Eruption! by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Challenge by WhiteTail about a Natural Disaster at Hogwarts. When he looked out the window all he could see was thick smoke, and the smell of burning sulfer in the air. He swallowed the fear thickly, unable to believe that something like lava had penetrated Hogwarts
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Percy, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Challenges: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 105750 Read: 82690 Published: 21 Apr 2013 Updated: 11 Nov 2020
Chapter 10: Where do we go From Here? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So this story is winding down, and it's been amazing to write. This isnt the last chapter, I think it has maybe 2-3 chapters..or less. I could end it here, but as we know the aftermath in the tragedies that we see in life, is where the real survivors come out. Because it's on thing to survive the disaster, but it's another to live on when people you know didnt. It's hard...so it's not yet over.

"Professor I'm thirsty," Harry admitted after a moment.

He wasn't walking again, it seemed the man was more relaxed when he was out of harm's way completely. Harry was currently on his back, and thanks to Harry's handy map they were looking for more wayward students. He had his eyes fixated on Amanda's dot, he saw that Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew were still with her as they had been for the past 20 minutes.

He remembered after sneaking out to Hogsmeade that the teachers had said that Pettigrew had been killed. If that was so then why was he showing up on the map? The map didn't lie did it? Only one way to find out, which is why he they were now heading towards it, he didn't tell his Professor any of this however as he didn't know what the man's reaction would be. Everyone thought that Sirius Black was a killer and his Professor might kill the man before he heard the truth.

Severus nodded, not at all surprised, it was very hot in the castle. The lava was everywhere even if it wasn't. They were currently using bubble head charms so they could breathe easily, he didn't want Harry breathing in any of the air, even if it wasn't so bad this far up. "There's a bathroom just up ahead, you can get a drink there," he told him.

"Okay," Harry replied as he went back studying the map.

He felt the man turn the corner before he suddenly stopped. The stop was so sudden that Harry nearly fell, it was only the man's hands that stopped him from meeting the stone floor head first. He opened his mouth to ask Snape what was going on when he saw just who was in front of them, Sirius Black and he was holding Mandy!

"Black, I could kill you now and no one would be none the wiser," Severus hissed out dangerously., his wand pointed at the man's chest. He had seen the man coming out of the bathroom with a little girl, he was definitely familiar with. Harry was very fond of the child, and he would be damn if this imbecile harmed her.

Sirius was looking like a deer in headlights, but even then made sure that the child in his arms was not in harms way the best he could.

"Of all people, it would be you Snape. Just hang on a minute will you and let me explain," Sirius told him quickly.

He knew that if given a chance that Snape would definitely kill him without a care. He forced his eyes to stay on the dark ones trained on, even as he could see his godson on the back of the Slytherin's back.

"And why should I after what you did? After you were responsible for Lily's death?" Severus asked bitingly, feeling the child flinch hard on his shoulder, and made him aware that Harry was very much still here.

"I didn't betray my friends, I would never do that to James. Peter was the secret keeper, and I can prove it," Sirius rushed out quickly, his eyes flickering unconsciously to Harry. Who he saw to his relief was looking at him in only curiosity and not the fear he was so used to seeing.

"I highly doubt that Black, the Dementors have fled, but Mother Nature has provided another use at my disposal," Severus said darkly, watching as the man's face paled as he caught the hidden meaning.

He wasn't the only one as the child in Black's arms, suddenly turned to bury her face in the convict's chest to both his and Harry's horror.

"Manda!" Harry yelled out in frighteningly fearing that Black would hurt his friend.

"Harry? You're alive," Amanda said softly, as she turned to look at him, but kept one eye in the man's chest.

"Don't worry Manda, Snape will protect you," Harry was quick to tell her.

Amanda only shook her head. "Sirius isn't going to hurt me, he didn't betray your parents, or kill those muggles," she told him with a shrug.

"How do you know that? Everyone said he did, so it has to be true," Harry said refusing to hope. Even if he wished it was so, if Sirius was innocent, this meant he had another chance at a family.

"But it's not Harry,I was never given a trial, and I am innocent, and like I said I have proof," Sirius added in before Snape could say anything.

"What proof?" Harry asked softly, he wanted to believe, but he was cautious. He didn't want to get hurt again.

Sirius went to hold up the rat, in his hands before he froze staring at the oh so familiar map in Harry's hand. "Where did you get that Harry?" He asked softly.

Harry pulled the map to his chest possessively. "The twins gave it to me, it's mine. Professor Lupin said my Dad was Prongs," he told him with his chin jutted out as if he was daring the man to take it.

"I'm not going to take it from you, I just wanted you to know, that I'm Padfoot is all," Sirius said with a sad smile.

Harry gasped as he looked back at the map and then at Sirius before he nodded. He didn't know about Snape, but he was pretty much sold on that admission alone. They stared at one another for a moment before the sound of an angry throat clearing was heard.

"Harry seems inclined to always believe the best in people, I however need proof Black. And don't you dare try anything, I will curse before you can even blink," Severus warned him.

Sirius swallowed thickly, not at all from Snape's threat but from the moment he and Harry had just shared. He nodded as he held up the small container that held the stunned and bound rat, to the disgust of Amanda. "Like I said I have proof, this is Peter Pettigrew, otherwise known as Wormtail. And he was the secret keeper, not me," Sirius said gravely.

Severus stared at the rat, before his gaze turned back to Black, shaking with anger at this point. He couldnt believe the man in front of him, but it was his own fault for wasting his time and allowing the man to come up with this silly ploy to save his skin. "What kind of fool do you take me for Black?" He spat out.

Sirius opened his mouth to answer just what he thought before he found himself wincing as Amanda jabbed him in the rib with her finger, before shaking her head no. He smiled dryly to himself, they had clearly spent a bit to much time together. He took a breath before he turned to Harry.

"Can you tell me the names you see on the map in front of you?" Sirius asked calmly.

Harry nodded eagerly as he looked down. "Um, it says me, P'fessor Snape, Mandy, you, and Peter Pettigrew. It's been saying his name since I first seen you guys on the map like an hour ago," he admitted, looking around at his teacher who seemed to be choking on something.

"So it's true then," Severus said, unwilling to believe it but the fact were staring him in his face.

"All they could find of Peter was a finger, and this rat here has a missing toe," Sirius pointed quietly.

Severus nodded as he pulled out his wand. Though he could feel in his gut that Black was telling the truth, and the map was sort of proof he was a Slytherin. He said nothing to anyone as he pointed his wand at the rat.

"Animagus Revealio," he murmured softly, noticing that the rat lit up in a bright blue and he shook his head with a sigh. A blue signified that it was an Animagus, had it turned glowed gold it would have shown it was a normal animal. But this indeed was Peter Pettigrew, which meant as much as it pained him to admit it, Black was innocent.

"What's it mean?" Harry asked curiously.

"That I'm innocent," Sirius said with a shrug, but he had known all a long. He looked over at the Slytherin who had yet to say something. "Guess ole Snapey is in shock," he teased.

That seemed to break Severus out of whatever it was he was in, as he scowled. "Black, for your information, I," here he broke off as the castle gave a loud groan and he held his breath and froze, trying to make sense of all this.

"What was that?" Amanda breathed out fearfully.

"The castle is....it's....never mind about that. We need to get up higher," Sirius said unwilling to even explain a bit what was going on. He didn't want the children more afraid. He turned to start walking looking over at Snape who still had his godson.

"Snape, let's move," he said firmly.

"I am Black, Harry get out your map. Check to see if there are any children that are near us," he instructed the child.

"Okay," Harry said eager to please as he pulled out the map, as they started walking through the corridors.

~*~*~*~Outside on the Hogwarts Ledge~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, Dean was had pushed his grief in the back of his mind. He would find out the name of that 7th year Slytherin, when he made it out of here alive. He would tell her parents, how she had died, she had saved him and he owed her that much. He sniffled as he turned to look at the figure on the broom who he could see as they got closer, the robes were Gryffindor. Who was it though? He gasped loudly as the boy came to a sharp stop in front of them, grinning brightly.

"Neville," he breathed out in shock, unable to believe what he was actually seeing.

"I know, it's quite a shocker to me too," Neville replied with a bright grin. He watched as the boy seemed to shake his head as if he wasn't seeing clearly, but his smile only grew even brighter if possible.

"Yeah, never thought I'd be happy to see you on a broom," Dean said softly.

"Never thought I'd get on another but here I am," he said with a shrug but his eyes showed his pride at having accomplished that.

"Are you gonna help us too?" A timid voice from the right of Dean asked, it was the 4th year Ravenclaw. They didn't know her, so she wasn't sure if they would help them as well.

"Of course, I'm not gonna leave you us here," Neville said easily as he reached for her. "Do you mind if I get her first Dean?" He asked, very much aware that Seamus wasn't with him, which was strange as they were often together just like Harry and Ron. It was a shame that the 3rd year Gryffindor boys only have 5 as he was always the one without being in a pair.
"No I don't mind, just come back for us," he said seriously, remembering there was a first year as well on the ledge too.

"I will, don't worry," he promised as he got the girl situated behind him on his broom. "By the way, where's Seamus?" He asked curiously.

Dean swallowed thickly at the innocent question but could barely make out anything due to croak in his voice. He cleared his throat. "The lava separated us," was all he managed to get out.

Neville nodded seriously. "Well don't worry, he's a Gryffindor, he's probably already safe then," he said as he noticed the look on his room mates face.

Dean could only nod, as he had an internal battle not to let his grief over take him once more. He could cry for Seamus later in private, no one would be able to see his breakdown. He swallowed thickly once more as the first year boy pressed his face against his side. He didn't even know the kid, but they were in this together. He didn't care what house they were in, they just weren't alone, and that's all that mattered. He watched Neville fly off, hoping that the boy would indeed come back for them.

~*~*~*~*~*The corridors~*~*~*~*~

Fred and George Weasley were running, the fastest they had ever run before. They were gasping on their breaths but they didn't stop, not until they made their way to the Headmaster's office. They panted slightly, looking worried at the guardian, they couldnt even attempt to say a sweet let own guess. Which was fine for them as it slowly opened for them and they headed up the steps. Fred opened the office door, his face red with extertion as he got his first glance of the office. This was first time, coming to it, without being in trouble. It was a strange feeling and he shook that away he had better things to worry about, more important things. Like why the hell was Ron asleep on the couch with...Draco Malfoy?

"Headmaster?" George spoke as he scooted passed his brother and into the office.

Albus sighed in relief, well that was 3 of the 4 boys that were safe. But he knew Molly and she counted Harry as an extension of her boys so they were not all safe, not to mention what happened to Percy Weasely?

"It's so good to see you boys," he said relief evident in his tone.

"It's good to see you too Headmaster, but this isn't a social call as you know," Fred said trying to make light of the situation only to blink back the sudden onslaught of tears.

George rubbed his brother's shoulder as he glanced over at the two boys asleep on the sofa. "Why haven't you flooed them out yet?" He asked quietly, trying try prolong sharing the information. That made it real, instead of them feeling like they had only just imagined it.
"They don't wish to go at this time, and they're safe here. Not to mention that is Draco Malfoy as you can see, and as much as I'm sure his family is worried it would be, excuse my language boys hell if Lucius Malfoy attempted to floo over here. At the moment everyone is gathered at the Ministry or St. Mungos," Albus replied.

George nodded. "And Ron, why is he still here? He was supposed to have flooed out of here like an hour ago or so in McGonagall's office,"

"He was, but he ran away and went looking for Harry, and found Draco instead. It's long story boys, but Harry is fine," Albus told them quickly just in case they got anymore ideas.

"We know, we saw him with Professor Snape, actually that's what we're here to talk to you about. Professor Snape gave us a message to give you, he said to tell to check the infirmary they're are still students and Poppy up there," George replied quietly.

Albus gasped and quickly stood up, knocking over the thick registry book in his haste. The book slammed to the floor, and the two boys on the couch jumped up, looking around sleepily.

"Headmaster?" Draco asked blearily as he looked around.

"Sorry boys," Albus replied as he grabbed the floo power and tossed it into the fireplace, floo calling the infirmary. No one picked up, so he tried Poppy's office, hoping she was there.

"Fred? George?" Ron whimpered out as he looked at his brothers. That was all the warning he got as he threw himself at him.

"Ronnie, we said we'd be fine. Now why are you still here. Merlin, Mom is worried sick I bet," Fred said as he hugged his brother tightly.

"Cause Harry was here, and then Percy was flickering in the book, and I don't know what's wrong!" He cried out.

George sighed quietly, well as much as he didn't want to do it, this really was the moment of truth. "Percy's at St. Mungos, Professor Snape, port-keyed him there," he told his brother.

"Why? Was he hurt really bad?" Ron asked out tearfully, afraid for his older brother.

"Yeah, he was hurt really bad," George replied quietly as he shook his head.

"Is he gonna be okay?" Ron asked as he took a shuddering breath.

"I think so," Fred replied vaguely, he didn't want to worry the boy.

"Oh okay, that's good then right?" Ron asked, needing confirmation anyway, even though they just told him.

"Yeah," George replied in the same soft tone.

Draco was watching this whole scene enviously, he had always teased Weasely for having such a huge family. But now watching them interact and comfort one another, he had never felt more alone then he did a that moment. He had no one to tell him, that everything was going to be okay. He lost two of his friends today, they had died because of his stupid idea to stay back, and that was all his fault. He would forever live with that guilt, with that grief. He hugged his torso as he looked at the brothers engulfed in a hug, wishing that he had that or could at least be apart of it.

He shook his head, turning his gaze to the floor as tears suddenly filled his eyes. This was too much to witness, and as the calming draught had long worn off, this was the price of suppressing those emotions. He choked on a sob trying to stay quiet, he didn't want them to see him in this moment of shame. Malfoys never showed weakness, but he was only 13 and still only a child. So maybe that didn't apply to him right?

It was Fred who had seen it first, he glanced up at the first of the sob thinking it was his brother only to see the Slytherin across from them. Well duh, of course the boy was crying, Ron was they had been through something emotional. The only difference was Malfoy didn't have anyone to comfort him. He sighed softly, not wanting to go over there and get the boy, but Merlin if his mother was here, he knew she would have done it without thought. He glanced towards the Headmaster who seemed to be busy with the fireplace and shook his head. He gently pulled himself away from his brother, turning Ron into George.

"What...?" George asked, looking to his twin and following, before nodding. "Oh," he murmured.

Fred sighed, wondering as he made the short distance to the Slytherin third year if the boy was going to reject him. Well if he did, he could say he had tried and if he wanted to suffer alone go for it. But at least he wouldn't have this bit of guilt on his conscious that sounded strangely like his mother. He didn't say anything as he stopped in front of the boy. He knew the small teen had seen him as he saw him tense up.

"Go away," Draco whispered out tearfully, so very sure that the boy was over here to gloat. He wasn't even sure who he was, as he could only see the shoes.

"Naw I don't think I will," Fred said easily, taking a chance and pulling the boy to his chest a moment later. It was a stiff hug, one he hadn't ever experience before, but strangely Malfoy didn't pull away, and he took that as good. It took maybe 30 seconds for the boy to finally relax against him and cry in earnest. He ran his fingers through the white blonde hair, as he comforted the boy, looking over at his twin with a smirk that mirrored his own as they were doing the same thing.

"I didn't see that coming," George murmured quietly before shaking his head in disbelief at Fred.

Albus turned around to look at the boys in his office and had to smile at them for a moment. It was nice to see that the children could come together in such a dire situation. He nodded as he turned back to Poppy.

"So how many students did you say you had with you now?" Albus asked her.

"I have 5 left, the others flooed out. But I ran out of floo powder as my canister was only half full to start with," Poppy replied.

"Here I will give you some, and then get those student's out of there," Albus replied seriously.

"I need a port-key, they can't floo on their own. They need to get St. Mungos, these burns are the worse I've seen Albus and they need a healer, as I cannot be one for them right now," she replied gravely.

"Give me but a moment," he said as he pulled out of the fireplace, rushing through one of his doors, to grab a port-key to the Hospital before grabbing a container of floo powder. He only took about 3 minutes or so before he returned but with the lava rushing as it was it seemed he might have taken too long. He could hear the screams through the open fireplace, and he cursed his forgetfulness.

In the infirmary, Poppy was trying to calm her students down, the lava had made the small office, boiling hot. It had breached the door and was slowing coming in underneath the door. She wondered how long the door would hold. She was trying to comfort her students, by staying calm but honestly it didn't look good for them.

"Albus!" She called through the open connection. She couldn't floo two of her students, it was too risky. It would risk their lives even more given the state of their injuries, so she needed that port-key.

"I'm here," Albus replied as he stuck his arm through the connection and held out the sock port-key and the floo powder.

"Ginny go!" Poppy told her, as she was was able bodied, and she could made the floo.

Ginny grabbed the 2 boys next to her, waiting as the Headmaster moved before grabbing the powder and disappearing into the flames. She didn't shout out a destination, in her haste but it didn't matter, it had taken her to the Headmaster's office. She really hoped that the Medi-witch would be okay, as the when they had flooed she had seen the door finally crumble. She stumbled out of the floo and looked around the office.

"Fred? George? Ron?" She whispered out thankfully, well they were safe and she could breathe a bit easier. Funny how she hadn't known she hadn't been breathing well. She hurried towards her brother's noticing slightly that the white blonde hair didn't belong in the midst of redheads but she said nothing. Now was really not the time.

"Ginny, mum's gonna kill you. You were supposed to have left a long time ago," George chided solemnly.

"No, mum's gonna kill you. You were supposed to make sure that Ron left and I," she said cheekily. "You're the oldest,"

Fred shook his head. "Percy's the oldest," he whispered out.

"Where is he?" She asked curiously. "Probably still giving out pompous orders right? Just because he's the head boy," She asked with a shake of her head as she rolled her eyes knowing her older brother was doing just that.

"No, don't joke Ginny," George told her soberly.

"What's wrong?" She asked, her tone instantly changing as she caught his serious tone. "What's happened?" She whispered out fearfully.

"Percy at St. Mungos," Fred said vaguely.

"Is he okay?" Ginny asked quietly, he heart thudding hard in her chest. God she felt like she was going to pass out. She took back everything she every thought bad about her older brother, she didn't mean. Merlin just let him be okay.

"He's alive," Was Fred's answer. "We need to go, to get out the castle, and see mum and tell her," he told her nodding for her to take the floo powder.

"Headmaster if we may?" George asked quietly.

Albus looked up from where he had flooed the other two boys to safety and nodded. "Of course, my boys," he told them gesturing to them to come towards the fireplace.

"Be strong Draco, it's not your fault. They all had a mind of their own, and they chose. It wasn't the right choice, but it was their choice, not yours," Fred told him seriously, as he pressed his forehead against the smaller teen's forehead before pulling away.

"Are you leaving?" Draco whispered out hoarsely. He had liked the feeling of being comforted like that, only his mother did that now and only when his father wasn't around. He missed human contact, the teen hadn't really said much but he was starting to feel a lot better anyway just from the comforting touch.

"Yeah," Fred replied as he looked over at his siblings they were all crammed into the fireplace. Guess they were all flooing together, it had been a long time since they had done this. But apparently no one wanted to go alone.

"Can I come?" Draco found himself asking before he could help himself. He didn't want to be alone with the Headmaster, not to mention he didn't want to lose the comfort he didn't even know he craved.

"I don't think so, your father is going to be looking for you," Fred replied truthfully. And honestly a Malfoy hanging around the Weasleys, that would turn heads at the hospital and he didn't want to go there. Not to mention, Lucius Malfoy had connections everywhere, and his brother's life was already on the line as it was.

Draco's eyes filled with tears at that, so he was getting left again. It always boiled down to what his father wanted or would do. Would he never get a chance to decide on his own? Would anyone ever see that he wasn't the man? To prove that he wasn't a replica of the man he resembled so much? He pushed the older teen away from him, of course he would never let him come with them. Just because he had comforted him didn't mean anything, it never did. He would forget about that, the teen obviously already did. He sniffled as made his way back to the couch, burying his face in arm of the sofa.

Fred looked from the boy to back to his siblings, but there really was nothing he could. Draco couldn't come with them. The boy was in mourning and he felt horrible for leaving him, but his family came first and Malfoy didn't really need him did he? He sighed but he hurried towards the fireplace, giving the teen one last sad look he didn't see before he nodded to the Headmaster and flooed away to home with his siblings.

~*~*~*~*~The corridors~*~*~*~*~

Severus walked briskly down the hall with Harry on his back, the boy hadn't uttered much in the past half hour they had found themselves with Black. Currently even with the map, they hadn't seen anymore children who needed help, or otherwise. The castle was groaning, and pretty much deserted but he knew it was far from empty. Albus had told them, how many students were left still. There no more Slytherins in the castle, he was pretty sure they had the last of the Gryffindors, so that left the Hufflepuff house and Ravenclaw. The only problem was, he couldn't find anyone, and he needed to get Harry and Amanda to safety, they're lives were important as well.

"Where are we going?" Sirius asked out quietly.

"To the Headmaster's office, so we can floo from there," Severus replied honestly.

"Have you seen Remus?" He asked, before the children could ask why they were abandoning their search.

"I saw him earlier, when we went to rescue my Slytherins. He flooed to St. Mungos with my 3rd year Slytherin," he replied briskly.

"Oh, okay then," Sirius said well at least his old friend was safe.

"So what's going to happen now Professor?" Harry asked curiously.

"Black is going to floo somewhere else, the tragedy at Hogwarts is taking over everything. And if he were to go out he's still a wanted convict, regardless of that rat," Severus told the child.

"Its fine, I know where I can go," Sirius murmured at the boy's look. He was still slightly amazed at how he and Severus were tolerating each other. Granted he was sure that majority of it was for the children's sake, he couldn't help but think that the other man wasn't so bad. Especially if one forgot that he was a snake.

"Good, because this as far as my goodwill towards you is going to go Black. You may be innocent, but you are still an insufferable git, not to mention a prick," Severus told him quietly but he knew the children had probably heard it anyone.

"That's not a nice word Professor," Harry told the man softly.

"It's never nice when it's true Harry, hush," Severus admonished the boy gently.

Harry pouted but he obediently quieted, turning to look at his godfather. He had so many things he wanted to ask the man, like why his Professor and him hated one another. He wanted to know everything but he obviously couldn't ask now. He sighed as he held the man loosely around the neck.

"I need to ask this, I've been wondering it since you first came to us. Why do you have Harry on your back?" Sirius asked him quietly.

"I was the one who pulled him back when Amanda fell. I'm going to assume, it was you who caught her," Severus replied.

"Yeah it was me, I knew Harry hadn't fallen. I'm just surprised that you would save James Potter's son, given what we did to you," Sirius said shaking his head in disbelief. He couldn't wrap his head around that.

"He's Lily's son too," Severus remarked in a clipped tone, as he gave Sirius a dark look. "Shut up," he hissed out.

"Okay okay," Sirius muttered out as he quieted, one look at his godson knew that they would eventually have to explain this, but now was clearly not the time. He said nothing as they hurried to the Headmaster's office. The guardian they noted slid open and they finally allowed themselves to breathe a sigh of relief as the stairs went up.

It was all over right? Where did they go from here? And what was they going to do about all the casualties? Severus was going to ask Albus all of those questions, when the children were safely away. They didn't need to hear that particular discussion, frankly he didn't even want to have it.

But they must, because they had to go forward. But how did one pick up the pieces after such tragedy like this one? Would everything ever go back to the way it was, or had it changed for good? What would happen to them now?

The End.
End Notes:
Always review, it's good motivation to write...I sat here for 2 hours finishing this chapter bcause of a review I got. It was nice and warm that I just had to post it today!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2935