron kept emphasizing how he couldn't stand her. Hermione kept exclaiming how ignorant he was. Eileen had given up trying to make them friends, even though it exhausting to be around their mean-spirited bickering.

When walking to class, she quickly realized, it was often easiest to walk with either just Hermione or just Harry and Ron.

Today though she was walking with just Harry because Ron decided to talk to one of his brothers at breakfast about a letter from home. Walking around with Harry was unusual, Eileen decided. Everyone stared and pointed and discussed his scar. It was extremely annoying, and she was glad that she wasn't the center of all this attention. She wasn't sure how Harry was putting up with it, but he never really mentioned it to either her or Ron.

They were on their way to their first Potions Class with Professor Snape. Ron had mentioned earlier at breakfast that Professor Snape, as Head of the Slytherin House, favored his students more than anyone. Eileen wasn't sure if she believed it, but even if that was the case she didn't care. She had already read a little bit of her Potions book, and it had been so interesting that Eileen just knew this was going to be her favorite class!

Potions lessons took place in the dungeons, which were freezing. The classroom was set up with several long desks, big enough to seat two people. Hermione was already sitting in the first row with Neville Longbottom, so Eileen decided to sit behind her in the second row. She was glad to see that Harry chose to sit next to her and hadn't ditched her for Ron.

Snape began the class by taking the roll call, and like some of their other professors, he paused at Harry's name. However, unlike his colleagues, Professor Snape, drawled, almost cruelly in Eileen's mind, "Ah, yes. Harry Potter. Our new - celebrity."

Suddenly beginning to doubt how much she'd enjoy this class, she nervously said "Present," when the Professor called her name. Eileen saw the Professor evade her gaze, quickly moving on to the next student.

Odd, she thought to herself.

After roll call, the professor began to lecture on the subtleties of potion brewing, Eileen began to relax as this seemed much more normal. However, her sense of ease only lasted for a few minutes, because Professor Snape suddenly bellowed, "Potter!"

"What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

She knew Harry had no clue, and she only knew because she had read the second chapter of the textbook. Eileen took notice that Hermione's hand was raised in front of them, but the Professor, it seemed, could care less.

When Harry responded that he didn't know, Professor Snape sneered and insulted Harry's fame and intelligence.

Is this really happening, Eileen asked herself. She had never seen a professor treat a student like this, and she wanted to stop it from happening but she wasn't sure how.

While Eileen was trying to figure out what to do or how she could help, Professor Snape asked two more questions. She finally heard Harry respond for a third time,

"I don't know," before he continued quietly, "I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?"

A few of their classmates laughed, and Eileen took pride in Harry's courage and quick retort.

Professor Snape, however, was not pleased. He explained the answers to his questions and then yelled at the class "Well? Why aren't you all writing that down?"

Eileen felt so bad for Harry and was so frustrated with the class so far that when she heard the Professor continue speaking, "And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter" that she couldn't help but roar,

"THAT ISN'T FAIR!"

The class quieted suddenly.

Professor Snape sharply turned to look at her and spoke in a quiet, dangerous tone, "Excuse me?"

He was glaring so harshly that Eileen almost backed down. But then she remembered how the last few minutes had played out, how Harry had been bullied his entire life, and how Hogwarts was supposed to be a sanctuary for both of them from the troubles they had left behind.

Strengthening her resolve, "You pushed him into that response by asking him all those questions from random parts of the book. It isn't fair."

"Five points from Gryffindor, Miss Snape."

"But,"

"And a detention with me tonight. Would you like to continue?"

Harry kicked her under the table, and Eileen knew she had lost. Feeling tears at the back of her eyes, she kept her mouth shut.

Things didn't improve as the lesson continued. Professor Snape swept around in his long black cloak, criticizing almost everyone. He didn't approach the table where Harry and Eileen were working until Neville blew up his potion in front of them and was crouched in pain. Professor Snape ordered Seamus to take Neville to the hospital, before turning to glare at Eileen and Harry. Eileen almost thought he was going to blame them for the mess, but Snape just vanished the mess before continuing his rounds.

After class, none of the other students approached her and Harry except for Ron and Hermione, who tried to cheer them both up. Hermione exclaimed that she thought Eileen was very brave, while Ron told them that Snape was always taking points off and handing out detentions.

Regardless, after that class, all Eileen wanted to do was go back to her room and read in the privacy of her own bed. Hermione decided to accompany her, while Ron and Harry went to visit Hagrid.

Eileen hoped that neither her or Harry would ever have to interact with Snape like that ever again. In fact, she wished that they would never have to see his obnoxious, git of a face. What a monster!


Severus made his way past the gargoyle on the third floor into the concealed Headmaster's tower.

As he climbed up the circular staircase, he wondered why he had been summoned. He really hoped this had nothing to do with Potter and his interrogation earlier today. Severus, in hindsight, knew he had probably gone too far in Dumbledore's eyes, but it was nothing the child didn't deserve. Had he not opened a single book over the holidays? And the nerve Potter had to give him such cheek.

Reaching the top of the staircase, Severus knocked on the door.

"Come in," the voice called from within.

"You wished to see me, Albus?" Severus drawled as he entered the small office. If he was surprised to see Minerva sitting inside as well, he gave no indication.

Severus nodded to the smaller woman, who he respected more than anyone knew. The female Professor nodded back crisply, before gesturing that he should take a seat.

"Severus, would you like some tea," Albus asked calmly.

He shook his head. "I know you called me here for a reason. Better get on with it," he responded curtly.

Minerva gave him a disapproving look, most likely at his tone, before calmly inquiring as if he hadn't said anything, "How was your first day of classes?"

"As good as it could have been teaching dunderheads."

"Now surely they're not that bad," Albus added.

"Neville Longbottom ruined one of my desks and almost killed himself by not following some simple instructions! The rest weren't much better."

"What did Miss Snape do to call upon your wrath?" Minerva questioned calmly, but Severus could hear the undercurrent.

"Hmmmm? I don't believe she has seen my wrath."

Minerva pursed her lips, before continuing. "Then why does she have detention, Severus? It was your first class with them!"

"She had an outburst in my class. Yelled at me, undermined my authority. I first took points and when she continued, I gave her detention. It was well-deserved."

"That's so unusual as Miss Snape has been nothing but a delight in my class!"

"Minerva, leave it be. I trust Severus to not take advantage of his position as a Professor at this school," the Headmaster interjected.

"Thank you Albus," Severus said while attempting to hide any hint of guilt. While he truly believed Eileen deserved detention, he knew Albus would have disapproved of his behavior with Potter, the golden boy. "Now why have you both called me here?"

Minerva and Albus exchanged glances before Minerva stated, "There's quite a bit of resemblance between you and Miss Snape, Severus."

Severus scoffed, "Hardly."

Minerva continued, as if he hadn't spoken, "Even more interestingly, her name is Eileen, a tribute no doubt to your own mother."

"Purely coincidence. She's not my mother's daughter: there is no resemblance there. And she can't be mine."

"Are you sure? Miss Snape is an orphan."

Severus kept his shock hidden at this piece of information. "I am positive that no one I was intimate with during the war could be Eileen's mother. Now, I am done discussing Miss Snape and her origins. I have better ways to spend my time. Is there anything concrete you wish to discuss?"

Minerva shook her head, "Severus, don't blind yourself to opportunities." She gave a little cough before continuing, "Also, don't forget the faculty dinner tomorrow. It seems without a personal invitation, you seem to shirk your social responsibilities."

"I never shirk, Minerva. I will be there. Now may I be excused?"

"A lemon drop before you head out?" asked Albus, offering Severus the bowl.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2921